Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

mafaky

Re: Istanbul new airport - latest pictures and discussion thread

Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:19 am

Regarding of brakes; TC-LNC has brake fans and they can be switched on during taxi to prevent heat build up. 15 min cool down is little too much for fan equipped plane. Actually brake fans are more effective while brakes released, stop and wait increase cooling time. But I really worry about 777`s in summer.

1) Is there a reference list which TK frames (including the NBs and also the leased frames) that need brake cooling? (Have just heard that carbon brakes don't need cooling; if that's entirely true???) Or a list of the TK frames having brake cooling fans?
2) What is your concern about the 77W fleet (I guess you indicated the entire fleet inc. the 777F all-cargo ones...)? Don't these triple sevens have cooling fans at all (hard to believe that they don't or have these as optional...)?
3) In case of TK787's experience and taking into consideration that particular frame did have cooling fans, why should the pilot prefer to give than 15 min. cool-down break? Extra precaution?
4) In the case that having cooling fans for factory fresh frames is optional; is it easy/possible to have them incorporated later onwards?

Thanks.
A veteran Electronics & Communications Engineer from Istanbul-Turkey, highly interested in civil and military aviation.

MeCe

Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:55 am

mafaky wrote:
Regarding of brakes; TC-LNC has brake fans and they can be switched on during taxi to prevent heat build up. 15 min cool down is little too much for fan equipped plane. Actually brake fans are more effective while brakes released, stop and wait increase cooling time. But I really worry about 777`s in summer.

1) Is there a reference list which TK frames (including the NBs and also the leased frames) that need brake cooling? (Have just heard that carbon brakes don't need cooling; if that's entirely true???) Or a list of the TK frames having brake cooling fans?
2) What is your concern about the 77W fleet (I guess you indicated the entire fleet inc. the 777F all-cargo ones...)? Don't these triple sevens have cooling fans at all (hard to believe that they don't or have these as optional...)?
3) In case of TK787's experience and taking into consideration that particular frame did have cooling fans, why should the pilot prefer to give than 15 min. cool-down break? Extra precaution?
4) In the case that having cooling fans for factory fresh frames is optional; is it easy/possible to have them incorporated later onwards?

Thanks.

1) No brake cooling for Boeing fleet. TK purchased Airbus frames have fans but no I dont have any info about leased frames. There are some many variations, I dont think anyone has dedicated list of brake cooling. Steel or Carbon does not make difference about brake fans. Quicker you cool your brakes, quicker you turn the plane.

2) My concern is as mentioned above, Boeing fleet has no fans, therefore they need wait until they cool down. I read some where it is an option for 777 but I am not sure.

3) It is extra extra precaution in my opinion. I have some feedback about captains are unhappy about salary etc, that may cause this "extra extra" precaution ;)

4) It is possible add brake fans later, TK add some of 340`s during their C check. But it adds weight, makes tire changes tricky, extra maintenance item. And if it is broken -even 1 of 8 - you have wait again cool down.

TK787
Topic Author

Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:18 pm

"mafaky" please add my question to the list:
-taxiways/runways/terminal are not all on same level. They had to move a lot of earth, why not move more and make them all level?

mercure1

Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:35 pm

Many airports are not level.
For instance at Madrid where I am doing a project, the field elevation varies by 120 feet from runway to runway, with some having a significant slope.
Also since ground was leveled at IST, over the years the land will surely settle more over time.
mercure f-wtcc

pune

Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:09 pm

mercure1 wrote:
For instance at Madrid where I am doing a project, the field elevation varies by 120 feet from runway to runway, with some having a significant slope.
Also since ground was leveled at IST, over the years the land will surely settle more over time.

Are you thinking that due to repeated landings, the pressure on earth will make it go down a bit. In that case, shouldn't it be also happening in Madrid and other places or that depends on soil, moisture, wind and some other things which we don't know ?

TK787
Topic Author

Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:49 pm

mercure1 wrote:

I did not know that.
I have been to 106 airports and let me tell you I was a bit surprised at IST, during taxi to the terminal after landing :)
Anyone know how much lower is the "U" shaped taxiway South/SouthEast of the terminal at IST?
Thank you.

LAXintl

Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:33 pm

Indeed airfields can have variation in height. According to charts IST field elevation varies 108ft.

To put that in perspective a building's floor is usually 10-12 feet in height, so its maybe a 10-story building difference in height between points across the airport. Quite similar to Madrid which Mercure1 just pointed out. Even here at LAX we have 28ft variation.

And regarding the comment of settling, yes such large greenfield projects will certainly see subsidence as the earth moves and land settles. Could be on runways, ramps, terminal buildings, roadways etc. There will always be soft spots where the earth will compact and shift over time on such projects.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

N14AZ

Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:47 pm

TK787 wrote:
At the TK lounge again. This time on the West Lounge. I guess, eventually this will be for only FF Card Holders and the East Lounge will be for paid J pax.

I had no clue there are two lounges (even though it makes sense for such a large airport, of course). I was in the lounge with the golf training room close to the washing rooms. So in which lounge have I been?

pune wrote:
mercure1 wrote:

Are you thinking that due to repeated landings, the pressure on earth will make it go down a bit.

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: That’s for sure what he meant. At my home airport Frankfurt, after several decades of operations, the two touchdown zones are now five meter deeper. The rest of the runway is still at the initial level, of course. 8-)

Sorry, couldn’t resist... :fight:

Solidus

Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:48 pm

Actually someone asked why there is not possible to cross runways. Is there explanation for this?

TK787
Topic Author

Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:09 pm

N14AZ wrote:
So in which lounge have I been?

I think the Golf Simulator is in the East Lounge. It is not a good map, maybe you can see it here:
https://www.istanbulhavalimani.com/en/p ... irport-map

TK787
Topic Author

Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:13 am

Greetings from a warm Istanbul morning.
I was on TK2 yesterday, JFK-IST and had one of my fastest crossings at 8:45 hours and one of the bumpiest :)
Good news is that we landed on 34L and it only took 15 min to get to B1. What a difference it makes when the gate is closer to the terminal. I asked my car service to pick me up 1 hour after I landed, but since the taxi was faster, Gate was closer... I had to wait 1/2 hour for the car.
In short, from touch down to Exit was around 30 minutes, which was great.
On another note, this was my first time at the lower level, with all the HAVAIST buses and such and I found it unacceptable how dirty it was. It is pretty much covered in dust, garbage on the ground...as if it is an unfinished, construction area. It is such a shame to see to come from a finished terminal to an unfinished outdoor space :( It was so bad, that I could not find a place to set my bag down :( Why??? It can be cleaned in a few days if really needed.

HeyTK

Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:23 am

That sounds bad. I hope you took pictures and showed it to the IGA personel. Maybe even send them a email as an official complaint?

ArchGuy1

Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:01 pm

Do you think that Istanbul's New Airport will become a destination in itself like Singapore Changi Airport.

ASA

Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:41 am

pune wrote:
Are you thinking that due to repeated landings, the pressure on earth will make it go down a bit. In that case, shouldn't it be also happening in Madrid and other places or that depends on soil, moisture, wind and some other things which we don't know ?

Depending on the soil type, quality of construction, and overall pressure on top of it ... soil particles "consolidate" over time ... basically gets more compacted. The construction process itself may have compacted the soil to the required level and density, but the soil itself still undergoes its own slow method of compaction, basically the tiny soil particles gets into more interlocking positions over time. This is known as soil consolidation ... happens more in clayey soils ... and rather uniformly over the area that had a lot of earthwork compaction done. But sometimes can create some noticeable differences in soil level over a long period.

As this airport was constructed in a 'hurry', chances are there will be pockets of consolidation here or there, but that can be fixed too.

mafaky

Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:27 am

ArchGuy1 wrote:
Do you think that Istanbul's New Airport will become a destination in itself like Singapore Changi Airport.

Can you possibly make this question a bit more clear? In which respects are you comparing Istanbul Airport vs. S'Pore Changi?
A veteran Electronics & Communications Engineer from Istanbul-Turkey, highly interested in civil and military aviation.

SomebodyInTLS

Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:51 am

mafaky wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:

Can you possibly make this question a bit more clear? In which respects are you comparing Istanbul Airport vs. S'Pore Changi?

I think he's asking if people will make trips to Istanbul airport just to see the airport itself - like people in Singapore might go to Changi to do some shopping, watch a movie or hang out in one of the food courts...
"As with most things related to aircraft design, it's all about the trade-offs and much more nuanced than A.net likes to make out."

AirbusA6

Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:43 pm

Used this at the weekend

Positives - really impressive looking architecture, airy and stylish, sized for massive passenger growth as it feels very spacious

Negatives - the terminal is an awful long way from the runways, so the taxiing takes an eternity, it needs the Metro line extension
it's the bus to stansted (now renamed National Express a6 to ruin my username)

souterra

Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:55 pm

AirbusA6 wrote:
Used this at the weekend

Positives - really impressive looking architecture, airy and stylish, sized for massive passenger growth as it feels very spacious

Negatives - the terminal is an awful long way from the runways, so the taxiing takes an eternity, it needs the Metro line extension

The long walks in the terminal really did me in. I'd add that to the long taxiing as a negative.

william

Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:19 pm

If one lands on the eastern most runway at DFW, it takes about 15 -20 minutes to terminal A. What kind of time are we talking about when one says the runways are far from the terminal?

Mystic

Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:30 pm

A recent interview with the IGA CEO. He is asked about the long distance walking and he says that they are obligated to help the elderly, pregnant women and families with kids to reach their gates and that they are working on a new short-cut doors that they are slowly introducing but havent openly announced yet. They also offer free buggy rides for these people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntZXaTPi7lw&t=0s

souterra

Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:13 pm

Mystic wrote:
A recent interview with the IGA CEO. He is asked about the long distance walking and he says that they are obligated to help the elderly, pregnant women and families with kids to reach their gates and that they are working on a new short-cut doors that they are slowly introducing but havent openly announced yet. They also offer free buggy rides for these people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntZXaTPi7lw&t=0s

I've transited through the airport twice and don't qualify automatically for a buggy. Both times the connecting gates were at the extreme opposite end from the arrival gates and by the time I got there, I needed a nap.

It's a lovely airport, no doubt, but there's something to worry about very large terminals, very long walks and the taxiing. Hopefuly, these get sorted out over time, as mentioned.

TK787
Topic Author

Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:56 pm

I've used the new airport 6 times; drove there, took a cab, UBER, HAVAist, got picked up via private service, transferred there, stayed at the YOTEL.
Keep repeating myself; Last March at Ataturk; on a weekday @ 10am, we waited 50 minutes on the tarmac and were #11 for takeoff. How fast we forget that?
You want a big airport, you get big taxi/walk distances. That simple :)
I love the new airport and feel lucky that it is one of my home airports.

Mystic

Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:03 pm

Yeah probably the biggest contribution of the new airport is that there is no traffic and waiting line. Neither for the planes as for the passengers. And it will only be better in the future.

Rom1

Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:17 pm

They maybe need to consider adding a small train shuttle connecting the different piers:

1 line would go from Pier A to F and another from B to D, with an interchange at the intersection of D and C-E

Not cheap but the inside terminal is just insanely large...

AirbusA6

Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:56 pm

william wrote:
If one lands on the eastern most runway at DFW, it takes about 15 -20 minutes to terminal A. What kind of time are we talking about when one says the runways are far from the terminal?

I can't remember, 20-30 minutes? Looking at the aerial photo, we seemed to use the far runways, which go past an under construction building and all sorts of other unbuilt structures which are a long way from the main terminal!

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Istan ... 28.7427334

souterra wrote:
AirbusA6 wrote:
Used this at the weekend

The long walks in the terminal really did me in. I'd add that to the long taxiing as a negative.

True, I'd forgotten about that! It would be nightmare making a connection when you arrive at one end and depart at the other, as there are no moving walkways in the main building, a major flaw for an airport which wants to be considered a major hub airport.
it's the bus to stansted (now renamed National Express a6 to ruin my username)

william

Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:55 pm

AirbusA6 wrote:
william wrote:

I can't remember, 20-30 minutes? Looking at the aerial photo, we seemed to use the far runways, which go past an under construction building and all sorts of other unbuilt structures which are a long way from the main terminal!

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Istan ... 28.7427334

souterra wrote:
AirbusA6 wrote:
Used this at the weekend

True, I'd forgotten about that! It would be nightmare making a connection when you arrive at one end and depart at the other, as there are no moving walkways in the main building, a major flaw for an airport which wants to be considered a major hub airport.

Is there no runway on the east side (or right side of the airport looking at the map)? Why would they design their terminal to a corner of the main ops.

TK787
Topic Author

Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:36 am

william wrote:
Is there no runway on the east side (or right side of the airport looking at the map)? Why would they design their terminal to a corner of the main ops.

As of now, there are two runway pairs to the West of the Terminal. Two runways and two backups. Total two runways. In about a year the 3rd runway to the East of the Terminal will be operational. This will make the taxi times shorter at least for Domestic flights, since Domestic Piers are on the East side of the Terminal.
That will be the completion of Phase 1. One Terminal in the middle, two runways to the West and on e runway to the East.
Everything else from that point on will be built on the East of the existing Terminal.
Second Phase will have an identical Terminal 2 to the East of the 3rd runway and then there will be Runway 4 and 5 still to the East.
Finally there will be a Runway 6, the only one that runs on East-West, located to the SE corner of the whole area.

conaly

Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:19 am

AirbusA6 wrote:
souterra wrote:
AirbusA6 wrote:

I somehow got the worst possible combination twice. Was flying NUE-IST-ADB and ADB-IST-NUE. The arriving flight from NUE landed on the far west runway. Taxi time was more than 20 minutes and the plane was positioned at the domestic terminal G on the complete opposite side of the airport, despite being an international flight from Germany. So we deboarded by stairs and a bus brought us all the way back to the international arrival terminal (think it was somewhere around B/C). From there I had to walk the whole way back to terminal G, which took quite a long time again, especially as there have been no moving walkways at all. On my return leg more or less same situation: arrival on the far west runway, long taxitime to terminal D gate position, deboarding by stairs and the bus brought us to domestic terminal G and I had to walk back to terminal B for my connection.

The operational processing seems somehow still to be a bit messy, at least from a passenger point of view. On the other hand, the transfer passport and security checks in both directions (intl>dom and dom>intl) have been quite smooth as not too many people have been there. This is so much better than leaving the airside area and changing the terminal at old Atatürk airport, where transfer passengers shared the border control and security checks with departing passengers which sometimes took a ridiculous amount of time. I just don't get, why they require a security check when coming from EU and transferring to domestic. Doesn't Turkey consider the EU as a clean arrival? Or don't they separate the international flights at all and just get all transferring pax through security?

Regardless of some long walking times, I really like the sheer size of the whole terminal. This makes it so much less crowded than Atatürk airport. You'll always find a good seat at your gate, even when a fully booked 77W is waiting at the gate. There are also plugs and USB-ports for every other seat which is really helpful.

The most annoying thing for me was the internet at the airport. It is necessary to register with your phone number to get an access code. This is in my opinion a quite antiquated process but I'm okay with that. What really bothered me is that you have only ONE HOUR of access per day and number. I mean seriously? One hour, when I have a transfer time of four? What they expect me to do in the renaming time? Go shopping? Seriously this is a huge disadvantage for me when I can't even use the internet all the time, because someone thought one hour per person is enough. There isn't even the option to buy more time, I just got the message, that my time is up and I should try later again.
Airports 2019: ADB, ALG, AMD, ATL, BOG, BOS, CDG, CTS, DEL, DTW, DUS, EWR, FRA, FUK, HAM, HFT, HIJ, HND, HVG, IST, ITM, JFK, MUC, NGO, NUE, OKA, PHL, SIN, STN, TOS, YYZ, ZRH
Airports 2020: ALG, CTS, FRA, HKG, HND, MSQ, MUC, NUE, TLV, ZRH

mafaky

Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:10 pm

SomebodyInTLS wrote:
mafaky wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:

I think he's asking if people will make trips to Istanbul airport just to see the airport itself - like people in Singapore might go to Changi to do some shopping, watch a movie or hang out in one of the food courts...

I highly doubt!...

Duty Free prices (not limited to only spirits, tobacco & perfumes) on the international airside should not be very cheap; only transiting (transfer) pax may get interested. And there's no major entertainment event(s) as in Changi. Food and drink prices are already too high for the local people plus the fact there's almost no major food outlet on the landside. There's only a smallish food-court plus several other food stalls (inc. the Arrivals) where you get horrible prices as compared to the equivalent ones in the City. And the Moneychangers ask (and get) some 10% commission, which is more horrible!... If you want to wrap your luggage, there are plenty of then in the Departures landside but with the wrapping cost of four suitcases you buy a middle-size four wheel one (not a Samsonite, of course!...) in the City.

TK787
Topic Author

Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:28 pm

ArchGuy1 wrote:

This is going to be waaaayyyy out of topic but, in short, NO.
There is no special displays/features, museums, shopping or entertainment options, spotting terraces at IST to warrant it.
I can easily say this because I just spent 30 hours at the TWA hotel at JFK.
What an incredible anutter paradise and it is also a destination itself since I've met people from NYC, WashingtonDC and Ohio... just came to stay at the hotel, they are not passengers. A bit of a warning, it is only an airport hotel, not a resort. But the chance of going up to the pool deck, 9 floors high, having a cold drink, sitting in the pool and watching heavies take off and land is awesome. And did I mention very good food options ( a bit pricy but hey..) And at night time, having drinks inside the old "Connie" just parked between the hotel and the Jetblue terminal. Very few rooms have the tarmac/runway view. On the other hand the TWA shop has a very large gift options, from TWA tennis shoes to TWA beach towels. Now that is a destination in itself.

Turkish350XWB

Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:46 pm

TK787 wrote:

I don't agree: a modular system with satellite terminals connected via underground offers the same capacity with following advantages:
1. reduced walking distance: by allowing less gates at the terminal(s) you can built them smaller; at IST I have the impression the wanted to squeeze as many gates in as possible which made it so big
2. grow capacities on demand: smaller terminals allow expansions step by step, so satellite terminals could be added on demand instead of investing into another huge terminal

Following this principle my favourite is new Beijing Airport which is star-shaped. Satellite terminals also star-shaped could be connected via underground in their centres.

mafaky

Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:47 am

Turkish350XWB wrote:
TK787 wrote:

I don't agree: a modular system with satellite terminals connected via underground offers the same capacity with following advantages:
1. reduced walking distance: by allowing less gates at the terminal(s) you can built them smaller; at IST I have the impression the wanted to squeeze as many gates in as possible which made it so big
2. grow capacities on demand: smaller terminals allow expansions step by step, so satellite terminals could be added on demand instead of investing into another huge terminal

Following this principle my favourite is new Beijing Airport which is star-shaped. Satellite terminals also star-shaped could be connected via underground in their centres.

Your impression looks pretty much right on the surface. However you forget the fact that (New) IST inherit a yearly pax traffic (international & domestic) of 65+ million. The old AHL (now, IST) was already too much squeezed. So if you starting point is 65+ million how do you start with the new one!??? The (New) IST only terminal is planned for nominal 90M, which should adequately handle say 100-105M. What you suggest may be more valid for the second terminal: yes that can start from a certain level and can expand in due course. Ironically enough, the already taken but yet undeclared decision is to build the second terminal as a replica of the first one. These will be around 2 km. apart (their midpoints). But cannot predict if they can build this second one in a more modular way. But it's pretty much clear there will not be any satellite terminals.

Turkish350XWB

Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:27 pm

The solution would be to keep the check-in infrastructure of the main terminal, shorten the piers, and build 2+ additional satellite terminals. Whenever needed just add on satellite.

mafaky

Fri Dec 20, 2019 7:44 pm

Turkish350XWB wrote:
The solution would be to keep the check-in infrastructure of the main terminal, shorten the piers, and build 2+ additional satellite terminals. Whenever needed just add on satellite.

Available (usable) land area is only sufficient either for a big 2nd terminal, practically the twin of the current big terminal or a smaller one to the east of the present one. Now, if:
a) The second terminal will be a "twin" one they can eventually handle 200m pax, pretty comfortably without getting overcrowded. Maybe up to 220m with some squeezing. The consequence will be that the last two N/S runways will come closer but still enabling independent ops. (The current terminal's design/nominal capacity is 90m so there will be no hassles when upgauging it to 100m!)
b) If they build a second terminal say with 60-65m capacity, it will be smaller than the current one, but the N/S rwys may still remain 1300mt apart. The present terminal can be forced to 120-125m (with some degree of overcrowding...) and the 2nd smaller terminal can be pushed into 75-80m max capacity still to reach 200m (annually).

The disadvantage of the 2nd "twin" terminal is that it will remain half empty for a rather long period of time, unless IGA can find a way to construct it in a modular architecture.

amrabari

Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:57 pm

Anyone think that the prices are very very expensive in IST?? I personally traveled to many airports in Middle East, Europe and US, and I like to enjoy my time around the airport with shopping or eating however the prices in IST is way very very expensive .. some times that prices is 8 times the prices in the city .. which is crazy

TK787
Topic Author

Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:47 pm

amrabari wrote:
Anyone think that the prices are very very expensive in IST?? I personally traveled to many airports in Middle East, Europe and US, and I like to enjoy my time around the airport with shopping or eating however the prices in IST is way very very expensive .. some times that prices is 8 times the prices in the city .. which is crazy

This is going to be a very big problem for years to come :(
The consortium has to keep the rentals and in turn the prices very high to be able to pay the 800+ Million euro fee to the government yearly.

amrabari

Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:50 pm

TK787 wrote:
be able to pay the 800+ Million euro fee to the government yearly.

I can understand that, however, for a traveler and user experience, this really annoys me (as the prices are really really way insanely expensive) and start to prefer DXB terminal 3 as a connection airport with better service and reasonable prices on the Emirates and DXB airport. I really hope to get our voice to someone in the government or IGA management to consider traveler & customer experience.

something else, what's the issue with the internet at the airport?? Always need to put a phone number to get OTP to access the internet .. however, you don't require that in DXB or LAX especially it happen to me 2 times, I arrive at IST and tried to put my international phone number many time but I don't know why I don't get any SMS .. so I couldn't connect to the internet and couldn't communicate with anyone which is really bad.

also, if we can get better hours for the internet not only 1 hour or so that will be much much better.

there is a video on youtube that talks about this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvrNXFtY1R0&t=706s