Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

SyracuseAvGeek
Topic Author

Cargo carriers (UPS, FedEx) up-gauging aircraft, flights during the holiday season?

Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:09 pm

During the holiday season there is obviously a dramatic increase of packages traveling around the country and around the world. Have UPS, FedEx, or any other cargo carriers increased flights or used larger aircraft to certain cities during this time of year?
"I haven't been everywhere yet, but it's on my list."

Konabuzz1967

Re: Cargo carriers (UPS, FedEx) up-gauging aircraft, flights during the holiday season?

Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:11 pm

I've heard from a FedEx employee that they lease several (4?) 747F's during the holidays. Sorry I don't have any more particulars.

mcsam18

Re: Cargo carriers (UPS, FedEx) up-gauging aircraft, flights during the holiday season?

Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:18 pm

UPS does the same thing, either on the their own metal or via lease. For example, PHL sees multiple 747Fs daily due to the increased Holiday demand (compared to zero 747Fs during non peak times).

Newbiepilot

Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:20 pm

There absolutely is an increase in flying. It isn't necessarily up gauging. It's usually more flights added. Operators of Freighters almost never schedule heavy maintenance September through December. Utilization of their fleets goes up as they fly them to the limit.

Konabuzz1967 wrote:
I've heard from a FedEx employee that they lease several (4?) 747F's during the holidays. Sorry I don't have any more particulars.

In years past, FedEx leases some 747s from Atlas

http://atwonline.com/leasing/atlas-air- ... ters-fedex

United_fan

Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:56 pm

In years past,ROC woul get out usual 767 and an A300 or 757.
"Suspicion is a matter of opinion"

SyracuseAvGeek
Topic Author

Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:40 pm

SYR usually sees UPS 757, but during the holidays I have seen as big as a 767, today there was a A300.
"I haven't been everywhere yet, but it's on my list."

jetblueguy22

Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:57 pm

Air network obviously ramps up big time, but the big surge is usually felt towards the end, at brown at least. They'll put extra capacity on the day side for the increased 2/3 Day volume, usually in the form of extra sectors on our own aircraft, but a lot of that can flow through the ground network.

The relaxed commits the week leading up to Christmas help ease the need for a bunch of charters at the end.
Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club

wjcandee

Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:03 pm

Western Global puts their 2 747s and numerous md11s In service for brown and fedex.

n92r03

Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:52 pm

I always enjoy these discussions each year. If we factor in the "Amazon" affect and think how that has added/changed the industry from what it was 5 or 10 years ago it is quite amazing.

Question, if/when a carrier (FedEx/UPS) leases aircraft from another carrier (Atlas, etc), is the aircraft crewed by the lessee or the lessor?

32andBelow

Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:00 pm

n92r03 wrote:
I always enjoy these discussions each year. If we factor in the "Amazon" affect and think how that has added/changed the industry from what it was 5 or 10 years ago it is quite amazing.

Question, if/when a carrier (FedEx/UPS) leases aircraft from another carrier (Atlas, etc), is the aircraft crewed by the lessee or the lessor?

Its a wet lease. It's basically a freight charter.

jjbiv

Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:01 pm

n92r03 wrote:

The lessor provides the crew on an ACMI (aircraft, crew, maintenance, insurance) lease.

Stitch

Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:06 pm

In addition to the normal holiday loads, Apple releases a new iPhone every Fall and that increases demand for air freight significantly as a significant majority are shipped via UPS and FedEx from China.

_AA_777_MAN

Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:18 pm

jjbiv wrote:
n92r03 wrote:

The lessor provides the crew on an ACMI (aircraft, crew, maintenance, insurance) lease.

Yep, about 15 years ago when I used to work on the ramp for UPS at ORD we worked on a Southern Air 747 for the busy holiday season. The whole crew was Southern Air including a traveling mechanic. UPS already flew their own 747 at ORD back then along with numerous DC-8s and A300s.

I see Fed Ex has been flying a 77F HKG-ANC-ORD-ANC-HKG every 2-3 weeks. Does anybody have any info on this flight? It seems to be some sort of a charter since it does not park by the Fed Ex cargo but by the new North cargo facility. Flight number starts with 97.

kjeld0d

Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:29 pm

In the glory days of A.net I recall reading multiple, lengthy threads about holiday upgauging by cargo carriers. Sigh...isn't the new site design GREAT!!

HermansCVR580

Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:46 pm

Gosh I remember MKE in the mid to late 90’s UPS would add Polar Air and Evergreen 747’s and Emery would bring in anything that still had wings on it and could get off the ground.
The right decision at the wrong time, is still a wrong decision. "Hal Carr"

jetblueguy22

Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:55 pm

kjeld0d wrote:
In the glory days of A.net I recall reading multiple, lengthy threads about holiday upgauging by cargo carriers. Sigh...isn't the new site design GREAT!!

What does the site design have to do it besides you disliking it? We're 9 days away from Peak starting and another 3 weeks from these cargo jumps even starting.
Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club

Avi8r747

Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:12 am

MHT usually goes all 767 from late October, with 3 AM and 3 PM departures, along with a couple of 757's in the mix. 2 SDF, and 1 PHL, with a SDF-SYR-MHT on the weekends. UPS also increases capacity late January through March as a result of Vermont Teddy Bear for Valentines Day.

Although lately there has been a steady increase in capacity at different ties throughout the last couple of summers

luv2cattlecall

Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:12 am

Stitch wrote:
In addition to the normal holiday loads, Apple releases a new iPhone every Fall and that increases demand for air freight significantly as a significant majority are shipped via UPS and FedEx from China.

Here's a get article about that. The iPhone is about 2% of China-US air freight, but sure enough it does cause a swing in prices

https://www.flexport.com/blog/the-iphon ... ht-prices/

freakyrat

Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:36 pm

In times past when UPS at SBN flew B727’s they upguaged during the holidays to Stretch 8’s. If demand were there they could easily replace the 757 with something larger.

usairways85

Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:53 pm

The uptick roughly starts the week after Thanksgiving and peaks the 2nd and 3rd weeks in December.

HPRamper

Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:10 pm

While nothing really crazy, SEA will see FX bring in another 777F for an additional turn on the PM, so there will be both an evening and early morning launch for those babies. Other than that, just upgauges from A300 and MD-10 to MD-11 almost across the board - no 767s this year in the schedule unfortunately.

worldranger

Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:39 pm

Do FDX/UPS/DHL use the belly holds of global airlines during peak or other?

worldranger

Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:39 pm

HPRamper

Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:44 pm

worldranger wrote:

FX utilizes belly capacity internationally, especially in regions where they have little coverage (like Africa) but not domestically.

Aloha717200

Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:46 pm

BOI uses a 767 during holiday peak for UPS, versus the usual A300. FedEx upgauges from 757s to A300s and A310s.

32andBelow

Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:58 pm

HPRamper wrote:
worldranger wrote:

FX utilizes belly capacity internationally, especially in regions where they have little coverage (like Africa) but not domestically.

They use it domestically to rural Alaska.

HPRamper

Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:15 pm

32andBelow wrote:
HPRamper wrote:
worldranger wrote:

Thanks for mentioning Alaska - in addition, technically, from Southeast Alaska, FX utilizes main-deck space. Every day, AS Cargo moves one or two SAA containers full of FX freight directly to SEA since FX no longer flies into the area.

Kilopond

Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:51 pm

Stitch wrote:

As we are looking at late autumn freight peaks, we shouldn't forget those urgent-to-get, heavy wine bottles from France.

Two million bottles, or close to 1,400 tonnes of Beaujolais Nouveau[...]

http://corporate.airfrance.com/en/news/ ... ived-cargo

32andBelow

Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:06 pm

HPRamper wrote:
32andBelow wrote:
HPRamper wrote:

Thanks for mentioning Alaska - in addition, technically, from Southeast Alaska, FX utilizes main-deck space. Every day, AS Cargo moves one or two SAA containers full of FX freight directly to SEA since FX no longer flies into the area.

Those ATRs dont go down there anymore? Where do they even go at this point? I know the caravans do the close in stuff.

DCA-ROCguy

Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:55 pm

I'll have to watch ROC on FlightAware during the Advent season. Hoping FedEx will send an MD-11 or two our way.

Jim
Need a new airline paint scheme? Better call Saul! (Bass that is)

cvgComair

Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:20 pm

Amazon is changing their entire schedule to increase aircraft utilization. Since they are limited by space at CVG (as DHL ramps ups their own CVG hub ops for the holidays) they are adding more PTP routes while reducing flying through CVG. Kind of an interesting way to get peak holiday flying in.

HPRamper

Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:20 am

32andBelow wrote:
HPRamper wrote:
32andBelow wrote:

Those ATRs dont go down there anymore? Where do they even go at this point? I know the caravans do the close in stuff.

I was surprised myself - those AS SAAs started popping up on the FX ramp a few weeks ago and I started asking around about them, and the answer was that FX had killed the SE Alaska ATR route and were now contracting AS to carry the volume. I don't know why exactly, but pure speculation here, I've also been hearing that Empire has a severe pilot shortage right now, with several ATRs sitting on the ground at GEG with nobody to fly them. Anecdotally, several SEA-based Empire pilots have quit in recent months and now the SEA station is now staffed with some GEG and PDX-based pilots.

lightsaber

Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:28 am

cvgComair wrote:
Amazon is changing their entire schedule to increase aircraft utilization. Since they are limited by space at CVG (as DHL ramps ups their own CVG hub ops for the holidays) they are adding more PTP routes while reducing flying through CVG. Kind of an interesting way to get peak holiday flying in.

Now that is interesting. Amazon is going to be pilot hour limited more than anything else.

Lightsaber
Winter is coming.

cvgComair

Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:04 am

lightsaber wrote:
cvgComair wrote:

Now that is interesting. Amazon is going to be pilot hour limited more than anything else.

Lightsaber

It was said on the Amazon thread that the freighters could see 14-16 hours of utilization a day, I will be very interested to see where they get pilots to fly all of this extra time.

Airventure737

Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:23 am

It's not unusual to see 4-5 747s in MEM during busy sort times in late November, December.

Spacepope

Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:00 pm

Speaking of additional lift, FedEx just reactivated one of the 3 757Fs it had stored at VCV. This joins a freshly delivered 777F this week too. UPS took a 748 yesterday just in time for the surge.
The last of the famous international playboys

HPRamper

Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:37 pm

Spacepope wrote:
Speaking of additional lift, FedEx just reactivated one of the 3 757Fs it had stored at VCV. This joins a freshly delivered 777F this week too. UPS took a 748 yesterday just in time for the surge.

FX is also getting a new 767 fresh out of Everett on Tuesday.

wjcandee

Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:42 pm

cvgComair wrote:
lightsaber wrote:
cvgComair wrote:

Lightsaber

It was said on the Amazon thread that the freighters could see 14-16 hours of utilization a day, I will be very interested to see where they get pilots to fly all of this extra time.

The additional flying is selective, and pretty-well thought-out. All of it appears to have been designed to fit within the capabilities of each airline. If and when Atlas finally gets N1373A into revenue service, there is work for it and pilots to fly that work. What I thought was interesting was that Amazon has kept its two hot spares as spares, and didn't try to purchase service for the operational spares at the flying carriers (1709A, 255CM, 395CM). The hot spares stay as spares, and the operational spares at the airlines function as they have to date. ABX hasn't been pressured with additional business to the point that it can't cover the occasional rescue flight with an aircraft and a crew. As has been the case all-along, Amazon appears to be placing a premium on reliability and redudancy, even as it ramps up the flying. So...when 313 had pressurization issues (according to an ATI pilot who posts here) on the way from DFW-SCK the other night and diverted to ABQ , the subsequent flight scheduled from SCK was covered by the hot spare at ONT, and when 313 was made (temporarily) flyable, it flew to ONT to become the hot spare. (It had the same issues on the way to ONT as caused it to divert, so although it was the designated hot spare, it needed basically another day of repairs there, which could be accomplished because everything else was working).

GolfBravoRomeo

Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:33 pm

Kilopond wrote:
As we are looking at late autumn freight peaks, we shouldn't forget those urgent-to-get, heavy wine bottles from France.

Two million bottles, or close to 1,400 tonnes of Beaujolais Nouveau[...]

20 years or so go my company shipped 2 to 8 pallets every day CGN-EWR with UPS. Day in - day out, year round. A pretty nice gig for them as at that time their DC-8's were coming back mostly empty. They wouldn't take our freight for close to a month because of the wine. They lost our business for good, pity as their service was excellent.

flyfresno

Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:59 pm

There’s a significant number of additional flights in addition to upgauging a/c. FAT sees double the number of flights on both UPS and FedEx and gets daily flights to SDF and MHR 3 days per week on UPS. MHR adds a ton of destinations that they normally don’t have (RFD, CAE, PHL, SBD, and FAT and a couple others in addition to increased frequencies to other cities) for a total of 16 daily flights, almost becoming a focus city for UPS.

atypical

Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:00 pm

A lot of that increase is additional utilization. For example there is one FX in the sky today at 2:55 PM PT MEM-ORF (FR24). After Thanksgiving this will start going up.

lightsaber

Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:11 am

wjcandee wrote:
cvgComair wrote:
lightsaber wrote:

Lightsaber

The additional flying is selective, and pretty-well thought-out. All of it appears to have been designed to fit within the capabilities of each airline. If and when Atlas finally gets N1373A into revenue service, there is work for it and pilots to fly that work. What I thought was interesting was that Amazon has kept its two hot spares as spares, and didn't try to purchase service for the operational spares at the flying carriers (1709A, 255CM, 395CM). The hot spares stay as spares, and the operational spares at the airlines function as they have to date. ABX hasn't been pressured with additional business to the point that it can't cover the occasional rescue flight with an aircraft and a crew. As has been the case all-along, Amazon appears to be placing a premium on reliability and redudancy, even as it ramps up the flying. So...when 313 had pressurization issues (according to an ATI pilot who posts here) on the way from DFW-SCK the other night and diverted to ABQ , the subsequent flight scheduled from SCK was covered by the hot spare at ONT, and when 313 was made (temporarily) flyable, it flew to ONT to become the hot spare. (It had the same issues on the way to ONT as caused it to divert, so although it was the designated hot spare, it needed basically another day of repairs there, which could be accomplished because everything else was working).

I have no doubt it is being managed well. My point is there would be more flying if there were more pilots. The exact details I wouldn't guess.

If Amazon is flying 14 to 16 hours, they need to start thinking about buying new. Not the bulk of the fleet, but those frames flying the most.

I didn't think Amazon was ready for hub bypass. I really thought this level of utilization would require hub expansion with a 2nd daily sort. Hmmm... This has implications I must think about.

Lightsaber
Winter is coming.

wjcandee

Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:01 am

Lightsaber:

Regarding hub bypass, they have been doing it since the beginning.

For example, in the previous schedule, I count 63 segments, of which 28 (a little less than half) were not to or from CVG. And it has been like this for a while. There always has been a significant component that wasn't going through the "hub", even when it was at ILN. (Also, remember that prior to buying cans (AAX, like DHL) and starting to sort at CVG, Amazon only cross-docked full pallets (typically PAJs) between those planes that were going through the "hub". Picking the low-hanging fruit means servicing city pairs that have significant volume between them -- often enough to fill an entire 767-300 with pallets just between them.

And...a little detail that may be of interest: Unless something has started to change recently, only the flights that go through CVG carry cans (to facilitate the sort). The rest of the flights still move netted pallets.

chrisnh

Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:24 pm

FedEx at Manchester (MHT) has been all 767-300s for almost as long as they’ve had them. But starting on the 28th we get two A300s (from PWM and IND) plus a pair of MD-10s from MEM.

Portland, Maine gets that A300 (EWR-PWM-MHT) plus a pair of MEM 757s.

Curiously I see no upgrade for PVD; just the single MEM 757 they always get.

nitepilot79

Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:21 pm

The evening UPS A300 departure from DIA/DEN doesn't seem to be supplemented due to the holidays quite yet.

nitepilot79

Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:33 pm

nitepilot79 wrote:
The evening UPS A300 departure from DIA/DEN doesn't seem to be supplemented due to the holidays quite yet.

I'm actually sitting in an armchair :lol:

nitepilot79

Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:34 pm

nitepilot79 wrote:

I'm actually sitting in an armchair :lol:

jetblueguy22

Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:36 pm

nitepilot79 wrote:

Still too early. Madness kicks off in 6 days

Spacepope

Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:37 pm

nitepilot79 wrote:

Keep an eye on FedExs sweep flight soon. Probably see some diverts to ABQ or LBB.
The last of the famous international playboys

slcguy

Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:38 pm

In recent years during the holidays SLC has seen increased flights and some upgauged equipment from Fed Ex. Same for UPS with usually an added 744 operated by Atlas.
Last edited by slcguy on Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos