Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
flyyul
Topic Author
Posts: 4460
Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2000 11:25 am

Air Canada announces YYZ-OMA/PVD, YUL-PIT/BWI, YEG-SFO, YVR-SMF

Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:30 pm

Nice solid expansion largely with Air Canada express into the US.

Daily YYZ-OMA/PVD CRJ
Daily YUL-BWI/PIT CRJ
Daily YEG-SFO CR9
Daily YVR-SMF CR9

https://aircanada.mediaroom.com/2017-11 ... pring-2018
 
tphuang
Posts: 5440
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:04 pm

Re: Air Canada announces YYZ-OMA/PVD, YUL-PIT/BWI, YEG-SFO, YVR-SMF

Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:38 pm

Really nice expansion. I would imagine a good portion of this will feed international traffic. Can't be that many people going to Omaha from Toronto.
 
User avatar
dabpit
Posts: 849
Joined: Tue May 01, 2012 10:19 am

Re: Air Canada announces YYZ-OMA/PVD, YUL-PIT/BWI, YEG-SFO, YVR-SMF

Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:57 pm

Wow nice expansion from AC!
Carpe Diem
 
joeljack
Posts: 656
Joined: Fri Feb 25, 2005 12:38 pm

Re: Air Canada announces YYZ-OMA/PVD, YUL-PIT/BWI, YEG-SFO, YVR-SMF

Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:24 pm

OMA-YYZ!

Omaha's first ever nonstop international service!

http://www.omaha.com/money/eppley-will- ... 5f82d.html

Also the begin date is perfect for the Berkshire annual meeting in Omaha the 1st weekend of May. All flights into Omaha May 2-4th will be 100% full and expensive, all flights out of Omaha the follow Sunday and Monday will also be 100% full and expensive. This weekend prints money for the airlines!
Last edited by joeljack on Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
FSDan
Posts: 3340
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:27 pm

Re: Air Canada announces YYZ-OMA/PVD, YUL-PIT/BWI, YEG-SFO, YVR-SMF

Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:34 pm

tphuang wrote:
Really nice expansion. I would imagine a good portion of this will feed international traffic. Can't be that many people going to Omaha from Toronto.


Just off the top of my head, TD Ameritrade is based in Omaha, and is largely owned by TD Bank of Toronto. That's just one that came to mind (and I'm not sure how much air travel between the two cities that one connection might drive). I'm sure there will be plenty of connecting traffic, though.
This is my signature until I think of a better one.
 
Jean Leloup
Posts: 2004
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2001 10:46 am

Re: Air Canada announces YYZ-OMA/PVD, YUL-PIT/BWI, YEG-SFO, YVR-SMF

Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:38 pm

Wow... some neat little adds there. Many of which, quite frankly, made me say 'huh?' As mentioned by someone above, connections seem like a likely explanation for the most part.. otherwise these seem a bit random.

SFO-YEG seems to be the exception. Minimal connections on the YEG end, and while there are obviously copious connections on UA available at SFO, I'm not sure which ones would be geared to YEG residents. I guess those further south in California or Latin America... but for TransPac you would expect YEGgers would be going through YVR. Perhaps I am overthinking things... everyone loves SFO, so perhaps O/D is the main driver for YEG-SFO.
Jean Leloup - original a.net moderator and still recovering!
 
WaywardMemphian
Posts: 1507
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:05 pm

Re: Air Canada announces YYZ-OMA/PVD, YUL-PIT/BWI, YEG-SFO, YVR-SMF

Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:53 pm

That MEM flight on the 50 seater pulled a mid 80 percent load factor in Oct. Didn't drop too much from the Summer months. They may be finding there's a hunger for alternatives.
 
RJNUT
Posts: 1848
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 1999 1:58 am

Re: Air Canada announces YYZ-OMA/PVD, YUL-PIT/BWI, YEG-SFO, YVR-SMF

Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:00 pm

Speaking of AC transborder, MCI-YYZ has been around quite awhile. The frequency goes to twice daily fall, winter, spring and then once daily summer, It seems counter intuitive, but perhaps capacity is needed elsewhere in summertime. Great adds for above mentioned markets. Omaha has a large Mileage Plus FFB base so that should . YUL offers increasing International options for good connections from USA.
 
runway23
Posts: 2337
Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2005 2:12 am

Re: Air Canada announces YYZ-OMA/PVD, YUL-PIT/BWI, YEG-SFO, YVR-SMF

Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:17 pm

Jean Leloup wrote:
SFO-YEG seems to be the exception. Minimal connections on the YEG end, and while there are obviously copious connections on UA available at SFO, I'm not sure which ones would be geared to YEG residents. I guess those further south in California or Latin America... but for TransPac you would expect YEGgers would be going through YVR. Perhaps I am overthinking things... everyone loves SFO, so perhaps O/D is the main driver for YEG-SFO.


SFO-YEG is the one I think has the greatest chance to succeed and it won't have to rely only on O&D but can also be helped by UA's hub in SFO.

The rest of the routes will depend on the scheduling.

The one I don't really get is YUL-BWI. I kind of get the point of it but at the same time DCA/IAD are right next door, I really wonder what a single daily flight on this market will offer - it kind of seems like a waste of effort.
 
User avatar
SANFan
Posts: 5430
Joined: Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:10 am

Re: Air Canada announces YYZ-OMA/PVD, YUL-PIT/BWI, YEG-SFO, YVR-SMF

Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:19 pm

Nice stuff! And most of the new routes are year-round too!

It's great to see AC continuing to grow their trans-border service to the U.S.

bb
 
FATFlyer
Posts: 5024
Joined: Fri May 18, 2001 4:12 am

Re: Air Canada announces YYZ-OMA/PVD, YUL-PIT/BWI, YEG-SFO, YVR-SMF

Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:47 pm

YVR-SMF is a return of previous service. AC operated flights YVR to Sacramento for 15 months in 2007/2008.

The Sacramento Bee has a couple of quotes that both indicate feeding Europe/Asia connections play a big role in the SMF addition.
http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/article186990348.html
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness." - Mark Twain
 
YYZLGA
Posts: 444
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:28 am

Re: Air Canada announces YYZ-OMA/PVD, YUL-PIT/BWI, YEG-SFO, YVR-SMF

Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:56 pm

The OMA flight doesn't surprise me because of the TD Ameritrade connection, as FSDan mentioned. The brokerage is growing quickly and should provide at least a modest base of business traffic on top of the European connecting traffic that AC is going for.
 
User avatar
ERJ170
Posts: 5908
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2004 11:15 am

Re: Air Canada announces YYZ-OMA/PVD, YUL-PIT/BWI, YEG-SFO, YVR-SMF

Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:03 pm

Nice adds but grrrrre for no YUL-RDU... I would have thought it woulda been high on the list.but congratulations everybody else
Aiming High and going far..
 
amadorE175
Posts: 199
Joined: Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:25 pm

Re: Air Canada announces YYZ-OMA/PVD, YUL-PIT/BWI, YEG-SFO, YVR-SMF

Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:12 pm

Nice to see more international flights and AC back at SMF. The SMF-YVR flight arrives at 1:57pm but it looks, at least right now, like the AC flights to East Asia all leave between 11:00am and 1:00pm so, unless I'm missing something, the timing doesn't really work for those connections.
 
Noise
Posts: 2469
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 1999 7:38 am

Re: Air Canada announces YYZ-OMA/PVD, YUL-PIT/BWI, YEG-SFO, YVR-SMF

Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:07 pm

Nice adds from these Canadian cities. Looking for a YYZ-CHS with AC one day.
 
Dominion301
Posts: 2875
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:48 pm

Re: Air Canada announces YYZ-OMA/PVD, YUL-PIT/BWI, YEG-SFO, YVR-SMF

Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:58 pm

ERJ170 wrote:
Nice adds but grrrrre for no YUL-RDU... I would have thought it woulda been high on the list.but congratulations everybody else


I remember the days of the YOW-RDU "Nortel Shuttle". Evidently that's long gone.

amadorE175 wrote:
Nice to see more international flights and AC back at SMF. The SMF-YVR flight arrives at 1:57pm but it looks, at least right now, like the AC flights to East Asia all leave between 11:00am and 1:00pm so, unless I'm missing something, the timing doesn't really work for those connections.


Here are the flight times for the other new routes:
AC8122 YUL-BWI 1345-1528
AC8123 BWI-YUL 1600-1735
What's odd is when you search for Baltimore on AC's website, it's listed as "Montréal > Washington". That'll confuse more than a few people. Odd that it does not say "Montréal > Baltimore-Washington".

AC8170 YUL-PIT 1400-1540
AC8171 PIT-YUL 1615-1745

AC7378 YYZ-PVD 0955-1139
AC7379 PVD-YYZ 1210-1359

AC7410 YYZ-OMA 1430-1600
AC7411 OMA-YYZ 1630-1950

AC8743 YEG-SFO 1610-1810
AC8744 SFO-YEG 1150-1535
Hmm either AC are going to re-time their 2 daily CRA YYC-SFO flights, have this new YEG-SFO flight operate the evening SFO-YYC with the afternoon YYC-SFO RONing, with a very long RON from 1915 to 1150, or AC are going to add a new CRA flight to SFO out of YVR or add another new destination to SFO (i.e. YYJ or YWG).
 
Noise
Posts: 2469
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 1999 7:38 am

Re: Air Canada announces YYZ-OMA/PVD, YUL-PIT/BWI, YEG-SFO, YVR-SMF

Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:20 pm

Dominion301 wrote:
ERJ170 wrote:
Nice adds but grrrrre for no YUL-RDU... I would have thought it woulda been high on the list.but congratulations everybody else


I remember the days of the YOW-RDU "Nortel Shuttle". Evidently that's long gone.

amadorE175 wrote:
Nice to see more international flights and AC back at SMF. The SMF-YVR flight arrives at 1:57pm but it looks, at least right now, like the AC flights to East Asia all leave between 11:00am and 1:00pm so, unless I'm missing something, the timing doesn't really work for those connections.


Here are the flight times for the other new routes:
AC8122 YUL-BWI 1345-1528
AC8123 BWI-YUL 1600-1735
What's odd is when you search for Baltimore on AC's website, it's listed as "Montréal > Washington". That'll confuse more than a few people. Odd that it does not say "Montréal > Baltimore-Washington".

AC8170 YUL-PIT 1400-1540
AC8171 PIT-YUL 1615-1745

AC7378 YYZ-PVD 0955-1139
AC7379 PVD-YYZ 1210-1359

AC7410 YYZ-OMA 1430-1600
AC7411 OMA-YYZ 1630-1950

AC8743 YEG-SFO 1610-1810
AC8744 SFO-YEG 1150-1535
Hmm either AC are going to re-time their 2 daily CRA YYC-SFO flights, have this new YEG-SFO flight operate the evening SFO-YYC with the afternoon YYC-SFO RONing, with a very long RON from 1915 to 1150, or AC are going to add a new CRA flight to SFO out of YVR or add another new destination to SFO (i.e. YYJ or YWG).


Those flights to YUL are well-timed for connections to Europe.
 
NichCage
Posts: 916
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:43 pm

Re: Air Canada announces YYZ-OMA/PVD, YUL-PIT/BWI, YEG-SFO, YVR-SMF

Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:11 pm

I find it surprising that Air Canada is adding YEG-SFO. They have scaled back there presence in YEG (including cutting LHR for example) and don't even serve cities like LAX and LAS.

Why did UA cut SFO-YEG?
 
yegbey01
Posts: 1370
Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2003 11:04 am

Re: Air Canada announces YYZ-OMA/PVD, YUL-PIT/BWI, YEG-SFO, YVR-SMF

Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:29 pm

The YEG-SFO is a huge surprise. It's one of two things:

1) AC has lost so much market share at YEG in the last few years and with WS continuing expansion at YYC, it may be an indication that they wish to beef up presence there and this is only a low hanging fruit to start with.

or

2) It is simply a subsidized route by the Edmonton Airport to try and meet the local demand. UA flew to YEG for many years (at one point with three dailies), so they know they can easily fill the plane - it's only once a day on an CR705.
 
Dominion301
Posts: 2875
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:48 pm

Re: Air Canada announces YYZ-OMA/PVD, YUL-PIT/BWI, YEG-SFO, YVR-SMF

Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:48 pm

yegbey01 wrote:
The YEG-SFO is a huge surprise. It's one of two things:

1) AC has lost so much market share at YEG in the last few years and with WS continuing expansion at YYC, it may be an indication that they wish to beef up presence there and this is only a low hanging fruit to start with.

or

2) It is simply a subsidized route by the Edmonton Airport to try and meet the local demand. UA flew to YEG for many years (at one point with three dailies), so they know they can easily fill the plane - it's only once a day on an CR705.


Hopefully it's #1. Hopefully it's a sign AC will start paying attention to their non-hub focus cities again after years of cutting seats/ASMs at most of these stations amid their massive hub expansions.
 
GSP psgr
Posts: 719
Joined: Thu Mar 30, 2000 7:09 am

Re: Air Canada announces YYZ-OMA/PVD, YUL-PIT/BWI, YEG-SFO, YVR-SMF

Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:21 pm

Guesses for a next wave of Montreal transborder expansion: ATL (flown pre 9/11 with CRJs), CLE, DTW, and RDU.
 
User avatar
Midwestindy
Posts: 5428
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:56 am

Re: Air Canada announces YYZ-OMA/PVD, YUL-PIT/BWI, YEG-SFO, YVR-SMF

Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:26 pm

Wow, that's awesome for OMA!
Status for 2019/2020: AAdvantage Platinum, Delta Gold, Southwest A-List
 
yeginleduc
Posts: 77
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:12 pm

Re: Air Canada announces YYZ-OMA/PVD, YUL-PIT/BWI, YEG-SFO, YVR-SMF

Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:47 pm

Awesome to see someone back in the YEG-SFO market. i would have thought WS might have tried but AC works as well...

The timing of the flight seems to be a turn on the YEG side of which seems odd as well. The timing of the flight doesnt work well for international connections on the SFO side but works well for regional west coast connections. Although with AC usually using the international terminal, going to T3 and all the UA connections will be a bit of a walk.
 
User avatar
jetblastdubai
Posts: 1981
Joined: Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:23 am

Re: Air Canada announces YYZ-OMA/PVD, YUL-PIT/BWI, YEG-SFO, YVR-SMF

Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:33 am

Midwestindy wrote:
Wow, that's awesome for OMA!


For *A/United FFers, this gives us yet another option for Europe/Middle East connections. ORD and EWR can be irrop-prone so a 3rd gateway is a nice back-up.

Can OMA-IAD be far behind?
 
CIDFlyer
Posts: 2158
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2005 7:19 am

Re: Air Canada announces YYZ-OMA/PVD, YUL-PIT/BWI, YEG-SFO, YVR-SMF

Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:49 am

wow OMA!! Wonder if they will change the name to Eppley International?
 
User avatar
LOWS
Posts: 1335
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:37 am

Re: Air Canada announces YYZ-OMA/PVD, YUL-PIT/BWI, YEG-SFO, YVR-SMF

Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:07 am

It seems like there would be more interest in OKC-YEG for Oil and Gas, but OKC-YYZ would be nice to have.

OKC could finally earn the "World" in "Will Rogers World Airport"
 
Cubsrule
Posts: 14615
Joined: Sat May 15, 2004 12:13 pm

Re: Air Canada announces YYZ-OMA/PVD, YUL-PIT/BWI, YEG-SFO, YVR-SMF

Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:37 am

GSP psgr wrote:
Guesses for a next wave of Montreal transborder expansion: ATL (flown pre 9/11 with CRJs), CLE, DTW, and RDU.


AC hasn’t historically done much flying from YUL to secondary US cities. BDL has stuck around but I don’t think has ever had jets. Other than that it’s big cites and Florida. Hopefully these adds are the beginning of some transborder expansion ex-YUL.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more
 
flyfresno
Posts: 1074
Joined: Tue May 02, 2006 6:18 am

Re: Air Canada announces YYZ-OMA/PVD, YUL-PIT/BWI, YEG-SFO, YVR-SMF

Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:11 am

FATFlyer wrote:
YVR-SMF is a return of previous service. AC operated flights YVR to Sacramento for 15 months in 2007/2008.

The Sacramento Bee has a couple of quotes that both indicate feeding Europe/Asia connections play a big role in the SMF addition.
http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/article186990348.html


The problem with that is this flight doesn’t really connect well in either direction to the largest Asian markets, and only connects one way to Europe. An 8:55am departure from YVR misses most overseas arrivals on AC from either direction, and a 2:00pm arrival back in YVR misses all the big Asian markets. Additionally, the first YYZ arrives right at 8:49am, and YUL is even later. So, it appears the only real domestic connections will be airports in BC and AB, plus YQR, YXE, And YWG. Not bad, but I also feel it could have been timed better (ie a RON).
 
thegoldenargosy
Posts: 618
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:14 am

Re: Air Canada announces YYZ-OMA/PVD, YUL-PIT/BWI, YEG-SFO, YVR-SMF

Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:20 am

Nice to see AC returning to PVD. They pulled out around 2013/2014. When they left, PVD-YYZ was on the B1900. I remember seeing Air Ontario Dash 8s in PVD in the '90s.
 
BoeingGuy
Posts: 6313
Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:01 pm

Re: Air Canada announces YYZ-OMA/PVD, YUL-PIT/BWI, YEG-SFO, YVR-SMF

Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:45 am

AC has restored SMF and SJC. I wonder if they will also return to ONT and SNA.
 
JRL3289
Posts: 68
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:57 pm

Re: Air Canada announces YYZ-OMA/PVD, YUL-PIT/BWI, YEG-SFO, YVR-SMF

Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:49 am

FSDan wrote:
tphuang wrote:
Really nice expansion. I would imagine a good portion of this will feed international traffic. Can't be that many people going to Omaha from Toronto.


Just off the top of my head, TD Ameritrade is based in Omaha, and is largely owned by TD Bank of Toronto. That's just one that came to mind (and I'm not sure how much air travel between the two cities that one connection might drive). I'm sure there will be plenty of connecting traffic, though.


I don't know that TD's 30 percent equity stake in TD Ameritrade would drive a significant amount of YYZ-OMA traffic; that said, finance and insurance are big in both places, so perhaps broader industry ties are bringing the two together?

Not sure what connections they would be going for, based on flight times... which makes this flight all the more intriguing. The eastbound flight arrives too late for most YYZ-Europe connections and the westbound departure leaves YYZ too early for inbound European flights (except London). A quick scan and I see YYZ-DEL/BOM are the only likely intercontinental connections. I suppose the combination of YYZ O/D and domestic Canadian connections to YUL/YQB/YOW/YYT will fill the majority of the plane.
 
Bingo1
Posts: 237
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:12 pm

Re: Air Canada announces YYZ-OMA/PVD, YUL-PIT/BWI, YEG-SFO, YVR-SMF

Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:14 am

My question is this. How can Air Canada make SFO-YEG work when UA couldn't make this routing on a single CRJ flight work feeding their hub at SFO?

On the other hand something's gotta give in Edmonton in regards to their transborder traffic. By my rough calculations they're down to around 55-60% of the transborder seats they were 3-4 years ago.
Planecrzy
 
GSP psgr
Posts: 719
Joined: Thu Mar 30, 2000 7:09 am

Re: Air Canada announces YYZ-OMA/PVD, YUL-PIT/BWI, YEG-SFO, YVR-SMF

Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:51 am

Cubsrule wrote:
GSP psgr wrote:
Guesses for a next wave of Montreal transborder expansion: ATL (flown pre 9/11 with CRJs), CLE, DTW, and RDU.


AC hasn’t historically done much flying from YUL to secondary US cities. BDL has stuck around but I don’t think has ever had jets. Other than that it’s big cites and Florida. Hopefully these adds are the beginning of some transborder expansion ex-YUL.


AC added YUL-DFW not too recently ago, which was stepping out of character for AC a bit. That said, YUL has grown enormously on the transatlantic/transpac front over the past decade or so: Brussels, Geneva, Lyon, Shanghai, Tokyo, Casablanca are on a year round basis not to mention Athens, Bucharest, Dublin, Barcelona, Nice, Lisbon, Marseilles, Venice, Rome, and Tel Aviv in the summers. Being able to offer a wide array of longhaul connections in addition to O&D and Canadian connections puts Montreal in a better place than it has ever been to grow transborder traffic.

While it's never going to be Pearson, there are probably ten or so markets AC could expand to from Montreal: ATL, AUS, CLE, CLT, DTW, MSY, BNA, RDU, SEA, SAN* (seasonally at least).
 
ctrabs0114
Posts: 1101
Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:09 am

Re: Air Canada announces YYZ-OMA/PVD, YUL-PIT/BWI, YEG-SFO, YVR-SMF

Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:41 am

Jean Leloup wrote:
Wow... some neat little adds there. Many of which, quite frankly, made me say 'huh?' As mentioned by someone above, connections seem like a likely explanation for the most part.. otherwise these seem a bit random.

SFO-YEG seems to be the exception. Minimal connections on the YEG end, and while there are obviously copious connections on UA available at SFO, I'm not sure which ones would be geared to YEG residents. I guess those further south in California or Latin America... but for TransPac you would expect YEGgers would be going through YVR. Perhaps I am overthinking things... everyone loves SFO, so perhaps O/D is the main driver for YEG-SFO.


One theory: CYEG passengers might prefer changing planes at KSFO as opposed to Hawaii because they'd have already cleared customs when they change planes there as opposed to when they land in Hawaii if they changed planes at CYVR (IINM, CYEG is a US Customs 'pre-clearance' airport).
2019: DAL, MCI, PHX, LAS, DFW, SAT, ORD, SLC, SEA, DTW, PHL, MIA, LAX; B73G (WN x3), B738 (WN, AA, DL), A20N (NK), MD83 (AA), B788 (AA x2), CS1 (DL), B739 (DL), B712 (DL), B752 (AA), B763 (AA), B77W (AA), B789 (AA)
Next: TBA
 
ctrabs0114
Posts: 1101
Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:09 am

Re: Air Canada announces YYZ-OMA/PVD, YUL-PIT/BWI, YEG-SFO, YVR-SMF

Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:45 am

I'm curious as to the thinking behind AC's adding KPIT-CYUL...
2019: DAL, MCI, PHX, LAS, DFW, SAT, ORD, SLC, SEA, DTW, PHL, MIA, LAX; B73G (WN x3), B738 (WN, AA, DL), A20N (NK), MD83 (AA), B788 (AA x2), CS1 (DL), B739 (DL), B712 (DL), B752 (AA), B763 (AA), B77W (AA), B789 (AA)
Next: TBA
 
Cubsrule
Posts: 14615
Joined: Sat May 15, 2004 12:13 pm

Re: Air Canada announces YYZ-OMA/PVD, YUL-PIT/BWI, YEG-SFO, YVR-SMF

Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:09 pm

GSP psgr wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:
GSP psgr wrote:
Guesses for a next wave of Montreal transborder expansion: ATL (flown pre 9/11 with CRJs), CLE, DTW, and RDU.


AC hasn’t historically done much flying from YUL to secondary US cities. BDL has stuck around but I don’t think has ever had jets. Other than that it’s big cites and Florida. Hopefully these adds are the beginning of some transborder expansion ex-YUL.


AC added YUL-DFW not too recently ago, which was stepping out of character for AC a bit. That said, YUL has grown enormously on the transatlantic/transpac front over the past decade or so: Brussels, Geneva, Lyon, Shanghai, Tokyo, Casablanca are on a year round basis not to mention Athens, Bucharest, Dublin, Barcelona, Nice, Lisbon, Marseilles, Venice, Rome, and Tel Aviv in the summers. Being able to offer a wide array of longhaul connections in addition to O&D and Canadian connections puts Montreal in a better place than it has ever been to grow transborder traffic.

While it's never going to be Pearson, there are probably ten or so markets AC could expand to from Montreal: ATL, AUS, CLE, CLT, DTW, MSY, BNA, RDU, SEA, SAN* (seasonally at least).


I agree with all of this. Perhaps some summer seasonal flying geared toward the leisure O&D to Montreal might make sense; Montreal is a far more interesting tourism destination for most folks in the US than is Toronto.

Montreal's geography does hurt it, though. ATL and BNA are probably about as far as 50-seaters can make it in the summer.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more
 
Dominion301
Posts: 2875
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:48 pm

Re: Air Canada announces YYZ-OMA/PVD, YUL-PIT/BWI, YEG-SFO, YVR-SMF

Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:57 pm

ctrabs0114 wrote:
I'm curious as to the thinking behind AC's adding KPIT-CYUL...


I can see 3 reasons:
1) Take O&D connecting traffic from the US3;
2) Stimulate O&D demand with a nonstop (O&D on this route would have been substantially higher back in the US PIT hub days than it is nowadays; and
3) Feed the YUL hub.
 
Topguncanada
Posts: 59
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:44 am

Re: Air Canada announces YYZ-OMA/PVD, YUL-PIT/BWI, YEG-SFO, YVR-SMF

Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:04 pm

Last time around SMF-YVR carried a fair bit of cruise ship traffic.
 
User avatar
BN727227Ultra
Posts: 695
Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:15 pm

Re: Air Canada announces YYZ-OMA/PVD, YUL-PIT/BWI, YEG-SFO, YVR-SMF

Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:46 pm

JRL3289 wrote:


I don't know that TD's 30 percent equity stake in TD Ameritrade would drive a significant amount of YYZ-OMA traffic; that said, finance and insurance are big in both places, so perhaps broader industry ties are bringing the two together?



I worked at Ameritrade for seventeen years up until 2015, and there was very little that Toronto had to do with Omaha. Most of Omaha's direction came from NY/NJ. Maybe things have changed but I have no reason to believe so.

On an Omaha message board the idea was floated that this was a way for European travelers to avoid NY, but with PHL/ATL/DTW/MSP/CLT in the mix, I dunno.

Good to see in any case, and if RUSH decides to come out of retirement I got a quick way to get to the GTO for them--and for Hortons!
 
Cubsrule
Posts: 14615
Joined: Sat May 15, 2004 12:13 pm

Re: Air Canada announces YYZ-OMA/PVD, YUL-PIT/BWI, YEG-SFO, YVR-SMF

Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:24 pm

BN727227Ultra wrote:
On an Omaha message board the idea was floated that this was a way for European travelers to avoid NY, but with PHL/ATL/DTW/MSP/CLT in the mix, I dunno.


YYZ is a really humane place to connect to and from Europe; you can do a westbound connection in as little as 60-75 minutes without breaking a sweat. Don't try that at JFK or ATL.

The drawback of the service is the lack of a premium cabin on the YYZ-US leg and to some degree customer knowledge. I don't think AC does as much to push YYZ as a connecting point as it could.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more
 
User avatar
longhauler
Posts: 6488
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2004 12:00 am

Re: Air Canada announces YYZ-OMA/PVD, YUL-PIT/BWI, YEG-SFO, YVR-SMF

Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:38 pm

Cubsrule wrote:
YYZ is a really humane place to connect to and from Europe; you can do a westbound connection in as little as 60-75 minutes without breaking a sweat. Don't try that at JFK or ATL.

Eastbound as well. As now, one no longer has to physically transfer their connection checked baggage through US Pre-clearance at YYZ. This makes their arrival at their US destination as a domestic flight.

I was recently talking with a business class passenger flying YYZ-SFO. He originated in TLV and I asked why he chose AC over say UA or DL. He said the same as noted above. He had a 70 minute connection in YYZ, of which (he said) 30 minutes was unnecessary. He laughed when he said there is no way in hell he is getting through EWR in anything less than 3 hours.
Just because I stopped arguing, doesn't mean I think you are right. It just means I gave up!
 
Cubsrule
Posts: 14615
Joined: Sat May 15, 2004 12:13 pm

Re: Air Canada announces YYZ-OMA/PVD, YUL-PIT/BWI, YEG-SFO, YVR-SMF

Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:32 pm

longhauler wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:
YYZ is a really humane place to connect to and from Europe; you can do a westbound connection in as little as 60-75 minutes without breaking a sweat. Don't try that at JFK or ATL.

Eastbound as well. As now, one no longer has to physically transfer their connection checked baggage through US Pre-clearance at YYZ. This makes their arrival at their US destination as a domestic flight.

I was recently talking with a business class passenger flying YYZ-SFO. He originated in TLV and I asked why he chose AC over say UA or DL. He said the same as noted above. He had a 70 minute connection in YYZ, of which (he said) 30 minutes was unnecessary. He laughed when he said there is no way in hell he is getting through EWR in anything less than 3 hours.


I agree with all of this. The only reason I didn't mention eastbound is that YYZ has less of a comparative advantage that direction because the connections in the States are easier. Still, YYZ's relative compact layout (somewhat less true for routes served by regional aircraft) and easy navigation is definitely worth something.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more
 
flyfresno
Posts: 1074
Joined: Tue May 02, 2006 6:18 am

Re: Air Canada announces YYZ-OMA/PVD, YUL-PIT/BWI, YEG-SFO, YVR-SMF

Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:38 pm

Topguncanada wrote:
Last time around SMF-YVR carried a fair bit of cruise ship traffic.


Timing is bad for coming back from a cruise, and not the best for going (unless you go a day early, which is a good idea). Most people won’t be able to get off a boat, travel to the airport (about 30 min), then clear customs and security in time for a 9am flight.
 
Flaps
Posts: 1657
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2000 1:11 pm

Re: Air Canada announces YYZ-OMA/PVD, YUL-PIT/BWI, YEG-SFO, YVR-SMF

Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:21 pm

Dominion301 wrote:
ctrabs0114 wrote:
I'm curious as to the thinking behind AC's adding KPIT-CYUL...


I can see 3 reasons:
1) Take O&D connecting traffic from the US3;
2) Stimulate O&D demand with a nonstop (O&D on this route would have been substantially higher back in the US PIT hub days than it is nowadays; and
3) Feed the YUL hub.


AC currently carries a substantial amount of International connecting traffic from PIT. When PD was still in the market a substantial amount of their traffic was connecting to YUL. Add in the YUL subsidy from PIT and It was a no-brainer. Basically they pushed PD out, grabbed PD's YUL traffic, switched one of the YYZ flights to YUL and picked up a subsidy to boot. A clean sweep.
 
Skywatcher
Posts: 891
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2002 11:19 am

Re: Air Canada announces YYZ-OMA/PVD, YUL-PIT/BWI, YEG-SFO, YVR-SMF

Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:35 pm

Transferring from PIT to Europe (CDG/ROM/FRA etc.) via YUL seems more logical in terms of total miles flown (i.e. less than going through YYZ). It is likely that the cost to AC (landing fees etc.) is less as well. CLE probably will be next.
 
User avatar
CLEguy
Posts: 351
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:49 pm

Re: Air Canada announces YYZ-OMA/PVD, YUL-PIT/BWI, YEG-SFO, YVR-SMF

Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:36 pm

Dominion301 wrote:
ctrabs0114 wrote:
I'm curious as to the thinking behind AC's adding KPIT-CYUL...


I can see 3 reasons:
1) Take O&D connecting traffic from the US3;
2) Stimulate O&D demand with a nonstop (O&D on this route would have been substantially higher back in the US PIT hub days than it is nowadays; and
3) Feed the YUL hub.


Plus this: "The Allegheny County Airport Authority will pay Air Canada $50,000 over two years to help market the flight."

http://www.post-gazette.com/news/transp ... 1711290114
 
User avatar
flyPIT
Posts: 1925
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:21 am

Re: Air Canada announces YYZ-OMA/PVD, YUL-PIT/BWI, YEG-SFO, YVR-SMF

Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:44 pm

Flaps wrote:
switched one of the YYZ flights to YUL and picked up a subsidy to boot. A clean sweep.

PIT-YYZ remains unchanged at 4x daily (summer) and 3x daily (winter) so PIT picks up one flight overall.
FLYi
 
uconn99
Posts: 424
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:52 pm

Re: Air Canada announces YYZ-OMA/PVD, YUL-PIT/BWI, YEG-SFO, YVR-SMF

Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:05 am

Cubsrule wrote:
GSP psgr wrote:
Guesses for a next wave of Montreal transborder expansion: ATL (flown pre 9/11 with CRJs), CLE, DTW, and RDU.


AC hasn’t historically done much flying from YUL to secondary US cities. BDL has stuck around but I don’t think has ever had jets. Other than that it’s big cites and Florida. Hopefully these adds are the beginning of some transborder expansion ex-YUL.


AC has never had regular scheduled jets into BDL. It has always been 4x daily BDL-YYZ on a mix of Dash-8 and B1900 and YUL has been 3-4 daily on B1900 for years. Loads are generally in the 50's and 60's but they must be making money since they have been on the same schedule (Dash-8 just recently started again YYZ) for the past 15-20 years that I can remember.

With PVD getting a CRJ flight, I am curious if BDL could possibly see 1-2 daily CRJ's into YYZ since 2 hours on a B1900 isn't the most pleasant ride.
 
ctrabs0114
Posts: 1101
Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:09 am

Re: Air Canada announces YYZ-OMA/PVD, YUL-PIT/BWI, YEG-SFO, YVR-SMF

Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:21 pm

longhauler wrote:
Eastbound as well. As now, one no longer has to physically transfer their connection checked baggage through US Pre-clearance at YYZ. This makes their arrival at their US destination as a domestic flight.

I was recently talking with a business class passenger flying YYZ-SFO. He originated in TLV and I asked why he chose AC over say UA or DL. He said the same as noted above. He had a 70 minute connection in YYZ, of which (he said) 30 minutes was unnecessary. He laughed when he said there is no way in hell he is getting through EWR in anything less than 3 hours.


IINM, YUL is also a pre-clearance airport.
2019: DAL, MCI, PHX, LAS, DFW, SAT, ORD, SLC, SEA, DTW, PHL, MIA, LAX; B73G (WN x3), B738 (WN, AA, DL), A20N (NK), MD83 (AA), B788 (AA x2), CS1 (DL), B739 (DL), B712 (DL), B752 (AA), B763 (AA), B77W (AA), B789 (AA)
Next: TBA
 
MrNuke
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:37 am

Re: Air Canada announces YYZ-OMA/PVD, YUL-PIT/BWI, YEG-SFO, YVR-SMF

Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:22 pm

BN727227Ultra wrote:
On an Omaha message board the idea was floated that this was a way for European travelers to avoid NY, but with PHL/ATL/DTW/MSP/CLT in the mix, I dunno.

The problem is a 19:50 arrival in YYZ and a 14:30 departure back to OMA aren't optimal for connecting to Europe. The only AC flights that make sense are LHR FRA where they're running multiple flights and you can take the late Eastbound to Europe and the Early morning westbound out. Like you noted OMA has many other one stop connecting options with more optimal timing.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos