trijetsonly
Topic Author

Lufthansa now Skytrax 5-Star

Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:11 pm

http://www.airlinequality.com/news/lufthansa-certified-as-5-star-airline/

Quote: Lufthansa has been Certified with the highest 5-Star Airline rating by SKYTRAX, the international air transport rating organisation. SKYTRAX has bestowed this distinguished honor to only nine other airlines in the world, and Lufthansa is the only European airline to earn this accolade.
Happy Landings

777Mech

Re: Lufthansa now Skytrax 5-Star

Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:17 pm

The business class seating is atrocious though. It's 2017 and they still do 2-2-2 across.

At least it's better than EK.

seahawk

Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:23 pm

With the current business class - lol.

flyboy_se

Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:23 pm

Congratulations to LH. Having flown them mostly on intra Europe flights, they are very consistent. Always friendly staff and aircraft are in great condition.
Some of their longer flights use the Euro business class which is just a middle seat blocked, so not sure if those passengers would agree with the 5 star rating.
I prefer to be crazy and happy rather than normal and bitter

r2rho

Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:31 pm

I guess Skytrax only looks at lounges and long-haul business class, and the economy legroom on their new NEO's did not come into consideration for this...

Polot

Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:34 pm

r2rho wrote:
I guess Skytrax only looks at lounges and long-haul business class, and the economy legroom on their new NEO's did not come into consideration for this...

Skytrax only looks at money and who is willing to pay/advertise them the most.

aerorobnz

Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:16 pm

Way to bring the whole Skytrax ranking into further disrepute. The same can be said for all the industry ranking systems though. They're all bogus.
Flown to 147 Airports in 62 Countries on 83 Operators and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

LH982

Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:17 pm

r2rho wrote:

I've seen nothing 5 star about any LH lounge I've visited.

Varsity1

Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:23 pm

Polot wrote:
r2rho wrote:

bingo
"PPRuNe will no longer allow discussions regarding Etihad Airlines, its employees, executives, agents, or other representatives. Such threads will be deleted." - ME3 thug airlines suing anyone who brings negative information public..

yonahleung

Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:34 pm

I cannot think of anything of LH that deserves 5-stars...
The 320s? European Business Class? That 1 EUR biscuit on european flights? Unfriendly cabin crews? Honestly I am out of words for this
I guess this just shows Skytrax is a money game.

VC10er

Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:41 pm

IMHO I think that their First Class lounge at Frankfurt is 5 Star. I would move in there and live if I could.
I need to check them out, I’m sort of more curious about who is 4 and 3 stars!
Who is the most credible ratings organization? Is Skytrax one?
To Most the Sky is The Limit, For me, the Sky is Home.

dtw2hyd

Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:52 pm

Polot wrote:
r2rho wrote:

Every rating and social media site is. But history shows when service gets really bad even the most money-minded rating sites cannot agenda edit all bad reviews. They will demand more money and ratings will go down the hill.

aaexecplat

Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:26 pm

LH's F Class is definitely 5-Star. So is their F Terminal at FRA. I flew them on the 748 in J (FRA-ORD in upper deck) a couple of years ago in their current J (footsie) product and while the seat is just OK, the service and food were outstanding and completely on par with the service and food on other 5-Star airlines like CX and NH that I have gotten to enjoy both before and since. LH's Senator lounges at FRA are excellent and again...hold up well when compared to the J lounges for NH at NRT or CX J lounges at HKG. Not quite as good, but comparably close.

In Y, LH is not 5-Star. Certainly worlds away from the Y standards at SQ where flying Y always feels MUCH more pleasant than any other airline I have flown in Y. I have flown LH dozens of times in the last few years and find crews uniformly good. Sometimes one gets a crew that is more "efficient", but they are always helpful and empathetic. Again....I don't think the crews at CX and NH are substantially better. I have actually had some CX crews in J that have been very cold and in one case so borderline rude that one had to think twice before ringing the service button on a 15 hour flight. The other item where LH is going off the 5-Star rails is in seat comfort in Y. The new interior for short haul is so darn cramped and hard to sit on that calling it 5-Star is absurd.

But I suspect the rating is not connected to what happens in Y. It's in F and J where these ratings are formed.

Phosphorus

Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:58 pm

aaexecplat wrote:
But I suspect the rating is not connected to what happens in Y. It's in F and J where these ratings are formed.

If that's the case, the business class on their A321 and A320 probably was never reviewed by the Skytrax. Honestly, with seat pitch that tight?
AN4 A40 L4T TU3 TU5 IL6 ILW I93 F50 F70 100 146 ARJ AT7 DH4 L10 CRJ ERJ E90 E95 DC-9 MD-8X YK4 YK2 SF3 S20 319 320 321 332 333 343 346 722 732 733 734 735 73G 738 739 744 74M 757 767 777
Ceterum autem censeo, Moscovia esse delendam

yycdel

Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:37 pm

Long overdue

LH is certainly among the best airlines in the world. Right at the top

Setjet

Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:39 pm

https://i2.wp.com/www.upinthesky.nl/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/Lufthansa.jpg?resize=708%2C531

Congratulations, great achievement of all 25.000 Lufthansa flight attendants working hard on every single flight! Special 747 is also out now!

Polot

Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:41 pm

Setjet wrote:
https://i2.wp.com/www.upinthesky.nl/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/Lufthansa.jpg?resize=708%2C531

Congratulations, great achievement of all 25.000 Lufthansa flight attendants working hard on every single flight! Special 747 is also out now!

See my earlier comment about Skytrax giving it to airlines willing to pay/advertise them the most (within reason of course to maintain "credibility", they are not going to give Spirit 5 stars).

Probably part of the post Air Berlin PR blitz- LH don't want to look like the "bad guy" with the monopoly, what better way to make Germans feel better than news that LH is such a great airline with top service?

jpetekyxmd80

Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:42 pm

yycdel wrote:
Long overdue

LH is certainly among the best airlines in the world. Right at the top

That is insane.

They could start by being as good as their subsidiaries LX and OS.
The Best Care in the Air, 1984-2009

LAX772LR

Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:53 pm

Who cares? ...no, seriously: who is it that this is expected to have any impact on.

Frequent flyers know better.
Infrequent flyers don't care.
Shareholders don't receive any value.

.......so who's genuinely supposed to care about this, other than AvGeeks who aren't aware of the pay4play nature of these bogus rankings?

Gotta be someone, as (for whatever reason) this is apparently still a thing.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

ankaraflyjet

Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:21 pm

Y product does not deserve 5 star, this will encourage LH to scrap Y product even more thinking they are doing more than average, not good...

adambrau

Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:46 pm

Agree Y class seats are pretty tough to bear on long flights, and C-class European seats basically the same with blocked center. But in terms of reliability, cleanliness, C&F-Class longhaul product, LH is pretty amazing. I would fly them more if not for GS spending qualifications on United.
France is in the Air

Newbiepilot

Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:03 pm

They also have one of the worst frequent flyer programs. It is amazing they are still part of Star Alliance since they don’t even give miles on many of their fares. They only care about full fare economy, business and first when earning miles yet make it incredibly difficult to redeem for business or first. Charging seat assignments, high density economy, and low quality short haul business with economy seats with the middle blocked don’t make LH particularly appealing to me.

undertheradar

Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:14 pm

Skytrax is the FIFA of the skies. Money changing hands everywhere lol

mict

Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:23 am

Next with Skytrax: British Airways now 5-star airline

(Wouldn't even surprise me)

CHI2DFW

Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:29 am

mict wrote:

Nah, Spirit is 5 Stars!

speedbird52

Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:36 am

Newbiepilot wrote:
They also have one of the worst frequent flyer programs. It is amazing they are still part of Star Alliance since they don’t even give miles on many of their fares. They only care about full fare economy, business and first when earning miles yet make it incredibly difficult to redeem for business or first. Charging seat assignments, high density economy, and low quality short haul business with economy seats with the middle blocked don’t make LH particularly appealing to me.

You sure we use the same program? I literally never have issues with getting Business class tickets on miles and more. They are quite literally always available. As for short haul Business- as poor as the hard product is all EU airlines are like that. Their service and First class are the two things about LH that are five star imo, but I would agree for the most part they are just a really good 4 star airline. Much better then TK though.

conaly

Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:47 am

Setjet wrote:
Special 747 is also out now!

They even have two 5Starhansa airplanes:

747-8 (D-ABYM):
https://i.imgur.com/mmaQ1Tn.jpg

A320-200 (D-AIZX)
https://i.imgur.com/V6MUlP2.jpg
Airports 2019: ADB, ALG, AMD, ATL, BOS, CTS, DEL, DTW, DUS, EWR, FRA, FUK, HAM, HIJ, HND, IST, JFK, MUC, NGO, NUE, OKA, PHL, SIN, STN, YYZ
Planned 2019: BOG, CDG, FRA, HFT, HVG, MUC, NUE, TOS, ZRH

Jomar777

Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:38 am

speedbird52 wrote:
Newbiepilot wrote:

You sure we use the same program? I literally never have issues with getting Business class tickets on miles and more. They are quite literally always available. As for short haul Business- as poor as the hard product is all EU airlines are like that. Their service and First class are the two things about LH that are five star imo, but I would agree for the most part they are just a really good 4 star airline. Much better then TK though.

Their intra European service is poor. Level par to what you get with most ordinary EU Airlines and not further than what you get from the LCC (except of course Ryanair). Their long haul service is good but nothing out of extraordinary. Service wise, they are efficient but that's it. Nothing extra, no extra mile effort and poor Economy service. Their Business Class is quite good but nothing out of extraordinary.

When I compare with, let's say, Air France, a 4* Airline, I find the French actually better even more because their cabin crew and their catering is great. Their Rewards Program is poor compared to what I get from One World and Sky Service.

For comparison, I usually also use Qatar Airways quite often (they are the only one flying between LHR and Doha now, anyway...), another 5 star Skytrax, and their service is way much better. Their cabin crew is great, food is very good and their ground staff, be it on the check-in desks, be it all the way to the Aircraft is simply faultless and extremely friendly regardless if you are flying coach, full economy, business, etc. Also their luggage allowance is much better than LH (mind - AF and LATAM sometimes have double of LH's allowance).

CX is same level than QR too.

All in all, for LH to get a chance to be 5*, they should at least try to beat Austrian and Swiss but they at present are not even close to be the best 4* around.

LH658

Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:47 am

I enjoy my flights with LH, transit at FRA is decent, not as good as AMS. LH staff, food, and on board service seems be adequate. LH A320 business class sucks, wish the Europeans match the Americans with recliner seats.

Newbiepilot

Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:37 am

speedbird52 wrote:
Newbiepilot wrote:

I wasn’t very clear. I was referring to how the treat members of mileage programs other than theirs in Star Alliance. The miles they offer and limited premium class inventory is about the worst you get for a member of say United Mileage Plus.

TK short haul business class actually has a comfortable seat ;)

KarelXWB

Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:51 am

And now we know why Lufthansa revealed their new 777X business class product several years ahead of introduction:

Ever asked yourself why @lufthansa just now revealed the look of its 2020 C class product in new 777s? Part of the campaign to get fifth @airlinequality #Skytrax star shortly #PaxEx

To get @airlinequality #Skytrax 5th Star @lufthansa was asked to reveal its 2020 Business product early #PaxEx

https://twitter.com/SpaethFlies
What we leave behind is not as important as how we've lived.

vorellanaj

Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:20 pm

mict wrote:

I think the same. But BA J product in their times was very innovative for providing direct access to the aisle. Today, the space available to the passenger is too narrow in comparison with another airlines (AA for example). Other point is the outdated IFE available on some aircrafts (specifically Mid J 747 and some 777 : Rockwell Collins)

If LH is now a 5-Star Airline , mmmm.. AA would be a 4-Star Airline using the same criteria. (AA was 4-Star before 9/11)
The aviation world will be bored if only twins fly with commercial passengers. I love 747s

downdata

Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:47 pm

Polot wrote:
r2rho wrote:

eastafspot

Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:34 pm

Released in 2013 (page 4)

"Product enhancement program in place to improve revenue quality and become 5 star airline"

https://investor-relations.lufthansagro ... 013-10.pdf

Congrats to the Germans, but why did it take so long?
Fly with Air Burundi, Air Tanzania, Golden Wings Aviation, Kenya Airways, RwandAir and Uganda Airlines...Jumuiya ya Afrika mashariki !

dredgy

Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:52 pm

777Mech wrote:
The business class seating is atrocious though. It's 2017 and they still do 2-2-2 across.

At least it's better than EK.

The 2-2-2 doesn’t bother me so much on Lufthansa, but the inwards angle does, I don’t like nearly touching feet with my neighbour.

Service has been very, very good lately in J and F but quality of product - food in particular, though also seats - is not 5 Star. I’ve always thought of Lufthansa premium cabins as a good benchmark - they consistently do things very well but don’t have that “wow” factor.

Also, the FRA lounges on Schengen flights are atrocious, though I really like some of their outstation lounges - DEL in particular. And the welcome lounge is excellent.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos