aa777jfklhr
Topic Author

Airline relocation at LGA 12/9

Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:40 am

This evening is a big night at LGA. This evening the co-location of airlines begin.

Terminal A Pre co-location:
Delta Shuttle

Terminal A Post co-location:
JetBlue
Alaska Airlines

Terminal B pre co-location:
Air Canada
American
Frontier
JetBlue
Southwest
Spirit
United

Terminal B post co-location
Air Canada
American
Southwest
United

Terminal C/D pre co-location
American
Delta mainline/DCI
WestJet

Terminal C/D post co-location
Delta mainline/dci/shuttle
Frontier
Spirit
WestJet

It’s a major move as it hopefully simplifies current airline operations but more importantly allows for a smooth continuation of construction to take place to build this beautiful new airport of the future.

As someone who has been actively involved in the meetings and discussions for this co-location I can tell you we are all very excited by this move as now it is time to execute and put into place the months and months of late night planning and coordination.

On top of that we get to do it during a snowstorm!!!!
Last edited by atcsundevil on Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Clarified title
people know me...Im a kinda a big deal!

BENAir01

Re: Big night at LGA

Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:20 am

Im sure there will be lots of drama!
Why is flying so expensive? And why is flying well so much more?

F27500

Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:35 am

So ... American is going to be all over the old terminal AND the old US terminal ... yea THATS gonna go well.

jumbojet

Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:35 am

aa777jfklhr wrote:
ThOn top of that we get to do it during a snowstorm!!!!

LGA is only under a winter weather advisory. Still, it will be messy out there. enjoy and have fun. I hope the traffic situation improves quickly at LGA. I refuse to book a flight out of LGA until it does. Last week I had to wait 45 minutes for the rental car shuttle to come around.

CanesFan

Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:37 am

F27500 wrote:
So ... American is going to be all over the old terminal AND the old US terminal ... yea THATS gonna go well.

No, just terminal B.

Cointrin330

Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:14 pm

F27500 wrote:

No. American is co-locating all operations into the Central Terminal Building. American Shuttle (DCA, BOS), + CLT and PHL were operating out of C, which was the old US Airways Terminal from 1992 until Delta took it over several years ago. It's the main Delta Terminal at LGA now. Before it was built (originally for Eastern and Continental) then USAir operated all its flights from the CTB. What American had until last night at Terminal C was all legacy US.

Cointrin330

Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:17 pm

The real winners here are Jet Blue and Alaska Airlines. They will have a better situation given the traffic mess that is LaGuardia due to all the construction and roadway changes. The MAT has easy access to the parkway. It will be interesting to see what B6 and AS do though as far as check in go as the MAT was always set up for a Shuttle operation and quick turnarounds.

csavel

Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:54 pm

Not to derail this thread, but I drove by LGA on the Grand Central Parkway about 2 weeks ago and was surprised by how quickly the reconstruction is going - especially given how fornicated up civil construction goes in New York. Golly, they might actually do it on time!
I may be ugly. I may be an American. But don't call me an ugly American.

aa777jfklhr
Topic Author

Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:50 pm

They are actually on schedule right now. The west parking garage is scheduled to open the beginning of February 2018, the new concourse B is scheduled to open 3Q18 and right now about 40% of the steel for the future headhouse is errected. 100% steel erection is expected to be complete by February 2018.

It is amazing the work that is being done on this project.

tlecam

Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:53 pm

I agree. I fly in and out of there at least weekly and the progress is really something to watch.
BOS-LGA-JFK | A:319/20/21, 332/3, 346 || B:717, 735, 737, 738, 739, 752, 753, 762, 763, 764, 787, 772, 744 || MD80, MD90

SWApilotfarmer

Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:17 pm

Does anyone have any pics of the construction they can post?

wjcandee

Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:35 pm

Cointrin330 wrote:
C, which was the old US Airways Terminal from 1992 until Delta took it over several years ago. It's the main Delta Terminal at LGA now. Before it was built (originally for Eastern and Continental....

Don't forget the Trump Shuttle. It was really the most prominent tenant at the terminal for some time. Funny, the terminal is so different from the other LGA ones -- bright, open, airy, I thought for a long time that Trump had purpose-built it for what he expected to be an expanding airline. I have always associated it with the Trump Shuttle, which was a great operation and a real improvement over the barebones Eastern shuttle. There was a huge Trump sign on the terminal at the time, and Trump introduced the first Kiosks in place of the fill-out-your-own-paper-ticket setup the other shuttles had.

(My other favorite was the NY Air shuttle out of EWR. The Flying Nosh. Loved that operation.)

tphuang

Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:45 pm

SWApilotfarmer wrote:

I'm not sure if this is helpful, but I found this on LGA twitter. Should be recent.
https://twitter.com/lgacentral/status/9 ... 9878949888

I apologize if we are not allowed to post twitter links.

SWApilotfarmer

Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:00 pm

tphuang wrote:
SWApilotfarmer wrote:

I'm not sure if this is helpful, but I found this on LGA twitter. Should be recent.
https://twitter.com/lgacentral/status/9 ... 9878949888

I apologize if we are not allowed to post twitter links.

Thank you for the picture.

Ezra

Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:05 pm

What's happening with the AA club in Terminal C? Delta already has a large SkyClub right next door.

global2

Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:38 pm

csavel wrote:
Not to derail this thread, but I drove by LGA on the Grand Central Parkway about 2 weeks ago and was surprised by how quickly the reconstruction is going - especially given how fornicated up civil construction goes in New York. Golly, they might actually do it on time!

I have to agree, I'm astonished at the pace. It seems Cuomo announced this just last year. Usually you have years of environmental impact studies, lawsuits by the NIMBYs, etc. before you even see ground broken.

Can anyone tell me if AA is picking up additional gates in the CTB? Is United moving over to make space for AA?

drdisque

Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:56 pm

AA will be picking up the former Frontier/Virgin America/Alaska gate at the base of Concourse C. Other than that I don't know. I imagine they're also picking up the former JetBlue and Spirit gates - that means that they'll be spread over 3 concourses of Terminal B, but still better than split between two concourses of Terminal B and Terminal C.

TWA85

Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:19 pm

What gates will AA, AC, UA and WN each be using now?

American 767

Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:30 pm

drdisque wrote:
    AA will be picking up the former Frontier/Virgin America/Alaska gate at the base of Concourse C. Other than that I don't know. I imagine they're also picking up the former JetBlue and Spirit gates - that means that they'll be spread over 3 concourses of Terminal B, but still better than split between two concourses of Terminal B and Terminal C.

Now my question is: In Terminal B, if you are flying American, can you clear security at Concourse C or D and then go to either concourse without having to go through security again? So in other words, can you connect in LGA with American between C and D without going through security?
    I know with Delta you can clear security at Terminal D and then go to Terminal C if your flight is at Terminal C without having to clear security again.
    Ben Soriano

drdisque

Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:40 pm

American 767 wrote:
      drdisque wrote:

Now my question is: In Terminal B, if you are flying American, can you clear security at Concourse C or D and then go to either concourse without having to go through security again? So in other words, can you connect in LGA with American between C and D without going through security?
      I know with Delta you can clear security at Terminal D and then go to Terminal C if your flight is at Terminal C without having to clear security again.

Currently every concourse of B has its own checkpoint and you can't go between them without going through security, but the security lines are rarely more than 5 minutes or so. Obviously with the new CTB, all gates will be accessible within security.

ty97

Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:48 pm

drdisque wrote:

AA will be spread across all four concourses at Terminal B. It looks like they have picked up gate C6 from AS/F9, gate B6 from NK, and gate A3/A5 from B6. When I was looking at the flight status for tomorrow early this morning, AA had flights schedules to use all of those gates (A3/A5/B6 were all planned to be Eagle from what I saw).

American 767 wrote:

AFAIK, AA will continue to run the airside shuttle bus that they've run for a while now. It used to connect Terminal B Concourse D with Terminal B Concourse C and Terminal C. I presume it will now just cycle around all four concourses of Terminal B. That will be the only way to connect without re-clearing security (and the only way to use the AC in D and avoid re-clearing security if your flight is out of A/B/C).

I believe you can clear security at any concourse as long as you have a boarding pass, so people can clear at D, go the club, and then shuttle to the concourse they need. I've never used the shuttle so not sure if it's faster to just re-clear security.

airtran737

Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:19 pm

The Envoy flights will also be parking at the hangar lines, so it will just add to the utter chaos.
      Nice Trip Report!!! Great Pics, thanks for posting!!!! B747Forever

phatfarmlines

Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:01 pm

Six gates at the MAT between B6 and AS seems like rather low gate utilization for a total of 21 flights. PANYNJ couldn't fit F9 over there?

Cointrin330

Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:12 pm

wjcandee wrote:
      Cointrin330 wrote:
      C, which was the old US Airways Terminal from 1992 until Delta took it over several years ago. It's the main Delta Terminal at LGA now. Before it was built (originally for Eastern and Continental....

Don't forget the Trump Shuttle. It was really the most prominent tenant at the terminal for some time. Funny, the terminal is so different from the other LGA ones -- bright, open, airy, I thought for a long time that Trump had purpose-built it for what he expected to be an expanding airline. I have always associated it with the Trump Shuttle, which was a great operation and a real improvement over the barebones Eastern shuttle. There was a huge Trump sign on the terminal at the time, and Trump introduced the first Kiosks in place of the fill-out-your-own-paper-ticket setup the other shuttles had.

(My other favorite was the NY Air shuttle out of EWR. The Flying Nosh. Loved that operation.)

It is the nicest of the LGA terminals at the moment, because it's the newest one built, and Delta has done a nice job of renovating the interior, but it still looks dated and has not been nicely kept, particularly on the outside. The windows are always dirty and the siding could use a good cleaning. The Trump Shuttle was an early and another failed venture by Trump that never made money. Believe it actually went bankrupt and was turned over to USAIr to manage and run under its name, until it eventually took it over entirely.

ty97

Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:13 pm

phatfarmlines wrote:
      Six gates at the MAT between B6 and AS seems like rather low gate utilization for a total of 21 flights. PANYNJ couldn't fit F9 over there?

I'm wondering if they are limited by available check-in space and could not fit three airlines pre-security? After moving BOS to C a view years ago, I think DL was only operating 26 flights a day (on the busiest days) out of MAT, so it's not much of a utilization change.

tphuang

Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:38 pm

phatfarmlines wrote:

Actually 22 flights. Maybe b6 convinced panynj that they can get more slots in the future.

wjcandee

Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:13 pm

Cointrin330 wrote:
      The Trump Shuttle was an early and another failed venture by Trump that never made money. Believe it actually went bankrupt and was turned over to USAIr to manage and run under its name, until it eventually took it over entirely.

It was given to his bankers. It was still a substantial asset. All airlines started losing money when jet fuel prices doubled overnight when Iraq invaded Kuwait, and a recession hit in '89.

F27500

Re: Airline relocation at LGA 12/9

Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:00 am

Where does Frontier fly from LGA ?

commavia

Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:10 am

I agree with others that the pace of the new terminal construction, given the complexity of the site and especially the fact that it's NYC, is heartening. And it can't come soon enough. The CTB is incredibly outdated, so when the new terminal opens it will be a massive improvement for AA, Southwest, United and Air Canada customers. In particular, the new terminal setup starting today will arguably be most suboptimal for AA, but such is the way things go when a new airport terminal has to be built on top of an old one while the old one is still in constant, daily use - just look at MIA. It will be chaotic and inconvenient, but the payoff at the end is going to be having operations consolidated into two excellent terminals in Queens.

aaflyer222

Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:42 am

where is the gate used for the remote parking stands?
      74m, 772, 763, 764, 752, 733, 734, 738, 739, a319, a320, a321, s80, m88, m90, e190, e170, e175, e140, e145, cr2, cr7, cr9, dh1, dh3, dh4, at72, s340

NYC-air

Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:10 am

Any news on what B6 will do to spruce up the MAT? I know it is cramped but I'd imagine they want some new concessions or services.

ty97

Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:32 am

F27500 wrote:

ATL, CVG, DEN, MIA I believe but not 100% certain.

aa777jfklhr
      Topic Author

Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:30 am

aaflyer222 wrote:
      where is the gate used for the remote parking stands?

It is being called D9G and D9F. The remote pad is located on the hangar line in front of hangar #5. It's going to be used for E145 aircraft only at this point. It's a great setup as the aircraft can taxi-in/out on their own power.

American built a brand new passenger hold room on the bottom level of Terminal D (across from D10) it has amazing views of the manhattan skyline.

You'll be bused out to your flight, which amounts to about a 2-3 minute bus ride.

The cool thing I like is that for arriving passengers, the valet bags will be offloaded and placed directly onto the luggage rack on the bus. You exit the airplane - walk onto the bus and your bag is there waiting for you.

It's a pretty good setup given that there was only really 4 months of planning that it was able to get done on schedule and executed near perfectly.

jfklganyc

Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:30 am

ty97 wrote:
      F27500 wrote:

They have 2 slots for deps, 2 for arrivals.

I dont even think F9 knows where they fly from LGA.

But it is a combination of 2 of those cities depending on time of year

jfklganyc

Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:31 am

When are the AA hangars coming down and what city will that mx work relocate to?

My understanding is that new hangars will not be built

phatfarmlines

Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:27 pm

jfklganyc wrote:
      When are the AA hangars coming down and what city will that mx work relocate to?

Was there really MX work done at those hangars? If there were, I imagine nothing too heavy. LGA strikes me as an airport that really should not have a maintenance base in the modern era given the real estate constraints.

cvgComair

Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:44 pm

jfklganyc wrote:
      ty97 wrote:
      F27500 wrote:

They must have 3 slots because CVG and ATL are daily year round, while DEN and MIA each operate 1/2 the year daily.

jfklganyc

Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:28 pm

phatfarmlines wrote:
      jfklganyc wrote:

Was there really MX work done at those hangars? If there were, I imagine nothing too heavy. LGA strikes me as an airport that really should not have a maintenance base in tnhe modern era given the real estate constraints.

It is one of their larger mx stations believe it or not

The word is the unimproved hangars had dirt cheap rent

N766UA

Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:18 pm

Is Delta’s terminal eventually going to be demolished and replaced, or merely integrated and connected to the all-new terminal B?

n7190jr

Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:15 pm

What's happening with the AA club in Terminal C? Delta already has a large SkyClub right next door

It will be an overflow SkyClub and will be closed this week for renovations. Unfortunantly it can’t be connected bc of an emergency exit stairwell that separates the clubs without major work.

N766UA - yes Delta is getting a new terminal and it will be connected to the CTB. It will be Terminal C, concourses D-G. Concourse G construction started around September. It will replace current terminals C and D.
      The Only Way Up is Up: KEEP CLIMBING

Shields

Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:03 pm

Perhaps it is worth mentioning here: Delta is adding mainline equipment (717) on LGA-ORD beginning in April. Come June, 5 of the departures to ORD are operated on the 717.

chicawgo

Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:32 pm

[*]
      Shields wrote:
      Perhaps it is worth mentioning here: Delta is adding mainline equipment (717) on LGA-ORD beginning in April. Come June, 5 of the departures to ORD are operated on the 717.

What?? Will it still be shuttle branded?? That’s big news!

F27500

Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:14 am

cvgComair wrote:
      jfklganyc wrote:
      ty97 wrote:

They must have 3 slots because CVG and ATL are daily year round, while DEN and MIA each operate 1/2 the year daily.

How flaky they are .... what a ridiculous waste of slots.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos