TK105

Re: Istanbul new airport - latest pictures and discussion thread

Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:59 pm

LLA001 wrote:
How is the new airport for spotting and photography? Are there any locations around the airport that can be used for that purpose and I wonder if there any offical observation decks or places?

Nothing for now. However if you do some offroad, there are great hill top locations. Another option is to go to sandy beach at the end of runway by the Black Sea if it is not a restricted area. Probably you also need to do some offroad for that.
The future is in the skies.

LLA001

Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:51 am

TK105 wrote:
LLA001 wrote:
How is the new airport for spotting and photography? Are there any locations around the airport that can be used for that purpose and I wonder if there any offical observation decks or places?

Nothing for now. However if you do some offroad, there are great hill top locations. Another option is to go to sandy beach at the end of runway by the Black Sea if it is not a restricted area. Probably you also need to do some offroad for that.

I was really hoping for an open terrace ( like in AMS ) for spotting but I guess wishfull thinking :) Well, nothing will substitute Flyinn

stylo777

Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:01 am

There are those hilly areas to the West overlooking the runways and quite far away the terminal (Tayakadin and Durusu), but nothing comparable to Flyinn for sure.

JakTrax

Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:00 pm

Probably the wrong place but I'll likely get more accurate info here than in the photography forum.....

I'm thinking of a spotting trip to the old Ataturk end of April/beginning of May - is the variety and number of movements still likely to be consistent?

Thanks,
Karl
Last edited by JakTrax on Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mict

Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:05 pm

JakTrax wrote:
Probably the wrong place but I'll probably get more accurate info here than in the photography forum.....

I'm thinking of a spotting trip to the old Ataturk end of April/beginning of May - is the variety and number of movements still likely to be consistent?

Thanks,
Karl

It's gonna be all or nothing. If the move happens by then, you will only see cargo flights. Otherwise, it will be usual traffic.

MeCe

Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:42 pm

debonair wrote:
MeCe wrote:
I heard TK has some concerns about connecting time

Hello, any news about the MCT Minimum Connecting Time at the airport?
I have booked flights with TK last year - but now TK is no longer selling these tickets, which worries me a lot! :cry2:

I remember somewhere they tested about walking times etc but I dont believe such kind of tests. Real world is so different, nobody perform test with a mother two crying kids and their overweight cabin bags. In theory yes, It will work but I would like to see deplane of africa flights ;everybody has 3-4 children and packed plastic bags as cabin bags. They will struggle at that escalators, and mess up every operation.

SFOThinker

New Istanbul Airport a fiasco?

Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:42 pm

I don't know this publication and can't vouch for it, but it claims to have done local reporting on problems with the new airport, starting with an inappropriate site. Perhaps more knowledgeable Anetters can provide perspective: https://www.al-monitor.com/pulse/origin ... lborn.html

enilria

Re: New Istanbul Airport a fiasco?

Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:27 am

Definitely not an unbiased article. I suspect the part about TK support facilities not being ready is true, the rest is questionable.

Dominion301

Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:01 am

No doubt it’ll be open before BER. :stirthepot:

Antarius

Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:17 am

Dominion301 wrote:

There likely will be a New New Istanbul airport replacing this one before BER opens.
2019: SIN HKG NRT DFW IAH HOU CLT LGA JFK SFO SJC EWR SNA EYW MIA BOG LAX ORD DTW OAK PVG BOS DCA IAD ATL LAS BIS CUN PHX OAK SYD MEL DEN BLR MAA DEL KTM YYZ MEX

thekorean

Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:25 am

Dominion301 wrote:

I suppose it doesn't have to be a disaster on the level of BER to be considered a fiasco, to be fair.

EChid

Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:16 am

It's not a fiasco, it's just going as well as any major project does that has timelines set based on political agenda instead of realistic goals. I definitely not call it a perfectly executed project, but none of what's been reported has surprised me. It just shouldn't have had any pax in it until mid-2019.
2018: DRW-PER-HKG-ICN-MEL-AVV-BNE-OOL-SYD-YYZ-YYZ-YUL-YVR-PDX-SEA-SFO-PEK-KIX-CDG-IST-NRT-HND-BKK-FAT; AC J-TK J-OZ F-DL F-TG J/F-NH J/F-CX J-VA J

Peeter

Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:51 am

enilria wrote:
Definitely not an unbiased article. I suspect the part about TK support facilities not being ready is true, the rest is questionable.

The environmental concerns are well founded, especially with regard to bird migration.

LAXintl

Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:55 am

Published MCTs as follows:

D/D...D/I...I/D...I/I.
30 1.00 1.00 1.00

Looks pretty generic, and likely updated in coming weeks.

For reference baseline current IST are:
D/D...D/I...I/D...I/I.
30 1.30 1.15 1.00
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

NTLDaz

Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:18 am

enilria wrote:

Why do you say that ?

Fly-K

Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:54 am

I have heard the concerns regarding the location (a former mine) and weather from a local expert as well.
Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been...

lutfi

Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:20 am

HKG says hello (also an airport opened too early due politics, and a mess for a while)

jsfr

Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:38 am

Dominion301 wrote:

Or Heathrow’s third runway...

SKAirbus

Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:01 am

If you want fiasco look at Oslo. Gardermoen was chosen over a site in Hurum despite a prevalence of fog and freezing rain (which still causes headaches to this day). This was widely seen as a political decision (i.e. proximity to where certain politicans lived etc etc).

A civil engineer claimed that the weather surveys that formed the basis of the decision to choose Gardermoen over Hurum were falsified, and used by government ministers to deliberately mislead parliament. In 1994 he died after "falling" from a hotel room in Copenhagen.

I'd hazard a guess that Istanbul is just suffering the expected hiccups. It's a huge infrastructure project - with the result being the largest airport in Europe.
Base: BRU

THS214

Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:38 pm

Solidus wrote:
THS214 wrote:
lightsaber wrote:
As much as I would like to see the move earlier rather than later, one of my contacts who knows construction is saying June. I have no clue if his estimate is accurate, but he just came back from Istanbul, although this project is staffed with more people than his projects by a wee bit. ;)

Lightsaber

Considering all the delays and it will be no earlier than September. Whit the resent pace and pictures and what I know about construction, early next year is a lucky guess.

I think end of April / Middle of May is more realistic, situation is not so bad. More flights for testing during March and more time for finishing glance - 1.5 month should be enough.

I wish you are right Solidus. All these short delays reminds me 787 delays when the truth was not told. Good luck for the new airport.

lightsaber

Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:22 pm

THS214 wrote:
Solidus wrote:
THS214 wrote:

Considering all the delays and it will be no earlier than September. Whit the resent pace and pictures and what I know about construction, early next year is a lucky guess.

I think end of April / Middle of May is more realistic, situation is not so bad. More flights for testing during March and more time for finishing glance - 1.5 month should be enough.

I wish you are right Solidus. All these short delays reminds me 787 delays when the truth was not told. Good luck for the new airport.

Series of short delays is a project management who cannot tell the truth and must Promise to meet the next deadline, even when it would be quicker to take say an extra 30 day delay.

As much as I hope it opens, at this point they are doing classic mismanagement. I bet the executives won't even listen to the truth.

Thanks,
Neil
You know nothing John Snow.

THS214

Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:33 pm

lightsaber wrote:
THS214 wrote:
Solidus wrote:

Series of short delays is a project management who cannot tell the truth and must Promise to meet the next deadline, even when it would be quicker to take say an extra 30 day delay.

As much as I hope it opens, at this point they are doing classic mismanagement. I bet the executives won't even listen to the truth.

Thanks,
Neil

100% agree but about 787 several delays I think the reason was more sinister... Cough Wall Street cough.

In Turkey its different so I think you are more right than you think. The official opening, then all these small delays at the last moment... hmmmm. Still wish the airport to open fully soon as it has been an achievement to get from 0 to where they are in this time.

I just don't know yet if the new airport is going to be a lemon or a great airport. Comon Turks, show me its a great airport!

AAEK192

Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:38 pm

The new airport won't be open before (at least) September

PlymSpotter

Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:09 pm

SFOThinker wrote:
I don't know this publication and can't vouch for it, but it claims to have done local reporting on problems with the new airport, starting with an inappropriate site. Perhaps more knowledgeable Anetters can provide perspective: https://www.al-monitor.com/pulse/origin ... lborn.html

These are some interesting points to note in the article

The project was started against all warnings and continued without meeting proper standards. For example, initially the recommendation was to [build] at least 105 meters [344 feet] above sea level. Then they reduced it to 90 meters, and finally it ended up at 60 meters. The ground is not stable; it's built on underground wetlands. There is not enough soil in the world to fill it safely.”

The Jeppeson charts I have seen show the elevation as 325ft, or 99m - so the article would appear to be misguided here. Additionally, the site is mostly laid out on a former (coal?) mine. Now I'm no expert on coal, but it doesn't usually occur in underground wetlands, so there's enough holes in this article to make me question the overall accuracy.
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

MeCe

Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:17 am

PlymSpotter wrote:
The Jeppeson charts I have seen show the elevation as 325ft, or 99m - so the article would appear to be misguided here. Additionally, the site is mostly laid out on a former (coal?) mine. Now I'm no expert on coal, but it doesn't usually occur in underground wetlands, so there's enough holes in this article to make me question the overall accuracy.

There are huge holes at the area from abandoned coal mines. Most of them turned to small lakes, builders had to use very special and very first time techniques stabilize ground so actually no one knows how to hold this techniques over time. In conjuction with warp speed of building I am very curious about long term stability about new airport grounds.

mafaky

Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:40 am

On 18th February, I was on a TK flight, ISL-ESB. On that same day a team from English Civil Aviation Authority (not EASA!!!) was inspecting ISL. The result of this inspection is now revealed unofficially (certainly not thru IGA): The British found out 26 hickups at ISL that are prohibitive that UK registered aircraft and crews should fly to ISL, stay on ground at ISL and possibly even the local BA station crew to be stationed at ISL. This means, until these mishaps are rectified, BA may not fly to ISL... No further info, I can provide for the moment
A veteran Electronics & Communications Engineer from Istanbul-Turkey, highly interested in civil and military aviation.

TK787
Topic Author

Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:34 am

TK pulls the trigger. They announce it on social media about closing ops at Ataturk airport on April 6th:
https://www.facebook.com/turkishairline ... =3&theater

Solidus

Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:59 am

TK787 wrote:
TK pulls the trigger. They announce it on social media about closing ops at Ataturk airport on April 6th:
https://www.facebook.com/turkishairline ... =3&theater

Finally first time we see official announce rather than orient on rumors and insiders.

marcogr12

Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:16 pm

So what will become of Ataturk landfield? Residential area with highrises, hotels, a park etc?
Flying is breathing..no planes no life..

TK787
Topic Author

Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:25 pm

marcogr12 wrote:
So what will become of Ataturk landfield? Residential area with highrises, hotels, a park etc?

-Short term, General Aviation, Cargo ops, VIP flights will still be at Ataturk.
-AFAIK, it has to be closed to passenger flights due to the contract of the new airport. I am not sure the duration of the contract, 20 years???
I would love to see it come back as a 3rd Istanbul airport for domestic flights and LCC carriers in 20 years time.
And until then they can do General Aviation, VIP, Aviation Fairs, Conference Center, Public Park, Maintenance facilities.... whatever...

lightsaber

Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:32 pm

TK787 wrote:
marcogr12 wrote:

-AFAIK, it has to be closed to passenger flights due to the contract of the new airport. I am not sure the duration of the contract, 20 years???
I would love to see it come back as a 3rd Istanbul airport for domestic flights and LCC carriers in 20 years time.
And until then they can do General Aviation, VIP, Aviation Fairs, Conference Center, Public Park, Maintenance facilities.... whatever...

With SAW, ISL would be the next Mirabel without the premium domestic traffic if Ataturk stays open.

Lightsaber

LAXintl

Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:41 pm

lightsaber wrote:
With SAW, ISL would be the next Mirabel without the premium domestic traffic.

Lightsaber

ISL and SAW are nearly 100km apart - virtually on opposite ends of the Istanbul metro area.

Each has their own place in a metro area with population 15+million.

Hardly Montreal.

From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

mafaky

Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:45 pm

TK787 wrote:
marcogr12 wrote:

1) For shot term utilisation: add MRO (base maintenance) for THY + OnurAir, until they can build and install their new facilities at the (current) ISL,
2) Duration of BOTS Contract = 25 years (for the entire usage of 76.5km2 site),
3) Ataturk (due to the contract) will be closed for all scheduled and charter passenger & freight ops (freight will have to stay at Ataturk for a while because TK's big & new cargo terminal will not be ready overnight...).
4) I very much doubt that anything will happen to Ataturk, at the end of those 25 years' contract. By that time, they will most likely demolish the two 3000x45 mt. 17/35 runways (which actually clash with the airspace of the New Airports north/south runways) and will leave only the 2600x60 mt. 05/23 runway for GA usage. Those 17/35 runways will probably disposed as soon as TK's base maintenance facility will be shifted to the New Airport (in 2,max. 3 years' time, from now onwards...).
A veteran Electronics & Communications Engineer from Istanbul-Turkey, highly interested in civil and military aviation.

lightsaber

Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:57 pm

LAXintl wrote:
lightsaber wrote:

Lightsaber

ISL and SAW are nearly 100km apart - virtually on opposite ends of the Istanbul metro area.

Hardly Montreal.

I updated to clarify if the current IST stays open. :spin:

Without some close in premium traffic, it would be another Mirabel. I believe ISL and SAW will coexist.

However, SAW gaining another runway will reduce O&D at ISL by some fraction. 100km means some fraction of the traffic is in competition.

Lightsaber

mafaky

Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:20 am

lightsaber wrote:
Without some close in premium traffic, it would be another Mirabel. I believe ISL and SAW will coexist.

However, SAW gaining another runway will reduce O&D at ISL by some fraction. 100km means some fraction of the traffic is in competition.

Lightsaber

Yes, indeed ISL & SAW will coexist.

However, SAW will not get its 2nd rwy in the very near future: I guess it will be operational only after18 months from now on (I sincerely wish I'm wrong and have made a too distant estimate!...). And then, the present rwy at SAW will undergo a very heavy maintenance, maybe partly a re-built. So another min. 6 months until SAW will have two operational runways. And for now, SAW is also lacking its second terminal, anyway.

stylo777

Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:55 am

mafaky wrote:
lightsaber wrote:

Lightsaber

Yes, indeed ISL & SAW will coexist.

However, SAW will not get its 2nd rwy in the very near future: I guess it will be operational only after18 months from now on (I sincerely wish I'm wrong and have made a too distant estimate!...). And then, the present rwy at SAW will undergo a very heavy maintenance, maybe partly a re-built. So another min. 6 months until SAW will have two operational runways. And for now, SAW is also lacking its second terminal, anyway.

...which is still way before some other runway/terminal projects in the world.
take LHR, LGW or BER as examples. kudos to SAW management if they are able to implement these within 3 years even...

andz

Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:55 pm

I have a ticket booked with TK, JNB-IST-HEL-IST-HRG departing on 31 March, HEL-IST-HRG scheduled for 5 April.

This morning I received an email that IST-HRG has been cancelled due to the move.

No mention of HEL-IST so I contacted my travel agent, TK had moved my booking from the 5th to the 2nd April with no notification.

Pretty rubbish service IMO.

The travel agent sent them a stinking email and I received another mail with 2 options HEL-IST-HRG at totally unrealistic times on the 4th/5th so now it is back to square one.
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

TK787
Topic Author

Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:29 pm

:( sucks.
At least us, a.nutters, knew about a possible move and expected some of this nonsense. Just imagine the tens of thousands of people still have no clue when the time comes.

aldrigsomandre

Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:29 am

https://www.ausbt.com.au/turkish-airlin ... ok-airport

New TK *A lounge in Bangkok. I'm flying through Bangkok in 2 weeks. Will post a review. Excited.

EChid

Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:14 pm

lightsaber wrote:
LAXintl wrote:
lightsaber wrote:

Lightsaber

Hardly Montreal.

I updated to clarify if the current IST stays open. :spin:

Lightsaber

IST will not stay open. There are already plans to convert it to something else I believe, and the government is very much pressuring the full conversion to ISL as this project reflects heavily upon them. I can't see this being another Mirabel. Mirabel was a victim of a lack of oversight (flying domestic flights into one airport and international ones out of another), a sudden economic shift in the local market (Montreal's separatism spurt hit its peak during that time and financial institutions and other businesses/people left en masse), and was almost perfectly timed to correlate with sufficient advancement in technology to not require the stopovers for long TATL service that had previously been expected for form a lot of its purpose. And while Montreal is a key hub for AC, it's not it's only hub - while for TK ISL essentially forms its only hub (yes, I know they have some service out of other airports - but not a lot).
2018: DRW-PER-HKG-ICN-MEL-AVV-BNE-OOL-SYD-YYZ-YYZ-YUL-YVR-PDX-SEA-SFO-PEK-KIX-CDG-IST-NRT-HND-BKK-FAT; AC J-TK J-OZ F-DL F-TG J/F-NH J/F-CX J-VA J

VanBosch

Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:39 pm

TK seem fairly confident of the April date, plastered all over their website and received an email today about it from them.

mafaky

Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:46 pm

VanBosch wrote:
TK seem fairly confident of the April date, plastered all over their website and received an email today about it from them.

Indeed, they look like... But what still worries me:

Tomorrow is 18th of March. 13 days left until the end of March. Put 4 days from April: 17 days -- less than 3 weeks.
FAA/TSA still haven't visited and sort of certified Istanbul Airport (from their point of view and their standards), so how will TK fly from this New Airport to various USA Destinations and vice versa? So far, no US Carriers are flying to Istanbul/Turkey. TK cannot fly to USA without granting FAA/TSA's approvals. And if there will be no approvals until say 4th of April 2019 TK cannot fly to USA and for this sole reason TK cannot make a full move out to Istanbul Airport.

TK will be obliged to stay at Ataturk AP, because the airspaces of the two airports actually do clash. Yes, if you have say 1.200 daily aircraft movements for the European side of Istanbul, they can manage safely say a 15-20% vs. 85-80% ratio by keeping both airports operational but definitely not on a 50% - 50% basis.

BOEING777EK

Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:44 pm

Any news about the International TK lounge at ISL?

mafaky

Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:50 pm

BOEING777EK wrote:
Any news about the International TK lounge at ISL?

They are in progress (there will be three of them, if I'm not mistaken... Not only one as in Ataturk AP. Passengers will be able to enter one or two of them, depending on their card status with TK and/or other Star Alliance airlines) and at least one will hopefully be ready by April 6th.

lightsaber

Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:26 pm

mafaky wrote:
VanBosch wrote:

Tomorrow is 18th of March. 13 days left until the end of March. Put 4 days from April: 17 days -- less than 3 weeks.
FAA/TSA still haven't visited and sort of certified Istanbul Airport (from their point of view and their standards), so how will TK fly from this New Airport to various USA Destinations and vice versa? So far, no US Carriers are flying to Istanbul/Turkey. TK cannot fly to USA without granting FAA/TSA's approvals. And if there will be no approvals until say 4th of April 2019 TK cannot fly to USA and for this sole reason TK cannot make a full move out to Istanbul Airport.

TK will be obliged to stay at Ataturk AP, because the airspaces of the two airports actually do clash. Yes, if you have say 1.200 daily aircraft movements for the European side of Istanbul, they can manage safely say a 15-20% vs. 85-80% ratio by keeping both airports operational but definitely not on a 50% - 50% basis.

To open on time, they should have done another dry run with thousands of students with full airport amenities going. Then after fixing issues, do the cert. Ohhh.. words and actions are not quite in alignment.

After so many short delays, I expect one more. Or a really interesting opening. Personally, I do not see an airport ready for all the airlines to move over.

Lightsaber

thekorean

Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:21 pm

lightsaber wrote:
mafaky wrote:
VanBosch wrote:

To open on time, they should have done another dry run with thousands of students with full airport amenities going. Then after fixing issues, do the cert. Ohhh.. words and actions are not quite in alignment.

After so many short delays, I expect one more. Or a really interesting opening. Personally, I do not see an airport ready for all the airlines to move over.

Lightsaber

Agreed. But considering planes are actually flying to the new airport now, they are still far ahead of BER.

lightsaber

Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:33 pm

thekorean wrote:
lightsaber wrote:
mafaky wrote:

Lightsaber

Agreed. But considering planes are actually flying to the new airport now, they are still far ahead of BER.

Far ahead of BER... Not much of a consultation prize. Oh, unlike BER, I expect an airport opening in 2019. I just think June and not April for ISL to do the big transfer. Or they could move early and make me once again regret the lack of a popcorn smile.

Lightsaber

peterinlisbon

Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:16 pm

I was there again last week (landing from London). It's really looking good now. TK has on their website that the move is on 6th April and I don't think it will be delayed further. There seem to be enough facilities, although some things (such as car rental offices) are not yet completed. The design and the scale of the place are really incredible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCibUOhE8pY

TK787
Topic Author

Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:46 am

Well, I was at IST few days ago, left gate 9:30am. We were #12 for take off, and it took over 50 minutes to finally take off :(

mafaky

Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:38 am

Well that "big movement" will surely take place on 5th & 6th, this time. BTW, don't call this date as "opening", since the facility has been already operational starting from beginning November 2018, despite to very flew flights being handled. But technically it has been "opened"... There seems to be no escape, what-so-ever, despite the lacking facilities at ISL. It's not only that the Terminal is finished, there are two ready runway sets (each with an emergency/backup rwy) and the ATC Tower is operational: but many other support facilities are either lacking or yet unfinished particularly for the airlines (and again in particular for THY). So the first 1-2 months will be extremely painful for all parties and possibly/regretfully for the passengers involved. Then will come the hot high summer season (June-July-August and September...) when the pain will still exist but hopefully at a declining rate!... Things will start getting on track only by the Winter Timetable Period.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos