Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

NDiesel
Topic Author

Number of Flights in Africa

Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:12 pm

I sometimes pull up FR24 to get a look at flights overhead, and I notice that unlike the packed airspaces of Europe, US and the Middle East, Africa seems almost devoid of flights in comparison. I'm guessing many flights don't show up as the aircrafts aren't equipped with ADS-B receivers, but then again, fleets across the continent both have been and are being modernised these days. KQ, ET, SA and several more are visible + EU and US aircraft, but that's about it... Is the number of flights in Africa really that low or is there any other explanation?

https://www.flightradar24.com/7.86,8.5/3
Delta MD-11 JFK-CDG - Upon sunrise I fell in love with aviation

PatrickZ80

Re: Number of Flights in Africa

Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:18 pm

Number of flights is rather low as Africa is a rather underdeveloped continent so most people can't afford to fly. There also are very little major airlines in Africa and there's almost zero short/medium haul traffic within the African continent. Sometimes to get from one African country to another (not even that far apart) the most direct link is a transfer somewhere in Europe or the Middle East.

FlyingHollander

Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:23 pm

I'm no expert, but just a quick look on Wikipedia gives some perspective.

Africa's busiest airports (preliminary 2016 stats):

JNB 20.7mil pax
CAI 16.4
CPT 10.1
ADD 8.9
CMN 8.6
ALG 7.2
NBO 7.1
LOS 6.7
DUR 5.2
TUN 4.9

The passenger numbers just aren't there.
If it ain't Dutch, it ain't much.

MileHFL400

Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:05 pm

Well I know this is a small one but Kenya Aiways ERJ’s and B737-700’s don’t show up on FR24.
Thanks and best Regards
AA

george77300

Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:12 pm

MileHFL400 wrote:
Well I know this is a small one but Kenya Aiways ERJ’s and B737-700’s don’t show up on FR24.

Many of the small ATRs etc don’t either.

Smoketrails

Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:13 pm

And not all of the African continent is covered by FR24.

VSMUT

Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:29 pm

Flightradar24 gathers its information mostly from crowdgathering. A private volunteer sets up an ADS-B antenna on his roof, and streams the data onto the internet. Given how sparsely populated parts of Africa is, and how bad the internet connections tend to be, you won't really find feed for the most of Africa.

vinniewinnie

Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:43 pm

Just looking at departure boards within Flightradar24 for several airports in Africa will show you that there are not many flights in Africa. A few domestic flights combined with some international connections is all you will have within a day. So we are talking about max 10 departures for most international airports, which is very low.

Military and cargo flights are not usually shown either. They can add a few flights a day as well.

leleko747

Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:08 pm

MileHFL400 wrote:

Kenya Airways doesn't operate ERJs. It seems that only a company called "ALS" is operating them in Kenya
I wonder when people will understand:
Embraer 190 or simply E190, not ERJ-190. E-Jets are NOT ERJs!
Boeing 747-8, not Boeing 747-800. Same goes for 787.
Airbus A320, not Airbus 320.
Airbii does not exist.

Siren

Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:39 pm

VSMUT wrote:
Flightradar24 gathers its information mostly from crowdgathering. A private volunteer sets up an ADS-B antenna on his roof, and streams the data onto the internet. Given how sparsely populated parts of Africa is, and how bad the internet connections tend to be, you won't really find feed for the most of Africa.

Bingo. This is less an issue of lack of flights (though there are very few compared to the developed world) - and mostly because there simply aren't any ADS-B receivers across vast swaths of Africa. South Africa will of course have coverage, and the large metropolitan areas will have a receiver based there, but as soon as the planes are out of range of those receivers, there's no more coverage.

There is a good amount of activity related to cargo flights that support mining operations across the continent. A number of old jets have been converted to be diesel tankers, and flown out to dirt strips in the middle of nowhere. You've got old Antonovs flying cargo to essentially the middle of nowhere - there's a good deal of this cargo activity, mostly because there is no other infrastructure on the continent. Things that would normally be brought in by truck or train anywhere else in the world must be brought in by airplane, or not brought in at all, as the road networks are inadequate and unable to connect... too bad we can't see this stuff on FR24 though!

VSMUT

Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:45 pm

Siren wrote:
There is a good amount of activity related to cargo flights that support mining operations across the continent. A number of old jets have been converted to be diesel tankers, and flown out to dirt strips in the middle of nowhere. You've got old Antonovs flying cargo to essentially the middle of nowhere - there's a good deal of this cargo activity, mostly because there is no other infrastructure on the continent. Things that would normally be brought in by truck or train anywhere else in the world must be brought in by airplane, or not brought in at all, as the road networks are inadequate and unable to connect... too bad we can't see this stuff on FR24 though!

Most of this wouldn't appear on FR24 anyway. I doubt they fit ADS-B transponders to those old bangers. I doubt most African countries even require that aircraft be refitted with ADS-B, so anything older than 2005 is unlikely to have it.

Siren

Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:05 pm

VSMUT wrote:
Most of this wouldn't appear on FR24 anyway. I doubt they fit ADS-B transponders to those old bangers. I doubt most African countries even require that aircraft be refitted with ADS-B, so anything older than 2005 is unlikely to have it.

Anything that was with a first world operator after 2007 - or was operated in Europe/Asia/Americas at all would need to be RVSM compliant. I think a good number of these planes would have the ADS-B transponders on them. The only circumstance where it wouldn't is if the plane never ever leaves Africa, and has been there for the last 12+ years...

Still though, more coverage and we'd see much more interesting things happening...

phxtravelboy

Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:23 pm

I work in corporate travel and unfortunately the majority of our client's travel is to/from and within Africa. Believe me, the service there is absolutely dreadful if you're not going to a MAJOR city such as Cairo or Johannesburg, or to a major hub city such as Casablanca, thanks to the extensive route network of Royal Air Maroc. Most of the other African cities don't even have daily service so it is extremely difficult trying to find flights. This becomes most apparent when trying to book intra Africa travel; the service is truly awful!! Again, if not going between 2 MAJOR cities such as Cairo-Johannesburg, forget it. You're looking at multiple connections with forced overnights on the days service operates. Some days there is literally zero service at all. On my job we're booking people to Bangui, Monrovia, Freetown, Juba, Bujumbura; VERY difficult places to get to/from. Africa is the most challenging continent BY far to book travel to/from and within.

directorguy

Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:51 pm

It's ridiculous how to fly between two African cities sometimes the only way is to go on Air France via Paris. At least ET among others is making an effort to get passengers to transitbin Africa

rukundo

Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:32 pm

MileHFL400 wrote:
Well I know this is a small one but Kenya Aiways ERJ’s and B737-700’s don’t show up on FR24

Since some months you can follow KQ ERJ and the 2 KQ B737-700s, these later often fly to Bamako and Dakar.

Kenya Airways doesn't operate ERJs. It seems that only a company called "ALS" is operating them in Kenya

Kenya Airways operates ERJ-190s, most of time on East and Southern Africa routes. ALS is a private company which provides limited scheduled flights, but also leasing and special flights for NGO, KQ and ALS are not linked

It's ridiculous how to fly between two African cities sometimes the only way is to go on Air France via Paris. At least ET among others is making an effort to get passengers to transitbin Africa

It's very expensive to fly in Africa, due to the low competition (because many Africans countries close their sky to other Africans Airlines) and the Airports taxes & fees are the highest in the world. There are lots of restrictions between African States (trade, visas,...), but it starts to change on this side. That's why sometimes, some people fly via Paris from Senegal to Madagascar.

It hard to believe this, because Africans States signed an agreement for the liberalization of Air Transport in Africa, in....1999. But few countries have have implemented this agreement

The Yamoussoukro Decisionhttp://www.worldbank.org/en/top ... for-africa

nordikcam

Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:10 pm

rukundo wrote:
MileHFL400 wrote:
Well I know this is a small one but Kenya Aiways ERJ’s and B737-700’s don’t show up on FR24

Since some months you can follow KQ ERJ and the 2 KQ B737-700s, these later often fly to Bamako and Dakar.

Kenya Airways operates ERJ-190s, most of time on East and Southern Africa routes. ALS is a private company which provides limited scheduled flights, but also leasing and special flights for NGO, KQ and ALS are not linked

It's very expensive to fly in Africa, due to the low competition (because many Africans countries close their sky to other Africans Airlines) and the Airports taxes & fees are the highest in the world. There are lots of restrictions between African States (trade, visas,...), but it starts to change on this side. That's why sometimes, some people fly via Paris from Senegal to Madagascar.

It hard to believe this, because Africans States signed an agreement for the liberalization of Air Transport in Africa, in....1999. But few countries have have implemented this agreement

The Yamoussoukro Decisionhttp://www.worldbank.org/en/top ... for-africa

SN makes intra-African flights like Dakar Conakry or Dakar Banjul and some others as Kigali Entebbe or Bujumbura Entebbe ...and others ones

BENAir01

Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:14 pm

nordikcam wrote:
SN makes intra-African flights like Dakar Conakry or Dakar Banjul and some others as Kigali Entebbe or Bujumbura Entebbe ...and others ones

I don’t believe you can book those, as they are triangle routings. Ex the plane does BRU-DKR-CKY-BRU and you can book BRU-DKR or BRU-CKY (via DKR) or DKR-BRU (via CKY) or CKY-BRU, but you can’t book DKR-CKY.
Why is flying so expensive? And why is flying well so much more?

vinniewinnie

Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:27 pm

BENAir01 wrote:
nordikcam wrote:

I don’t believe you can book those, as they are triangle routings. Ex the plane does BRU-DKR-CKY-BRU and you can book BRU-DKR or BRU-CKY (via DKR) or DKR-BRU (via CKY) or CKY-BRU, but you can’t book DKR-CKY.

That’s right. There are also for example more flights from SN from Luanda to Kinshasa than from Taag from Luanda to Kinshasa. Yet, SN flights are not bookable, and Taag flights cost an arm and a leg (about 500 dollars return last time I checked)

I wouldn’t overestimate the amount of cargo flights either. Yes there are quite a few that carry things you’d never see being carried anywhere else by plane (2nd hand clothing, toothpaste etc.), but due to the small size of the market outside the capitals, there won’t be many such flights.

lesfalls

Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:42 pm

vinniewinnie wrote:
BENAir01 wrote:
nordikcam wrote:

That’s right. There are also for example more flights from SN from Luanda to Kinshasa than from Taag from Luanda to Kinshasa. Yet, SN flights are not bookable, and Taag flights cost an arm and a leg (about 500 dollars return last time I checked)

I wouldn’t overestimate the amount of cargo flights either. Yes there are quite a few that carry things you’d never see being carried anywhere else by plane (2nd hand clothing, toothpaste etc.), but due to the small size of the market outside the capitals, there won’t be many such flights.

I was told by SN crew that majority of the triangular routings aren't bookable but some are. Not sure which ones. Also was told that politicians are allowed to do for example DKR-CKY with SN with it being the case quite often.
Lufthansa: Einfach ein bisschen besser.

nordikcam

Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:35 pm

lesfalls wrote:
vinniewinnie wrote:
BENAir01 wrote:

I was told by SN crew that majority of the triangular routings aren't bookable but some are. Not sure which ones. Also was told that politicians are allowed to do for example DKR-CKY with SN with it being the case quite often.

Yes some routes are bookable...DKR CKY for sure and I guess Freetown ROB ( Monrovia ) and KGL / EBB but not sure...

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos