KarelXWB
Topic Author

Alaska Airlines unveils A321neo "Most West Coast" livery

Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:45 am

AS latest A321neo, N925VA, features a special "Most West Coast" livery:

N925VA | Airbus A321-253N | Virgin America (special "Most West Coast" livery) by cv880m, on Flickr
What we leave behind is not as important as how we've lived.

PanzerPowner

Re: Alaska Airlines unveils A321neo "Most West Coast" livery

Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:50 am

The color tones match how one would hurl on white sheets when they see it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Well uh, I obviously decided to refine this but i dont know how.

wedgetail737

Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:53 am

Is the new SF Giants A321-Neo in revenue flight yet?

KarelXWB
Topic Author

Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:57 am

wedgetail737 wrote:
Is the new SF Giants A321-Neo in revenue flight yet?

Not yet, N924VA has not been delivered yet.
What we leave behind is not as important as how we've lived.

rj777

Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:12 am

Is it just me or is there no AS logo on it anywhere?

AaronPGH

Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:33 am

This is really really bad

AA737-823

Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:54 am

Actually, as a one-off, it's not so bad. We've certainly seen worse special/promotional liveries.
I'm not sure that I'd want them to paint a whole fleet this way, but they're not, so...
And it accurately ties in with the message they're trying to drive home: AS+VX=Pacific Coast Dominance.
Or maybe it's a hat tip to the new AS reality that, if you want to go anywhere OTHER THAN the West Coast, you're screwed, because they've basically lost both of their domestic US partners in the past year!

allegiantflyer

Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:55 am

Would it have killed them to put Chester on the tail? I really dislike a blank white tail it's practically a sin.

From an advertising/marketing standpoint this is bad, a flyer will look at the plane, and it would be difficult for them to associate it with AS, the plane says "most west coast" but what's the most west coast? Chester please.

jeffrey0032j

Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:02 am

allegiantflyer wrote:
Would it have killed them to put Chester on the tail? I really dislike a blank white tail it's practically a sin.

From an advertising/marketing standpoint this is bad, a flyer will look at the plane, and it would be difficult for them to associate it with AS, the plane says "most west coast" but what's the most west coast? Chester please.

Chester is proudly all Boeing.

VC10er

Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:02 am

Gosh, folks are so cynical! No, I don’t love it, but it isn’t horrible- I’ve seen worse.
Question for me is: what is the role for special liveries? For me it should build on brand equity and strengthen it. Since it doesn’t adiquately pay rent into the brand, it’s a missed opportunity.
If AA were to do a great special livery that reinforces that they are the best choice for Latin America, that would be a smart thing to do. Or United doing a special livery to celebrate their many routes to Hawaii.
I recall so many people who hated the CO Peter Max livery that celebrated NYC. I think it was a smart thing to do, especially if most people didn’t consider CO as a viable airline to NYC.
All in my opinion!!!
To Most the Sky is The Limit, For me, the Sky is Home.

scbriml

Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:10 am

jeffrey0032j wrote:

Apart from the Dash-8s and E-jets? :sarcastic:
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

metaldirtnskin

Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:17 am

jeffrey0032j wrote:
allegiantflyer wrote:

Bragging rights to whoever is the first to get a shot of a "proudly all Boeing" AS 737 nose, with this thing in the background.

mooseofspruce

Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:53 am

When you can't possibly have an aircraft that is obviously not a Boeing operating for AS mainline that you'd rather leave the tail blank as not to raise suspicions.

...For the time being.

All it makes me do is imagine a blue-turquoise-green gradient with the Virgin logo on the tail to match the rest of it, although I suppose the "Operated by Virgin America" title in Circular font near the L1 door will suffice as even a little bit of Virgin.
I saw a flock of Moosen! Many much moosen! Out in the woods, in the wood-es, in the woodsen!

NameOmitted

Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:20 am

It's really bad, but mostly because the colors look washed out with the white trail. Once the single operating certificate is complete and they add Chester it will be... Ok. Bert then the Giants plane, but that's a pretty low bar to cross.

Samrnpage

Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:31 am

Ugh its not nice. However, its a beautiful plane. A321NEO is turning into a favorite of mine.

N14AZ

Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:41 am

Can anyone explain to me what is the meaning of „most west coast“?

NameOmitted

Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:02 pm

N14AZ wrote:

It means the marketing team is in a slump.

chepos

Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:56 pm

That tail! It all looks half baked, luckily it’s a one off.
Fly the Flag!!!!

knope2001

Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:05 pm

NameOmitted wrote:
N14AZ wrote:

It means the marketing team is in a slump.

Now that I've sprayed half my morning beverage all over my laptop, the previous poster has a point.

For his/her benefit it references Alaska having more west coast service than any other airline. It's not clear to me if that means the most cities, or the most departures, the most flights strictly within the west coast, if Alaska and Hawaii are part of the west coast or not, etc.

But nothing on the on the plane tells you that, and so it's easy not get the message. Seeing the thread title my first thought was that "Most West Coast" was more along the lines of "quintessential" west coast, as in they are iconic to the west, based in the west, etc. And the Alaska name isn't anyplace, though perhaps the titles are still coming.

If this is a part of a broader marketing push the plane might be a useful component, especially if they add an Alaska title someplace. But otherwise one could look at the plane and wonder if whoever is flying it is doing a billboard marketing tie-in with some cool new chain of yoga studios or doggie boutiques called Most West Coast that I'm not with-it enough to know about just yet.

VS11

Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:05 pm

Another head scratcher by Alaska. I am afraid they have really lost the plot.

flee

Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:16 pm

I think AS really does not know what to do with VX's new Airbus A321s. Their SF Giants liveried plane will also feature a white tail. Soon, we may hear people calling it the white tail airline!

Alaska Air SF Giants A321 by f lee, on Flickr
Last edited by flee on Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jfklganyc

Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:18 pm

Where is the airline name?

Have to put something on there.

AS is now a Boeing/Airbus airline...surely that reality has set in, no?

DWC

Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:19 pm

VC10er wrote:
Question for me is: what is the role for special liveries? For me it should build on brand equity and strengthen it. Since it doesn’t adiquately pay rent into the brand, it’s a missed opportunity.

In this case it is meant to take Alaska out of its niche in public perception & create a brand awareness across the states of Washington, Oregon & California as the "MOST WEST COAST" airline, particularly after
1. swallowing VX to become a bigger player
2. the row with DL in SEA & severing all FF ties with Skyteam members ( AA downgraded )
3. competition with UA in SFO
4. competition with SW in PDX
5. to say nothing of ultracompetitive LAX.

But the livery is incredibly dull for the purpose & in fact very pooly thought. The nacelles have matching colours but add nothing. And I agree with every bit you said :
allegiantflyer wrote:

Interesting livery. But it is VX (defunct, absorbed by AS ), not Virgin Australia (VA)
flee wrote:
I think AS really does not know what to do with VA's new Airbus A321s. Their SF Giants liveried plane will also feature a white tail. Soon, we may hear people calling it the white tail airline!

CobaltScar

Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:06 pm

Anything that gets that ugly lord of the rings dwarf looking thing with the creepy smile off the tail is a improvement.

ADrum23

Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:10 pm

rj777 wrote:
Is it just me or is there no AS logo on it anywhere?

I don't see it either.

ILS28ORD

Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:45 pm

Ugly.

StrandedAtMKG

Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:46 pm

I’m no expert at these fancy branding and marketing things, but that plane doesn’t have “Alaska Air” written on it anywhere and that seems like a bad idea. If they didn’t want to run afoul of AS’s all-Boeing marketing, why didn’t they just paint a 737?

bigtidi

Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:38 pm

I believe the livery is a bit sparse because the plane can't be painted in Alaska livery prior to gaining single operating certificate (late January). Don't think they wanted to put too much work into a livery that may be short lived.

Sent from my Acer Chromebook R13 (CB5-312T) using Tapatalk

PlanesNTrains

Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:50 pm

I sincerely doubt it’s going to be a white tail or lack Alaska branding.
-Dave

MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.

GalaxyFlyer

Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:53 pm

They got rid of the Wolfman? Oh, the humanity.

Gf

mooseofspruce

Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:54 pm

flee wrote:
I think AS really does not know what to do with VX's new Airbus A321s. Their SF Giants liveried plane will also feature a white tail. Soon, we may hear people calling it the white tail airline!

VS11 wrote:
Another head scratcher by Alaska. I am afraid they have really lost the plot.

StrandedAtMKG wrote:
I’m no expert at these fancy branding and marketing things, but that plane doesn’t have “Alaska Air” written on it anywhere and that seems like a bad idea. If they didn’t want to run afoul of AS’s all-Boeing marketing, why didn’t they just paint a 737?

My facetious self that I sincerely hope is wrong thinks that to AS, the VX brand is just as taboo as applying the mainline AS brand explicitly on anything that is not a Boeing. So they came up with this "thing" that accomplishes little for either brand. Maybe it's so bad that the remaining A321neos will get whatever special livery they can pull out of nothing where neither Alaska nor Virgin America are clearly stated, complete with white tails, except in titles you can only read from 5-10 feet away near the L1 door for the sake of fitting within regulations? :banghead:

jfklganyc wrote:
Where is the airline name?

Have to put something on there.

AS is now a Boeing/Airbus airline...surely that reality has set in, no?

That'd be the idea, wouldn't it? Yet here we are, where it looks as though they don't want to contradict the "Proudly All Boeing" nose text they hadn't made any headway in removing even though they've already acknowledged the Airbuses will stick around for another ~7(+?) years and have wrote themselves into a corner.

Boeing purism culture can have a place but this isn't it. Otherwise what's so hard about picking a brand and sticking with it? :duck:

bigtidi wrote:
I believe the livery is a bit sparse because the plane can't be painted in Alaska livery prior to gaining single operating certificate (late January). Don't think they wanted to put too much work into a livery that may be short lived.

Unless things have changed, to my knowledge all that's required is a title (commonly near the L1/L2 door) where the operator is written. I can recall DL/AA using an "operated by ____" title near the door, DL using the AOC# for NW's jets after repainting into the DL livery, while AA wrote "operated by US Airways" on US planes repainted to the AA livery prior to either of their AOC merges. Not sure what UA/CO did.

On the other side of the world when Tigerair (TR) and Scoot (TZ) merged the TR AOC and the Scoot brand this year, they wrote "operated by Scoot Tigerair Pte Ltd." on the TR Airbuses and actually still display it post-Scoot repaint. AS could accomplish this by painting full AS livery on VX jets/deliveries with a temporary "operated by Virgin America" title until the AOC is merged, and also add "operated by Alaska Airlines" on the existing VX Airbuses that will be awaiting repaint into the AS livery while operating AS-coded flights, whether that's indeed in January or still in April as the VX system still accepts bookings up to.

But it seems they've chosen to display neither brand, at least explicitly.

Before anyone gets any antagonistic ideas I'm saying this out of love for both brands. With VX's Elevate Fly Store discontinued years ago and "only" Alaska's Company Store available between the two, I bought some branded items (and more for Christmas) as a way of coping/resignation/embracing the new brand since VX was (if my username didn't make this obvious :cry2:) my airline of choice, since AS's rebrand even before the merger impressed me. The SF Giants livery says nothing about either. This barely so just from the color scheme or choice of fonts, if it all, unless they plan on adding something more.

This merger is about taking the best of both, right? On social media various comments from fliers range this from AS's customer service, Free Chat connectivity, and route/partner network with VX's planes, culture/experience, mood lighting, IFE, etc. Since AS will continue operating VX's Airbuses it'd include them by default, no?

Either way, unless they want to operate a bunch of white-tailed Airbuses (I honestly hope this white-tail disease doesn't happen to the 63+ others) for the sake of a thinly-veiled "all-Boeing" moniker for the next 7-odd years (unless they plan to add a new loophole where they can just say the full livery was only ever applied on the Boeings)...they'll have to add the full livery including Chester eventually anyway. It just says why not do that sooner rather than later and cause more disruptions and expenses. :biting:

I don't expect all that (really just worst-case scenarios based on what little I've found to work off of, even after all this time) to happen, and I hope I am proven wrong. :thumbsup:
Last edited by mooseofspruce on Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I saw a flock of Moosen! Many much moosen! Out in the woods, in the wood-es, in the woodsen!

bigtidi

Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:54 pm

PlanesNTrains wrote:
I sincerely doubt it’s going to be a white tail or lack Alaska branding.
Yes maybe they will add branding after single operating certificate. That would complete the livery.

wedgetail737

Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:01 pm

You all know that the actual VX/AS unity doesn't become effective until April 2018. They may be waiting to apply the eskimo until near that timeframe.

CFRPwingALbody

Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:20 pm

flee wrote:

Alaska Air SF Giants A321 by f lee, on Flickr

Sorry off topic, but I think this one could be nice on the tale:

Frontier14

Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:30 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if one sees Alaska added somewhere on the frame before too long. There is very little "connection" to the airline's real identity.

Frontier 14

cschleic

Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:39 pm

Yes, hopefully AS branding added once the combined operating certificate happens. In the meantime, agree with others, looks washed out.

BayAreaLen

Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:41 pm

The 321 has been my least favorite, least exciting jet, as an aviation enthusiast, for many years now, but I have to admit, in this special livery, it looks fantastic! The light color scheme with the purity of the white tail and body, and especially the matching nacelles, look amazing, especially for an otherwise dull 321.

Tailwinds

Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:10 pm

The plane CAN'T yet have Alaska branding because it's a Virgin jet flying Virgin flights. If it were operating Alaska flights they could at least say Alaska Airlines operated by Virgin America, but that changeover hasn't happened yet. Expect this to go back in the paint shop for a Chester and Alaska branding ASAP once they have a single operating certificate. Same with the SF Giants plane.

Edit: These two liveries are decals. Effectively they're white-tails. Instead of taking new deliveries with the Virgin livery and repainting them later, they're taking new deliveries as all-white and using decals to spruce them up a little until they get the OK to take the full Alaska livery. Who knows if they'll stick around as special livery planes after that.
Last edited by Tailwinds on Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

seat1a

Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:10 pm

I think they're headed in the right direction, but something tells me they're not finished. Just a couple thoughts:
- Put the eskimo on the tail
- Put Alaska someplace (perhaps smaller) near the front
- Like the engine nacelles
- Like the concept of West Coast city skylines and landmarks with the 'More West Coast'; however, how about a decal of SF, LA, SEA, palm trees, mountain peaks, some clouds, instead of repeating the same one shown.

Just my two cents, but they have the right idea. Just finish it.

NWADTWE16

Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:15 pm

THis merger has been so painful to watch. VX represented everything great about flying, it was the airline to counter "blah airlines". To see it absorbed by the "blahest" of airlines turns my stomach.

To be honest, the incompentence of the AS mgmt. in allowing things like this to occur, have me wondering if this airline has anything working properly at the moment, ie safety, there I said it, but as a passenger, I don't feel comfortable spending a dime on this carrier. They boxed themselves into this corner, and their behavior is earily similar to another company which also boxed themselves into a corner recently, their best pal Boeing.

Long live VX, but not this merged fiasco!
I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list!

SANFan

Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:17 pm

My .02 worth.

AAG had to paint the new 321s with something, and neither the AS livery nor the VX livery were really appropriate. So they had to come up with something temporarily. This particular a/c got this look and maybe each additional new 'Bus will have something novel. White tails included.

On April 25, when VX ceases to exist -- at least schedule-wise -- I suspect Chester will magically (overnight) appear on the tails. Then, gradually, the rest of the livery will transform into a more AS-ish livery.

I'm not really the least bit concerned about the raging "Proudly All-Boeing" debate that seems to consume some A.netters...

bb

Planesmart

Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:19 pm

seat1a wrote:
I think they're headed in the right direction, but something tells me they're not finished.

Yes. The new name and logo to follow.

SFOtoORD

Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:26 pm

So ugly. Alaska has been doing better on brand identity, but this is a net negative to those efforts.

PlanesNTrains

Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:44 pm

SANFan wrote:
I'm not really the least bit concerned about the raging "Proudly All-Boeing" debate that seems to consume some A.netters...

bb

Considering that they've said they'll be painting the Airbii into Alaska colors, it's an odd thing for people to be rattling on about in this thread. I think for some it's just an opportunity to bash, but whatevrz.
-Dave

MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.

PlanesNTrains

Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:45 pm

SFOtoORD wrote:
So ugly. Alaska has been doing better on brand identity, but this is a net negative to those efforts.

It's a couple of planes caught in merger purgatory. Who cares?
-Dave

cschleic

Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:08 pm

PlanesNTrains wrote:
SANFan wrote:

bb

Considering that they've said they'll be painting the Airbii into Alaska colors, it's an odd thing for people to be rattling on about in this thread. I think for some it's just an opportunity to bash, but whatevrz.

Agreed, never understood the hangup with that. What, they weren't going to acquire someone simply because the target didn't operate Boeing? Oh puhlease. Alaska (excluding Horizon, a separate company) was all Boeing for a time. Now it isn't. The world turns, things change. The planes will change. Time to worry about larger issues.

KiloRomeoDelta

Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:15 pm

If they don't want to scrub off the PROUDLY ALL BOEING writing from under the cockpit of their entire existing fleet, I have a suggestion to edit it-

PROUDLY ALL BOEING AND AIRBUS ...AND EMBRAER AND BOMBARDIER

MesserJ

Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:16 pm

I think the white tail is just temporary (as this is still a Virgin America plane) and they will put the AS branding on the tail when the airlines are being integrated after they are under one AOC

IPFreely

Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:19 pm

NWADTWE16 wrote:
Long live VX, but not this merged fiasco!

VX is dead. Any business that loses $523,000,000 over 10 years is going to die. An acquisition was the only hope for the shareholders to ever get their money back and for the the employees to keep their jobs.

MesserJ

Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:20 pm

KiloRomeoDelta wrote:
If they don't want to scrub off the PROUDLY ALL BOEING writing from under the cockpit of their entire existing fleet, I have a suggestion to edit it-

PROUDLY ALL BOEING AND AIRBUS ...AND EMBRAER AND BOMBARDIER

It's a bit odd to me how recent 737 repaints and new deliveries still have "proudly all boeing" on it. You'd think they would've omitted that from the design by now. Keep the Boeing logo but get rid of the text underneath.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos