loisencroach
Topic Author
Posts: 611
Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2005 3:56 am

Does DHL service Pyongyang FNJ?

Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:56 am

They have a ground network in North Korea and would assume they would have to operate some air service but I've never seen a photo of anything other than Air China/Air Koryo/VIP aircraft.

http://www.dhl.com/en/kp/country_profil ... press.html
 
Antarius
Posts: 1762
Joined: Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:27 pm

Re: Does DHL service Pyongyang FNJ?

Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:06 am

I believe they use Air Koryo aircraft to transport in and out. Also Air China (from PEK, but that route is now suspended)
19:SIN HKG NRT DFW IAH HOU CLT LGA JFK SFO SJC EWR SNA EYW MIA BOG LAX ORD DTW OAK PVG BOS DCA IAD ATL LAS BIS CUN PHX SYD CVG PHL MAD ORY CDG SLC SJU BQN MHT YYZ STS DOH BLR KTM MFM MEX MSY BWI BNA
 
User avatar
NWAROOSTER
Posts: 1241
Joined: Mon Feb 14, 2005 2:29 pm

Re: Does DHL service Pyongyang FNJ?

Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:29 am

In the link supplied by the OP DHL Express Import Guidelines, I noticed cash letters, cheques of any type, and credit cards including blanks have the notation "NI". What does that mean? Anyone know? :old:
Procrastination Is The Theft Of Time.......
 
User avatar
Slash787
Posts: 930
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:37 pm

Re: Does DHL service Pyongyang FNJ?

Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:38 am

NWAROOSTER wrote:
In the link supplied by the OP DHL Express Import Guidelines, I noticed cash letters, cheques of any type, and credit cards including blanks have the notation "NI". What does that mean? Anyone know? :old:


A negotiable instrument (NI) is a document guaranteeing the payment of a specific amount of money, either on demand, or at a set time, with the payer usually named on the document. More specifically, it is a document contemplated by or consisting of a contract, which promises the payment of money without condition, which may be paid either on demand or at a future date. :twocents:
 
blueflyer
Posts: 4121
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 4:17 am

Re: Does DHL service Pyongyang FNJ?

Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:04 am

I don't believe all the items in the list are negotiable instruments (blank credit cards, canceled checks) but I could certainly be wrong.

NI is Non-Insurable, meaning the shipper cannot purchase additional insurance above the standard DHL liability. The items labeled NI are non-insurable through most/all the DHL network, it is a bit of a moot point for the country as all shipments to/from the DPRK are non-insurable afaik.
The Trump/Johnson special relationship: Special people on both sides of the Atlantic
 
oldannyboy
Posts: 2421
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:28 am

Re: Does DHL service Pyongyang FNJ?

Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:51 am

DHL certainly delivers there - I regularly send work related documents there (Pyongyang), but I am not sure whether they have actual DHL staff in-situ..? maybe? I would assume they would simply use either ground transportation from mainland China, or the Air Koryo flights from Beijing.
 
User avatar
conaly
Posts: 336
Joined: Mon May 30, 2005 10:50 pm

Re: Does DHL service Pyongyang FNJ?

Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:46 am

I assume they get in via cargo with an Air Koryo flight. I've been to North Korea in October for a week. During checking in PEK there where a few guys, who checked in A LOT of luggage. Must have bee around 20 carts, each with 2-3 big, wrapped boxes. I could image some of them also had some DHL-packages inside.
Airports 2019: ADB, ALG, AMD, ATL, BOS, CTS, DEL, DTW, DUS, EWR, FRA, FUK, HAM, HIJ, HND, IST, JFK, MUC, NGO, NUE, OKA, PHL, SIN, STN, YYZ
Planned 2019: BOG, CDG, FRA, HFT, HVG, MUC, NUE, TOS, ZRH
 
PanHAM
Posts: 9731
Joined: Fri May 06, 2005 6:44 pm

Re: Does DHL service Pyongyang FNJ?

Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:56 am

These guys are on board couriers, besides value cargo the most expensive way to ship freigth. The recipients could not care less about costs.
Was Erlauben Erdogan!!!
 
User avatar
LOWS
Posts: 1335
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:37 am

Re: Does DHL service Pyongyang FNJ?

Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:29 pm

loisencroach wrote:
They have a ground network in North Korea and would assume they would have to operate some air service but I've never seen a photo of anything other than Air China/Air Koryo/VIP aircraft.


As in, DHL trucks are running around NK? Also, I assumed the UN sanctions on NK had basically shut down imports/exports?
 
VSMUT
Posts: 3150
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:40 am

Re: Does DHL service Pyongyang FNJ?

Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:26 pm

FedEx, DHL and UPS often have agreements with local postal services in countries where they don't have any operations themselves. In this case, I would expect the North Korean postal services to take over the handling of the packages at the airport in Pyongyang.
 
VSMUT
Posts: 3150
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:40 am

Re: Does DHL service Pyongyang FNJ?

Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:32 pm

In fact, since DHL is the German national postal service, they probably just handle it through the Universal Postal Union, of which both Germany and North Korea are members.
 
User avatar
XAM2175
Posts: 1156
Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:25 pm

Re: Does DHL service Pyongyang FNJ?

Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:09 pm

VSMUT wrote:
In fact, since DHL is the German national postal service, they probably just handle it through the Universal Postal Union, of which both Germany and North Korea are members.

The closest that DHL Express comes to being the "German national postal service" is that it is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Deutsche Post DHL Group, which is a trade name of Deutsche Post AG and is the fully-privatized successor to the federally-owned Deutsche Bundespost. EU regulation has drastically diluted the concept of "national" postal services anyway, which is how PostNL can operate mail services in Germany and Deutsche Post can in Britain, amongst others.

In any case, the UPU is co-ordinating body between nations and undertakes no logistical operations of its own. Items of mail sent from Germany to North Korea would be subject to UPU regulations and agreements, but they would have nothing to do with items outside normal postal service, which is most of DHL's business.
 
evanb
Posts: 831
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:26 pm

Re: Does DHL service Pyongyang FNJ?

Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:40 pm

LOWS wrote:
As in, DHL trucks are running around NK? Also, I assumed the UN sanctions on NK had basically shut down imports/exports?


DHL are not the sanctions busting type. It would include a lot of documents as well as diplomatic and UN related goods.
 
User avatar
LOWS
Posts: 1335
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:37 am

Re: Does DHL service Pyongyang FNJ?

Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:44 am

evanb wrote:
LOWS wrote:
As in, DHL trucks are running around NK? Also, I assumed the UN sanctions on NK had basically shut down imports/exports?


DHL are not the sanctions busting type. It would include a lot of documents as well as diplomatic and UN related goods.


That's what I figured, I was just surprised they had any business there at all.
 
VSMUT
Posts: 3150
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:40 am

Re: Does DHL service Pyongyang FNJ?

Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:56 pm

XAM2175 wrote:
VSMUT wrote:
In fact, since DHL is the German national postal service, they probably just handle it through the Universal Postal Union, of which both Germany and North Korea are members.

The closest that DHL Express comes to being the "German national postal service" is that it is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Deutsche Post DHL Group, which is a trade name of Deutsche Post AG and is the fully-privatized successor to the federally-owned Deutsche Bundespost. EU regulation has drastically diluted the concept of "national" postal services anyway, which is how PostNL can operate mail services in Germany and Deutsche Post can in Britain, amongst others.


I've had packages and mail from DHL Express delivered by national postal companies in many countries, so it does happen, and they do interlink with the parent company.

XAM2175 wrote:
In any case, the UPU is co-ordinating body between nations and undertakes no logistical operations of its own. Items of mail sent from Germany to North Korea would be subject to UPU regulations and agreements, but they would have nothing to do with items outside normal postal service, which is most of DHL's business.


Of course the UPU doesn't ship anything, but the UPU does require that all signatories treat mail equally. The UPU agreements essentially force the North Korean postal service to handle whatever DHL sends their way. DHL Express just has to transfer the mail to DHL before sending it to North Korea.
 
YLWbased
Posts: 894
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:09 pm

Re: Does DHL service Pyongyang FNJ?

Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:33 pm

LOWS wrote:
loisencroach wrote:
They have a ground network in North Korea and would assume they would have to operate some air service but I've never seen a photo of anything other than Air China/Air Koryo/VIP aircraft.


As in, DHL trucks are running around NK? Also, I assumed the UN sanctions on NK had basically shut down imports/exports?


Yes, one shows up almost every morning in the hotel I stayed in on my last visit.

YLWbased
Hong Kong is not China. Not better or worse, just different.
 
cedarjet
Posts: 8526
Joined: Mon May 24, 1999 1:12 am

Re: Does DHL service Pyongyang FNJ?

Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:17 pm

You will see a DHL van crossing Kim Il Sung Square in this charming video of Pyongyang
https://youtu.be/CKRidQJQLrs
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz
 
SCQ83
Posts: 5418
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:32 pm

Re: Does DHL service Pyongyang FNJ?

Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:48 pm

Does Amazon.kp offer same day delivery in Pyongyang?
 
artofzen
Posts: 134
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:38 am

Re: Does DHL service Pyongyang FNJ?

Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:05 pm

SCQ83 wrote:
Does Amazon.kp offer same day delivery in Pyongyang?

Yes, for gender-neutral clothing only .

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos