And so on...

Much easier for a.netters to pronounce.
:roll:
You may like my airport photos:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/aeroports

ro1960

Re: Meridiana to be renamed Air Italy

Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:21 pm

Meridiana was named Alisarda before because based in Olbia, Sardinia, somewhat in the middle of the Mediterranean Sea.

Jayafe

Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:22 pm

ro1960 wrote:
Air Catalonia

That's not a country :liar:

ro1960

Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:28 pm

YIMBY wrote:

But I agree, If their immediate goal is to pursue for replacing Alitalia as the "national airline", then Air Italy would work better.

Why in Engligh, though? Neither the word "Air" nor the word "Italy" are in the Italian language. Air(a) Italia would make more sense for a "national airline".

ro1960

Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:30 pm

Jayafe wrote:
ro1960 wrote:
Air Catalonia

I know but there was a very long discussion about how it is difficult to pronounce "Vueling" (for English speakers). Europeans can say it just fine.

albertocsc

Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:44 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
The name Meridiana is somehow related to Mediterranean, which makes sense because Italy is in the Mediterranean sea. But the name could also work in Spain, southern France, Greece, etc. The name Air Italy only works in Italy.

There was already a Meridiana Spain ages ago, and it failed...

leleko747

Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:47 pm

Someone here suggested "ITALIANA" and I find it simply perfect.

I like "Meridiana" a lot. Air Italy is too generic...
I wonder when people will understand:
Embraer 190 or simply E190, not ERJ-190. E-Jets are NOT ERJs!
Boeing 747-8, not Boeing 747-800. Same goes for 787.
Airbus A320, not Airbus 320.
Airbii does not exist.

speedbird52

Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:48 pm

I dislike the idea of having an Italian flag carrier use an English name.

airzona11

Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:18 pm

speedbird52 wrote:

How did "Alitalia" work out? While I get the reasons, the branding and positioning is what matters. Deliver italian hospitality to differentiate vs the name,

Yahnih

Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:18 pm

People are so interesting here.. I think some people are just so opinionated on th Meridiana name as if they fly it often (which I doubt).

Air Italy makes sense to be it recognizable as the goal to be the national airline. When you gets things like Level, Joon, Scoot, Peach, Vanilla, & any other overly creative names.. its hard to recognize where they fly from an average consumer.

Can someone else name a national airline that doesn’t have their country’s name in it??? Air Italy makes sense without being too similar to Alitalia

runway23

Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:25 pm

Yahnih wrote:

Can someone else name a national airline that doesn’t have their country’s name in it??? Air Italy makes sense without being too similar to Alitalia

Etihad
Lufthansa
KLM
Qantas
Aeroflot
Aer Lingus

The list goes on...

speedbird52

Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:43 pm

runway23 wrote:
Yahnih wrote:

Etihad
Lufthansa
KLM
Qantas
Aeroflot
Aer Lingus

The list goes on...

Lufthansa literally translates to Air Germany. KLM is an acronym for Koninklijke Luchtvaart Maatschappij (Royal Aviation Society). (Okay that has very little to do with the Netherlands) Qantas is an acronym for Queensland and Northern Territory Aerial Services.

flyboy_se

Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:19 am

speedbird52 wrote:

Is Italian name but aircraft registered in Ireland better ?
I prefer to be crazy and happy rather than normal and bitter

LHRBFSTrident

Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:43 am

ro1960 wrote:
Meridiana was named Alisarda before because based in Olbia, Sardinia, somewhat in the middle of the Mediterranean Sea.

IIRC - the rebrand to Meridiana was an attempt to move away from only being associated with routes between Sardinia and the mainland - I believe the name was chosen because it worked equally well in the Italian and Spanish markets because - if I remember the Flight International article from back then correctly - there was to be a joint venture/branding/alliance/merger (?) with a Spanish carrier to expand the carrier's reach to being more pan-Mediterranean. The name Meridiana was chosen because it was deliberately vague as to geography & language of origin.

As to what happened to that grand plan? I believe the Spanish side failed pretty quickly, leaving Meridiana with a more modest reach than anticipated, still reliant on it's bread & butter traffic to & from Sardinia but with a rather niche expansion where AZ couldn't possibly compete for structural reasons: FLR > major EU cities, for instance (although the FLR ops may have started quite a bit later than the change in strategy)

steman

Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:01 am

Why do some people here keep on saying that the name Meridiana has something to do with the Mediterranean? The words are completely different in their roots. Meridiana has to do with Meridian (Greenwich Meridian anyone?) or Sundial (which is has to do with the north-south orientation of meridians) or the Italian Meridione ( which means South).
I think it´s a very nice name for an airline but I understand the reasoning behind wanting to change into something more easily associated with Italy, although Air Italy sounds really cheap to me.

YIMBY

Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:17 am

ro1960 wrote:
Jayafe wrote:
ro1960 wrote:
Air Catalonia

I know but there was a very long discussion about how it is difficult to pronounce "Vueling" (for English speakers). Europeans can say it just fine.

Which English airline names are easy to pronounce for non-English speakers that are a vast majority of European passengers?

ro1960

Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:28 am

speedbird52 wrote:
Lufthansa literally translates to Air Germany.

I can understand that you're not fluent in German but you should be fluent in Google search :D

Luft = Air
Hansa = reference to the Hanseatic League also called Hanse or Hansa, a merchant guild from northern Germany.

The word for "Germany" is "Deutschland".

ro1960

Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:42 am

YIMBY wrote:
ro1960 wrote:
Jayafe wrote:

Which English airline names are easy to pronounce for non-English speakers that are a vast majority of European passengers?

I think they're all pretty easy to pronounce. I was referring to a thread where Vueling's prononciation was vastly debated.

ro1960

Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:44 am

speedbird52 wrote:

I am very fluent in Google Search, however my Google translate is not very fluent at all :P

From some Googling I had done before, I was under the impression Hansa is a informal way to refer to Germany. Kind of like Yank for Americans.

Yank Air could be a nice airline name :D

speedbird52

Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:44 am

ro1960 wrote:
speedbird52 wrote:
Lufthansa literally translates to Air Germany.

I can understand that you're not fluent in German but you should be fluent in Google search :D

Luft = Air
Hansa = reference to the Hanseatic League also called Hanse or Hansa, a merchant guild from northern Germany.

The word for "Germany" is "Deutschland".

I am very fluent in Google Search, however my Google translate is not very fluent at all :P

From some Googling I had done before, I was under the impression Hansa is a informal way to refer to Germany. Kind of like Yank for Americans.

Cunard

Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:58 am

Your last sentence regarding Hansa I have never heard before and I deal with a lot of Germans in my line of work!

I think you have got that totally wrong in my opinion.
94 Countries, 327 Destinations Worldwide, 32 Airlines, 29 Aircraft Types, 182 Airports, 335 Flights.

oldannyboy

Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:03 am

albertocsc wrote:
PatrickZ80 wrote:
The name Meridiana is somehow related to Mediterranean, which makes sense because Italy is in the Mediterranean sea. But the name could also work in Spain, southern France, Greece, etc. The name Air Italy only works in Italy.

There was already a Meridiana Spain ages ago, and it failed...

Meridiana (Spain) was a wholly owned subsidiary of -you guessed it- Meridiana (Italy).

YIMBY

Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:04 am

ro1960 wrote:
YIMBY wrote:
ro1960 wrote:

I think they're all pretty easy to pronounce. I was referring to a thread where Vueling's prononciation was vastly debated.

No they aren't. Starting from the word 'air', Few non-english-speaking people pronounce it like [æː] or [ɛɹ] or /ɛə(ɹ)/ as officially recommended but rather as [aɪr].
Another word, jet, is usually pronounced like 'yet'.

English is one of the most difficult languages to pronounce correctly. Usually Europeans communicate with a broken English that is understandable for many other Non-English Europeans but hard for an American who has never been exposed to foreigners.

oldannyboy

Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:07 am

LHRBFSTrident wrote:
ro1960 wrote:

IIRC - the rebrand to Meridiana was an attempt to move away from only being associated with routes between Sardinia and the mainland - I believe the name was chosen because it worked equally well in the Italian and Spanish markets because - if I remember the Flight International article from back then correctly - there was to be a joint venture/branding/alliance/merger (?) with a Spanish carrier to expand the carrier's reach to being more pan-Mediterranean. The name Meridiana was chosen because it was deliberately vague as to geography & language of origin.

As to what happened to that grand plan? I believe the Spanish side failed pretty quickly, leaving Meridiana with a more modest reach than anticipated, still reliant on it's bread & butter traffic to & from Sardinia but with a rather niche expansion where AZ couldn't possibly compete for structural reasons: FLR > major EU cities, for instance (although the FLR ops may have started quite a bit later than the change in strategy)

They actually started simultaneously with the name change (and the arrival of 4 BAe 146s) and the name was indeed changed to reflect the pan-European flying ambitions on the newly opened Florence base, which was the first base with international destinations (aside from some season leisure routes from Sardinia).

Jayafe

Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:07 am

YIMBY wrote:
English is one of the most difficult languages to pronounce correctly. Usually Europeans communicate with a broken English that is understandable for many other Non-English Europeans but hard for an American who has never been exposed to foreigners.

What americans pronounce is actually what British call broken English :rotfl:

oldannyboy

Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:10 am

Yahnih wrote:
People are so interesting here.. I think some people are just so opinionated on th Meridiana name as if they fly it often (which I doubt).

Well, I actually do... sorry.. :bigthumbsup:

oldannyboy

Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:11 am

Jayafe wrote:
YIMBY wrote:

What americans pronounce is actually what British call broken English :rotfl:

See, we're two countries divided by a language, and united by an ocean... :spin: :rotfl:

Airdolomiti

Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:00 pm

I'm a bit torn on this one. I realise that Air Italy might be simpler to relate to for the wider public, but at the same time it sounds terribly cheap and cliché. Air Italia would be even worse.

Although Meridiana's reputation is a bit tarnished in the domestic market, I still think their name sounds classy. I'm sure a new logo could be developed that incorporates the national colours, if that's what it takes to associate it with Italy.

flyboy_se wrote:
Plus a big chunk of Italy, almost half of it is in the Adriatic Sea as well.

... and in the Ionian Sea, the Thyrrenian Sea, and the Ligurian Sea. All of which (including the Adriatic Sea) are subdivisions of the Mediterranean Sea :)

speedbird52 wrote:
Lufthansa literally translates to Air Germany. KLM is an acronym for Koninklijke Luchtvaart Maatschappij (Royal Aviation Society). (Okay that has very little to do with the Netherlands) Qantas is an acronym for Queensland and Northern Territory Aerial Services.

But how many people outside our the aviation enthusiast community know what the acronyms KLM and QANTAS stand for? KLM works thanks to the suffix "Royal Dutch Airlines", while QANTAS' use of the 'roo in its logo also makes it easier to associate with Australia.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos