Gulfstream500

Re: Updated: California Pacific Airlines has a start date! November 1st

Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:08 pm

It’s not that California is bad for new businesses - it’s that it’s terrible for the airline business. Unless you’re flying some essential air service route, then you’re probably going to encounter some competition with the majors. For example, they’re competing with significantly cheaper airlines at SAN. They also have a tremendous amount of competition with WN - most of their routes operate cheaply, and with many more convienient frequencies (some 15 per day on SAN-SMF, LAS, and PHX each). I’d much rather fly WN, given the fact that CPAir might not be good with safety, and WN has much more convenient flight times.
What's the deal with airplane food?

Frontier Airlines: Spirit of the west

LAXintl
Topic Author

Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:55 pm

CP formally notified the DOT it is no longer is able to support its awarded EAS flying.

Since communities have been left without air service, DOT has opted to move up the date for replacement proposals to January 30th.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

Jetsouth

Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:11 pm

CP also announced it has laid off all of its employees.

KLMatSJC

Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:45 am

Jetsouth wrote:

Where did they announce that?
A318/19/20/21/21N A332/3 A343/5 A388 B712 B722 B732/3/4/7/8/9/9ER B744/4M B752/3 B762ER/3/3ER/4ER B77E/L/W B788 CRJ2/7/9 Q400 EMB-120 ERJ-135/140/145/145XR/175 DC-10-10 MD-82/83/88/90

Long Live the Tulip, Cactus, and Redwood

Dominion301

Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:38 pm

KLMatSJC wrote:
Jetsouth wrote:

Maybe there's still 1 person on the 'payroll' to refund the dozens of affected passengers.

https://www.mycpair.com/

hawaiian717

Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:59 pm

KLMatSJC wrote:
Jetsouth wrote:

I didn't see an announcement about it but it's mentioned in this article:

According to memorandums from CP Air officials, all employees have been placed on furlough effective Friday for approximately three weeks.

https://www.ksfy.com/content/news/Calif ... 55382.html

KLMatSJC

Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:10 pm

hawaiian717 wrote:
KLMatSJC wrote:
Jetsouth wrote:

I didn't see an announcement about it but it's mentioned in this article:

According to memorandums from CP Air officials, all employees have been placed on furlough effective Friday for approximately three weeks.

https://www.ksfy.com/content/news/Calif ... 55382.html

Thank you. I was looking for a headline too, but looks like it was sort of hidden.
A318/19/20/21/21N A332/3 A343/5 A388 B712 B722 B732/3/4/7/8/9/9ER B744/4M B752/3 B762ER/3/3ER/4ER B77E/L/W B788 CRJ2/7/9 Q400 EMB-120 ERJ-135/140/145/145XR/175 DC-10-10 MD-82/83/88/90

Long Live the Tulip, Cactus, and Redwood

KlimaBXsst

Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:19 pm

Can we detail some of the challenges Aerodynamics Inc., was having prior to becoming California Pacific.

Two tedious business models do not necessarily make for a single successful one.
Perhaps the unraveling was not entirely California based. I really know little about Aerodynamics Inc. and of their strategic successes prior to California Pacific. Maybe someone can fill us all in.
Aesthetically the A 340 got it right!

usxguy

Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:19 pm

Well you have to keep the 5 "wisemen" on payroll and active for the Part 121 Cert to remain valid, and I believe DOT only allows for a 90 day lapse of service before they revoke scheduled authority & require new financial fitness.
xx

flyoregon

Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:48 pm

KlimaBXsst wrote:
Can we detail some of the challenges Aerodynamics Inc., was having prior to becoming California Pacific.

Two tedious business models do not necessarily make for a single successful one.
Perhaps the unraveling was not entirely California based. I really know little about Aerodynamics Inc. and of their strategic successes prior to California Pacific. Maybe someone can fill us all in.

When they were based out of Waterford, MI, a guy named Scott Beale came in and bought the company in 2011 or 2012. This is when they were also doing all of the flying for Intel's corporate shuttle. It didn't take long for Beale and his crew to dismantle and otherwise reputable company. Whatever money there way, Beale started chasing contracts that he wasn't prepared for ultimately losing them. This led to pay periods being missed, incorrect payroll, and ultimately the loss of the Intel contract in December 2012 to XO Jet's subsidiary GMJ Air Shuttle. After that point, it was just a downward spiral.

In 2015, ADI was purchased on John Beardsley who owned the soon to be bankrupt airline SeaPort after running that operation into the ground. Then in 2017, CP owners bought ADI and once again, the company was run into the ground.

ADI had a 53 year history of being a well known and respected company in Michigan, only to be unraveled by people who apparently didn't have a clue about what they were or what they were suppose to be doing.

ODwyerPW

Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:16 am

usxguy wrote:
Well you have to keep the 5 "wisemen" on payroll and active for the Part 121 Cert to remain valid, and I believe DOT only allows for a 90 day lapse of service before they revoke scheduled authority & require new financial fitness.

I have a feeling I'm about to learn something. :D What are the 5 wisemen, the critical positions that must remain filled to maintain Part 121 Cert?
learning never stops.

Varsity1

Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:20 am

ODwyerPW wrote:
usxguy wrote:

I have a feeling I'm about to learn something. :D What are the 5 wisemen, the critical positions that must remain filled to maintain Part 121 Cert?

Chief Pilot,
Director of Ops
Director of maintenance
Director of safety
Chief Inspector

Large carriers can have a required director of training or AQP syllabus manager.
"PPRuNe will no longer allow discussions regarding Etihad Airlines, its employees, executives, agents, or other representatives. Such threads will be deleted." - ME3 thug airlines suing anyone who brings negative information public..

usxguy

Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:22 am

(1) Director of Safety.

(2) Director of Operations.

(3) Chief Pilot.

(4) Director of Maintenance.

(5) Chief Inspector.
xx

ODwyerPW

Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:26 am

You guys rock! Thanks for teaching me something today!

usxguy wrote:

(1) Director of Safety.

(2) Director of Operations.

(3) Chief Pilot.

(4) Director of Maintenance.

(5) Chief Inspector.

Varsity1 wrote:

Chief Pilot,
Director of Ops
Director of maintenance
Director of safety
Chief Inspector

Large carriers can have a required director of training or AQP syllabus manager.

learning never stops.

Yflyer

Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:31 am

KlimaBXsst wrote:

I'd be interested, too. I used to work for Intel and Aerodynamics used to provide their corporate shuttle service on the West Coast (I'm sure spotters at SJC are similar with it). Then one day Intel abruptly canceled that contract after learning of some "issues" with Aerodynamics, and replaced the shuttle flights with charters until they found another company to operate their shuttle flights. They were vague about what exactly what those issues were other than something about them being at risk of bankruptcy or something like that. I've always been curious about what exactly happened there.

MO11

Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:57 am

Yflyer wrote:
I'd be interested, too. I used to work for Intel and Aerodynamics used to provide their corporate shuttle service on the West Coast (I'm sure spotters at SJC are similar with it). Then one day Intel abruptly canceled that contract after learning of some "issues" with Aerodynamics, and replaced the shuttle flights with charters until they found another company to operate their shuttle flights. They were vague about what exactly what those issues were other than something about them being at risk of bankruptcy or something like that. I've always been curious about what exactly happened there.

That was basically it. ADI Shuttle (a subsidiary of Aerodynamics) filed for bankruptcy in November 2012. Aerodynamics followed two months later. GMJ took over in January 2013.

I seem to remember that prior to Aerodynamics, the Intel shuttles were operated by EJM.

flyoregon

Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:55 am

MO11 wrote:
Yflyer wrote:

That was basically it. ADI Shuttle (a subsidiary of Aerodynamics) filed for bankruptcy in November 2012. Aerodynamics followed two months later. GMJ took over in January 2013.

I seem to remember that prior to Aerodynamics, the Intel shuttles were operated by EJM.

That’s correct. It was EJM before that. ADI lost Intel because of bad money management, using those funds from the intel contract to fund other ventures and not paying for necessary things at intel including maintenance and labor. Intel caught wind and gave ADI the boot. That was all December 2012. I know because I was employed by them.

LAXintl
Topic Author

Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:10 pm

Proposals are in for replacement service.

Only Boutique Air bid on Pierre proposing using either PC-12 or King Air 350 with 30-36 weekly flights to DEN or combo DEN and MSP.

For Watertown, Boutique also bid with a proposal for 30-36 weekly flights to MSP using either PC-12 or King Air 350.

Additionally Air Choice One bid on Watertown proposing 24 weekly flights to MSP on Beech 1900s.

RJNUT

Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:36 pm

this article adds SkyWest and Denver Air Connection as bidders

https://www.capjournal.com/news/mayor-h ... 7c86d.html

LAXintl
Topic Author

Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:06 pm

Regulations.gov updated.

Denver Air Connection offers Do328 proposals for either a Denver-Pierre-Watertown tag service or standalone proposal of 24 weekly Watertown and Pierre service.

Skywest proposes 12-weekly CRJ200 standalone service to both Pierre and Watertown from DEN.

drdisque

Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:26 pm

The Boutique and Skywest proposals are probably both the best (as usual).

Boutique is nice that it provides the option of MSP service.

However, the community supported the ADI service to DEN and had good pax counts when the ticket was sold on a ZK code and had interline with UA. Being a true UA ticket would even improve enplanements further.

jetmatt777

Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:36 pm

LAXintl wrote:
Regulations.gov updated.

Denver Air Connection offers Do328 proposals for either a Denver-Pierre-Watertown tag service or standalone proposal of 24 weekly Watertown and Pierre service.

Skywest proposes 12-weekly CRJ200 standalone service to both Pierre and Watertown from DEN.

I knew OO would file, this is right in their wheelhouse. Is it 12 round trips to each city or 12 round trips between the two? (6x weekly each)
Lighten up while you still can, don't even try to understand, just find a place to make your stand and take it easy

bugsbegone

Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:01 pm

jetmatt777 wrote:
LAXintl wrote:
Regulations.gov updated.

I knew OO would file, this is right in their wheelhouse. Is it 12 round trips to each city or 12 round trips between the two? (6x weekly each)

This is from Skywest's Proposal:

Frequency and Term

As directed by the RFP, we will offer 12 round-trip flights per week for a two year term for each community as follows:
PIR-DEN: 12 nonstop flights per week
ATY-DEN: 6 nonstop / 6 direct flights per week

So I would presume a plane would RON in ATY and stop in Pierre in the morning on the way to Denver. But the afternoon flights would be separate non-stops.

LAXintl
Topic Author

Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:14 pm

California Pacific Airlines informed the Federal Aviation Administration on Jan. 16 that it had ceased operations, the agency said.

California Pacific Airlines shuts down after 2 months
https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/bu ... story.html

Though Vallas says its not the end...

Vallas, reached by phone Friday, was defiant that California Pacific would be back in the air before summer. He said the airline would be announcing new venture capital funding in the coming weeks, would purchase up to six more planes (adding to its fleet of four Embraer ERJ-135 twin jet planes) and was invigorated by a new concentration on only West Coast destinations. Vallas has a history of statements that don’t come to fruition.

iflykpdx

Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:20 pm

LAXintl wrote:

Vallas, reached by phone Friday, was defiant that California Pacific would be back in the air before summer. He said the airline would be announcing new venture capital funding in the coming weeks, would purchase up to six more planes (adding to its fleet of four Embraer ERJ-135 twin jet planes) and was invigorated by a new concentration on only West Coast destinations. Vallas has a history of statements that don’t come to fruition.

Step right up, who wants to lose more money?
Airport Management - UND

wedgetail737

Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:42 pm

iflykpdx wrote:
LAXintl wrote:

Step right up, who wants to lose more money?

Yeah...I'll believe it when I see it. I'm just glad I had the chance to fly on them.

janders

Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:22 pm

Fleet of 10 planes :eek:

Maybe they should first figure how to operate one or two successfully before asking investors to godown another rabbit hole :old:
"We make war that we may live in peace." -- Aristotle

wedgetail737

Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:27 pm

janders wrote:

Maybe they should first figure how to operate one or two successfully before asking investors to godown another rabbit hole :old:

With 10 airplanes, maybe they should have a spare or two to avoid disasters from the first iteration.

KCaviator

Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:28 pm

This Vallas guy and California Pacific are the aviation version of Fyre Fest...

jonnyclam123

Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:56 pm

I think this is the first time on A.net where the start of an airline and the end of an airline is in the same thread.

Jetsouth

Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:23 pm

I thought that some of the four planes that they had have already been repossessed.

wedgetail737 wrote:
janders wrote:

With 10 airplanes, maybe they should have a spare or two to avoid disasters from the first iteration.

DDR

Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:54 pm

Sad for the employees but this airline is dead. You would have to be a fool at this point to still believe in this venture.

Polot

Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:10 am

janders wrote:

They failed to get enough investors the first time around a few years ago, I doubt things will change now.

Vallas just has a dream (commercial service he can use at CLD). What he lacks, and what successful startups require, is a vision.

LAXintl
Topic Author

Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:57 pm

Update from Fernando Pineda VP/COO:

California Pacific Airlines continues internal reorganization efforts in the interest of restarting operations. The relaunch is planned to be limited to Supplemental operations as well as scheduled service with a Carlsbad, California hub. The restart will be staffed with essential personnel only with the intent of organically growing the company over time in the interest of financial and operational stability. For that reason, the company will not be able to complete the Essential Air Service contract serving the cities of Pierre and Watertown, South Dakota, as part of the relaunch.
In a company meeting, President and CEO, Theodore Vallas reported that the company is finalizing arrangements in the purchasing of two aircraft. Mr. Vallas also indicated that the company intends to recall employees soon.
As we proceed with the planned of relaunch, I will communicate with the DOT to ensure we meet economic authority requirements. We will also work with our FAA Certificate Management Office inspectors to ensure we meet operational/safety requirements in support of the relaunch.

UPlog

Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:35 am

This Vallas guy wont give up ha.

I feel sorry for all the investors however. Probably be more fun throwing the money into the fireplace instead.

Gulfstream500

Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:13 am

Next on the chopping block:
The next itteration of Midwest express! Maybe they will pull a onejet and try to buy ultimate air?
What's the deal with airplane food?

Frontier Airlines: Spirit of the west

maps4ltd

Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:17 am

It is high time that someone update this thread title.
Delta Gold Medallion and Southwest A-List

maps4ltd

Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:19 am

It blows my mind that United serves Kearney, Scottsbluff, Devil's Lake, Jamestown, and not Pierre. Even DL serves Aberdeen from MSP. Hopefully it is rectified soon. It may not be DEN-PIR-ATY, but it will at least be DEN-PIR.
Delta Gold Medallion and Southwest A-List

AirlineBrat

Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:12 am

I wonder if Baltia Air Lines/USA Global Airways might want to step in?
I'm leavin on a jet plane. Don't know when I'll be back again....

usflyer msp

Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:38 am

Mr. Vallas' family needs to look into a setting up a conservatorship for him. He is obviously not his right mind to keep funnelling money into this dumpster-fire of a carrier and/or think that someone else will want to.

If he really wants to support air service at CLD, he should take those funds and set up a travel bank to support some combination of AA to PHX, UA to SFO, and DL to SLC. This independent airline idea needs to die.

rj777

Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:40 pm

Isn't this Valias guy like almost 100 years old? He should be flying around on airlines for vacation, not running one into the ground!

PlanesNTrains

Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:55 pm

As poorly executed as it is, he’s doing what many on a.net wish they had the money to do. Seriously, how many of us dream of one day having enough many to set up a travel bank? One? Two?

He’s not long for this world. If he wants to blow his money, let him.
-Dave

MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.

SgtBarone

Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:24 pm

Looks like Skywest won the contract. Service to begin in April:

https://www.capjournal.com/news/u-s-dep ... df2ee.html
AGP ATL BCN BNA BOS CLE CLT DCA DEN FLG FLL FRA IAD IAH JAX LAX LGB MAD MCI MDW MKE MUC PHX RDU RSW SEA SJU SLC SNA TPA

LAXintl
Topic Author

Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:33 am

Vallas wants to be back in 3-months.

"CP Air founder Ted Vallas, 97, told The Coast News the airline will restructure its executive team and inject millions of dollars in capital to re-launch service.
The company will resume flights from Carlsbad’s Palomar-McClellan Airport to Phoenix-Gateway, Denver, San Jose, Reno, Tucson, Las Vegas and Sacramento, according to Vallas.
“We’ll actually be flying in less than three months,” said TG Vallas, Ted Vallas’ nephew and secretary of the Board of Directors. “We’re going to do it with a fleet of aircraft, so if there’s any mechanical issues we’ll have spare aircraft to put online to accommodate the routes.”

https://www.thecoastnews.com/california ... the-skies/

KICT

Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:48 am

Yeah, sure. Good luck finding pilots.
People are saying. Believe me.

travaz

Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:49 am

Define Fleet of aircraft? 2?

Coronado990

Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:38 pm

I was wondering. Can the SSJ100 depart from the short CLD runway (4897') to at least reach the bay area?
We're up.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos