Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

TC957

Re: BA IROPS Handling In Recent Snow Storm

Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:22 pm

I suspect then the agent needed authority from BA to re-issue the e-ticket, and of course contacting them was nigh on impossible as already mentioned.
This is where BA should do much better....put out a statement to the travel trade at the earliest opportunity giving authority to re-issue PNR's to affected pax with the wording they give out to go in the ticket endorsement box. VS and others do this much better.
Then that in turn will help BA as agents will do the rebooking work for their clients. If they are available !

gunnerman

Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:49 pm

The problem I suspect was that BA179 was not cancelled, just badly delayed. When a flight is cancelled, passengers are offloaded and their ticket status is changed to enable automated rebooking. But with all the disruption, it's possible that the offloading wasn't done, so the travel agent could not reissue the ticket.

RyanairGuru

Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:25 pm

TC957 and Gunnerman are both pretty much spot on.

1) BA did not post a blanket waiver to trade partners in a timely manner so agents could not re-issue tickets FOC. This is especially problematic if we can’t book the same inventory as the original ticket or want to reroute the ticket.

2) Travel agents cannot re-issue a ticket in CKIN status, we need the airline to change it back to OPEN or ARPT status. If you’re checked in and the airline hasn’t bothered to amend your status there is not much we can do but beg the airline to amend the ticket ... i.e. sit on the same hold as everyone else.

I can’t say for sure that the ticket status was the issue but it sounds very, very likely, plus the fact that the authorisation to rebook FOC was not provided until very late in the day. BA really didn’t do themselves any favours there, if they had made it easier for the travel industry to do our jobs it would have taken some pressure off the front line staff. Don’t forget that this doesn’t just apply to retail and corporate travel agents, but also the OTAs like Expedia assuming you could get someone on the phone who knew how to.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

gunnerman

Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:45 pm

There is no doubt that BA should do more to help travel agents to do rebookings, but my belief is that BA has lost focus on the travel trade. Back in 1999, the trade accounted for about 85% of bookings, which meant a lot of commission payments to agents and to GDSs for their fees. It was about this time that work started on the redevelopment of the online booking system using the Java WebLogic platform, which became ba.com, and a lot of bookings have been done directly with BA. But the downside is when there is a serious disruption, BA cannot rebook passengers quickly; indeed, I've seen a queue at LHR T5 for rebooking stretching outside the terminal.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos