Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

bx737

Re: Aer Lingus announce Dublin - Seattle

Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:34 pm

Apparently the QR A330 will be for expansion, including the new Seattle route. The flight being four times a week leaves three days there is an A330 not scheduled.....yet.

717atOGG

Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:39 pm

bx737 wrote:
Apparently the QR A330 will be for expansion, including the new Seattle route. The flight being four times a week leaves three days there is an A330 not scheduled.....yet.

DUB-LAX is going daily IIRC, hence the other three frequencies.
A320/321, A332, 712, 73G/8/9ER, 744, 752/3, E145, E175, CR9

HTCone

Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:09 pm

717atOGG wrote:
bx737 wrote:

That’s covered by a new build A333 arriving in a few weeks. There’s still 6 x weekly A330 slots unfilled. They traditionally keep 3 slots for tech cover, speculation was DUB-IAD would go all A330 vs the 3 weekly A330 and 4 weekly B752 that was planned, allowing PHL to go daily B752 vs current 4 x weekly B752. Not sure where that stands in reality though.

VanBosch

Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:09 pm

trexel94 wrote:
VanBosch wrote:
The A350’s are gone, ignore Wikipedia. IAG Had a capital markets presentation a few weeks ago and EI’s future fleet had no reference to them, you can’t lie in documents like that, so they’re gone.

My mistake,

So were the orders switched to A330neo?

No one knows, there has been no official announcement of why they aren’t going to EI O’R where they are going, although I’d guess BA/Iberia

MapleLeaf789

Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:50 pm

ClassicLover wrote:
by738 wrote:
Nice. If I can call it though and say I dont think it will last. Just a hunch nothing more.

Do remember that Aer Lingus has decent portion of their transatlantic flights filled with connecting passengers from the UK regions and Europe. They are very successful at this which is partly why they are doing so well. It's not all going to be Irish traffic.

Exactly! This is excellent news for both EI and Dublin. I truly believe that Dublin will just continue to grow. Considering how weakened EI was some time ago, to see them flourishing now is fantastic. As well, several mayor banks have agreed to shift to Dublin post Brexit, the business connections through Dublin will grow too.
Toronto Based

A319/320/321/330/340
B707/727/737/747/767/777/787
BAE146
CRJ200/700
DC8/9/10
DHC8/Q4
E175/195

shamrock350

Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:35 am

The Aer Lingus CEO shed some light on extra aircraft during the announcement, he mentioned the new A333 currently in Toulouse, painted and ready for delivery along with another frame being sourced which he expects to have secured within the next few weeks. So we can assume the brand new A333 and another A330 will arrive in time for the summer schedule, rumours of ex-Air Berlin or one from Qatar Airways have been floating around for the past few weeks.

If everything goes to plan we can expect some big announcements next year for 2019, Aer Lingus will take delivery of four A321LR aircraft that year and they haven't ruled out more A330s as well with talk of exploiting every opportunity they can when it comes to additional aircraft.

As for the A350, it's gone...for now. The CEO was asked about it and he stated it was no longer a priority in their near term fleet planning stating the A333 remains an excellent aircraft for their needs and with oil prices low they see little need to introduce expensive next generation aircraft simply for the sake of it. Eventually the A330 will need replacing and when that time comes I think they'll reevaluate the A350, possibly against the A330neo and make a decision but for the next 5-10 years we can expect Aer Lingus to remain an A330/A321LR airline across the Atlantic.

EDIT: The latest A330, EI-GCF will arrive in Dublin from Toulouse tonight!

User001

Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:28 am

717atOGG wrote:
bx737 wrote:

The A330 may need either down time or an east coast route to fill the other 3 days. It cant do SEA/LAX/SEA/LAX etc in a 7 days cycle.

AmricanShamrok

Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:01 am

I wish EI would introduce a seasonal SNN-ORD route to fill the backlog left by UA. They wouldn't even need any additional capacity; just rejig the existing SNN-JFK and SNN-BOS schedules something like:

SNN-BOS 5x weekly
SNN-JFK 5x weekly
SNN-ORD 3x weekly

That way they also retain the 1 day of downtime for the 757 for tech contingency cover.

flybynight

Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:47 pm

klm617 wrote:
masgniw wrote:
rwsea wrote:

SEA is much larger than MSP or DEN, and the state of Washington has 1.5m+ more people than either Minnesota or Colorado. It also has a much larger business base and one that is more apt towards international travel. Best Buy and Target aren't flying people to Europe and Asia to the level that Microsoft, Amazon, Boeing, and Starbucks are. Texas is very far south and neither Dallas nor Houston are tourist destinations. In fact, of your list, only SEA and DEN could be considered international tourist destinations with a pull of leisure pax from Europe.

As someone else pointed out, SEA may have a lot of destinations but the frequencies are lower than on trunk hub-to-hub routes like AMS/DTW-MSP or DFW-LHR. SEA has the benefit of not being dominated by a single carrier that forces everyone through a hub on the other side of the pond. And as others have mentioned, PDX and YVR also feed SEA to a certain extent. Living in PDX, I would connect at SEA in a heartbeat over any other domestic airport, and certainly won't fly through the midwest or east coast if there is any other option. It adds hours to the routing and means more time on some crappy domestic narrowbody plane.

Great points, RWSEA.

I think another point is that similar cities cited with no DUB service (DFW, IAH, DTW, ATL and MSP) don't have the same tourist draw as SEA.

I beg to differ with you Michigan and Minnesota have a lot of draw as far as tourism. I just don't understand why these airlines keep chasing the same markets when there are so many untapped opportunities out that that they refuse to look at. At some point yes the SEA bubble will burst. By the way most Alaska cruises leave from Vancouver not Seattle so cruise traffic can't be the reason otherwise EI would have chosen YVR.

Detroit is getting better, but it certainly isn't where I want to spend a vacation. I have lived in Seattle and Detroit, and I will say without a doubt Seattle is by a very far reach the better city.

As for cruises -
Vancouver - 826,000 passengers in 2016
Seattle - 969,000 passengers in 2016

So you're facts are off...sorry. These stats comes from the respective ports of each city.

I
Heia Norge!

flybynight

Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:56 pm

MSPNWA wrote:
rwsea wrote:
SEA is much larger than MSP or DEN, and the state of Washington has 1.5m+ more people than either Minnesota or Colorado. It also has a much larger business base and one that is more apt towards international travel. Best Buy and Target aren't flying people to Europe and Asia to the level that Microsoft, Amazon, Boeing, and Starbucks are. Texas is very far south and neither Dallas nor Houston are tourist destinations. In fact, of your list, only SEA and DEN could be considered international tourist destinations with a pull of leisure pax from Europe.

As someone else pointed out, SEA may have a lot of destinations but the frequencies are lower than on trunk hub-to-hub routes like AMS/DTW-MSP or DFW-LHR. SEA has the benefit of not being dominated by a single carrier that forces everyone through a hub on the other side of the pond. And as others have mentioned, PDX and YVR also feed SEA to a certain extent. Living in PDX, I would connect at SEA in a heartbeat over any other domestic airport, and certainly won't fly through the midwest or east coast if there is any other option. It adds hours to the routing and means more time on some crappy domestic narrowbody plane.

Your take has some problems. Take a close look at SEA's size compared to MSP and DEN. Only recently did SEA pass MSP on the MSA list, and DEN is only a few spots away. But that doesn't tell the whole story. When you look at the true population drawn to the airport, MSP and DEN are right there. In fact, without getting deep into the details my guess is MSP's demand base is a tick larger than SEA's. And of course MSP and DEN both have a combination of hub, geographical, economic, cultural, and tourism draws that are in most ways stronger. You can't simply look at a state's population and make a conclusion. Is a GEG traveler flying out of SEA? How about those across the Columbia on the WA side? Or those near Bellingham, who have some service in their backyard? Or even those as close to SEA as Olympia, who can play SEA and PDX against each other (especially considering SEA traffic)? And even if we say MSP and DEN are smaller, how does that explain why much larger cities don't have DUB service?

The Twin Cities has close to double the number of Fortune 500 companies over SEA. Do you have evidence that Seattle companies fly more internationally than others (and specifically to DUB)? Or I am I supposed to take your word for it? Because if I am, I'm not going to simply take your word that Starbucks is sending more people overseas than a larger health or industrial corporation. And it doesn't explain SEA's equally high domestic service either.

As a little factoid, DFW is closer to DUB than SEA is. And it's geographical pull from Texas alone dwarfs SEA's prime connecting area. If you're going to include the likes of PDX or YVR to SEA traffic, I can make that a similar or stronger case for any U.S. hub. Again it doesn't explain what's going on. And how is SEA's tourism draw contributing to year-round service?

SEA-LHR had a whopping one frequency less than DFW-LHR today. And DFW-LHR is a large hub-to-hub route. Again, compare SEA to other cities. Take MSP or DEN again. MSP has the larger hub network with superior geography. DEN, pretty much the same story. SEA-LHR has roughly four times the capacity than MSP-LHR. Only soon will DEN-LHR have a second flight. Everywhere one looks it's an embarrassment of riches for SEA. And it has to make you wonder when economic reality will finally set in and make a correction.

masgniw wrote:
I think another point is that similar cities cited with no DUB service (DFW, IAH, DTW, ATL and MSP) don't have the same tourist draw as SEA.

How does that explain year-round service? SEA's fall, winter, and spring tourism?

Thenoflyzone wrote:
Actually TS started 1 weekly summer seasonal service from YUL to DUB last May. Sadly the flight will not Return next summer, but as you mentioned, AC is starting the route.

Thank you. I didn't know that had been attempted.

Seattle is THE city of growth right now. Read this article for perspective -
https://pub.cnbc.com/2017/07/11/washington-is-americas-top-state-for-business-in-2017.html?__source=msn%7Cmoney%7Cinline%7Cstory%7C&par=msn&doc=104849705

I know it isn't fun to loose an argument, but you might want to let go on Seattle. Why do you think airlines are coming here. They don't throw a dart at a map to pick cities.
The biggest problem, though, is SEA itself. Improvements are coming, but I am afraid it will not be enough to handle volume. SEA is becoming a very crowded airport and it isn't what I would call world-class. It isn't horrible, but nearby YVR and PDX are much nicer.
Heia Norge!

masgniw

Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:12 pm

flybynight wrote:
MSPNWA wrote:
rwsea wrote:

Your take has some problems. Take a close look at SEA's size compared to MSP and DEN. Only recently did SEA pass MSP on the MSA list, and DEN is only a few spots away. But that doesn't tell the whole story. When you look at the true population drawn to the airport, MSP and DEN are right there. In fact, without getting deep into the details my guess is MSP's demand base is a tick larger than SEA's. And of course MSP and DEN both have a combination of hub, geographical, economic, cultural, and tourism draws that are in most ways stronger. You can't simply look at a state's population and make a conclusion. Is a GEG traveler flying out of SEA? How about those across the Columbia on the WA side? Or those near Bellingham, who have some service in their backyard? Or even those as close to SEA as Olympia, who can play SEA and PDX against each other (especially considering SEA traffic)? And even if we say MSP and DEN are smaller, how does that explain why much larger cities don't have DUB service?

The Twin Cities has close to double the number of Fortune 500 companies over SEA. Do you have evidence that Seattle companies fly more internationally than others (and specifically to DUB)? Or I am I supposed to take your word for it? Because if I am, I'm not going to simply take your word that Starbucks is sending more people overseas than a larger health or industrial corporation. And it doesn't explain SEA's equally high domestic service either.

As a little factoid, DFW is closer to DUB than SEA is. And it's geographical pull from Texas alone dwarfs SEA's prime connecting area. If you're going to include the likes of PDX or YVR to SEA traffic, I can make that a similar or stronger case for any U.S. hub. Again it doesn't explain what's going on. And how is SEA's tourism draw contributing to year-round service?

SEA-LHR had a whopping one frequency less than DFW-LHR today. And DFW-LHR is a large hub-to-hub route. Again, compare SEA to other cities. Take MSP or DEN again. MSP has the larger hub network with superior geography. DEN, pretty much the same story. SEA-LHR has roughly four times the capacity than MSP-LHR. Only soon will DEN-LHR have a second flight. Everywhere one looks it's an embarrassment of riches for SEA. And it has to make you wonder when economic reality will finally set in and make a correction.

masgniw wrote:

How does that explain year-round service? SEA's fall, winter, and spring tourism?

Thenoflyzone wrote:
Actually TS started 1 weekly summer seasonal service from YUL to DUB last May. Sadly the flight will not Return next summer, but as you mentioned, AC is starting the route.

Thank you. I didn't know that had been attempted.

Seattle is THE city of growth right now. Read this article for perspective -
https://pub.cnbc.com/2017/07/11/washington-is-americas-top-state-for-business-in-2017.html?__source=msn%7Cmoney%7Cinline%7Cstory%7C&par=msn&doc=104849705

I know it isn't fun to loose an argument, but you might want to let go on Seattle. Why do you think airlines are coming here. They don't throw a dart at a map to pick cities.
The biggest problem, though, is SEA itself. Improvements are coming, but I am afraid it will not be enough to handle volume. SEA is becoming a very crowded airport and it isn't what I would call world-class. It isn't horrible, but nearby YVR and PDX are much nicer.

:checkmark: :checkmark: :checkmark:

You nailed it, flybynight. I think his username hints at why he's having a hard time with this discussion.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos