eamondzhang
Posts: 794
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:23 am

Re: The 777 retirement and scrapping thread

Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:37 pm

LUOCHUNHUI wrote:
eamondzhang wrote:
To add onto your list:

CZ's remaining two 77As will be retired within the next couple months (my source says 3 months but that could be wrong). Replaced by 788s.

Michael


There is some information comes from Chinese self-media,said that CZ's two 777 would be retired in JAN 2017 and MAR 2017.They would fly back to CAN and finish their final check in GAMECO.

Thought you mean 2018. But yes every single retirement check is done thru GAMECO.

Plus, CA is also retiring their 772s and should be done by 2018.

Michael
 
eamondzhang
Posts: 794
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:23 am

Re: The 777 retirement and scrapping thread

Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:45 pm

hunterboy wrote:
Nobody has mentioned CX’s venerable 777 fleet. They are still operating the first 777, B-HNL, which they bought from Boeing after the test programme was complete

Since we're not sure what's going on for that five birds. I've heard rumours that they're retiring them within the next few years, but initially the rumour says replacement being ex-EK 773As, so not sure what's the plan now. (And the rumour was quite a while ago so we had no idea what CX thought.)

Meanwhile they've started retiring (end-of-lease) A333s.

Michael
 
na
Topic Author
Posts: 9579
Joined: Sun Dec 12, 1999 3:52 am

Re: The 777 retirement and scrapping thread

Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:56 am

eamondzhang wrote:
hunterboy wrote:
Nobody has mentioned CX’s venerable 777 fleet. They are still operating the first 777, B-HNL, which they bought from Boeing after the test programme was complete

Since we're not sure what's going on for that five birds. I've heard rumours that they're retiring them within the next few years, but initially the rumour says replacement being ex-EK 773As, so not sure what's the plan now. (And the rumour was quite a while ago so we had no idea what CX thought.)

Meanwhile they've started retiring (end-of-lease) A333s.

Michael



... and meanwhile EK (or the lessor if the owner is not EK) has begun scrapping their 773s, so probably the plan to transfer them to CX has failed.
 
User avatar
Channex757
Posts: 1962
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:07 am

Re: The 777 retirement and scrapping thread

Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:31 am

hunterboy wrote:
Nobody has mentioned CX’s venerable 777 fleet. They are still operating the first 777, B-HNL, which they bought from Boeing after the test programme was complete

CX only operate A market 777s so when the time comes they will take the one way flight to Kemble or wherever. There isn't really much of a market for those, especially since the Russian upheaval in charter airlines.

As such CX will probably fly them to their limits, and all the first batch have Trents so there should be a good pool of spares going forward. B-HNL was re-engined and fully refurbished for CX so it was as good as new when they took delivery.
 
eamondzhang
Posts: 794
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:23 am

Re: The 777 retirement and scrapping thread

Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:00 am

na wrote:
eamondzhang wrote:
hunterboy wrote:
Nobody has mentioned CX’s venerable 777 fleet. They are still operating the first 777, B-HNL, which they bought from Boeing after the test programme was complete

Since we're not sure what's going on for that five birds. I've heard rumours that they're retiring them within the next few years, but initially the rumour says replacement being ex-EK 773As, so not sure what's the plan now. (And the rumour was quite a while ago so we had no idea what CX thought.)

Meanwhile they've started retiring (end-of-lease) A333s.

Michael



... and meanwhile EK (or the lessor if the owner is not EK) has begun scrapping their 773s, so probably the plan to transfer them to CX has failed.

They only broke up one bird, any pics for the rest? And they still have five 773As active, incidentally all leased from AerCap (IIRC the five birds that were meant to go to CX are AerCap ones, but they have 8 in total)

Michael
 
bennett123
Posts: 8130
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2004 12:49 am

Re: The 777 retirement and scrapping thread

Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:49 am

I saw HS-TJF stored at Kemble earlier this month.
 
na
Topic Author
Posts: 9579
Joined: Sun Dec 12, 1999 3:52 am

Re: The 777 retirement and scrapping thread

Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:07 pm

I wonder what the status of the Transaero-777s is. A few days ago I have seen a picture from Teruel showing two 777s in the process of dismantling.
 
na
Topic Author
Posts: 9579
Joined: Sun Dec 12, 1999 3:52 am

Re: The 777 retirement and scrapping thread

Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:04 pm

To add to my list of 777 retirements:

Emirates:
773 A6-EMS (stored 06.2017)
773 A6-EMU (stored 10.2017)
773 A6-EMV (stored 10.2017)
773 A6-EMX (stored 11.2017)

It seems that from once 14 EK 773s only three, A6-EMQ, A6-EMR and A6-EMT are still active.
 
migair54
Posts: 2372
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:24 am

Re: The 777 retirement and scrapping thread

Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:58 pm

where are most of this planes in storage? I have seen in the past some of them were flown to Teruel, I think EK and Transaero are some of them. But what about the other airlines??
 
User avatar
Goodyear
Posts: 183
Joined: Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:25 am

Re: The 777 retirement and scrapping thread

Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:18 pm

There are quite a few here in Goodyear. Many have been scraped here. Tupelo seems to be where the ex-EK 777s end up.
 
User avatar
Goodyear
Posts: 183
Joined: Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:25 am

Re: The 777 retirement and scrapping thread

Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:36 pm

Just found this photo on Instagram, not sure what L/N this is but she's toast. https://instagram.com/p/Bc6fqyNBriO/
 
DL757NYC
Posts: 139
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:07 am

Re: The 777 retirement and scrapping thread

Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:19 pm

FYI Delta’s oldest 777 has around 10k cycles 77k hours. Barely broken in lol
 
na
Topic Author
Posts: 9579
Joined: Sun Dec 12, 1999 3:52 am

Re: The 777 retirement and scrapping thread

Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:44 pm

Goodyear wrote:
Just found this photo on Instagram, not sure what L/N this is but she's toast. https://instagram.com/p/Bc6fqyNBriO/


99% sure this are the remains of former EI-UNX, a 18-year old former UA and Varig 77E. It has only seen 13 years of active service. A waste, with likely less than 50.000 hours flown. It was the last Transaero-777 which remained in Russia till the end.
 
na
Topic Author
Posts: 9579
Joined: Sun Dec 12, 1999 3:52 am

Re: The 777 retirement and scrapping thread

Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:20 pm

Goodyear wrote:
Just found this photo on Instagram, not sure what L/N this is but she's toast. https://instagram.com/p/Bc6fqyNBriO/


https://aviaforum.ru/threads/flot-a-k-t ... 63/page-99

Some more photos of the scrapping process of former EI-UNX.
Sistership EI-UNW has also been decleared permanantly wfu and is perhaps also gone soon.

More positive:
Former EK 77E A6-EMK is going to Nigeria. This will be quite a sight as operator Air Peace has an impressive livery. Unless they opt to fly it in bare white to see if the new business venture works.
 
User avatar
Goodyear
Posts: 183
Joined: Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:25 am

Re: The 777 retirement and scrapping thread

Sun Dec 24, 2017 5:49 am

There is now at least one derelict ex-MH B777 frame being dismantled at KLIA in Malaysia. Unsure on the reg.
 
itisi
Posts: 200
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:37 pm

Re: The 777 retirement and scrapping thread

Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:53 pm

CX are due to retire their 5 x 772's in 2018. Does anyone know if Boeing will take back B-HNL, the first 777 ever built?
737-300/400/500 ... are NOT classics :)
 
jfk777
Posts: 6567
Joined: Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:23 am

Re: The 777 retirement and scrapping thread

Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:10 pm

itisi wrote:
CX are due to retire their 5 x 772's in 2018. Does anyone know if Boeing will take back B-HNL, the first 777 ever built?


Cathay has to return the prototype to Boeing for display at the museum of Flight or another aviation museum.
 
User avatar
SJL
Posts: 42
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:12 pm

Re: The 777 retirement and scrapping thread

Sun Dec 24, 2017 6:00 pm

SQ’s A330s are all leased, and they were only ever meant as a stop-gap measure. The 787 was originally intended to replace the 772s, and as the 787 was delayed their strategy changed so that the 787-8/9 went to Scoot and SQ laboured on with 772s until A350s and 797-10s came online to replace both the 772 and A330 fleets.
 
User avatar
lightsaber
Moderator
Posts: 15301
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:55 pm

Re: The 777 retirement and scrapping thread

Sun Dec 24, 2017 6:37 pm

WIederling wrote:
lightsaber wrote:
Those CFRP floor beams that helped sell pax 777s are dooming the same aircraft. Cest la vie.
You know... I do not know what the 787 or A350 floor beam configuration is. Does anyone know if there is a similar handicap to conversion?


There is a video around on what gets changed out on the A330 P2F conversions in EFW:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmj6_ui49tM
That already goes far beyond "rip out seating and carpets, plug windows, hacksaw a freight door."
My guess would be that an A350 does need comparable effort for P2F conversion.

Thank you for the link. None of there conversions are trivial. The 777's is just too much. The parts value of the frames is above the candidate price for freighter conversion. Oh well.

I'm expecting Airbus to discount new A330 freighters to keep the line going. I fully expect with all the NEO MTOW increases we'll see an A338 based freighter. At this time, Airbus will have to be agressive in pricing. Boeing increased 787 production to improve economies of scale. Combined with 779 and A350 production, the 777s are long term doomed. First the 773s and 77Es (both are well replaced with 787s or A350s).

Lightsaber
You only have the first amendment with the 2nd. If you're not going to offend someone with what you say, you don't have the 1st.
 
eamondzhang
Posts: 794
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:23 am

Re: The 777 retirement and scrapping thread

Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:31 am

SJL wrote:
797-10s

Nickpick: no such aircraft in existence :stirthepot:

Cheers
Michael
 
ltbewr
Posts: 13492
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2004 1:24 pm

Re: The 777 retirement and scrapping thread

Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:50 pm

Considering that the 1st generation 777's are 17-23 years old, it not surprising that many are being scrapped. Major MX costs, the value of scrap, that depreciation is zero'd out, relatively newer 777's or other model aircraft in good shape are relatively cheap, that older 777's may not as efficient as newer aircraft, inability to convert to freighters (unlike 747's) and in the real end, money, are why they are going to the scrapyards.
 
Andre3K
Posts: 365
Joined: Tue May 30, 2017 10:11 pm

Re: The 777 retirement and scrapping thread

Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:29 pm

Interesting thread. 2 questions.

Where do you find this info?

And can we also start one on A330’s?
 
Virginblue4
Posts: 605
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 12:18 pm

Re: The 777 retirement and scrapping thread

Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:16 pm

I have to say, I’m thoroughly enjoying reading this thread. Of course it’s very sad, but interesting to see where they are ending up.

eamondzhang wrote:
SJL wrote:
797-10s

Nickpick: no such aircraft in existence :stirthepot:



Nitpick: it is nitpick, not nickpick. :stirthepot: :lol:
712 738 744 752 762 763 764 320 321 332 F70 Q400
BE BY DL MT PC V7 VS WA ZB 6Y
 
User avatar
lightsaber
Moderator
Posts: 15301
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:55 pm

Re: The 777 retirement and scrapping thread

Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:18 pm

Andre3K wrote:
Interesting thread. 2 questions.

Where do you find this info?

And can we also start one on A330’s?

Feel to start "The A330 retirement and scrapping thread."

There are many online sources. I use airfleets.net, top right menu has a production summary. Click on the type and airline to find out more.

Lightsaber
You only have the first amendment with the 2nd. If you're not going to offend someone with what you say, you don't have the 1st.
 
eamondzhang
Posts: 794
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:23 am

Re: The 777 retirement and scrapping thread

Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:24 pm

Virginblue4 wrote:
I have to say, I’m thoroughly enjoying reading this thread. Of course it’s very sad, but interesting to see where they are ending up.

eamondzhang wrote:
SJL wrote:
797-10s

Nickpick: no such aircraft in existence :stirthepot:



Nitpick: it is nitpick, not nickpick. :stirthepot: :lol:

That's what happens when you don't have enough sleep :banghead: Lol thx for that

Michael
 
User avatar
VirginFlyer
Posts: 4994
Joined: Sun Sep 10, 2000 12:27 pm

Re: The 777 retirement and scrapping thread

Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:02 am

eamondzhang wrote:
Virginblue4 wrote:
I have to say, I’m thoroughly enjoying reading this thread. Of course it’s very sad, but interesting to see where they are ending up.

eamondzhang wrote:
Nickpick: no such aircraft in existence :stirthepot:



Nitpick: it is nitpick, not nickpick. :stirthepot: :lol:

That's what happens when you don't have enough sleep :banghead: Lol thx for that

Michael

Muphry's Law strikes again!

V/F
It is not for him to pride himself who loveth his own country, but rather for him who loveth the whole world. The earth is but one country, and mankind its citizens. —Bahá'u'lláh
 
eamondzhang
Posts: 794
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:23 am

Re: The 777 retirement and scrapping thread

Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:02 am

VirginFlyer wrote:
eamondzhang wrote:
Virginblue4 wrote:
I have to say, I’m thoroughly enjoying reading this thread. Of course it’s very sad, but interesting to see where they are ending up.



Nitpick: it is nitpick, not nickpick. :stirthepot: :lol:

That's what happens when you don't have enough sleep :banghead: Lol thx for that

Michael

Muphry's Law strikes again!

V/F

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

On the other hand, anyone knows CX's 77W retirement status? I thought there should be 5 a/c going off lease soon but I haven't heard any updates.

Cheers
Michael
 
User avatar
aemoreira1981
Posts: 1921
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:17 am

Re: The 777 retirement and scrapping thread

Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:25 pm

VN-A144 was flown to Mississippi a while back---I expect that frame, as it's a P&W frame and few operators desire P&W B777s, to be scrapped.
 
User avatar
Goodyear
Posts: 183
Joined: Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:25 am

Re: The 777 retirement and scrapping thread

Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:55 pm

It would seem essentially the entire PW Vietnam Airlines 777 fleet is in the process of being scrapped at GWO, as are the ex-Air China 772s and one ex-CZ. If you do a Google Maps search for "Greenwood-Leflore Airport" and looks at the photos there are some.
 
na
Topic Author
Posts: 9579
Joined: Sun Dec 12, 1999 3:52 am

Re: The 777 retirement and scrapping thread

Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:34 pm

Goodyear wrote:
It would seem essentially the entire PW Vietnam Airlines 777 fleet is in the process of being scrapped at GWO, as are the ex-Air China 772s and one ex-CZ. If you do a Google Maps search for "Greenwood-Leflore Airport" and looks at the photos there are some.


On Google Maps I can only see the special-liveried Air China 777 being scrapped at GWO.

But apparently 4 ex-Vietnam-77Es (VN-A143, 144, 145 and 146) are indeed there for part-out and scrap. It has been reported they were sold to P&W for their engines.
 
na
Topic Author
Posts: 9579
Joined: Sun Dec 12, 1999 3:52 am

Re: The 777 retirement and scrapping thread

Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:11 pm

Quite telling also, as those 4 P&W-powered Vietnam 77Es were only 13 years old when retired for good. I saw those planes at FRA now and then and they were looking very neglected with lots discoulered areas and patches in their last years. I havent seen worse looking exteriors anywhere else.
 
User avatar
aemoreira1981
Posts: 1921
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:17 am

Re: The 777 retirement and scrapping thread

Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:52 pm

What will be interesting is to see when the first B77W gets scrapped. Thus far, none have been scrapped as the demand for those frames remains high, but JL has the prototype and it's 15 years old.
 
na
Topic Author
Posts: 9579
Joined: Sun Dec 12, 1999 3:52 am

Re: The 777 retirement and scrapping thread

Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:12 pm

aemoreira1981 wrote:
What will be interesting is to see when the first B77W gets scrapped. Thus far, none have been scrapped as the demand for those frames remains high, but JL has the prototype and it's 15 years old.


The first 77Ws are in service for a little less than 14 years now. I expect the first frames to be scrapped once larger numbers are being returned to lessors by EK and SQ, a sizable number of A350-1000s is flying, and the 777X is in the air. 2019/2020 seems a good guess for the first 77Ws to be "converted" into low-tech items. I expect the 77W to have a similar fate as the early 777s experience now. Once large numbers of replacements are in service, around 2025, many will be scrapped at a young age. There are just far too many to be taken over by the second-hand market.
 
User avatar
777GE90
Posts: 117
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2015 5:26 pm

Re: The 777 retirement and scrapping thread

Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:57 pm

Is Emirates A6-EMV stored now?
Image
 
User avatar
lightsaber
Moderator
Posts: 15301
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:55 pm

Re: The 777 retirement and scrapping thread

Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:45 pm

na wrote:
aemoreira1981 wrote:
What will be interesting is to see when the first B77W gets scrapped. Thus far, none have been scrapped as the demand for those frames remains high, but JL has the prototype and it's 15 years old.


The first 77Ws are in service for a little less than 14 years now. I expect the first frames to be scrapped once larger numbers are being returned to lessors by EK and SQ, a sizable number of A350-1000s is flying, and the 777X is in the air. 2019/2020 seems a good guess for the first 77Ws to be "converted" into low-tech items. I expect the 77W to have a similar fate as the early 777s experience now. Once large numbers of replacements are in service, around 2025, many will be scrapped at a young age. There are just far too many to be taken over by the second-hand market.

Sadly, I agree. As great a plane as the 77W (and it is was already), it needs an economical path to a 777-300ERBCF (or other conversion). It will take 'cheap enough stock' to overcome the added conversion costs.

I compare this to the 737NG conversion to freighters. That market had a slow start, due to high resale value of the frames. Put enough 787, A350s, and 779s into service, and eventually even the part out price of a 77W will drop enough to make them attractive freight conversions (as finally happened with the A330).

It will be interesting to see what happens to the 777s, in particular the 77Ws. Sadly for 77Es, they are worth a bunch as parts donors. Once there is enough of a flood into the market, and 2025 is as good a time estimate as any, there will be scrappings until the price drops enough to convert to freighters. This will force Boeing to develop the 778 based freighter. :)

Lightsaber
You only have the first amendment with the 2nd. If you're not going to offend someone with what you say, you don't have the 1st.
 
na
Topic Author
Posts: 9579
Joined: Sun Dec 12, 1999 3:52 am

Re: The 777 retirement and scrapping thread

Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:35 pm

777GE90 wrote:
Is Emirates A6-EMV stored now?

As you can read in one of my posts above, A6-EMV is stored since October, making 2 1/2 months now.
 
na
Topic Author
Posts: 9579
Joined: Sun Dec 12, 1999 3:52 am

Re: The 777 retirement and scrapping thread

Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:44 pm

lightsaber wrote:
Sadly, I agree. As great a plane as the 77W (and it is was already), it needs an economical path to a 777-300ERBCF (or other conversion). It will take 'cheap enough stock' to overcome the added conversion costs.

I compare this to the 737NG conversion to freighters. That market had a slow start, due to high resale value of the frames. Put enough 787, A350s, and 779s into service, and eventually even the part out price of a 77W will drop enough to make them attractive freight conversions (as finally happened with the A330).

It will be interesting to see what happens to the 777s, in particular the 77Ws. Sadly for 77Es, they are worth a bunch as parts donors. Once there is enough of a flood into the market, and 2025 is as good a time estimate as any, there will be scrappings until the price drops enough to convert to freighters. This will force Boeing to develop the 778 based freighter. :)

Lightsaber


There is the A330F and converted F. There is the 777F. And there is the 744F and 748F. There isn´t much room for a 77W "SF" in my opinion even if conversion would be possible at an economical price. Boeing will certainly not support such a venture endangering the 777F market, concentrating on a 778F instead to appear 2025 or a bit later. Also, by the early 2020s there will be affordable secondhand "real" 777Fs around for operators flying older used 744Fs nowadays.
 
User avatar
Narfish641
Posts: 382
Joined: Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:14 pm

Re: The 777 retirement and scrapping thread

Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:55 pm

na wrote:
Goodyear wrote:
It would seem essentially the entire PW Vietnam Airlines 777 fleet is in the process of being scrapped at GWO, as are the ex-Air China 772s and one ex-CZ. If you do a Google Maps search for "Greenwood-Leflore Airport" and looks at the photos there are some.


On Google Maps I can only see the special-liveried Air China 777 being scrapped at GWO.

But apparently 4 ex-Vietnam-77Es (VN-A143, 144, 145 and 146) are indeed there for part-out and scrap. It has been reported they were sold to P&W for their engines.


That's should be plenty for the ANA and United 777-200/200ERs since they won't be retiring their fleet anytime soon in the next few years. I was gonna think that the engines were gonna become irrelevant since they are rarely used in airlines until I forgot about those 2, I think there is a couple of more as well, but I think majority of the ones that are using the PW4000-112 in their 777 fleet are beginning or already started withdrawing them.

Off topic a bit and I said it in a couple of post, at least it's not gonna be irrelevant as the Trent 500s since airlines are really starting to withdraw their A340-500/600s. Those engines will be really useless in the future.
Flew on:
SWA 737 738
 
na
Topic Author
Posts: 9579
Joined: Sun Dec 12, 1999 3:52 am

Re: The 777 retirement and scrapping thread

Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:59 pm

Goodyear wrote:
There is now at least one derelict ex-MH B777 frame being dismantled at KLIA in Malaysia. Unsure on the reg.

Thats either 9M-MRE, ln.115 from early 1998, or 9M-MRN, ln.394 from 2002.
All other ex-MAS-777 have left the country.
 
na
Topic Author
Posts: 9579
Joined: Sun Dec 12, 1999 3:52 am

Re: The 777 retirement and scrapping thread

Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:04 pm

Narfish641 wrote:
na wrote:
...But apparently 4 ex-Vietnam-77Es (VN-A143, 144, 145 and 146) are indeed there for part-out and scrap. It has been reported they were sold to P&W for their engines.


That's should be plenty for the ANA and United 777-200/200ERs since they won't be retiring their fleet anytime soon in the next few years. I was gonna think that the engines were gonna become irrelevant since they are rarely used in airlines until I forgot about those 2, I think there is a couple of more as well, but I think majority of the ones that are using the PW4000-112 in their 777 fleet are beginning or already started withdrawing them.


Well, actually ANA has already retired some 772s as I reported in my original post, and more will surely follow shortterm as many of these planes are high-cycled shorthaul aircraft. As for UA, yes, currently it seems they will be flying their 777s until they become real Oldies. Already now they have the oldest 777 "Classic" fleet worldwide.
 
User avatar
BOEING777EK
Posts: 180
Joined: Mon May 29, 2017 2:09 pm

Re: The 777 retirement and scrapping thread

Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:56 pm

Singapore Airlines Boeing 777-200ER 9V-SVF is now withdrawn and stored at Singapore since the 1st of December last flight was from Manila to Singapore.
 
NG263
Posts: 165
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:10 pm

Re: The 777 retirement and scrapping thread

Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:16 pm

na wrote:
Goodyear wrote:
There is now at least one derelict ex-MH B777 frame being dismantled at KLIA in Malaysia. Unsure on the reg.

Thats either 9M-MRE, ln.115 from early 1998, or 9M-MRN, ln.394 from 2002.
All other ex-MAS-777 have left the country.


planespotters.net still lists 9M-MRA to be stored along with MRE and MRN at KUL. Where did she go to?
 
User avatar
777GE90
Posts: 117
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2015 5:26 pm

Re: The 777 retirement and scrapping thread

Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:56 pm

na wrote:
777GE90 wrote:
Is Emirates A6-EMV stored now?

As you can read in one of my posts above, A6-EMV is stored since October, making 2 1/2 months now.


Sorry I was only checking the main post, can't you edit your additions to the main post? Makes it much easier than trying to find them scattered through multiple posts.
Image
 
User avatar
KarelXWB
Moderator
Posts: 26968
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:13 pm

Re: The 777 retirement and scrapping thread

Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:16 pm

eamondzhang wrote:
On the other hand, anyone knows CX's 77W retirement status? I thought there should be 5 a/c going off lease soon but I haven't heard any updates.

Cheers
Michael


I'm not aware of any CX 77W retirements. Did you mean the 777-300 perhaps?
What we leave behind is not as important as how we've lived.
 
Gr8Circle
Posts: 2508
Joined: Fri Dec 02, 2005 11:44 am

Re: The 777 retirement and scrapping thread

Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:20 pm

na wrote:
Air India:
772 VT-AIR (scrapped)

[list=][/list]

Maybe I'm wrong but I don't think that place ever belonged to AI.....it was leased from UA and returned when AI started building their own fleet of 777s.....so, maybe not correct to show it as retired by AI....
 
eamondzhang
Posts: 794
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:23 am

Re: The 777 retirement and scrapping thread

Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:51 pm

KarelXWB wrote:
eamondzhang wrote:
On the other hand, anyone knows CX's 77W retirement status? I thought there should be 5 a/c going off lease soon but I haven't heard any updates.

Cheers
Michael


I'm not aware of any CX 77W retirements. Did you mean the 777-300 perhaps?

No I mean 777-300ER, I knew CX planned to retire the oldest 5 leased birds (including B-KPB and that's the reason why they repaint B-HNK into the Spirit of Hong Kong livery). They also started retiring relatively new (but leased) A330-300s but that's not the subject of this thread.

Michael
 
User avatar
KarelXWB
Moderator
Posts: 26968
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:13 pm

Re: The 777 retirement and scrapping thread

Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:21 pm

eamondzhang wrote:
KarelXWB wrote:
eamondzhang wrote:
On the other hand, anyone knows CX's 77W retirement status? I thought there should be 5 a/c going off lease soon but I haven't heard any updates.

Cheers
Michael


I'm not aware of any CX 77W retirements. Did you mean the 777-300 perhaps?

No I mean 777-300ER, I knew CX planned to retire the oldest 5 leased birds (including B-KPB and that's the reason why they repaint B-HNK into the Spirit of Hong Kong livery). They also started retiring relatively new (but leased) A330-300s but that's not the subject of this thread.

Michael


You are right. According to this post, 5 77W aircraft will be withdraw from the CX fleet.
What we leave behind is not as important as how we've lived.
 
na
Topic Author
Posts: 9579
Joined: Sun Dec 12, 1999 3:52 am

Re: The 777 retirement and scrapping thread

Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:49 pm

777GE90 wrote:
na wrote:
777GE90 wrote:
Is Emirates A6-EMV stored now?

As you can read in one of my posts above, A6-EMV is stored since October, making 2 1/2 months now.


Sorry I was only checking the main post, can't you edit your additions to the main post? Makes it much easier than trying to find them scattered through multiple posts.


I can´t edit the original post. But I will post an updated list from time to time when there are substantial additions to make.

Very recent retirements:
Saudia 77E HZ-AKM (last flight almost 4 weeks ago)
Saudia 77E HZ-AKR (last flight was two weeks ago)
Saudia 77E HZ-AKT (has not flown since a week)
I am not 100% sure of those, but as they were due to be retired in 2017, and havent flown for more than a week its fair to assume it is so.
I count five Saudia 77Es left in service per today, 03.01.2018.

Perhaps also
Egyptair 77E SU-GBS
has been retired. In recent years only doing back-up flights and removed from its livery since, it hasnt flown for a week.
 
Airboe
Posts: 79
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:50 pm

Re: The 777 retirement and scrapping thread

Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:45 am

Narfish641 wrote:
lightsaber wrote:
na wrote:

It really makes me wonder why Singapore wants to retire there A330s, it's been a while since I looked at their fleet age, but if I can remember they were not that old. Majority of them I believe are 11 years of age, which is not even that old. But I know there most definitely has to be a reason for this.


If I remember correctly Singapore bought a big bunch of A333's to bridge to the much delayed 788/789.
It was short time lease from the beginning.


KR/
Airboe


.
I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
Coming down is the hardest thing

- Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers
 
eamondzhang
Posts: 794
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:23 am

Re: The 777 retirement and scrapping thread

Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:16 pm

Airboe wrote:
Narfish641 wrote:
lightsaber wrote:


If I remember correctly Singapore bought a big bunch of A333's to bridge to the much delayed 788/789.
It was short time lease from the beginning.


KR/
Airboe


.

For the first 19 yes but that's partially Airbus' compensation for A380 delay. For the later 15 it's more of adding into the existing fleet and their lease term is quite a bit longer from what I read.

Michael

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos