psa1011

Re: Alaska cuts ties with AF-KLM

Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:12 pm

I think we both want the best for. AS, but I think their business model is a bit stuck. It's not 2010 - DL arrived and is now a major competitor with both domestic and international options. I'm just not sure how much longer AS can hold onto their customer base in Seattle by simply adding more flights to LAX and Hawaii. AS flyers don't want to feel second tier by scrambling on a partner airline. And that's just Seattle. There's also Portland (where only DL flies to Asia and Europe), and the Bay Area etc. Etc etc.

n7371f

Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:07 am

I'll correct the headline. AF/KL is dropping AS. And, yes, it's because of DL. But it all goes back to the edict Richard Anderson gave Brad Tilden...AS will be just fine.

QueenoftheSkies

Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:30 am

william wrote:
alfa164 wrote:
EA CO AS wrote:
DL and UA routinely trade places for #2 overall, but I think it's only a matter of time before UA throws more metal at LAX to make that #2 spot permanent. The difference between those spots are just a few percentage points, though; last I saw, AA was #1 with 22% of the market, and the #2 spot was at around 19%. Those numbers may have changed however.

Through October, LAWA says:

AA: 18.79%
DL: 16.69%
UA: 14.07%

s
I need to clarify, when I state UA was dominant I am speaking of history. Back in the 80s and 90s when UA was the dominant carrier at LAX and SEA too. Too me its odd seeing a carrier that dominated for so long now relegated to #3 at LAX.

Odd? They did it to themselves. Just like they handed MIA to AA on a silver platter. Massive mistakes for the history books.

LH658

Sun Dec 24, 2017 8:47 am

guess it will effect there Sea Tac/Lax operations.

flybynight

Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:28 pm

psa1011 wrote:
I think we both want the best for. AS, but I think their business model is a bit stuck. It's not 2010 - DL arrived and is now a major competitor with both domestic and international options. I'm just not sure how much longer AS can hold onto their customer base in Seattle by simply adding more flights to LAX and Hawaii. AS flyers don't want to feel second tier by scrambling on a partner airline. And that's just Seattle. There's also Portland (where only DL flies to Asia and Europe), and the Bay Area etc. Etc etc.

I agree with this. AS is growing but it isn't necessarily helping people who fly beyond the Western region and certainly not internationally. Where does AS go? Get a hub that is east of Chicago? Rely on partner airlines (that is coming to a hault as we see with AA and DL)? Buy some 787's and fly to a select set of European and Asian cities? Yes they fly to more cities back East, but not enough smaller cities and without the frequency sometimes required.

For us who fly AS, it is becoming more difficult to be loyal. Seems strange to say that with an airline that is growing! I relied on AS and DL working together to get me to various cities. Or AA. Now I have to seriously look at DL becoming my go-to carrier.

AS needs to be very careful in how they move forward in my opinion.
Heia Norge!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos