Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

aerolimani
Topic Author

Heavies at Aeroméxico: a 644g inflight magazine

Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:06 am

At 644g (about 1.4 lbs), this seems like a lot of extra weight to be carrying around, with one in every seat pocket. How can they justify the cost of it? Is there enough advertising revenue? No wonder we’re only allowed to have 10kg carry-ons now. Does any other airline have such weighty reading material?

smi0006

Re: Heavies at Aeroméxico: a 644g inflight magazine

Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:05 am

What an interesting point! QF have made quiet a point with PER-LHR about reducing the weight of glassware and crockery by 10% will help fuel burn. Sure AM isn’t doing ULH but every cent counts.

PlaneCookies

Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:27 am

I remember the topic of in-flight magazines at LCC's came up some years ago. It was then said that the added cost, weight and complexity was far outweighed by the revenue from selling advertisements in the magazine. While AM is not a LCC, I would assume that it is the same for them, revenue outweighs total costs.. Although 644g is indeed a weighty tome!

CrimsonNL

Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:33 am

That's interesting! I ususally take in flight mags from the airlines I've flown on, and I always noticed that Air France's are also really big and heavy. Though as pretty much al LCC's still have in flight mags, including FR I think, there must be some way to make money of it!

Martijn

SheikhDjibouti

Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:09 am

aerolimani wrote:
At 644g (about 1.4 lbs), this seems like a lot of extra weight to be carrying around, with one in every seat pocket. How can they justify the cost of it? Is there enough advertising revenue? No wonder we’re only allowed to have 10kg carry-ons now. Does any other airline have such weighty reading material?

A most excellent point.
And it allows us to quantify the weight savings Boeing made when they selected the latest Li-Ion battery design for the 787; just 70 in-flight magazines.
Seventy!

On the bright side; at least you have got plenty of reading material to occupy you whilst the batteries fizz & crackle in their new containment boxes. :rotfl:

That is all.

TheFlyingDisk

Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:30 am

aerolimani wrote:

You're only allowed 10 kg carry-on?

That's 3 kg more than what's allowed in my neck of the woods...

xdlx

Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:47 am

Some airlines still believe on the EXPERIENCE they provide. I laugh at all those magazine racks flying EMPTY on DL and AA.......

michman

Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:40 pm

An inflight mag that is mostly a bunch of ads trying to sell me stuff and a few puff pieces is supposed to add to my "experience"? Give me a break.

jetmatt777

Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:40 pm

Airlines do pretty good advertising with their magazines. 1 you have a captive audience who out of boredom may have no
choice but to thumb through, and 2 you have several very specific demographics you can reach. Vacationers and businessmen and businesswomen are the primary audiences. Notice how many adds in magazines are for expensive services such as top of the line doctors, dentists, and plastic surgeons? Also I see a lot of advertising for expensive cars and condos in tropical locations. These ads must work for the client because I notice several ads for many years are consistent.

BooDog

Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:26 pm

For AA, The inflight magazine ad revenue must be more than the fuel cost of the added weight. A thicker issue like this one is fine if enough ads are sold.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos