Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

jashah
Topic Author

Why Doesn't Alaska Fly to Montrose/Telluride (MTJ)

Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:18 am

Hi,

Any idea why Alaska doesn't fly to MTJ? It is well-served from various airports around the country but nothing from SeaTac. Seems like it would be a good route for them.

Thx

PDX88

Re: Why Doesn't Alaska Fly to Montrose/Telluride (MTJ)

Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:41 am

SEA doesn't have the O/D or connection opportunities as other hubs it is served from.

loisencroach

Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:49 am

What's the O&D from SAN? Is there room for two players from SFO? SJC?

wedgetail737

Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:17 am

I think the skiers and snowboarders around here are more localized...typically traveling to regional ski resorts. Three of the ski resorts are within an hour or two from Seattle. Also, we have ski resorts closer than Colorado...like Whistler, Mt. Bachelor, Bozeman, Boise, Sun Valley and even Salt Lake City area. But never say never...

airbazar

Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:40 pm

wedgetail737 wrote:
I think the skiers and snowboarders around here are more localized...typically traveling to regional ski resorts. Three of the ski resorts are within an hour or two from Seattle. Also, we have ski resorts closer than Colorado...like Whistler, Mt. Bachelor, Bozeman, Boise, Sun Valley and even Salt Lake City area. But never say never...

The people who ski at Telluride are also a very different type of customer, closer to the type that skis at Aspen than the type that skis at Whistler.

DLASFlyer

Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:56 pm

I find it strange that AS flies to Steamboat but not Telluride, Vail or Jackson Hole. Delta flies SEA-JAC, albeit once weekly.

32andBelow

Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:22 pm

airbazar wrote:
wedgetail737 wrote:

The people who ski at Telluride are also a very different type of customer, closer to the type that skis at Aspen than the type that skis at Whistler.

LOL! Are you insinuating the Aspen Skier and the Whistler Skier are different?! IN WHAT WAY?!

wedgetail737

Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:01 am

32andBelow wrote:
airbazar wrote:
wedgetail737 wrote:

LOL! Are you insinuating the Aspen Skier and the Whistler Skier are different?! IN WHAT WAY?!

For one, the snow is very different between the two places. There are ample ski resorts through the PNW and BC, there isn't enough O&D to fly to many of the Rockies. AS can't even fill a Dash to MMH from the PNW. But in this industry, anything is possible. Never say never.

dc10lover

Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:05 am

wedgetail737 wrote:

I agree. Stevens Pass alone is a great place to ski. Why travel to other states. Plus the beautiful scenery along highway 2 to Stevens Pass is worth the drive.
Why endure the nightmare and congestion of LAX when BUR, LGB, ONT & SNA is so much easier to fly in and out of. Same with OAK & SJC when it comes to SFO.

jubguy3

Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:25 am

Example #1 of why I love skiing in SLC... there are no "ski airports". SLC International is never more than an hour away from every major resort in UT, and its often closer to 30m. DIA is 2-3 hours (not accounting for I-70 traffic) from Aspen and 6-7 hours from Telluride. Flying into these airports is expensive and time intensive. And it's not like they save much time anyways, SLC International is closer to PCMR than Eagle/Vail is to the Vail resort.

alfa164

Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:06 am

32andBelow wrote:
airbazar wrote:
wedgetail737 wrote:

Whistler skiers can actually ski. Aspen "skiers" go to be seen... ;)
I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....

jashah
Topic Author

Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:31 am

It's surprising they fly to Steamboat but not Telluride or Jackson Hole. A lot of skiers (me included) like to visit different mountains for variety and they are missing out on a lot of potential travellers. Both locations are well-serviced by other carriers so there must be some demand.

SANFan

Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:27 pm

I think the answer to the OP question might simply be $$.

I know that MMH-service is subsidized by Mammoth (at least the route between SAN and MMH is) and I'd bet HDN-SAN is also subsidized (by Steamboat) and I'd guess that if MTJ likewise offered $$ to AS, we would see service there as well. Just my opinion.

bb