Page 1 of 1

Air India rules out BCN, strengthens MAD flights instead

Posted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:12 pm
by Mini1000
https://cronicaglobal.elespanol.com/business/air-india-descarta-barcelona-apuesta-madrid_104108_102.html

Link is in Spanish, but google translate will do the trick nicely.

Another victim of the post-separatist Catalan economic meltdown, following in the steps of Aerolineas Argentinas canceling BCN.

Re: Air India rules out BCN, strengthens MAD flights instead

Posted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:42 pm
by NichCage
I don't think AR leaving BCN had anything to do with the economic meltdown. Even without it, BCN seems like it was struggling and it was bound to be cut at some point. It will be cut next year.

Still, I don't think it will stop airline from increasing capacity or frequencies, or launching new routes to BCN. Asiana Airlines will be launching BCN next summer, and the crisis didn't deter them from doing so. Even Korean Air is increasing BCN despite what went on.

Re: Air India rules out BCN, strengthens MAD flights instead

Posted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:49 pm
by SCQ83
Mini1000 wrote:
Another victim of the post-separatist Catalan economic meltdown, following in the steps of Aerolineas Argentinas canceling BCN.


Don't forget Icelandair and Air France leaving BCN too.

http://icelandmonitor.mbl.is/news/natur ... id_instea/

Icelandair to end service to Barcelona, focuses on Madrid instead

Re: Air India rules out BCN, strengthens MAD flights instead

Posted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:02 pm
by TYCOON
AF is NOT leaving Barcelona... the flight is taken over by Joon which is very much AF... I was at CDG today and the BCN flight was a Joon plane but AF flight number...same as always...

Re: Air India rules out BCN, strengthens MAD flights instead

Posted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:08 pm
by SCQ83
TYCOON wrote:
AF is NOT leaving Barcelona... the flight is taken over by Joon which is very much AF... I was at CDG today and the BCN flight was a Joon plane but AF flight number...same as always...


Joon has already an IATA code (JN) and they will be taking over AF's flights as an independent carrier soon. So technically soon AF will no longer fly there (other than codesharing).

Re: Air India rules out BCN, strengthens MAD flights instead

Posted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:14 pm
by mighluss
Don't forget Icelandair and Air France leaving BCN too.


Air France started "JOON" with 51 weekly flights to Paris. I'm unable to remember if AF had any other direct flight from BCN.

It's a pity seeing ICELANDAIR go, Norwegian already seem to have 2 weekly direct flights.

It's a trend seeing "flag" carriers move out of BCN, nothing new. IB first of them.

Re: Air India rules out BCN, strengthens MAD flights instead

Posted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:19 pm
by TYCOON
SCQ83 wrote:
TYCOON wrote:
AF is NOT leaving Barcelona... the flight is taken over by Joon which is very much AF... I was at CDG today and the BCN flight was a Joon plane but AF flight number...same as always...


Joon has already an IATA code (JN) and they will be taking over AF's flights as an independent carrier soon. So technically soon AF will no longer fly there (other than codesharing).


Flights started yesterday for Joon so CDG-BCN already being operated but it is for all intents and purposes AF: you can connect with AF flights, have lounge access, accumulate miles, is part of Skyteam (logo prominently displayed on Joon aircraft).
By claiming AF has left BCN you insinuate that it has done so because of Catalonia related issues, as people claim to be reasons for Icelandair and AI. But in AF’s case far from the truth... they haven’t even reduced frequencies.

Re: Air India rules out BCN, strengthens MAD flights instead

Posted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:40 pm
by nascar1
mighluss wrote:
Don't forget Icelandair and Air France leaving BCN too.


It's a pity seeing ICELANDAIR go, Norwegian already seem to have 2 weekly direct flights.


BCN has 3 airlines flying to KEF: WOW, Norwegian and Vueling. Icelandair flew to BCN once a week so its normal that the airline leave tje route with so much competence.

On the other hand BCN long haul flights are increasing un S18.

-DY is changing 788 to 789 to all USA routes (+18 capacity)
- UA is adding 777 High density to EWR (+19 capacity EWR + IAD if we compare vs S17)
- Level will add a 3rd A332 ( new service to BOS, 6 weekly flight to EZE)
- CA is adding 4th weekly flight to PVG
- OZ will start new flight to ICN with 4 weekly flights
- KE is also adding 5th weekly flight to ICN
- AA is extending ORD until end October
- DL os begining ATL 1 month before than S17.
- TS will fly with A330 with the exception of 2 days a week.

And I've some sources that the told me that ANA will announce Tokyo in a few weeks.

Si BCN is growing in all terms, so stop not telling the truth!

Re: Air India rules out BCN, strengthens MAD flights instead

Posted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:51 pm
by mighluss
nascar1 wrote:
mighluss wrote:
Don't forget Icelandair and Air France leaving BCN too.


It's a pity seeing ICELANDAIR go, Norwegian already seem to have 2 weekly direct flights.


BCN has 3 airlines flying to KEF: WOW, Norwegian and Vueling and Icelandair flew to BCN once a week so its normal that the airline leave fue route with so much competence.

On the other hand BCN long haul flights are increasing un S18.

-DY is changing 788 to 789 to all USA routes (+18 capacity)
- UA is adding 777 High density to EWR (+19 capacity EWR + IAD if we compare with S17)
- Level will add a 3rd A332 ( new service to BOS, 6 weekly flight to EZE)
- CA is adding 4th weekly flight to PVG
- OZ will start new flight to ICN with 4 weekly flights
- KE is Aldo adding 5th weekly flight to ICN
- AA is extending ORD until end October
- DL os begining ATL 1 month earlier
- TS will with A330 with the expection if 2 datos.

And I've some sources that the told me that ANA will announce Tokyo in a few weeks.

Si BCN is growing in all terms, so stop not telling the truth!


Thank you!

USA/CANADA airlines seems to be growing a lot since some years ago.

Asia has started growing recently, even with Emirates and Qatar (one stop flights) competition.

One has to remember that BCN had next to zero intercontinental flights some 10 / 15 years ago. You couldn't see a widebody a/c in weeks...

Re: Air India rules out BCN, strengthens MAD flights instead

Posted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:59 pm
by fjmm92
nascar1 wrote:
mighluss wrote:
Don't forget Icelandair and Air France leaving BCN too.


It's a pity seeing ICELANDAIR go, Norwegian already seem to have 2 weekly direct flights.


BCN has 3 airlines flying to KEF: WOW, Norwegian and Vueling and Icelandair flew to BCN once a week so its normal that the airline leave fue route with so much competence.

On the other hand BCN long haul flights are increasing un S18.

-DY is changing 788 to 789 to all USA routes (+18 capacity)
- UA is adding 777 High density to EWR (+19 capacity EWR + IAD if we compare with S17)
- Level will add a 3rd A332 ( new service to BOS, 6 weekly flight to EZE)
- CA is adding 4th weekly flight to PVG
- OZ will start new flight to ICN with 4 weekly flights
- KE is Aldo adding 5th weekly flight to ICN
- AA is extending ORD until end October
- DL os begining ATL 1 month earlier
- TS will fly with A330 with the exception of 2 days a week.

And I've some sources that the told me that ANA will announce Tokyo in a few weeks.

Si BCN is growing in all terms, so stop not telling the truth!


UA: increase 35% flights EWR-BCN from Nov to Feb and +17% in March
CX: resumes HKG-BCN flights in April, instead of July

Re: Air India rules out BCN, strengthens MAD flights instead

Posted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:05 pm
by SCQ83
mighluss wrote:
USA/CANADA airlines seems to be growing a lot since some years ago.

Asia has started growing recently, even with Emirates and Qatar (one stop flights) competition.

One has to remember that BCN had next to zero intercontinental flights some 10 / 15 years ago. You couldn't see a widebody a/c in weeks...


Looking at Wikipedia in Summer 2007 (10 years ago), it shows the following scheduled intercontinental long-haul flights:

Aerolineas Argentinas (Buenos Aires-Ezeiza)
Air Transat (Montréal, Toronto-Pearson) [seasonal]
Avianca (Bogotá)
Continental Airlines (Newark)
Delta Air Lines (Atlanta [seasonal], New York-JFK)
Singapore Airlines (Singapore)
US Airways (Philadelphia) [seasonal][/list]

And a number of non-EU medium haul airlines that in some cases certainly would use wide bodies (e.g. Transaero)

Aeroflot (Moscow-Sheremetyevo)
Air Algérie (Algiers)
Egyptair (Cairo, Luxor)
Icelandair (Reykjavik-Keflavik)
KD Avia (Kaliningrad-Khrabrovo)
El Al (Tel Aviv)
Rossiya (Saint Petersburg)
Royal Air Maroc (Casablanca, Marrakech, Tangier)
Royal Jordanian (Amman)
S7 Airlines (Moscow-Domodedovo, Novosibirsk [seasonal])
Syrian Arab Airlines (Damascus)
Transaero (Moscow-Domodedovo)
Tunisair (Tunis, Monastir [seasonal])
Turkish Airlines (Istanbul-Atatürk)
Ukraine International Airlines (Kiev-Boryspil, Lviv)
Ural Airlines (Yekaterinburg) [seasonal]
VIM Airlines (Moscow-Domodedovo)[/list]

Re: Air India rules out BCN, strengthens MAD flights instead

Posted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:31 pm
by mighluss
SCQ83 wrote:
mighluss wrote:
USA/CANADA airlines seems to be growing a lot since some years ago.

Asia has started growing recently, even with Emirates and Qatar (one stop flights) competition.

One has to remember that BCN had next to zero intercontinental flights some 10 / 15 years ago. You couldn't see a widebody a/c in weeks...


Looking at Wikipedia in Summer 2007 (10 years ago), it shows the following scheduled intercontinental long-haul flights:

Aerolineas Argentinas (Buenos Aires-Ezeiza)
Air Transat (Montréal, Toronto-Pearson) [seasonal]
Avianca (Bogotá)
Continental Airlines (Newark)
Delta Air Lines (Atlanta [seasonal], New York-JFK)
Singapore Airlines (Singapore)
US Airways (Philadelphia) [seasonal][/list]

And a number of non-EU medium haul airlines that in some cases certainly would use wide bodies (e.g. Transaero)

Aeroflot (Moscow-Sheremetyevo)
Air Algérie (Algiers)
Egyptair (Cairo, Luxor)
Icelandair (Reykjavik-Keflavik)
KD Avia (Kaliningrad-Khrabrovo)
El Al (Tel Aviv)
Rossiya (Saint Petersburg)
Royal Air Maroc (Casablanca, Marrakech, Tangier)
Royal Jordanian (Amman)
S7 Airlines (Moscow-Domodedovo, Novosibirsk [seasonal])
Syrian Arab Airlines (Damascus)
Transaero (Moscow-Domodedovo)
Tunisair (Tunis, Monastir [seasonal])
Turkish Airlines (Istanbul-Atatürk)
Ukraine International Airlines (Kiev-Boryspil, Lviv)
Ural Airlines (Yekaterinburg) [seasonal]
VIM Airlines (Moscow-Domodedovo)[/list]


Ok let's say 15... SQ & AR are real classics here (don't remeber Avianca being so long... but memory is not my best friend), all other routes were seasonal.

Yes, we had the occasional 777 from Egypt or 747 from El-AL or Transaero, and all those Il-86 from russia (ahh...) even a LH A300 to Frankfurt. Of course there were and will be a lot of intercontinental routes to other mediterranean destinations (took myself flights to Istambul in 2000, and to Jerusalem in 2001), even I think there was a direct IB flight to Guinea.

On a side note, I will miss AR A340 struggling over Castelldefels at barely 1000 ft... :D

Edit: I have to mention also USA airlines, all them were the first to really make grow intercontinental traffic from BCN

Re: Air India rules out BCN, strengthens MAD flights instead

Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:19 am
by SCQ83
So hardly there were 0 wide bodies in 2007 in BCN.

And the boom in Asian/Middle Eastern traffic is not any different that what has happened in many other Western European airports (such as MAD).

Re: Air India rules out BCN, strengthens MAD flights instead

Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:57 am
by LIPZ
SCQ83 wrote:
So hardly there were 0 wide bodies in 2007 in BCN.

Back to the early '00 there were just 2 DL flights to JFK and ATL (seasonal).
That was the large amount of long-haul scheduled flights out of El Prat.
The 3rd one, specifically to the United States as well, was launched in MAY05 to PHL.
It was a seasonal flight op by US Airways

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=296413&p=3288499

Re: Air India rules out BCN, strengthens MAD flights instead

Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:18 pm
by nordikcam
SCQ83 wrote:
mighluss wrote:
USA/CANADA airlines seems to be growing a lot since some years ago.

Asia has started growing recently, even with Emirates and Qatar (one stop flights) competition.

One has to remember that BCN had next to zero intercontinental flights some 10 / 15 years ago. You couldn't see a widebody a/c in weeks...


Looking at Wikipedia in Summer 2007 (10 years ago), it shows the following scheduled intercontinental long-haul flights:

Aerolineas Argentinas (Buenos Aires-Ezeiza)
Air Transat (Montréal, Toronto-Pearson) [seasonal]
Avianca (Bogotá)
Continental Airlines (Newark)
Delta Air Lines (Atlanta [seasonal], New York-JFK)
Singapore Airlines (Singapore)
US Airways (Philadelphia) [seasonal][/list]

And a number of non-EU medium haul airlines that in some cases certainly would use wide bodies (e.g. Transaero)

Aeroflot (Moscow-Sheremetyevo)
Air Algérie (Algiers)
Egyptair (Cairo, Luxor)
Icelandair (Reykjavik-Keflavik)
KD Avia (Kaliningrad-Khrabrovo)
El Al (Tel Aviv)
Rossiya (Saint Petersburg)
Royal Air Maroc (Casablanca, Marrakech, Tangier)
Royal Jordanian (Amman)
S7 Airlines (Moscow-Domodedovo, Novosibirsk [seasonal])
Syrian Arab Airlines (Damascus)
Transaero (Moscow-Domodedovo)
Tunisair (Tunis, Monastir [seasonal])
Turkish Airlines (Istanbul-Atatürk)
Ukraine International Airlines (Kiev-Boryspil, Lviv)
Ural Airlines (Yekaterinburg) [seasonal]
VIM Airlines (Moscow-Domodedovo)[/list]


Did you take recently a RB Syrian or NN Vim Airlines from BCN to somewhere ? :-)

Re: Air India rules out BCN, strengthens MAD flights instead

Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:27 pm
by Jayafe
TYCOON wrote:
Flights started yesterday for Joon so CDG-BCN already being operated but it is for all intents and purposes AF: you can connect with AF flights, have lounge access, accumulate miles, is part of Skyteam (logo prominently displayed on Joon aircraft).
By claiming AF has left BCN you insinuate that it has done so because of Catalonia related issues, as people claim to be reasons for Icelandair and AI. But in AF’s case far from the truth... they haven’t even reduced frequencies.


So Joon offer similar services? Correct. Is Joon replacing AF? Indeed. So AF leaving BCN is a fact? 100% true

Re: Air India rules out BCN, strengthens MAD flights instead

Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:25 am
by Cunard
mighluss wrote:
SCQ83 wrote:
mighluss wrote:
USA/CANADA airlines seems to be growing a lot since some years ago.

Asia has started growing recently, even with Emirates and Qatar (one stop flights) competition.

One has to remember that BCN had next to zero intercontinental flights some 10 / 15 years ago. You couldn't see a widebody a/c in weeks...


Looking at Wikipedia in Summer 2007 (10 years ago), it shows the following scheduled intercontinental long-haul flights:

Aerolineas Argentinas (Buenos Aires-Ezeiza)
Air Transat (Montréal, Toronto-Pearson) [seasonal]
Avianca (Bogotá)
Continental Airlines (Newark)
Delta Air Lines (Atlanta [seasonal], New York-JFK)
Singapore Airlines (Singapore)
US Airways (Philadelphia) [seasonal][/list]

And a number of non-EU medium haul airlines that in some cases certainly would use wide bodies (e.g. Transaero)

Aeroflot (Moscow-Sheremetyevo)
Air Algérie (Algiers)
Egyptair (Cairo, Luxor)
Icelandair (Reykjavik-Keflavik)
KD Avia (Kaliningrad-Khrabrovo)
El Al (Tel Aviv)
Rossiya (Saint Petersburg)
Royal Air Maroc (Casablanca, Marrakech, Tangier)
Royal Jordanian (Amman)
S7 Airlines (Moscow-Domodedovo, Novosibirsk [seasonal])
Syrian Arab Airlines (Damascus)
Transaero (Moscow-Domodedovo)
Tunisair (Tunis, Monastir [seasonal])
Turkish Airlines (Istanbul-Atatürk)
Ukraine International Airlines (Kiev-Boryspil, Lviv)
Ural Airlines (Yekaterinburg) [seasonal]
VIM Airlines (Moscow-Domodedovo)[/list]


Ok let's say 15... SQ & AR are real classics here (don't remeber Avianca being so long... but memory is not my best friend), all other routes were seasonal.

Yes, we had the occasional 777 from Egypt or 747 from El-AL or Transaero, and all those Il-86 from russia (ahh...) even a LH A300 to Frankfurt. Of course there were and will be a lot of intercontinental routes to other mediterranean destinations (took myself flights to Istambul in 2000, and to Jerusalem in 2001), even I think there was a direct IB flight to Guinea.

On a side note, I will miss AR A340 struggling over Castelldefels at barely 1000 ft... :D

Edit: I have to mention also USA airlines, all them were the first to really make grow intercontinental traffic from BCN


Plus British Airways have been sending a Boeing 763 to Barcelona more or less on a daily basis on the second early morning flight from LHR as I have taken that flight on numerous occasions since 1998.

Re: Air India rules out BCN, strengthens MAD flights instead

Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:30 am
by Cunard
mighluss wrote:
Don't forget Icelandair and Air France leaving BCN too.


Air France started "JOON" with 51 weekly flights to Paris. I'm unable to remember if AF had any other direct flight from BCN.

It's a pity seeing ICELANDAIR go, Norwegian already seem to have 2 weekly direct flights.

It's a trend seeing "flag" carriers move out of BCN, nothing new. IB first of them.


I'm not sure that you can state that IB was the first flag carrier to leave BCN.

As far as I am aware IB still fly on the BCN to MAD shuttle!

Plus a couple of routes operated by Air Nostrum in full IB colours and flight numbers.