Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

VCEflyboy
Topic Author

Alitalia Wins Best Airline Cuisine 2017

Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:53 am

Italy’s former flagship airline receives the prestigious award for the 8th consecutive time. The accolade was awarded by prestigious US travel magazine Global Traveler based on feedback by 22,000 frequent flyers.

leftyboarder

Re: Alitalia Wins Best Airline Cuisine 2017

Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:41 pm

What cuisine though :) All I ever got was biscotti or crackers on European short haul. I guess this was based on long haul or business?

tommyarias

Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:25 pm

VCEflyboy wrote:
Italy’s former flagship airline

It has not stop operating, therefore, it still is the flag carrier of Italy.

leftyboarder wrote:
What cuisine though :) All I ever got was biscotti or crackers on European short haul. I guess this was based on long haul or business?

There's almost no airlines in the world that offer full hot meals on short haul flights on either economy or business, and if they do, it will not be good. EuroBusiness you may get some sandwiches and fruit, nothing more. Alitalia does offer a very good menu on long haul flights and food enjoyable, as expected from the flag carrier of Italy.
"Insert Generic Signature or Quote" - Generic Name

StudiodeKadent

Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:27 pm

Congratulations to Alitalia. The airline needs to leverage its strengths, and one of those is cuisine. I hope it manages to expand and improve.

[Yes, I know there's a meaningful chance it may not, but I'm trying to hope for the best and encourage realistic optimism and improvement]

leleko747

Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:19 pm

tommyarias wrote:

Exactely my thoughts. Alitalia is still the legacy airline representing Italy.
I wonder when people will understand:
Embraer 190 or simply E190, not ERJ-190. E-Jets are NOT ERJs!
Boeing 747-8, not Boeing 747-800. Same goes for 787.
Airbus A320, not Airbus 320.
Airbii does not exist.

ankaraflyjet

Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:53 pm

Turkish Airlines offers hot meals on short haul flights and hot panini on domestic flights and tastes very good actually...I am not going to mention their hot meals on long haul flights, THY's long haul hot meals on economy class is far more superior than many European airlines' Business Class catering actually...

tommyarias wrote:
VCEflyboy wrote:
Italy’s former flagship airline

leftyboarder wrote:

There's almost no airlines in the world that offer full hot meals on short haul flights on either economy or business, and if they do, it will not be good. EuroBusiness you may get some sandwiches and fruit, nothing more. Alitalia does offer a very good menu on long haul flights and food enjoyable, as expected from the flag carrier of Italy.

dcajet

Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:15 am

ankaraflyjet wrote:
Turkish Airlines offers hot meals on short haul flights and hot panini on domestic flights and tastes very good actually...I am not going to mention their hot meals on long haul flights, THY's long haul hot meals on economy class is far more superior than many European airlines' Business Class catering actually...

While it is all a matter of personal taste, Italian cuisine has to be up there with French and Chinese as the greatest culinary cultures worldwide. Over the past few years, Alitalia has elevated its long haul business class catering to new heights and who are we kidding, no one does Italian like the Italian themselves. While TK has better Y meals that pretty much any airline out there, in my personal opinion, it does not hold a candle to AZ's Magnifica long haul catering. Here is one area where Alitalia has got it right.
Keep calm and wash your hands.

aerogt3

Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:15 pm

tommyarias wrote:

LAN/LATAM served me full meals in business on buenos aires to santiago, and last month on madrid to frankfurt. Both were genuinely full meals, and quite good for such a short flight!

zakuivcustom

Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:33 pm

tommyarias wrote:

Not true. CX, BR, and CI all does for HKG-TPE route (Which is about 1.5 hour max). Same can be said for most Chinese domestic routes (A route like PEK-SHA is about 2 hrs).

In fact, CX actually create a stir when they moved from hot meal to a "Chicken Wrap" on the HKG-TPE route (to save cost, of course...it's CX where everyone else has to pay for that stupid fuel hedge decision), before returning to hot meal.

blooc350

Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:44 pm

zakuivcustom wrote:
tommyarias wrote:

Not true. CX, BR, and CI all does for HKG-TPE route (Which is about 1.5 hour max). Same can be said for most Chinese domestic routes (A route like PEK-SHA is about 2 hrs).

In fact, CX actually create a stir when they moved from hot meal to a "Chicken Wrap" on the HKG-TPE route (to save cost, of course...it's CX where everyone else has to pay for that stupid fuel hedge decision), before returning to hot meal.

Same applies to Singapore Airlines. SIN-SGN for example gets a full meal. Also, theres a hot towel service.

Heres the proof.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egnfHc9vIZ4&t=841s

lostsound

Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:00 pm

Well that explains why they're constantly on the brink of bankruptcy, groceries are expensive! :duck:

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos