Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

patineta89

Re: LATAM to begin seasonal service to LAS

Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:08 pm

This is actually not a surprise to me.
Last time I checked there are about 200,000-250,000 Brazilian tourists to Vegas each year. More than enough to have a direct flight.
Most of this traffic is now arriving through ORL, NY, LAX and IAH connections. This is a solid move by LATAM that apparently beat Azul who had plans to do this back in 2014.
Local Brazilian community is growing steadily with between 5,000-10,000 total now.
I wouldn't be surprised if LATAM ends up turning this into an year round flight.
319 320 321 332 343 346 733 737 738 739 744 752 763 772 CRJ2 CRJ7 MD82 MD90
AMS ANC ATL BDL BGO BNA BUF BUR BWI CDG CPH DEN EWR FAO FNC FRA HEL LAS LAX LGA LHR LIS MAD MSP OAK ORD SFO SJC SLC TXL

pasu129

Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:14 pm

Oh the day VARIG will come back with all the 747-400 available now on market!

With that said, it is nice to see JJ with nonstop connection to Sao Paulo, Brazil. Las Vegas is one of the many favorite destinations of many Brazilians, as poster above, Adult Disneyland.
Viva Las Vegas

patineta89

Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:24 pm

Now... would this work:
Considering the Japanese ancestry population of southern Brazil is close to one million individuals, and considering that a GRU-Tokyo flight would always have to have a stop somewhere, what would be the chances of LATAM using LAS as a stopover to Tokyo?

Would this be feasible in terms of traffic rights?

The demand is there.
Plenty of Brazilian emigrants in Japan too.

Any thoughts?
319 320 321 332 343 346 733 737 738 739 744 752 763 772 CRJ2 CRJ7 MD82 MD90
AMS ANC ATL BDL BGO BNA BUF BUR BWI CDG CPH DEN EWR FAO FNC FRA HEL LAS LAX LGA LHR LIS MAD MSP OAK ORD SFO SJC SLC TXL

JJ777

Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:18 pm

patineta89 wrote:
Now... would this work:
Considering the Japanese ancestry population of southern Brazil is close to one million individuals, and considering that a GRU-Tokyo flight would always have to have a stop somewhere, what would be the chances of LATAM using LAS as a stopover to Tokyo?

The demand is there.

Any thoughts?

Unlikely. JJ has many good connection options in Europe and in the USA. In fact, JJ is now codesharing with JAL on JFK-NRT and JFK-HND. GRU-JFK-Tokyo is pretty much the perfect GRU-Tokyo route if you look at the GCM.

As for GRU-LAS, I wouldn't be surprised if this is the new GRU-MCO. My parents flew GRU-DFW-LAS yesterday and many who flew GRU-DFW were also connecting to LAS. With MIA, MCO, JFK, BOS and LAS (and AA flying to MIA, JFK, DFW and LAX), LATAM is now very well positioned in the USA.

VC10er

Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:03 am

I LOVE THAT PICTURE OF THE VARIG 744!

VARIG hurt just as much as PanAm. Imagine an RG 747-8i :-)

I would figure UA gets many Brazilians to LAS via IAH from GRU & GIG
To Most the Sky is The Limit, For me, the Sky is Home.

Sun Dec 24, 2017 8:10 pm

patineta89 wrote:
Now... would this work:

The demand is there.

Any thoughts?

No. I don't think they will try this at all because nowadays there are tons of option to choose with a great scope of prices to go from Brazil to Japan / Asia in general. The most popular ones are QR, EK, ET and TK. If you have an american visa, you can do it with AA, DL, UA and AC. On the Europe side, LH, BA, KLM, AF, IB, AZ. These are all with just one stop. Since most of the brazilian-japanese people going to Japan are dekasseguis, they will pretty choose the cheapest ticket available.

dcajet

Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:56 pm

patineta89 wrote:
Now... would this work:

The demand is there.

Any thoughts?

LATAM would need almost miracle-like powers to make such a route work. Emirates, Qatar, Ethiopian and Turkish have the Brazil-Japan market cornered for the price conscious traveler. Plenty of other options via the US/Canada and Europe, the former requiring a visa for the transfer.
Keep calm and wash your hands.

aemoreira1981

Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:00 am

patineta89 wrote:
Now... would this work:

The demand is there.

Any thoughts?

I will say not at all, because of US visa requirements. Everyone would need a C-1 visa just for the stopover, and the C-1 visa requirements are the same as any other immigrant visa. A better spot for a stopover would be to upgauge JJ8112/3 to an Airbus A350-900XWB and operate via MEX (given that there is already local feed with 4O). However, because AM flies MEX to NRT, I do not believe that JJ would have fifth freedom rights between MEX and NRT. If JJ were to consider flying to HND, however, I wonder if they could get fifth-freedom rights. Another option would be to codeshare with AM on the NRT flight (Japan Airlines does just that).

globalcabotage

Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:32 am

Yeah for Vegas! Double yeah for no DTW takeover (yet)!

Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:10 am

Well, it looks like the seasonal JJ flight from GRU to LAS will return in December.

At first they announced that they would fly from June 2nd until September 30th, 2018. Now they will also fly from December 15th to February 29th, 2019. 3x/weekly.

Tickets are already for sale and the operating aircraft will be the B767.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos