Solidus

Re: Istanbul new airport - latest pictures and discussion thread

Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:02 am

TK787 wrote:
Bilal Eksi of TK on twitter says, this Friday; TK will fly 895 flights out of IST, almost to full capacity.

What was the full capacity of old airport?

TK787
Topic Author

Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:59 pm

Solidus wrote:
TK787 wrote:
Bilal Eksi of TK on twitter says, this Friday; TK will fly 895 flights out of IST, almost to full capacity.

IIRC, Ataturk handled around 1500 flights and over 230,000 pax a day (including transfer pax) at its peak days. Again, that is only for a special day, like holiday and such.

Solidus

Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:52 pm

TK787 wrote:
Solidus wrote:
TK787 wrote:

IIRC, Ataturk handled around 1500 flights and over 230,000 pax a day (including transfer pax) at its peak days. Again, that is only for a special day, like holiday and such.

Understand the point. Can we compare rate before move (before they cancelled flights to reduce load) , for example end of March with current rate?

pune

Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:29 pm

peterinlisbon wrote:
Here's the new airport on the first day of operations (06 April):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nf6TzCJ96Pk

And here's Ataturk airport on the last day (05 April):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEx0FcbiAJw&t=7s

Could somebody share what the lady was talking about in the first video and the second video. I couldn't get any subtitles of both :(

Are there going to be any Airbus A380 takeoffs and landings as well in the Airport. I am guessing there would be.

musman9853

Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:52 pm

what's gonna happen to ataturk? is it being demolished?
Welcome to the City Beautiful.

aldrigsomandre

Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:56 pm

musman9853 wrote:

It'll become a park, supposedly. For the time being, the taxpayers are responsible for covering the loss that will be incurred by the early pre-2021 closure of it.

TK787
Topic Author

Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:59 pm

Solidus wrote:
TK787 wrote:
Solidus wrote:

Understand the point. Can we compare rate before move (before they cancelled flights to reduce load) , for example end of March with current rate?

Average daily flights were around 1100 beginning of 2019.

Solidus

Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:02 pm

TK787 wrote:
Solidus wrote:
TK787 wrote:

Then 895 it is very nice rate considering the fact that some not important destinations were cut or reduced frequency for transition period.

aldrigsomandre

Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:03 pm

Solidus wrote:
TK787 wrote:
Solidus wrote:

Then 895 it is very nice rate considering the fact that some not important destinations were cut or reduced frequency for transition period.

Which are those "not important destinations"?

Solidus

Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:25 pm

aldrigsomandre wrote:
Solidus wrote:
TK787 wrote:

Any destinations, which are not covered by Regulation (EC) No 261/2004 for claim for flight cancellation, up to 600EUR or similar in North America. For example CIS / Russia / some African countries where passengers are not well protected in case of cancellations or delays, they could easy be "sacrificed" without big consequences.

N14AZ

Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:26 pm

TK787 wrote:

Good to know. I will fly HAN - IST -HAJ this Friday. Hope everything works fine and I am curious about the new TK-lounge.

But what a pity- it was always so nice to see these BEA A300‘s at the old airport. I will miss them.

Solidus

Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:27 pm

I think you understand that a lot of people booked tickets, when it was not clear of movement happen on these dates. They were offered to reschedule / rebook flights.

Solidus

Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:37 pm

aldrigsomandre wrote:
Solidus wrote:
TK787 wrote:

Example. TSE - 5 days no flights from 3-rd until today.

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/tk354

4 days

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/kc918

You can find more examples if you will make comparison.

Solidus

Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:40 pm

I kindly apologize to everyone who lives or related to countries I mentioned, this is pure economical wise opinion.

Solidus

Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:44 pm

If we count one by one these destinations we get numbers close to 1000-1100 flights rate former IST had before.

Solidus

Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:55 pm

aldrigsomandre wrote:
Solidus wrote:
TK787 wrote:

I tried to search for You. Translate with Google

http://www.travel.ru/news/2019/04/06/262173.html

The reduced work of the new airport will last at least several days. Among other things, significantly reduced flights of Turkish Airlines to Russia. In the Moscow direction, where the company usually makes 5 flights a day, only one flight is scheduled for April 6, 7 and 9, and on the narrow-bodied Airbus A321. April 8, two flights are scheduled, April 10, three, from April 11 - four, and from April 29 flights will again be five.

Turkish Airlines flights to St. Petersburg and Kazan were canceled from April 6 to April 8, to Sochi from April 6 to 9, to Rostov-on-Don and Krasnodar from April 6 to 10, to Ufa and Voronezh from April 6 to 11 , to Samara - from 6 to 14 April, to Yekaterinburg - from 3 to 12 April. Then flights will resume as usual (most of these lines are operated daily by the company).

Rebooking tickets available for these flights for the next available days led to the fact that tickets for neighboring dates may not be available at all or they are available only in business class or at expensive economy class fares. However, passengers affected by these cancellations from both Turkish Airlines and other carriers have the opportunity to move the trip on different dates for free. In addition, you can return the ticket without fines.

Aeroflot currently expects to fly to Istanbul’s new airport as usual five times a day from April 7 (the first flight will depart from Moscow on the evening of April 6). Also, the standard frequency of flights to Istanbul is planned for April 7 by most other foreign carriers.

I think similar situation with other countries in region.I already posted one example above.

Finn350

Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:25 pm

I suppose this is the largest ever airport relocation?

TK787
Topic Author

Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:49 pm

And do not forget the 12 x 737MAXs sitting on tarmac :(

HeyTK

Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:32 pm

The 787 Dreamliner should enter construction any day now right?

YouGeeElWhy

Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:59 pm

https://onemileatatime.com/istanbul-airport/

All that being said, I don’t think building the world’s largest terminal was a good idea, especially without any easy way for people to get around the terminal.
If you’re connecting between nearby gates or are originating in Istanbul this isn’t a huge issue (since those originating in Istanbul are let out in the middle of the terminal), but if you’re connecting from one end of the terminal to the other, this is one of the most poorly designed airports I’ve ever seen.
Anyone else think this is a problem or is Lucky overacting?

aldrigsomandre

Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:05 pm

YouGeeElWhy wrote:

All that being said, I don’t think building the world’s largest terminal was a good idea, especially without any easy way for people to get around the terminal.
If you’re connecting between nearby gates or are originating in Istanbul this isn’t a huge issue (since those originating in Istanbul are let out in the middle of the terminal), but if you’re connecting from one end of the terminal to the other, this is one of the most poorly designed airports I’ve ever seen.

It took me 25 minutes to walk from the first gate to the last gate and I am a fast walker. Think of the elderly or families with children..

dozerman

Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:20 pm

Solidus wrote:
aldrigsomandre wrote:
Solidus wrote:

Any destinations, which are not covered by Regulation (EC) No 261/2004 for claim for flight cancellation, up to 600EUR or similar in North America. For example CIS / Russia / some African countries where passengers are not well protected in case of cancellations or delays, they could easy be "sacrificed" without big consequences.

Turkey has a copy of EU261/2004 in their laws. So those rules apply for all TK flights: http://web.shgm.gov.tr/doc4/shy-passenger.pdf
But regardless, those claims are only paid when the cancellation happens less than two weeks before departure. I imagine they cancelled the flights before that. They still have to offer free refunds or rebooking to/from another airport or another date. So I guess they kept the more profitable routes.
Last edited by dozerman on Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HeyTK

Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:21 pm

Does anyone know why the taxing takes so much time? Is it because the runway is further away from the gates or are the roads not finished yet?

LAXintl

Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:36 pm

YouGeeElWhy wrote:

I think he is over-reacting as he overlooks fact that TK will not operate from all 5 piers - instead of focusing on 3 primarily, and he decided to walk between two of the most distant ones. Also, the airport has/or will soon have a shuttle bus that runs on a loop between piers also that will aid with connections if you dont care to walk.

HeyTK wrote:
Does anyone know why the taxing takes so much time? Is it because the runway is further away from the gates or are the roads not finished yet?

Yes distances on the ground are much longer also. The airport property itself is over 6,000 hectares on a 7,600 hectares land area. Ataturk was barely 1,200 hectares!

Look at large airports - AMS, DEN, ORD, etc how taxi time can be quite long from the distant runway(s) to the terminal.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

Dreamflight767

Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:45 pm

HeyTK wrote:

Funny you asked that. I was looking at Google Earth a few days ago and was shocked to see the airport layout. I know there is room for up to 6 RWYs, but for the current layout, the RWYs are on the far E side of the airport with the terminal in the SW. Not to mention, it appears that you have to cross other active RWYs to get back and forth.

Solidus

Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:04 pm

dozerman wrote:
Solidus wrote:
aldrigsomandre wrote:

Turkey has a copy of EU261/2004 in their laws. So those rules apply for all TK flights: http://web.shgm.gov.tr/doc4/shy-passenger.pdf
But regardless, those claims are only paid when the cancellation happens less than two weeks before departure. I imagine they cancelled the flights before that. They still have to offer free refunds or rebooking to/from another airport or another date. So I guess they kept the more profitable routes.

Indeed, rebooks were offered and performed in case of TK. But I hundred percent agree they kept more profitable routes with higher load factors. I do not know how situation was handled by other airlines. Found one example:

https://airastana.com/kaz/en-us/About-U ... ew-airport

Seems to be comparing to Russian airlines, KC only asked passengers to arrive on hour earlier to airport, there were no cancellations. Unfortunately for other countries in this region it is hard to dig for info due news coverage in English language is bad.

musman9853

Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:15 pm

aldrigsomandre wrote:
musman9853 wrote:

It'll become a park, supposedly. For the time being, the taxpayers are responsible for covering the loss that will be incurred by the early pre-2021 closure of it.

thanks!
Welcome to the City Beautiful.

Finn350

Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:35 pm

aldrigsomandre wrote:
YouGeeElWhy wrote:

It took me 25 minutes to walk from the first gate to the last gate and I am a fast walker. Think of the elderly or families with children..

Is it more than 2 kilometers walking from the first gate to the last gate, as a fast walker easily walks 2 kilometers in 25 minutes?

HeyTK

Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:22 am

Why is TC-JIM still at Ataturk and has not flown in over 3 weeks?

EK413

Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:42 am

aldrigsomandre wrote:
YouGeeElWhy wrote:

Just thought I’ll share

Kinda puts it into perspective the distance between the furthest gates.

EK413
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!

ramzi

Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:23 am

Landed at the new airport for the first time yesterday. Pretty long taxi time, around 20mins, but mostly spent waiting for other planes to taxi in front of us. Landings and take-offs didn't seem to even pause for a second while we were holding. It was strange landing in what is essentially a construction site, but the scale is truly impressive, including that of the terminal. Lots of walking indeed, and sadly the bathrooms are already dirty, although passport control was very smooth and staff were very helpful.
There will come a time when you believe everything is finished - that will be the beginning.

scbriml

Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:42 am

Dreamflight767 wrote:
HeyTK wrote:

Funny you asked that. I was looking at Google Earth a few days ago and was shocked to see the airport layout. I know there is room for up to 6 RWYs, but for the current layout, the RWYs are on the far E side of the airport with the terminal in the SW. Not to mention, it appears that you have to cross other active RWYs to get back and forth.

I think your compass might need servicing! :spin:

The runways are to the West and the terminal is in the SE corner.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

Dufo

Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:39 am

Any pictures of current situation at Ataturk?
I seriously think I just creamed my pants without any influence from any outside variables.

mafaky

Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:39 am

Also, the airport has/or will soon have a shuttle bus that runs on a loop between piers also that will aid with connections if you don't care to walk.
That, regretfully, will be a wishful thinking. Walking/trotting is good for your health for sure and for the handicapped/elderly people there are those Golfcars around (I'm not sure if they will also charge for these cars if the really needing people use these...)
A veteran Electronics & Communications Engineer from Istanbul-Turkey, highly interested in civil and military aviation.

dozerman

Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:07 am

Dufo wrote:

There's this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8FjW6C49J0

gunsontheroof

Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:49 am

dozerman wrote:
Dufo wrote:

There's this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8FjW6C49J0

Thanks for sharing! Watching traffic coming in over the Golden Horn when I was in Istanbul is one of my favorite spotting memories... certainly not short on variety.
Picked a hell of a week to quit sniffing glue.

lightsaber

Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:02 pm

What is traffic today? (How many flights?).
How is service? E.g., are connections opperating normally?

To those complaining about terminal size, it is needed. Golf carts and travelators enable connections.

What I want to know is how much the ongoing work impacted the customer experience. Are the restaurants opperating? Restrooms functioning well enough? Are all open (or at least all restaurants planned to be opened with sufficient functioning stalls).

Does baggage claim work efficiently enough? Ground travel? This is the test.

Lightsaber
IM messages to mods on warnings and bans will be ignored and nasty ones will result in a ban.

Dreamflight767

Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:43 pm

scbriml wrote:
Dreamflight767 wrote:
HeyTK wrote:

I think your compass might need servicing! :spin:

The runways are to the West and the terminal is in the SE corner.

LOL...to that you are correct. Thank you for catching that.

mxaxai

Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:18 pm

LAXintl wrote:
Yes distances on the ground are much longer also. The airport property itself is over 6,000 hectares on a 7,600 hectares land area. Ataturk was barely 1,200 hectares!

Indeed! A recently published ESA satellite photo of Istanbul surprised me just how large the airport and especially the terminal are. It's easily the most distinguishable feature of the whole image. The new terminal is actually wider than the Bosporus!
https://www.esa.int/spaceinimages/Image ... ait_Turkey

Finn350

Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:21 pm

In the original plan, there were two parallel runways and 8 parallel taxiways, or something to that effect in the first phase. It seems that they have built two pairs of parallel runways, those in each pair very near each other, and less taxiways in the current implementation. What is the logic behind this change?

HeyTK

Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:30 pm

A TK 737 (also flies the Max) Pilot made some statements regarding the move and the new airport so you guys might find it informative. Unfortunately its only in Turkish.

In a short summary he says that he felt excited about this change in his job. He explains that the move was inevitable and that the traffic at Atatürk was too chaotic, especially when he first left Pegasus and joined TK. He explains that it caused a chronic delay in 10+ minutes for all flights which not only affected the connecting passengers but also the extra fuel needed for the planes and Pilots working over hours. He also added that the current flight operations were going well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o10v37IzQQM

Solidus

Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:49 pm

TK787 wrote:

TK787,

Do you have stats for 11.04.2019?

dozerman

Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:52 pm

Finn350 wrote:
In the original plan, there were two parallel runways and 8 parallel taxiways, or something to that effect in the first phase. It seems that they have built two pairs of parallel runways, those in each pair very near each other, and less taxiways in the current implementation. What is the logic behind this change?

I think they are using two taxiways as additional/emergency runways. 17L/35R and 16R/34L are the actual runways, they are 60m wide, the other two are 45m wide. See this post: viewtopic.php?t=1379061&start=50#p20075849

Finn350

Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:56 pm

dozerman wrote:
Finn350 wrote:

I think they are using two taxiways as additional/emergency runways. 17L/35R and 16R/34L are the actual runways, they are 60m wide, the other two are 45m wide. See this post: viewtopic.php?t=1379061&start=50#p20075849

Ok, the concept of emergency runways next to main runways was new to me.

TK787
Topic Author

Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:35 am

Solidus wrote:
TK787 wrote:

TK787,

Do you have stats for 11.04.2019?

No, I was getting the numbers from twitter feed of Bilal Eksi of TK.
https://twitter.com/BilalEksiTHY

Cunard

Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:19 am

Finn350 wrote:
dozerman wrote:
Finn350 wrote:

Ok, the concept of emergency runways next to main runways was new to me.

The concept isn't new as London Gatwick Airport also has an emergency runway next to the main runway that is also a pararel taxiway although they are not used simultaneously as runways.
94 Countries, 327 Destinations Worldwide, 32 Airlines, 29 Aircraft Types, 182 Airports, 335 Flights.

Speedalive

Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:47 am

dozerman wrote:
Finn350 wrote:

I think they are using two taxiways as additional/emergency runways. 17L/35R and 16R/34L are the actual runways, they are 60m wide, the other two are 45m wide. See this post: https://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtop ... #p20075849

Doesn't appear to be the case, although they are not to be used for landing unless permitted by ATC. Check out the runway operations section.

Compared to Gatwick..

AsoRock

Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:21 am

Did anyone notice the consistent 1-hour delays affecting most departing flights from the new airport ? This is according to FR24, unless the lack of proper coverage at the new airport is erroneously suggesting flight delays ? Could the long taxiing times and teething problems be causing these delays ?

THY748i

Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:38 am

AsoRock wrote:
Did anyone notice the consistent 1-hour delays affecting most departing flights from the new airport ? This is according to FR24, unless the lack of proper coverage at the new airport is erroneously suggesting flight delays ? Could the long taxiing times and teething problems be causing these delays ?

It‘s probably due to longer taxiing times as southern winds have been prevailing the last few days, so the planes must go all the way up the taxiway for takeoff (take a look on Google Maps, the terminal building is on the SE edge of the airport). On the other hand, getting to the terminal after landing will obviously be faster in this kind of situation. I don‘t know if it‘s also due to teething problems and how and how much time taxiing is supposed to take.

Solidus

Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:57 am

Are there any major teething problems?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos