Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

TK787
Topic Author

Re: Istanbul new airport - latest pictures and discussion thread

Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:39 pm

ScottB wrote:
TK787 wrote:
-And the terminal will have 143 gates.

Just from counting in the pictures posted, I see roughly 60 (but quite a few more passenger boarding bridges given that larger aircraft will board with two or more). Is that 143 contact gates or contact gates + remote stands? It looks like there's going to be a lot of bus boarding if the latter is the case.

AFAIK, this number does NOT include remote stands. A.net member "mafaky" has more info on the new airport matters, maybe he can chime in to give more info.

KrustyTheKlown

Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:05 am

According to page 26 from this presentation in Turkish:

Terminalde 143 yolcu biniş köprüsü var. Bu köprüler aynı anda 114 uçuşa hizmet verebilecektir.
Pier 2'de 18 adet iç kapı, 96 adet uluslararası kapı ve 4 adet kapı Pier 1'de swing kapı olarak kullanılmak üzere tasarlanmıştır.
Yolcu biniş köprülerine ek olarak, 13 iç ve 16 uluslararası (ikisi kapalı kapı olarak hizmet verebilen) olmak üzere, apron seviyesinde 29 adet uzaktan biniş kapısı bulunmaktadır.

Google translate:

There are 143 passenger boarding bridges in the terminal. These bridges can serve 114 flights at the same time.
Pier 2 has 18 interior doors, 96 international doors and 4 doors designed to be used as swing doors in Pier 1.
In addition to passenger boarding bridges, there are 29 remote entrance doors at apron level, 13 internal and 16 international (both can serve as closed doors).

So I'm guessing the terminal has 114 gates (18 for national flights + 96 for national/international] plus 4 "gates" (i.e. seating areas for 29 remote stands). 114+29 = 143

Hopefully somebody who knows Turkish could correct my interpretation.

TK787
Topic Author

Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:50 am

"KrustyTheKlown", thanks, that's pretty good. 114+29=143

leftyboarder

Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:41 am

ScottB wrote:
TK787 wrote:
-And the terminal will have 143 gates.

Just from counting in the pictures posted, I see roughly 60 (but quite a few more passenger boarding bridges given that larger aircraft will board with two or more). Is that 143 contact gates or contact gates + remote stands? It looks like there's going to be a lot of bus boarding if the latter is the case.

Some of the stands are equipped with multiple boarding bridges with space for two aircraft, so those count as two gates. The interior configuration has gate couples with consecutive numbers in those cases.

AirlineCritic

Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:59 am

This is an amazing schedule! Very exciting to see the new airport become used. Hope that all goes well.

(Maybe Berlin airport could be moved by the same guys to Turkey... would be more useful than their efforts in the last decade...)

mafaky

Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:35 am

I am quoting a third party's (a non-Turkish member but apparently someone who knows Turkey pretty well) message from another overseas (non-Turkish) Forum. The author has already stated that it's still a rumor!

Anybody, who has any idea especially about the international approvals for declaring a major airport operational.

AFAIK, TSA and/or FAA inspections/approvals should have an effect on the North American services. But there also must be some approval from ICAO side, which is more of a "global and international" value.

I heard a rumor that the TSA and/or the FAA have delayed an inspection that they had scheduled for September not canceled but indefinately delayed,
A) I am wondering whether this is for a real reason or because of current US/Turkey politics,
B) whether it is real or not, i.e. Whether it just gives a good excuse for delay (I remember many posts back someone speaking about finding the perfect "foreign" excuse to make a delay to save face, and,
C) If it is real and due to the current craziness, what effects it may have on the airport should it open or claim to be ready to be open?
A veteran Electronics & Communications Engineer from Istanbul-Turkey, highly interested in civil and military aviation.

airbazar

Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:46 pm

mercure1 wrote:
thekorean wrote:
Until Metro to the new airport is finished people actually going to Istanbul are screwed.

Considering a very tiny number of people use the metro today to IST (the numbers which were recently posted in Turkish Aviation thread), I don't see the difference really.

Bulk of customers chose to arrive in personal cards, taxis or bus. Yes sure the cost might rise at new airport, but it can be costly to reach SAW also as its pretty distant in its own way.

Uh? You don't see the difference? The current IST is a city airport. The cost of the short taxi ride is cheap so taking the less convenient metro isn't justified.
For the new airport the cost of taking a taxi will be nearly prohibitive making an efficient rail option extremely important.
A good comparison is LHR vs. LCY. How many people take a taxi or tube to LHR vs. LCY,

lightsaber

Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:50 pm

mafaky wrote:
I am quoting a third party's (a non-Turkish member but apparently someone who knows Turkey pretty well) message from another overseas (non-Turkish) Forum. The author has already stated that it's still a rumor!

Anybody, who has any idea especially about the international approvals for declaring a major airport operational.

AFAIK, TSA and/or FAA inspections/approvals should have an effect on the North American services. But there also must be some approval from ICAO side, which is more of a "global and international" value.

I heard a rumor that the TSA and/or the FAA have delayed an inspection that they had scheduled for September not canceled but indefinately delayed,
A) I am wondering whether this is for a real reason or because of current US/Turkey politics,
B) whether it is real or not, i.e. Whether it just gives a good excuse for delay (I remember many posts back someone speaking about finding the perfect "foreign" excuse to make a delay to save face, and,
C) If it is real and due to the current craziness, what effects it may have on the airport should it open or claim to be ready to be open?

Who delayed the inspection?

ICAO must come first is my understanding. The FAA is more paper review and a tour of security processes for flights to the USA. ICAO verifies basic aircraft operation (everything, from gate compatibility, taxiway procedures, runway plans for a variety of weather, aircraft fueling, fire-fighting facility inspection and plans, verification of basic safety features (sprinklers, exits), basic security (alarms on doors to ramp), customs process and layout, vehicle control onto ramp, review of paper certifying ILS, tower processes, tower control (keeping too many tourists out, shift handover, precedence of each tower for certain operations), review of airport charts, review of airport evacuation plans, backup power equipment/plans/and contingencies, how the airport interacts with ATC (paper verification of testing and log review), isolation of domestic and international people and cargo, aircraft anti-ice (I've seen an inspection in Palmdale, so they'll do it at Istanbul), availability of maintenance services for 'visiting airlines' and tour of facilities, review of bathroom facilities (preventing a repeat of BKK and their lack of ladies restrooms at opening), a walk through of passenger traffic flow (into the airport and out after a flight), review of visiting pilot rest facilities (those of Turkish airlines are their problem) including crew rooms, desks for foreign airline dispatch crews/mechanics, and... Ghad...

No wonder ICAO fills up hotels with a small army!

Lightsaber
Winter is coming.

mafaky

Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:01 pm

@ lightsaber :

1) That rumor indicates that US side has postponed that inspection tour by TSA and/or FAA.

2) I guess you have a very valid point about the ICAO inspections. So far, all inspections and certifications have been handled by the local Turkish Authorities; SHGM (=Civil Aviation Authority of Turkish Republic) and DHMI (a sub division of SHGM=State Airport Authority).

3) These ICAO inspections that you have listed can takes ages; at least three months and I guess these inspections can mostly start once everything has been finished. In our case (INA), it's quite apparent that all piers of the Terminal will not be available for operations, at the claimed opening date (Oct. 29th, 2018). Possibly only 3 piers will be ready out of five. As for the runway, they are installing the runway lighting hardware in these days and this will take at least a month. I don't know about systems like ILS, D-VOR, etc. for this 2nd RWY. The 1st RWY has already been calibrated and certified by SHGM but again, I have no idea about the ICAO side.
A veteran Electronics & Communications Engineer from Istanbul-Turkey, highly interested in civil and military aviation.

lightsaber

Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:07 am

mafaky wrote:
@ lightsaber :

1) That rumor indicates that US side has postponed that inspection tour by TSA and/or FAA.

2) I guess you have a very valid point about the ICAO inspections. So far, all inspections and certifications have been handled by the local Turkish Authorities; SHGM (=Civil Aviation Authority of Turkish Republic) and DHMI (a sub division of SHGM=State Airport Authority).

3) These ICAO inspections that you have listed can takes ages; at least three months and I guess these inspections can mostly start once everything has been finished. In our case (INA), it's quite apparent that all piers of the Terminal will not be available for operations, at the claimed opening date (Oct. 29th, 2018). Possibly only 3 piers will be ready out of five. As for the runway, they are installing the runway lighting hardware in these days and this will take at least a month. I don't know about systems like ILS, D-VOR, etc. for this 2nd RWY. The 1st RWY has already been calibrated and certified by SHGM but again, I have no idea about the ICAO side.

I have no idea how long the inspections take. I just see hotels fill up...

Stuff has to be done to be inspected and PDFs of the paper sent. Most is verification of the paper the Turkish agencies sent. But if stuff isn't complete, the paper isn't either. If SHGM certified a runway, it is just a paperwork review. ICAO doesn't fly aircraft to test. But they will visually inspect to make sure the results are plausible (right number and type of transmitters).

As for the FAA canceling, they are mostly a paper team. Either the paper has been sent (PDF format), or reschedule. I wouldn't read much into that as it is late in the process.

Lightsaber
Winter is coming.

hongkongflyer

Re: Istanbul New Airport, Latest Pictures

Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:30 am

atcsundevil wrote:
It's amazing how fast this project has moved. Didn't they only start construction like two years ago? The sad part is that as far as I know, this will have gone from conception to opening in the time that BER was technically completed awaiting opening. Ouch.

Anyway, it looks like they've done a great job. It should give the ME3 a run for their money. A new airport like this should be about as efficient as it gets, and they've moved this along much faster than DWC. EK will be hampered on development until DWC is more fully complete, whereas TK will have a lot of room to work with on expansion.

Beijing new airport is almost completed as well.

mafaky

Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:10 am

hongkongflyer wrote:
Beijing new airport is almost completed as well.

AFAIK: Beijing New (aka Daixing) Airport is due to open by Sept./Oct. 2019; practically 11-12 months after INA (if it can be made fully operational immediately after 29th Oct. 2018)and at the first phase it will have less terminal pax capacity than INA.

LewisNEO

Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:35 am

SamYeager2016 wrote:
mercure1 wrote:
What posted in Reply 7 is not the winning tower design.

Here is the winning design

Well that certainly looks far better. Despite the fact that the linked article says it was inspired by a tulip I have to say that my first thought when looking at that rendering was to think of a snake.

I see A380s in the back, is it a hint? :biggrin:
You are the wind beneath my wings.

Fokker 27, Bombardier Dash 8, Embraer 175 & 195, 727-200, 737-200 & -300 & -400 & -800, 747-400, 767-300, 767-400, DC 10-30, A320-200, A330-200, A330-300, A380.

mict

Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:55 am

Will the new airport have triple jet bridge gates for A380 ops? If so, does anyone know how many?

mafaky

Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:56 am

mict wrote:
Will the new airport have triple jet bridge gates for A380 ops? If so, does anyone know how many?

INA will have 12 contact points (all in PB4-A Gates & PB3-B Gates) to accomodate F category aircraft; i.e. Airbus 380 & Boeing 748. 8 of these will have only two jetways, so they can only service the aircraft thru 1L and 2L doors on the main (lower) deck. The remaining 4 will have triple jetways so the upper deck can also be serviced (in case of the 380). All these 12 contact points will have M.A.R.S. type gates, so in the absence of a F category or E category wide body, 2 narrow body C Category aircraft can be simultaneously serviced.

mercure1

Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:11 pm

New video of the terminal. Looks quite nice inside
https://youtu.be/ocyYo2SN3Z4

And aerial view
https://youtu.be/jj1TGzEh28Q
mercure f-wtcc

mercure1

Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:22 pm

5,000 students to act as mock passengers in operational ready exercises for 3-days starting September 15th.

https://www.dailysabah.com/business/201 ... on-sept-15
mercure f-wtcc

lightsaber

Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:53 pm

mercure1 wrote:
5,000 students to act as mock passengers in operational ready exercises for 3-days starting September 15th.

That is a worthwhile excercise. I hope the give the students restaurant vouchers to test those out and let them excercise the wif and other items. Not to mention bathrooms. I say give them free coffee and beer to make sure all systems are ready! :spit:

I also hope half are female. A different perspective would have helped the BKK opening...

Who here wouldn't want to join? I'm only a little grey and pudgy, may I join? ;)

Lightsaber
Winter is coming.

leftyboarder

Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:42 am

lightsaber wrote:
mercure1 wrote:

That is a worthwhile excercise. I hope the give the students restaurant vouchers to test those out and let them excercise the wif and other items. Not to mention bathrooms. I say give them free coffee and beer to make sure all systems are ready! :spit:

I also hope half are female. A different perspective would have helped the BKK opening...

Who here wouldn't want to join? I'm only a little grey and pudgy, may I join? ;)

Lightsaber

Even though it's a good idea ı think it's just wishful thinking because I doubt wifi / restaurants / bathrooms are ready :) They should give them lint rollers to clean the dust off of themselves afterwards though.

mxaxai

Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:28 am

mafaky wrote:
mict wrote:

INA will have 12 contact points (all in PB4-A Gates & PB3-B Gates) to accomodate F category aircraft; i.e. Airbus 380 & Boeing 748. 8 of these will have only two jetways, so they can only service the aircraft thru 1L and 2L doors on the main (lower) deck. The remaining 4 will have triple jetways so the upper deck can also be serviced (in case of the 380). All these 12 contact points will have M.A.R.S. type gates, so in the absence of a F category or E category wide body, 2 narrow body C Category aircraft can be simultaneously serviced.

4 triple jetways seems like a lot. Has anybody expressed the desire to operate the A380 to Istanbul yet? I can only think of EK who might.

lightsaber wrote:

Lightsaber

I think some "non-ideal" passengers would improve the simulation, e. g. people with reduced mobility / hearing / vision, people in wheelchairs, people with strollers, people who don't learn & understand as quickly, people of non-average height or weight, ...
Most, if not all of the students will likely be physically & mentally fit adults.

OlafW

Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:04 am

mxaxai wrote:
I think some "non-ideal" passengers would improve the simulation, e. g. people with reduced mobility / hearing / vision, people in wheelchairs, people with strollers, people who don't learn & understand as quickly, people of non-average height or weight, ...
Most, if not all of the students will likely be physically & mentally fit adults.

Judging from own experience, some of the test candidates are given special roles to simulate the impairments you described. This helps to identify problems but at the same time reduces risks in case something unforeseen happens. At least, I hope that those tests are done more or less the same around the world...

EricAY05

Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:31 am

Has the opening date been confirmed yet? The only date I have seen mentioned is October 29th. I have an upcoming trip that could offer me the chance to visit the new TK lounge if the new airport opens within a few days of this date.

mxaxai

Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:21 pm

Rumor has it that the opening may be delayed. But the main point of the article is the recent news about a strike:
The protest broke out after a shuttle bus accident on Friday in which 17 workers were injured, said Ozgur Karabulut, general manager of the Dev Yapi-Is union.

Thousands of workers joined the demonstration, which was broken up by police and gendarmes deploying in riot control vehicles and firing tear gas, he said.

“They broke into the workers’ camp with 30 gendarmerie, broke down the doors and detained around 500 workers,” Karabulut told Reuters by phone. He said he was speaking from a local gendarmerie where he was seeking the workers’s release.

The airport is scheduled to open at the end of October, but Karabulut said that was in doubt because the remaining work would take another two months.

[...] Under a state of emergency imposed after a failed 2016 military coup and only lifted in July, rights to strike or protest were curtailed.

In February, Turkey’s labor ministry said 27 workers had died at the airport since the start of work there in 2015, mainly from work accidents or health problems.

Workers have also complained about poor food at the site, bed bugs in their sleeping quarters and delayed salaries. Pictures they posted online showed cracks in the ceilings and walls of the container homes where they are housed. [...] “Most of them had to go to work today under pressure and under threat,” he said.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-turk ... SKCN1LV094

For comparison, "only" 4 workers died during the construction of BER in Berlin, and each of these accidents was reviewed and led to changes. https://www.morgenpost.de/flughafen-BER ... orben.html

lightsaber

Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:00 pm

mxaxai wrote:
Rumor has it that the opening may be delayed. But the main point of the article is the recent news about a strike:
The protest broke out after a shuttle bus accident on Friday in which 17 workers were injured, said Ozgur Karabulut, general manager of the Dev Yapi-Is union.

Thousands of workers joined the demonstration, which was broken up by police and gendarmes deploying in riot control vehicles and firing tear gas, he said.

“They broke into the workers’ camp with 30 gendarmerie, broke down the doors and detained around 500 workers,” Karabulut told Reuters by phone. He said he was speaking from a local gendarmerie where he was seeking the workers’s release.

The airport is scheduled to open at the end of October, but Karabulut said that was in doubt because the remaining work would take another two months.

[...] Under a state of emergency imposed after a failed 2016 military coup and only lifted in July, rights to strike or protest were curtailed.

In February, Turkey’s labor ministry said 27 workers had died at the airport since the start of work there in 2015, mainly from work accidents or health problems.

Workers have also complained about poor food at the site, bed bugs in their sleeping quarters and delayed salaries. Pictures they posted online showed cracks in the ceilings and walls of the container homes where they are housed. [...] “Most of them had to go to work today under pressure and under threat,” he said.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-turk ... SKCN1LV094

For comparison, "only" 4 workers died during the construction of BER in Berlin, and each of these accidents was reviewed and led to changes. https://www.morgenpost.de/flughafen-BER ... orben.html

I'm a skeptic on projects finishing on time. The news it might open a few months late is not of surprise.

With all the injuries and deaths, I'm shocked there haven't been riots at the work site.

Lightsaber
Winter is coming.

BlatantEcho

Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:34 pm

Flew out of IST for the first time ever this afternoon. 33 min cab ride from downtown , but that place is wildly overcrowded.

New airport will be awesome!

HeyTK

Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:30 pm

Turkish Airlines has decided to first start with moving 20/30 planes for non connected flights for the first few months and then to fully move in december.

LSZH34

Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:40 pm

Why did they build the runways right next to each other? Min. 2500‘ for independent operation…

lightsaber

Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:52 pm

HeyTK wrote:
Turkish Airlines has decided to first start with moving 20/30 planes for non connected flights for the first few months and then to fully move in december.

Is there a link? Sensible. A real test.
Winter is coming.

HeyTK

Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:43 pm

lightsaber wrote:
HeyTK wrote:

Is there a link? Sensible. A real test.

Yes but its in Turkish.

http://m.airporthaber.com/havacilik-hab ... arari.html

mafaky

Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:15 pm

LSZH34 wrote:
Why did they build the runways right next to each other? Min. 2500‘ for independent operation…

Rwy Set1 (34/16) and Rwy Set 2 (35/17) are 1.300+ meters apart. (Main Rwy1 centerline to Main Rwy2 centerline). They can be operated independently.

TK787
Topic Author

Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:38 pm

First TK plane lands at the new airport today (video), A321 for Teknofest, some kind of a aviation, space and techology festival going on at the new airport grounds:
https://twitter.com/bilaleksithy?lang=en

LAXintl

Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:33 pm

News out that DHMI the nation airport authority stating that the opening of the airport will slip 2-months till December 31st.

More than a dozen aircraft operated at the new airport including TuAF F-16 and F-5 demonstration team for the technology fair.

https://img.fanatik.com.tr/img/78/677x4 ... 28dd999b0c

https://img.fanatik.com.tr/img/78/677x4 ... 28dc4f6919

https://img.fanatik.com.tr/img/78/677x4 ... 0dc1f484b1
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

lightsaber

Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:13 pm

LAXintl wrote:
News out that DHMI the nation airport authority stating that the opening of the airport will slip 2-months till December 31st.

More than a dozen aircraft operated at the new airport including TuAF F-16 and F-5 demonstration team for the technology fair.

https://img.fanatik.com.tr/img/78/677x4 ... 28dd999b0c

https://img.fanatik.com.tr/img/78/677x4 ... 28dc4f6919

https://img.fanatik.com.tr/img/78/677x4 ... 0dc1f484b1

I'm shocked, shocked to find gambling here.

Yea... I'm a cynic on large programs meeting schedule. Personally, I doubt 2 months will be met... This is no slight on Turkey, it is the lack of testing time, rework time, and retest time.

They need a larger group there to really test the system (escalators all running, w/elevators, baggage movement, restaurants powered up and serving, and restrooms... Used).

Even parking. Does the traffic direction work?

Lightsaber
Winter is coming.

LAXintl

Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:54 pm

lightsaber wrote:

They need a larger group there to really test the system (escalators all running, w/elevators, baggage movement, restaurants powered up and serving, and restrooms... Used).

Large-scale user testing will ultimately involve 10-aircraft and 9,000 volunteers simulated passengers over 3 ORAT (Operational Preparation and Airport Transport) stages.

o Upcoming trial will involve 1,000 simulated passengers with 2,000 pieces of luggage with 2 aircraft plus 800 meet and greeters for landside testing.

o Then in 2 weeks, 3,000 pax with 6,000 luggage, 3 aircraft with 3,000 land side testers.

o Final test in mid October will involve 5,000 simulated pax, 10,000 bags, 5 aircraft, and 1,000 landside testers.

ORAT test are being managed by teams from CPH and ICN who have been advisors to the airport operator, and are in addition to 46 smaller individual and facility certification trials that have been ongoing since the end of May.

ORAT document explains simulation as:
In the trials, the so-called passengers will experience the process of arriving and entering the terminal, checking in including potential changing their selected seat and re-ticketing and handing over their luggage to proceed through security and immigration to reach boarding gate area for enplanement. Designated transfer passengers are to find their connection flight gate while experiencing various public spaces enroute. Arriving passengers to proceed with immigration formalities and baggage areas. Many scenario variations will be timed. During planned failure of systems during the trials, the contingency plans are tested.

janders

Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:49 pm

2-month delay is nothing compared to what the "efficient" Germans are doing in Berlin.

Seems China and Turkey are masters of big projects. Rail, bridges, tunnels, airports, arenas, etc. I read that since 2000 the number of new terminals (and in many cases entire new airports) built in Turkey was 29. Wow!!
"We make war that we may live in peace." -- Aristotle

DGVT

Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:19 pm

janders wrote:
2-month delay is nothing compared to what the "efficient" Germans are doing in Berlin.

Seems China and Turkey are masters of big projects. Rail, bridges, tunnels, airports, arenas, etc. I read that since 2000 the number of new terminals (and in many cases entire new airports) built in Turkey was 29. Wow!!

While I agree that China, Turkey and co. are incredibly quick at building infrastructure projects, I think that one should consider the different political and regulatory requirements. While BER is a huge mess (especially due to the original planning), I am still happy that they take fire safety rather seriously. I really wonder how fire safety (regulations and enforcement, training) is in countries like Turkey or China, when you have a lot of pressure coming from the top (politicians). Also in my experience the building quality is better in Europe (although I must admit that most European projects have a longer projected economic life). In some Asian countries, I have seen some very shoddy work, especially when you start looking where they don’t expect you too look.

TK787
Topic Author

Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:01 am

DGVT wrote:
I must admit that most European projects have a longer projected economic life). In some Asian countries, I have seen some very shoddy work, especially when you start looking where they don’t expect you too look.

I agree. The current IST International terminal is not even 20 years old and in a few months it will be deserted. On the other hand, I live in NYC and the 100 year old subway system is in ruins. LGA terminals are horrible to say the least. Even parts of EWR, JFK are crumbling. I live in a 60 yrs old apartment building in NYC and we constantly have elevator, plumbing, exterior problems :(

Flightsimboy

Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:05 am

What is the registration of the 777 in the pics. Hare to tell.
LAX772LR - "Answer to goofy question:" in response to my question about the B737-MAX8 being grounded. 48 hours later all B737-MAX8 grounded worldwide. Go figure!!

aldrigsomandre

Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:32 am

LAXintl wrote:

Finally, common sense prevails.
There is no point in rushing such a big and important project.

I think that the opening will be further delayed.

Safety comes first.

Also, there is no point in opening this without underground links.

TK787
Topic Author

Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:33 am

Flightsimboy wrote:
What is the registration of the 777 in the pics. Hare to tell.

"TC-LJA", also you see some more photos and video of the Turkish stars here: https://twitter.com/turkyildizlari1?lang=en

LAXintl

Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:17 pm

Quite a busy 4-day event

Tower looks nice (designed to replicate a tulip)

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DnypPAxX0AE0grE.jpg:large

janders

Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:12 pm

Any updates? We are 4 days away from opening.

I see they have invited many to walk through facilities. Looks nice.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DqXXBD5WsAMOBsc.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DqXXBD4XcAAvcEA.jpg

Also a new video released
https://twitter.com/igairport/status/10 ... 2499101696
"We make war that we may live in peace." -- Aristotle

FriscoHeavy

Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:31 pm

Looks very nice. Thank God they went with some nice looking blue signs that give direction to gates. I'm tired of seeing the putrid yellow signs a lot of places we go. This looks like a very comfortable airport and can't wait to see it in person one day.
Whatever

LAXintl

Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:42 pm

Well it was posted in the Turkish aviation thread that initially they will utilize 2 piers - one international, 1 domestic for the TK flights that start next week.

TK itself said they sold 17,600 tickets the first week of sales for the 5 routes it will operate at the airport.

Also the airport is offering free parking until December 31st, and bus lines linking the airport will have a 50% discount till end of the year.

chunhimlai

Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:46 pm

The transfer date has been postponed to 30DEC2018

chunhimlai

Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:02 pm

Based on EIS

incitatus

Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:11 pm

Are control towers really needed? Three of them? Why not virtualize everything in a ground floor room using 2018 technology?
I do not consume Murdoch products including the Wall Street Journal

mercure1

Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:13 pm

I look forward to reading the trip report starting next week.

The facility looks great.
mercure f-wtcc

skipness1E

Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:16 pm

incitatus wrote:
Are control towers really needed? Three of them? Why not virtualize everything in a ground floor room using 2018 technology?

The technology at that level remains untested. London City and NATS are looking to see how it really works in actiom with a virtual Tower at LCY soon.

UPlog

Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:12 pm

I really find it fascinating how so many foreign nations are able to deliver great infrastructure projects in a short time, while it can take us a decade to simply renovate a few terminals.

While I doubt I will ever get to pilot a plane into IST, I would look forward to using it as a passenger. Kudos to the Turks
I fly your boxes

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos