Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
loisencroach
Topic Author
Posts: 611
Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2005 3:56 am

B6 starts ORH-JFK

Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:31 am

 
F27500
Posts: 875
Joined: Sun May 07, 2017 12:52 am

Re: B6 starts ORH-JFK

Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:44 am

Only one flight each way though.
 
airliner371
Posts: 2405
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:53 pm

Re: B6 starts ORH-JFK

Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:46 am

Plans were announced months ago, flights went on sale today.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1356599
 
jetbluefan1
Posts: 3310
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2003 8:39 am

Re: B6 starts ORH-JFK

Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:05 am

On its own, ORH-JFK is probably a marginal (if not unprofitable) add, but it does achieve a few things - notably more goodwill with Massport, which B6 seems to have a good relationship with. It also achieves more aircraft utilization (look at those flight times - 6am departure from and 11:50PM arrival into ORH), and helps strengthen B6's #1 position in Mass.

It will be interesting to see how many people decide to fly, say, ORH-JFK-SFO instead of driving up the road to BOS for a nonstop. And at what - if any - premium.
 
User avatar
VS4ever
Posts: 2599
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2004 10:03 am

Re: B6 starts ORH-JFK

Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:28 am

well given the introductory fares can be found for $24, i would say the starting point of this will definitely be unprofitable. Massport has just spent $30m on CAT III upgrade to ORH to try and attract just this sort of flight. This is really down to a connection flight, this is an E190 that RON's at ORH for a 6.00am flight out to JFK, to catch all the connections, without having to trek up to BOS, certainly might be worth doing, especially outside of FLL and MCO, which are already flown out of ORH. This route is most likely a "favor" to Massport while they try to expand service from the airport, which even with the infrastructure upgrades, still has it's issues, but Massport definitely need a return on their investment and now they can get more reliable service because of the ability to operate in worse conditions than they could before, hopefully we will see a bit more of this, whether it will stick or make money for B6, is definitely questionable, but quid pro quo i am sure is going around here somewhere. I will be interested to see how this shakes out, we'll be tracking this as best we can on the Rest of New England thread (Massport does not report separate Worcester numbers generally), then we will know for sure in August 18 when the first report comes out from the T-100's for May at least on loads, we may never know how the yields.

B6 676 JFK 22.45-23.50 ORH E190 D
B6 671 ORH 6.04-7.00 JFK E190 D
That feeling when you sit at the end of a runway, brakes are released and the raw power takes over. Now that is a thing of beauty and it never gets old.
 
jetbluefan1
Posts: 3310
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2003 8:39 am

Re: B6 starts ORH-JFK

Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:57 am

VS4ever wrote:
well given the introductory fares can be found for $24, i would say the starting point of this will definitely be unprofitable. Massport has just spent $30m on CAT III upgrade to ORH to try and attract just this sort of flight. This is really down to a connection flight, this is an E190 that RON's at ORH for a 6.00am flight out to JFK, to catch all the connections, without having to trek up to BOS, certainly might be worth doing, especially outside of FLL and MCO, which are already flown out of ORH. This route is most likely a "favor" to Massport while they try to expand service from the airport, which even with the infrastructure upgrades, still has it's issues, but Massport definitely need a return on their investment and now they can get more reliable service because of the ability to operate in worse conditions than they could before, hopefully we will see a bit more of this, whether it will stick or make money for B6, is definitely questionable, but quid pro quo i am sure is going around here somewhere. I will be interested to see how this shakes out, we'll be tracking this as best we can on the Rest of New England thread (Massport does not report separate Worcester numbers generally), then we will know for sure in August 18 when the first report comes out from the T-100's for May at least on loads, we may never know how the yields.

B6 676 JFK 22.45-23.50 ORH E190 D
B6 671 ORH 6.04-7.00 JFK E190 D


Hopefully we will know the yields once they are published in Q2 by BLS. ORH-FLL/MCO are already published so I don't see why ORH-JFK wouldn't be.

CAT III should help with the reliability of the current flights, which often have to divert to BOS during low visibility. Although that's one very expensive upgrade. Maybe we will see other airlines consider ORH...DL...G4.. :eyepopping:
 
User avatar
N717TW
Posts: 600
Joined: Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:24 pm

Re: B6 starts ORH-JFK

Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:58 am

VS4ever wrote:
Massport definitely need a return on their investment


Massport is a quasi-state agency and as such their return on investment can have different, non-monetary outcomes. Getting more service and most particularly, getting service that connects Worcester Airport into a hub and therefore the airline's network is worth it. Although in my opinion, it would be a bigger deal if Massport was able to get AA to fly to PHL or DL to fly to JFK/ATL as their networks are just that much larger.

As awesome as having a nonstop to NYC might be* and as great as JetBlue is, the win on this route is that Worcester is now connected to the rest of the country and many international destinations via JFK.

*its worth nothing that Main St., Worcester to Times Square, NYC is roughly 3 hours. flying is going to take longer when all things are considered.
 
bendytendy
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:28 am

Re: B6 starts ORH-JFK

Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:37 am

Perhaps if this is sucessful, they can try ORH-BOS, to get the connections that aren't available at JFK :-D
 
JRL3289
Posts: 71
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:57 pm

Re: B6 starts ORH-JFK

Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:09 am

N717TW wrote:
VS4ever wrote:
Massport definitely need a return on their investment


Massport is a quasi-state agency and as such their return on investment can have different, non-monetary outcomes. Getting more service and most particularly, getting service that connects Worcester Airport into a hub and therefore the airline's network is worth it. Although in my opinion, it would be a bigger deal if Massport was able to get AA to fly to PHL or DL to fly to JFK/ATL as their networks are just that much larger.

As awesome as having a nonstop to NYC might be* and as great as JetBlue is, the win on this route is that Worcester is now connected to the rest of the country and many international destinations via JFK.

*its worth nothing that Main St., Worcester to Times Square, NYC is roughly 3 hours. flying is going to take longer when all things are considered.


Three hours... the Connecticut traffic wildcard notwithstanding. ;)

But like you and others have said, the value is plugging into the B6 JFK hub. Yet even taking that into consideration, with BOS and BDL so close it's easy to see how ORH-JFK could struggle to attract a sustainable fare premium. I suppose given B6 has already been flying ORH-FLL/MCO, they must see something in ORH-JFK. That, or it really is just a Massport appeasement.
 
cloudboy
Posts: 1130
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2004 12:38 pm

Re: B6 starts ORH-JFK

Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:43 pm

The extremely early departure/late arrival may be a bit of a detriment, but if they keep the fares somewhat low, I think it will do really well. I live in the Worcester area. It costs me on average $80 to $100 or more to get to Logan and back when you factor in parking, gas, and tolls. And it takes at least 2 hours each way because you have to factor i times waiting for the Logan Express bus or shuttle buses from the parking lots. For a lot of people, those west of 495, Worcester will be a half hour trip, short security times, and $7 a day parking with no tolls. The time and cost savings will add up.

Worcester's issue in the past was less to do with the number of fliers as it had to do with weather conditions and having to divert so many flights.
"Six becoming three doesn't create more Americans that want to fly." -Adam Pilarski
 
cheapgreek
Posts: 566
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:57 pm

Re: B6 starts ORH-JFK

Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:49 pm

JRL3289 wrote:
N717TW wrote:
VS4ever wrote:
Massport definitely need a return on their investment


Massport is a quasi-state agency and as such their return on investment can have different, non-monetary outcomes. Getting more service and most particularly, getting service that connects Worcester Airport into a hub and therefore the airline's network is worth it. Although in my opinion, it would be a bigger deal if Massport was able to get AA to fly to PHL or DL to fly to JFK/ATL as their networks are just that much larger.

As awesome as having a nonstop to NYC might be* and as great as JetBlue is, the win on this route is that Worcester is now connected to the rest of the country and many international destinations via JFK.

*its worth nothing that Main St., Worcester to Times Square, NYC is roughly 3 hours. flying is going to take longer when all things are considered.


Three hours... the Connecticut traffic wildcard notwithstanding. ;)

But like you and others have said, the value is plugging into the B6 JFK hub. Yet even taking that into consideration, with BOS and BDL so close it's easy to see how ORH-JFK could struggle to attract a sustainable fare premium. I suppose given B6 has already been flying ORH-FLL/MCO, they must see something in ORH-JFK. That, or it really is just a Massport appeasement.


For those in the metro Worcester area its sure beats the drive to BOS and especially BDL. There is a large a enough market to support more service such as been mentioned, ORH-PHL, ORH-DTW, ORH-CLT, ORH-ATL, etc. Large RJ's would be a good fit.
 
User avatar
jfklganyc
Posts: 6429
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2004 2:31 pm

Re: B6 starts ORH-JFK

Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:08 pm

I wish they would start BDL JFK

That has been a hole in JFKs network for a while now!
 
nmdrdh787
Posts: 185
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:39 am

Re: B6 starts ORH-JFK

Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:19 pm

cloudboy wrote:
The extremely early departure/late arrival may be a bit of a detriment, but if they keep the fares somewhat low, I think it will do really well. I live in the Worcester area. It costs me on average $80 to $100 or more to get to Logan and back when you factor in parking, gas, and tolls. And it takes at least 2 hours each way because you have to factor i times waiting for the Logan Express bus or shuttle buses from the parking lots. For a lot of people, those west of 495, Worcester will be a half hour trip, short security times, and $7 a day parking with no tolls. The time and cost savings will add up.

Worcester's issue in the past was less to do with the number of fliers as it had to do with weather conditions and having to divert so many flights.


As a former resident of the area I 100% agree with this. Good alternative to MHT (I was in Shirley, closer to NH), and much better than trecking to BOS because my family hates going into the city. Every time I have flown in here, I have had to take the silver line, either walk or take the Red to the Green line, and then to North Station to catch the Fitchburg line train.

Just looking at the fares ORD-ORH, the cost is $239 which is comparable to BOS at times. Plus the utilization is extremely smart. Most travelers will want to leave from ORH in morning, come back late at night.

I would expect B6 to launch a few more connectors like this, its actually a pretty smart idea to boost loadfactors.
 
User avatar
dvincent
Posts: 1592
Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2007 9:53 am

Re: B6 starts ORH-JFK

Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:04 pm

It's a shame that the inaugural flight is on a weekday; I would buy a same day return just to be on the initial flights, especially with the low introductory fares. I've never been on an inaugural flight before.

Hell, I might do it anyway just to knock ORH off my B6 destination list. The timing is really good for a day or weekend trip into New York, if you don't mind getting up at the crack of dawn.
From the Mind of Minolta
 
VS11
Posts: 1714
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2001 6:34 am

Re: B6 starts ORH-JFK

Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:16 pm

This flight should do well I think. Central Mass also has tons of students who could use this flight for connections via JFK. Also, Worcester has bid for the Amazon second HQ and the new ILS along with the B6 JFK flight would definitely go a long way for the bid - airport proximity was a key requirement for Amazon.
 
User avatar
VS4ever
Posts: 2599
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2004 10:03 am

Re: B6 starts ORH-JFK

Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:26 pm

nmdrdh787 wrote:
cloudboy wrote:
The extremely early departure/late arrival may be a bit of a detriment, but if they keep the fares somewhat low, I think it will do really well. I live in the Worcester area. It costs me on average $80 to $100 or more to get to Logan and back when you factor in parking, gas, and tolls. And it takes at least 2 hours each way because you have to factor i times waiting for the Logan Express bus or shuttle buses from the parking lots. For a lot of people, those west of 495, Worcester will be a half hour trip, short security times, and $7 a day parking with no tolls. The time and cost savings will add up.

Worcester's issue in the past was less to do with the number of fliers as it had to do with weather conditions and having to divert so many flights.


As a former resident of the area I 100% agree with this. Good alternative to MHT (I was in Shirley, closer to NH), and much better than trecking to BOS because my family hates going into the city. Every time I have flown in here, I have had to take the silver line, either walk or take the Red to the Green line, and then to North Station to catch the Fitchburg line train.

Just looking at the fares ORD-ORH, the cost is $239 which is comparable to BOS at times. Plus the utilization is extremely smart. Most travelers will want to leave from ORH in morning, come back late at night.

I would expect B6 to launch a few more connectors like this, its actually a pretty smart idea to boost loadfactors.


I like how they have done this one, but am i right in saying that ORH only has 2 contact gates? meaning they could add a similar style service from the 2nd gate, as for other routes, I am not sure B6 will add a whole lot more, there isn't really a need for them to do so, with a 1 stop strategy through JFK,MCO and FLL to most points in their system. Frankly I think ORH is ripe for G4 and some regional RJ's. to build out a bigger route network that Massport really wants to bring in. I thought i read somewhere in the past there were up to 300K pax a year running through ORH, at the moment, MCO/FLL are running at around 110K, so find the right network and the folks might be there? profitably? that's a whole other story.
That feeling when you sit at the end of a runway, brakes are released and the raw power takes over. Now that is a thing of beauty and it never gets old.
 
F27500
Posts: 875
Joined: Sun May 07, 2017 12:52 am

Re: B6 starts ORH-JFK

Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:46 pm

bendytendy wrote:
Perhaps if this is sucessful, they can try ORH-BOS, to get the connections that aren't available at JFK :-D


Hey, Delta used to run 727-200s and DC9-30s BOS-MHT-ORH-LGA .. so why not? ;) ;)
 
superjeff
Posts: 1424
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:14 am

Re: B6 starts ORH-JFK

Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:04 pm

F27500 wrote:
bendytendy wrote:
Perhaps if this is sucessful, they can try ORH-BOS, to get the connections that aren't available at JFK :-D


Hey, Delta used to run 727-200s and DC9-30s BOS-MHT-ORH-LGA .. so why not? ;) ;)


inherited from Northeast Airlines which operated FH227 equipment and DC9-30's.
 
F27500
Posts: 875
Joined: Sun May 07, 2017 12:52 am

Re: B6 starts ORH-JFK

Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:14 pm

superjeff wrote:
F27500 wrote:
bendytendy wrote:
Perhaps if this is sucessful, they can try ORH-BOS, to get the connections that aren't available at JFK :-D


Hey, Delta used to run 727-200s and DC9-30s BOS-MHT-ORH-LGA .. so why not? ;) ;)


inherited from Northeast Airlines which operated FH227 equipment and DC9-30's.


Yep! Im a huge fan of that era in aviation .. so much fun to peruse the old timetables and OAGs and see such wild short hop routings like that .. all usually as tags from a longer sector .. but still!
Lots of those multi-stop milk runs back in the day on all the carriers .. and in big planes too!
 
RobertS975
Posts: 998
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2005 2:17 am

Re: B6 starts ORH-JFK

Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:20 pm

The flight times create some interesting crew utilization issues. The incoming crew into ORH arrives just before midnight and thus cannot legally fly the 6AM departure out the next morning due to rest time regulations. So I am betting that somehow these E190 crews will be shuttling back and forth to BOS, otherwise it makes no sense at all.

Edited to say: Never mind! The crews from one of the Florida flights will simply swap positions and crew the next AM. Sorry, missed the fact that there were FL flights.
 
F27500
Posts: 875
Joined: Sun May 07, 2017 12:52 am

Re: B6 starts ORH-JFK

Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:28 pm

RobertS975 wrote:
The flight times create some interesting crew utilization issues. The incoming crew into ORH arrives just before midnight and thus cannot legally fly the 6AM departure out the next morning due to rest time regulations. So I am betting that somehow these E190 crews will be shuttling back and forth to BOS, otherwise it makes no sense at all.

Edited to say: Never mind! The crews from one of the Florida flights will simply swap positions and crew the next AM. Sorry, missed the fact that there were FL flights.


Not sure if they still do these, but I remember PSA used to to "stand up overnights" at our station (HVN) some years back. The crew flew only the one leg in at night and technically remained "on duty" overnight .. even tho they were in their hotel .. then operated just the first leg back in the AM. That way they got around the 8 hour rest rule.

Is that kind of thing still done ?
 
User avatar
dvincent
Posts: 1592
Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2007 9:53 am

Re: B6 starts ORH-JFK

Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:45 pm

VS4ever wrote:
nmdrdh787 wrote:
cloudboy wrote:
The extremely early departure/late arrival may be a bit of a detriment, but if they keep the fares somewhat low, I think it will do really well. I live in the Worcester area. It costs me on average $80 to $100 or more to get to Logan and back when you factor in parking, gas, and tolls. And it takes at least 2 hours each way because you have to factor i times waiting for the Logan Express bus or shuttle buses from the parking lots. For a lot of people, those west of 495, Worcester will be a half hour trip, short security times, and $7 a day parking with no tolls. The time and cost savings will add up.

Worcester's issue in the past was less to do with the number of fliers as it had to do with weather conditions and having to divert so many flights.


As a former resident of the area I 100% agree with this. Good alternative to MHT (I was in Shirley, closer to NH), and much better than trecking to BOS because my family hates going into the city. Every time I have flown in here, I have had to take the silver line, either walk or take the Red to the Green line, and then to North Station to catch the Fitchburg line train.

Just looking at the fares ORD-ORH, the cost is $239 which is comparable to BOS at times. Plus the utilization is extremely smart. Most travelers will want to leave from ORH in morning, come back late at night.

I would expect B6 to launch a few more connectors like this, its actually a pretty smart idea to boost loadfactors.


I like how they have done this one, but am i right in saying that ORH only has 2 contact gates? meaning they could add a similar style service from the 2nd gate, as for other routes, I am not sure B6 will add a whole lot more, there isn't really a need for them to do so, with a 1 stop strategy through JFK,MCO and FLL to most points in their system. Frankly I think ORH is ripe for G4 and some regional RJ's. to build out a bigger route network that Massport really wants to bring in. I thought i read somewhere in the past there were up to 300K pax a year running through ORH, at the moment, MCO/FLL are running at around 110K, so find the right network and the folks might be there? profitably? that's a whole other story.


ORH has six gates total. Four that are capable of jetways—though only two are installed—and two ground-level gates. The ground level gates would need their own security checkpoint as AFAIK they aren't accessible from the upstairs checkpoint. I've walked through them in the past to go out to ramp-level events like the flying museums that show up occasionally, but my memory's a bit cloudy as to whether or not they're accessible from upstairs.

Installing one or two more jetways would be an easy upgrade if ORH does get busy. I imagine that back in the day those ground-level gates got good use before all the big carriers pulled out.

From the Mind of Minolta
 
cloudboy
Posts: 1130
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2004 12:38 pm

Re: B6 starts ORH-JFK

Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:01 pm

I believe they are technically accessible, or certainly were at one point. Right now they are used by Rectrix for their Hyannis flight which does not go through security, so I am not sure what would need to be done to them, but I don't think significantly much.
"Six becoming three doesn't create more Americans that want to fly." -Adam Pilarski
 
User avatar
VS4ever
Posts: 2599
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2004 10:03 am

Re: B6 starts ORH-JFK

Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:02 pm

dvincent wrote:
ORH has six gates total. Four that are capable of jetways—though only two are installed—and two ground-level gates. The ground level gates would need their own security checkpoint as AFAIK they aren't accessible from the upstairs checkpoint. I've walked through them in the past to go out to ramp-level events like the flying museums that show up occasionally, but my memory's a bit cloudy as to whether or not they're accessible from upstairs.

Installing one or two more jetways would be an easy upgrade if ORH does get busy. I imagine that back in the day those ground-level gates got good use before all the big carriers pulled out.


Thanks for the info, i thought i had read about the 2 contact gates, nice to actually see what it looks like in reality. I agree, I am sure adding the jetways would not be an issue, if B6 or more starting adding more to the mix with the early morning/late evening schedule. As it is B6 only use Gate 2 because there is enough separation and would continue to be even with this 3rd flight.
MCO leaves at roughly 5pm
FLL leaves at roughly 7pm and then JFK would turn up at nearly midnight for the RON to leave at 6am the next morning.

So even with a 33% increase in flights, the capacity of ORH is not even remotely close to being used. you could get someone else in to use the other gate with the jetbridge for a number of flights (or even share) before you even have to think about putting the other two up. Anyway, that's a long way down the road. Given as I said earlier at it's high the total was about 300K a year, it's never going to be truly stacked out with flights. But if it can play a supporting role now the CAT III helps the diversion issue go away, it will be interesting to see what the future holds.
That feeling when you sit at the end of a runway, brakes are released and the raw power takes over. Now that is a thing of beauty and it never gets old.
 
evank516
Posts: 2284
Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:15 am

Re: B6 starts ORH-JFK

Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:17 pm

It's a great connection to the majority of B6's network from JFK, and it's perfectly timed for connections. There's a few gaps, but BOS is accessible by car for those. However, I'm willing to bet that O&D pax will make up a very small percentage of this flight's load factor.
 
zrs70
Posts: 3788
Joined: Sun Dec 10, 2000 4:08 am

Re: B6 starts ORH-JFK

Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:31 am

dvincent wrote:
VS4ever wrote:
nmdrdh787 wrote:

As a former resident of the area I 100% agree with this. Good alternative to MHT (I was in Shirley, closer to NH), and much better than trecking to BOS because my family hates going into the city. Every time I have flown in here, I have had to take the silver line, either walk or take the Red to the Green line, and then to North Station to catch the Fitchburg line train.

Just looking at the fares ORD-ORH, the cost is $239 which is comparable to BOS at times. Plus the utilization is extremely smart. Most travelers will want to leave from ORH in morning, come back late at night.

I would expect B6 to launch a few more connectors like this, its actually a pretty smart idea to boost loadfactors.


I like how they have done this one, but am i right in saying that ORH only has 2 contact gates? meaning they could add a similar style service from the 2nd gate, as for other routes, I am not sure B6 will add a whole lot more, there isn't really a need for them to do so, with a 1 stop strategy through JFK,MCO and FLL to most points in their system. Frankly I think ORH is ripe for G4 and some regional RJ's. to build out a bigger route network that Massport really wants to bring in. I thought i read somewhere in the past there were up to 300K pax a year running through ORH, at the moment, MCO/FLL are running at around 110K, so find the right network and the folks might be there? profitably? that's a whole other story.


ORH has six gates total. Four that are capable of jetways—though only two are installed—and two ground-level gates. The ground level gates would need their own security checkpoint as AFAIK they aren't accessible from the upstairs checkpoint. I've walked through them in the past to go out to ramp-level events like the flying museums that show up occasionally, but my memory's a bit cloudy as to whether or not they're accessible from upstairs.

Installing one or two more jetways would be an easy upgrade if ORH does get busy. I imagine that back in the day those ground-level gates got good use before all the big carriers pulled out.



Back in the day... the ground level gates were i a different terminal altogether! The old terminal was retrofitted with ground level jetways, back when USAir, Piedmont, Northwest, and New York Air all had mainline service to ORH.
21 year airliners.net vet! 2000-2021
 
jmscsc
Posts: 89
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:09 pm

Re: B6 starts ORH-JFK

Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:33 am

jfklganyc wrote:
I wish they would start BDL JFK

That has been a hole in JFKs network for a while now!


I couldn't agree with you more. I'm amazed that it hasn't started up already as you're pretty limited with connections out of BDL on B6.
 
User avatar
dvincent
Posts: 1592
Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2007 9:53 am

Re: B6 starts ORH-JFK

Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:05 am

zrs70 wrote:
Back in the day... the ground level gates were i a different terminal altogether! The old terminal was retrofitted with ground level jetways, back when USAir, Piedmont, Northwest, and New York Air all had mainline service to ORH.


For me "back in the day" was the 90s after the current terminal was built. I guess it's all relative. :V I never knew the old terminal.
From the Mind of Minolta
 
SkyVoice
Posts: 489
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:34 pm

Re: B6 starts ORH-JFK

Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:50 am

I'm glad to see ORH get jet service to JFK on jetBlue. I'm old enough to remember when Worcester had mainline air service from Allegheny, Mohawk, Northeast, etc. However, one thing handicaps the airport today as it did back then. That thing is ground access. ORH is not close to an interstate highway, so driving to ORH from one's home means slower speeds, city traffic, traffic lights, etc. If the issue of easy ground access to ORH can be resolved, then literally the sky WILL be the limit for Worcester's airport!
Addicted to opiate painkillers for 25 years. Sober since 3 April, 2012!
 
PHLCVGAMTK
Posts: 113
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:50 pm

Re: B6 starts ORH-JFK

Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:07 pm

I wouldn't entirely discount the O&D possibilities of this particular schedule. The first train of the morning, Acela Express 2151, leaves Boston at 5:05, Providence at 5:40, and New London at 6:24, and arrives at Penn Station at 8:44, which is good enough-ish for morning meetings in Midtown, but not necessarily for offices beyond. You can get an earlier and cheaper train by driving to New Haven for Metro-North, but that's a lot of driving, and you're starting to play Connecticut Traffic Roulette in earnest. Even considering the ~hour travel time between JFK and Manhattan, the earlier arrival time might be attractive enough to a handful of Metro West business travelers per day to help the loads. And since the Northeast Corridor is slot-restricted between New Haven and Providence, the chances of Amtrak shifting a train from a more popular time to capture thinner early-morning crowds is near-zero for the foreseeable future.

Nice move by B6 to build loyalty in its home area by using an E190 that probably wasn't doing anything at JFK overnight anyway. But I wouldn't be surprised if this remains the only frequency, even if it's successful.
 
cloudboy
Posts: 1130
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2004 12:38 pm

Re: B6 starts ORH-JFK

Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:08 pm

I don't know. Unlike dvincent I AM old enough to remember the old terminal and all the flights Worcester used to have (thanks for making me feel so old!). Worcester never really had a problem with enough passengers - the flights I used to take were often pretty full. The problem was cancellations - too many flights kept getting cancelled. Hopefully the Cat IIIb will fix some of that. I am not expecting mainline back here, but I think we will start to see some of the connection carriers show up.
"Six becoming three doesn't create more Americans that want to fly." -Adam Pilarski
 
SyracuseAvGeek
Posts: 758
Joined: Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:37 pm

Re: B6 starts ORH-JFK

Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:36 pm

bendytendy wrote:
Perhaps if this is sucessful, they can try ORH-BOS, to get the connections that aren't available at JFK :-D


If anyone did ORH-BOS, it would most likely be Cape Air
"I haven't been everywhere yet, but it's on my list."
 
twaconnie
Posts: 302
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:18 pm

Re: B6 starts ORH-JFK

Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:56 pm

I remember when Northeast airlines ran 3 R/T's ORH-LGA with DC-6B's and they still had hourly BOS-LGA.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos