Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
User avatar
Narfish641
Topic Author
Posts: 485
Joined: Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:14 pm

Virgin Atlantic A346 G-VRED Retired? A346 Retirement Date Set?

Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:17 pm

I noticed that one of Virgin Atlantic's A346 (G-VRED) has been at SFO since the November 1st, I also noticed that they been phasing out their A346 fleet very slowly with the most recent aircraft (G-GAS) being flown to SBD on May 17th of this year to be dismantled. Does anyone know what date their final A346 will be withdrawn from service?
Flew on:
SWA 737 738
 
TC957
Posts: 3863
Joined: Wed May 23, 2012 1:12 pm

Re: Virgin Atlantic A346 G-VRED Retired? A346 Retirement Date Set?

Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:25 pm

According to Thevssource website on all things VS, G-VRED positioned to Manila for maintenance on 1st Nov.
 
User avatar
Slash787
Posts: 951
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:37 pm

Re: Virgin Atlantic A346 G-VRED Retired? A346 Retirement Date Set?

Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:43 pm

They are supposed to be retired when they receive their A350-1000, so I assume sometime in 2019
 
User avatar
FBWFTW
Posts: 84
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2016 5:09 pm

Re: Virgin Atlantic A346 G-VRED Retired? A346 Retirement Date Set?

Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:07 pm

Just was looking thru some VS flights now, this A/C departed Manila 5:24 ago for London presumably it shows on FR24 as G-VRED MNL-???
Avgeek & Airbus fan
Flown-712 722 732/5/8/9 741 752 762/3ER, L10, DC8/9/10 MD88 E75/90 A320/21 A332/3
Fav Plane(s) A330-243/L10
Fav Airlines-B6/HA
Favorite engine-RR/PW
Favorite Route-BOS-HNL
https://my.flightradar24.com/FBWFTW#
 
User avatar
Narfish641
Topic Author
Posts: 485
Joined: Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:14 pm

Re: Virgin Atlantic A346 G-VRED Retired? A346 Retirement Date Set?

Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:26 am

Yep, saw it took off from London as Flight 5 to Miami early this afternoon.
Flew on:
SWA 737 738
 
AA737-823
Posts: 5500
Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2000 11:10 am

Re: Virgin Atlantic A346 G-VRED Retired? A346 Retirement Date Set?

Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:15 am

I saw one land in Seattle on Friday (November 25).
I usually see their 789 there, so I was very excited to spot it! I even took a really awful iPhone photo of her as she rolled out on 16L!
 
User avatar
OA940
Posts: 1990
Joined: Fri May 20, 2016 6:18 am

Re: Virgin Atlantic A346 G-VRED Retired? A346 Retirement Date Set?

Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:38 am

Slash787 wrote:
They are supposed to be retired when they receive their A350-1000, so I assume sometime in 2019


Isn't the A350 to replace the 747?
A350/CSeries = bae
 
User avatar
JannEejit
Posts: 1688
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:04 pm

Re: Virgin Atlantic A346 G-VRED Retired? A346 Retirement Date Set?

Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:19 am

OA940 wrote:
Slash787 wrote:
They are supposed to be retired when they receive their A350-1000, so I assume sometime in 2019


Isn't the A350 to replace the 747?


Replaces both the the 744 leisure fleet and A346 mainline fleet.
 
User avatar
Narfish641
Topic Author
Posts: 485
Joined: Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:14 pm

Re: Virgin Atlantic A346 G-VRED Retired? A346 Retirement Date Set?

Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:49 pm

AA737-823 wrote:
I saw one land in Seattle on Friday (November 25).
I usually see their 789 there, so I was very excited to spot it! I even took a really awful iPhone photo of her as she rolled out on 16L!


Awesome! We used to get both the A346 and the A333 over here in ATL. However because of the VS rotation because of the few grounded 789 aircraft with engine issues. At the moment we do get a VS A333 here from Manchester, but the rest are Delta.
Flew on:
SWA 737 738
 
User avatar
DrPaul
Posts: 134
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:21 pm

Re: Virgin Atlantic A346 G-VRED Retired? A346 Retirement Date Set?

Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:38 pm

It will be a sad day for me when Virgin withdraws its A346-600s, as, other than occasional Iberia one, they are about the only ones coming into Heathrow these days. Other than slowly waning numbers of 747s, it's nearly all two-motor planes these days. From an aesthetic point of view, I feel that Airbus got it right with the 500 and 600 series, as something looked 'not quite right' with the A340-200 and 300 series, and the bigger motors on the later series gave the plane a better proportioned appearance. The appearance of the long A350-1000 will be welcome, as I'm finding it quite difficult to distinguish between the A350-900 series and the A330-300 (and it will be even more difficult when the A300-900 appears with its A350-style curly wing-tips).
 
User avatar
Narfish641
Topic Author
Posts: 485
Joined: Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:14 pm

Re: Virgin Atlantic A346 G-VRED Retired? A346 Retirement Date Set?

Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:35 pm

DrPaul wrote:
It will be a sad day for me when Virgin withdraws its A346-600s, as, other than occasional Iberia one, they are about the only ones coming into Heathrow these days. Other than slowly waning numbers of 747s, it's nearly all two-motor planes these days. From an aesthetic point of view, I feel that Airbus got it right with the 500 and 600 series, as something looked 'not quite right' with the A340-200 and 300 series, and the bigger motors on the later series gave the plane a better proportioned appearance. The appearance of the long A350-1000 will be welcome, as I'm finding it quite difficult to distinguish between the A350-900 series and the A330-300 (and it will be even more difficult when the A300-900 appears with its A350-style curly wing-tips).


Between the A359 and the A39X, the A359 is 218ft and has 8 wheeled landing gear, the A39X will be 241ft and has the 12 wheeled landing gear.
Flew on:
SWA 737 738
 
LH707330
Posts: 2369
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:27 pm

Re: Virgin Atlantic A346 G-VRED Retired? A346 Retirement Date Set?

Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:49 pm

AA737-823 wrote:
I saw one land in Seattle on Friday (November 25).
I usually see their 789 there, so I was very excited to spot it! I even took a really awful iPhone photo of her as she rolled out on 16L!

Yeah, saw one yesterday as well. They've been on the route for a while now while the 789s get their engine checks done. Quite a treat to see the LH 748 and the VS A346 here.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos