Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

airliner371
Topic Author

Southwest Rolls-Out New Digital Signs

Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:14 pm

Looks very helpful. Information including standby lists, how full a flight is, gate location, walking times and much more. Should be very helpful to connections especially.

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/business/So ... 58713.html

LOWS

Re: Southwest Rolls-Out New Digital Signs

Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:41 pm

Wow! some kind of electronic sign with information about a flight??

Only 10+ years behind everyone else.

stlgph

Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:43 pm

I'm not sure how it helps with connections, but ok....
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

jreuschl

Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:08 pm

I figured I would see the usual Southwest bashing in comments.

While showing standby is not new, I think showing direction of gate, walk length, etc looks very helpful.

wntex

Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:11 pm

LOWS wrote:

Great sarcasm. You should probably watch the video :roll:
"The chief cause of failure and unhappiness is trading what you want most for what you want now." -Zig Ziglar

ncflyer

Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:54 pm

I watched the video with great skepticism, that like others have said, WN is 10 years behind everyone else, but I came away impressed. The % full and likelihood that C boarders can get their roller boards in the overheads is incredibly useful information for that airline. Highlighting the gate direction and adding emphasis to flights about to depart also very good.

WN's PR staff also gets a pat on the back for getting this story on local news. It's more PR than news, but hey, every business does it.

nutsaboutplanes

Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:57 pm

I think these look a bit cluttered and confusing. The vast majority of people will walk by them. Airlines that have had stby lists on electronic displays for years still have customers not look at them and go to the counter to ask an agent.

I guess it’s a progression of technology but the frequent flier won’t need them and the occasional traveler won’t know about them enough to use them.
American Airlines, US Airways, Alaska Airlines, Northwest Airlines, America West Airlines, USAFR

jnev3289

Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:14 pm

Why did it say some signs were supposed to com down November 6th? They were just testing a certain location for a bit?

rajincajun01

Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:15 pm

News flash to Southwest. Passengers don't read signs. They would rather go to an agent and ask "What gate is Austin leaving from?" and "Where is baggage claim?" If Southwest wants to help passengers, they need to redesign their boarding passes. Too many times at my airport their passengers go to the wrong gate because they only read the boarding position thinking its their gate, and the actual gate is in tiny font.
A319 A320 A321 A330 B1900 B717 B727 B737 B757 B767 B777 B787 C172 C402 CR2 CR7 CRJ9 DH8 E120 ERJ135 ERJ145 E170/175/190 L1011 MD80 MD90 SF340

DfwRevolution

Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:23 pm

nutsaboutplanes wrote:
I think these look a bit cluttered and confusing. The vast majority of people will walk by them. Airlines that have had stby lists on electronic displays for years still have customers not look at them and go to the counter to ask an agent.

That's because you don't get off the standby list by sitting quietly and starting at the board. The squeaky wheel gets the grease.
I have a three post per topic limit. You're welcome to have the last word.

LOWS

Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:44 pm

wntex wrote:
LOWS wrote:

Great sarcasm. You should probably watch the video :roll:

I did. I wasn't impressed.

mcdu

Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:00 pm

WN welcome to 2005, wow that is impressive, electronic signs showing gates and standby lists, who would have ever thought that was a possibility. <tic> Next thing you know we will find out that WN invented the internet also. Definitely a slow news day when the gate signs are worthy of a news story.

Maybe WN can demonstrate how they use the unique device which attaches to the terminal and adjust to the plane to allow the passengers to walk in a metal tube between the aircraft and the building. Perhaps the rest of the worlds carriers will be able to catch up to this leading edge technology by WN.....

mcdu

Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:03 pm

ncflyer wrote:
I watched the video with great skepticism, that like others have said, WN is 10 years behind everyone else, but I came away impressed. The % full and likelihood that C boarders can get their roller boards in the overheads is incredibly useful information for that airline. Highlighting the gate direction and adding emphasis to flights about to depart also very good.

WN's PR staff also gets a pat on the back for getting this story on local news. It's more PR than news, but hey, every business does it.

The real airlines also show load factor, but it is in visual display of the seat map. With assigned seats you can see if a window seat is open and ask the agent to change your seat. With the WN free for all I suppose the BEST they could do is %LF. Really underwhelming move by WN.

stlgph

Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:19 pm

Not really. If I'm in the A group and I see 95% or below LF, that means if I head to the back, the middle seat may have a slight chance of staying open. However, if I see 95+, and I'm in the A group, that tells me if I'm valuing my time or whatever, just grab a seat closer to the front to get off quicker. So, as a Southwest player, I'm glad to see that.

skyharborshome

Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:22 pm

Southwest is trying to get on board with the whole simple, graphical displays that keeps making a resurgence in our culture. I stopped flying WN after 15 loyal years and yet these signs, while a bit late, are pretty in touch with modern technology and the load factor display is great. Keep in mind that WN has very infrequent flyers (like my parents) and the simpler they can make it, the better. I hope they keep these as I was actually impressed.
Fly CHD!

737MAX7

Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:35 pm

mcdu wrote:
ncflyer wrote:

The real airlines also show load factor, but it is in visual display of the seat map. With assigned seats you can see if a window seat is open and ask the agent to change your seat. With the WN free for all I suppose the BEST they could do is %LF. Really underwhelming move by WN.

Boy you REALLY hate WN don’t you? :roll:

bgm

Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:42 pm

Why is this news like it's like some kind of amazing innovation when other airlines have been doing this for the past decade or so?

I'm not bashing WN, I've used them several times and find them to be a pretty decent airline (although I'm convinced their FAs are on some serious Prozac or some other wackyhappyclappy pills)

CFM565A1

Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:19 pm

bgm wrote:
Why is this news like it's like some kind of amazing innovation when other airlines have been doing this for the past decade or so?

I'm not bashing WN, I've used them several times and find them to be a pretty decent airline (although I'm convinced their FAs are on some serious Prozac or some other wackyhappyclappy pills)

It’s the same thing in Canada. When WestJet does something it’s celebrated by the media like it’s some miracle. Whenever WN does something like this (other airlines have had this before them) same thing. It’s a certain “sacred” treatment that they get that is irritating (can’t fault the airline for it of course).
C172-M/N/P/R/S , PA-28-180, P2006T, PA-34-200T, B1900D, DH8A/C ERJ-145, CRJ-100/200, DH8D, CRJ-700/705/900, E-175/190, A319/320/321, 737-200/300/400/600/700/800/900ER/M8, MD-82/83, 757-200/300, 767-300, A330-300, 787-9, 777-300ER, F28-4000.

AWACSooner

Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:52 pm

bgm wrote:

Contrary to the popular opinions of flying airlines like AA or UA with overly-surly flight attendants, it actually IS possible for FA's to actually ENJOY doing their jobs and showing their love for their job...and that FA sample size is overwhelmingly at WN. Must be a corporate culture thing...

usxguy

Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:45 am

haven't they had these signs up for over a month at Dallas Love? I just wish the standby list would show how many open seats there are. :/
xx

airliner371
Topic Author

Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:24 am

usxguy wrote:
...I just wish the standby list would show how many open seats there are. :/

Well they kind of do now. They have screens that say how full a flight is, so if you see that it's 95% full, you know it's gonna be tight whereas if you see it's at 60%, you know you'll be fine.

ericm2031

Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:24 am

I do like their size. Many times I find the FIDS to have very small font and people having to take turns to read the signs because they have to get so close.

They're definitely better than the AA FIDS/GIDS which are so simplistic you basically only get standby/upgrade lists and flight status...half the time you don't even see what group they are boarding.

atypical

Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:59 am

bgm wrote:

I would say this is doubly amazing for this to be news because it's at one airport and is not intended to continue after Thanksgiving.

If WN was a girl she'd be a big tease.

mcdu

Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:51 pm

AWACSooner wrote:
bgm wrote:

Contrary to the popular opinions of flying airlines like AA or UA with overly-surly flight attendants, it actually IS possible for FA's to actually ENJOY doing their jobs and showing their love for their job...and that FA sample size is overwhelmingly at WN. Must be a corporate culture thing...

Not all UA or AA FA’s are overly surly. Your generalization does not match reality. Lots of the legacy airline FA’s do excellent jobs and are happy. They just aren’t wearing Bermuda shorts, polos, tennis shoes and treat the PA like the passengers are on a ride a Disneyland. Generally only simpletons and non frequent flyers enjoy those ridiculous lengthy PA’s where an FA gives the amusement park/tour bus commentary.

These signs out up by WN are incredibly bad. So it’s a “12 minutes walk”? Measured at what pace? Using yellow to indicate boarding is also a bad idea. I think most signs use yellow as an alert for delays. Seeing yellow may actually make a customer walk slower or believe their is a problem. Why show a color for normal operations. Maybe an alternate “boarding” and “dept time” on that line but never yellow for normal ops.

jasoncrh

Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:25 pm

I actually was at DAL yesterday and saw these signs. I thought they were pretty cool and useful actually. The signs showing the direction / walking signs to the gates was good, and the signs at the gate were very visually prominent, so people were looking at them and were responding to them. Neat idea, and I liked them. Dont know why people on this site are so negative/ obnoxious. Oh well, moving on.

737max8

Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:40 pm

jasoncrh wrote:
I actually was at DAL yesterday and saw these signs. I thought they were pretty cool and useful actually. The signs showing the direction / walking signs to the gates was good, and the signs at the gate were very visually prominent, so people were looking at them and were responding to them. Neat idea, and I liked them. Dont know why people on this site are so negative/ obnoxious. Oh well, moving on.

You nailed it.

Also I understand this is just a test. Improvements will be made if the decision is made to roll these out to more airports.

My favorite feature is the gate number having the departure city on the concourse number sign hanging in the main terminal hall, not just at the podium behind the CSA.
The thoughts and opinions expressed in my comments do not represent that of any airline or affiliate.
Flown on: 717 733 734 735 736 737 738 739 7M8 744 744ER 752 753 762 763 772 773ER 788 789 A220 A319/20/21 A332 A333 A339 A343 A346 A359 A388

evank516

Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:05 pm

I've noticed that jetBlue doesn't have this kind of feature yet at any station it serves. JFK in particular. Hard to believe WN beat B6 in new technology. I personally like DL's digital screens that list connecting gate info specific to passengers on board the flight.

CFM565A1

Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:40 pm

mcdu wrote:
AWACSooner wrote:
bgm wrote:

Not all UA or AA FA’s are overly surly. Your generalization does not match reality. Lots of the legacy airline FA’s do excellent jobs and are happy. They just aren’t wearing Bermuda shorts, polos, tennis shoes and treat the PA like the passengers are on a ride a Disneyland. Generally only simpletons and non frequent flyers enjoy those ridiculous lengthy PA’s where an FA gives the amusement park/tour bus commentary.

These signs out up by WN are incredibly bad. So it’s a “12 minutes walk”? Measured at what pace? Using yellow to indicate boarding is also a bad idea. I think most signs use yellow as an alert for delays. Seeing yellow may actually make a customer walk slower or believe their is a problem. Why show a color for normal operations. Maybe an alternate “boarding” and “dept time” on that line but never yellow for normal ops.

I don’t myself and I don’t like when they make light out of a safety demo which is a serious part of the flight. And before I get a bunch of heart people replying “it actually makes more people listen” not really because are they listening to the jokes or the actual safety demo?

I just can’t figure out why they’re always so late catching up to the world with this stuff. Like I always get the same line of “it’s so great because it’s an innovation marvel because WN was started on a napkin”. Well it ain’t one anymore.
C172-M/N/P/R/S , PA-28-180, P2006T, PA-34-200T, B1900D, DH8A/C ERJ-145, CRJ-100/200, DH8D, CRJ-700/705/900, E-175/190, A319/320/321, 737-200/300/400/600/700/800/900ER/M8, MD-82/83, 757-200/300, 767-300, A330-300, 787-9, 777-300ER, F28-4000.

stlgph

Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:42 pm

No one is listening to the safety announcement otherwise.