Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

readytotaxi
Topic Author

AA Flight attendant still working at 81

Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:59 pm

This showed up on the news in the UK.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-us-c ... king-at-81

Way to go, if you can do the job, pass the medical, then hell yes, go to work and enjoy life. :bouncy:
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

chepos

Re: AA Flight attendant still working at 81

Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:44 pm

Betty Nash, LUS DCA based FA, sharp and world class. A local celebrity at DCA.
Fly the Flag!!!!

smi0006

Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:04 am

Amazing! Beautifully groomed, classy, warm and friendly! I’d hire 20 of her if I could :)

I wonder what her seniority is? At her age she would be working for lifestyle and a social outting - and look at the wonders it’s done for her? Wish my family was that active at her aging they are slowing down in their late sixties and early seventies.

But I wonder if she picks up the occasional LHR, or CDG with a nice layover? Or is DCA-BOS only?

seabosdca

Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:08 am

She has been working that route a very long time. I remember her from 2006-2008 when I was flying frequently between BOS-DCA on US.

With the pompous self-importance of many DCA passengers it's hard to imagine the route being much fun, but everyone has their preferences. I'm sure she gets to go home every night.

chepos

Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:24 am

smi0006 wrote:
Amazing! Beautifully groomed, classy, warm and friendly! I’d hire 20 of her if I could :)

I wonder what her seniority is? At her age she would be working for lifestyle and a social outting - and look at the wonders it’s done for her? Wish my family was that active at her aging they are slowing down in their late sixties and early seventies.

But I wonder if she picks up the occasional LHR, or CDG with a nice layover? Or is DCA-BOS only?

She only works Shuttle turns and does not layover, number 1 in the seniority list gives you the pick of the litter.
Fly the Flag!!!!

N62NA

Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:28 am

She looks magnificent for 81.

GalaxyFlyer

Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:34 am

DL’s number 1 a few years ago was 89! Sort of ridiculous, imagine an 80+ person handling an emergency evacuation.

GF

777PHX

Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:38 am

Didn't NW have a guy in his 90s before they merged with DL?

kiowa

Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:03 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
DL’s number 1 a few years ago was 89! Sort of ridiculous, imagine an 80+ person handling an emergency evacuation.

GF

That is half of the US Congress. They don't handle things very well either.

CONTACREW

Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:12 am

Norma Heape number 1 on the sub CO side is 80 and is still flying.
Flight Attendants prepare doors for departure, cross check verify straps standby for all call

nutsaboutplanes

Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:19 am

777PHX wrote:
Didn't NW have a guy in his 90s before they merged with DL?

I believe that was Bob Reardon. Bernie Epple was the previous number 1 at NW.....She had a 757-300 named after her.
American Airlines, US Airways, Alaska Airlines, Northwest Airlines, America West Airlines, USAFR

twa727

Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:25 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:

Everyone doesn't age at the same rate -- I'd say we should let people do their job as long as they can meet the requirements for qualification. Heck, after 80+ years, a flight attendant has probably seen so many things that they're better qualified mentally to handle an emergency situation than someone with far less experience.

BAeRJ100

Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:26 am

readytotaxi wrote:
Way to go, if you can do the job, pass the medical, then hell yes, go to work and enjoy life. :bouncy:

Out of curiosity, do other countries require FAs to take ongoing medicals as part of their employment? Here (Australia) it's definitely not the case, regardless of age. To get the job to begin with, yes, but certainly not under normal circumstances to keep the job once you've got it.

At the end of the day, if she passes whatever assessments and line checks she needs, then good on her. Clearly she loves doing her job :)
B737/738/739/744ER/752/753/763/77L/77W/788/789
A223/320/321/332/333/346/359/388
MD82/MD88/717/F100/RJ85/RJ100/146-100/200/300
E175/190/CRJ700/900

727LOVER

Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:49 am

All these people that we are mentioning...these are all FA/s correct?

chepos wrote:

What airline did she hire on with?
Allegheny?
Piedmont?
Mohawk?
Empire?
PSA?
Eastern?
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

chepos

Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:55 am

727LOVER wrote:

chepos wrote:

Allegheny?
Piedmont?
Mohawk?
Empire?
PSA?
Eastern?

Eastern, working the shuttle. Transitioned to Trump and eventually US.
Fly the Flag!!!!

EA CO AS

Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:42 am

chepos wrote:
727LOVER wrote:

chepos wrote:

Allegheny?
Piedmont?
Mohawk?
Empire?
PSA?
Eastern?

Think also about the unbelievable aligning of stars associated with managing to not only survive every one of those bankruptcies and acquisitions, but come through with your original company seniority intact! Great job, Betty!
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

grbauc

Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:17 am

EA CO AS wrote:
chepos wrote:
727LOVER wrote:

Allegheny?
Piedmont?
Mohawk?
Empire?
PSA?
Eastern?

Think also about the unbelievable aligning of stars associated with managing to not only survive every one of those bankruptcies and acquisitions, but come through with your original company seniority intact! Great job, Betty!

WOW good point.. Agree :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup:

Blimpie

Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:32 pm

II know a lot of people like to throw mud at AA, and while not one of them, this comment may come off as being a little muddy, but I have noticed that AA's FAs tend to be quite.... senior compared to my experiences with UA and the foreign flags. I do not mean this as any disparagement, but considering AA's history of labor issues, it goes to say a lot about the loyalty many of the cabin crew have of AA.
Now get the hell off of my lawn your dang kids!

jfklganyc

Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:23 pm

No need for medical in US.

Good for her!

ozark1

Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:34 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:

GF

Every year they are tested in all emergency evacuation procedures. This includes opening the doors with resistance that simulates the weight of the slide. If she couldn't show she could evacuate a plane, she would not remain employed. I'll tell you what's ridiculous, people who assume that because they are old, and perhaps, not as "shapely" in a skirt, they can't perform the job as well. I just flew with someone, about 28, who spent the whole boarding process texting instead of assisting in the cabin. Now that's the definition of ridiculous.

Newbiepilot

Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:45 pm

Blimpie wrote:
II know a lot of people like to throw mud at AA, and while not one of them, this comment may come off as being a little muddy, but I have noticed that AA's FAs tend to be quite.... senior compared to my experiences with UA and the foreign flags. I do not mean this as any disparagement, but considering AA's history of labor issues, it goes to say a lot about the loyalty many of the cabin crew have of AA.

It really depends where you are flying and which base is staffing the flight. US Airways east was incredibly senior due to the continuous layoffs in the 2000s. The absolute most senior FAs can be anywhere since they usually have a history that involves multiple airlines.

However if you fly out of LGA or MIA you are probably going to get a much more junior crew. That is where new hires go. Pretty much flying out of New York will get you a more junior crew on any airline since people don’t want to live there based on cost of living. It is also worth noting that not all new hires are in their 20s. People in their 30s, 40s, and 50s are also in training classes. There is no age limit when hiring in the United States.

chepos

Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:10 pm

Blimpie wrote:

People like to assume foreign carriers only have young 20’something crews working the aisles. BA worldwide crews can be on the senior end (also seen them on LH , KLM and the major Euro carriers.)
Fly the Flag!!!!

many321

Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:42 pm

ozark1 wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:

GF

Every year they are tested in all emergency evacuation procedures. This includes opening the doors with resistance that simulates the weight of the slide. If she couldn't show she could evacuate a plane, she would not remain employed.

Exactly. I have a 90 year old grandmother who still is ripping grass, moving small logs while her 30 year old grandson just sits on his butt watching tv. Was mad at my cousin though, impressed by the strength she still has at her age. So, Betty must be one tough momma.

PI4EVER

Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:23 pm

It is nice to see more positive comments about Betty than the usual "granny tranny" comments for a F/A over age 50.
The F/A who observed me on my new hire training flight in 1969 had 10 years seniority on my date of hire. This woman enjoyed a 56 year career being a F/A, finally retiring in 2015 to devote more time to her life goal.....to complete a marathon in 50 states. She just completed her 47th state this year.
I rest my case :old:
watch what you want. you may get it.

dfwjim1

Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:35 pm

I am just curious...can the 81 year flight old flight attendant work when she feels like it being she is #1 on the seniority list?

InnsbruckFlyer

Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:43 pm

Does she only fly ex-DCA? I think I flew with her back in 2015 on the Philly to Boston shuttle.
Last flown aircraft: DH8D OE-LGN < DH8D OE-LGI < E195 OE-LWE < DH8D OE-LGI < A320 D-AIUR < A320 D-AIZM < B738 PH-HZJ < B737 PH-XRD < B772 N766AN < B738 N855NN < B788 N45905 < A319 N808UA < A320 N482UA < B752 N19117

Planesmart

Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:04 pm

Newbiepilot wrote:
Blimpie wrote:

It really depends where you are flying and which base is staffing the flight. US Airways east was incredibly senior due to the continuous layoffs in the 2000s. The absolute most senior FAs can be anywhere since they usually have a history that involves multiple airlines.

However if you fly out of LGA or MIA you are probably going to get a much more junior crew. That is where new hires go. Pretty much flying out of New York will get you a more junior crew on any airline since people don’t want to live there based on cost of living. It is also worth noting that not all new hires are in their 20s. People in their 30s, 40s, and 50s are also in training classes. There is no age limit when hiring in the United States.

Employers usually make redundancy decisions based on cost. Younger, short service staff, are inexpensive to exit. Older, long service staff are very expensive. When making redundancies, the young and old often lobby the decision makers to be included (though the parents of those youngsters often lobby for the reverse for their kids). Least likely to go are the older ones, with extensive service and seniority, who have accrued substantial redundancy and pensions. They are often the most difficult to work with if retained.

Your attitude to age changes with your own age. After my first degree, I thought I would be ready to retire at 50, and put out of my misery at 60. Now as I approach the big 70, I think 90 sounds like a much better number, and I will curl up my toes when good and ready.

guyanam

Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:57 am

Planesmart wrote:
Your attitude to age changes with your own age. After my first degree, I thought I would be ready to retire at 50, and put out of my misery at 60. Now as I approach the big 70, I think 90 sounds like a much better number, and I will curl up my toes when good and ready.

How true. When I was 19 30 year olds were ancient. Now I am 60 70 doesn't seem so bad. If she has the physical ability to do the job why not. Clearly she picks her routes so doesn't stress herself.

And yes she can teach the "texting generation" a thing or two about humanity! I think that looking some one in the eyes and having empathy will soon be a lost art.

dc10lover

Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:27 pm

That would be cool to fly on her flight to meet her. I admire people like her who loves their job so much, they continue doing what they love to do.
Why endure the nightmare and congestion of LAX when BUR, LGB, ONT & SNA is so much easier to fly in and out of. Same with OAK & SJC when it comes to SFO.

william

Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:51 pm

Anet has suprised me again, I saw this news cast and was waiting for it to be posted on Anet. I was expecting the usual AA has old FA jokes. I am pleasantly surprised by the maturity and humanity of this thread.

4engines4lnghll

Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:14 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:

GF

Hey if they can do the job and pass their training every year, be my guest. I'm sure they could do the job better than these new hires whom I'm still wondering how they get the job in the first place. lol :stirthepot:
4engines4lnghll

cathay747

Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:38 pm

As long as they can pass all the recurrent training, which we all know they must do, and they clearly are, I say YOU GO, GIRL! (or GUY!) I would LOVE to have a F/A like Betty on any flight! Years ago I had an "older woman" as the F/A in First on AA PHX-DFW, and she was utterly marvelous. We should all be so lucky to be in such great shape at 81!
Try a Little VC-10derness

cathay747

Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:42 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:

GF

As Mrs. Quonsett (Helen Hayes) said in the original movie "Airport"..."when you get older, there isn't a lot left to be frightened of".

I'd lay you odds they'd handle an emergency evacuation better than you would. Or myself for that matter. She's in better shape than many of us on this forum I'm sure!
Try a Little VC-10derness

sevenair

Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:47 pm

I'd much prefer an octogenarian or beyond to look after my safety. I'd feel more comfortable with a more elderly purser than some of the kids the airlines seem to drag off of the street who will likely be more interesting in FaceTiming/whatsapping/Instagraming a live evacuation than actually get involved and really helping people.

I'm literally stunned at the immaturity of some crew, lack of people skills and obsession with looks, appearance and doing as little work as possible and I used to be crew.

I'm not getting political but in some parts of the UK unemployment is close to zero and the airlines are literally giving ANYONE a job to crew expansion plans. Speak English, have two arms, two legs and you're hired.

Besides, it looks like an Airbus. Airbus doors have power assist and the overwings are not operated by crew. I can't see why you'd need much strength. If she has the strength to work the canisters and the service carts then she has the strength to do anything else.

Good on her.

Slash787

Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:18 pm

I salute her, way to go!

777PHX

Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:31 pm

sevenair wrote:
I'm literally stunned at the immaturity of some crew, lack of people skills and obsession with looks, appearance and doing as little work as possible and I used to be crew.

I had a flight in F not too long ago, ORD-PHX. The twentysomething F/A threw the food at us as fast she could and spent the majority of the flight playing on her phone, behind the curtain, in the galley.

dcaviation

Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:09 pm

Yesterday I had very senior crew up front on UA IAD-IAH. They were DC based - rude, unattentive, uninterested in passengers.
The same day I had young crew up front on DEN-IAD. Friendly, attentive and always busy with passengers.
Another flight yesterday up front IAH-COS with old crew up front (Republic). Very attentive and friendly.
Today up front on IAD-CVG-IAD I had the same crew (Mesa), the young lady didn't know on what planet she was, but the older lady working up front was very nice and attentive.
So there is no straight answer. It all depends on the people and their desire to provide excellent service.

(If you wonder - this weekend I was doing mileage run)

MDSkyguy

Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:27 pm

She came from Eastern through the Trump Shuttle and was a SCAB at Eastern!

guyanam

Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:53 pm

777PHX wrote:
sevenair wrote:

I had a flight in F not too long ago, ORD-PHX. The twentysomething F/A threw the food at us as fast she could and spent the majority of the flight playing on her phone, behind the curtain, in the galley.

I wonder if that's the same one who I saw on a flight from SKB to JFK, in B class.; I was wondering when a colleague was going to ask her to do so work. It isn't that she was unpleasant. Just loved her phone.

Cody

Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:29 pm

MDSkyguy wrote:

No this is inaccurate. The Eastern employees who went to Trump had already signed over by the time the strike happened on March 4, 1989. Trump required the shuttle to be operational in order for him to take control. The Shuttle people were not scabs and were even supported by ALPA and the TWU to keep it going.

jetblueguy22

Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:28 am

MDSkyguy wrote:

Thread was going too well. Always need a silly comment to wrap it up.
Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club

11725Flyer

Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:35 am

EA CO AS wrote:
chepos wrote:
727LOVER wrote:

Allegheny?
Piedmont?
Mohawk?
Empire?
PSA?
Eastern?

Totally agree!

CobaltScar

Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:08 am

What exactly does her usual pairing look like? Just one dca/bos turn a day or multiple?

Sean-SAN-

Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:07 am

From the outside looking in, it's easy to say "they passed their yearly training so they must be ok." The reality is there is no way a FA with 40 years of seniority is going to get flunked out of training, it just doesn't happen for a variety of reasons. If you think an 80 year old can rapidly open a 777 door or pull people into a life raft, let alone remember all the exit configurations of the entire fleet, you're crazy.

smi0006

Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:37 am

Sean-SAN- wrote:
From the outside looking in, it's easy to say "they passed their yearly training so they must be ok." The reality is there is no way a FA with 40 years of seniority is going to get flunked out of training, it just doesn't happen for a variety of reasons. If you think an 80 year old can rapidly open a 777 door or pull people into a life raft, let alone remember all the exit configurations of the entire fleet, you're crazy.

I think it depends on the airline, I know Aussie Airlines flunk seniors all the time. But I do agree around the life raft, how many times does and FA have to do their wet drills? I only believe in induction? I don’t agree with that.

I do also think US carrier should limit the types an FA can be trained on, no way they can memorise all the equipment locations for every type, for every config! But this is a seperate story.

If Betty can pass well played to her! Personally short haul flying isn’t my thing, if I was her I’d do one long haul a month lol just for shopping.

oldannyboy

Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:52 am

I love the way some 'older people' age... happy, carefree, positive, outgoing, and never afraid of judgmental [email protected]@holes!
Personally I am more comfortable with the sweet, caring, empathic eyes of an older person than with the fidgety fingers of a 20something yo clutching a mobile phone who has no knowledge of the world pre-Internet days. It's the same when I'm in hospital: I'd take an older nurse over a young one any day...more care, more maturity, more experience and generally speaking a lot more empathy.

tjerome

Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:28 pm

Newbiepilot wrote:
Blimpie wrote:

NYC is a junior base at DL as well. Also agreed there are people of all ages starting off as flight attendants.

slider

Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:04 pm

CONTACREW wrote:
Norma Heape number 1 on the sub CO side is 80 and is still flying.

And she's a bitter angry old bat.

slider

Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:05 pm

Sean-SAN- wrote:

Yup. I'm right with you on that.

I guarantee she gets pencil-whipped through recurrent training when they have to do evac drills. It's a dirty little secret no one wants to talk about.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos