Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

atcsundevil
Topic Author

PHX Terminal 3 might be named for Sen. John McCain

Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:30 pm

Phoenix Mayor Greg Stanton wants to name Terminal 3 at PHX Sen. John McCain.

"Senator McCain has given so much of himself to our country, to Arizona and to Phoenix. Giving something back to an American hero, a former naval aviator and a 30-year member of the U.S. Senate is the least we can do,'' Stanton said in a statement Thursday.

The proposal will go before the city council on Nov. 29. The terminal is currently undergoing a $500 million renovation to be completed in 2020. It will be home to Delta, United, Alaska, and others.

Terminal 4 is already named after former Sen. Barry Goldwater, who similarly ran for president in 1964.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/travel/ ... 871797001/

boeing773er

Re: PHX Terminal 3 might be named for Sen. John McCain

Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:16 pm

While I don’t agree with McCain on politics 98% of the time, this is a nice gesture for him. He has given very much to the United States as a whole, but even more to Arizona.
Work Hard, Fly Right.

cathay747

Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:46 pm

Fitting and appropriate, regardless of one's view on politics. He's a great man. But damn, I either didn't realize or had forgotten...T3 won't be done until 2020???
Try a Little VC-10derness

pasu129

Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:58 pm

Very nice gesture for someone who have done much for US. Politics aside, Sen. John McCain is a great asset of United States.
Viva Las Vegas

atcsundevil
Topic Author

Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:01 pm

cathay747 wrote:
Fitting and appropriate, regardless of one's view on politics. He's a great man. But damn, I either didn't realize or had forgotten...T3 won't be done until 2020???

It's a big project. The core of the building is pretty much complete, but once reconstruction of the south side is done, they'll have to reconstruct the north side. Things are built at warp speed in Phoenix, but not that fast! It only started two years ago, and it was always projected to be a five year project. They probably could have done it in half that if they moved everyone out, but working around a functioning facility doubles the construction time.

Beatyair

Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:15 pm

Frankly, the whole airport should be named for the man.

jaybird

Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:16 pm

What's going to happen to T2 after the move?

jaybird

Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:16 pm

Beatyair wrote:

Agreed!

atcsundevil
Topic Author

Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:45 pm

jaybird wrote:
What's going to happen to T2 after the move?

It will be closed and demolished. T3 will accommodate all current T2 operators. Everything will then be renumbered to Concourses A-F — Concourses A-D on the current T4 will stay the same (the term "Terminal 4" will just go away), the north side of T3 will be Concourse E, and the south side Concourse F.

LupineChemist

Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:51 pm

Nice gesture. Not to be too morbid, but I hope they can do it while he's still alive and that unfortunately is not going to be too much longer.

910A

Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:54 pm

Beatyair wrote:

Guessing you weren't paying attention when then Phoenix Mayor Rimza wanted to name the airport after Barry Goldwater..The travelers in the Phoenix area love the name Phoenix-Sky Harbor..I suspect after a few years the people of Columbus will want the name Port Columbus back just like Henry Jackson International Airport went back to Sea-Tac, because it's just different than xxxx (fill in the city) international airport or xxxx (fill in the politician) international airport.

Based on McCain's flying career in the Navy, I'm not too sure if it's a good idea to put McCain name anywhere near where aircraft operate. :white:

Spotter787

Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:07 pm

Phoenix would be nuts to ditch the Sky Harbor name. If they did it would be picked up very quickly by another city. It's fitting for Sen McCain's name to be on the terminal. Even though I don't agree with a lot of his positions the citizens of Arizona do. I know Goldwater was proactive in the days gone by regarding PHX air service. Sen McCain, if I recall correctly, helped secure a non-stoptof DC from PHX. Are there any other airport issues he's championed?

ODwyerPW

Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:15 pm

As a property owner and business owner in Arizona (yes... I reside in Sonora as well)... I prefer it remain Sky Harbor.

McCain has been and continues to be a good public servant, and I appreciate he endured mistreatment as a POW, but I'm generally opposed to these kind of broad accolades. Naming the brand new terminal after the man so that he will be remembered by some is a very nice gesture. Incurring the expense of renaming the entire airport (and funding it with public money), is a bit unnecessary.
learning never stops.

Deltabravo1123

Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:22 pm

Regardless of how much they've done for a country, I will never agree with the constant renaming of airports and terminals after government workers and policy makers. At least he served in the military, so I'll take the renaming as a tribute to his service to America, but never as a tribute to his role in America's despicable government. Terminals and airports should be dedicated to those who've actually made an honest and meaningful difference in the world. Drives me crazy, honestly.

Adipocere

Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:42 pm

So PHX would go from Skyharbor Airport to McCain International Airport? Golly.. I wonder if they'd change the code to MCC or something a la Idlewild to JFK.

allegiantflyer

Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:37 pm

Adipocere wrote:
So PHX would go from Skyharbor Airport to McCain International Airport? Golly.. I wonder if they'd change the code to MCC or something a la Idlewild to JFK.

No just Terminal 3, similar to how how just terminal 4 is named after Barry gold water.

Sky Harbor is an iconic name, probably one of the best airport names out there. It won't ever be changed.

TWA772LR

Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:10 am

910A wrote:
Beatyair wrote:

Guessing you weren't paying attention when then Phoenix Mayor Rimza wanted to name the airport after Barry Goldwater..The travelers in the Phoenix area love the name Phoenix-Sky Harbor..I suspect after a few years the people of Columbus will want the name Port Columbus back just like Henry Jackson International Airport went back to Sea-Tac, because it's just different than xxxx (fill in the city) international airport or xxxx (fill in the politician) international airport.

Based on McCain's flying career in the Navy, I'm not too sure if it's a good idea to put McCain name anywhere near where aircraft operate. :white:

As far as Columbus is concerned, John Glenn will be remembered more as an astronaut than a politician. Port Columbus may have been unique, but I don't know of anyone who objects to John Glenn.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

EA CO AS

Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:24 am

As a Phoenix-area resident - and a Republican - I actually do NOT want T3 named after Sen. McCain. I think naming things after people has gotten out of hand, especially after then-Gov. Napolitano rammed through the renaming of Squaw Peak for PFC Lori Piestewa.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos