mooseofspruce
Topic Author

Norwegian buys 28 weekly Gatwick slots from Small Planet

Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:28 pm

Norwegian's newsdesk: http://media.norwegian.com/uk/#/pressre ... on-2330288
Norwegian today confirmed it has acquired an additional 28 weekly slots at London Gatwick Airport from summer 2018. The take-off and landing slots, purchased from Small Planet Airlines, will allow Norwegian to plan for continued growth at Gatwick as the airline heads into its busiest ever year in the UK in 2018.

Independent: https://www.independent.ie/world-news/n ... 05320.html
It is widely expected that the new slots will be used to support Norwegian’s growing network of low-cost long-haul routes from the airport

The move comes just weeks after British Airways-owner IAG announced it had secured prized runway slots at Gatwick when they were put up for sale by the administrator of collapsed airline Monarch.

Luchtvaart (Dutch): https://www.luchtvaartnieuws.nl/nieuws/ ... op-gatwick

After IAG got all of Monarch's Gatwick slots, Norwegian announced today the acquisition of 28 weekly Gatwick slots from leisure/charter airline Small Planet in time for summer 2018. Until now they've had to trade short haul for long haul on their slot allocations (for example three of ORD's now-daily 10 AM departures were previously used for ALC—from what I've seen).

I wonder if even one or two short haul markets like ALC or even WAW can be reinstated, or if existing short haul services will receive additional frequencies since many of DY's services from LGW aren't daily in the first place? Or if all will be used for even more long haul (as speculated by the Independent)? I'm unsure of the timings that Small Planet operates from the top of my head, but it'll be interesting to find out if more of the resulting adds will be in the morning or the evening; for instance AUS, ORD, DEN, SEA, and the recent JFK increase are all morning adds while SIN is two in the morning and two in the late evening.
I saw a flock of Moosen! Many much moosen! Out in the woods, in the wood-es, in the woodsen!

bennett123

Re: Norwegian buys 28 weekly Gatwick slots from Small Planet

Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:12 pm

How many does Small Planet have?.

RL757PVD

Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:42 pm

I’d love to see PVD SWF and BDL share 14 slots (5/5/4) an gain LGW service
Experience is what you get when what you thought would work out didn't!

CX747

Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:36 pm

787s, 737NG/MAX and A321s are INBOUND!!!
"History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid." D. Eisenhower

bluefltspecial

Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:39 pm

RL757PVD wrote:
I’d love to see PVD SWF and BDL share 14 slots (5/5/4) an gain LGW service

As much as I would like to see this as well, since LGW is slot restricted, it's more likely to fly a larger aircraft with a lower CASM to a larger destination, making more revenue. But hey, never say never, with Norwegian or the airline industry in general.
Save a horse, ride a Fly-boy....

Sightseer

Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:41 pm

Are these 28 individual weekly slots (as opposed to 28 weekly slot-pairs)? I'm assuming they are based on the wording, but you know what can happen when you assume ...

by738

Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:52 pm

Surprised Small Planet had any to start with

anstar

Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:18 pm

Given Norwegian can get feed from easyJet at LGW I presume these will be used for more long haul expansion from LGW. Its one market where I am sure their long haul is profitable (or has the potential to be profitable).

1900Driver

Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:32 pm

Sorry being cynical, but is DY management interested in solving the debt issue rather then just spending?

Cunard

Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:39 pm

by738 wrote:
Surprised Small Planet had any to start with

Small Planet has a reasonable presence at LGW with aircraft based at the airport so obviously they would have slots.

Small Planet Airlines fly on behalf of numerous tour operators and fly regularly from LGW to Athens, Banjul, Corfu, Chania, Grenoble, Heraklion, Ivalo, Haugesund, Kefalonia, Kos, Larnaca, Las Palmas, Malta, Preveza, Pristina, Rhodes, Santorini, Skiathos, Tirana, Volos, Zakinthos.

So quite a reasonable presence at LGW but I wonder what will happen to their 2018 flight programme.
94 Countries, 327 Destinations Worldwide, 32 Airlines, 29 Aircraft Types, 182 Airports, 335 Flights.

PatrickZ80

Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:50 pm

1900Driver wrote:
Sorry being cynical, but is DY management interested in solving the debt issue rather then just spending?

Problem is that in order to solve their debt issue they need income and for an income they need operations. Looking at it that way, it's not spending. It's investing.

Cunard wrote:
So quite a reasonable presence at LGW but I wonder what will happen to their 2018 flight programme.

Probably shift to other airports in the region. There are still slots available at Luton and Stansted for example, and Southend isn't slot controlled. For Small Planet it doesn't make much difference which airport they use, for Norwegian it does. They got all their London operations concentrated at Gatwick, so expanding at other airports wouldn't make sense for them. Those flights wouldn't connect to their network, flights at Gatwick would.

planesarecool

Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:06 pm

The Small Planet flights were all operated on behalf of tour operators. The assumption is that the tour operators will use seats on other, existing, services.

NozPerry

Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:50 pm

They were planning on leaving LGW anyway so it’s no surprise after letting all the crew go and telling them they’ll have to transfer to another base. But they did have a reasonably large contract with Olympic Holidays and The Gambia Experienceso it’ll be interesting to see who’ll pick up the slack so to speak
I love the feel of a Go Around in the morning

Vasu

Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:45 pm

NozPerry wrote:
They were planning on leaving LGW anyway so it’s no surprise after letting all the crew go and telling them they’ll have to transfer to another base. But they did have a reasonably large contract with Olympic Holidays and The Gambia Experienceso it’ll be interesting to see who’ll pick up the slack so to speak

From evidence of my own Summer 2018 Olympic booking, it looks like EnterAir is picking up some of the slack at least.

Channex757

Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:58 pm

There are still slot pairs to be had, just at different times. Small Planet may well just be cashing in the increased value of the slot pairs and moving their flights to different times.

The longhaulers want slot pairs that fit their operations (preferably westbound in the AM and eastbound in the later PM). Charter outfits can juggle their operations about to a greater extent as they are not as dependent on strict scheduling.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos