Pair? Is he twins? :hyper:

Antarius

Re: Istanbul New Airport, Latest Pictures

Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:35 pm

SmokinL1011 wrote:
Pair of VIP aircraft carrying President Erdogan

One for the ego.
2020: SFO DFW IAH HOU CLT MEX BIS MIA GUA ORD DTW LGA BOS LHR DUB BFS BHD STN OAK PHL ISP JFK SJC DEN SJU LAS TXL GDL

AIRTRANSAT767

Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:36 pm

Too cool the new airport like the Chinese airports and big and logical it's not like YUL and poorly done long live the real airport
i love air transat and fan all boeing

LAXLHR

Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:30 am

I'm excited to use the new Istanbul airport. Visited last year and love love loved the city! Amazing people, food, tourists sites.
BA IB ET JM EA GK PA VS AA SN HP CO W7 WN NW DL UA AC US LH LX OS JL QF QR WY MH CX U2 EK 9W UK TP VY VN LO OK OZ UL SQ LA

707 727 L10 732-NG 741 742 743 744 752 753 762 763 772 773 787 DC8 DC9 DC10 M80 M11 100 AB3 310 318 319 320 321 330s 340s 350 380

Flighty

Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:07 am

I’m sad. I really liked the old IST. It was knackered in some areas, but great atmosphere in the international concourse. A true global crossroads.

Antarius

Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:28 am

Flighty wrote:
I’m sad. I really liked the old IST. It was knackered in some areas, but great atmosphere in the international concourse. A true global crossroads.

TK isnt leaving. The new airport will continue being an international crossroads
2020: SFO DFW IAH HOU CLT MEX BIS MIA GUA ORD DTW LGA BOS LHR DUB BFS BHD STN OAK PHL ISP JFK SJC DEN SJU LAS TXL GDL

Atlwarrior

Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:48 am

I really wish them well. It was actually a bombing on the day I departed Turkey a couple years ago. I hope this airport will be better able to detect. Istanbul is a history gem.

globetrotter94

Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:02 am

Flighty wrote:

100% agree. Lot of people review the current IST negatively, calling it crowded, chaotic, long lines, etc... which is true, but it has a certain strong "character" about it. It'll be sad to fly out of there for the final time next month :(.
6E, 9W, AF, AI, B6, BA, BI, BR, CA, DN, GA, IC, JL, KB, KL, KU, NH, QR, SQ, TG, TK, UA, VS

conaly

Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:43 am

globetrotter94 wrote:
Lot of people review the current IST negatively, calling it crowded, chaotic, long lines, etc... which is true, but it has a certain strong "character" about it.

Naming the most negative points about the airport and calling it "character" is quite bold. It's like saying waiting two hours in the TSA-lines at US-airports is part of the "character". May be true, but I bet 99% of people would love to avoid that. Same goes for all those points in IST. The airport in its current situation is pure garbage. I have been there too often, I see nothing of character, just a lot of stuff, that isn't good at all and I really hate that. IST is not suited for what it wants to be.

I'll be glad, once that airport is closed, at least if the new airport will be able to handle those huge crowds better than current IST.
Airports 2019: ADB, ALG, AMD, ATL, BOG, BOS, CDG, CTS, DEL, DTW, DUS, EWR, FRA, FUK, HAM, HFT, HIJ, HND, HVG, IST, ITM, JFK, MUC, NGO, NUE, OKA, PHL, SIN, STN, TOS, YYZ, ZRH
Airports 2020: ALG, CTS, FRA, HKG, HND, MSQ, MUC, NUE, TLV, ZRH

sibibom

Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:57 am

Antarius wrote:
SmokinL1011 wrote:
Pair of VIP aircraft carrying President Erdogan

One for the ego.

too small for his ego no? wonder why no A380? :p

globetrotter94

Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:02 am

conaly wrote:
globetrotter94 wrote:
Lot of people review the current IST negatively, calling it crowded, chaotic, long lines, etc... which is true, but it has a certain strong "character" about it.

Naming the most negative points about the airport and calling it "character" is quite bold. It's like saying waiting two hours in the TSA-lines at US-airports is part of the "character". May be true, but I bet 99% of people would love to avoid that. Same goes for all those points in IST. The airport in its current situation is pure garbage. I have been there too often, I see nothing of character, just a lot of stuff, that isn't good at all and I really hate that. IST is not suited for what it wants to be.

I'll be glad, once that airport is closed, at least if the new airport will be able to handle those huge crowds better than current IST.

Yeah well, the airport has naturally grown beyond its design capacity as a result of TK's phenomenal expansion, and now they are addressing that with the new airport. But in terms of your comparison with the TSA, no US airport pools together people from so many different parts of the world into a single terminal or a single security line--that is part of the unique charm. Plus, the current TK Lounge beats most in the world. I still have no idea what they are going to do lounge-wise at the new airport, so until then, I reserve judgment.
6E, 9W, AF, AI, B6, BA, BI, BR, CA, DN, GA, IC, JL, KB, KL, KU, NH, QR, SQ, TG, TK, UA, VS

AirlineCritic

Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:55 am

When does traffic move to the new airport, and when will IST close?

TK787
Topic Author

Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:52 am

AirlineCritic wrote:

-All will be done in 4+ months, end of October. All foreign airlines will stop flying to IST or the new airport during the last two days of October. TK will have only, IIRC; 18 hours to move. And magically on Nov 1st, IST will be history and ALL flights will be out of the new airport, except Cargo planes will still use IST until the Cargo facilities at the new airport ready. And who knows what will happen to IST beyond that. A public park, convention center.....??
-By not releasing the name of the new airport until the last minute, the new airport at Istanbul will be known as the "New Airport", just like the bridges on the Bosphorus are known as the 1st bridge, the 2nd bridge and the 3rd bridge; by Turks :)

william

Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:54 pm

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DgO6jrMWsAEAEbf.jpg

Those are some tall concourses. Look at the roof compared with the jetway. Wow, the 2nd floor hall way to Customs must be two stories tall alone.

Draken21fx

Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:38 pm

TK787 wrote:
AirlineCritic wrote:

-All will be done in 4+ months, end of October. All foreign airlines will stop flying to IST or the new airport during the last two days of October. TK will have only, IIRC; 18 hours to move. And magically on Nov 1st, IST will be history and ALL flights will be out of the new airport, except Cargo planes will still use IST until the Cargo facilities at the new airport ready. And who knows what will happen to IST beyond that. A public park, convention center.....??
-By not releasing the name of the new airport until the last minute, the new airport at Istanbul will be known as the "New Airport", just like the bridges on the Bosphorus are known as the 1st bridge, the 2nd bridge and the 3rd bridge; by Turks :)

That's a massive undertaking. I would not like to be the project manager trying to move everything from the old to the new airport within 18 hours. Same happened if I remember correctly during the ATH old -> ATH new move but of course the size was nothing compared to this. Keep us posted on the progress.

airbazar

Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:15 pm

Draken21fx wrote:
TK787 wrote:
AirlineCritic wrote:

That's a massive undertaking. I would not like to be the project manager trying to move everything from the old to the new airport within 18 hours. Same happened if I remember correctly during the ATH old -> ATH new move but of course the size was nothing compared to this. Keep us posted on the progress.

Hong Kong did it in only 6 hours.
https://www.nytimes.com/1998/07/06/worl ... hrill.html

Speedalive

Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:46 pm

The airport looks beautiful. I'm looking forward to seeing it with my own eyes some day! I think it definitely has the potential to give Dubai a run for its money as a major connecting hub, but I think security concerns could pose a threat to that though. In western media, Turkey isn't exactly portrayed as the safest of places, which is quite unfortunate. It's a beautiful and culturally rich country and the people are great (and so is the food). My aunt used to live there for a teaching assignment and always brought back a ton of Turkish goodies. :)

AirlineCritic wrote:
... and if Air Canada ever flies to this airport, I know what would happen ...

Oh give it a rest :P

HeyTK

Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:58 pm

Concerning safety, Turkey is just as safe as any other country. So it would be unjust to associate it with Turkey when these things also have happened in france, britain, etc, as kong as there is no direct threat. At this moment, Turkey is very peaceful and it has gone back to its old days. Ist SAW and Antalya airport are currently exceeding the largest growth in pax in Europe. All is well.

globetrotter94

Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:07 am

TK787 wrote:

Under that logic, shouldn't it be called "Istanbul 3rd Airport", or "İstanbul Üçüncü Havalimanı"? -- in fact, might not be a bad idea to make the latter name official in English too. To most of us foreigners, "Üçüncü" would look and sound super exotic with no one having any idea that all it means is "Third". No political controversies either.

mercure1

Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:44 pm

TK announced its first flights at the new airport for Oct 31st.
First 3 departures with appropriate symbolism will be flown to Ankara, Turkish Northern Cyprus and Azerbaijan.

https://www.dailysabah.com/tourism/2018 ... azerbaijan
mercure f-wtcc

SCQ83

Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:53 pm

HeyTK wrote:
Concerning safety, Turkey is just as safe as any other country. So it would be unjust to associate it with Turkey when these things also have happened in france, britain, etc, as kong as there is no direct threat. At this moment, Turkey is very peaceful and it has gone back to its old days. Ist SAW and Antalya airport are currently exceeding the largest growth in pax in Europe. All is well.

Not really. The US Department of State considers Turkey as "Level 3: Reconsider Travel" "due to terrorism and arbitrary detentions". So on the same level as Pakistan, Venezuela, Congo, Sudan or most of Mexico.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel ... isory.html

Samrnpage

Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:59 pm

SCQ83 wrote:
HeyTK wrote:

Not really. The US Department of State considers Turkey as "Level 3: Reconsider Travel" "due to terrorism and arbitrary detentions". So on the same level as Pakistan, Venezuela, Congo, Sudan or most of Mexico.

Trust me, the US department of State doesnt know what its on about. Turkey is a lovely country with some of the most welcoming people in the world. Same with Mexico.

DocLightning

Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:11 pm

Draken21fx wrote:

I think they did it in 8-12 at HKG. It very likely will take less than 18h. For projects like this, they always alot extra time for things to go wrong because it is absolutely crucial that they do not miss the deadline.

Roads between the two will probably be closed so that airport vehicles can make their way to the New Airport unimpeded.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

lightsaber

Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:12 pm

airbazar wrote:
Draken21fx wrote:
TK787 wrote:

That was amazing what Hong Kong did.
This move is a larger move (more traffic at IST than the old Hong Kong). Or on a greater scale. This will be the largest move yet.

Moving airport to airport isn't easy. Most workers will not go back to the old airport. They need to position equipment (buy duplicates needed for later growth anyway) to ease the transition.

I suspect the old IST will stay open for private flights. If you do not kill an airport quickly, it has a habit of being taken over by LCCs. :duck:
e.g., try to close the 2nd airport to ICN, or in Milan, Houston, Dallas, Bangkok, or anywhere else it wasn't closed fast (such as Denver or Hong Kong).

Lightsaber
Winter is coming.

flyingclrs727

Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:36 pm

lightsaber wrote:
airbazar wrote:
Draken21fx wrote:

That was amazing what Hong Kong did.
This move is a larger move (more traffic at IST than the old Hong Kong). Or on a greater scale. This will be the largest move yet.

Moving airport to airport isn't easy. Most workers will not go back to the old airport. They need to position equipment (buy duplicates needed for later growth anyway) to ease the transition.

I suspect the old IST will stay open for private flights. If you do not kill an airport quickly, it has a habit of being taken over by LCCs. :duck:
e.g., try to close the 2nd airport to ICN, or in Milan, Houston, Dallas, Bangkok, or anywhere else it wasn't closed fast (such as Denver or Hong Kong).

Lightsaber

I think it was always intended that HOU would be used by general aviation and charters. Anyway, it is located on the opposite side of downtown from IAH. It is convenient to downtown, the Texas Medical Center, University of Houston, Rice University, and Galveston. Much of the growth in Houston in the last several decades has been west of Loop 610 the west of Beltway 8 and the Woodlands. There is now a large number of oil and gas technology companies in Humble not far from IAH. There is quite a bit of O&D from the area around IAH that didn't exist in 1969 when IAH opened. The western areas of Houston have quite a drive no matter which airport people there use.

Improvements in jet engines mean there is no problem flying to any point in the contiguous US or the Caribbean from HOU. The growth of the Houston-Galveston SMSA means there is plenty of of business for both airports.

Jayafe

Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:07 pm

SCQ83 wrote:

Which makes a sweet and yellow headline for readers. Then you go through the list and find out that in the same bucket than Turkey, Venezuela, Congo, Sudan, Pakistan and Mexico..... you also find Cuba or the whole Russia and China. Not to say not long ago Peru and the whole China was included in level 3, and even NK until went down to level 4. Just one more political tool from the US to put pressure on people based on irrational fear and ignorance.

SCQ83

Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:16 pm

Jayafe wrote:
Which makes a sweet and yellow headline for readers. Then you go through the list and find out that in the same bucket than Turkey, Venezuela, Congo, Sudan, Pakistan and Mexico..... you also find Cuba or the whole Russia and China. Not to say not long ago Peru and the whole China was included in level 3, and even NK until went down to level 4. Just one more political tool from the US to put pressure on people based on irrational fear and ignorance.

China is on level 2, comparable to most of Western Europe.

Regarding Russia, level 3

Reconsider travel to Russia due to terrorism and harassment. Some areas have increased risk. Read the entire Travel Advisory.

Terrorist groups continue plotting possible attacks in Russia. Terrorists may attack with little or no warning, targeting tourist locations, transportation hubs, markets/shopping malls, and local government facilities. Bomb threats against public venues are common.

U.S. citizens are often victims of harassment, mistreatment, and extortion by law-enforcement and other officials. U.S. consular assistance to detained individuals is often unreasonably delayed by Russian officials. Russia also enforces special restrictions on dual U.S.-Russian nationals. Due to the Russian government-imposed reduction on U.S. diplomatic personnel in Russia, the U.S. government has reduced ability to provide services to U.S. citizens.

As for Cuba, level 3

Reconsider travel to Cuba due to attacks targeting U.S. Embassy Havana employees resulting in the drawdown of embassy staff.

Numerous U.S. Embassy Havana employees appear to have been targeted in specific attacks. Many of these employees have suffered injuries. Affected individuals have exhibited a range of physical symptoms including ear complaints and hearing loss, dizziness, headaches, fatigue, cognitive issues, visual problems, and difficulty sleeping.

Because our personnel's safety is at risk, and we are unable to identify the source, we believe U.S. citizens may also be at risk. Attacks have occurred in U.S. diplomatic residences (including a long-term apartment at the Atlantic) and at Hotel Nacional and Hotel Capri in Havana.

The U.S. Embassy in Havana is operating with reduced staffing and, as result, has limited ability to assist U.S. citizens, particularly outside Havana.

They look very rational to me. The detail in Mexico is quite exceptional, going state by state and almost city by city.

HeyTK

Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:33 pm

SCQ83 wrote:
HeyTK wrote:

That is very objective. I hope you dont believe that. Shakira just had a concert in Istanbul a few days ago so I dont think she would have visited if that was the case. I have never seen an american tourist in Turkey anyway so I doesn't matter. Istanbul, Antalya and the west coast are booming with european, russian and arab tourists atm so I guess its good.

mafaky

Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:46 pm

I suspect the old IST will stay open for private flights. If you do not kill an airport quickly, it has a habit of being taken over by LCCs.

That is the logical way of thinking and also it must have happened at many countries till now. But that will not happen in Istanbul.

The main reason is: the BOTS Contract between the State & the IGA (BOTS) Consortium includes an irrevocable condition that once Istanbul New Airport (INA) becomes operational, the existing Atatürk Airport will be closed down for all civil airlines (pax & freight) operations. So, simply for that reason, Atatürk Airport cannot/will not be overtaken by other LCC and charter airlines. There will be no other civil airport for scheduled/unscheduled pax & freight operations (except for GA and some State-authorised flights) on the European side of Istanbul City, as per that agreement.

However, for some period of time (maybe for a year) all-cargo flights will still be carried at Atatürk Airport, as they (IGA and Turkish/other cargo carriers) couldn't build up their new big cargo facilities at INA. Presently, only a rather small Cargo Handling Center is under construction to handle the belly cargo! This will result in a rather unorthodox logistics: some containers off-loaded from TK freighters at Atatürk, will be carried over to INA by land transport, to be loaded on the planes as belly cargos (the transit cargo) and possibly vice-versa.

TK also had no time (and funds) to set up their main base maintenance facility (base MRO) at INA. It will take them a minimum of 2 years to have the new and very big one at INA. So, the one at Atatürk has to be fully used till that date.

And finally: General Aviation (GA) operations. In my opinion and from the rumors I have heard, GA will stay at Atatürk Airport for an even longer future. INA has no GA Terminal built or even one on their short to medium term expansion plans. The BOTS Consortium, actually see the GA side of the business as a pain and not as a profit making line, and try to stay away from that segment as long as possible. Ironically, the corporate jets of the BOTS partners are and will be based in Atatürk. Even today, new hangars & facilities are being built and added at Atatürk for GA.

The two parallel 3000x45 mt (but not independent) 17/35 runways at Atatürk may not be utilised (or utilised with extreme precautions and at lowest possible cases), but the shorter 2600x60 meter 05/23 runway will be totally safe for any operations, if not limited by MTOWs. Certainly for GA aircraft, there can be no worries and restrictions, when using this shorter runway.
A veteran Electronics & Communications Engineer from Istanbul-Turkey, highly interested in civil and military aviation.

ASA

Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:04 pm

SCQ83 wrote:
HeyTK wrote:

Yet, the number of American tourists in Turkey or Mexico every year would simply blow away the numbers visiting the others. State Dept is doing its job - and the people are going about their own decisions. Turkey had/has a certain risk due to the Syria situation ... especially at the height of the crisis and when IST came under attack. But things are much much better now. In fact, traveling through Istanbul, Izmir, Cappadocia, and many other places ... you would feel as welcome as traditional for Turkey.

I have had the chance of visiting that beautiful country four times since 2009 ... in fact, TK used to be my favorite airline on my way to DAC. But now the DAC flight is timed so God awfully bad that I have been using EK for the last few trips. I don't know how the Turks do it but they are wizards of construction ... and I was thinking it'll be at least 2020 before the new airport starts! I fondly remember the Ataturk airport ... and was kind of on the fence about the new airport (and the massive new construction and destruction of greenery) ... but I think the final product will be awesome and IST will once again be a true international crossroads :bigthumbsup:

mafaky

Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:31 am

I have a chart that shows the planning of carrying Istanbul Ataturk Airport to Istanbul New Airport.
You can see it in this link: http://wowturkey.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 63#6648263

Unfortunately it's in Turkish so I will give a detailed explanation of the planned timings:

1) On 29th October, for the full day, it will be "business as usual" at Istanbul Ataturk. In INA (=Istanbul New Airport) there is scheduled an opening ceremony, only. No flight activities, yet.

2) On 30th October :
a) Ataturk Airport will be closed for all foreign airlines activities starting at 00:00! Between 00:00 -- 16:00 (16 hrs.). Only "Turkish" base airlines (i.e. THY, OHY & KKK) will continue their flights and between 16:01 -- 23:00 (7 hrs.) only THY pax flights will be allowed. Exceptions will be: All cargo flights, GA and Airtaxi flights, MRO ferry flights.Starting 23:01 on 30th till 21:00 (23 hrs.) on 31st Oct. Istanbul AHL will be closed for all airlines pax flights.
b) On 30th October 24:00 Ataturk's IST IATA Code will be changed to ISL and Istanbul New Airport will resume the IST IATA Code.
c) INA (New Istanbul AP), will be closed for all carriers' flights (pax or not) between 00:00 of 30th Oct. till 11:00 of 31st (35 hrs.). On 31st, only THY pax flights will be allowed after 11:01 on 31st till 16:00 (5 hrs.) and after 16:01 till 21:00 (5 hrs.) other Turkish carriers' pax flights (OHY, KKK) will be added. Starting 21:01 on 31st Oct. all carriers' pax flights will be operational at INA.
d) This means that non-base carriers (basically the "foreigners" and PGS and SXS from Turkey) will not be flying to/from Istanbul between 00:01 on 30th till 21:00 on 31st (45 hrs.)

3) During the above mentioned 45 hrs. period both Ataturk AP and INA will be open for all ferry flights.
A veteran Electronics & Communications Engineer from Istanbul-Turkey, highly interested in civil and military aviation.

LGAviation

Opening of Istanbul's Third Airport and TK move

Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:31 pm

From my understanding, the envisioned date of opening for Istanbul's third airport is still 29 October and all flights will move immediately. I have read in the past about TK possibly having difficulties in financing the move but nonetheless never heard information contrary to the above. When I look at TK's website however, there is still no mentioning of the move and flights are indefinitely scheduled to use Atatürk. I currently have an active booking on a TK flight in early November and today received a schedule change which to my great surprise changed the arrival time at IST (ATATURK) by five minutes.

So, is the TK move plan still on track and if so, isn't it a bit odd that they haven't yet updated their schedules and that passengers basically are left in the dark.
2018: ADD CPH DAR DEN DME DUB FRA HAH HAM IST JIB KEF LYR MEL OSL PEK PKC PVG RAK STN SVO SYD YVR

leftyboarder

Re: Opening of Istanbul's Third Airport and TK move

Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:03 pm

I think TK is trying to distance themselves from this, it's ultimately DHMİ/SHGM/Ministry of Transport who will decide on the final move date and TK will oblige but I think they are also getting mixed signals behind closed doors. If they were given a definitive info I am sure they would've started prep. We will wait and see. I am highly doubtful too.

mercure1

Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:25 pm

It will be quite a sight to see as thousands of pieces of equipment are relocated between airports. I well remember news video of HKG airport move.
mercure f-wtcc

VSMUT

Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:29 pm

What if you are connecting overnight through Istanbul? Will they transfer you? What about those who need visas, will they be exempt from that?

LGAviation

Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:53 pm

mafaky wrote:
I have a chart that shows the planning of carrying Istanbul Ataturk Airport to Istanbul New Airport.
You can see it in this link: http://wowturkey.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 63#6648263

Unfortunately it's in Turkish so I will give a detailed explanation of the planned timings:

1) On 29th October, for the full day, it will be "business as usual" at Istanbul Ataturk. In INA (=Istanbul New Airport) there is scheduled an opening ceremony, only. No flight activities, yet.

2) On 30th October :
a) Ataturk Airport will be closed for all foreign airlines activities starting at 00:00! Between 00:00 -- 16:00 (16 hrs.). Only "Turkish" base airlines (i.e. THY, OHY & KKK) will continue their flights and between 16:01 -- 23:00 (7 hrs.) only THY pax flights will be allowed. Exceptions will be: All cargo flights, GA and Airtaxi flights, MRO ferry flights.Starting 23:01 on 30th till 21:00 (23 hrs.) on 31st Oct. Istanbul AHL will be closed for all airlines pax flights.
b) On 30th October 24:00 Ataturk's IST IATA Code will be changed to ISL and Istanbul New Airport will resume the IST IATA Code.
c) INA (New Istanbul AP), will be closed for all carriers' flights (pax or not) between 00:00 of 30th Oct. till 11:00 of 31st (35 hrs.). On 31st, only THY pax flights will be allowed after 11:01 on 31st till 16:00 (5 hrs.) and after 16:01 till 21:00 (5 hrs.) other Turkish carriers' pax flights (OHY, KKK) will be added. Starting 21:01 on 31st Oct. all carriers' pax flights will be operational at INA.
d) This means that non-base carriers (basically the "foreigners" and PGS and SXS from Turkey) will not be flying to/from Istanbul between 00:01 on 30th till 21:00 on 31st (45 hrs.)

3) During the above mentioned 45 hrs. period both Ataturk AP and INA will be open for all ferry flights.

Interesting insights! Thanks for sharing. I am surprised that foreign airlines don't call foul play for this competitive disadvantage, although given its briefness and its operational background it seems justifiable. Also, as with the lack of adjusted schedules with TK, the foreign airlines don't appear to have already gotten the memo. Lufthansa for instance is happily selling flights during that blocked period.
2018: ADD CPH DAR DEN DME DUB FRA HAH HAM IST JIB KEF LYR MEL OSL PEK PKC PVG RAK STN SVO SYD YVR

TK787
Topic Author

Re: Opening of Istanbul's Third Airport and TK move

Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:04 pm

LGAviation wrote:
From my understanding, the envisioned date of opening for Istanbul's third airport is still 29 October and all flights will move immediately. I have read in the past about TK possibly having difficulties in financing the move but nonetheless never heard information contrary to the above. When I look at TK's website however, there is still no mentioning of the move and flights are indefinitely scheduled to use Atatürk. I currently have an active booking on a TK flight in early November and today received a schedule change which to my great surprise changed the arrival time at IST (ATATURK) by five minutes.

So, is the TK move plan still on track and if so, isn't it a bit odd that they haven't yet updated their schedules and that passengers basically are left in the dark.

-IIRC, I read recently that close to $1B financing for the move is secured. It all seemed to be going forward as planned.
-I do have a November connecting flight by TK via IST and just got a recent email about a 15 min difference in departure time. Happens all the time with other airlines also. Recently my JKF-FCO on DL got 15 min change.
I also have to mention that all airlines had this coming for about 5 years and I'm sure they planned accordingly. TK is also going into Winter Schedule earlier to ease the operations. I am sure they will have many problems when doing a big move such as this, but since this is all expected all hands will be on deck, and backup plans will be ready. But all that said, I am glad I am not going to be there for those few days :)

Dieuwer

Re: Istanbul new airport - latest pictures and discussion thread

Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:07 pm

How is the collapsing Turkish Lira influencing all of this?

TK787
Topic Author

Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:29 pm

Dieuwer wrote:
How is the collapsing Turkish Lira influencing all of this?

I am not sure, but I assume not very favorably.
-AFAIK, Turkish Central Bank had to revise the year end dolar/TL parity twice already. On April 19, 2018 they projected USD to be 4.22TL at the end of the year, but on July 19, 2018 they moved it up to 4.83TL. As we all know today it was around 5.07TL. So, how do businesses plan for even few months ahead is a big question. But a capital project like this will get finished somehow with the help of public banks and such without checks/balances.
-Also the consortium had to pay $1B Euro rent a year, they got a waiver to not pay anything for the first two years !!??, somehow.
-As most rents and expenses are in dollar/euro I am not sure how is this going to be sustainable for the renters.
-One positive point that up to 50% of the pax using the airport will be foreigners transitting and they will be using foreign currency.
-Also the big player at IST, TK, makes most of its money in foreign currency and spends most of in TL, should be OK. I can see TK dumping even more capacity to this airport with no slot restrictions, to make up for any losses.

TC957

Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:55 pm

ISL is currently allocated to a place called Isabel Pass in Alaska.
INA is also allocated, to Inta in Russia.

ScottB

Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:09 pm

TC957 wrote:

I'm guessing that's an FAA code and not an IATA code. The IATA code ISL doesn't appear to be assigned.

UPlog wrote:
While work never takes to me Turkey, this airport looks quite nice.

This may seem odd, but the terminal, even as huge as it is, seems too small for the amount of traffic IST currently gets. I'd expect at least twice as many gates.

TK787
Topic Author

Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:09 pm

TC957 wrote:

https://www.iata.org/policy/slots/Docum ... if-ist.pdf

TK787
Topic Author

Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:14 pm

ScottB wrote:

This may seem odd, but the terminal, even as huge as it is, seems too small for the amount of traffic IST currently gets. I'd expect at least twice as many gates.

-The new IST will be around 15,000,000 square feet. That is around 315 football fields.
-And the terminal will have 143 gates.

lightsaber

Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:18 pm

LGAviation wrote:
mafaky wrote:

2) On 30th October :

Interesting insights! Thanks for sharing. I am surprised that foreign airlines don't call foul play for this competitive disadvantage, although given its briefness and its operational background it seems justifiable. Also, as with the lack of adjusted schedules with TK, the foreign airlines don't appear to have already gotten the memo. Lufthansa for instance is happily selling flights during that blocked period.

Agreed. Cutting bif flights of one group isn't allowed. Perhaps TK flights won't be allowed at the other end. Bilaterals require equal access.

It is allowed to stagger. E.g., foreign ailines move say 2 days earlier.

Lightsaber
Winter is coming.

TC957

Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:22 pm

TK787 wrote:
TC957 wrote:

https://www.iata.org/policy/slots/Docum ... if-ist.pdf

Thanks - Galileo GDS needs updating then !

LGAviation

Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:35 pm

lightsaber wrote:
LGAviation wrote:
mafaky wrote:

2) On 30th October :

Agreed. Cutting bif flights of one group isn't allowed. Perhaps TK flights won't be allowed at the other end. Bilaterals require equal access.

Lightsaber

Is access to specific airports part of Turkey's bilaterals. I mean with Turkey if you're not a leisure carrier focussed on AYT, IST is pretty much the airport to be with SAW and ESB far behind and denying access to IST pretty much equals denying access but I wonder if that would actually affect bilaterals. I think most people wouldn't see a problem if the US for instance closed off IAD for a day to foreign airlines. I don't think anyone is helped if TK isn't allowed to fly on these dates either since that would cut off Turkey entirely. if anything, reciprocal measures should be that TK can't operate on a day that foreign airlines can once or twice. Still, it's only 40ish hours so it won't ultimately have a significant effect.

TK787 wrote:
LGAviation wrote:

-IIRC, I read recently that close to $1B financing for the move is secured. It all seemed to be going forward as planned.
-I do have a November connecting flight by TK via IST and just got a recent email about a 15 min difference in departure time. Happens all the time with other airlines also. Recently my JKF-FCO on DL got 15 min change.
I also have to mention that all airlines had this coming for about 5 years and I'm sure they planned accordingly. TK is also going into Winter Schedule earlier to ease the operations. I am sure they will have many problems when doing a big move such as this, but since this is all expected all hands will be on deck, and backup plans will be ready. But all that said, I am glad I am not going to be there for those few days :)

I am not surprised with the five minutes part.
I am surprised with the part that they are still specifically mentioning Atatürk in a schedule change at this time. I mean for me it's a connection and albeit a vey tight one (I hope things will run smoothly in week one since I don't want to be stranded in Istanbul because I have commitments the following day), I don't really care if I experience the zoo of Atatürk one last time or a new airport in its first week for the first time :D

thekorean

Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:47 pm

Until Metro to the new airport is finished people actually going to Istanbul are screwed.

God knows how much cabs will charge.

mercure1

Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:04 pm

thekorean wrote:
Until Metro to the new airport is finished people actually going to Istanbul are screwed.

Considering a very tiny number of people use the metro today to IST (the numbers which were recently posted in Turkish Aviation thread), I don't see the difference really.

Bulk of customers chose to arrive in personal cards, taxis or bus. Yes sure the cost might rise at new airport, but it can be costly to reach SAW also as its pretty distant in its own way.
mercure f-wtcc

lightsaber

Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:11 pm

LGAviation wrote:
lightsaber wrote:
LGAviation wrote:

Lightsaber

Is access to specific airports part of Turkey's bilaterals. I mean with Turkey if you're not a leisure carrier focussed on AYT, IST is pretty much the airport to be with SAW and ESB far behind and denying access to IST pretty much equals denying access but I wonder if that would actually affect bilaterals. I think most people wouldn't see a problem if the US for instance closed off IAD for a day to foreign airlines. I don't think anyone is helped if TK isn't allowed to fly on these dates either since that would cut off Turkey entirely. if anything, reciprocal measures should be that TK can't operate on a day that foreign airlines can once or twice. Still, it's only 40ish hours so it won't ultimately have a significant effect.

TK787 wrote:
LGAviation wrote:

I am not surprised with the five minutes part.
I am surprised with the part that they are still specifically mentioning Atatürk in a schedule change at this time. I mean for me it's a connection and albeit a vey tight one (I hope things will run smoothly in week one since I don't want to be stranded in Istanbul because I have commitments the following day), I don't really care if I experience the zoo of Atatürk one last time or a new airport in its first week for the first time :D

Bilaterals require equal access.

For example, Bermuda II forced UK flights from LGW as well as US.

If non-turkish airlines are unable to fly in and out for 45 hours, it is perfectly permissible to ban Turkish flights from the airports the other side is banned from.

Without notice FYI. Access must be equal.

For your example, if IAD banned foreign airlines for a day, the UK could ban all IAD flights for the same time period, and should.

When Stapleton was closed, everyone moved together for this reason.

Obviously small counties cannot object, but do not expect the US, Germany, UK, France, Russia, China, or others.

They might allow say SAW if access is permitted for the 45 hours and limit TK and other Turkish airlines to SAW.

Bilaterals are tit for tat. TK doesn't have to be given notice either....

It actually gives a big cost advantage to TK.
It will depend, but if I was flying into IST, I would protest.

Lightsaber
Winter is coming.

ScottB

Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:29 pm

TK787 wrote:
-And the terminal will have 143 gates.

Just from counting in the pictures posted, I see roughly 60 (but quite a few more passenger boarding bridges given that larger aircraft will board with two or more). Is that 143 contact gates or contact gates + remote stands? It looks like there's going to be a lot of bus boarding if the latter is the case.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos