Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ual763

Re: Delta's Official Goodbye Itinerary for the Iconic 747

Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:26 am

delta747tlv wrote:
jumbojet wrote:
Looks like DL is charging its own employees to fly on one of these farewell flights. At a discount and all proceeds go to charity. United didn't do that. United had a bidding process but didn't charge. Thoughts on this?

New process announced today, seats will be distributed to active employees and retirees through an expression of interest.

That almost seems like a bigger slap in the face to me than making employees pay for the employee appreciation flights. Sorry, but if you announce to me that I can buy a confirmed seat at this time on this day, I damn well expect the company to follow through on that. Expression of interest? What kind of garbage is that? Who wouldn't put in an expression of interest, and how will hey decide who has the most "interest"? I sense that there will be a lot of upset employees/retirees over this.

Honestly, in my opinion, I think doing it solely by either random selection (which, let's be honest... That is what expression of interest will end up being. Oh, and they'll still have to purchase them) or having employees purchase on a certain date is wrong. I believe for the final flight/flights they should have reserved a number of seats to give away for their "expression of interest" employees. And the rest of them could have been sold to employees who didn't want to risk the expression of interest. That way, you don't shut people out who really want to get on it.

I know the OP will throw a fit for me even mentioning United in his thread, but that is what United dd. For their employee hub tour, they gave away, for free, seats on a special farewell flight at each hub to lucky employees. For the final flight, they gave away 50 seats to lucky employees. The rest of the seats were open to anyone to purchase any way they wanted to. Employees could use their employee discount and get a confirmed seat, customers could buy a seat with miles or cash. Plus, they also had a few miles auctions for people wanting to do it that way as well. My point is, they didn't limit it to one way of getting on the flight. It was truly open to anyone before selkling out. I just think Delta should have done something a little more inclusive to both their customers and also their employees.
From flying to the NOTAM office

jumbojet
Topic Author

Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:13 pm

ual763 wrote:
delta747tlv wrote:
jumbojet wrote:
Looks like DL is charging its own employees to fly on one of these farewell flights. At a discount and all proceeds go to charity. United didn't do that. United had a bidding process but didn't charge. Thoughts on this?

New process announced today, seats will be distributed to active employees and retirees through an expression of interest.

That almost seems like a bigger slap in the face to me than making employees pay for the employee appreciation flights. Sorry, but if you announce to me that I can buy a confirmed seat at this time on this day, I damn well expect the company to follow through on that. Expression of interest? What kind of garbage is that? Who wouldn't put in an expression of interest, and how will hey decide who has the most "interest"? I sense that there will be a lot of upset employees/retirees over this.

Honestly, in my opinion, I think doing it solely by either random selection (which, let's be honest... That is what expression of interest will end up being. Oh, and they'll still have to purchase them) or having employees purchase on a certain date is wrong. I believe for the final flight/flights they should have reserved a number of seats to give away for their "expression of interest" employees. And the rest of them could have been sold to employees who didn't want to risk the expression of interest. That way, you don't shut people out who really want to get on it.

I know the OP will throw a fit for me even mentioning United in his thread, but that is what United dd. For their employee hub tour, they gave away, for free, seats on a special farewell flight at each hub to lucky employees. For the final flight, they gave away 50 seats to lucky employees. The rest of the seats were open to anyone to purchase any way they wanted to. Employees could use their employee discount and get a confirmed seat, customers could buy a seat with miles or cash. Plus, they also had a few miles auctions for people wanting to do it that way as well. My point is, they didn't limit it to one way of getting on the flight. It was truly open to anyone before selkling out. I just think Delta should have done something a little more inclusive to both their customers and also their employees.

UAL, chill out. All proceeds are going to charity. Its not like DL is pocketing the money. I think its a brilliant idea. Any time you can help out a local charity, you cant go wrong.

At any rate, for regular joes like you and me, bidding ends soon, most packages are well over 300,000 miles now. I'm out at 350,000. I'm hoping to pull out a victory on the ATL-MSP package.

ual763

Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:49 pm

jumbojet wrote:
ual763 wrote:
delta747tlv wrote:

UAL, chill out. All proceeds are going to charity. Its not like DL is pocketing the money. I think its a brilliant idea. Any time you can help out a local charity, you cant go wrong.

At any rate, for regular joes like you and me, bidding ends soon, most packages are well over 300,000 miles now. I'm out at 350,000. I'm hoping to pull out a victory on the ATL-MSP package.

Well, I hope you get it.

MSPNWA

Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:54 pm

ual763 wrote:

Thanks for the insight on how UA did it. The contrast is quite remarkable. DL's final flights are being very poorly planned and feel like an afterthought in comparison.

jumbojet
Topic Author

Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:27 pm

ual763 wrote:
jumbojet wrote:
ual763 wrote:

Well, I hope you get it.

Thanks but I am out. Just got outbid at 350,000 miles. Oh well, just wasn't meant to be.

jumbojet
Topic Author

Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:30 pm

MSPNWA wrote:

Thanks for the insight on how UA did it. The contrast is quite remarkable. DL's final flights are being very poorly planned and feel like an afterthought in comparison.

not for nothing, and no disrespect to you, but everything delta does, delta does wrong. I don't think I can name more than 1 thing that you think DL has done right, and this is going back a looooong time.

klm617

Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:51 pm

delta747tlv wrote:
jumbojet wrote:

And guess what Delta will then write that off on their taxes a donation
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

jumbojet
Topic Author

Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:33 am

klm617 wrote:
delta747tlv wrote:
jumbojet wrote:

And guess what Delta will then write that off on their taxes a donation

and guess what, DL is no longer accepting payment, even for charity, from employees.

So, the winning bid for one of the ATL-MSP auctions is over. The winning bid was 703,000 miles.

jumbojet
Topic Author

Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:07 am

ATL-MSP package #2 just closed out at 724,000 miles.

777PHX

Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:49 am

Want a "last" 747 flight? Just pick any of the 25 North America cities LH or BA fly the 747 too.

700k miles is idiotic considering the 747 will continue flying for at least another couple decades. It ain't that impressive.

Narfish641

Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:55 am

jumbojet wrote:
ATL-MSP package #2 just closed out at 724,000 miles.

Have they announced what reg. # the aircraft will be, or its it gonna be all of them running the farewell routes.
Flew on:
SWA 737 738

jumbojet
Topic Author

Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:01 am

The last auction just ended. the last DTW-SEA package just sold for 920,000 miles.

jumbojet
Topic Author

Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:04 am

777PHX wrote:
Want a "last" 747 flight? Just pick any of the 25 North America cities LH or BA fly the 747 too.

700k miles is idiotic considering the 747 will continue flying for at least another couple decades. It ain't that impressive.

Those were my exact thoughts when I stopped bidding at 600,000 miles. I'm like, I can treat the family to a nice night out in times square, at a lux hotel, for a fraction of those miles and still book a flight on a Korean 747-800. I've flown the Korean 748 before in business and its by far the best business class seat out there.

ual763

Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:59 am

jumbojet wrote:
777PHX wrote:

Those were my exact thoughts when I stopped bidding at 600,000 miles. I'm like, I can treat the family to a nice night out in times square, at a lux hotel, for a fraction of those miles and still book a flight on a Korean 747-800. I've flown the Korean 748 before in business and its by far the best business class seat out there.

Sorry, you didn't get on it JJ. Would have been cool to be a part of. However, I find 920,000 miles absolutely ridiculous in the grand scheme of things. Take pride in knowing though, that none of these people who blew almost a million miles, will be on the truly last passenger flight. Some lucky military guys/gals will almost definitely be on it for a charter trip or two before the trip to VCV.

jumbojet
Topic Author

Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:31 am

ual763 wrote:
jumbojet wrote:
777PHX wrote:

Sorry, you didn't get on it JJ. Would have been cool to be a part of. However, I find 920,000 miles absolutely ridiculous in the grand scheme of things. Take pride in knowing though, that none of these people who blew almost a million miles, will be on the truly last passenger flight. Some lucky military guys/gals will almost definitely be on it for a charter trip or two before the trip to VCV.

Thanks for the sentiments. Its a little depressing but I'll get over it. I was so focused on the farewell flights that I completely disregarded the DTW hangar party. I could've gotten that for a song and a dance. Just wasn't meant to be, life goes on....

neomax

Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:50 pm

jumbojet wrote:
ual763 wrote:
jumbojet wrote:

Thanks for the sentiments. Its a little depressing but I'll get over it. I was so focused on the farewell flights that I completely disregarded the DTW hangar party. I could've gotten that for a song and a dance. Just wasn't meant to be, life goes on....

I did make a go at the DTW hangar event, but obviously lost it, so I decided to fly in to the final departure on the 15th which will most likely have a party of its own.

ual763

Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:16 pm

neomax wrote:
jumbojet wrote:
ual763 wrote:

I did make a go at the DTW hangar event, but obviously lost it, so I decided to fly in to the final departure on the 15th which will most likely have a party of its own.

I think that they most likely will. When I was on United's last flight, they had a huge party at the gate. Beware though, they had 3 gates blocked off for the event, and literally had bouncers at the gates checking boarding passes before anyone was allowed to enter for the party. But, there were so many people anyway, the bouncers didn't make a difference and couldn't restrict people from entering. Basically people just ducked under the rope blocking off the gates. There were so many people, the bouncers had no way of seeing them. However, Even if Delta does the same, there should still be plenty of room to watch the festivities from the hallway area just outside the gate area.

neomax

Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:23 pm

ual763 wrote:
neomax wrote:
jumbojet wrote:

I think that they most likely will. When I was on United's last flight, they had a huge party at the gate. Beware though, they had 3 gates blocked off for the event, and literally had bouncers at the gates checking boarding passes before anyone was allowed to enter for the party. But, there were so many people anyway, the bouncers didn't make a difference and couldn't restrict people from entering. Basically people just ducked under the rope blocking off the gates. There were so many people, the bouncers had no way of seeing them. However, Even if Delta does the same, there should still be plenty of room to watch the festivities from the hallway area just outside the gate area.

Yeah, this is basically what I'm gambling on. I'm hoping that DL just lets it be, but it's not long until we find out.

TW870

Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:15 pm

I wondered if the top bids would go over 1 million miles - and it sounds like we got real close. Congrats to anyone who won and I sure wish I was going. Part of the high bids has got to be that redeemable miles are just not worth what they used to be. I was shopping business class fares for Europe next summer and good itineraries during the high season are north of 400K. Take two people and you are going to get close to a million miles anyway. Some people probably figure this is a more unique way to drain your balance. Anyone who is on there better do a ton of pics and video posting so I can pretend I'm on the trip!

mrpippy

Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:10 am

ual763 wrote:
Take pride in knowing though, that none of these people who blew almost a million miles, will be on the truly last passenger flight. Some lucky military guys/gals will almost definitely be on it for a charter trip or two before the trip to VCV.

This might not be the right interpretation, but I think the FAA Fuel Tank Flammability Reduction rules require that:

One hundred percent of each operator’s fleet must be modified no later than December 26, 2017, unless a one year extension has been granted by using the “Ground Conditioned Air” provision in the FTFR rule.

And that date is driving the retirements. Would they be able to do passenger flights (even charter flights) after the deadline?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos