Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
n7371f
Topic Author
Posts: 1836
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:54 pm

QX begins Q400 fleet reduction

Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:34 am

Quietly the past month Horizon parked (2) Q400's in Portland and is seeking to sell them. If QX can't sell them quickly, they'll be sent to the desert. Ships 418, 419. 13 more are to be parked next year, most likely the leased aircraft 400-414.
 
SCAT15F
Posts: 719
Joined: Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:34 am

Re: QX begins Q400 fleet reduction

Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:19 am

For the love of God why?!
 
User avatar
LAXintl
Posts: 24697
Joined: Wed May 24, 2000 12:12 pm

Re: QX begins Q400 fleet reduction

Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:28 am

Nothing quiet or secret. AAG has long said 15 Q400s would be removed by end of 2018
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California
 
wedgetail737
Posts: 5273
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2003 8:44 am

Re: QX begins Q400 fleet reduction

Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:37 am

They are plenty of Q400 city-pairs that QX can fly with the E75's profitably. But I'm sure they will save some.
 
User avatar
RWA380
Posts: 5732
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:51 am

Re: QX begins Q400 fleet reduction

Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:15 am

wedgetail737 wrote:
They are plenty of Q400 city-pairs that QX can fly with the E75's profitably. But I'm sure they will save some.


Sure, places like RDM, EUG or MFR are not going to jets anytime soon, there will be 30 or so E-175's coming to QX, the Q-400's will remain just in smaller numbers. The E-175 is going to the longer Q-400 routes, like PDX-SMF/OAK as they retire the Q-400's.
707 717 720 727-1/2 737-1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9 747-1/2/3/4 757-2/3 767-2/3/4 777-2/3 DC8 DC9 MD80/2/7/8 D10-1/3/4 M11 L10-1/2/5 A300/310/320
AA AC AQ AS BA BD BN CO CS DL EA EZ HA HG HP KL KN MP MW NK NW OZ PA PS QX RC RH RW SA TG TW UA US VS WA WC WN WP YS 8M
 
JayWings
Posts: 91
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:26 pm

Re: QX begins Q400 fleet reduction

Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:35 am

Not going to lie, as much as I loved those Q’s... I’m glad to see the early builds go. They are pretty long in the tooth and are not aging gracefully. I just hope QX comes back to its original level of flying (or even grows)and these OO CR2’s can make a swift exit.
 
Oykie
Posts: 1967
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2006 9:21 am

Re: QX begins Q400 fleet reduction

Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:16 am

Anyone know what will happen to MMH flights when the Q400 are gone?
Dream no small dream; it lacks magic. Dream large, then go make that dream real - Donald Douglas
 
User avatar
RWA380
Posts: 5732
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:51 am

Re: QX begins Q400 fleet reduction

Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:42 am

QX are going to keep some Q-400's for the smaller stations, like MMH, MRY, RDM, LWS, PUW, EAT, YKM, HLN, ALW. The Q-400 is staying with QX for another decade or so, at least that is the plan as of now.
707 717 720 727-1/2 737-1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9 747-1/2/3/4 757-2/3 767-2/3/4 777-2/3 DC8 DC9 MD80/2/7/8 D10-1/3/4 M11 L10-1/2/5 A300/310/320
AA AC AQ AS BA BD BN CO CS DL EA EZ HA HG HP KL KN MP MW NK NW OZ PA PS QX RC RH RW SA TG TW UA US VS WA WC WN WP YS 8M
 
gmcc
Posts: 346
Joined: Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:54 am

Re: QX begins Q400 fleet reduction

Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:03 pm

So even when AS parks 15 Qs there will still be 37 in the fleet. What is interesting about the reductions is that a lot of the leased one that we are assuming are going back are the college themed paint jobs so the QX fleet will be losing some of its PNW flare. On a side note 7 Qs are getting the new AS paint this year according to the AS YouTube account
 
DiamondFlyer
Posts: 3400
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:50 pm

Re: QX begins Q400 fleet reduction

Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:40 pm

JayWings wrote:
Not going to lie, as much as I loved those Q’s... I’m glad to see the early builds go. They are pretty long in the tooth and are not aging gracefully. I just hope QX comes back to its original level of flying (or even grows)and these OO CR2’s can make a swift exit.


Unless there is a large increase in spending by AS on QX, the ship has hit the iceburg and is quickly sinking, to the point of no return shortly.
From my cold, dead hands
 
BlatantEcho
Posts: 2132
Joined: Wed Sep 27, 2000 10:11 am

Re: QX begins Q400 fleet reduction

Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:49 pm

^^^

It’s sort of already sunk :/

Lots of us loyal AS flyers are switching teams in 2018 because we can’t count on AS/QX to get it done anymore.
 
32andBelow
Posts: 5001
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:54 am

Re: QX begins Q400 fleet reduction

Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:26 pm

DiamondFlyer wrote:
JayWings wrote:
Not going to lie, as much as I loved those Q’s... I’m glad to see the early builds go. They are pretty long in the tooth and are not aging gracefully. I just hope QX comes back to its original level of flying (or even grows)and these OO CR2’s can make a swift exit.


Unless there is a large increase in spending by AS on QX, the ship has hit the iceburg and is quickly sinking, to the point of no return shortly.

Just hire all tha QX pilots to mainline. Shut it down and contract the whole thing to OO.
 
BoeingGuy
Posts: 6313
Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:01 pm

Re: QX begins Q400 fleet reduction

Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:52 pm

32andBelow wrote:
DiamondFlyer wrote:
JayWings wrote:
Not going to lie, as much as I loved those Q’s... I’m glad to see the early builds go. They are pretty long in the tooth and are not aging gracefully. I just hope QX comes back to its original level of flying (or even grows)and these OO CR2’s can make a swift exit.


Unless there is a large increase in spending by AS on QX, the ship has hit the iceburg and is quickly sinking, to the point of no return shortly.

Just hire all tha QX pilots to mainline. Shut it down and contract the whole thing to OO.


Looks like they are partially doing just that. I was at SEA on Tuesday. There were four CRJ200s painted in Skywest colors lined up together at the QX C-gates. Does that mean that AS is using OO CR2s in place of QX for many flights?
 
Airnerd
Posts: 303
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:57 pm

Re: QX begins Q400 fleet reduction

Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:13 am

BoeingGuy wrote:
32andBelow wrote:
DiamondFlyer wrote:

Unless there is a large increase in spending by AS on QX, the ship has hit the iceburg and is quickly sinking, to the point of no return shortly.

Just hire all tha QX pilots to mainline. Shut it down and contract the whole thing to OO.


Looks like they are partially doing just that. I was at SEA on Tuesday. There were four CRJ200s painted in Skywest colors lined up together at the QX C-gates. Does that mean that AS is using OO CR2s in place of QX for many flights?


They definitenly are using the OO CR2s and E175s on the SEA-PDX shuttle. They're also using QX (Q400s and E175s), and some mainline 737s.
Here's the breakdown this week on PDX-SEA:
30 flights/day (scheduled anyway)
22 are QX, (18 on Q400s, 4 on E175s)
2 are mainline AS, (737s I think 800s/900s)
6 are OO (4 CR2s, and 2 E175s)

I can tell you from recent experience that those OOCR2s are some worn out old birds. All in Skywest colors, I believe.
 
cheapgreek
Posts: 566
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:57 pm

Re: QX begins Q400 fleet reduction

Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:29 am

SCAT15F wrote:
For the love of God why?!


People in the States don't like flying props. While the Q400's are an upgrade from earlier models, flying in the Dash-100's, 200's, 300's have given passengers a bad taste as many have experienced with Piedmont's fleet. Flying the same routes, I found RJ's faster, quieter, and no vibration compared to the Dash's.
 
32andBelow
Posts: 5001
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:54 am

Re: QX begins Q400 fleet reduction

Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:39 am

Airnerd wrote:
BoeingGuy wrote:
32andBelow wrote:
Just hire all tha QX pilots to mainline. Shut it down and contract the whole thing to OO.


Looks like they are partially doing just that. I was at SEA on Tuesday. There were four CRJ200s painted in Skywest colors lined up together at the QX C-gates. Does that mean that AS is using OO CR2s in place of QX for many flights?


They definitenly are using the OO CR2s and E175s on the SEA-PDX shuttle. They're also using QX (Q400s and E175s), and some mainline 737s.
Here's the breakdown this week on PDX-SEA:
30 flights/day (scheduled anyway)
22 are QX, (18 on Q400s, 4 on E175s)
2 are mainline AS, (737s I think 800s/900s)
6 are OO (4 CR2s, and 2 E175s)

I can tell you from recent experience that those OOCR2s are some worn out old birds. All in Skywest colors, I believe.

They should go all jet on the shuttle anyways to compete against DL
 
User avatar
seabosdca
Posts: 6607
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:33 am

Re: QX begins Q400 fleet reduction

Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:02 am

The QX E175s look and feel great, and the Qs suffer by comparison because they're a bit worn and the seat color is awful. They're hardly the ugliest aircraft out there (the OO CR2s are far worse) but the more E175s AS/QX can put onto routes like SEA-PDX, the better.

In terms of customer experience there is exactly the same dichotomy going on at mainline AS, where the new 737-900ERs look great and the 73Gs/739As feel very tired.
 
User avatar
kgaiflyer
Posts: 2741
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2008 3:22 am

Re: QX begins Q400 fleet reduction

Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:03 am

"The E-175 is going to the longer Q-400 routes, like PDX-SMF/OAK as they retire the Q-400's."

The last time I did BIL-PDX, virtually every seat on our Q400 was filled. We had an hour-long ground-stop because of snow that day, and the woman sitting next to me was forced to breast-feed her baby with me watching.

A little more room would have been nice that day (and I'd feel less like a freak :( ).
 
MesserJ
Posts: 126
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2015 2:09 am

Re: QX begins Q400 fleet reduction

Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:51 am

Also OO has sent the remaining CR7 back to storage yesterday, and it has been removed from Alaska's website so I guess it has now been officially retired (only took a year longer than originally expected). I thought the 15 Q400s leaving would've been 400-414 as mentioned previously, but I guess it could be possible it'll be a few more? Does anyone have a confirmation on when QX E175 deliveries resume?
 
gmcc
Posts: 346
Joined: Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:54 am

Re: QX begins Q400 fleet reduction

Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:00 am

According to Airline pilots forum in a letter from management, E175 deliveries are restarting in march with 13 aircraft for a total of 23 by the end of 2018 and 10 more due in 2019
 
AAvgeek744
Posts: 750
Joined: Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:08 pm

Re: QX begins Q400 fleet reduction

Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:15 am

Oykie wrote:
Anyone know what will happen to MMH flights when the Q400 are gone?


United Express flies CR7's to MMH. Unless there is an operational issue that it can't handle E75s, I would assume they'd use those.
 
User avatar
EA CO AS
Posts: 15743
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2001 8:54 am

Re: QX begins Q400 fleet reduction

Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:38 am

seabosdca wrote:
The QX E175s look and feel great, and the Qs suffer by comparison because they're a bit worn and the seat color is awful. They're hardly the ugliest aircraft out there (the OO CR2s are far worse) but the more E175s AS/QX can put onto routes like SEA-PDX, the better.

In terms of customer experience there is exactly the same dichotomy going on at mainline AS, where the new 737-900ERs look great and the 73Gs/739As feel very tired.


The retrofitting of all interiors to the new AS standard unveiled in March - including the 739A and 73G fleets - will be complete by 4Q19.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group
 
n7371f
Topic Author
Posts: 1836
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:54 pm

Re: QX begins Q400 fleet reduction

Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:39 am

Alaska also realizes it is at a competitive disadvantage out of SEA now to many core NW markets. Delta is running 3-class RJ7's and E75's (moving to nearly all E75's mid-2018) up against the Q. There's no comparison. We'll start seeing Alaska branded E75's more and more on SEA-GEG/BOI/YVR/EUG and such.
 
ucdtim17
Posts: 620
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:38 pm

Re: QX begins Q400 fleet reduction

Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:50 am

MesserJ wrote:
Also OO has sent the remaining CR7 back to storage yesterday, and it has been removed from Alaska's website so I guess it has now been officially retired (only took a year longer than originally expected). I thought the 15 Q400s leaving would've been 400-414 as mentioned previously, but I guess it could be possible it'll be a few more? Does anyone have a confirmation on when QX E175 deliveries resume?


What's the rationale for parking the CR7s but keeping the CR2s going?
 
gpasternak
Posts: 54
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:28 pm

Re: QX begins Q400 fleet reduction

Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:36 am

Had their midday flight booked from SEA-YYC on a q400 Dec 17th. They have since cancelled this flight and placed me on the night embraer flight....wonder if this had something to do with it.
Next flights: MKY-BNE-CNS-TSV-MKY
 
cschleic
Posts: 1814
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2002 10:47 pm

Re: QX begins Q400 fleet reduction

Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:58 am

DiamondFlyer wrote:
JayWings wrote:
Not going to lie, as much as I loved those Q’s... I’m glad to see the early builds go. They are pretty long in the tooth and are not aging gracefully. I just hope QX comes back to its original level of flying (or even grows)and these OO CR2’s can make a swift exit.


Unless there is a large increase in spending by AS on QX, the ship has hit the iceburg and is quickly sinking, to the point of no return shortly.


??? With a bunch of E175s being delivered. Isn't the current situation related to pilot shortages?

MesserJ wrote:
Also OO has sent the remaining CR7 back to storage yesterday, and it has been removed from Alaska's website so I guess it has now been officially retired (only took a year longer than originally expected). I thought the 15 Q400s leaving would've been 400-414 as mentioned previously, but I guess it could be possible it'll be a few more? Does anyone have a confirmation on when QX E175 deliveries resume?


That was quick. I saw it at Sea-Tac on Wednesday taxiing out for a flight.
 
QXAS
Posts: 366
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:26 am

Re: QX begins Q400 fleet reduction

Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:53 am

EA CO AS wrote:
seabosdca wrote:
The QX E175s look and feel great, and the Qs suffer by comparison because they're a bit worn and the seat color is awful. They're hardly the ugliest aircraft out there (the OO CR2s are far worse) but the more E175s AS/QX can put onto routes like SEA-PDX, the better.

In terms of customer experience there is exactly the same dichotomy going on at mainline AS, where the new 737-900ERs look great and the 73Gs/739As feel very tired.


The retrofitting of all interiors to the new AS standard unveiled in March - including the 739A and 73G fleets - will be complete by 4Q19.

Any chance the 73G, 738, 739A get sky interior modifications or is it to expensive/ not possible?
I like the Q400. Last Sunday I saw two Q400s in the new livery. They look great. Can’t tell you the tail numbers. The University planes will be missed. Seattle flyers have been spoiled by all of the variety in the AAG family. Fortunately the swath of international carriers can make up for it.
I am NOT an employee of any airline or manufacturer. I speak for myself, not on the behalf of any company.
 
32andBelow
Posts: 5001
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:54 am

Re: QX begins Q400 fleet reduction

Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:25 am

ucdtim17 wrote:
MesserJ wrote:
Also OO has sent the remaining CR7 back to storage yesterday, and it has been removed from Alaska's website so I guess it has now been officially retired (only took a year longer than originally expected). I thought the 15 Q400s leaving would've been 400-414 as mentioned previously, but I guess it could be possible it'll be a few more? Does anyone have a confirmation on when QX E175 deliveries resume?


What's the rationale for parking the CR7s but keeping the CR2s going?

I Think The 700s were AS OWNED while the 200s are white tail operated and owned by OO
 
username21
Posts: 22
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:31 pm

Re: QX begins Q400 fleet reduction

Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:06 pm

EA CO AS wrote:
seabosdca wrote:
The QX E175s look and feel great, and the Qs suffer by comparison because they're a bit worn and the seat color is awful. They're hardly the ugliest aircraft out there (the OO CR2s are far worse) but the more E175s AS/QX can put onto routes like SEA-PDX, the better.

In terms of customer experience there is exactly the same dichotomy going on at mainline AS, where the new 737-900ERs look great and the 73Gs/739As feel very tired.


The retrofitting of all interiors to the new AS standard unveiled in March - including the 739A and 73G fleets - will be complete by 4Q19.

I assume this doesn't apply to the Qs, though they could use some moodlighting. The WS encore Qs have some pretty nice interiors if someone from AS wants to take a look. I think Alaska's really missing a trick with marketing the Q-400s in the pacific northwest--they really are a lot more efficient than jets, and I think people would happily choose to fly with props given how environmentally conscious the region is.

Are the non-sky interior birds getting bin retrofits and LEDs?
 
User avatar
EA CO AS
Posts: 15743
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2001 8:54 am

Re: QX begins Q400 fleet reduction

Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:16 pm

The remaining Q400s are actually slated for interior upgrades as well!
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group
 
User avatar
LAXintl
Posts: 24697
Joined: Wed May 24, 2000 12:12 pm

Re: QX begins Q400 fleet reduction

Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:26 pm

AAvgeek744 wrote:

United Express flies CR7's to MMH. Unless there is an operational issue that it can't handle E75s, I would assume they'd use those.


MMH has a maximum 79ft wingspan limitation. CR7 just makes it at 76 feet. The E175 sans winglets is 85 while enhanced wingtip version which QX has is 94ft.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California
 
ucdtim17
Posts: 620
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:38 pm

Re: QX begins Q400 fleet reduction

Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:28 pm

32andBelow wrote:
ucdtim17 wrote:
MesserJ wrote:
Also OO has sent the remaining CR7 back to storage yesterday, and it has been removed from Alaska's website so I guess it has now been officially retired (only took a year longer than originally expected). I thought the 15 Q400s leaving would've been 400-414 as mentioned previously, but I guess it could be possible it'll be a few more? Does anyone have a confirmation on when QX E175 deliveries resume?


What's the rationale for parking the CR7s but keeping the CR2s going?

I Think The 700s were AS OWNED while the 200s are white tail operated and owned by OO


Question remains though - CR7s are more modern, efficient, passenger-friendly, etc. Why park them and keep flying the CR2s? Is AS trying to preserve resale value or something?
 
DiamondFlyer
Posts: 3400
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:50 pm

Re: QX begins Q400 fleet reduction

Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:36 pm

cschleic wrote:
DiamondFlyer wrote:
JayWings wrote:
Not going to lie, as much as I loved those Q’s... I’m glad to see the early builds go. They are pretty long in the tooth and are not aging gracefully. I just hope QX comes back to its original level of flying (or even grows)and these OO CR2’s can make a swift exit.


Unless there is a large increase in spending by AS on QX, the ship has hit the iceburg and is quickly sinking, to the point of no return shortly.


??? With a bunch of E175s being delivered. Isn't the current situation related to pilot shortages?


It is, but QX is quickly falling behind in being able to attract pilots that fly at regionals. Many have increased pay, have much quicker upgrade and a future. QX has nothing, other than an ever climbing time to sit in right seat of a dying fleet. QX doesn't offer unique bases, high pay or anything else to attract candidates, plus many young pilots are well connection digitally, and it's not hard to find the widespread unhappiness of QX pilots.
From my cold, dead hands
 
32andBelow
Posts: 5001
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:54 am

Re: QX begins Q400 fleet reduction

Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:47 pm

LAXintl wrote:
AAvgeek744 wrote:

United Express flies CR7's to MMH. Unless there is an operational issue that it can't handle E75s, I would assume they'd use those.


MMH has a maximum 79ft wingspan limitation. CR7 just makes it at 76 feet. The E175 sans winglets is 85 while enhanced wingtip version which QX has is 94ft.

Yah but what’s that bass off of? Just get the airport to change the rules.
 
32andBelow
Posts: 5001
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:54 am

Re: QX begins Q400 fleet reduction

Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:47 pm

ucdtim17 wrote:
32andBelow wrote:
ucdtim17 wrote:

What's the rationale for parking the CR7s but keeping the CR2s going?

I Think The 700s were AS OWNED while the 200s are white tail operated and owned by OO


Question remains though - CR7s are more modern, efficient, passenger-friendly, etc. Why park them and keep flying the CR2s? Is AS trying to preserve resale value or something?

Idk maybe they need engine overhauls or heavy checks.
 
HPRamper
Posts: 5025
Joined: Sat May 14, 2005 4:22 am

Re: QX begins Q400 fleet reduction

Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:54 pm

32andBelow wrote:
They should go all jet on the shuttle anyways to compete against DL

Functionally, there's pretty much no advantage to going jet over prop on such a short flight - the time difference is so small as to not really be noticeable. It's up and down. Moreover a jet will burn a lot more fuel.

Sadly the public has an overwhelming opinion of "Jet = modern, fast and comfortable" and "Prop = old, slow and uncomfortable" even though being a passenger in a new Q-400 is a far, far better experience than flying in an old CR2.
 
User avatar
Acey559
Posts: 1394
Joined: Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:30 pm

Re: QX begins Q400 fleet reduction

Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:00 pm

32andBelow wrote:
LAXintl wrote:
AAvgeek744 wrote:

United Express flies CR7's to MMH. Unless there is an operational issue that it can't handle E75s, I would assume they'd use those.


MMH has a maximum 79ft wingspan limitation. CR7 just makes it at 76 feet. The E175 sans winglets is 85 while enhanced wingtip version which QX has is 94ft.

Yah but what’s that bass off of? Just get the airport to change the rules.


The GA hangars are right up against the taxiway. There’s no way to get a bigger plane in without physically moving the entire taxiway or all the hangars.
In Dixie Land I'll take my stand to live and die in Dixie.
 
cschleic
Posts: 1814
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2002 10:47 pm

Re: QX begins Q400 fleet reduction

Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:31 pm

HPRamper wrote:
32andBelow wrote:
They should go all jet on the shuttle anyways to compete against DL

Functionally, there's pretty much no advantage to going jet over prop on such a short flight - the time difference is so small as to not really be noticeable. It's up and down. Moreover a jet will burn a lot more fuel.

Sadly the public has an overwhelming opinion of "Jet = modern, fast and comfortable" and "Prop = old, slow and uncomfortable" even though being a passenger in a new Q-400 is a far, far better experience than flying in an old CR2.


Too true. While boarding a QX Q400 last week, I heard another passenger comment to his traveling companion "...I hate props...." even though it was a 25 minute flight, is more comfortable than a CR2, etc. But perception can become reality.
 
User avatar
bigfoot0503
Posts: 429
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 5:17 pm

Re: QX begins Q400 fleet reduction

Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:32 pm

QXAS wrote:
EA CO AS wrote:
seabosdca wrote:
The QX E175s look and feel great, and the Qs suffer by comparison because they're a bit worn and the seat color is awful. They're hardly the ugliest aircraft out there (the OO CR2s are far worse) but the more E175s AS/QX can put onto routes like SEA-PDX, the better.

In terms of customer experience there is exactly the same dichotomy going on at mainline AS, where the new 737-900ERs look great and the 73Gs/739As feel very tired.


The retrofitting of all interiors to the new AS standard unveiled in March - including the 739A and 73G fleets - will be complete by 4Q19.

Any chance the 73G, 738, 739A get sky interior modifications or is it to expensive/ not possible?
I like the Q400. Last Sunday I saw two Q400s in the new livery. They look great. Can’t tell you the tail numbers. The University planes will be missed. Seattle flyers have been spoiled by all of the variety in the AAG family. Fortunately the swath of international carriers can make up for it.


I've seen N436QX and N439QX thus far at PDX in the new AS livery. The new paint job on the Q400 looks quite sharp! One way to tell which aircraft are receiving the new livery is to keep an eye on what comes and goes from Victorville (VCV).
 
MesserJ
Posts: 126
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2015 2:09 am

Re: QX begins Q400 fleet reduction

Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:30 pm

bigfoot0503 wrote:
I've seen N436QX and N439QX thus far at PDX in the new AS livery. The new paint job on the Q400 looks quite sharp! One way to tell which aircraft are receiving the new livery is to keep an eye on what comes and goes from Victorville (VCV).

The Q400 definitely wears it well. So far 436, 438, 439, 447, and 449 have been repainted, and 446 is in the process. I just look at KVCV arrivals/departures on Flight Aware and see if there's a QX ferry flight coming in or out.
 
F9Animal
Posts: 4434
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2004 7:13 am

Re: QX begins Q400 fleet reduction

Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:55 pm

I flew on a Q about a year ago, and it was in need of some serious TLC in the cabin. But, I do know QX has an amazing maintenance program. I can't wait to fly on their new 175!!! As for those saying it's the beginning of the end for QX? I disagree. The airline certainly has some work to do, but.... Rest assured... AS and QX are working extra hard to fine tune it. It is a neat little airline with pure potential.
I Am A Different Animal!!
 
F9Animal
Posts: 4434
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2004 7:13 am

Re: QX begins Q400 fleet reduction

Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:56 pm

I flew on a Q about a year ago, and it was in need of some serious TLC in the cabin. But, I do know QX has an amazing maintenance program. I can't wait to fly on their new 175!!! As for those saying it's the beginning of the end for QX? I disagree. The airline certainly has some work to do, but.... Rest assured... AS and QX are working extra hard to fine tune it. It is a neat little airline with pure potential.
I Am A Different Animal!!
 
wedgetail737
Posts: 5273
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2003 8:44 am

Re: QX begins Q400 fleet reduction

Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:58 am

RWA380 wrote:
QX are going to keep some Q-400's for the smaller stations, like MMH, MRY, RDM, LWS, PUW, EAT, YKM, HLN, ALW. The Q-400 is staying with QX for another decade or so, at least that is the plan as of now.


QX will use the Q400's on the smaller markets. But don't the Q400's and the E-175's comparable in passenger capacity? I hope QX will fly some of those E-175's to STS someday.
 
ucdtim17
Posts: 620
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:38 pm

Re: QX begins Q400 fleet reduction

Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:06 am

wedgetail737 wrote:
But don't the Q400's and the E-175's comparable in passenger capacity?


Capacity of 76 on both planes
 
User avatar
RWA380
Posts: 5732
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:51 am

Re: QX begins Q400 fleet reduction

Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:36 am

ucdtim17 wrote:
wedgetail737 wrote:
But don't the Q400's and the E-175's comparable in passenger capacity?


Capacity of 76 on both planes


Biggest difference is an F cabin on the E-175's, with warm meal capability & the jet vs prop thing. IMO, QX will find a market for short haul on the Q-400 & longer routes will be E-175's & new routes in E-175 range will likely start with the model & upgauge as necessary to a 737. I do not know if places like MMH will see 175's, but I'd bet STS does. But many smaller QX stations in the West will remain Q-400 like RDM, EAT, ALW.
707 717 720 727-1/2 737-1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9 747-1/2/3/4 757-2/3 767-2/3/4 777-2/3 DC8 DC9 MD80/2/7/8 D10-1/3/4 M11 L10-1/2/5 A300/310/320
AA AC AQ AS BA BD BN CO CS DL EA EZ HA HG HP KL KN MP MW NK NW OZ PA PS QX RC RH RW SA TG TW UA US VS WA WC WN WP YS 8M
 
packmedic
Posts: 67
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2015 4:03 am

Re: QX begins Q400 fleet reduction

Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:32 am

username21 wrote:
Are the non-sky interior birds getting bin retrofits and LEDs?


QXAS wrote:
Any chance the 73G, 738, 739A get sky interior modifications or is it to expensive/ not possible?


Nothing has been communicated to employees, but I spoke with one of our customer experience managers about this probably 6-12 months ago. It is technically possible to replace the fluorescent lighting with Boeing Sky Interior (BSI) lighting. At the time, nothing was decided, although part of the rationale for not redoing the lighting is that the E75s and Qs have the fluorescent lighting so there would still be a discrepancy when changing planes. The VX Airbus aircraft are also just fluorescent lights behind colored panels, so they don't have LEDs either, and would be relatively easy to convert to plain white lighting if they desired.
A319 A320 A321 A321N A332 A333 A359 A388 AT72 B717 B733 B734 B734C B735 B73G B738 B739 B744 B752 B763 B764 B772 B789 B78X CRJ2 CRJ7 CRJ9 DH8D E135 E140 E145 E170 E175 E190 MD80 MD90
 
QXAS
Posts: 366
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:26 am

Re: QX begins Q400 fleet reduction

Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:23 am

packmedic wrote:
username21 wrote:
Are the non-sky interior birds getting bin retrofits and LEDs?


QXAS wrote:
Any chance the 73G, 738, 739A get sky interior modifications or is it to expensive/ not possible?


Nothing has been communicated to employees, but I spoke with one of our customer experience managers about this probably 6-12 months ago. It is technically possible to replace the fluorescent lighting with Boeing Sky Interior (BSI) lighting. At the time, nothing was decided, although part of the rationale for not redoing the lighting is that the E75s and Qs have the fluorescent lighting so there would still be a discrepancy when changing planes. The VX Airbus aircraft are also just fluorescent lights behind colored panels, so they don't have LEDs either, and would be relatively easy to convert to plain white lighting if they desired.

I care more about the pivot bins than the lighting. The vast majority of each flight the lights are off, they’re a nice touch but pivot bins can make an old plane feel modern, or lack thereof make a brand new plane feel archaic IMO.
I am NOT an employee of any airline or manufacturer. I speak for myself, not on the behalf of any company.
 
amcnd
Posts: 204
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:19 am

Re: QX begins Q400 fleet reduction

Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:20 pm

The 700’s are ready for lease return.. all 6 remaining are in TUS for the return next month.
 
packmedic
Posts: 67
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2015 4:03 am

Re: QX begins Q400 fleet reduction

Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:14 am

amcnd wrote:
The 700’s are ready for lease return.. all 6 remaining are in TUS for the return next month.


You mean the 400s? A few 700s are being converted to freighters, but no 700s are leaving the fleet right now
A319 A320 A321 A321N A332 A333 A359 A388 AT72 B717 B733 B734 B734C B735 B73G B738 B739 B744 B752 B763 B764 B772 B789 B78X CRJ2 CRJ7 CRJ9 DH8D E135 E140 E145 E170 E175 E190 MD80 MD90
 
User avatar
RWA380
Posts: 5732
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:51 am

Re: QX begins Q400 fleet reduction

Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:44 am

packmedic wrote:
amcnd wrote:
The 700’s are ready for lease return.. all 6 remaining are in TUS for the return next month.


You mean the 400s? A few 700s are being converted to freighters, but no 700s are leaving the fleet right now


Funny, I took it as the CR7's, it's always curious how people interpret a post.
707 717 720 727-1/2 737-1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9 747-1/2/3/4 757-2/3 767-2/3/4 777-2/3 DC8 DC9 MD80/2/7/8 D10-1/3/4 M11 L10-1/2/5 A300/310/320
AA AC AQ AS BA BD BN CO CS DL EA EZ HA HG HP KL KN MP MW NK NW OZ PA PS QX RC RH RW SA TG TW UA US VS WA WC WN WP YS 8M

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos