Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

cumulushumilis
Topic Author

WestJet Expands Network with Capacity Purchase Agreement with Pacific Coastal

Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:39 pm

WestJet's network just expanded to Lethbridge, Medicine Hat, Prince George, Lloydminster and Cranbrook with a capacity purchase agreement using Pacific Coastal Saab 340 aircraft with a new partnership known as WestJet Link.

https://www.westjet.com/en-ca/travel-info/flight-info/flight-schedules/new?sm_cid=social:routes:2017release-westjet-link:twitter

Interesting times in the west!!

Leslieville

Re: WestJet Expands Network with Capacity Purchase Agreement with Pacific Coastal

Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:06 pm

Interesting news.

I can see WestJet continuing to build capacity to tertiary markets and using its secondary airports served by Encore and limited mainline service as "rural hubs".

Dominion301

Re: WestJet Expands Network with Capacity Purchase Agreement with Pacific Coastal

Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:14 pm

YQL and YXH will see their first real competitor to AC since the days of CP.

YQL, YXH and YXC are all 3x daily SF3s, while YLL is 6x/week.

WS truly is the new CP and WS now have a tier III partner in the west. You gotta think they'll do the same in the east eventually to feed YYZ from the likes of YYB, YZR and YGK. The thing is, who in the east is available to do so? Bearskin? Pascan? Would Chorus Aviation ever betray AC and use their Voyageur subsidiary to strike up a CPA with WS?

I wonder whether they'll paint a couple of Pac Coastal aircraft in full WS livery or they'll simply get a sticker?

marktci

Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:31 pm

Dominion301 wrote:

I wonder whether they'll paint a couple of Pac Coastal aircraft in full WS livery or they'll simply get a sticker?

According to this link, they'll be painted in WS colours. So I assume full livery.

http://vancouversun.com/pmn/news-pmn/ca ... 1c62a69330

northstardc4m

Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:32 pm

Dominion301 wrote:
YQL and YXH will see their first real competitor to AC since the days of CP.

YQL, YXH and YXC are all 3x daily SF3s, while YLL is 6x/week.

WS truly is the new CP and WS now have a tier III partner in the west. You gotta think they'll do the same in the east eventually to feed YYZ from the likes of YYB, YZR and YGK. The thing is, who in the east is available to do so? Bearskin? Pascan? Would Chorus Aviation ever betray AC and use their Voyageur subsidiary to strike up a CPA with WS?

there are other options beyond Chorus they can look at... Any of the EIC owned airlines: Bearskin, Perimeter, Calm Air and/or Keewatin Air for example... or Transwest, or Pascan, or Air Creebec or Air Inuit, etc...
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Noise

Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:52 pm

Good news for these smaller western Canadian cities.

Whiteguy

Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:02 pm

cumulushumilis wrote:
WestJet's network just expanded to Lethbridge, Medicine Hat, Prince George, Lloydminster and Cranbrook with a capacity purchase agreement using Pacific Coastal Saab 340 aircraft with a new partnership known as WestJet Link.

https://www.westjet.com/en-ca/travel-info/flight-info/flight-schedules/new?sm_cid=social:routes:2017release-westjet-link:twitter

YXS has been in the Westjet network for a while now, just not directly from YYC.

ACDC8

Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:23 pm

I can see this replacing a lot of Encore Q400 flights just as they replaced a lot of B737 flights.
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

mtnwest1979

Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:44 pm

Looking at WestJet route map ( although there are never any routes shown, so why call it something it doesn't offer? lol) nice to see how far they have come in the last few years.
Riddle: Which lasts longer, a start-up airline or a start-up football league?

F27500

Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:14 pm

Right .. a commuter carrier feeding a low-fare carrier. That'll go well .. lets give this about 8 months,

iseeyyc

Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:40 pm

F27500 wrote:
Right .. a commuter carrier feeding a low-fare carrier. That'll go well .. lets give this about 8 months,

You are confusing low-cost and low-fare. I take it you do not live in Canada.

whywhyzee

Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:17 am

F27500 wrote:

I take it you haven’t payed any attention to Westjet has done in the past 5 years...

Westjet is not a low fare, or low cost carrier. WestJet is a hybrid carrier transitioning into a full service carrier. It’s omly logical that they grow their network. Canada needs this type of teamwork amongst regional carriers and airlines, there are a lot of people who would really benefit from such services, and with all of their faults, Canadian carriers do occasionally stick up for Canadians.

Dominion301

Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:37 am

ACDC8 wrote:
I can see this replacing a lot of Encore Q400 flights just as they replaced a lot of B737 flights.

Very few Q400 replacements were a downgauge in capacity though. In the majority of cases WS replaced 1 737 with 2 Q400s to increase flight frequencies with a minimal change in capacity.

Whiteguy wrote:
cumulushumilis wrote:

YXS has been in the Westjet network for a while now, just not directly from YYC.

YXS has been in the WS network since the airline’s early days. They have flown YXS-YYC in the past with 737s, but clearly that was too much aircraft for the route (I think they even made a second attempt with the Q400). Evidently there’s demand for service on this route, but this will be the right size aircraft.

Jean Leloup

Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:54 am

I have nothing against the Saab*, but I think this may be a bit of a bumpy ride for WS pax from a passenger experience standpoint. Buying a Westjet flight and ending up on a very old and noisy commuter may be jarring for those unfortunate souls who are not AvGeeks. I am not sure how WS will be able to offer the right 'experience'. Not a big deal from Cranbrook, Medicne Hat or Lethbridge, but Lloyd and PG - boy, those could seem like long flights.

Of course, the same is true on AC's tertiary partners, but frankly, those markets are usd to it. This being a new thing for WS could just make for a tricky introduction, I think.

* Hard for me to believe, but my very first turboprop flight was on a Calm Air SF3, YWG - YFO! (Flin Flon, MB). Now that I think of it, I wonder whether WS could look for a partner in northern SK or MB as well. Not as many people or money in those areas, however, and they are too far from YYC. Perhaps we should resurrect the decade-old debate about whether WS will turn YWG into a hub! 8-)
Jean Leloup - original a.net moderator (2001-2005) and still recovering!

767333ER

Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:28 am

iseeyyc wrote:
F27500 wrote:

You are confusing low-cost and low-fare. I take it you do not live in Canada.

Low cost operations generally lead to lower fares, it is the reason low cost airlines seem to do well. WestJet really isn’t low cost anymore so to speak, nor are their fares much if at all lower than competition on average so that really isn’t much of a talking point here. Swoop will be their low cost end.
Been on: 732 733 734 73G 738 752 763 A319 A320 A321 CRJ CR7 CRA/CR9 E145 E175 E190 F28 MD-82 MD-83 C172R C172S P2006T PA-28-180

2 ears for spatial hearing, 2 eyes for depth perception, 2 ears for balance... How did Boeing think 1 sensor was good enough?!

cumulushumilis
Topic Author

Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:06 am

Jean Leloup wrote:
I have nothing against the Saab*, but I think this may be a bit of a bumpy ride for WS pax from a passenger experience standpoint. Buying a Westjet flight and ending up on a very old and noisy commuter may be jarring for those unfortunate souls who are not AvGeeks. I am not sure how WS will be able to offer the right 'experience'. Not a big deal from Cranbrook, Medicne Hat or Lethbridge, but Lloyd and PG - boy, those could seem like long flights.

Of course, the same is true on AC's tertiary partners, but frankly, those markets are usd to it. This being a new thing for WS could just make for a tricky introduction, I think.

* Hard for me to believe, but my very first turboprop flight was on a Calm Air SF3, YWG - YFO! (Flin Flon, MB). Now that I think of it, I wonder whether WS could look for a partner in northern SK or MB as well. Not as many people or money in those areas, however, and they are too far from YYC. Perhaps we should resurrect the decade-old debate about whether WS will turn YWG into a hub! 8-)

IMHO the Saab is a definite upgrade from the days of Air BC operating the Jetstreams and Time Air running the big noisy Convairs on some of these routes. YYC-YXS aside the Saab’s will be far superior to the 1900s that the other guys operate on most of these routes.

Without knowing the particulars of this agreement it seems to me a perfect low risk way of entering the market and possibly giving way to Q400 service in the future. If successful expect to see an expansion of the current partnership or possibly additional capacity agreements. If I were Big Red I would be raising and eyebrow or two considering the 787s are on the horizon to further solidify YYC as an international hub.

Noise

Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:58 pm

I guess this will spur passenger growth at Lethbridge, Medicine Hat an Cranbrook airports. One only needs to look at what happened at Nanaimo once WS entered to get a preview of what's to come at these smaller airports.

RJNUT

Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:03 pm

hopefully this means moving 8P out of YVR's South Terminal and into Main.

ac7e7

Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:59 pm

This is a natural expansion of Westjet into smaller centres which will allow them to feed their larger hubs.

I doubt "Big Red" cares much about this agreement considering they have similar agreements with similar-sized airlines.

There is a limited amount of traffic to/from these cities, and despite talk on this forum about Westjet becoming the next CP, this is nothing more than what it is.

CP focused on business travellers. Westjet needs focus. They seem to want to appeal to business travellers, but need to do better. Air Canada has the lounges, the program, and the frequencies business travellers are looking for. If they really want to appeal to those travellers, they need to much better.

They should focus on what they have been good at all these years.

berari

Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:50 pm

ACDC8 wrote:

I don't think so. I see this as a way to enter new markets that cannot justify the Q400, to build them to just enough to sustain a Q400 on there.

F27500 wrote:

WS is anything but a low-fare carrier. They may push that idea but they strayed from it long ago.

Jean Leloup wrote:

These markets likely command higher fares that even the passengers would welcome being in a bumpy ride in order to be able to afford flying in and out of their communities. I amazes me how many times I fly in late into YYC and come across fellow travelers that have to make a long drive to Medicine Hat or Red Deer once they pick up their vehicles from the parking lots. Also folks in places like Lethbridge weigh their options when traveling, including driving down to Montana instead of up to YYC to hop on a plane. Finally, it's not like WS has a luxurious service, it's one basic outfit. The interior of the Saab matches or meets WS standards anyway: https://imgproc.airliners.net/photos/air ... .jpg?v=v40

32andBelow

Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:11 am

Jean Leloup wrote:

People that live in rural northern communities are used to flying on small aircraft.

Dominion301

Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:19 pm

Noise wrote:
I guess this will spur passenger growth at Lethbridge, Medicine Hat an Cranbrook airports. One only needs to look at what happened at Nanaimo once WS entered to get a preview of what's to come at these smaller airports.

Yep. While WS is by no means a low fare airline any longer, they still do lower fares overall when the enter a route, especially in the higher fare classes. They also provide the added capacity that AC refuses to provided, which artificially lowers demand.

Having said that, east of YYZ, WS are still incredibly weak. When YLW has more WS departures per day than YOW does, you know you're still the 3rd choice in the east in many instances.

cumulushumilis
Topic Author

Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:22 pm

berari wrote:
ACDC8 wrote:

I don't think so. I see this as a way to enter new markets that cannot justify the Q400, to build them to just enough to sustain a Q400 on there.

F27500 wrote:

WS is anything but a low-fare carrier. They may push that idea but they strayed from it long ago.

Jean Leloup wrote:

These markets likely command higher fares that even the passengers would welcome being in a bumpy ride in order to be able to afford flying in and out of their communities. I amazes me how many times I fly in late into YYC and come across fellow travelers that have to make a long drive to Medicine Hat or Red Deer once they pick up their vehicles from the parking lots. Also folks in places like Lethbridge weigh their options when traveling, including driving down to Montana instead of up to YYC to hop on a plane. Finally, it's not like WS has a luxurious service, it's one basic outfit. The interior of the Saab matches or meets WS standards anyway: https://imgproc.airliners.net/photos/air ... .jpg?v=v40

The WS/Pasco SF340 will be much more luxurious then the Air Georgian 1900s that are currently on these routes. At least the 340 has a lav..

berari

Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:00 pm

Dominion301 wrote:
Noise wrote:

Yep. While WS is by no means a low fare airline any longer, they still do lower fares overall when the enter a route, especially in the higher fare classes. They also provide the added capacity that AC refuses to provided, which artificially lowers demand.

Having said that, east of YYZ, WS are still incredibly weak. When YLW has more WS departures per day than YOW does, you know you're still the 3rd choice in the east in many instances.

It's not about being 3rd choice, it's about lack of traffic. Westjet's roots go back to Western Canada, where it is strong, and only in recent years have they expanded east and gone stronger in the YYZ area. YOW simply doesn't command additional service than YLW for WS. YOW is not as important as YLW for WS, however significant YOW's position is in Canadian geography.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos