Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Socrates17
Topic Author

East Asian Airlines at Newark Liberty

Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:04 pm

I guess this is as much of a kvetch (complaint) as it is a question, but it's really irritating that the only nonstop options from EWR to East Asia are CX to HKG, CA to PEK and UA to HKG & NRT.
I know the reason: They don't think EWR will do the business for them.
But, I have family in Seoul and driving from northern NJ to JFK to collect & deposit them is a real nuisance. Since they don't speak English very well, connecting in SFO or ORD has proven to be problematic in the past. Connecting in HKG is usually much more expensive. So, the only viable option seems to be ICN - PEK & PEK - EWR on CA. PEK is one of the few major East Asian airports that I'm not familiar with, so I don't know how user-friendly it is.

Meanwhile, on the other side of Manhattan, JFK gets non-stops on CA, NH, OZ, CX, CI, MU, CZ, BR, HU, JL, KE, PR, SQ & MF. Good grief! Share the wealth, folks.

Is there any hope that KE or OZ would ever launch non-stops to EWR? There's a huge South Korean diaspora in northern NJ, certainly equal to that in Queens. Lots of places here, including libraries and voting booths, have English/Spanish/Korean trilingual signs. OZ could also connect to *A partner UA, although I grant that they're probably just fine doing that at UA hubs farther west.

There are several large Japanese electronics and camera companies with US headquarters near me. Would JL or NH ever be likely to do a non-stop to EWR? NH would also be able to connect to UA, although they, too, are probably satisfied with their current connections. Newark Liberty is out of the way.
You Can't Take the Sky from Me

TWA772LR

Re: East Asian Airlines at Newark Liberty

Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:19 pm

UA also flies to PEK and PVG from EWR.

With all the nonstops from East Asia to NYC and the countless one-stop connections, there may not be room to feasibly serve EWR for the oriental airlines.

FWIW, UA's EWR-NRT flight number carried on to ICN when they still had the ICN-NRT tag. EWR-ICN may be in the cards for the near future.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

Socrates17
Topic Author

Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:25 pm

TWA772LR wrote:
FWIW, UA's EWR-NRT flight number carried on to ICN when they still had the ICN-NRT tag. EWR-ICN may be in the cards for the near future.

Yeah, I even took that in J one year. We had to offload at NRT, wait in the lounge for maybe 2 hours (this was a decade + ago, and my memory ain't great) and go back through a security check.

klakzky123

Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:28 pm

EWR is really *A dominant. I guess in theory Asiana could switch to EWR but that seems unlikely.

Is there an issue with connecting in NRT? As an alternative, you can connect via YVR on AC as well.

irelayer

Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:40 pm

Socrates17 wrote:
I guess this is as much of a kvetch (complaint) as it is a question, but it's really irritating that the only nonstop options from EWR to East Asia are CX to HKG, CA to PEK and UA to HKG & NRT.
I know the reason: They don't think EWR will do the business for them.
But, I have family in Seoul and driving from northern NJ to JFK to collect & deposit them is a real nuisance. Since they don't speak English very well, connecting in SFO or ORD has proven to be problematic in the past. Connecting in HKG is usually much more expensive. So, the only viable option seems to be ICN - PEK & PEK - EWR on CA. PEK is one of the few major East Asian airports that I'm not familiar with, so I don't know how user-friendly it is.

Meanwhile, on the other side of Manhattan, JFK gets non-stops on CA, NH, OZ, CX, CI, MU, CZ, BR, HU, JL, KE, PR, SQ & MF. Good grief! Share the wealth, folks.

Is there any hope that KE or OZ would ever launch non-stops to EWR? There's a huge South Korean diaspora in northern NJ, certainly equal to that in Queens. Lots of places here, including libraries and voting booths, have English/Spanish/Korean trilingual signs. OZ could also connect to *A partner UA, although I grant that they're probably just fine doing that at UA hubs farther west.

There are several large Japanese electronics and camera companies with US headquarters near me. Would JL or NH ever be likely to do a non-stop to EWR? NH would also be able to connect to UA, although they, too, are probably satisfied with their current connections. Newark Liberty is out of the way.

I don't know where in Northern NJ you live, but have you tried this:

http://www.skystub.com/go-local/

http://www.businessinsider.com/asiana-a ... ego-2014-3

I don't know if it runs, but I've found references to it.

There is a similar thing that leaves from a Korean market here in San Diego and drops you off at LAX. And most of the passengers are probably Korean as well.

-IR

airbazar

Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:45 pm

Socrates17 wrote:
[...]

Lets analyze. Manila is not in East Asia, and SQ flies to FRA, also not in East Asia :)
So that leaves this:
EWR: HKG, PEK, TYO, PVG
JFK: HKG, PEK, TYO, ICN, TPE, PVG, CAN, CTU, FOC
So unless the Chinese carriers chose to start serving EWR, I don't see EWR ever matching JFK.
Having said that, do EWR and JFK count as the same destination under China's "1 carrier, 1 route" policy? If not, I'm surprised HU hasn't tried PEK-EWR.

eal

Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:51 pm

airbazar wrote:
Socrates17 wrote:
[...]

Lets analyze. Manila is not in East Asia, and SQ flies to FRA, also not in East Asia :)
So that leaves this:
So unless the Chinese carriers chose to start serving EWR, I don't see EWR ever matching JFK.
Having said that, do EWR and JFK count as the same destination under China's "1 carrier, 1 route" policy? If not, I'm surprised HU hasn't tried PEK-EWR.

Nice try being cheeky, but the OP is clearly referring to East Asia as opposed to West Asia (India and the Middle East), both Manila and Singapore are in South EAST Asia if you wanna get nit picky

airbazar

Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:58 pm

eal wrote:
airbazar wrote:
Socrates17 wrote:
[...]

So that leaves this:

Nice try being cheeky, but the OP is clearly referring to East Asia as opposed to West Asia (India and the Middle East), both Manila and Singapore are in South EAST Asia if you wanna get nit picky

Being cheeky about what? I'm not sure what you are arguing about. Did you even read my post? I didn't include any routes to India or the ME in my comparison. Or Manila, or Singapore. THAT WAS my point. They are NOT in East Asia.

kaichinshih

Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:05 pm

Apparently CI is looking at other airports in NYC since fees at JFK are too high. Let's see if they'll move to EWR.
(Source in Traditional Chinese: https://udn.com/news/story/7266/2854614)

eamondzhang

Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:06 pm

airbazar wrote:

No I don't think EWR and JFK counts as the same destination, but CA already flies PEK-EWR, anywhere from 4x to daily depending on season. HU did apply for the authority well before CA started the route but they never used it.

Michael

Overthecascades

Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:11 am

eamondzhang wrote:
airbazar wrote:

No I don't think EWR and JFK counts as the same destination, but CA already flies PEK-EWR, anywhere from 4x to daily depending on season. HU did apply for the authority well before CA started the route but they never used it.

Michael

CA started EWR (only four per week) to stop HU, under this “one airline one route” policy, as we hear from the street.

jfklganyc

Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:32 am

EWR fees are higher than JFK. They're both higher than anyone else. Misery loves company.

For the OP...one word: FLUSHING.

Queens has it; Jersey doesn't. Nothing can match the size and scope of that neighborhood combined with southern Brooklyn. The Asian population now stretches from Flushing East to Great Neck, North to Whitestone, and south to Fresh Meadows. Basically all of NE Queens. As the older White people die off or move each year, the Asian population increases in size. Houses in Bayside, Whitestone, North Flushing, Fresh Meadows, Auburndale, and Douglaston now solely sell to Asian people. They are usually immigrants with strong ties to the homeland.

No reason to serve EWR over JFK. Only the larger airlines will commit a 14 hour flight to both airports

hayzel777

Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:18 am

airbazar wrote:
Socrates17 wrote:
[...]

So that leaves this:

I don't get it. How is Manila not in "East Asia"?

hayzel777

Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:19 am

kaichinshih wrote:
Apparently CI is looking at other airports in NYC since fees at JFK are too high. Let's see if they'll move to EWR.
(Source in Traditional Chinese: https://udn.com/news/story/7266/2854614)

EWR fees are exorbitant too, possibly even more than JFK.

eamondzhang

Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:09 am

Overthecascades wrote:
eamondzhang wrote:
airbazar wrote:

Michael

CA started EWR (only four per week) to stop HU, under this “one airline one route” policy, as we hear from the street.

Not entirely true, CA flew it daily during the summer months and will do this again next year (albert on 789 instead of 77W). And IIRC it was probably 2-3 years after HU applied for EWR authority that CA started the route, which means by the time HU's authority was already lost.

Michael

STT757

Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:34 pm

Korean air used to serve EWR-ICN, they left after 9/11, and BR flew EWR-TPE for over twenty years before moving to JFK about two years ago. It's just a matter of time before UA launches EWR-ICN, and possibly EWR-TPE. The op mentioned Bergen County NJ, the top ten towns in the US with the highest percentage of Korean Americans are all in Bergen County.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._cities_with_significant_Korean-American_populations#Top_ten_municipalities_as_ranked_by_Korean-American_percentage_of_overall_population_in_2010

If / when UA deploys 787s from EWR I think ICN and TPE would be perfect for the 789.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

airbazar

Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:55 pm

hayzel777 wrote:
airbazar wrote:
Socrates17 wrote:
[...]

So that leaves this:

The Philippines are considered Southeast Asia.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Associati ... an_Nations

DolphinAir747

Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:56 pm

What EWR really needs is a ME3 carrier nonstop (EK’s ATH flight is a joke) to serve the huge Indian population around EWR.

STT757

Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:00 pm

DolphinAir747 wrote:
What EWR really needs is a ME3 carrier nonstop (EK’s ATH flight is a joke) to serve the huge Indian population around EWR.

EWR has pretty good India coverage:

UA DEL, BOM
AI DEL, BOM, Ahmedabad

If UA deploys 787s to EWR then Bangalore, Chennai and Hyderabad are possible. CO cited their plans to fly those routes from EWR with the 787 prior to the merger with UA.

Qatar's first US route was EWR, which was an A330 that stopped in Geneva. Also MH served KUL via DXB with 744s and 772s.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

airzim

Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:28 pm

One possible issue as well is EWR cannot support A380 operations.

hayzel777

Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:27 pm

airbazar wrote:
hayzel777 wrote:
airbazar wrote:
So that leaves this:

The Philippines are considered Southeast Asia.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Associati ... an_Nations

Does East Asia not encompass both SEA and NEA? Same could be said that TYO etc. are not considered East Asia but Northeast Asia.

dmstorm22

Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:47 pm

STT757 wrote:
DolphinAir747 wrote:

EWR has pretty good India coverage:

UA DEL, BOM
AI DEL, BOM, Ahmedabad

If UA deploys 787s to EWR then Bangalore, Chennai and Hyderabad are possible. CO cited their plans to fly those routes from EWR with the 787 prior to the merger with UA.

Qatar's first US route was EWR, which was an A330 that stopped in Geneva. Also MH served KUL via DXB with 744s and 772s.

I'm sure the local NJ/NY market can support non-stop service to Bangalore, Chennai and Hyderabad, but will that eat away at some portion of the DEL and BOM traffic UA currently gets. Those flights I believe are filled, and UA gets the enviable position to be able to sustain non-stop US-India flights on US metal, but I would imagine there would be some self-cannibalization of those routes if they open up BLR/MAA/HYD.

pasu129

Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:53 pm

Guys, it's clearly a rant of the OP not getting what he/she wanted to make it convenient for him/herself. No need to dig deep into the geolocation, load factor/O&D, JFK will forever be an international hub which EWR will not ever be able to match. Period.

With that said, should EWR have more East Asia destination? Absolutely! Though most international passengers only know New York by JFK, EWR has a much easier connection into NYC than JFK at any day, let alone North NJ.
Viva Las Vegas

dmstorm22

Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:08 pm

pasu129 wrote:
Though most international passengers only know New York by JFK, EWR has a much easier connection into NYC than JFK at any day, let alone North NJ.

This is a common refrain I hear. Hell, I live in NJ and consider JFK to be the premier gateway. But this mostly is in the eyes of inbound passengers.

Outbound passengers (or in the case of the OP, airport pickup and droppoffs) would care more about location, and I too find it strange that so few foreign international airlines fly into EWR. Not only Asian ones, or even ME3, but even European airlines. I know this is partly driven by consolidation and growth of UA at EWR filling most of these locations + limited slots in the past + rising airport fees, but it still is a bit surprising. The NJ market is not small, is one of the more ethnically diverse in the country, and is quite affluent.

For the OPs point, ti wouldn't shock me for EWR-ICN to start up over the next 12-18 months. That does seem to be a significant hole in UA's EWR Asia network, and I'm sure it could get a lot of NJ-located Koreans flying out to Korea to shift from OZ/KE at JFK.

blooc350

Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:19 pm

The answer to your prayers

SQ is bringing back their famous SIN-EWR with the new A350 ULR

catiii

Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:20 pm

jfklganyc wrote:

For the OP...one word: FLUSHING.

Queens has it; Jersey doesn't. Nothing can match the size and scope of that neighborhood combined with southern Brooklyn. The Asian population now stretches from Flushing East to Great Neck, North to Whitestone, and south to Fresh Meadows. Basically all of NE Queens. As the older White people die off or move each year, the Asian population increases in size. Houses in Bayside, Whitestone, North Flushing, Fresh Meadows, Auburndale, and Douglaston now solely sell to Asian people. They are usually immigrants with strong ties to the homeland.

No reason to serve EWR over JFK. Only the larger airlines will commit a 14 hour flight to both airports

Bingo. Also, Queens would be the 4th largest city in the US if it were standalone, and Queens also has the largest Chinese population in the US.

airbazar

Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:21 pm

hayzel777 wrote:
Does East Asia not encompass both SEA and NEA? Same could be said that TYO etc. are not considered East Asia but Northeast Asia.

Hey, I'm just the messenger here. I don't make the rules.
To add to the confusion, maybe there is no such thing as Northeast Asia because there's really only 1 country in Northeast Asia which also happens to be an European country: Russia LOL

dmstorm22 wrote:
For the OPs point, ti wouldn't shock me for EWR-ICN to start up over the next 12-18 months. That does seem to be a significant hole in UA's EWR Asia network, and I'm sure it could get a lot of NJ-located Koreans flying out to Korea to shift from OZ/KE at JFK.

I'm sure UA is happy just having its code on OZ's flight from JFK rather than start its own route from EWR for the same reason that DL doesn't fly JFK-ICN and instead puts its code on KE's flights, or AA doesn't fly JFK-HKG and instead puts its code on CX's flights. The Asian carriers offer lower costs.

bhxdtw

Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:31 pm

Hey guys, this might sound a little off topic here but someone mentioned it earlier... EWR has AC to YVR... a flight just less than 5hrs.. Why is it operated by a 787 ? If it's because of the fact it's connecting two star hubs and therefore carrying a lot of connection traffic then that would make sense... Almost.
EWR - YVR - XXX (Asia) on AC... although I'd assume UA would want to route connections thru SFO/LAX/IAH before it sent them to YVR..

so yeah, why a 787 on YVREWRYVR ?

dmstorm22

Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:40 pm

bhxdtw wrote:
Hey guys, this might sound a little off topic here but someone mentioned it earlier... EWR has AC to YVR... a flight just less than 5hrs.. Why is it operated by a 787 ? If it's because of the fact it's connecting two star hubs and therefore carrying a lot of connection traffic then that would make sense... Almost.
EWR - YVR - XXX (Asia) on AC... although I'd assume UA would want to route connections thru SFO/LAX/IAH before it sent them to YVR..

Seems to be mostly utlizing a plane that would otherwise sit a while at YVR. Also, only non-stop from NYC-YVR.

bzcat

Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:56 pm

dmstorm22 wrote:
bhxdtw wrote:

Seems to be mostly utlizing a plane that would otherwise sit a while at YVR. Also, only non-stop from NYC-YVR.

CX888/889 begs to differ

Socrates17
Topic Author

Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:07 pm

Thanks for all the great suggestions, info and opinions, folks! I read all of them but didn't want to tie up the board replying individually. Yeah, I realized that I was being a bit arbitrary defining Southeast Asia (but not South Asia) as "East Asia", but my post was long enough already! I wish I could afford it, but the next time I go myself I'd love to connect in DXB on EK, who do serve EWR. It's the long way around, but I do so love being airborne.

dmstorm22

Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:08 pm

bzcat wrote:
dmstorm22 wrote:
bhxdtw wrote:

CX888/889 begs to differ

Good call. Knew I was forgetting something.

Actually we can add PR's JFK-YVR-MNL to that list too!

Bricktop

Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:43 pm

klakzky123 wrote:
EWR is really *A dominant. I guess in theory Asiana could switch to EWR but that seems unlikely.

Agreed. OZ used an A380 to JFK until just recently when they downgauged to a 777 presumably for the winter. KE usually runs 2x380's although
again I think KE85 is now a B748.

EWR has no 380 service.

tphuang

Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:28 pm

pasu129 wrote:
Guys, it's clearly a rant of the OP not getting what he/she wanted to make it convenient for him/herself. No need to dig deep into the geolocation, load factor/O&D, JFK will forever be an international hub which EWR will not ever be able to match. Period.

With that said, should EWR have more East Asia destination? Absolutely! Though most international passengers only know New York by JFK, EWR has a much easier connection into NYC than JFK at any day, let alone North NJ.

As mentioned earlier in this thread, the largest gathering of Asian population in NYC are in queens Brooklyn and bayside. All of which are infinitely closer to JFK than ewr, so please drop this easier connection into NYC, which basically only applies to downtown manhattan and possibly midtown west.

flyguy1

Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:11 pm

blooc350 wrote:
The answer to your prayers

SQ is bringing back their famous SIN-EWR with the new A350 ULR

That hasn't been confirmed yet, it could be JFK.
727, L1011, MD80, A300, 777-200, 737-300, 737-700, 747-400, 757-200, 737-800, A320. E190, E135, 767-200, CRJ9

flyguy1

Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:12 pm

airbazar wrote:
Socrates17 wrote:
[...]

So that leaves this:

Can also include CKG (HU).
727, L1011, MD80, A300, 777-200, 737-300, 737-700, 747-400, 757-200, 737-800, A320. E190, E135, 767-200, CRJ9

dmstorm22

Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:20 pm

flyguy1 wrote:
[...]Having said that, do EWR and JFK count as the same destination under China's "1 carrier, 1 route" policy? If not, I'm surprised HU hasn't tried PEK-EWR.

Given that CA flies both PEK-EWR and PEK-JFK, I would guess EWR and JFK aren't grouped together in the 1-carrer/1-route policy (unless it doesn't apply to CA for NYC?).

IAHWorldflyer

Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:22 pm

Doesn't PR fly YVR-JFK as well? As part of the MNL-YVR-JFK routing. Not sure if they have fifth freedom rights.

lesfalls

Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:11 pm

IAHWorldflyer wrote:
Doesn't PR fly YVR-JFK as well? As part of the MNL-YVR-JFK routing. Not sure if they have fifth freedom rights.

They do. The flight operates 3x weekly.
Lufthansa: Einfach ein bisschen besser.

global2

Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:14 pm

pasu129 wrote:
Absolutely! Though most international passengers only know New York by JFK, EWR has a much easier connection into NYC than JFK at any day, let alone North NJ.

Only if you happen to live just outside the Holland Tunnel. Want to go to the UES? Fuggedaboutit. And it's often worse heading out to EWR. I'm sticking with JFK, it costs less too.

huaiwei

Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:26 pm

flyguy1 wrote:
That hasn't been confirmed yet, it could be JFK.

Regardless of which airport it does not matter. SIN is not in East Asia. :D

I am a geography teacher in Singapore, so may the rest of you stop trying to tell me which region I "actually" belong to. For the sake of education once and for all:

East Asia *only* comprises:
China (+HK and Macau), Taiwan, Japan, the Koreas, Mongolia

Southeast Asia comprises:
Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam, Myanmar, Malaysia, Thailand, the Philippines, Indonesia, Singapore, Brunei, East Timor

South Asia comprises:
India, Sri Lanka, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, Nepal, Maldives. Some say Afghanistan too.

If you want to refer to the entire part of Asia east of India, just say "Asia-Pacific" then, although that does include the entire ocean and surrounding states!
It's huaiwei...not huawei. I have nothing to do with the PRC! :)

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos