Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ual763
Topic Author

Why UA flies to FLL over MIA from IAD?

Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:59 pm

So I was just looking, and realized that United does not fly to Miami from Dulles, not even on RJs. Yet they fly to Fort Lauderdale. Even AA doesn't bring in any mainline aircraft from Miami. I guess my question is how can two major markets not have mainline service between the two of them? Considering Dulles is United's southernmost hub, one would reasonably expect them to have a flight to Florida's largest city from it. Living in a Virginia, to get to MIA from IAD, I would have to fly north to either EWR or ORD first, and then down. Do they fly this route seasonally?
From flying to the NOTAM office

Meff56

Re: Why UA flies to FLL over MIA from IAD?

Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:14 pm

UA has always struggled to provide profitable service (especially mainline) to South Florida. Of the three South Florida airports (MIA, FLL, and PBI), FLL works well because of its central location to both Palm Beach and Miami Dade counties. FLL's own Dulles service has ebbed and flowed on United, being cut, then reinstated seasonally, and now up to twice daily.

If I had to theorize, I'd say most business travellers going between DC and South Florida opt for DCA-MIA (AA hub to hub) where leisure travelers are more willing to travel out to IAD to catch a cheap flight to FLL. I would say however that IAH fits the definition of United's southernmost hub better than IAD. Also, MIA is not Florida's largest city, that would be JAX.
221 319 320 321 332/3 359 712 733/G/8/9 7M8 752/3 76W 77E/W 788 CR2/7/9 E75 E90 MD82/83/88/90 SF34 DH8D
3M AA AS B6 DL FL G4 HA NK QX UA US WN

jasoncrh

Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:15 pm

United doesn’t fly to Miami at all from Dulles.

ual763
Topic Author

Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:21 pm

Meff56 wrote:
UA has always struggled to provide profitable service (especially mainline) to South Florida. Of the three South Florida airports (MIA, FLL, and PBI), FLL works well because of its central location to both Palm Beach and Miami Dade counties. FLL's own Dulles service has ebbed and flowed on United, being cut, then reinstated seasonally, and now up to twice daily.

If I had to theorize, I'd say most business travellers going between DC and South Florida opt for DCA-MIA (AA hub to hub) where leisure travelers are more willing to travel out to IAD to catch a cheap flight to FLL. I would say however that IAH fits the definition of United's southernmost hub better than IAD. Also, MIA is not Florida's largest city, that would be JAX.

Sorry, forgot about IAH. But that would be even more out of the way than EWR. The MIA metro area though has a much larger population. I kinda figured DCA, would have mainline AA. It just blows my mind though that UAL doesn't even operate an RJ from IAD.
From flying to the NOTAM office

727LOVER

Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:28 pm

Also remember, that PMUA quit FLL & PBI. The merger brought them back. I think TPA & MCO have about 4 or 5 IAD flights from UA

Meff56 wrote:
Also, MIA is not Florida's largest city, that would be JAX.

Well, by land mass, YES...but trees & squirrels don't fly airplanes

Humans do....and Miami metro has a lot more of them than Jacksonville metro

....and more tourists as well.

Kinda thinking you knew that and was just being sarcastic

....but just in case :lol:
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

Vctony

Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:41 pm

ual763 wrote:
Meff56 wrote:

Sorry, forgot about IAH. But that would be even more out of the way than EWR. The MIA metro area though has a much larger population. I kinda figured DCA, would have mainline AA. It just blows my mind though that UAL doesn't even operate an RJ from IAD.

AA dominates the market on frequency:

DCA - MIA is 9x daily on AA with all mainline aircraft.

BWI - MIA is 3x daily on AA with all mainline aircraft.

IAD - MIA is 3x daily on AA with all Eagle E175s.

Now for DC area to FLL:

B6:

DCA - FLL: 5x

BWI - FLL: 2x

NK:

BWI - FLL: 3x

UA:

IAD - FLL: 2x

WN:

DCA - FLL: 2x

BWI - FLL: 10x

IAD - FLL: 1x

DC area to PBI:

AA:

DCA - PBI: 2x

B6:

DCA - PBI: 1x

WN:

BWI - PBI: 3x

UA is the smallest player in DC - South Florida. AA, B6, and WN all dominate the market (AA doesn't fly to FLL where B6 and WN dominate).

catiii

Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:13 pm

Meff56 wrote:
UA has always struggled to provide profitable service (especially mainline) to South Florida.

This is based on what exactly?

727LOVER

Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:17 pm

catiii wrote:
Meff56 wrote:
UA has always struggled to provide profitable service (especially mainline) to South Florida.

1. The MIA hub failed
2. They quit PBI & FLL
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

IPFreely

Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:45 pm

727LOVER wrote:
o....and Miami metro has a lot more of them than Jacksonville metro

If you're counting tourist travel, the top destination in Florida is not Jacksonville or Miami....it's Orlando:

https://www.forbes.com/2010/04/28/touri ... slide.html

drdisque

Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:38 pm

IAD-South Florida is all about Europe feed for UA. MIA is so covered by AA and its OW partners as well as LH nonstop service the feed opportunities there are weak. FLL is a larger market for connections over the Atlantic because fewer airlines offer nonstop service over the Atlantic there and those that do either have odd schedules or have little feed.

catiii

Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:30 am

727LOVER wrote:
catiii wrote:
Meff56 wrote:

1. The MIA hub failed
2. They quit PBI & FLL

So that blanket statement was made based on a focus city that was closed 14 years ago (think about how much has changed since then) and not taking into account that the merged carrier has been in So. Florida with extensive mainline service since 2010.

Got it.

coairman

Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:26 am

I have seen such cheap fares to and from FLL that I am surprised that UA hasn’t cut the IAD-FLL market. Maybe cut the route totally or switch to UA Express to MIA. I have seen fares as low as $47.80 with taxes from FLL to CLE via IAD. It seems the fares to MIA must be higher.
The views I express are of my own, and not the company I work for.

GordonCC

Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:46 am

I travel UA almost exclusively and the lack of frequency from both DC and SF to South Florida blows my mind.

727LOVER

Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:17 pm

IPFreely wrote:
727LOVER wrote:
o....and Miami metro has a lot more of them than Jacksonville metro

If you're counting tourist travel, the top destination in Florida is not Jacksonville or Miami....it's Orlando:

https://www.forbes.com/2010/04/28/touri ... slide.html

I wasn't....just comparing Miami and Jacksonville, that's it.

catiii wrote:
So that blanket statement was made based on a focus city that was closed 14 years ago (think about how much has changed since then) and not taking into account that the merged carrier has been in So. Florida with extensive mainline service since 2010.

Got it.

HEY, I can't get into his mind....I was just providing some info that POSSIBLY supported his theory :talktothehand:

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos