Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Antarius

Re: BER News and Discussion Thread - 2020

Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:21 pm

goosebayguy wrote:
Does anyone know if there is a viewing terrace at BER?

Yes

https://ber.berlin-airport.de/en/flugha ... rasse.html
2020: SFO DFW IAH HOU CLT MEX BIS MIA GUA ORD DTW LGA BOS LHR DUB BFS BHD STN OAK PHL ISP JFK SJC DEN SJU LAS TXL GDL

Noshow

Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:45 pm

Unfortunately there is a high glass wall around it. So it is not a good picture taking place. And it is situated on the central part of the terminal rooftop away from where the runways could be seen and facing to the west (sun...).

Airdolomiti

BER News and Discussion Thread - 2020

Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:05 pm

Aisak wrote:
Any info regarding lounges?
I know BA used to run a Lounge at TXL, will they run their own lounge at BER or will use a thrid party? Since most oneworld carriers at BER (ex-TXL) run non-Schengen flgihts it might make sense to place the lounge after passport control at the non-Schengen area.
Regarding LH and AF, most of their flights and alliance flights are Schengen so I guess they will be located just after security.

The alliance partners not finding a suitable "alliance lounge" will have to search for an agreement with a 3rd party lounge. Any info on who will be setting up a lounge at BER T1/T2?

As has been noted, Lufthansa has its own loungers at the northern end of the main pier of the new terminal.

The airport company runs two other airside lounges, although I have not yet seen any information regarding the specific allocation of airlines. The Tempelhof Lounge at the southern end of the main pier is the bigger one of the two: rather conveniently, it can be accessed both from the Schengen and non-Schengen levels (there is a dedicated passport control at the exit) and has good views of the apron and southern runway.

The smaller Tegel Lounge is adjacent to the LH lounges and I believe it doesn’t have a dedicated passport control, nor does it provide apron views.

If I had to make an educated guess, I would say that BA will use the Tempelhof Lounge as it provides easy access to non-Schengen gates.

Apart from the airside lounges, the airport company also operates a VIP lounge called “Zeitgeist”. It’s located in car park P1, right next to the terminal, and has its own security checks connecting it to the Schengen departure concourse. It’s a paid service that can be booked separately and also includes other options such as private transfer, catering, a conference room and suite. More info is available on the airport website: https://ber.berlin-airport.de/en/cafes- ... 0-vip.html

Noshow

Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:27 pm

Thanks for mentioning. Zeitgeist must have been the former Air Berlin VIP lounge. Or at least about its location. Back then it was intended to be the coolest lounge as it had private direct access from parking lot P1 into the gate-building via some pedestrian bridge. No central check in but private security and everything. Back then I had some higher status with Air Berlin and would have been entitled to use it. A shame it didn't materialize.

Dominion301

Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:26 am

Out of curiosity, will Friday be the last day that SXF will be used as an IATA airport code?

davidjohnson6

Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:48 am

I thought SXF had already ceased to be used, having now been replaced by BER ?

Kent350787

Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:59 am

If people are interested, Patrick edited together a terminal tour from one of the passenger test days in July https://youtu.be/bJg024Ouj0M
S340/J31/146-300/F27/F50/Nord 262/Q100/200/E195/733/734/738/744/762/763/77W/788/789/320/321/332/333/345/359

Airdolomiti

Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:06 am

Dominion301 wrote:
Out of curiosity, will Friday be the last day that SXF will be used as an IATA airport code?

SXF is already history, the code ceased to exist with the switch to winter schedules and was replaced by BER last Sunday.

max999

Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:35 am

https://www.bz-berlin.de/berlin/kolumne ... naufregend

This article is an architecture and design review of BER. Main points: BER is boring, banal, and like an industrial park.
All the things I really like to do are either immoral, illegal, or fattening.

Noshow

Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:18 am

This might be true but is the smallest problem they have. Hopefully it will work flawlessly now.

Dominion301

Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:14 pm

Airdolomiti wrote:
Dominion301 wrote:

SXF is already history, the code ceased to exist with the switch to winter schedules and was replaced by BER last Sunday.

Thanks. Any last flight honours with the IATA SXF code?

Lilienthal

Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:31 am

max999 wrote:
https://www.bz-berlin.de/berlin/kolumne/der-neue-grossflughafen-ber-ist-so-seltsam-klein-und-unaufregend

This article is an architecture and design review of BER. Main points: BER is boring, banal, and like an industrial park.

That "article" is a cheap commentary by the most reprehensible "journalist" of the worst paper we have in Berlin. They know that negativity towards BER gives them clicks, so they're trying to milk that cow as much as possible. His commentary series is literally called "my anger".

Overall impressions, in public and media, have been quite favorable. And having seen the airport in person, I include myself in that category.

Galore

Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:13 pm

Lilienthal wrote:
max999 wrote:
https://www.bz-berlin.de/berlin/kolumne/der-neue-grossflughafen-ber-ist-so-seltsam-klein-und-unaufregend

That "article" is a cheap commentary by the most reprehensible "journalist" of the worst paper we have in Berlin. They know that negativity towards BER gives them clicks, so they're trying to milk that cow as much as possible. His commentary series is literally called "my anger".

Overall impressions, in public and media, have been quite favorable. And having seen the airport in person, I include myself in that category.

I just read the article and I think the tone confirms your opinion. The writer has a beef with BER. Criticizing aesthetics is pointless as tastes differ (I think BER looks great). It does seem rather small though for the price and length of construction so the article does have some points.

Antarius

Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:10 pm

Galore wrote:
Lilienthal wrote:
max999 wrote:

I just read the article and I think the tone confirms your opinion. The writer has a beef with BER. Criticizing aesthetics is pointless as tastes differ (I think BER looks great). It does seem rather small though for the price and length of construction so the article does have some points.

I agree. BER being overpriced, small and underwhelming for 7 billion euros is a given. But yes, decor is personal taste.
2020: SFO DFW IAH HOU CLT MEX BIS MIA GUA ORD DTW LGA BOS LHR DUB BFS BHD STN OAK PHL ISP JFK SJC DEN SJU LAS TXL GDL

Breathe

Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:42 pm

So the day has nearly arrived! A sight many thought would never come.

steveinbc

Berlin Brandenburg to receive first flights on Halloween

Sat Oct 31, 2020 12:24 am

Source: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/dest ... Kp9Q1gW03p

After what has been one of the most protracted design, build and retrofit projects in modern history (almost 30 years), Lufthansa and EasyJet flights will land simultaneously on the airport's parallel runways.

Sadly its in the middle of the pandemic that has devastated the air transportation industry. Nonetheless its a bright spot in an otherwise horrible year of bad news

Congratulations Berlin!
A319 320 321 330 340 380 B707 727 737 747 757 767 777 787 BAe1-11 Trident 1, 2, 3B Viscount Lancaster VC10 HS748, ATP DHC-1, 3 Dash-8 Dash-400 Shorts 330 360 Embraer Banderiante Brasileria 175 190 BAe146 Saab 200 DC-3 -8 -9 -10 MD-11 ATR42-72

Heinkel

Sat Oct 31, 2020 1:33 pm

Nine years and one day late.

First proposal for opening was 30th of October 2011.

Now in reality it was 31st of October 2020.

http://www.spiegel.de/wirtschaft/unternehmen/berlin-flughafen-ber-eroeffnet-mit-neun-jahren-verspaetung-a-f5648c1b-558f-4529-93e4-554ef0de0088

Because of bad weather, the proposed parallel landing of the EasyJet and the LH plane on both runways at the same time was cancelled. So they landed four minutes apart. EasyJet flight 3110 first.

Airdolomiti

Sat Oct 31, 2020 1:36 pm

Hard to believe this day has arrived. Hello from Terminal 1!

miegapele

Sat Oct 31, 2020 1:46 pm

Oddly used old runway to land, and it was foggy so no simultaneous landing.
Also does anybody know what other two easyjet planes were doing?

Airdolomiti

Sat Oct 31, 2020 1:56 pm

miegapele wrote:
Oddly used old runway to land, and it was foggy so no simultaneous landing.
Also does anybody know what other two easyjet planes were doing?

Note that that southern runway won’t start operations until November 4. A special one-off permit had been granted for today’s (eventually scrapped) parallel landing.

There are also a couple of U2 ferry flights taking place today, as all U2 operations move to BER tonight.

Plus, of course, several stored aircraft.

lhrnue

Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:00 pm

Congratulations to Easyjet for winning the the 'biggest NEO logo' competition.

Breathe

Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:41 pm

Like the Titanic arriving in New York City in Ghostbusters 2 - "Better late than never!" :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g42EG7LD1UY

Welcome BER! :wave:

Martinairger

Berlin Brandenburg Airport (BER) opening

Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:52 pm

Her some impressions from the yesterday BER airport opening: https://www.mach-photos.com/single-post/opening-of-the-new-berlin-brandenburg-airport-ber

dangerhere

Sun Nov 01, 2020 3:00 pm

A warning to anyone travelling from central Berlin out to BER (particularly catching a flight). Deutsche Bahn is incorrecting showing Terminal 1 + 2 for the RE7 train (destination Wünsdorf Waldstadt). This error is showing in station, on board and on website. In reality, this train only stops at terminal 5. The train I was on earlier did this, and then emptied out with many people onboad to check out the new terminal, about 20 km away in Blankenfelde. Several actual travellers got stuck there and unless you have a taxi phone number you are in trouble (next train towards BER was 90 mins later).

PSAatSAN4Ever

Sun Nov 01, 2020 3:40 pm

Lilienthal wrote:
max999 wrote:

The article and its description of "boring and banal" brought to mind every bad stereotype of what we in America disparagingly referred to as "Euro-trash": a chain smoking, sneering European (always claiming to be an artist), where nothing was ever of interest, and ennui was always in fashion. Mike Myers parodied this on Saturday Night Live with the supposed German MTV-in-the-1980's kids' dance show "Sprockets", with everyone dressed entirely in black with requisite slicked-back hair, like they were all coming from a Kraftwerk concert. One episode was styled like "American Bandstand", with the "kids" rating the music. All without smiles, one judged a song as "bourgeois and banal" as achingly bored as she could.

That was the article to me. But then again, I was impressed with the YouTube video of the test run, so I'm biased.

dangerhere

Sun Nov 01, 2020 3:57 pm

dangerhere wrote:
A warning to anyone travelling from central Berlin out to BER (particularly catching a flight). Deutsche Bahn is incorrecting showing Terminal 1 + 2 for the RE7 train (destination Wünsdorf Waldstadt). This error is showing in station, on board and on website. In reality, this train only stops at terminal 5. The train I was on earlier did this, and then emptied out with many people onboad to check out the new terminal, about 20 km away in Blankenfelde. Several actual travellers got stuck there and unless you have a taxi phone number you are in trouble (next train towards BER was 90 mins later).

Deutsche Bahn replied to me that the train dirverted, which is fine apart from the lack of on board information about same. Irks that train manager in true DB style announced BER Terminal 5 as Flughafen Schönefeld Terminal 5...

Revelation

Sun Nov 01, 2020 4:28 pm

Antarius wrote:
I agree. BER being overpriced, small and underwhelming for 7 billion euros is a given.

Despite the flaws, the end result is an airport well connected to mass transit, something we in the US often neglect. It is often the last mile that is the most costly, so we in the US end up with half-solutions such as you see at EWR, JFK, IAD, etc. Some times it is just best to bite the bullet and deal with the hit right up front rather than dealing with decades of inconvenience. But man, EUR 7B and so many major delays is quite a bullet to take.

ua900 wrote:
Aside from lines of people at the elevator bank waiting to go down, people with luggage, strollers, wheelchairs, etc. will also want to go up using the elevators. Getting in and out of elevators takes time. It's not uncommon that people do the Harlem shuffle because people who are already inside are trying to make room for an old person with a luggage cart, prevent a family from getting separated, etc. There's a lot to be said about throughput capacity and chokepoints, whether that's a security checkpoint, a check-in area, or some other transit area. The idea is to increase capacity as much as possible while minimizing all areas where traffic jams could occur. Well, in most airports around the world, anyway :roll:

Maybe they will learn from Japan Rail and hire strong men with white gloves to push people into the elevator till it is 100% to capacity or beyond?
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

SCQ83

Sun Nov 01, 2020 4:42 pm

PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:
Lilienthal wrote:
max999 wrote:

The article and its description of "boring and banal" brought to mind every bad stereotype of what we in America disparagingly referred to as "Euro-trash": a chain smoking, sneering European (always claiming to be an artist), where nothing was ever of interest, and ennui was always in fashion. Mike Myers parodied this on Saturday Night Live with the supposed German MTV-in-the-1980's kids' dance show "Sprockets", with everyone dressed entirely in black with requisite slicked-back hair, like they were all coming from a Kraftwerk concert. One episode was styled like "American Bandstand", with the "kids" rating the music. All without smiles, one judged a song as "bourgeois and banal" as achingly bored as she could.

In videos and pictures, the airport looks indeed boring and banal. It reminds me of some of those old-fashioned main train stations in Germany with low-ceilings in the shop areas, like Köln or Düsseldorf. Berlin HbF seems much fancier and lighter than the new BER.

I am not surprised of people in Berlin happy about it anyway. After years of suffering overcrowded and disgusting SXF and TXL, anything clean and new would seem like a huge step forward.

There is nothing wrong about a boring and banal airport, but a 9-year delay for this? It is not something like PKX Daxing. By the looks of it, it could have been Pyongyang's new airport and it would have been opened in due time.

steman

Sun Nov 01, 2020 5:09 pm

SCQ83 wrote:

In videos and pictures, the airport looks indeed boring and banal. It reminds me of some of those old-fashioned main train stations in Germany with low-ceilings in the shop areas, like Köln or Düsseldorf. Berlin HbF seems much fancier and lighter than the new BER.

I am not surprised of people in Berlin happy about it anyway. After years of suffering overcrowded and disgusting SXF and TXL, anything clean and new would seem like a huge step forward.

There is nothing wrong about a boring and banal airport, but a 9-year delay for this? It is not something like PKX Daxing. By the looks of it, it could have been Pyongyang's new airport and it would have been opened in due time.

I´m no expert in architecture but to me BER looks a lot like Berlin Central Railway Station (Berlin HBF). It´s the same design language. Overall in Berlin new buildings are coming up, which are modern, yes, functional, but totally lacking in style and soul. They are boring. They are the ugly brutal steel and concrete monstrosity of tomorrow, like those of the 70s we are left with now. I don´t know if this is a trend, a specific architecture school or whatever; in my opinion they all look the same, soulless and boring. There are few exceptions, like the Cube and the Futurium and even the new Schloss (Royal Palace) but BER in my eyes is a missed chance to create a Landmark and an exciting first impression of Berlin to travelers coming by plane. One does not need to build something like Beijing Capital or Daxing. Or the wavy Terminals of Seoul and other Asian cities. There are good examples in Europe, LHR T5 and T2, Madrid T4 just to name a couple.

However, BER is a million times better than either TXL and SXF and I am very happy it finally opened. It will be a huge improvement in the overall travel experience for Berliners and visitors alike and hopefully it will be expanded to cope with future growth.
Due to the Corona Pandemic I haven´t flown in months but my next flight will be from BER and I´m really looking forward to it.

ricq

Sun Nov 01, 2020 5:59 pm

Looks very nice to me. Simple and understated. Elegant not showy.

https://www.archdaily.com/950522/berlin ... brandt-gmp

marcogr12

Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:51 pm

I don;t know why but it reminds me of the Kanzleramt..
Flying is breathing..no planes no life..

AaronPGH

Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:54 pm

ricq wrote:

Agreed. I think this is an airport that will age well (already has).

miegapele

Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:00 pm

ricq wrote:

Photos only show check in area, that is fine. However in videos at the gates areas/shops it looks worse. Low ceiling and those rectangular columns looks like old 80's office building. Let's hope camera deceives me and it's better in real life.

SCQ83

Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:52 pm

miegapele wrote:
ricq wrote:

Photos only show check in area, that is fine. However in videos at the gates areas/shops it looks worse. Low ceiling and those rectangular columns looks like old 80's office building. Let's hope camera deceives me and it's better in real life.

The train station (3:50) is grimy. It looks like out of the DDR.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIziRvGtb5o

And the lack of escalators everywhere!

Noray

Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:12 pm

miegapele wrote:
ricq wrote:

In the video, the shops weren't open yet. It will be as bright as most other shopping malls once the shops open their shutters and switch on the lights.

Lilienthal

Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:20 pm

marcogr12 wrote:

Me neither. Completely different design language.

Kilopond

Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:54 pm

Lilienthal wrote:
marcogr12 wrote:

Are you both sure? I mean, the BER is rather inspired by the old chanceller bangalow style, here is a loyalty-free pic from wiki: Image

Also, the decades-old New National Gallery is from the same breed of glass pavillions with oversized flat roofs:

Noray

Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:48 am

Kilopond wrote:
Lilienthal wrote:
marcogr12 wrote:

Are you both sure? I mean, the BER is rather inspired by the old chanceller bangalow style, here is a loyalty-free pic from wiki: Image

Also, the decades-old New National Gallery is from the same breed of glass pavillions with oversized flat roofs:

That old chancellor's bungalow is in Bonn and wouldn't be a good model for Berlin. However, Mies van der Rohe's New National Gallery is one of Berlin's iconic buildings, it makes sense that it served as an inspiration for the airport.

lightsaber

Mon Nov 02, 2020 2:39 am

Is there yet a trip report? I'd like to know how the airport performed day 1 and 2. Ok, not the biggest challenge, but we have waited so long for the new airport to open.

Lightsaber
Winter is coming.

oldJoe

Mon Nov 02, 2020 3:17 am

lightsaber wrote:
Is there yet a trip report? I'd like to know how the airport performed day 1 and 2. Ok, not the biggest challenge, but we have waited so long for the new airport to open.

Lightsaber

Sorry Sir : what you expect of two aircrafts landing and one departing ? The 5000 pax mostlikely departed of the socalled T5 ( ex-SXF )

Airdolomiti

Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:46 am

SCQ83 wrote:

No, it doesn’t. It looks perfectly generic and sterile, like any other DB station in the country. You want grimy, then go to the station at Terminal 5 for some authentic DDR charm.

oldJoe wrote:
lightsaber wrote:

Lightsaber

Sorry Sir : what you expect of two aircrafts landing and one departing ? The 5000 pax mostlikely departed of the socalled T5 ( ex-SXF )

Day one (31 October) saw a grand total of 5 (five) commercial arrivals at T1 in the evening. There were 23 departures and around the same number of arrivals on Sunday 1 November, with around 3,000 pax handled at T1, in addition to those at T5.

Lilienthal

Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:32 am

Kilopond wrote:
Lilienthal wrote:
marcogr12 wrote:

Well, if we talk about the Kanzleramt (Federal Chancellery), then there's little resemblance other than the walls being vertical:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_C ... ry_(Berlin)

Mies van der Rohe's New National Gallery was indeed an inspiration for BER.

oldJoe

Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:49 am

Airdolomiti wrote:
SCQ83 wrote:

No, it doesn’t. It looks perfectly generic and sterile, like any other DB station in the country. You want grimy, then go to the station at Terminal 5 for some authentic DDR charm.

oldJoe wrote:
lightsaber wrote:

Lightsaber

Day one (31 October) saw a grand total of 5 (five) commercial arrivals at T1 in the evening. There were 23 departures and around the same number of arrivals on Sunday 1 November, with around 3,000 pax handled at T1, in addition to those at T5.

The airport claimed 5000 pax at day one and 5 arrivals comercial arrivals you claim , sorry something don`t add up ! Even if there was 5 A380s , this numbers are fare fatched ! Face reality , this airport was and is a nightnare and the opening date at halloween says alot

a

SCQ83

Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:30 am

Out of curiosity I was checking the list of shops and it is extremely short. https://ber.berlin-airport.de/de/cafes-shops-service/

Not that I am a big fan of airport shops (and I wonder who buys a Moncler coat or a Rolex in an airport) but it is extremely limited nonetheless. The list of chain shops is limited to Esprit, Marc O'Polo, GANT, Wolford, Swatch and LEGO. And then of course all those Relay and Heinemann Duty Free.

I think it gives an idea of how this airport is seen. Pretty much like a third-tier airport. Even Ryanair airports like BGY or STN in Europe have a more extensive and diverse list of stores. I was not expecting Gucci, Bulgari or Hermes like FRA or MUC, but there is not even an Hugo Boss store which is a staple in Germany.

Lilienthal

Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:42 am

oldJoe wrote:
Airdolomiti wrote:
SCQ83 wrote:

oldJoe wrote:

The airport claimed 5000 pax at day one and 5 arrivals comercial arrivals you claim , sorry something don`t add up ! Even if there was 5 A380s , this numbers are fare fatched ! Face reality , this airport was and is a nightnare and the opening date at halloween says alot

a

23 take offs and landings at T1, and 3000 pax at both T1 and T5.

https://www.zeit.de/news/2020-11/01/hoh ... .google.de

But these are Corona numbers anyway so who cares...

Airdolomiti

Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:29 am

SCQ83 wrote:
Out of curiosity I was checking the list of shops and it is extremely short. https://ber.berlin-airport.de/de/cafes-shops-service/

Not that I am a big fan of airport shops (and I wonder who buys a Moncler coat or a Rolex in an airport) but it is extremely limited nonetheless. The list of chain shops is limited to Esprit, Marc O'Polo, GANT, Wolford, Swatch and LEGO. And then of course all those Relay and Heinemann Duty Free.

I think it gives an idea of how this airport is seen. Pretty much like a third-tier airport. Even Ryanair airports like BGY or STN in Europe have a more extensive and diverse list of stores. I was not expecting Gucci, Bulgari or Hermes like FRA or MUC, but there is not even an Hugo Boss store which is a staple in Germany.

Aside from the usual Heinemann duty paid/duty free shop, once you are in the central shopping area there is a separate, and a fairly large, multibrand store with more upscale brands such as Hugo Boss. It is also managed by Heinemann.

dazeflight

Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:46 am

SCQ83 wrote:

The list on the website does not seem complete, also, a few shops are not going to open immediately due to the delays (a few tenants didn't survive, other's like local watch brand Askania or the Lausitzer Schokoladenmanufaktur decided to step away) and Covid-19. In any case, what exactly is so desirable about exchangeable big brand chain stores? There's explicitely a comparably high share of regional food & shop options be it the Ampelmann store, the castle & museums or the Spreewald shop, local boutiques (which, surprise, surprise, tend to offer big brands as well) or outlets of restaurants like Lutter & Wegner or StäV (supposedly, there's also going to be a Borchardt). Those might of course be more interesting to the visitors, while locals will be happy about normal-prized REWE in the U1 circulation area. When traffic picks up, you can expect more openings, hopefully not just by those big brand chains.
Last edited by dazeflight on Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:54 am, edited 3 times in total.

Airdolomiti

Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:48 am

oldJoe wrote:
Airdolomiti wrote:

oldJoe wrote:

a

The airport claimed that 5,000 pax were expected on the first day of regular operations with arrivals and departures. That day was Sunday 1 November. It had already been known, and communicated, well in advance that on 31 October there would be only a few commercial arrivals in the evening, which clearly could not have added up to 5,000 pax.

Also, 5,000 was the initially expected figure. Actual numbers were lower (around 3,000), as stated by the airport company. The first departure alone (BER-LGW at 6.45am on Sunday) had quite a few no-shows, likely owing to lockdowns in countries across Europe.

T4thH

Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:13 pm

Airdolomiti wrote:
oldJoe wrote:
Airdolomiti wrote:

a

The airport claimed that 5,000 pax were expected on the first day of regular operations with arrivals and departures. That day was Sunday 1 November. It had already been known, and communicated, well in advance that on 31 October there would be only a few commercial arrivals in the evening, which clearly could not have added up to 5,000 pax.

Also, 5,000 was the initially expected figure. Actual numbers were lower (around 3,000), as stated by the airport company. The first departure alone (BER-LGW at 6.45am on Sunday) had quite a few no-shows, likely owing to lockdowns in countries across Europe.

Sorry, please define "first day of regular operations" correctly. Please especially check the definition of "regular", as the German language is a little bit more difficult than the English one. There is a reason, why Google Translator is able to translate any global language into English and the text is pretty well understand able. Do the same from German to any other or any other to German and you will get a nice pile of "shit". Especially to do forward/backward translations.....

Pretty sure someone has tried to translate "regulär (regulaer)" to "regular"... LOL, idiots will never die.

BER is still not fully open, second runway is still closed, not all airlines have moved from Tegel to BER, this will be done /completed in next days.

First "regulärer" day will mean: first day after day, when transfer of all airline operations (civil) to BER has been completed.

Airdolomiti

Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:07 pm

T4thH wrote:
Sorry, please define "first day of regular operations" correctly. [...]

BER is still not fully open, second runway is still closed, not all airlines have moved from Tegel to BER, this will be done /completed in next days.

First "regulärer" day will mean: first day after day, when transfer of all airline operations (civil) to BER has been completed.

Yes, legally BER will only be fully commissioned once the southern runway opens this Wednesday, and yes, only a handful of airlines have moved so far. For the sake of clarity, let's call Sunday the first day with both commercial arrivals and departures as opposed to only arrivals (I'm leaving out Saturday's LH2021 BER-MUC on purpose). Those familiar with the matter are well aware that there are still a few more steps to go.