LAXintl

Re: Istanbul new airport - latest pictures and discussion thread

Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:41 pm

Here is published aerodrome chart.

From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

codc10

Re: New Istanbul Airport: "Disturbing secrets" revealed

Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:43 pm

None of this is terribly surprising. The pace with which this construction proceeded was off the charts, and even considering the low cost of labor in Turkey (as compared to other developed nations), this was unusual.

Shame about the workers and their families, in this day and age so many construction accidents are completely avoidable.

MWAAdude

Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:38 pm

Revelation wrote:
MWAAdude wrote:
leftyboarder wrote:
While I agree that environmental protection laws are slightly less enforced in Turkey (in writing they are in fact pretty harsh and there was a time many projects were stalled because of them), it is an illusion that infrastructure development takes place slower in the West due to environmental laws. It is NIMBYs that slow projects down in the West, not environmental protection agencies.

You are taking too narrow an interpretation of "Environmental Protection Laws." In the US, these laws not only provide NIMBYs with many avenues with which to challenge or appeal decisions the government has made, but they also explicitly protect certain populations of people, particularly Title VI populations. All of this is referred to as "Environmental Impact" regardless of if it has to do with the cutting of trees or impacts to some obscure species of micro-shrimp. Take a look at an EIS or EIR or EA for a large infrastructure project and you'll see that the engineering consultants who wrote the report are required to evaluate the number of jobs the project creates, the impact on the local economy, the impact on the local micro-shrimp populations, GHGs, etc. Environmental Impact, and the entire process that is required, even with no NIMBY pushback, can add years to the preliminary engineering process, especially on projects with interagency review, where every stakeholder agency has something to opine about.

As a child of the 60s I grew up a block away from what is now a Superfund site that was cleaned up by the EPA that so many people bitch about.
The corporation that made the mess just washed their hands of it.
I'd suggest that EPA and environmental laws have saved a lot more lives than most people can comprehend.
Guess who gets called in to figure out what kind of nasty stuff was in the pools of liquids at the basement of the Twin Towers after 9/11?
I'm glad we do Environmental Impact studies of major projects rather than mindlessly pave over the last micro-shrimp habitat on our way to creating more Superfund sites.
I realize there is a lot of bureaucratic overhead, but that's the thing to focus on, rather than the existence of the Environmental Impact Study and the EPA itself.
The problem is you can't really show you're not paving over the home of the micro-shrimp without doing the required studies.

As somebody who has written thousands of pages of these reports for many different projects over the course of my life, I wholeheartedly agree. Back when I was an engineering consultant, I frequently rolled my eyes at the red tape involved in many of these projects, the ways that NIMBYs would pervert the intent of these regulations to suit their needs, and even the tricks used by my managers to extend our contracts and prolong our funding streams from both public and private clients working on these projects. I would try to think back to the battle in my neighborhood as a kid, where black residents were forcefully evicted and given little or no compensation whatsoever, to build a highway, and remember why we have these laws now, and who they are intended to serve. I think most people just assume it's trees or GHGs that are evaluated in these reports, but in reality, it's much much more than that. I maintain it is not the scope of what is considered for impact, but how it is considered and who has the agency to raise objections to the evaluation and its methods that matters.

Clipper101

Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:43 am

I can not see New IST on FR24 yet, anybody knows when it is going to be added or is it too early to raise this question?

Sorry if it was mentioned before.
Last edited by Clipper101 on Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

aldrigsomandre

Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:45 am

Clipper101 wrote:
I can not see New IST on FR24 yet, anybody knows when it is going to be added or is it too early?

You have to search it as ISL.

Clipper101

Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:48 am

aldrigsomandre wrote:
Clipper101 wrote:
I can not see New IST on FR24 yet, anybody knows when it is going to be added or is it too early?

ISL is there in the list of airports, but there is no blue pin pointer to show the airport & its upcoming traffic movements !

Lufthansa

Re: New Istanbul Airport: "Disturbing secrets" revealed

Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:32 am

DominikR83 wrote:
The short construction period was only possible because the government just ignored all concerns regarding environmental damages,eplyee safety and anything else.
In modern,democratic countries all these concerns would have been checked and discussed and either the airport would never have been built or it would have taken twice or three times the time.

I wouldn't go too hard on turkey. Yes safety should come first. But sometimes the red tap gets to the insane part... I've worked for property developers and experienced it first hand. Like going to court to certify 1.5 Metres of piping, or 5 months delay because somebody wanted in impact study on a bus stop. Building sites around the world are dangerous places, but some people, both staff and management become complacent. Before you come down too hard on the turks you may want to get the full story, as there may have been a disregard for procedures and then management didn't enforce them. We have all seen the famous pictures of the Empire State Building under construction and people casually sitting on steel beams hundreds of metres above the ground with nothing to stop them falling to their death. And plenty did.

I've personally seen just in the construction of tilt slab buildings safety procedures ignored by subcontractors just wanting to get the job done faster. One wrong move and there's not much hope of them surviving. Then think of safety on the ramp? We have seen ground staff in first world countries, including the US, not follow procedure and a few times we have seen people sucked into jet engines. I'm not saying the turks are guilt free, but with thousands of people rushing to get this done.... there's a chance some people got slack with safety.

DominikR83

Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:46 pm

I`m not specifically talking about emplyee saftey,it is more then environmental and people thing.
If any infrastructural project would cause damage to the environment,to animals or if people have to me "removed" to get the space to built the airport/stadium/bridge or whatsoever then in modern democratic countries this would take months and years cause different organizations would fight against it and different courts had to check on it and come to a final decision.
But all this stuff doesn`t need to be done in Turkey.Mr. Erdogan just has all the power and either his underlings at the court decide in his mind or he just ignores the decision of the court.
Look what he has done with his presidential domicile.It was built although it was prohibited by the court.He just didn`t care.

MeCe

Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:27 pm

I would like to say money comes first everywhere, every time. It is just how much money involved. In "modern" countries you have talk very big chunk of money for breaking or avoiding rules rest of world much less.

Regarding new airport; it is not a great problem alone. Main problem is they are trying a new city northern part of istanbul that will be problem. My only concern about this airport is; sitting in the middle of bird migration route. We will see how the operations impacted.

flyingclrs727

Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:32 pm

DominikR83 wrote:
I`m not specifically talking about emplyee saftey,it is more then environmental and people thing.
If any infrastructural project would cause damage to the environment,to animals or if people have to me "removed" to get the space to built the airport/stadium/bridge or whatsoever then in modern democratic countries this would take months and years cause different organizations would fight against it and different courts had to check on it and come to a final decision.
But all this stuff doesn`t need to be done in Turkey.Mr. Erdogan just has all the power and either his underlings at the court decide in his mind or he just ignores the decision of the court.
Look what he has done with his presidential domicile.It was built although it was prohibited by the court.He just didn`t care.

Well considering the new airport has been built on the site of abandoned coal mines, what about the positive environmental effects of rehabilitating a brown site rather than building on a green site? There wasn't any space to expand the exiting Attaturk airport. Once the new airport is fully operational, the old airport will be shut down and converted into a park. What is the environmental impact of that?

Flightsimboy

Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:53 am

Clipper101 wrote:
aldrigsomandre wrote:
Clipper101 wrote:

ISL is there in the list of airports, but there is no blue pin pointer to show the airport & its upcoming traffic movements !

It is there now. Interestingly some arrivals are showin as "Diverted to IST" for as far as later in the day tomorrow.

https://www.flightradar24.com/airport/isl/arrivals
LAX772LR - "Answer to goofy question:" in response to my question about the B737-MAX8 being grounded. 48 hours later all B737-MAX8 grounded worldwide. Go figure!!

EK413

Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:37 am

Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!

chunhimlai

Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:38 am

Aerodrome Map and other details available in EU AIS (Register required, free of charge)

hz747300

Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:46 am

The picture of the A330 landing it looks just like a US Coast Guard boat in the background.

The place looks awesome, and it could not be more needed with so many recent ground collisions at IST. Always nice to see new airports and terminals open.
Keep on truckin'...

mercure1

Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:18 pm

Congratulations to the people of Turkey.

May the airport prove to be a big success
mercure f-wtcc

AleksW

Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:27 pm

What airport charts? :)
These girls are very beautiful.

peterinlisbon

Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:55 pm

I went to visit the new airport today by car. Parts of it (like the car parks) are still under construction and a lot of places like ticket offices, cafes and shops etc are still being fitted out. I was able to walk around inside though and the check-in area looks a lot like a giant version of Ataturk with the same interior layout, but just a lot bigger. I can see why they didn't open it fully yet - with the car park still not finished, interior fitting out and construction ongoing it would be crazy to try to move in hundreds of aircraft and huge numbers of passengers. Right now it's kind of like a cross between a small Ryanair style airport with 5 flights per day and a huge construction site. Certain parts are cordened off and they are still installing things like lifts in certain areas.

There are a few cafes that are open but others that are closed and many areas reserved for shops that have still not been leased or fitted out. There are buses and taxis outside, but the car rental counters are not ready yet. It is quite a beautiful design with a lot of nice touches and I'm sure it will be amazing when it's fully operational. It is quite far away although the road was clear of traffic on the route I took (from Levent leaving at 4pm) so it only took about 40m. I talked to some bus drivers and they said that it takes about 1 hour to Taksim but it can take 2 hours to Kozyatagi because the traffic on the second bridge is very bad.

lightsaber

Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:16 pm

peterinlisbon wrote:
I went to visit the new airport today by car. Parts of it (like the car parks) are still under construction and a lot of places like ticket offices, cafes and shops etc are still being fitted out. I was able to walk around inside though and the check-in area looks a lot like a giant version of Ataturk with the same interior layout, but just a lot bigger. I can see why they didn't open it fully yet - with the car park still not finished, interior fitting out and construction ongoing it would be crazy to try to move in hundreds of aircraft and huge numbers of passengers. Right now it's kind of like a cross between a small Ryanair style airport with 5 flights per day and a huge construction site. Certain parts are cordened off and they are still installing things like lifts in certain areas.

There are a few cafes that are open but others that are closed and many areas reserved for shops that have still not been leased or fitted out. There are buses and taxis outside, but the car rental counters are not ready yet. It is quite a beautiful design with a lot of nice touches and I'm sure it will be amazing when it's fully operational. It is quite far away although the road was clear of traffic on the route I took (from Levent leaving at 4pm) so it only took about 40m. I talked to some bus drivers and they said that it takes about 1 hour to Taksim but it can take 2 hours to Kozyatagi because the traffic on the second bridge is very bad.

Thank you for the summary. To be blunt, your description sounds like there is 3 to 6 months of work before TK moves over.

So I'll take the over when it is in full operation. There is weeks of debugging when complete.

I wouldn't plan to move over too early.

Now please understand I'm just estimating when this airport can begin full opperations. I think it could become the #1 airport in Europe quickly. I'm also a cynic on project schedule. So I hope to be proven wrong. Anyone want to make a friendly wager? It would have to be payable around LAX though...

Lightsaber
IM messages to mods on warnings and bans will be ignored and nasty ones will result in a ban.

peterinlisbon

Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:07 pm

lightsaber wrote:
peterinlisbon wrote:

Thank you for the summary. To be blunt, your description sounds like there is 3 to 6 months of work before TK moves over.

So I'll take the over when it is in full operation. There is weeks of debugging when complete.

I wouldn't plan to move over too early.

Now please understand I'm just estimating when this airport can begin full opperations. I think it could become the #1 airport in Europe quickly. I'm also a cynic on project schedule. So I hope to be proven wrong. Anyone want to make a friendly wager? It would have to be payable around LAX though...

Lightsaber

Yes, I agree that it would be more sensible to open fully in about 6 months but I'm not sure how sensible they're going to be. There is a lot of political pressure from the President to open this year, which I think is why they set the date as 31st December. It was only at the last minute that they cancelled the "big bang" plan to move everything on 29th October. If they don't move the date then I think it's going to be quite problematic because airlines will be moving into an airport that's not fully ready. Right now it doesn't matter because they can just use the parts that are finished (certain gates, certain sections of the car park etc).

Ideally, they should move airlines (not TK) over one by one as they did with T2 at London Heathrow. That way they can slowly ramp up bus services, car park capacity, staff numbers etc. The T5 move was a complete disaster and I imagine something similar will happen if they try to do it "big bang" style. It actually seems dangerous to rush these things. For example, there was one area I saw with a door leading to some kind of outside balcony 4 floors above ground level without railings. I don't know what that's for, but I they better remember to keep that door locked.

I don't know how pilots, fuel truck drivers, check-in staff etc are going to go to work at Ataturk one day and this place the next, without anyone (or many people) getting lost, confused and delayed in various ways. It's a recipe for disaster having thousands of confused, lost people running around not knowing what to do whilst hundreds of planes land, tens of thousands of passengers pour in and construction workers continue their work.

peterinlisbon

Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:56 pm

We made a video of our trip to the airport today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkQlj-Ou42A

LH748

Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:54 am

Wasn't it the plan to transfer all other airlines except TK to the new airport first and slowly get things moving and TK joins as the last big puzzle piece when the airport is operating more or less smoothly and workers got used to their new environment?
306 310 318 319 320 321 333 343 388 ATR72 733 737 738 739 743 744 748 752 753 763 764 772 77W 788 CRJ7 CRJ9 E170 F100 MD11 RJ1H
AA AB AC AF AK AZ BA DE DL EW FD FR HF HG IB IR MF KU LH LT LX OD TG TK TP UA VJ VN WN W6 YP YW

peterinlisbon

Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:08 pm

LH748 wrote:
Wasn't it the plan to transfer all other airlines except TK to the new airport first and slowly get things moving and TK joins as the last big puzzle piece when the airport is operating more or less smoothly and workers got used to their new environment?

No, that's what they would do if they were sensible. The actual plan was/is to transfer absolutely everything across in just one day. Operation "Big Bang" - not a good name, given that the last thing you generally want at an airport is a big bang. I think absolute chaos is pretty much guaranteed, but we'll see. Maybe at the last moment someone will convince the chief that it's not a good idea.

Personally I don't see why they couldn't just move the airlines across one by one and get the bugs ironed out first before throwing hundreds of planes and tens of thousands of passengers at it.

lightsaber

Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:22 pm

peterinlisbon wrote:
LH748 wrote:

No, that's what they would do if they were sensible. The actual plan was/is to transfer absolutely everything across in just one day. Operation "Big Bang" - not a good name, given that the last thing you generally want at an airport is a big bang. I think absolute chaos is pretty much guaranteed, but we'll see. Maybe at the last moment someone will convince the chief that it's not a good idea.

Personally I don't see why they couldn't just move the airlines across one by one and get the bugs ironed out first before throwing hundreds of planes and tens of thousands of passengers at it.

It violates bilaterals if other airlines are not given equal access. One can carve out a few days for exclusive moves, but that is it.

It should be:
1. All new flights at the new airport.
2. A period of a few weeks of early voluntary transfers. Maybe even a month.
3. Three days for TK tomove over
4. Two weeks of continued transfers
5. Shut the current IST.

Any more dragging it out is expensive.

That said, the new airport just isn't ready. Maybe in a week or two it could handle four to six gates being well utilized, but not until some car parks are activated. Then add a few gates each day.

TK is in a bind, without transfers most flights lose money. But they are so big a one day move is risky. I would take a 3 day weekend to move over (Friday through Sunday for Tuesday through Thursday). Either way, the first few weeks will needs hundreds of workers, including electricians and plumbers, on hand.

But from what I can tell, that should be in February.
Until then, they should mandate no new flights tothe current airport. Well... Once car parks open.

Lightsaber
IM messages to mods on warnings and bans will be ignored and nasty ones will result in a ban.

Finn350

Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:47 pm

What a great looking airport!

If they don't do rest of the TK as a big bang there would be absolute chaos with the connecting flights during the transition period. Better to wait that the new airport operates smoothly with "pilot" flights and then big bang. I hope I am not wrong...

peterinlisbon

Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:38 pm

I think it's highly likely that at the last minute they will change their minds and not try to do it all in one day, but who knows? I'm going to be flying out of there next week on one of the TK test flights to Antalya so I'll see a bit more and get an idea of how ready the interior and gates are. I'll make another video then, probably.

The other thing is that ground transportation might be a problem because until the new metro line is open such a large volume of traffic is going to put a lot of pressure on the roads and bus lines. They are going to need a hell of a lot of buses and I wonder if they have enough.

TK787
Topic Author

Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:43 pm

peterinlisbon wrote:
I think it's highly likely that at the last minute they will change their minds and not try to do it all in one day, but who knows? I'm going to be flying out of there next week on one of the TK test flights to Antalya so I'll see a bit more and get an idea of how ready the interior and gates are. I'll make another video then, probably.

The other thing is that ground transportation might be a problem because until the new metro line is open such a large volume of traffic is going to put a lot of pressure on the roads and bus lines. They are going to need a hell of a lot of buses and I wonder if they have enough.

Few things:
-There are thousands of engineers working there to figure things out. They had over 5 years to plan this out and they asked help from other airports that moved in the past. And never underestimate the adaptability genes of the Turks :) They come up with the most practical solutions to almost everything. I hope they don't move in the middle of winter though and wait till March/April.
-Taking the metro to the airport is not a concept in Istanbul. Most people take taxis, personal vehicles, busses, bus services like HavaIST, HAVAS.. No Turkish passenger with luggage will get on a subway/metro to an airport. I've never taken the metro to old IST in my 187 flights out of there.
-Half, if not more of the pax using this new airport will be transfer pax from day one, so no need for ground transport for them.
-I would be more concerned about the personnel that have to work there daily. But like in the past, TK will have shuttle busses for all its workers. I've seen that operation in person during shift changes and it is like a well oiled machine, hundreds of shuttle bussed take workers to all parts of Istanbul. Not an easy nor a fast commute; but Istanbul folks are used to that. And when the metro comes online in a few years, it will help the whole situation.
-I will be avoiding it as long as possible (as of now, first ticketed flight next August).
I totally understand the difficulties of moving a 60M+ pax capacity airport that has been established for decades, to a brand new distant location. Good Luck to all that's involved.

A321Lufthansa

Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:09 pm

By the way, what the second terminal in the future will be used for? The main is more than 1M sq.m, why do they need another one which is almost 10 times smaller?
Last flown aircrafts: A320 D-AIPL < A319 D-AIBA < E190 HB-JVL < A320 HB-IJR < A321 VP-BKQ < A321 VP-BAV < A320 HB-JLP < BCS3 HB-JCB < A319 D-AILF < A320 D-AIPM

zululima

Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:34 pm

For a supposed mega-airport, I've got to say, it looks damned small. Do they intend a second terminal in the opposite block of land? Rough count shows maybe 110 gates for narrowbody sized planes. I can't tell how many planes they actually intend per boarding pier.
I didn't get a 'Harumph' outta that guy!

Finn350

Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:54 am

zululima wrote:
For a supposed mega-airport, I've got to say, it looks damned small. Do they intend a second terminal in the opposite block of land? Rough count shows maybe 110 gates for narrowbody sized planes. I can't tell how many planes they actually intend per boarding pier.

Looking at aerodrome map chunhimlai posted (post #263), almost all gates have at least code E taxiways (A350/B787) and around 15 have code F taxiways (A380/B747). According to wikipedia, there will be 4 terminals with 165 jet bridges total, though the first one is by far the largest.

peterinlisbon

Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:14 pm

TK787 wrote:
peterinlisbon wrote:

Few things:
-There are thousands of engineers working there to figure things out. They had over 5 years to plan this out and they asked help from other airports that moved in the past. And never underestimate the adaptability genes of the Turks :) They come up with the most practical solutions to almost everything. I hope they don't move in the middle of winter though and wait till March/April.
-Taking the metro to the airport is not a concept in Istanbul. Most people take taxis, personal vehicles, busses, bus services like HavaIST, HAVAS.. No Turkish passenger with luggage will get on a subway/metro to an airport. I've never taken the metro to old IST in my 187 flights out of there.
-Half, if not more of the pax using this new airport will be transfer pax from day one, so no need for ground transport for them.
-I would be more concerned about the personnel that have to work there daily. But like in the past, TK will have shuttle busses for all its workers. I've seen that operation in person during shift changes and it is like a well oiled machine, hundreds of shuttle bussed take workers to all parts of Istanbul. Not an easy nor a fast commute; but Istanbul folks are used to that. And when the metro comes online in a few years, it will help the whole situation.
-I will be avoiding it as long as possible (as of now, first ticketed flight next August).
I totally understand the difficulties of moving a 60M+ pax capacity airport that has been established for decades, to a brand new distant location. Good Luck to all that's involved.

I hope you're right and everything goes well. I'm sure they've planned it all out, but things don't always go to plan. Nobody can really be sure how many passengers will use a particular bus line, for example, until the passengers are there. There may be other bottlenecks or weaknesses in the system that only become apparent when it is under pressure. I know how the shuttle buses work in Istanbul and I find them quite impressive. Other cities around the world could certainly learn form that.

mafaky

Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:43 pm

Finn350 wrote:
zululima wrote:

Looking at aerodrome map chunhimlai posted (post #263), almost all gates have at least code E taxiways (A350/B787) and around 15 have code F taxiways (A380/B747). According to wikipedia, there will be 4 terminals with 165 jet bridges total, though the first one is by far the largest.

There are a max. possible of 114 gates with jetways for C Code planes. 15 of these are only for C Code frames. 25 two jetway bridges are for E Code (or alternatively for 25 C Code). A further 25 are two way MARS bridges which can accomodate a single E Code or two C Codes. Finally there are 12 F Code MARS gates for a single F or E code or 2 C Codes. 4 of these have three jetways which can also serve the top floor of the 380.

(15+25+50+24=114 C Code frames can dock)

The number of Jetways total to 143 in the current Terminal.

A total of 29 Remote Gates, as well.

There will not be 4 terminals by the end of the project (supposedly by 2028). Most likely, there will be a second biggish terminal or a twin terminal. But it's not certain what the number of gates will be or if there will be a total of 165 individual jetways (which is next to impossible, as the current one carries 143...).
A veteran Electronics & Communications Engineer from Istanbul-Turkey, highly interested in civil and military aviation.

Finn350

Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:38 pm

mafaky wrote:
Finn350 wrote:
zululima wrote:

There are a max. possible of 114 gates with jetways for C Code planes. 15 of these are only for C Code frames. 25 two jetway bridges are for E Code (or alternatively for 25 C Code). A further 25 are two way MARS bridges which can accomodate a single E Code or two C Codes. Finally there are 12 F Code MARS gates for a single F or E code or 2 C Codes. 4 of these have three jetways which can also serve the top floor of the 380.

(15+25+50+24=114 C Code frames can dock)

The number of Jetways total to 143 in the current Terminal.

A total of 29 Remote Gates, as well.

There will not be 4 terminals by the end of the project (supposedly by 2028). Most likely, there will be a second biggish terminal or a twin terminal. But it's not certain what the number of gates will be or if there will be a total of 165 individual jetways (which is next to impossible, as the current one carries 143...).

Thansk for the detailed explanation!

peterinlisbon

Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:30 pm

I've been looking at the timetables for the HavaIst bus line to the new airport and it appears that it takes 2h30 (two and a half hours) from Kozyatagi Metro station to the new airport. I just can't believe it could possibly take so long. This means that leaving from my place it will take me over 3 hours to get there. Has anyone actually taken one of these buses and knows whether the timetables are realistic? I'm looking forward to trying the new airport but kind of annoyed at having to get up so early. I'm wondering if the buses stop at their intermediate stops and wait there in order to keep the timetable or they just go twice as fast if the traffic allows.

mafaky

Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:34 pm

I'm wondering if the buses stop at their intermediate stops and wait there in order to keep the timetable

It's exactly so. During the "trial period" of these 2 months, the Havaİst busses stop an intermediate stops and will wait at these locations if they arrive early. Last Sunday, I took the 06:50 bus from Taksim/Elmadağ. We reached the stop at 4. Levent Metro at 08:00. Beşiktaş Bus Station and Zincirlikuyu were the other in between stops and at that day and at that time, you can easily guess that there was absolutely no traffic.
A veteran Electronics & Communications Engineer from Istanbul-Turkey, highly interested in civil and military aviation.

Flightsimboy

Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:25 pm

Wow. What an amazing airport and those new uniforms are really nice. Really brings out the red in Turkish Airlines. As much as I like the Turkish Livery, new colours and a logo are in order to compliment the new airport and uniforms. A future TK trip report will happen when the time is right Enjoyed all my TK flights so far.
LAX772LR - "Answer to goofy question:" in response to my question about the B737-MAX8 being grounded. 48 hours later all B737-MAX8 grounded worldwide. Go figure!!

HeyTK

Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:43 am

peterinlisbon wrote:
I've been looking at the timetables for the HavaIst bus line to the new airport and it appears that it takes 2h30 (two and a half hours) from Kozyatagi Metro station to the new airport. I just can't believe it could possibly take so long. This means that leaving from my place it will take me over 3 hours to get there. Has anyone actually taken one of these buses and knows whether the timetables are realistic? I'm looking forward to trying the new airport but kind of annoyed at having to get up so early. I'm wondering if the buses stop at their intermediate stops and wait there in order to keep the timetable or they just go twice as fast if the traffic allows.

A passenger on a youtube video said it only look about an hour from kozyatağı so im not sure. They asked different passengers from the first bus rides.

peterinlisbon

Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:20 pm

mafaky wrote:
I'm wondering if the buses stop at their intermediate stops and wait there in order to keep the timetable

It's exactly so. During the "trial period" of these 2 months, the Havaİst busses stop an intermediate stops and will wait at these locations if they arrive early. Last Sunday, I took the 06:50 bus from Taksim/Elmadağ. We reached the stop at 4. Levent Metro at 08:00. Beşiktaş Bus Station and Zincirlikuyu were the other in between stops and at that day and at that time, you can easily guess that there was absolutely no traffic.

Thanks, knowing that then I'll plan to take the bus from Zincirlicuyu. In the worst case scenario if I miss it I can take a taxi from there or from Sanayi metro station.

skipness1E

Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:28 am

If you think “humanity is more important than money” in the Western world, you’ve clearly never been there :)

MaverickM11

Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:56 am

Why are all four runways on one side of the terminal initially? Seems like a strange layout to start with.
E pur si muove -Galileo

TK787
Topic Author

Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:36 pm

MaverickM11 wrote:
Why are all four runways on one side of the terminal initially? Seems like a strange layout to start with.

Those are two runways with back up taxiways next to them, so total of two runways in operation as of now. 3rd runway in construction will be finished late 2019 to 2020 is on the other side of terminal and engineering wise harder to construct. That might have played a role in terms of the sequence of completion schedule.

A321Lufthansa

Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:43 pm

Which gates are domestic and which international?
Last flown aircrafts: A320 D-AIPL < A319 D-AIBA < E190 HB-JVL < A320 HB-IJR < A321 VP-BKQ < A321 VP-BAV < A320 HB-JLP < BCS3 HB-JCB < A319 D-AILF < A320 D-AIPM

TK787
Topic Author

Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:32 pm

A321Lufthansa wrote:

AFAIK, "G" gates are the only Domestic gates; see post#222 for diagram. "mafaky" please correct me, if I'm wrong, thanks.

peterinlisbon

Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:18 pm

I took the flight today from the new airport. Everything went fairly smoothly, except that it was hard to find where the bus was leaving from as there were no signs. It left as exactly the time on the timetable and the bus waits at each stop for about 10 minutes, so I wouldn't recommend taking it from the end of the line because this makes it a very long trip. I got on at Zincirlicuyu metrobus and it took about 1h10m from there to the airport. Here are the official times:

http://www.otobus.istanbul/duyurular/ha ... C4%B0.aspx

The inside of the airport is really beautiful and there were no queues anywhere - at the entrance, at security and at the gate. The plane, a 737-800 called Safranbolu, was also brand new and they served a sandwhich and drinks on the short 40m flight. There was a free 15kg luggage allowance and all for 49 lira (8 Euros).

Regarding the Gates, we flew from G4 on the Southeast corner. The layout is the same as Ataturk - the whole of the southeast pier is domestic, but the only thing separating those gates from the international ones are glass panels so I imagine these could be moved as required.

ewt340

Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:26 pm

The check in counter, I don't like the wood combinations they use, and I thought I like the tower in render, but in real life it looked meh to me. Should have gone for more drastic design.

Apart from that, All the other interior is spot on, Look exactly like the render the showed us before.

mafaky

Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:24 pm

A321Lufthansa wrote:

All of A-B-C-D-E & F Gates are international and only G Gates (where there are 2*MARS gates that can accomodate up to 18 narrow bodies) are domestic... However, I've heard that in case of future need, several F Gates in Pier 1 adjoining Pier 2 (where G Gates are located) may also be converted into domestic use with some partitioning. But, I guess, this will be a remote possibility.

TK787
Topic Author

Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:09 pm

mafaky wrote:
A321Lufthansa wrote:

All of A-B-C-D-E & F Gates are international and only G Gates (where there are 2*MARS gates that can accomodate up to 18 narrow bodies) are domestic... However, I've heard that in case of future need, several F Gates in Pier 1 adjoining Pier 2 (where G Gates are located) may also be converted into domestic use with some partitioning. But, I guess, this will be a remote possibility.

I agree, latest numbers from October pax numbers shows the ongoing trend; SAW domestic pax numbers continue to exceed IST domestic pax numbers. Better yet; SAW with only one runway serves 1/2 as many total pax as IST. SAW might be the Domestic travel of choice of Istanbul residents for sometime to come.

peterinlisbon

Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:21 am

Here's the video we made of our trip to the New Istanbul Airport, showing the bus journey, check-in and some of the airside areas:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjjfwFggfYI

cedars747

Re: Istanbul New Airport, Latest Pictures

Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:29 am

gzm wrote:
Very good designs indeed,Wow,but have you noticed they have a futuristic element that goes back to the sixties?

It's true, it reminds me of Pan Am worldport.
Tengo una pasion por la aviacion /لدي شغف للطيران / I have a passion for aviation /Jeg har en lidenskap for luftfart/ J'ai une passion pour l'aviation.

LAXLHR

Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:53 am

Looks truly beautiful and a massive congrats to Turkey. Love the city of Istanbul.

I would imagine since it took such a short amount of time to build the airport, they will probably be able to outfit the interiors that remain in half the time expected.
BA JM EA GK PA VS AA SN HP CO W7 WN NW DL QQ UA AC US LH LX OS JL QF QR PG MH CX U2 EK 9W UK TP VY VN PC LO OK OZ UL SQ LA

707 727 L10 732-NG 741 742 743 744 752 753 762 763 772 773 787 DC8 DC9 DC10 M80 M11 100 AB3 310 318 319 320 321 332 333 342 343 380

SQ789

Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:18 pm

Anyone know other airline lounge in the airport apart from Turkish Airlines that will open end of year?
If it's not Boeing, I'm not going!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos