Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

AMollenhauer9
Topic Author

Ethiopian to launch Chicago O'Hare service

Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:04 pm

http://thereporterethiopia.com/article/ethiopian-fly-chicago

Looks like they plan to launch service in June of 2018. It will be Chicago's only service to Africa.

atcsundevil

Re: Ethiopian to launch Chicago O'Hare service

Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:11 pm

Interesting. I assume this will be with a 788?

smi0006

Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:12 pm

Always exciting to see ET expand. Hoping to see them in AU/MEL one day! Wishing them the best of luck!

izbtmnhd

Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:43 pm

Is this direct both ways? No fuel stop in FCO? Or has the 788 ended the need for that?

Midwestindy

Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:49 pm

Exciting news!
Status for 2019/2020: AAdvantage Platinum, Delta Gold, Southwest A-List

smi0006

Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:49 pm

izbtmnhd wrote:
Is this direct both ways? No fuel stop in FCO? Or has the 788 ended the need for that?

What is their fleet plan? Wiki seems a bit out of date? 359 for long haul? 788/789 for midhaul and 77W& L fo high density?

Skyblue39

Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:19 pm

izbtmnhd wrote:

They don't fuel stop in Rome any more. That was moved to Dublin over a year ago.
They route from Addis Ababa to Los Angeles, Washington and Toronto all via Dublin.
Washington and Toronto are all nonstop eastbound, whereas Los Angeles goes back to ADD via DUB
ET have transport rights on Addis - Dublin - LAX - Dublin - Addis.

izbtmnhd

Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:36 pm

Skyblue39 wrote:
izbtmnhd wrote:

They don't fuel stop in Rome any more. That was moved to Dublin over a year ago.
They route from Addis Ababa to Los Angeles, Washington and Toronto all via Dublin.
Washington and Toronto are all nonstop eastbound, whereas Los Angeles goes back to ADD via DUB
ET have transport rights on Addis - Dublin - LAX - Dublin - Addis.

Thank you!

behramjee

Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:57 pm

I would have rather have them do ADD-LOS-IAH 3-4 weekly on the B787/A359 as its way higher yielding + bigger demand.

ORD most likely will also end up being operated via DUB but I reckon it will be on the B789 or A359 as the B788 may not be able to operate with a full payload nonstop from ORD to ADD.

ORDfan

Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:34 pm

Awesome news! Looking forward to seeing them grace the airfield and T5!

behramjee wrote:
I would have rather have them do ADD-LOS-IAH 3-4 weekly on the B787/A359 as its way higher yielding + bigger demand.

Ya because you know what's better and better yielding for the airline than its executives. Who exactly is operating ADD-IAH or Africa anywhere to IAH today? Using "higher" yields/demand that you cannot prove to justify what you'd rather see based on self-interest makes ZERO sense to me.

oldannyboy

Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:42 pm

Is the flight via Dublin?
Great news! Love ET!!!

United787

Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:35 pm

Great news for ORD! Chicago seems to be on a roll lately with new international carriers! Also nice for UA to have another *Alliance partner at their largest hub.

smi0006

Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:41 pm

behramjee wrote:

ORD most likely will also end up being operated via DUB but I reckon it will be on the B789 or A359 as the B788 may not be able to operate with a full payload nonstop from ORD to ADD.

Does the Nigerian bilateral allow this? I suspect maybe more expensive in many ways for an African stop overs, over an established semi scissor hub on DUB.

thomasphoto60

Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:47 pm

United787 wrote:
Great news for ORD! Chicago seems to be on a roll lately with new international carriers! Also nice for UA to have another *Alliance partner at their largest hub.

Indeed, not too bad for a city if you believe all the media reports is on the verge of economic Armageddon (well, at least according to one media outlet anyways).
"Show me the Braniffs"

jbs2886

Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:48 pm

I mentioned on the ORD thread, but I wonder if SNN is a possibility for a stop. This would be similar to the current DUB stops by ET, but would pick up passengers otherwise on the now-cancelled UA flight. Will be interesting.

dfwjim1

Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:54 pm

Why Chicago?

RJNUT

Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:03 pm

EWR is routed thru Lome and offers very good connections to West,Cental and Southern Africa. could Chicago route the same?

LAXdude1023

Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:03 pm

ORDfan wrote:

behramjee wrote:

Ya because you know what's better and better yielding for the airline than its executives. Who exactly is operating ADD-IAH or Africa anywhere to IAH today? Using "higher" yields/demand that you cannot prove to justify what you'd rather see based on self-interest makes ZERO sense to me.

LOS-IAH is a massive market (much, MUCH larger than ORD-ADD). Its also very high yielding. UA flew it for years. It tanked when oil tanked.

Frankly, ADD-LOS-IAH makes more sense than ORD-ADD. I dont think the bilateral allows it though.
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD BRING BACK THE PAYWALL!!!!

Skyblue39

Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:14 pm

jbs2886 wrote:
I mentioned on the ORD thread, but I wonder if SNN is a possibility for a stop. This would be similar to the current DUB stops by ET, but would pick up passengers otherwise on the now-cancelled UA flight. Will be interesting.

Not a chance! They’ll consolidate all Ireland ops at DUB

stlgph

Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:31 pm

So, what are the chances this thing stops in Ireland, does pre-customs clear, and comes and goes from T1 at O'Hare?
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

drerx7

Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:38 pm

ORDfan wrote:

behramjee wrote:

Atlas operates IAH-LAD for Sonair in a premium heavy 744 2x weekly.
HOUSTON, TEXAS

berari

Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:08 pm

dfwjim1 wrote:
Why Chicago?

Connectivity opportunities with UA come to mind, like what's available in all its US destinations. I can't find information Africans living in the ORD area.

It could also be an opportunity to consolidate Midwest originating traffic at ORD while IAD focuses on traffic from the Eastern US (will capture those that are now spending a night at IAD to catch ET to ADD and beyond.) I have noticed in the past that the first UA flight out of ORD into IAD was tight for connection onto the ET flight to ADD, and now there's no longer any connectivity because the first UA flight arrives later in the AM.

RJNUT wrote:
EWR is routed thru Lome and offers very good connections to West,Cental and Southern Africa. could Chicago route the same?

Interestingly ET had wanted to fly into JFK but couldn't make the slots work for it, so it switched to EWR. It has the advantage of flying into a UA hub for the sake of connectivity, but if one were doing LOS-LFW-EWR-XXX for example, they're likely better off doing LOS-Europe-XXX. The existing service tends to be ideal for West Africa-NYC O&D traffic.

LAXdude1023 wrote:
ORDfan wrote:

behramjee wrote:

LOS-IAH is a massive market (much, MUCH larger than ORD-ADD). Its also very high yielding. UA flew it for years. It tanked when oil tanked.

Frankly, ADD-LOS-IAH makes more sense than ORD-ADD. I dont think the bilateral allows it though.

ADD-LHR-IAH also makes sense, or ADD-LAD-IAH, if we were to throw out random options without consideration to rights and hub operations. But the reality is that ET has consolidated its West African operations in and out of LFW. LOS, while a source of high yields for many airlines, is not easy to get rights in/out of and ET has historically threaded carefully in that space. ET has gone for more landing rights into more Nigerian cities rather than focusing on growing LOS alone. If ET is to pursue an ex-LOS service, then it'd miss out on connectivity from other West African cities that it would have ex-LFW. The appetite for ET to set up shop may also not be there, recent upheaval following rumours of ET buying/taking over Arik were a true test.

What LFW offers ET is the ability for it to tap into additional Nigerian markets beyond LOS. KP (Asky) only has a daily flight into LOS and four flights a week to Abuja. Neither city gets a large aircraft, with Q400s primarily and some flights operated using 73Ws. LOS does not appear to be a high traffic destination for KP, with its larger 738s going to places like DLA and DKR instead. LFW also provides connectivity to other central and West African cities including LAD if/when KP starts flying there.

If LOS-IAH was still attractive, UA would have remained albeit with reduced frequency.

Finally, going back to the original topic, it will be interesting to see how ADD-ORD will be routed. The flight can make it to ADD banks similar to what IAD and YYZ service (DUB-ORD is only 260 miles farther than DUB-IAD.) Routing via LFW will require the aircraft to remain on the ground at ORD for a long period.

jbs2886 wrote:

Doubtful. If anything, ET would have such scenario from/via an existing city in its network that it has developed well before looking at a new city like SNN. I was doubtful about DUB working for the LAX flight, but there is some traffic ex-DUB to LAX and Africa that supports that scenario.

LAXdude1023

Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:08 pm

Another thing is that Chicago has a very small African born community. Minneapolis, Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, Boston, and Seattle all have bigger African foreign born communities.

jbs2886

Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:23 pm

LAXdude1023 wrote:
Another thing is that Chicago has a very small African born community. Minneapolis, Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, Boston, and Seattle all have bigger African foreign born communities.

Okay, we get it, you clearly don't think ORD should get this flight - you keep posting reasons other cities would be better. ET apparently disagrees, not sure what you are actually contributing to the conversation.

LAXdude1023

Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:27 pm

jbs2886 wrote:
LAXdude1023 wrote:

Okay, we get it, you clearly don't think ORD should get this flight - you keep posting reasons other cities would be better. ET apparently disagrees, not sure what you are actually contributing to the conversation.

Go back and re-read the thread history. I responded to ORDFan vomiting ignorance about Houston. It never would have come up otherwise.

Rdh3e

Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:30 pm

LAXdude1023 wrote:

dfwjim1 wrote:

behramjee wrote:

1. Chicago is the third largest city in the US
2. ORD is the largest hub of their largest North American Partner
3. ORD connections will create significant numbers of new unique itineraries for ET.
4. ORD-DUB is a large market they will have local rights in

LAXdude1023

Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:01 pm

United787 wrote:
berari wrote:
It could also be an opportunity to consolidate Midwest originating traffic at ORD while IAD focuses on traffic from the Eastern US (will capture those that are now spending a night at IAD to catch ET to ADD and beyond.) I have noticed in the past that the first UA flight out of ORD into IAD was tight for connection onto the ET flight to ADD, and now there's no longer any connectivity because the first UA flight arrives later in the AM.

I have found that the options for ORD-IAD-Europe/MiddleEast are surprisingly low... poor connection times and limited flights. Better to fly ORD-FRA-and beyond...

Why ORD? Over IAH, SFO, DEN or LAX... because ORD offers 1 stop connections to almost every US market not already served from EWR and IAD that doesn't involve some sort of backtracking. DEN would also provide that but has a much smaller O&D. Yes, IAH has a bigger O&D to Africa than ORD but IAH isn't geographically desirable for Europe connections.

This is a much better, more accurate response. I didnt expect ET to show up at either IAH or ORD, but if there is an argument to be made for ORD over IAH, this is it.

United787

Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:02 pm

berari wrote:

I have found that the options for ORD-IAD-Europe/MiddleEast are surprisingly low... poor connection times and limited flights between ORD & IAD. Better to fly ORD-FRA-and beyond...

Why ORD? Over IAH, SFO, DEN or LAX... because ORD offers 1 stop connections to almost every US market not already served from EWR and IAD that doesn't involve some sort of backtracking. DEN would also provide that but has a much smaller O&D. Yes, IAH has a bigger O&D to Africa than ORD but IAH isn't geographically desirable for Europe/MiddleEast/NorthernAfrica connections.
Last edited by United787 on Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ORDfan

Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:28 pm

LAXdude1023 wrote:
jbs2886 wrote:
LAXdude1023 wrote:

Go back and re-read the thread history. I responded to ORDFan vomiting ignorance about Houston. It never would have come up otherwise.

Right, because Sonair is effectively a charter service for oil industry workers so naturally that means ADD-IAH makes more sense? You got me. IAH has twice weekly service to Africa, so naturally ADD-IAH makes more sense. :roll:

Cubsrule

Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:29 pm

LAXdude1023 wrote:
United787 wrote:
berari wrote:

I have found that the options for ORD-IAD-Europe/MiddleEast are surprisingly low... poor connection times and limited flights. Better to fly ORD-FRA-and beyond...

Why ORD? Over IAH, SFO, DEN or LAX... because ORD offers 1 stop connections to almost every US market not already served from EWR and IAD that doesn't involve some sort of backtracking. DEN would also provide that but has a much smaller O&D. Yes, IAH has a bigger O&D to Africa than ORD but IAH isn't geographically desirable for Europe connections.

This is a much better, more accurate response. I didnt expect ET to show up at either IAH or ORD, but if there is an argument to be made for ORD over IAH, this is it.

Is the ethnic traffic to Africa from worth chasing yield-wise? IAH oil traffic is, but ADD is not in the right part of Africa for most of that traffic.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

ORDfan

Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:42 pm

Cubsrule wrote:
Is the ethnic traffic to Africa from worth chasing yield-wise? IAH oil traffic is, but ADD is not in the right part of Africa for most of that traffic.

Indeed one of the bright spots of Ethiopia's is economy is its agricultural industry. The country is a large grower and importer of cereal grains for feed and for its own livestock cultivation, while it focuses on exporting soft commodities like coffee and cotton. There are plenty of synergies between Chicago's logistics, trading, and exchange community and Addis Ababa, particularly as the ECX consulted with the CME when it was launching one of the few viable exchanges outside of South Africa. But sure, what do the execs at ET and Star know about synergies....

berari

Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:47 pm

Cubsrule wrote:

Ethiopian has shown that with its network and ability to connect pax at ADD, it can make many cities work despite not always being the direct route.

Ethnic traffic to Africa is not the only target market for ET and other airlines. Tourism has been picking up in many parts of Africa. Recorded economic growth also registers additional traffic to the continent.

LAXdude1023

Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:52 pm

ORDfan wrote:
LAXdude1023 wrote:
jbs2886 wrote:

Right, because Sonair is effectively a charter service for oil industry workers so naturally that means ADD-IAH makes more sense? You got me. IAH has twice weekly service to Africa, so naturally ADD-IAH makes more sense. :roll:

O&D between Houston and Africa is much greater than between Chicago and Africa. ORD-ADD makes sense the same way DFW-SYD makes sense. Its a large hub for a partner and the geography makes more sense. But dont think for a moment that this has anything to do with ties between the city of Chicago and Africa.

IrishAyes

Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:32 pm

For those saying that there will be local traffic rights from ORD to DUB, remember that this could be routed the same way that IAD and YYZ are, in that ET will operate a nonstop from ORD to ADD on the Eastbound leg and make a technical stopover in DUB on the return. In this case, I don't believe local traffic rights ensure if its not bi-directional like LAX-DUB-ADD is.

One thing that has always surprised me is how ET is able to operate ADD-GRU nonstop but has to route all of their North American flights via an intermediary station. Is this due to polar winds (North vs. South?) because ET used to fly to GRU (and GIG for awhile) via LFW.

rukundo

Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:44 pm

Another thing is that Chicago has a very small African born community. Minneapolis, Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, Boston, and Seattle all have bigger African foreign born community

From Chicago, Ethiopian targets mainly passengers (both Americans and Africans) flying between North America and East and Southern America. Lots of Americans come to East Africa and Southern Africa, both for tourism and business. Americans make huge investments in East Africa and Chicago is a major world financial center.

There is a huge Ethiopian diaspora in USA, but biggest Africans diaspora in USA come from West and North Africa (Ghana, Cape Verde, Sudan, Morocco, Egypt & Nigeria), followed by diaspora from Kenya, Eritrea, South Africa and Somalia.

Ghana, Morocco,Cape Verde, Egypt & Nigeria have already flights to USA. Pax who want to fly between USA & West Africa with Ethiopian, can already fly from Newark (United Airlines hub) to Lome and then connect at Lome on Asky flight to West Africa.

ORD is a big Star Alliance hub, Ethiopian will be able to provide many connecting via United. Houston (another Star Alliance hub) is in the pipeline, since 2015-2016 : https://www.flightglobal.com/news/artic ... te-429682/

eamondzhang

Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:58 pm

IrishAyes wrote:
One thing that has always surprised me is how ET is able to operate ADD-GRU nonstop but has to route all of their North American flights via an intermediary station. Is this due to polar winds (North vs. South?) because ET used to fly to GRU (and GIG for awhile) via LFW.

Maybe (and that's a big maybe) their GRU flight doesn't carry cargo, similar to their East Asia flight (CAN, PEK, PVG, HKG & CTU) on the outbound trip.

Michael

LH658

Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:06 pm

Also cause the Midwest has lot of Africans from Somalia, Eriteria, Ethiopia, and etc. Though IAH - LOS - ADD, IAH - ACC - ADD, or IAH - FCO - ADD, IAH - VIE - ADD, would be nice addition.

drerx7

Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:50 am

ORDfan wrote:
LAXdude1023 wrote:
jbs2886 wrote:

No...You asked what routes exist between Africa and IAH...I gave you the answer. I didn't say that was the reason. Chill out dude.
HOUSTON, TEXAS

usflyer msp

Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:25 am

That is a very poorly written article - I would take anything it says with a grain of salt until ET officially confirms...

stlgph

Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:36 am

usflyer msp wrote:
That is a very poorly written article - I would take anything it says with a grain of salt until ET officially confirms...

Says who? You? Are you fluent in Amharic?
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

thomasphoto60

Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:41 am

usflyer msp wrote:

I was thinking the same thing. One thing I have learned over the years is to take these articles with a HUGE grain of salt, they are quite often inaccurate.
"Show me the Braniffs"

CHI2DFW

Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:50 am

I’ll believe it when I see it. SA announced ORD years ago and dropped it before it started. I don’t know the figures, but would think SA would do not as bad.

Again it’s Hub to Hub, but that still doesn’t matter if there’s minimal O&D for such a long flight, and Y fares at that.

Damn article said starting in 2017! Looks like a yahoo wrote this!

Freshside3

Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:11 am

United787 wrote:
berari wrote:

I have found that the options for ORD-IAD-Europe/MiddleEast are surprisingly low... poor connection times and limited flights between ORD & IAD. Better to fly ORD-FRA-and beyond...

Why ORD? Over IAH, SFO, DEN or LAX... because ORD offers 1 stop connections to almost every US market not already served from EWR and IAD that doesn't involve some sort of backtracking. DEN would also provide that but has a much smaller O&D. Yes, IAH has a bigger O&D to Africa than ORD but IAH isn't geographically desirable for Europe/MiddleEast/NorthernAfrica connections.

You got that one right. ORD really doesn't need the flight, on a local basis. But bundling up the SEA/MSP/DTW/SFO(and other) connections via UA's hub feed, well, this flight will do fine.

kngkyle

Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:25 am

Interesting and unexpected news. Looking forward to seeing the ET tails at ORD.

CHI2DFW

Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:32 am

kngkyle wrote:
Interesting and unexpected news. Looking forward to seeing the ET tails at ORD.

Would be a great addition, but I’m hesitant until I see an official news release from the airline or City of Chicago.

Now if NZ, SA, SQ, QF, and flights to ATH, BOG, EZE, KBP, LIM, LIS, MXP, OSL, and SVO/DME would happen...

usflyer msp

Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:57 am

stlgph wrote:
usflyer msp wrote:

Says who? You? Are you fluent in Amharic?

Thanks to my job, I actually can speak some Amharic and Oromo - however I don't see why that matters as the article and associated newspaper are english language publications...

rbavfan

Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:55 am

izbtmnhd wrote:

Due to high altitude & hot climate I'm guessing a fuel stop westbound.

rbavfan

Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:59 am

LAXdude1023 wrote:
ORDfan wrote:

behramjee wrote:

Yes when oil prices tanked so did all those high yeilding passengers that made it profitable. Otherwise UA would have kept it.

AF022

Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:46 am

IrishAyes wrote:

ADD-GRU is a lot shorter than ADD-IAD.

IrishAyes

Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:23 pm

AF022 wrote:
IrishAyes wrote:

ADD-GRU is a lot shorter than ADD-IAD.

Only by a mere 1,000 mi....

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos