Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

cloudboy
Topic Author

Private Jets as Accomodations

Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:47 pm

LArger private jets often have bedrooms on board. Are these designed for use on the ground as well as in the air, or are they strictly for use while flying?
"Six becoming three doesn't create more Americans that want to fly." -Adam Pilarski

stlgph

Re: Private Jets as Accomodations

Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:51 pm

Famous musicians who leave shall we say "diva" impressions, have routinely used their private jets while tour because of lack of 5 star hotels in the area of certain cities.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

trijetsonly

Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:34 am

cloudboy wrote:
LArger private jets often have bedrooms on board. Are these designed for use on the ground as well as in the air, or are they strictly for use while flying?

It tends to be the other way round.
There are certain features in private jets, that are certified for ground use unly, not for inflight use.
But as there won't be any law enforcement in the air, it's up to the owner weather he or she uses the feature inflight.

I've heard stories about fireplaces, saunas, whirlpools and similar stuff that has been fitted into private airplanes for ground use only.
Happy Landings

LH526

Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:11 am

Problem would be, when said star would like to go for a late night out they can't simply leave their hotel room but need to contact the FBO, they most likely would call a bus to pick you up a the plane and to the FBO Terminal. Coming back it's all this plus security screening ... if you don't mind the hazzle, go for it.
Trittst im Morgenrot daher, seh ich dich im Strahlenmeer ...

BravoOne

Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:07 am

trijetsonly wrote:
cloudboy wrote:

There are certain features in private jets, that are certified for ground use unly, not for inflight use.
But as there won't be any law enforcement in the air, it's up to the owner weather he or she uses the feature inflight.

I've heard stories about fireplaces, saunas, whirlpools and similar stuff that has been fitted into private airplanes for ground use only.

I think your "stories" are mostly just that...stories. The FAA does not certify ground use only features on aircraft, nor does any other regulatory body that I'm aware of. Nothing to stop someone from running the APU and spending hours onboard in lieu of going to the hotel.

N14AZ

Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:45 pm

stlgph wrote:
Famous musicians who leave shall we say "diva" impressions, have routinely used their private jets while tour because of lack of 5 star hotels in the area of certain cities.

Strange, if you ask me. If the city has an airport you would think it should have an acceptable hotel as well.

Do you have an example for such a musican? Don't they sleep late after a concert? How can you do this on an aiport with all that noise? The safety issues as mentioned above.... and what about groupies? :duck:

26point2

Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:56 pm

Oh brother...a fireplace? That was meant to be joke, right? There is no fireplace, or sauna. How about a swimming pool and bowling alley too?

As has been said, whatever is installed must be certified by government regulator and I have never heard of any cabin furnishings only allowed for use on ground. Why would someone want this?

Clipper101

Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:47 pm

Yes they can, this is the advantage of having a washroom/shower onboard. What they need would be a a catering agent, power source & may be a water/waste service.

Aesma

Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:43 pm

The same room that appears like the height of luxury would become much less so when on the ground, when there is no reason to stay in that tiny tube of metal, when you're not isolated from the rest of the world up there in the sky, etc.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

stlgph

Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:12 pm

N14AZ wrote:
stlgph wrote:

Strange, if you ask me. If the city has an airport you would think it should have an acceptable hotel as well.

Do you have an example for such a musican? Don't they sleep late after a concert? How can you do this on an aiport with all that noise? The safety issues as mentioned above.... and what about groupies? :duck:

It actually happens more often than you think.

A number of them stay on their jets because it makes sense. For example, when Florence & the Machine played the Dover Speedway in 2016, there were no hotel rooms in the area, so they just stayed on the plane. Many musicians do this either on their plane or bus for large festival venues (Bonnaroo) or the Gorge in Washington state. Many prefer the jets because they feel the security of the airport and the area is better than what some hotels in the area offer.

On some specific tours I remember my publicist friends talking about because they had to "deal with this" directly-

Madonna, Confessions Tour, 2006. Stayed the night on her jet in Fresno and Hartford. If you notice, on her tours from 2009, she changed the method of her concert itinerary planning. This was because there weren't five star hotels in either area and she played back to back dates in both Fresno and Hartford.

John Mellencamp stayed on his jet a few nights during the 1999 Rural Electrification Tour. Trenton and Fargo come to mind. This was because he was hubbing back and forth between Bloomington, IN and each concert date. Trenton/Fargo were too far out and they had gigs the next night.

Prince, Musicology Tour, Columbia, SC and Knoxville come to mind.

Cher spent a number of nights on her jet during her farewell tour which started in 2002 and then went into 2005. Her security staff felt the accommodations on the jet were better than they could find in a hotel in some areas. i.e. Toledo.

The thing for many artists to do these days is "hub." They'll get extended stay luxury apartments or hotels in certain cities across the country, Chicago, Las Vegas, Atlanta, etc., and fly back and forth between some shows each night. After say 3-4 weeks they'll move to the next base and tour from there. Not all artists do this, but some do.

Some still prefer to get on the bus and ride across the country.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

N14AZ

Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:44 pm

stlgph wrote:
N14AZ wrote:
stlgph wrote:

Do you have an example for such a musican?

It actually happens more often than you think

Thanks for your feedback and all these examples. Cher, okay, that’s the only musician who would prefer an aircraft that I could think of... ;-)

32andBelow

Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:59 pm

LH526 wrote:
Problem would be, when said star would like to go for a late night out they can't simply leave their hotel room but need to contact the FBO, they most likely would call a bus to pick you up a the plane and to the FBO Terminal. Coming back it's all this plus security screening ... if you don't mind the hazzle, go for it.

Many FBOs are 24/7. And if it's just a private operation not in the sterile area, then no security is required.

MaksFly

Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:25 pm

32andBelow wrote:
LH526 wrote:

Many FBOs are 24/7. And if it's just a private operation not in the sterile area, then no security is required.

Precisely... the appeal of flying private is NOT going through the hassles of TSA. lol. Walk right up to your plane/jet.

barney captain

Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:26 pm

BravoOne wrote:
trijetsonly wrote:
cloudboy wrote:

I think your "stories" are mostly just that...stories. The FAA does not certify ground use only features on aircraft, nor does any other regulatory body that I'm aware of. Nothing to stop someone from running the APU and spending hours onboard in lieu of going to the hotel.

I would suspect in that instance, it would likely be a GPU/PCA combination as opposed to an APU running all night.
Southeast Of Disorder

BravoOne

Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:07 pm

No they would run the APU for air conditioning and let it go at that. About 200/250 LBS per hour as I recall on the 757/767. Having said that I don't recall having ever seen this done in the real world.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos