hawaiian717

Re: Updated: California Pacific Airlines has a start date! November 1st

Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:30 pm

wedgetail737 wrote:
Well the poster was right. First flight was indeed cancelled. So first flight is tonight at 7:45pm from SJC to CLD...hopefully.

It would have to be the other way, 6:00pm from CLD to SJC. The plane arrived in CLD a few minutes ago, so the first flight would have to be from CLD, not too CLD.

LAXintl
Topic Author

Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:54 pm

How embarrassing to cancel your inaugural due to no airplane.

Unfortunately, this is likely a sign of things to come. With single airplane on the West Coast, there will be days an AOG will wipe out the entire flight schedule.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

barney captain

Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:00 pm

sunking737 wrote:
A388 wrote:
EP as in Extended Payload?

A388

Extra Patients ...It gets their some day

Do you want to give that one more try? :laughing:
Southeast Of Disorder

SyracuseAvGeek

Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:19 pm

The only other plane of theirs that is not EP is N286SK which is down for maintenance as it struck a construction vehicle about a week ago and damaged the wing.
"I haven't been everywhere yet, but it's on my list."

Wingtips56

Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:40 pm

Unless they sent all the crews that would be working the flights to training at an existing station, it seems risky for me to have a live flight be the first time anybody sees an aircraft. Opening doors, operating stairs, cargo doors, loading/unloading, dumping the Biffy, filling potable water, etc., etc.; just a few of the things you'd think one would have worked out before hand.
Worked for WestAir, Apollo Airways, Desert Pacific, Western, AirCal and American Airlines (Retired). Flight Memory: 181 airports, 92 airlines, 78 a/c types, 403 routes, 58 countries (by air), 6 continents. 1,119,414 passenger miles.

Home airport : CEC

32andBelow

Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:45 pm

Wingtips56 wrote:
Unless they sent all the crews that would be working the flights to training at an existing station, it seems risky for me to have a live flight be the first time anybody sees an aircraft. Opening doors, operating stairs, cargo doors, loading/unloading, dumping the Biffy, filling potable water, etc., etc.; just a few of the things you'd think one would have worked out before hand.

I’m sure there are being turned by an fbo. Thy are trained to work on whatever plane just shows up

seablue125

Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:21 pm

I wish them well. Although... since they are only headed to SJC; and they don't want to take any chances of anything going amiss, IMHO perhaps they should just load up the airplane full; then drive it on northbound I-5 to SJC. It may be a bit tricky on CA-152; but it's good to have that first trip done and on the books...!

usxguy

Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:10 am

well, first flight is on the move...
xx

itripreport

Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:34 am

Just to play it on the safe side, I just booked my ticket for Saturday as I already have plans tomorrow morning, after all, the airport is just a 4 minute drive from my house. Can't wait to finally try CPA!!!

WN732

Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:43 am

seablue125 wrote:
I wish them well. Although... since they are only headed to SJC; and they don't want to take any chances of anything going amiss, IMHO perhaps they should just load up the airplane full; then drive it on northbound I-5 to SJC. It may be a bit tricky on CA-152; but it's good to have that first trip done and on the books...!

LOL I'd like to see that up Pacheco pass and the Grapevine

Yflyer

Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:53 am

WN732 wrote:
seablue125 wrote:

LOL I'd like to see that up Pacheco pass and the Grapevine

Now I'm picturing a race between an ERJ and a Hot Rod Lincoln.

wedgetail737

Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:25 am

hawaiian717 wrote:
wedgetail737 wrote:
Well the poster was right. First flight was indeed cancelled. So first flight is tonight at 7:45pm from SJC to CLD...hopefully.

It would have to be the other way, 6:00pm from CLD to SJC. The plane arrived in CLD a few minutes ago, so the first flight would have to be from CLD, not too CLD.

Well the flight last night finally happened. Both Ted Vallas were present along with a couple of other execs, but there was hardly any fan-fare on the evening flight. But there were a few paying passengers, including myself. The return trip (CLD-SJC) had a few more people, but still not very full. The younger Ted Vallas was with us along with some of his family members. Both ways, the flights were fine...pretty uneventful. They were giving out free ballcaps with "California Pacific" on them. There was a lot more fan-fare on the return. Would I fly on them again? Sure!

itripreport

Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:24 am

Flying them tomorrow, looking forward to see how they compared to Cal Jet.

N766UA

Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:56 pm

wedgetail737 wrote:
hawaiian717 wrote:
wedgetail737 wrote:

Well the flight last night finally happened. Both Ted Vallas were present along with a couple of other execs, but there was hardly any fan-fare on the evening flight. But there were a few paying passengers, including myself. The return trip (CLD-SJC) had a few more people, but still not very full. The younger Ted Vallas was with us along with some of his family members. Both ways, the flights were fine...pretty uneventful. They were giving out free ballcaps with "California Pacific" on them. There was a lot more fan-fare on the return. Would I fly on them again? Sure!

They’ve had 7 years to get the word out and only a “few paying passengers” showed up? Oof.

wedgetail737

Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:21 pm

N766UA wrote:
wedgetail737 wrote:
hawaiian717 wrote:

They’ve had 7 years to get the word out and only a “few paying passengers” showed up? Oof.

They claimed that the pax numbers were rising in the coming flights. I noticed there were more people going to CLD on the morning departure back to
CLD, but more like the 20's.

SANFan

Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:48 pm

N766UA wrote:

I have a feeling most folks wanted to wait and see if the first flight actually got off the ground before investing in tickets; from the sounds of the events of Nov 1, that might have been a smart idea.

Hopefully, business will pick up now -- as long as there's no further major upset to the operation.

I hope Ted Sr. is a happy camper to see his dream finally take off!

bb

wedgetail737

Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:37 pm

SANFan wrote:
N766UA wrote:

I have a feeling most folks wanted to wait and see if the first flight actually got off the ground before investing in tickets; from the sounds of the events of Nov 1, that might have been a smart idea.

Hopefully, business will pick up now -- as long as there's no further major upset to the operation.

I hope Ted Sr. is a happy camper to see his dream finally take off!

bb

Yeah...the first flight on 11/1 was cancelled and was postponed until the 2nd flight at 7:45PM. The real festivities and fan-fare was the next day at 7am at CLD. There were a few more paying customers along with company execs. I think I met three of the Vallas family on the evening of 11/1. And then another three or so on the morning flight. It seemed like each flight were getting progressively more populated, albeit slowly.

ridgid727

Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:25 pm

So apparently they have been operating the California flights for about 3 weeks now. Anyone have an idea what kind of loads they are pulling?

SyracuseAvGeek

Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:23 am

I talked to a California pacific personnel today, they said that the flights are getting better as they go on. They wouldn’t tell me the exact numbers but they did say SJC has the best load factors followed LAS, AZA, and finally RNO with an average of 8 people per flight . Hopefully they will make it, now that they have actually started flights I sure hope people will take advantage of their flights.

They cater to business people who don’t want to deal with the hassle of driving to SAN, if they get TSA PreCheck I think that would help.
"I haven't been everywhere yet, but it's on my list."

ridgid727

Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:49 am

SyracuseAvGeek wrote:
I talked to a California pacific personnel today, they said that the flights are getting better as they go on. They wouldn’t tell me the exact numbers but they did say SJC has the best load factors followed LAS, AZA, and finally RNO with an average of 8 people per flight . Hopefully they will make it, now that they have actually started flights I sure hope people will take advantage of their flights.

They cater to business people who don’t want to deal with the hassle of driving to SAN, if they get TSA PreCheck I think that would help.

Their loads would probably improve if they could secure some kind of interline agreement, and use LAS or SJC as a connecting point. Three weeks is too early to tell, although if those 145's are carrying an average of 8 that cannot last long.

janders

Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:52 pm

Looking to blow more money by adding additional routes.

https://www.thecoastnews.com/new-routes ... by-cp-air/

Eff 3/1/19 CLD-SMF
Eff 3/15/19 IWA-DEN
"We make war that we may live in peace." -- Aristotle

LAXintl
Topic Author

Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:29 pm

Should work to beef up frequency and loads on existing routes first imo.

A significant portion of flights have been running with meager loads (<10), even some with pax that can be counted on a single hand.

The Phoenix-Denver link is most likely driven by desire to create a bridge move aircraft and crews back and forth from DEN for the EAS flying.

910A

Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:05 am

janders wrote:
Looking to blow more money by adding additional routes.

https://www.thecoastnews.com/new-routes ... by-cp-air/

Eff 3/1/19 CLD-SMF
Eff 3/15/19 IWA-DEN

If I was a betting man, I would say California Pacific will be a defunct airline by March.

wedgetail737

Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:13 am

LAXintl wrote:

A significant portion of flights have been running with meager loads (<10), even some with pax that can be counted on a single hand.

The Phoenix-Denver link is most likely driven by desire to create a bridge move aircraft and crews back and forth from DEN for the EAS flying.

It will be interesting to see how well (not so well) they do during the Holidays.

sunking737

Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:32 am

Why was it so many complained about when they would start service?? Now its when will they shut down...I don't get it?? It has folks employed
"Don't believe it unless its parked on the ramp, or printed in the schedule...SUBJECT TO CHANGE"

I'm a SUNDUCK......Worked for RC & SY @ MSP

ridgid727

Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:12 am

Their EAS ops and Charter Ops are definitely providing subsidy to their CLD ops. I was in SJC the other day and 4 souls got off. They really need to get an Interline agreement with somebody. They lost the Alamosa CO bid (which originally the city wanted them to get it) because they didn't have interline agreements.

williaminsd

Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:58 am

LAXintl wrote:

Completely agree here. "Would love to use CPA to Reno, but won't if I can't get back for two days." I have heard this or something similar from several North County execs over the past several weeks. With daily service, and at $150 each way, all of San Diego County, and southern Orange County, would consider this alternative to RNO ($5/day parking doesn't hurt either). Hope they can hold on long enough to survive the bleeding and establish a consistent product. I wish them nothing but the best on the new and existing flights.

Edit: So I actually read article (it helps): CPA starts 2x/daily to Reno March 15, in addition to the new service. Smart move...
Last edited by williaminsd on Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

williaminsd

Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:07 am

sunking737 wrote:
Why was it so many complained about when they would start service?? Now its when will they shut down...I don't get it?? It has folks employed

Agree with this too...

dbo861

Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:24 pm

“We’re expecting two additional Embraer 145 aircraft to be added soon to our fleet,” CEO Ted Vallas said. “We’re anticipating adding a larger Embraer 170 sometime in early 2019.

Interesting they're hopefully adding an E170..I wish them well.

RJNUT

Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:30 pm

if they don't get an interline with United, they may lose PIR and ATY in next round of EAS bids as Denver Air Connection (with jets) could offer up better connectivity with their new agreement signed with UA

janders

Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:38 pm

dbo861 wrote:
Interesting they're hopefully adding an E170..I wish them well.

:shakehead:

They should figure out how to fill a 50-seater first before venturing into costlier 70-seater aircraft leases.
"We make war that we may live in peace." -- Aristotle

LAXintl
Topic Author

Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:45 pm

ridgid727 wrote:
Their EAS ops and Charter Ops are definitely providing subsidy to their CLD ops. I was in SJC the other day and 4 souls got off. They really need to get an Interline agreement with somebody. They lost the Alamosa CO bid (which originally the city wanted them to get it) because they didn't have interline agreements.

RJNUT wrote:
if they don't get an interline with United, they may lose PIR and ATY in next round of EAS bids as Denver Air Connection (with jets) could offer up better connectivity with their new agreement signed with UA

Interline is likely a catch-22 with United.

Sure they might be open to work together at DEN, but what is UA's incentive when at the same time CP Air is flying scheduled service in California and competing for the same potential customer between San Diego and NorCal for example?

joeblow10

Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:21 pm

RJNUT wrote:

When is the EAS contract up again? Frankly I'd be shocked if this isn't a Skywest route within 1-2 years.

RJNUT

Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:33 pm

joeblow10 wrote:
RJNUT wrote:

When is the EAS contract up again? Frankly I'd be shocked if this isn't a Skywest route within 1-2 years.

Expiration is July 2020. so they have a while. I think they have been generally pleased with CP, but now they don't have connectivity(loss of ZK codeshare) and also the California startup phase will strain this DEN operation, so it could be a limp to the finish line for PIR and ATY!

RJNUT

Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:38 pm

Monday and Tuesday this week ALL flights cancelled !

https://www.aviationpros.com/news/12438 ... l-problems

jimbo737

Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:58 pm

Wingnut Air will survive precisely as long as Chief Wingnut Ted Velas is prepared to empty his grandchildren's college fund into subsidizing air travel for a few dozen people every day.

mtnwest1979

Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:59 pm

Well it is his to do with as he pleases, so what?
Riddle: Which lasts longer, a start-up airline or a start-up football league?

joeblow10

Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:12 pm

I guess this goes back to my question of the EAS contract: are cities allowed to try and end the contract early if service is unreliable? I can’t see PIR or ATY putting up with this type of reliability for nearly 2 more years.

And of course... we know there is little doubt CPA’s CLD network is being inadvertently subsidized by the PIR/ATY contract

drdisque

Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:14 pm

LWB, CKB, and SHD successfully petitioned the DOT to reopen their EAS early due to dissatisfaction with Via Air late last year. I believe several ZK communities also did the same within the last 5 years.

The thing is that ATY actually sat un-bid for an extended period of time and PIR had specifically asked for and waited for Aerodynamics to take over the contract, granted there is a mitigating circumstance in that the airline was sold and changed names and lost its interline agreement.

However, if they were to come up for bid they actually present a unique opportunity for Boutique Air to bridge its standalone MSP-TVF flight to the rest of the system by bidding a combination of DEN and MSP service at PIR and ATY.

LAXintl
Topic Author

Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:06 am

Cant help to have a small fleet geographically split and god knows what type of maintenance/parts support infrastructure.

UPlog

Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:53 pm

Welcome to world of running an airline. It’s logistically challenging and costly.

Jetsouth

Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:05 pm

Are they back to normal operations today?

xpfg

Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:44 pm

Jetsouth wrote:

It appears so, yes. CLD SJC landed within the last hour.

drdisque

Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:14 pm

DEN-PIR-ATY also operated yesterday afternoon/evening.

AirFiero

Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:04 pm

xpfg wrote:
Jetsouth wrote:

It appears so, yes. CLD SJC landed within the last hour.

I wonder if they had any passengers onboard?

(I’m skeptical as hell, and I *do* want them to succeed)

slider

Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:35 pm

Another dopey scheme tripping on its ass.

Long gestation period, bad reliability, poor schedule, little traffic, gosh, what could go wrong?

BoeingGuy

Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:29 pm

RJNUT wrote:
Monday and Tuesday this week ALL flights cancelled !

https://www.aviationpros.com/news/12438 ... l-problems

This is sounding like the Pen Air operation out of PDX. Great concept but with poor reliability and failed quickly.

DL717

Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:06 am

SyracuseAvGeek wrote:

And what would be the benefit of pre-check if the flights are pretty much empty?
Welcome to Nothingburgers. May I take your order?

hawaiian717

Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:15 am

DL717 wrote:
And what would be the benefit of pre-check if the flights are pretty much empty?

Not having to take half of your stuff out of your carry on at the security checkpoint. And while CLD might not be that busy, SJC, SMF, RNO, LAS, and DEN are so not being able to go through the PreCheck lanes there would be an extra disincentive for someone to choose California Pacific over another airline.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos