Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Noise
Topic Author

Air Canada announces YUL-YYJ with Rouge

Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:03 pm

New seasonal route with Air Canada Rouge A319.

http://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/ai ... 40093.html

LMFNINJA

Re: Air Canada announces YUL-YYJ with Rouge

Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:30 pm

Yikes. More than 5 hours in a Rouge A319 with 29 inch pitch?

I flew on Rouge YYZ-LAS in a A319 and hated every minute of it. The most uncomfortable airplane seat I have sat in.

Rouge really knows how to screw up a good plane.

Cheers.

incitatus

Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:43 pm

LMFNINJA wrote:
(...)

Cheers.

I can't say the A319 is good plane. It is too heavy to be profitable on shorter hauls so airlines have to cram as many seats as possible to make it viable. No wonder its NEO version is not selling very well.
I do not consume Murdoch products including the Wall Street Journal

Dominion301

Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:46 pm

I think we should change the thread title to include the two additional summer-seasonal Rouge routes that were announced, namely YYZ-YCD and YYZ-YKA. Those are equally significant, especially considering this will be YCD's first ever jet service. YCD's growth has been amazing. A decade ago, YVR on AC was the only airline/flight at the airport.

The YCD runway extension sure was a case of "build it and they will come".

Noise
Topic Author

Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:08 pm

Dominion301 wrote:
I think we should change the thread title to include the two additional summer-seasonal Rouge routes that were announced, namely YYZ-YCD and YYZ-YKA. Those are equally significant, especially considering this will be YCD's first ever jet service. YCD's growth has been amazing. A decade ago, YVR on AC was the only airline/flight at the airport.

Wow, didn't know that was also announced. Great news for YCD indeed.

SuperTwin

Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:20 pm

Dominion301 wrote:

Surprising for sure. If I had to guess why...

YCD added due proximity to Tofino and Ucluelet, which have really raised their profile in recent years.

YKA due ??? What does Kamloops have over the existing Kelowna flight?
SuperTwin

skipness1E

Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:25 pm

incitatus wrote:
LMFNINJA wrote:
(...)

Cheers.

I can't say the A319 is good plane. It is too heavy to be profitable on shorter hauls so airlines have to cram as many seats as possible to make it viable. No wonder its NEO version is not selling very well.

Someone needs to tell easyJet that the A319 is the reason they went bust. Oh wait.....

Noise
Topic Author

Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:40 pm

SuperTwin wrote:
Dominion301 wrote:

YCD added due proximity to Tofino and Ucluelet, which have really raised their profile in recent years.

Kamloops has a decent-sized metro area that my guess would be able to support a nonstop to Toronto on its own.

Dominion301

Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:43 pm

Noise wrote:
SuperTwin wrote:
Dominion301 wrote:

Kamloops has a decent-sized metro area that my guess would be able to support a nonstop to Toronto on its own.

Yep the YKA area is now > 100k population. That's more than YMM where AC have 2 mainline flights a day to YYZ (I know YMM is the oil worker shuttle), but unlike YMM, YKA actually has tourism, hence VFR traffic = market stimulation from a nonstop = perfect Rouge route.

767333ER

Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:24 pm

First of all, interesting announcement and good news for YYJ.
LMFNINJA wrote:

I flew on Rouge YYZ-LAS in a A319 and hated every minute of it. The most uncomfortable airplane seat I have sat in.

Cheers.

I’ve been on a couple of them myself and honestly, it’s not the worst thing ever. It still beats driving for that long. I’m 6’-6’1” and if I didn’t slouch I could get my legs under the seat still. There definitely is a noticeable different with the extra inch on the 767, but the seats themselves are better on the A319 and A321 not that any of this really is the point here anyway.
Been on: 732 733 734 73G 738 752 763 A319 A320 A321 CRJ CR7 CRA/CR9 E145 E175 E190 F28 MD-82 MD-83 C172R C172S P2006T PA-28-180

2 ears for spatial hearing, 2 eyes for depth perception, 2 ears for balance... How did Boeing think 1 sensor was good enough?!

North3270

Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:32 pm

Nice additions! I'm surprised no YQQ - YYZ?

ACCS300

Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:54 pm

Tight pitch is a small price to pay for these fantastic nonstop flights to YYZ from these small markets. I'll take Rouge any day over having to backtrack to YVR or change in YYC.

ACDC8

Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:19 pm

I only fly Rouge if I can get a Premium seat on the A319/321 - the 767s I can do econo. Sorry, but just a short flight in Rouge econo on the A319/321 is brutal for legroom - I can't even imagine doing 4 hours plus in one.
Last edited by ACDC8 on Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

ACDC8

Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:33 pm

Noise wrote:

Kamloops couldn't hold it on its own, I would think maybe people driving in from Williams Lake etc. is what AC is banking on.
Dominion301 wrote:

Yep the YKA area is now > 100k population. That's more than YMM where AC have 2 mainline flights a day to YYZ (I know YMM is the oil worker shuttle), but unlike YMM, YKA actually has tourism, hence VFR traffic = market stimulation from a nonstop = perfect Rouge route.

But thats the thing, both WS's and Ac's YMM-YYZ flights are filled with commuters coming in/going from work/home.

YKA does have some tourism, but enough to fill an A319? They have one ski hill, the city itself is a dump and very limited attractions and shopping amenities compared to comparable cities. The Shuswap is no closer than it is from YLW. Other than that, the only real appeal is to head north. I just don't see the appeal for the service, but at only 3x weekly - it might work. Fingers crossed for them. Any expansion is exciting in my opinion.

rampbro

Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:44 pm

It's not often we get a new destination in YYJ, so I'm happy about that. Should take some of the pressure off the morning block, but it will add increased volume during the noontime now that we have both the YYZ and YUL departures around the same time (not to mention WS). It's just a bloody shame its Rouge, otherwise I might have actually switched back over to AC for domestic travel.

kamloops

Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:05 pm

ACDC8 wrote:
Noise wrote:

Kamloops couldn't hold it on its own, I would think maybe people driving in from Williams Lake etc. is what AC is banking on.
Dominion301 wrote:

But thats the thing, both WS's and Ac's YMM-YYZ flights are filled with commuters coming in/going from work/home.

YKA does have some tourism, but enough to fill an A319? They have one ski hill, the city itself is a dump and very limited attractions and shopping amenities compared to comparable cities. The Shuswap is no closer than it is from YLW. Other than that, the only real appeal is to head north. I just don't see the appeal for the service, but at only 3x weekly - it might work. Fingers crossed for them. Any expansion is exciting in my opinion.

Agreed to some of the points, being from Kamloops, but the harder point will be to fill the front (J),

We have coined TCC (Tournament Capital of Canada), also Rockies on our door step, from TA points of view ecstatic, and will do best to put clients on this route,

ACDC8

Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:15 pm

kamloops wrote:

Agreed to some of the points, being from Kamloops, but the harder point will be to fill the front (J),

We have coined TCC (Tournament Capital of Canada), also Rockies on our door step, from TA points of view ecstatic, and will do best to put clients on this route,

Do you guys still get a lot of tournaments?

As for the Rockies, no closer than YLW (sorry, not trying to get into a grudge match with anyone) - just trying to wrap my head around this one :)

BoeingGuy

Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:45 pm

ACDC8 wrote:
Noise wrote:

Dominion301 wrote:

Hmmm, I stopped in Kamloops twice last Summer to/from the Canadian Rockies. I didn't think it was a dump at all. It seemed like a cool city. The surround area is beautiful.

Kamloops has much more than one ski hill. It's the closest airport to a lot of stuff like the Revelstoke area, Glacier National Park (the Canada one), the Frasier and Thompson Rivers and other stuff.

It's also not one ski hill. It's a pretty good ski resort. There's tons of appeal all around the area. Not sure where you get your information about the area, but I don't agree with your comments.

Nanaimo is s more interesting add. That whole middle of Vancouver Island is booming with population. I have a feeling that service will attract much more than just people visiting Tofino. I've often wondered why AS/QX doesn't start serving Nanaimo. That is a cool area too.

kamloops

Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:14 pm

[quote="ACDC8"][quote="kamloops"]

bc winter games

https://www.bcgames.org/Games/BCWinterGames.aspx

Skywatcher

Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:12 pm

YVR and YYC will be losing some transfer passengers.
I've been to all 3 BC cities (Victoria/Kamloops/Nanaimo). It seems like many Canadians retire there-particularly Victoria.
As far as the YUL-YYJ route goes I suspect that some Maritimers well transfer in YUL instead of YYZ. There are also many anglo-Quebecers now living on Vancouver island (I personally know 1/2 a dozen). The last time I went YUL-YYJ I stopped in YVR.

ACDC8

Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:24 pm

BoeingGuy wrote:

Hmmm, I stopped in Kamloops twice last Summer to/from the Canadian Rockies. I didn't think it was a dump at all. It seemed like a cool city. The surround area is beautiful.

Kamloops has much more than one ski hill. It's the closest airport to a lot of stuff like the Revelstoke area, Glacier National Park (the Canada one), the Frasier and Thompson Rivers and other stuff.

It's also not one ski hill. It's a pretty good ski resort. There's tons of appeal all around the area. Not sure where you get your information about the area, but I don't agree with your comments.

I live just over an hour away, thats where I get my info from ;)

The surrounding area is beautiful, geographical wise - I completely agree - my comment was more about the city itself.

As for YKA being the closest airport to Revelstoke and Glacier, YLW is closer (not by much) and has daily shuttles to and from - not sure if YKA has the same.

Boeing744

AC Rouge to start YYJ-YUL and YCD-YYZ

Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:57 pm

http://www.timescolonist.com/business/a ... 1.23110488

Just saw these two new routes would be offered by Rouge seasonally with 3 and 4 flights a week respectively. Both on A319s.

I am quite surprised that AC started Victoria to Montreal before Ottawa. The latter has a lot of government connections which presumably would lead to good yields. One would have thought the CS300 would be ideal for such a route.

Also a huge upgrade for Nanaimo. I believe this would be the city's first regular non-turboprop service.

ddp

Re: AC Rouge to start YYJ-YUL and YCD-YYZ

Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:30 pm

Boeing744 wrote:
http://www.timescolonist.com/business/airline-launching-direct-flights-from-victoria-to-montreal-nanaimo-to-toronto-1.23110488

Just saw these two new routes would be offered by Rouge seasonally with 3 and 4 flights a week respectively. Both on A319s.

I am quite surprised that AC started Victoria to Montreal before Ottawa. The latter has a lot of government connections which presumably would lead to good yields. One would have thought the CS300 would be ideal for such a route.

Also a huge upgrade for Nanaimo. I believe this would be the city's first regular non-turboprop service.

Montreal is a rouge hub and base for employees/planes, so AC will grow YUL for rouge. Ottawa is just a small AC base, with no Rouge operations so AC won't start a flight to two non rouge base cities. Montreal also offers onward connections to Europe (something Ottawa doesn't have).

In 2018 Montreal is adding Dublin, Lisbon,Baltimore, Pittsburgh, Casablanca, Iceland, Nassau, Bucharest plus all the other stops AC has. They want to keep feeding the growing hub.

Skywatcher

Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:05 pm

YUL's links to France (Nantes/Toulouse/Nice/Marseilles/Bordeaux/Basel) are unmatched anywhere else in North America. So are the links to N.Africa (Tunis/Algiers/Casablanca). I would think that anybody flying to these cities from anywhere in North America would find YUL a viable transfer option vs Paris, London etc.
There are also the flights to Geneva, Brussels, Venice, Athens, Barcelona, Tel Aviv and so on that are relatively unserved from many other markets.
I predict that Kelowna (again-lots of ex anglo-Quebecers there) along with Cleveland, Minneapolis and Detroit will be added by AC from YUL in the near future.

AAvgeek744

Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:34 pm

LMFNINJA wrote:

Cheers.

You apparently haven't flown Spirit yet.

HJM

Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:24 am

I wonder if this is a pre-emptive strike against any possible expansion by Flair Air and Jetlines?

Noise
Topic Author

Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:26 am

HJM wrote:
I wonder if this is a pre-emptive strike against any possible expansion by Flair Air and Jetlines?

Possibly.