Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

OA260

Re: Irish 12/17: Ag eitilt gan teo

Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:47 pm

DalRiada wrote:
shamrock350 wrote:
CityFlyer is a great operation, probably better than British Airways themselves at this point but that's not exactly hard to do. Would be nice to see them do more flying from Ireland to be honest, whether that be their own summer seasonal or for Aer Lingus.

OA260 wrote:
The BS in between is called negotiating.

I wouldn't give the British Government too much credit when it comes to negotiating.

I don't understand why BA get such flack on here, I've only ever flew with them a few times (always connecting through Heathrow) but I've found them perfectly acceptable. Far better than FR or EI (who I've never flown long haul with). I think some people get caught up over the fact that standards have dropped since the glory days, but that's just the state of the industry these days - it was always going to happen.

There have been major changes at BA some good some bad but they still offer a good reliable product. Flew their PE product back from the US last month and was served one of the best meals in a long time on any carrier. Some people like to bitch about BA and LHR for the sake of it. Sometimes its justified when things go majorly wrong but 90% of the time its a decent experience.

Speaking of TATL catering this is somewhere where EI needs to improve.

shamrock350

Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:41 pm

OA260 wrote:
There have been major changes at BA some good some bad but they still offer a good reliable product. Flew their PE product back from the US last month and was served one of the best meals in a long time on any carrier. Some people like to bitch about BA and LHR for the sake of it. Sometimes its justified when things go majorly wrong but 90% of the time its a decent experience.

I was mainly referring to short haul as we're talking about CityFlyer.

British Airways short haul doesn't offer much value for money anymore, it's a low fare service at full fare prices. Evolving as the industry changes is essential, we've all seen Aer Lingus do it successfully, even Iberia has done a pretty decent job of it so I think we all understand the reasoning but the BA approach has been sloppy and underhand which is why they're reputation has been so damaged. It was just seen as cuts with no fall in average fare, worse service, same high fares.

As for long haul, no complaints from me. I've also flown World Traveller Plus recently, nice refurbished 747, excellent meals and decent crews. Although making your Business Class passengers pay to select their seats is a little tight!

Didn't think you flew Aer Lingus transatlantic OA260?

LH982

Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:08 pm

From Ireland, European connections with BA are nearly always much more expensive than KL or LH, for a poorer experience. EI are probably on a par service wise, but at a much lower fare.

OA260

Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:15 pm

shamrock350 wrote:
OA260 wrote:

I was mainly referring to short haul as we're talking about CityFlyer.

British Airways short haul doesn't offer much value for money anymore, it's a low fare service at full fare prices. Evolving as the industry changes is essential, we've all seen Aer Lingus do it successfully, even Iberia has done a pretty decent job of it so I think we all understand the reasoning but the BA approach has been sloppy and underhand which is why they're reputation has been so damaged. It was just seen as cuts with no fall in average fare, worse service, same high fares.

As for long haul, no complaints from me. I've also flown World Traveller Plus recently, nice refurbished 747, excellent meals and decent crews. Although making your Business Class passengers pay to select their seats is a little tight!

Didn't think you flew Aer Lingus transatlantic OA260?

What used to be band 4 has actually had a great improvement in CE from personal experience. Y is the same as any BOB similar to EI/IB etc... I do them all on a regular enough basis to get a good varied view and with regards fares there are still plenty of good ones with BA depending on when you book / day of the week of travel etc.. It is often cheaper for me to go BA one stop then EI direct. There is only so much premium you can justify for a direct flight IMHO.

With regards EI TATL catering I get good reliable feedback and photos from regulars more recently a neighbour who flies every few weeks in Y to ORD said it was “slop”. It kind of mirrors what crew friends of mine describe it as too. EI could further enhance the Skytrax 4* experience by doing something with the meals. Is EI TATL food something you have had recently?

DalRiada

Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:47 pm

LH982 wrote:
From Ireland, European connections with BA are nearly always much more expensive than KL or LH, for a poorer experience. EI are probably on a par service wise, but at a much lower fare.

Two airlines I am yet to fly on, unfortunately. Next hop with BA is to LHR for a connection with Avianca to Bogotá, hopefully I'll have no complaints afterwards!

BrianDromey

Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:18 pm

I think BA are getting a pretty tough time at the minute - I’m not sure all of it is deserved. BoB was a massive culture shock to the airline and not handled particularly well. The main complainants are Golds and Silvers who feel they should have some sort of recognition and freebie when flying in Y. I’ve done 4 flights in Club with BA in the past month and I do feel the standard of catering has improved, with much more to come in Club World. The flat bed in CW is still a great product - yes it’s ageing but still a brilliant seat to lounge and sleep in, with no tiny foot box. I think the LHR lounges are actually pretty good too - they could do with being bigger to give a better sense of space and privacy.

Overall I’m not sure that KL or LH are really much better, certainly in EU business class I don’t think there’s much in it. BA does need to invest in its product, but I think there is a lot to like.

OA260

Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:57 am

BrianDromey wrote:
I think BA are getting a pretty tough time at the minute - I’m not sure all of it is deserved. BoB was a massive culture shock to the airline and not handled particularly well. The main complainants are Golds and Silvers who feel they should have some sort of recognition and freebie when flying in Y. I’ve done 4 flights in Club with BA in the past month and I do feel the standard of catering has improved, with much more to come in Club World. The flat bed in CW is still a great product - yes it’s ageing but still a brilliant seat to lounge and sleep in, with no tiny foot box. I think the LHR lounges are actually pretty good too - they could do with being bigger to give a better sense of space and privacy.

Overall I’m not sure that KL or LH are really much better, certainly in EU business class I don’t think there’s much in it. BA does need to invest in its product, but I think there is a lot to like.

Totally agree it was a huge culture shock as was BOB when it came to EI and lets not forget for those that dont remember it was the same reaction from Gold Circle members, regular passengers who said they would switch to FR. Crew threatened to strike and not enough catering was loaded. Also remember the Aer Lingus mess up with pre orders that went on for months. Plenty of times my own failed to get loaded. So BA were not alone in having issues and it was not smooth when EI started BOB and later well after BOB had been running pre orders mess up.

As for LH they are nothing special LX beat them hands down especially in Euro J. How they got 5* is beyond me. Then again these Stars are thrown out for various reasons ! Take them with a pinch of salt.

dejmurph

Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:52 am

9:46 EI603 AMS -DUB just diverted and has landed in MAN . EI-CVA . Medical emergency perhaps?

mast2407

Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:55 am

EI603 AMS-DUB has diverted to MAN. A320 EI-CVA.

LH982

Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:13 pm

BrianDromey wrote:

They're all pretty much the same in J, but in Y BA are often charging a premium and delivering less than their competition.

They are also loosing transfer traffic, where for many cities it's impossible to do most of a days work and get a connection via Heathrow in the evening.

I'm still a BA Silver and would love them to be a viable option, but more often than not they aren't these days.

JAmie2k9

Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:14 pm

dejmurph wrote:
9:46 EI603 AMS -DUB just diverted and has landed in MAN . EI-CVA . Medical emergency perhaps?

Yes medical, its such hassle diverting to MAN.

HTCone

Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:24 pm

Skyblue39 wrote:
I see that a QR 777 operating Dallas-Doha diverted into Dublin this morning. Did a loop over the North Midlands before heading down into DUB... anybody know why?

Medical emergency

User001

Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:39 pm

JAmie2k9 wrote:
    dejmurph wrote:

Not sure the Poorly person or the crew see it that way, however.

JAmie2k9

Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:08 pm

User001 wrote:
      JAmie2k9 wrote:
      dejmurph wrote:

Not sure the Poorly person or the crew see it that way, however.

I completely got that view but bones of 3 hours on the ground...

User001

Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:36 pm

The long time on the ground was an EI issue, was given the 1330 departure time from DUB, MAN had the flight sorted and ready to go within 50 minutes of landing, and that included the proposed de-icing time too.

JAmie2k9

Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:46 pm

User001 wrote:
      The long time on the ground was an EI issue, was given the 1330 departure time from DUB, MAN had the flight sorted and ready to go within 50 minutes of landing, and that included the proposed de-icing time too.

Not going to argue however according to a fairly reliable source it wasn't that quick, fuel hadn't been put on in those 50 minutes. I do accept some was EI issues. I'm also not criticizing MAN either.

User001

Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:27 pm

Fuel had been put on, or was certainly ready to be put on and even the de-icers were ready (and that’s usually the thing that really slows things down at MAN so nice to see them on the ball for once). I appriciate you may also have reliable sources but clearly something not meeting in the middle as mine was adamant that the aircraft could have been ready to go well within 50 minutes had DUB not told them to hold back.

Appriciate it’s not a criticism of MAN but MAN has had issues with winter diverts before, so it was actually nice to see things ran smoothly from this side for once.

ClassicLover

Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:22 pm

VFRonTop wrote:
      I'm a big fan of BACF, would love to see them fly under the EI Regional brand or see EI get some regional jets to grow the regional network.

I agree, all my flights with CityFlyer have been really excellent. The cabin crew are always extremely nice, friendly and funny. To be fair, most BA crew are pretty cool when it comes down to it, but I do like the team at LCY.
      I do enjoy a spot of flying, especially when it's not in economy!

JAmie2k9

Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:33 am

User001 wrote:
      Fuel had been put on, or was certainly ready to be put on and even the de-icers were ready (and that’s usually the thing that really slows things down at MAN so nice to see them on the ball for once). I appriciate you may also have reliable sources but clearly something not meeting in the middle as mine was adamant that the aircraft could have been ready to go well within 50 minutes had DUB not told them to hold back.

Appriciate it’s not a criticism of MAN but MAN has had issues with winter diverts before, so it was actually nice to see things ran smoothly from this side for once.

At times EI are on par for FR with dealing with disruption so not a surprise that they made the situation a lot worse for passengers.

stratocruiser

Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:22 am

Air Canada medical diversion to Shannon this morning because of a "cardiac arrest". The aircraft was a 789 from YYZ to DXB (ACA56) and despite having crossed the Atlantic surprisingly it still had to dump fuel prior to landing at SNN to get below its maximum landing weight. Hope the unfortunate passenger is OK.

mast2407

Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:12 pm

stratocruiser wrote:
      Air Canada medical diversion to Shannon this morning because of a "cardiac arrest". The aircraft was a 789 from YYZ to DXB (ACA56) and despite having crossed the Atlantic surprisingly it still had to dump fuel prior to landing at SNN to get below its maximum landing weight. Hope the unfortunate passenger is OK.

I’d imagine the aircraft had quite the amount of fuel onboard, given that by the time it got to Shannon, it still wouldn’t have been half way to its destination.

Arrival in Shannon at 08:11, departure from Shannon at 09:35, continuing to Dubai (FR24)

OA260

Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:04 am

Airline at Carlisle Airport will fly to Southend, Dublin and Belfast twice a day
      Airline to be revealed next month

THE airline to fly planes from Carlisle Airport will be announced at the end of January.

Stephen Smith, the airport’s general manager, told a packed meeting of Carlisle Ambassadors on Thursday at the city’s Milton Hilltop Hotel in that discussions were ongoing with a number of airlines.

He said: “I obviously can’t mention any names but we are hoping to make an announcement about the start-up airline at the end of January.”

http://www.nwemail.co.uk/Airline-at-Car ... 82abe91-ds

TUGMASTER

Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:32 am

OA260 wrote:
      Airline at Carlisle Airport will fly to Southend, Dublin and Belfast twice a day
      Airline to be revealed next month

THE airline to fly planes from Carlisle Airport will be announced at the end of January.

Stephen Smith, the airport’s general manager, told a packed meeting of Carlisle Ambassadors on Thursday at the city’s Milton Hilltop Hotel in that discussions were ongoing with a number of airlines.

He said: “I obviously can’t mention any names but we are hoping to make an announcement about the start-up airline at the end of January.”

http://www.nwemail.co.uk/Airline-at-Car ... 82abe91-ds

Uuummmm .... let me guess....??

Stobart/FlyBE partnership....????

Can't see anybody else looking at this...

leghorn

Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:45 am

tick tock, tick tock, 30 million, tick tock. not long now(I hope).

JAmie2k9

Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:51 am

leghorn wrote:

Won't be this year, 2018...

The new South Gates don't look to bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GJQLLD_fzU

OA260

Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:55 am

BA 744 parked at DUB

Used the new E Gates this morning. Bit of a dissapointment myself and 3 others it could not read them. Had to go to a kiosk, lucky it was not busy. Hope the immigration guys kept the receipts ;) Agent at the kiosk seemed fed up with them already!

leghorn

Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:05 pm

JAmie2k9 wrote:
      leghorn wrote:

Won't be this year, 2018...

Maybe the rolling year for January will hit 30.

Skyblue39

Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:42 pm

I came in on SK2537 from CPH yesterday....(nice to get an SK A321), and I used the eGates at T1. The machine pulls the passport out of your hand, so if you don't let go, then you get a red cross and have to step back out of the Gate and wait for the arrow to go green again, before re-entering. Took me 2 goes to get through, but was grand! :)

OA260

Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:01 pm

Skyblue39 wrote:
      I came in on SK2537 from CPH yesterday....(nice to get an SK A321), and I used the eGates at T1. The machine pulls the passport out of your hand, so if you don't let go, then you get a red cross and have to step back out of the Gate and wait for the arrow to go green again, before re-entering. Took me 2 goes to get through, but was grand! :)

Guys were explaining that this morning and it did indeed take the passport but then eject it a few times. Hopefully they can get it sorted.

iRISH251

Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:28 pm

OA260 wrote:
      BA 744 parked at DUB
      Yesterday's BA178 JFK-LHR,. A BOS-LHR flight went to BFS last night also.

MapleLeaf789

Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:07 pm

This is a great post. I enjoyed reading the up-to-date stats.

I believe that within in 5 years Dublin will be a substantial connection point/hub for Europe.

I live in Toronto and in peak season we have 4 flights a day now to Dublin (EI, AC, TS, WS).

IAG, Brexit, infrastructure investment...all are going to pay substantial dividends.
      Toronto Based

A319/320/321/330/340
      B707/727/737/747/767/777/787
      BAE146
      CRJ200/700
      DC8/9/10
      DHC8/Q4
      E175/195

stlgph

Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:14 pm

Hi. Just took a quick weekend trip on Aer Lingus over to DUB. On the way over the A330 had the "more modern" seatback screen where it was quick to touch, you can plug in any earbud into the outlet, and there is also a USB port.

On the way back, nothing. Just the screen which was slow to respond to the touch.

Is the first system I talked about a new install rolling out across the system or are they taking those out and putting in the more boring, slow screens, sans USB?

Thanks.
      if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

CarbHeatIn

Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:34 pm

Ryanair’s DUB based pilots vote for industrial action.

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2017/1 ... ir-pilots/

OA260

Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:50 pm

iRISH251 wrote:
      OA260 wrote:
      BA 744 parked at DUB
      Yesterday's BA178 JFK-LHR,. A BOS-LHR flight went to BFS last night also.

Thanks .

——

Met the Leinster Rugby team at DUB today. They were on a WX charter from EXT and their bags were at the same belt as ours.

leghorn

Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:01 pm

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2017/1 ... tatistics/

passenger numbers up 5.4%.

If I were Dublin Airport I'd be all over those figures to see how they can steal all those passengers flying through Heathrow from Shannon(if they are hubbing there).

JAmie2k9

Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:11 pm

Some good news for Cork, Ryanair's seasonal June-August routes will run until end of September next year with the exception of ALC which only runs for 2 months instead of usual 3.

Zachbt

Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:29 pm

Check out @shaw_geoff’s Tweet: https://twitter.com/shaw_geoff/status/9 ... 48224?s=09

Sorry was trying to paste the image in from my phone, rather unsuccessfully, so here's a link to a pic of the 747 in BFS, think Obamas air force one was the last heavy in Belfast, must have taken up the majority of the apron!

iRISH251

Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:51 pm

Zachbt wrote:
      Check out @shaw_geoff’s Tweet: https://twitter.com/shaw_geoff/status/9 ... 48224?s=09

Sorry was trying to paste the image in from my phone, rather unsuccessfully, so here's a link to a pic of the 747 in BFS, think Obamas air force one was the last heavy in Belfast, must have taken up the majority of the apron!

Virgin have operated B744s BFS to MCO in the summer season in recent years. Also, cargo A300s which DHL operate from BFS are definitely in the "heavy" category. RAF A332s also visit occasionally AFAIK.

Zachbt

Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:55 pm

iRISH251 wrote:
      Virgin have operated B744s BFS to MCO in the summer season in recent years. Also, cargo A300s which DHL operate from BFS are definitely in the "heavy" category. RAF A332s also visit occasionally AFAIK.

True, forgot about the virgin summer flights, BFS is my local airport so d'oh on my part, just never seen any pics of the virgin birds pulled up against the international pier. That's where the apron astonishment came from. It looks tight with a tcx a321 and sunwing 737-800 against it. :smile:

OA260

Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:50 pm

Irish-based Ryanair pilots to strike just five days before Christmas

https://www.independent.ie/business/iri ... 01412.html

Galwayman

Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:12 pm

79 (??) pilots voted for a strike . Out of how many pilots in total at the Dublin base I wonder .... doesn't seem like a lot

Jayafe

Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:25 pm

Galwayman wrote:
      79 (??) pilots voted for a strike . Out of how many pilots in total at the Dublin base I wonder .... doesn't seem like a lot

+300 according to the source... +25% is not a empty number

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2017/1 ... ir-pilots/

JAmie2k9

Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:56 pm

Galwayman

Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:02 pm

FR should be able to manage ok , not a great number and I'm sure the 75% won't be too impressed

aerlingusa330

Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:19 pm

shamrock350 wrote:
      Rumours circulating that the incoming QR A330 for EI will be based at SNN for peak summer, freeing up the required 757 for DUB. Nice boost for SNN and makes sense overall if the A330 is configured differently to the rest of the fleet.

Would the 757 be used to restart the daytime JFK-DUB flight? Has anyone heard of any rumors of this starting back up? I loved that flight, hopes it comes back.
      Shamrock 136 heavy cleared for takeoff runway niner.

bennett123

Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:17 pm

If the statement on their website is a lie will the IAA be forced to act.

I also understood that they had a pilot shortage already.

Surprised that the number of pilots who are already leaving is so high.

Besides if they are already leaving, then why are they interested in union representation at FR.

OA260

Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:49 am

"Teething Problems" At Dublin Airport Set To Affect Christmas Passengers
      If you're flying to or from Dublin in the next month, it's worth taking note of.

Last week, we brought you the news that Dublin Airport was introducing new electronic passport-reading machines which would be self service and in fact would make getting through the airport, just as safe but a lot quicker.

However, The Irish Times is reporting that glitches and teething problems with the machines could possibly make getting through Dublin Airport a nightmare for those going to or from the Airport this Christmas.

The Department of Justice has said Dublin Airport Authority (DAA) is responsible for the queues at the airport and the DAA said it was aware of the teething problems with the new machines and was currently trying to resolve the matter.

It is being reported that just three days after the machines were introduced at the Airport, there were serious delays at Terminal One.

A portion of the machines were functioning extremely slowly before eventually rejecting a large number of passports.

https://lovindublin.com/news/teething-p ... passengers

JAmie2k9

Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:32 pm

Looks like a new German TV add
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSG75OU-nD0

Eirules

Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:49 am

Being reportedly this morning that Aer Lingus have confirmed an extra 2 airbus a330 aircraft will join the fleet next year and be in place before the summer
      The way you cut your meat reflects the way you live....

OA260

Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:34 am

Ryanair has agreed to recognise pilot unions for the first time in its 32-year history in a bid to stop the first pilot strike in its history from taking place.

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2017/1 ... al-action/

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos