Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

mafaky

Re: Istanbul new airport - latest pictures and discussion thread

Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:38 am

Well that "big movement" will surely take place on 5th & 6th, this time. BTW, don't call this date as "opening", since the facility has been already operational starting from beginning November 2018, despite to very flew flights being handled. But technically it has been "opened"... There seems to be no escape, what-so-ever, despite the lacking facilities at ISL. It's not only that the Terminal is finished, there are two ready runway sets (each with an emergency/backup rwy) and the ATC Tower is operational: but many other support facilities are either lacking or yet unfinished particularly for the airlines (and again in particular for THY). So the first 1-2 months will be extremely painful for all parties and possibly/regretfully for the passengers involved. Then will come the hot high summer season (June-July-August and September...) when the pain will still exist but hopefully at a declining rate!... Things will start getting on track only by the Winter Timetable Period.

mafaky

Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:14 pm

Today, IGA announced their fees for IGAPass program, as well as other greeting and leisure services within the Airport. Those who will be willing to pay a €59 (approx. USD 67) fee will be eligible to use the IGA Lounge on the International side (a 4000+ m2 facility, shower services, etc.).

Happy and comfy stays at Istanbul Airport Terminal!... :? :hyper:

georgiabill

Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:17 pm

Not to derail the thread, just curious as to when the 2nd terminal construction is to begin? When built will it be for other carriers so TK can have this terminal for their existing operations and future expansion? Has construction started on cargo facilities and TK maintenance facilities? Are they still planned to be open in 2 years?

mafaky

Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:33 am

georgiabill wrote:
Not to derail the thread, just curious as to when the 2nd terminal construction is to begin? When built will it be for other carriers so TK can have this terminal for their existing operations and future expansion? Has construction started on cargo facilities and TK maintenance facilities? Are they still planned to be open in 2 years?

1) It's a bit too early to prophesize as when the construction of the 2nd terminal will begin, and neither to make guesses about its size. I'm pretty much convinced that even IGA has not made up its own mind on this issue. The current terminal has been designed for 90 million pax/year but it should easily handle 100-110 million (maybe with a little bit of squeezing). It's pretty much obvious that this airports main customer will be TK, by large and TK's passenger profile will be transfer passengers, by large. So, IGA will not be willing to hurry up much for this second terminal: they will start on it whenever the present terminal passes the 80 million mark. Maybe we will get a brighter foresight by the beginning of 2020, on this issue.
2) AFAIK, the TK's big base MRO facility to be built on the opposite side of the current Terminal T-1 (in place of the now-cancelled Satellite Terminal) is still seen nowhere; even the earth flattening phase has not started. The first phase of TK's big cargo terminal (that is planned to handle 4 million tons cargo/year, when totally completed) probably has started in a slow pace.

They say by 2020 (or say by the beg. of 2021) all cargo operations will switch to the New AP, but one cannot forecast the same for that big MRO facility. Probably, only by 2022.

georgiabill

Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:10 pm

Thank you Mafaky for the information. I am impressed by how much was done in under 4 years. Certainly a well organised construction project.

aldrigsomandre

Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:05 pm

georgiabill wrote:
Thank you Mafaky for the information. I am impressed by how much was done in under 4 years. Certainly a well organised construction project.

Hahahaha, certainly NOT a well organised construction project.

airbazar

Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:22 pm

aldrigsomandre wrote:
georgiabill wrote:

BER disagrees 100% :)
Delays are always expected. You don't build a green project of this magnitude in 4 years if the project is not well organized. DOH took 9 years to open after a 5 year delay.

aldrigsomandre

Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:16 pm

airbazar wrote:
aldrigsomandre wrote:
georgiabill wrote:

Delays are always expected. You don't build a green project of this magnitude in 4 years if the project is not well organized. DOH took 9 years to open after a 5 year delay.

It's incomplete. They're just opening it for egotistical+political reasons.

TK787
Topic Author

Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:01 am

Here is a two day old video from kokpit.aero's Tolga Ozbek in Turkish:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... s-WSmOMeAk
45 min drive from Central Istanbul, he takes a tour of the 4000m2 IGA lounge, terminal and gate area.
He says TK lounge will open April 7th, fingers crossed.
Most transfer pax are used to these extra large terminals but get ready for walking a lot :)

airbazar

Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:59 pm

aldrigsomandre wrote:
airbazar wrote:
aldrigsomandre wrote:

It's incomplete. They're just opening it for egotistical+political reasons.

Yes, so much so that outside of airline forum's like this there's been almost zero publicity of it's soft opening and no opening celebrations :confused:
Would you rather they complete it and then have this happen?
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/h ... 01376.html
Was opening DEN with an unusable baggage system also for "egotistical+political reasons"? Just curious.
http://calleam.com/WTPF/?page_id=2086

VanBosch

Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:14 pm

Has anyone been there recently? All systems go for next week?

Delta28L

Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:51 pm

VanBosch wrote:
Has anyone been there recently? All systems go for next week?

So far it’s a go. Haven’t heard any reason why it won’t open with this date. I keep seeing TK advertising the move so it must be still on track

HeyTK

Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:39 pm

What is the worst that can happen, beside delays? What kind of horrible news can we expect to hear next week?

lightsaber

Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:49 pm

HeyTK wrote:
What is the worst that can happen, beside delays? What kind of horrible news can we expect to hear next week?

Worst that can happen? Read about the DEN baggage meltdown (link above a few posts), plumbing issues, delays, missed connections en mass, and in the era of social media, being the top story a few days in a row.

I'm excited about ISL's prospects. I am of the opinion the opening is rushed.

Plus the vendors haven't really had a shake down cruise. BKK opened with a lack of ladies rooms that pissed off a large quantity of Honeymooners. Are the facilities working for mass numbers of people?

Long term, ISL makes TK an imposing competitor to the ME3. In fact, due to the high O&D of Istanbul, I expect between TK, Pegusus, and ET that the connecting yield for a large region will be surpressed. ISL is well located for transfer traffic from Europe to most of Asia and Western Africa.

Lightsaber

mxaxai

Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:40 pm

HeyTK wrote:

Quoting Wikipedia on HKG:
Wikipedia wrote:
However, the airport had already started to experience some technical difficulties on the first day of opening. The flight information display system (FIDS) had suddenly shut down which caused long delays. Shortly afterwards, the cargo-communication link with Kai Tak, where all the necessary data was stored (some still stored there then), went down. During the same period of time, someone had accidentally deleted an important database for cargo services. This meant that cargo had to be manually stored. At one point, the airport had to turn away all air cargo and freight headed for and exported from Hong Kong (except food and medical supplies) while it sorted out the huge mess. HKIA simply could not keep up without an automated assistant-computer system.[13] For three to five months after its opening, it suffered various severe organisational, mechanical and technical problems that almost crippled the airport and its operations.

LAXintl

Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:20 pm

Details about TK lounges:

Lounge Business
Designed for an ideal trip, Turkish Airlines Lounge Business has an area of 5.600 m2 and seats 765 people. In order to create an experience like no other, we have partnered with Istanbul Modern and merged our passenger lounge with a 130 m2 museum, for your pleasure.
Entertainment and comfort intertwined at Turkish Airlines Lounge Business! Before your flight, relax in private suites and take a refreshing shower. Rest in the lounge on comfortable couches and savor delicious, exclusive treats from Turkish and international cuisine. Time will fly with the console gaming experience and large children’s play area.

Lounge Miles&Smiles
Turkish Airlines Lounge Miles&Smiles, has an area of 5.600 m2 and can seat up to 765 people. Prepare to feel refreshed at our passenger lounge that houses 12 suites with 12 showers. Until your flight, sit back and relax on comfortable couches and enjoy the delicious treats of Turkish and world cuisines we have prepared especially for you.
You are in the right place for a good time. At the Turkish Airlines Lounge Miles&Smiles you can find a cinema, console gaming experience and spacious children’s playground where the fun never ends. If you wish to use your time carefully, then you can make the most of our meeting rooms and the library.

Lounge Domestic
Make yourself comfortable in spaces designed to let you have a great time before your flight and taste our delicious treats. Enjoy traveling with Turkish Airlines privileges all the time.
Our selection of console games are the perfect choice to have some fun! Lots of entertainment is guaranteed for your children at our playground designed exclusively for them. If you wish to spend your time for working instead of entertainment, our meeting rooms are at your service.
Lounge Domestic, is accessible through a special entrance gate located outside terminal, you can complete check-in procedures and transfer directly to your aircraft on apron buses.

=

Cathay777300ER

Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:24 pm

So with the move happening tomorrow and Saturday are there any updates around it?

HeyTK

Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:55 pm

Its sad to see stories and posts on instagram from TK Crew operating their last flights and saying goodbye to Ataturk Airport. Its a bittersweet ending.

Delta28L

Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:33 pm

Cathay777300ER wrote:
So with the move happening tomorrow and Saturday are there any updates around it?

It’s still on track. Getting everything packed up to be moved

lightsaber

Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:35 pm

Move is on:
https://www.bing.com/amp/s/mobile.reute ... SKCN1RG0GP

Old airport closes at 02:00 local on 4/6 per above link.

I'm very curious how smoothly the move goes. I consider this move risky.

I happen to agree this will become a major airport.
1. Early growth enabled by not having crossed runways. But soon will need more runways.
2. If the runway and terminal is built up fast enough, Turkish and Pegasus will boost RASM if they can bank hub waves better.

I do not believe the impact on the ME3 will be small. ISL just too convenient for EU feed. Connections to SE Asia and West Africa will do extremely well. I know we can basically ignore India due to Turkey supporting Pakistan. However, I believe growth in West Africa, Malaysia, Indonesia, Thailand, Vietnam, and to a lesser extent Burma and Cambodia provide enough opportunity for ISL based airlines. Plus, they should pick up other regional traffic I might have overlooked.

Lightsaber

HeyTK

Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:38 pm

Ilker Ayci: We have achieved 25 percent of total relocation so far. Now only the major part remains. " he said.

http://www.kokpit.aero/tasinmanin-yuzde-25i-tamam

stylo777

Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:36 pm

must be quite a sight to follow all the hundreds of aircraft relocating to the new airport over the next two days...
wishing everyone on the ground and in the air ALL THE BEST for the big-bang move... very historical moments!

Cathay777300ER

Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:04 pm

If the old airport closes at 2 am will all the Asian flights that arrive around 3-6 am go to the New airport

Cathay777300ER

Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:06 pm

Also anyone know the last flight to leave old IST.

Currently a 77W is being moved

HeyTK

Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:15 pm

Cathay777300ER wrote:
Also anyone know the last flight to leave old IST.

Currently a 77W is being moved

The last flight is TK54 to Singapore.

LAXintl

Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:47 pm

stylo777 wrote:
must be quite a sight to follow all the hundreds of aircraft relocating to the new airport over the next two days...
wishing everyone on the ground and in the air ALL THE BEST for the big-bang move... very historical moments!

Very few aircraft will be moved. The way the schedules are built they depart from Ataturk but return to IGA from their scheduled routes.

HeyTK

Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:54 pm

This is what Bilal Eksi just posted. He is saying that the plane transmission is starting this night. I dont really get the table but someone else might get more out of it.

peterinlisbon

Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:13 pm

This table appears to show the number of departures on each day of April (4, 5 and 6th) at different times during the day. The numbers at the bottom are the times in the 24 hour clock, the black ones are on the 5th April and the red ones are on the 6th. I think these are all flights from Ataturk to the new airport.

So basically the first flight was today 8pm on the 4th and then it continues all day on the 5th and should be finished by the morning of the 6th at 9am.

stylo777

Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:14 pm

The table is showing the amount of transfer movements throughout the day on an hourly basis over the next three days. If I didn't sum it up wrong, a total of 142 movements are planned according to this plan. This comes close to half of the entire fleet, so hardly only few, LAXIntl ;)

If you deduct the planes based at other airports (SAW, AYT,...) and the entire MAX8 fleet which is already at the new airport, the "old-out-new-in" rotations are still considerable though, you are right. Just wondering how much the total bill will be only for 1-3 days parking fees at outstations.

HeyTK

Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:22 pm

Ah now it makes sense!
TC-JJI and TC-JJJ are sent to SAW for some reason..?

Sam Chui was at IST to say good bye. I cant wait for his new video!

peterinlisbon

Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:25 pm

If you look at the Turkish airlines website you will see this message:

"The Great Move is Beginning!
All scheduled flights at Ataturk Airport will end on April 6, 2019 at 02:00, and any previously planned flights will continue from 14:00 onwards from Istanbul Airport on the same day."

Today (5th) is the last day of operations at Ataturk, with the last flight leaving just after midnight to Singapore at 2am). Tomorrow there will be no flights in the morning, but from 2pm flights will continue from the new AP. This is for Turkish Airlines.

I think foreign carriers have mostly just suspended operations to Istanbul on the 6th completely and will continue again from the 7th. Although some (like MEA for example) are using Sabiha Gockcen airport on the 6th.

I actually flew into Ataturk a couple of days ago on MEA and there were already hundreds of cardboard boxes piled up next to the baggage carousels and the Starbucks in arrivals had already closed and they had put everything onto pallets. I'll go back there tomorrow and see how things look, probably in the evening, and take a video of Ataturk airport on its last day. I'm pretty curious to see them packing up a whole airport, especially such a busy one.

peterinlisbon

Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:35 pm

From London to Istanbul on the 5th TK has a bunch of widebodies - 2 A330s and 2 777's, with sky-high prices (£805 one-way). Even the Gatwick flight is an A330.

thekorean

Re: Istanbul New Airport, Latest Pictures

Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:49 pm

VirginFlyer wrote:
r2rho wrote:
Current IST will be closed. All pax/cargo traffic will move to the new airport once it is fully operational. I do not know of a concrete plan for the current IST, probably will be developed into a business/convention center.

IST is a massive metropolitan area. Even without the transfer traffic, there is huge O&D and growth potential. IGA will be far away. IMO IST should be maintained, albeit in a reduced version, perhaps à la LCY for high yield traffic. I am not a fan of split airports, but there are metropolitan areas (Paris, London, Istambul, Moscow, etc...) that are large enough to support and require them.

Istanbul will still have Sabiha Gökçen airport to the south east, which is further from the centre of the city than Ataturk, but closer than the new airport.

V/F

Which, if i am not mistaken, is building a second runway.

J2flyer

Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:40 pm

Will there be a live stream of the big move by any chance? Would be interesting to see it.

HeyTK

Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:51 pm

J2flyer wrote:
Will there be a live stream of the big move by any chance? Would be interesting to see it.

Not sure but they are filming every second for a discovery channel documentary.

dozerman

Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:06 am

They started ferrying some widebodies to the new airport.

Delta28L

Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:47 am

Going to miss all the good pics of activity from the current airport when the new airport finally opens

stylo777

Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:26 am

the first 4x 77W and 1x 333 arrived at ISL

peterinlisbon

Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:56 am

I saw another one on Flight Tracker just now, a 738. TK2396. It took off, turned 30 degrees left and then right again to intercept the runway. In the air less than 5 minutes, levelling at 2800ft.

VanBosch

Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:45 pm

4 or 5 about to take off now with no destination. 3 A321, 332, 738

aldrigsomandre

Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:45 pm

VanBosch wrote:
4 or 5 about to take off now with no destination. 3 A321, 332, 738

All headed towards the new IST.

DABYT

Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:56 pm

LAXintl wrote:
stylo777 wrote:

Very few aircraft will be moved. The way the schedules are built they depart from Ataturk but return to IGA from their scheduled routes.

Germany’s aero.de reports that 151 TK aircraft will be flown directly from Atatürk to the new airport.

VanBosch

Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:23 pm

Constant flights in the last few hours positioning to the new airport.

stylo777

Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:36 pm

Another "historical" moment: Onurair also repositioned their first aircraft (TC-OBK, an 321) marking it the first carrier landing at the new airport besides TK.

Current aircraft count at ISL: 47x TK and 1x 8Q.

stylo777

Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:40 pm

Most of the last narrowbody landings came from a previous flight with just under one hour on ground at IST. Wondering if those crews take the aircraft after landing in IST to the new airport and finish their duties there?

Delta28L

Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:43 pm

Watched three planes head over to the new airport

jsfr

Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:56 pm

Been watching on FR24, its amazing, hypnotic, one after another after another.... In the last 20 minutes I must have seen over 10 flights, each up to 3000ft, each takes 7 minutes - 737's A321's an A330... Just is well the wind isn't blowing from the south!

What are they doing with their 737Max's? Are they parked at Ataturk?

lightsaber

Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:06 pm

When does the first flight that departed from IST land at ISL? Or did I miss it?

I'd be very interested to see the ramp up in ISL departures.

I know I was a skeptical, I hope to be proven wrong. :)

Lightsaber

lightsaber

Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:11 pm

DABYT wrote:
LAXintl wrote:
stylo777 wrote:

Germany’s aero.de reports that 151 TK aircraft will be flown directly from Atatürk to the new airport.

From Wikipedia, 339 aircraft. So slightly more than half will fly out from the old airport and return to the new.

As I asked before, has this happened? What is the departure rate looking like at the new airport?

Having a better terminal and taxiway arrangement will pay off quickly. As well as parallel runways (About a third more capacity despite still having 2 runways).

Lightsaber

dozerman

Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:16 pm

jsfr wrote:
What are they doing with their 737Max's? Are they parked at Ataturk?

The entire MAX fleet was already ferried to the new airport after the grounding.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos