Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

IPFreely

Re: Power outage in ATL

Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:25 am

iahcsr wrote:
Plus how are any vouchers provided if no power to print them? Everyone needs keep ALL receipts from this should any sort of compensation be offered at a later time however. The scope of the thousands of people affected by this is mind boggling.

We live in a paperless world. CSR's do not have to print vouchers, they can issue them electronically. And they don't have to be issued by CSR's in ATL who have no (electronic) power; they can be issued by CSR's anywhere in the world.

jplatts

Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:25 am

Midwestindy wrote:
kalvado wrote:
Corpsnerd09 wrote:
However, it's a minor point, WN is also big at ATL and has no agreements, but no one is criticizing them. Delta has other hubs they can use.

I wonder if WN runs a lot of connecting traffic through ATL. Those going to/from ATL have no choice but wait..
And for those connecting through ATL, I hope WN can reroute the traffic - I had an impression they can be creative with that.

Don't worry too much about WN, sure ATL is a large focus city for them, but WN's system is set up so that traffic can flow relatively seemlessly even when there is a large problem at one of their larger stations. WN has a lot of focus cities in close proximity that can be relievers for ATL in event such as this (ex MCO, TPA, BWI or even MSY, HOU, DAL, BNA, STL).

A luxury that DL does not have.....

Good answer for most of the WN customers that would otherwise be connecting through ATL, but WN only has nonstop service to ATL from GSP and RIC whereas all of the other WN airports have nonstop service to at least one of the following airports on WN: DEN, DAL, HOU, STL, MDW, or BWI.

ltbewr

Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:29 am

That there has been no confirmed statements of what triggered this 'blackout' is likely proper security and emergency protocols so not to give terrorists ideas how to cripple an airport or not make things worse by false rumors, to let those trying to figure it out to do their job first. This will have massive problems this week and into next week restrict traffic at ATL for days.

We have seen cities like NY and for example in August of 2003 in much of the northeastern USA have massive blackouts. As some posters with experience with utility electrical systems have noted, usually when something goes wrong, all kinds of circuit breakers trip to protect the 'grid' from further damage like from surges. The cascade of shutdowns is to prevent damage to the electrical systems in the terminal buildings.

capejet

Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:31 am

At this time DL has canceled 300 flights for monday due to the outage.

robsaw

Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:44 am

ltbewr wrote:
That there has been no confirmed statements of what triggered this 'blackout' is likely proper security and emergency protocols so not to give terrorists ideas how to cripple an airport or not make things worse by false rumors, to let those trying to figure it out to do their job first. This will have massive problems this week and into next week restrict traffic at ATL for days.

We have seen cities like NY and for example in August of 2003 in much of the northeastern USA have massive blackouts. As some posters with experience with utility electrical systems have noted, usually when something goes wrong, all kinds of circuit breakers trip to protect the 'grid' from further damage like from surges. The cascade of shutdowns is to prevent damage to the electrical systems in the terminal buildings.

I don't buy the security angle as a blanket default reason for any "big" incident. There was a fire at an electrical facility and it is confirmed that fire-fighters attended and extinguished the fire. Why precisely that fire occured is another question but "Georgia Power said it believes the outage may have been the result of a fire that caused extensive damage in one of the company's underground electrical facilities. The fire was safely extinguished by fire crews before Georgia Power could enter the area to assess damage and begin repairs, the company said."

An airport doesn't have a "grid" with the sort of monitoring and automated power-routing like the transmission line electrical system. The power is out at across multiple terminals because there was likely no power coming in from their primary (and only? feed not because of a cascading failure like the big regional blackouts you reference.

Sooner787

Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:47 am

mikelive wrote:
It's gonna be a long night @ the call center for this WN agent...

Might be a long day tomorrow at our travel agency ..... Xmas week , so we'll have a skeleton crew for the next 2 weeks :shock:

litz

Also something else that can be inferred from some of the news that has come out ...

There is some kind of main electrical trunk for the airport that basically follows the Plane Train path down the length of the airport from F back to A, plus the main terminal.

Again, inferring from the news, there was some kind of major fault at a substation, and in the process at the airport of switching over to the redundant substation, something failed ... whether it's switching gear or something else is unknown.

Evidently, as a result of these substation and/or switching issues, that main power trunk running down the length of the airport failed between F and E, and caught on fire ... and burned for TWO HOURS before it could be extinguished.

Putting my "I know a bit about power distribution" hat on, I'd guess that there was either a surge,or a phase difference issue between the two power sources, and the weak point of failure was that trunk line location between E and F. Ideally when switching from A to B, you match the phase cycles between the two, and switch ... or drop the feed entirely, and connect to the other feed after you're sure the systems have de-energized. Something failed here, and the two systems interacted -- badly -- with each other.

Ga Power was very clear that BOTH substations were affected, as was the "equipment" in the tunnel between E and F.

That trunk line is big, big, big huge conductors. You don't fix that quickly ... Setting aside the firefighting itself, you can't touch the gear until it's sufficiently cooled down, and you have guarantees it's not energized.

Then you have to bring in replacement parts (and this stuff is very very big, and very very heavy), which has to be trucked in from wherever it's stored by the utility, then installed. Lots of heavy, hard work.

Basically, this is just really nasty stuff, and an absolute worst case of possible worst cases, that hit exactly where the carefully planned redundancy of the systems doesn't matter (the failure occurred past the point where the redundant sources join together)

What can be done moving forward? I'd guess you'll see an effort for standby gensets to power the most important, core, building systems ...lights,etc. ... on the concourses and terminals. It's probably not feasible to power everything though, since things like escalators, jetways, elevators, baggage systems, security scanners, etc are major power consumers, likely in excess of genset capacity.

Cubsrule

ADrum23 wrote:
jetblueguy22 wrote:
ADrum23 wrote:

Grow more? They are the busiest airport in the world!

No, there does need to be slot controls because a hub that has 1,000+ flights a day and is responsible for being the connection point for almost half of a particular airline's traffic is irresponsible. No hub should have more than 600-700 flights. Even AA at DFW is too much. If Delta had spread out there traffic amongst many hubs instead of routing nearly 50% of their traffic through ATL, this may not be as bad right now.

And if DL didnt have a hub in ATL this wouldn’t have happened at all!

If DL finds it best for their business to run most of their flights through one airport, that is their call. If the shareholders don’t like it, they can let them know. But there are more gains than losses in having a fortress hub like ATL. This could have happened anywhere, DL isn’t the problem here.

The point is, if they spread their connections out more, it wouldn't be quite as bad.

. . . and things wouldn't be as convenient on the 99+ percent of days that run smoothly. Why is one so obviously better than the other?
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

neomax

Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:54 am

airzona11 wrote:
Would be the same if this was UA/AA/BA/EK etc or IAH/EWR/DFW/DXB/LHR etc.

It would've been better for UA or AA, but it would've been even more horrific at LHR or DXB. Imagine the same number of cancellations except all A380's and 777's!

cvgComair

Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:56 am

ATL is great for DL the 355+ days a year everything runs smoothly. DL has a 40 gate concourse sitting at CVG (that they fully own) that could easily be used to setup a reliever hub, but they don't. Obviously DL has calculated that the efficiency of the ATL mega hub outweighs the benefits of having a more spread out network.

There is a reason DL is giving up gates at CVG in Concourse B next year for American Airlines to come in, they don't plan on spreading out capacity. Sure CVG is growing for DL, they have already scheduled an 11% bump in seats YOY for 2018! DL is not stupid, the economics of ATL are probably really good for the amount of passengers they can carry through on a daily basis. All of their midwest hubs (DTW/MSP/CVG) are growing well and have room for major expansion. However, if it was the better option, they would have probably already done it. This is not the first time ATL has had issues and it certainly will not be the last, but DL knows they are able to run a profitable and efficient airline most of the time.
Last edited by cvgComair on Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

litz

Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:58 am

robsaw wrote:
An airport doesn't have a "grid" with the sort of monitoring and automated power-routing like the transmission line electrical system. The power is out at across multiple terminals because there was likely no power coming in from their primary (and only? feed not because of a cascading failure like the big regional blackouts you reference.

Well, yes and no ... while the utility doesn't monitor on-premise stuff, the airport most assuredly does. Not that it did them much good, their equipment most assuredly told them nothing more than a cascading failure that blacked out all their buildings. Maybe, possibly, a fire alarm from the electrical equipment room where the fire occurred.

What the utility has, is multiple feeds for power into the customer facility (e.g., the airport), and the switching gear necessary to switch between those feeds, as required, to ensure continued power is provided to the customer.

Have you ever heard a BANG! at your house, during a storm, and your lights blinked off for a second or so, then came back on?

That is this type of switching gear doing its job, switching your residential circuit from one feed to another (usually due to a tree/limb falling and a blown transformer or breaker/fuse).

You can very reliably bet that Ga Power knew immediately about the issue at both of their substations, as well as the cessation of energy flow into the airport property. If the equipment on the airport (where the fire was) was Ga Power equipment, they knew immediately about (at the very least) some kind of issue with that equipment as well. Maybe not that there was a fire, but you can be sure it was shouting all kinds of alarms up the monitoring systems.

Lastly, as to the terminal and concourse buildings going black ... emergency lights (and exit signs) run for a set amount of time on battery, then they're gone.

Most building operations manuals specify evacuation of the building in case of a complete power outage, to ensure everyone is out of the building before the emergency lighting batteries are exhausted.

So if you came into those buildings (e.g. after being stuck on your airplane for 2-4 hours), it's very possible, and quite likely, that all those batteries had exhausted and there was absolutely NO lighting of any kind.
Last edited by litz on Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

FlyingVan

Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:19 am

A friend of mine was supposed to fly to Madrid Sunday evening and of course the flight canceled. He was rebooked for Wednesday evening. That is a loooong time. I hope the connecting passengers don't have to wait that long in ATL.

rnav2dlrey

Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:22 am

mict wrote:
Also reports of deplaning using emergency slides.

source? i highly doubt this happened.

muralir

litz wrote:
Something y'all need to realize about an outage of this magnitude ....

Purely speculation, but this comes with some knowledge of distribution infrastructure.

Something the size of ATL is a HUGE consumer ... bigger than some large towns.

Thanks for that. Another data point to put things in perspective. I believe ORD is the largest consumer of electricity in IL. Yes, all those factories, steel plants, data centers, skyscrapers, etc. None of them consume as much power as ORD. So this is hardly at the level of the cable guy digging in your backyard and accidentally cutting your power line. Something else happened, possibly not even at the airport itself (e.g. a substation or transformer along the supply line). There will likely be lots of news fragments coming out over the next few hours but we likely won't have a full picture for days.

nutsaboutplanes

rnav2dlrey wrote:
mict wrote:

I think people got confused. I heard some really uninformed news reports that said people had to “slide down” emergency stairs. It sounded to me like they were using mx stands and air stair trucks which would make a lot more sense.
American Airlines, US Airways, Alaska Airlines, Northwest Airlines, America West Airlines, USAFR

PSU.DTW.SCE

Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:25 am

ATL is a well-oiled operation but is still always a house of cards.

airtechy

Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:34 am

It's obviously going to be a long night in Atl for a lot of people...workers and passengers. Just the problem of getting everyone back before security for rescreening would be bad enough. Where do you store them temporarily? :scratchchin:

nalez

Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:35 am

robsaw wrote:

Some information regarding the power at the airport:
https://www.faa.gov/airports/environmental/sustainability/media/ATLSustainableMasterPlan.pdf
Electrical distribution at the CPTC, excluding Concourse E, is supplied by a 4-cable electrical infrastructure system (19.8 KV) with
utility company substations at each Terminal and Concourse. Peak electric demand at H-JAIA, including Concourse E, is approximately 35 MVA
with projections to reach 65 MVA by the year 2015.

litz

Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:36 am

As of 11:19pm, they have restored power to the main terminal, plus T, A, and B concourses.

Jano

Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:36 am

SpinOn2 wrote:

Crappy situation, I feel bad for the travelers obviously, but also very bad for any Customer facing person at ATL (or any worker for that matter). Hopefully most people are understanding in this situation.

Customer facing people, and I dealt with DL people, airport people and a few police officers, were absolutely wonderful. Kudos to them.
The Widget Air Line :)

Jano

Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:40 am

litz wrote:

Lastly, as to the terminal and concourse buildings going black ... emergency lights (and exit signs) run for a set amount of time on battery, then they're gone.

Most building operations manuals specify evacuation of the building in case of a complete power outage, to ensure everyone is out of the building before the emergency lighting batteries are exhausted.

Emergency lights were on since the problem started until at least 9pm, when I left the airport. I was quite positively surprised how much lights stayed ON.
The Widget Air Line :)

TW870

Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:42 am

nutsaboutplanes wrote:
rnav2dlrey wrote:
mict wrote:

I think people got confused. I heard some really uninformed news reports that said people had to “slide down” emergency stairs. It sounded to me like they were using mx stands and air stair trucks which would make a lot more sense.

I agree with others that this is extremely unlikely from an operational perspective. ATL is home to tech ops that has many sets of stairs to fit every aircraft type. Even if you had to wait for a considerable amount of time for stair service, this is far preferable to slide evacuation, which could take aircraft out of service until slides are inspected and re-packed. Delta needs to ramp back up tomorrow, and aircraft with blown slides would compromise the whole operation. Plus, injuries for older people and those with disabilities are a huge issue with slides. You use them when people's lives are threatened by remaining aboard the aircraft. I cannot imagine a captain ordering an evacuation regardless of what ACARS message he or she got.

Sancho99504

Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:43 am

Georgia Power is saying that it wasn't a cut, but a fire in one it's underground power facility.
kill 'em all and let God sort 'em out-USMC

litz

Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:44 am

nalez wrote:
robsaw wrote:

Some information regarding the power at the airport:
https://www.faa.gov/airports/environmental/sustainability/media/ATLSustainableMasterPlan.pdf
Electrical distribution at the CPTC, excluding Concourse E, is supplied by a 4-cable electrical infrastructure system (19.8 KV) with
utility company substations at each Terminal and Concourse. Peak electric demand at H-JAIA, including Concourse E, is approximately 35 MVA
with projections to reach 65 MVA by the year 2015.

To put this in perspective, a popular gas turbine generator used in power plants is the GE LM6000, based on the CF-6 engine.

It would take TWO of these generators to supply the airport.

In other words, the airport just about (or in effect) consumes the output of an ENTIRE POWER PLANT.

That ain't small, folks.

tp1040

Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:51 am

You could have full back up power on site, but unless you have completely redundant distribution systems, they same problem would have happened.

Tiger119

Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:05 am

Corpsnerd09 wrote:
neomax wrote:
flyguy84 wrote:
Correct. Entire airport appears to be without power. Groundstop in place for incoming traffic.

Any diversions yet?

I heard DL has at least 8, AA PHX-ATL diverting to DFW..

I'm guessing, if AA had anything to say in the matter, they would want to divert as many as they could to CLT, DFW, MIA & ORD (and probably in that order). I saw that a TV station in ATL was saying power came back on around four hours ago. It is probably still a mess.
Flying is the second greatest thrill known to mankind, landing is the first!

fraspotter

Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:30 am

jplatts wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:
kalvado wrote:
I wonder if WN runs a lot of connecting traffic through ATL. Those going to/from ATL have no choice but wait..
And for those connecting through ATL, I hope WN can reroute the traffic - I had an impression they can be creative with that.

Don't worry too much about WN, sure ATL is a large focus city for them, but WN's system is set up so that traffic can flow relatively seemlessly even when there is a large problem at one of their larger stations. WN has a lot of focus cities in close proximity that can be relievers for ATL in event such as this (ex MCO, TPA, BWI or even MSY, HOU, DAL, BNA, STL).

Good answer for most of the WN customers that would otherwise be connecting through ATL, but WN only has nonstop service to ATL from GSP and RIC whereas all of the other WN airports have nonstop service to at least one of the following airports on WN: DEN, DAL, HOU, STL, MDW, or BWI.

My mom was flying out on the 18th on WN from RIC to DEN via ATL and while there was no word as to whether the 6AM flight to ATL was cancelled or not I decided to cancel her reservation (and get credit for a future flight) and use miles to get here on the direct UA flight to DEN leaving in the afternoon. Even though the power is coming back on at ATL the effects of the outage will continue through tomorrow (a lot of aircraft and crews are out of position) and I didnt want to put here through that fiasco of trying to get on another flight out of RIC when hundreds of others are trying to do the same thing if the WN flights were canceled. I had the same problem on WN last year (literally to the day Dec 18th). My morning WN flight to ATL was canceled and I wasnt able to get out of RIC until the 21st.
"The strength of the turbulence is directly proportional to the temperature of your coffee."

— Gunter's Second Law of Air Travel

kingcavalier

Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:40 am

AJC is reporting that power has been fully restored
Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness

TallThrill

Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:43 am

litz wrote:
As of 11:19pm, they have restored power to the main terminal, plus T, A, and B concourses.

According to @ATLairport's twitter at 12:06am "UPDATE: Power has been restored on all concourses. 5,000+ meals are being delivered to passengers. Trains will be operational soon."

luv2cattlecall

Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:48 am

fraspotter wrote:
jplatts wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:

My mom was flying out on the 18th on WN from RIC to DEN via ATL and while there was no word as to whether the 6AM flight to ATL was cancelled or not I decided to cancel her reservation (and get credit for a future flight) and use miles to get here on the direct UA flight to DEN leaving in the afternoon. Even though the power is coming back on at ATL the effects of the outage will continue through tomorrow (a lot of aircraft and crews are out of position) and I didnt want to put here through that fiasco of trying to get on another flight out of RIC when hundreds of others are trying to do the same thing if the WN flights were canceled. I had the same problem on WN last year (literally to the day Dec 18th). My morning WN flight to ATL was canceled and I wasnt able to get out of RIC until the 21st.

Give them a call and you can get the money as a refund instead of just a future flight credit.

Narfish641

Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:55 am

Power finally restored to all concourses! THANK GOD!!! But there is gonna be a lot of mess before everything goes back to normal.
Flew on:
SWA 737 738

ubeema

Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:58 am

Power is restored at all concourses:
https://twitter.com/atlairport/status/9 ... 4125624320

fraspotter

Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:27 am

luv2cattlecall wrote:
fraspotter wrote:
jplatts wrote:

Give them a call and you can get the money as a refund instead of just a future flight credit.

I know but she’s going to fly again in April so she can just use it then. That and I was on the phone waiting for over an hour before giving up and canceling online.
"The strength of the turbulence is directly proportional to the temperature of your coffee."

— Gunter's Second Law of Air Travel

DIRECTFLT

Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:31 am

CNN 12:30AM

Power was fully restored around midnight.

The outage, which affected all airport operations, started with a fire in a Georgia Power underground electrical facility, Atlanta Mayor Kasim Reed said. The electrical fire's intensity damaged two substations serving the airport, including the airport's "redundant system" that should have provided backup power, Reed said.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/12/17/us/atlant ... index.html

UPDATE 10:14 p.m.

Atlanta Mayor Kasim Reed says all planes at Atlanta's Hartsfield Jackson have been de-planed.

The City of Atlanta has mobilized the Georgia International Convention Center and will provide shuttle services for anyone who needs a place to stay for the night.

Chick-fil-A will also be providing food for passengers.

http://www.wrdw.com/content/news/Federa ... 99363.html

CNN's Betsy Klein spent nearly seven hours in a plane on the tarmac, waiting to move. At one point, the crew said 92 planes were stuck on the tarmac, Klein said. People maintained composure as food and drinks ran out, but by hour seven, patience was wearing thin.

When she finally deplaned around 9 p.m. it was sweltering inside the airport, she said.

Yes, besides no regular lighting, with the AC out, it gets stuffy very quickly. That's the invisible downside to no A/C inside a building.
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling

bravoindia

Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:04 am

After the weather impacts this year as well as this event now, I wonder if this opens the door for ORD to be the World’s Busiest for 2017?

Glad to see the power back on hopefully after this stressful event everyone can get to spend next Monday with family like they had planned.
Jet-A, coffee, headset.

danman132x

Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:13 am

Canceled my flights today. Delta has been very accommodating though.
Originally was supposed to fly FRA-AMS-VPS. That got changed to delta 9923 today, which would've been nice and was nice and empty.
Now it's rebooked to tomorrow delta flight 15, but packed and me and my booking partner got split up instead of side by side, so we'll have to sit by strangers.. And being 6'5",not going to be comfortable.

Delta did give hotel room at the steigenberger here at FRA and meal vouchers on paper for us for breakfast, lunch, dinner and breakfast again.

Glad everything is back up and running though. Never thought I'd get stuck at an airport, but I guess it can happen to anyone.

Not mad at delta or anyone though, as no one can control what happens. It's unbelievable the stuff I read on Facebook bashing airlines when something like this happens. If you're friendly, you'll most likely get better help. There's only so much they can do. Some people claim you can book another airline and delta has to refund it to you later, but that seems like a lot of hassle.

Looks like delta 15 is the only flight out of Frankfurt tomorrow also..

Why doesn't delta go through anywhere else though. It seems like ATL is their only main hub for smaller city connections.

jamesontheroad

Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:39 am

My thoughts are with everyone disrupted and the employees working hard through the night to fix this.

Meanwhile, just when you thought it couldn't get any worse...

DIRECTFLT wrote:

:crazy:

neomax

Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:56 am

jamesontheroad wrote:
My thoughts are with everyone disrupted and the employees working hard through the night to fix this.

Meanwhile, just when you thought it couldn't get any worse...

DIRECTFLT wrote:

:crazy:

I know you're being sarcastic, but Chick-fil-A is pretty good, and where else are you going to get CFA on a Sunday?

iahcsr

Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:00 am

IPFreely wrote:
iahcsr wrote:
Plus how are any vouchers provided if no power to print them? Everyone needs keep ALL receipts from this should any sort of compensation be offered at a later time however. The scope of the thousands of people affected by this is mind boggling.

We live in a paperless world. CSR's do not have to print vouchers, they can issue them electronically. And they don't have to be issued by CSR's in ATL who have no (electronic) power; they can be issued by CSR's anywhere in the world.

If only it were that easy..... in situations such as this believe me it’s not. The world is not yet completely paperless... Someday perhaps, but not now.
Working Hard, Flying Right Friendly....

ei146

Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:25 am

danman132x wrote:
Canceled my flights today. Delta has been very accommodating though.
Delta did give hotel room at the steigenberger here at FRA and meal vouchers on paper for us for breakfast, lunch, dinner and breakfast again.

Glad everything is back up and running though. Never thought I'd get stuck at an airport, but I guess it can happen to anyone.

You might make some use of that extra day in Frankfurt. The city is just a few minutes away on the S-Bahn. The Christmas Market in the old part of town is really nice, there is some shopping nearby and thereare also some interesting museums... :smile:

wenders825

Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:32 am

airzona11 wrote:
The busiest airport in the world is without power, this is going to cause a massive disruption. Would be the same if this was UA/AA/BA/EK etc or IAH/EWR/DFW/DXB/LHR etc.

Humorous to read some commentary. If you don't want to connect through Atlanta, you have plenty of other options.

BA/LHR and EK/DXB yes, because those are those airlines' only true hubs

but UA and AA evenly divide their traffic, something DL does not do. that post earlier that showed that ATL has more traffic than DTW/MSP COMBINED is telling. DL puts all their eggs in one basket, and then of course don't even have the interline agreements in place..

smokeybandit

Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:21 am

Note to ATL. Don't have your redundant system right next to your primary.

klm617

Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:12 am

PSU.DTW.SCE wrote:

That's why capacity needs to be more evenly obstructed over it's hubs. For east west traffic from the upper northwest ATL should not be their main point of transfer MSP or DTW should but because of lack of capacity through those hubs that doesn't happen.
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

klm617

Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:17 am

cvgComair wrote:
ATL is great for DL the 355+ days a year everything runs smoothly. DL has a 40 gate concourse sitting at CVG (that they fully own) that could easily be used to setup a reliever hub, but they don't. Obviously DL has calculated that the efficiency of the ATL mega hub outweighs the benefits of having a more spread out network.

There is a reason DL is giving up gates at CVG in Concourse B next year for American Airlines to come in, they don't plan on spreading out capacity. Sure CVG is growing for DL, they have already scheduled an 11% bump in seats YOY for 2018! DL is not stupid, the economics of ATL are probably really good for the amount of passengers they can carry through on a daily basis. All of their midwest hubs (DTW/MSP/CVG) are growing well and have room for major expansion. However, if it was the better option, they would have probably already done it. This is not the first time ATL has had issues and it certainly will not be the last, but DL knows they are able to run a profitable and efficient airline most of the time.

Tell that to the customer who has to wait three days to be rebooked because of capacity restrictions and over sold flights I really don't think they care this is one of the reasons I refuse to book an ATL connection on Delta.
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

klm617

Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:25 am

OKCDCA wrote:
GSPSPOT wrote:
geologyrocks wrote:
Probably maintain hubs in cesspool cities like Memphis.

That is SO not the point. Point is, DL already has multiple hubs. Total traffic/connectivity should be spread evenly among them, so that a disruption at one is not as dire as it is currently at ATL.

No, it shouldn't if that's how the airline figures they can achieve maximum profitability. While these airlines are service providers, they're also publicly traded companies whose first responsibility is to their shareholders. Obviously DL has seen multiple times where routing this much traffic through ATL has been an issue but the bean counters have determined the one-time expense associated with these events are much cheaper than employing enough staff and the other stuff associated with hubs at other locations. And depending on the outcome of the investigation into what caused this, I'm sure DL's legal team will make sure they are made whole.

Hopefully all the carriers are back on their feet in the morning and can recover from this as quickly as possible. With Christmas next weekend, I hope all the carriers are able to have smooth, efficient operations and get their customers home for the holidays.

Yes which means the customer doesn't really matter that much. Their first responsibility should be to make sure that the service they provide should effect every one involved as minimal as possible not just the investors. What kind of world have we come to where we can say return on investment is a priority over the customer and they way they may be effected by the service a company provides. It's that though process that is eroding the quality of life in this country. No mans experiences or well being is greater than another's.

jbflyguy84

Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:08 pm

QR755 arrived and then remained on the taxyways until Concourse F was reopened and aircraft were moved onto bays in the order at which they landed. 5hrs after landing a bay was made available for them. For the passengers it was nearly 21hrs on the aircraft. Nearly 23hrs for the crew. Consequently QR756/17DEC is delay 41hrs for crew rest purposes. QR755/6 18DEC will operate on schedule, presumeably to only upset one set of passengers with a 41hrs delay rather than 2 sets of passengers with 24hrs delay each

mikelive

Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:10 pm

Sooner787 wrote:
mikelive wrote:
It's gonna be a long night @ the call center for this WN agent...

Might be a long day tomorrow at our travel agency ..... Xmas week , so we'll have a skeleton crew for the next 2 weeks :shock:

The good news - if there is any - is that WN only cancelled two inbound flights into ATL this morning; otherwise, our schedule is due to operate as scheduled. But oh what a night...

dtw2hyd

Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:19 pm

PSU.DTW.SCE wrote:

Bean counters always can prove the consolidation benefits outweigh the cost of few interruptions. ATL always has at least one major WX related disruption in the summer. BOS deals with one winter event every year. Though this is a man-made disruption, for bean counters it is no different from a natural disruption.

Having said that utility interruption from one feed/sub-station should not take down a critical installation. By design, it should have multiple feeds from different grids egressing property from multiple directions.
All posts are just opinions.

readytotaxi

Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:43 pm

Can only imagine the total frustration of the passengers stuck on planes and can't get off for hours. The people in the terminal endlessly waiting for news and the staff unable to help because it's out of their hands. Thankfull it happened now and not next weekend.
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

catiii

Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:54 pm

Has anyone checked to see where Ed is? Leading another IROP from the Palm Beach Ritz Carlton residences, or is he leading from the front this time?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos