Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

flyjoe
Topic Author

Greensboro / PTIA changing names

Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:32 pm

Piedmont Triad International Airport to become Central North Carolina International Airport.
https://flyfrompti.com/airport-authorit ... =hootsuite

I know NC is a long state and GSO is near the middle although in the northern part of it. I just don’t think of GSO as central NC.

At least they didn’t call it Charlotte, Raleigh, Greensboro International Airport.

flyPIT

Re: Greensboro / PTIA changing names

Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:49 pm

That's almost as bad as North Central West Virginia Regional Airport (CKB).
FLYi

GSPSPOT

Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:57 pm

Bad move.
Great Lakes, great life.

Noise

Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:14 pm

flyjoe wrote:
Piedmont Triad International Airport to become Central North Carolina International Airport.

I know NC is a long state and GSO is near the middle although in the northern part of it. I just don’t think of GSO as central NC.

At least they didn’t call it Charlotte, Raleigh, Greensboro International Airport.

Such a stupid name change move.

Noise

Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:15 pm

flyjoe wrote:

Charlotte, Raleigh, Durham, Greensboro & Winston-Salem International Airport would almost be better.

richierich

Doesn't pretty much everybody in the region, and in aviation, call it the Triad? Or at least GSO?
Either way, I don't like it much because "Central North" sounds stupid.

Then again, the area north of Myrtle Beach is called "north east South Carolina" and just above the state line is "south east North Carolina". Yup, they love their compass directions in the Carolinas...
None shall pass!!!!

atcsundevil

flyPIT wrote:
That's almost as bad as North Central West Virginia Regional Airport (CKB).

There's also an Eastern West Virginia Regional Airport (MRB). It gets more than a little confusing when they use conflicting directions like that, and does very little to tell people where the airport actually is!

I understand why the name Piedmont Triad might confuse people not from the area, but I don't know why they couldn't just go with using Greensboro in the name instead. Calling it Central NC still doesn't help people unfamiliar with the region.

atcsundevil

Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:17 pm

richierich wrote:
Doesn't pretty much everybody in the region, and in aviation, call it the Triad? Or at least GSO?
Either way, I don't like it much because "Central North" sounds stupid.

Then again, the area north of Myrtle Beach is called "north east South Carolina" and just above the state line is "south east North Carolina". Yup, they love their compass directions in the Carolinas...

We always call it Greensboro in ATC. I've never once heard it called Piedmont Triad, Triad, or anything else along those lines. Certainly no one will be calling it "Central North Carolina Airport"!

Noise

Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:20 pm

They should just call it Greensboro-Winston Salem International Airport.

AVLAirlineFreq

Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:53 pm

There are still many people who confuse the Triad with the Triangle (the Research Triangle region of Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill) east of GSO. Although the Triad is a well-known term and region in the state of North Carolina, it's not nearly as widely recognized outside the state.

OzarkD9S

Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:08 am

Noise wrote:

What about High Point? I remember the OLD Piedmont timetables trying to squeeze in all the city names on the route maps.

http://www.departedflights.com/PI061477.html
Next up: STL DEN PSP DEN STL

Oilman

Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:50 am

I think they should call themselves Raleigh-West so they can attract ULCC’s.

Cubsrule

Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:02 am

OzarkD9S wrote:
Noise wrote:

What about High Point? I remember the OLD Piedmont timetables trying to squeeze in all the city names on the route maps.

Piedmont flew to INT too so didn’t have much choice.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

atcsundevil

Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:09 am

Oilman wrote:
I think they should call themselves Raleigh-West so they can attract ULCC’s.

That would get REALLY confusing, because Raleigh Approach "Raleigh West" sector shares a boundary with Greensboro Approach.

Italianflyer

Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:51 am

Or call it 'Marketing Had Too Much Money Left Over to Justify A Budget Increase Next Year' Intergalactic Jet Plex

vatveng

Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:01 am

Just call it "North Charlotte International". Greensboro already thinks it's Charlotte anyway.

mtnwest1979

Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:14 am

I always liked seeing the sched flights INT-GSO in the early 80s PI tts.
As for this name change, absolutely inane IMO. From a decent name to a moronic IMO switch.
Sadly, I bet they think this will make a difference in service or passenger levels lol.
Riddle: Which lasts longer, a start-up airline or a start-up football league?

MSPNWA

Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:21 am

The new name is much too vague and makes it sound much smaller than it really is. Just call it Greenboro-Winston Salem or something that people can identify with. I don't see how "Central North Carolina" is any less confusing. I'd say it's more confusing.

I'll miss Piedmont Triad though. Distinctive name.

WPvsMW

Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:16 am

Keep the name, but change the airport code to BBQ.
It's available.

Hickory smoked, or honey mustard... them's fightin' words.

flyjoe
Topic Author

Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:31 am

You can weigh in on a poll with the local community.

https://www.bizjournals.com/triad/pulse ... s-new-name

mikejepp

Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:16 pm

Any growth potential for GSO? Seems like its been on the decline for years.... big terminal, lots of gates, not a whole lot going on these days.

uncgso

Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:25 pm

While I think the name of the airport may have needed a change, I do not think that Central NC Int'l was the right choice. Most of the local comments I have seen from the public are not good either. I would have liked something simpler like Triad Metropolitan, but i digress. With this airport authority, it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks, especially the local area the airport serves. And while there are lots of things going on that are good at GSO (HAECO expansion, HondaJet, Cessna/Citation, etc.) none of these things are really tangible to the flying public of this region, which incessantly suffers from RDU/CLT envy. The last new routes to be added here were the AA flights to ORD last July and before that it must have been five years prior when Frontier came to town. Maybe some of the money that it is going to take change all the road signs, stationary, etc. could have been used to "bribe" WN, B6, or NK to come to town as I think that this region is capable of supporting any one of those carriers.

nikeherc

Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:50 pm

Yes, Piedmont did fly to Smith-Reynolds (INT) at Winston-Salem. In fact it was their headquarters and major maintenance base for many years. GSO used to have short runways and a crappy terminal, well after other southern cities improved their airports. High Point was famous for the furniture market, Winston-Salem had R J Reynolds and Schlitz and Greensboro had the Zebra Lounge and the Greater Greensboro Open. I flew in and out of both airports and loved living in the Golden Triangle as it was also known.
DC6 to 777 and most things in between

Noise

Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:23 pm

Just make it Greensboro-Winston Salem International Airport. Decent sized metro area which warrants its 'principal cities' in its name.

richierich

Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:28 pm

Noise wrote:
Just make it Greensboro-Winston Salem International Airport. Decent sized metro area which warrants its 'principal cities' in its name.

No love for High Point?

I think they missed the opportunity for North Central North Carolina Raleigh-West International Airport. NCNCRWIA rolls off the tongue.
None shall pass!!!!

ctrabs0114

Sat Dec 23, 2017 5:01 am

OzarkD9S wrote:
Noise wrote:

My favorite one from that list: "Newport News-Hampton-Williamsburg-Yorktown" - I'm surprised they didn't figure out a way to add Portsmouth to that name.
2019: DAL, MCI, PHX, LAS, DFW, SAT, ORD, SLC, SEA, DTW, PHL, MIA, LAX; B73G (WN x3), B738 (WN, AA, DL), A20N (NK), MD83 (AA), B788 (AA x2), CS1 (DL), B739 (DL), B712 (DL), B752 (AA), B763 (AA), B77W (AA), B789 (AA)
Next: TBA

atcsundevil

Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:33 am

ctrabs0114 wrote:
My favorite one from that list: "Newport News-Hampton-Williamsburg-Yorktown" - I'm surprised they didn't figure out a way to add Portsmouth to that name.

I'm pretty sure it's just Newport News/Williamsburg International Airport (I don't recall them ever trying to shoehorn Hampton Roads or Yorktown into the name), but it does get a little more confusing, because it's still referred to by a lot of people as Patrick Henry Field. Maybe it was that short-lived, ill-conceived PeopleExpress trainwreck that tried marketing the airport with so many names, but I don't think the airport has ever done that.

OzarkD9S

Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:54 pm

atcsundevil wrote:
ctrabs0114 wrote:

I'm pretty sure it's just Newport News/Williamsburg International Airport (I don't recall them ever trying to shoehorn Hampton Roads or Yorktown into the name), but it does get a little more confusing, because it's still referred to by a lot of people as Patrick Henry Field. Maybe it was that short-lived, ill-conceived PeopleExpress trainwreck that tried marketing the airport with so many names, but I don't think the airport has ever done that.

Maybe Piedmont never did but National squeezed Hampton on there:

http://www.departedflights.com/NA070174.html
Next up: STL DEN PSP DEN STL

atcsundevil

Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:24 pm

OzarkD9S wrote:
atcsundevil wrote:
ctrabs0114 wrote:

I'm not referring to the way airlines refer to airports, because they often take some liberties, I'm referring to the way an airport brands itself, which is more relevant since that's how the public truly sees the airport. Most of the airlines call PHX "Phoenix/Scottdale", despite the fact that the airport has never branded it as having any connection or affiliation with Scottsdale. To my knowledge, PHF has only ever had Newport News, and more recently Williamsburg, as part of its official name.

In any event, airports should be required to provide a little truth in advertising when it comes to their name. "Central North Carolina" doesn't do much to describe the actual location of the airport. I realize High Point and Winston-Salem and the rest of the region might get a little bit gyped if it were just called "Greensboro", but at least that's where it is, and that's the major market it's serving.

LovePrunesAnet

Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:54 am

"international"
snicker

LovePrunesAnet

Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:55 am

OzarkD9S wrote:
atcsundevil wrote:
ctrabs0114 wrote:

pretty certain that National never flew into PHF (with all the long local names added to the airport name). National used ORF, Norfolk.

SkyVoice

Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:59 am

They don't have this same problem in the Dakotas, do they? Just askin' . . .
"Tough times never last. Tough people do." - Dr. Robert H. Schuller

LovePrunesAnet

Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:59 am

OzarkD9S wrote:
Noise wrote:

love that map. With all the connections and flights at the time, look at how small CLT was. Biggest connecting cities-most nonstop routes, look to have been Tri Cities and Roanoke, from the map. Fun to look back at the SE history of PI. The stupid name change will do nothing for GSO. They're lucky to keep their Admirals Club if you ask me.

Janj

Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:16 am

It sounds like a way to try to rebrand as "Raleigh/Charlotte International Airport" without actually doing so. Maybe it's part of an attempt by the PTAA to attract Spirit -- branding GSO like a Ryanair city in Europe?

I hope they keep the old "Piedmont Triad International Airport" signs safe so they can re-rebrand sometime in the future.

AVLAirlineFreq

Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:25 am

LovePrunesAnet wrote:
"international"
snicker

Might be hard to believe, but GSO actually had Air Canada service to YYZ around the turn of this century.

LovePrunesAnet

Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:10 am

AVLAirlineFreq wrote:
LovePrunesAnet wrote:
"international"
snicker

Might be hard to believe, but GSO actually had Air Canada service to YYZ around the turn of this century.

...and CLE, CVG, MEM and RDU had hubs around the turn of the century. The US had a bunch more large airlines around the turn of the century.
a LOT has changed in the airline business in 18 years.

Great...GSO has customs/immigration capabilities. They won't be needing them anytime soon for scheduled commercial airline service, "international" name or not. It just sounds so pretentious and over the top. But I'll just leave GSO naming their airport so stupidly with the southern passive/aggressive expression: "Well bless their heart."

AVLAirlineFreq

Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:20 pm

LovePrunesAnet wrote:
AVLAirlineFreq wrote:

...and CLE, CVG, MEM and RDU had hubs around the turn of the century. The US had a bunch more large airlines around the turn of the century.
a LOT has changed in the airline business in 18 years.

Great...GSO has customs/immigration capabilities. They won't be needing them anytime soon for scheduled commercial airline service, "international" name or not. It just sounds so pretentious and over the top. But I'll just leave GSO naming their airport so stupidly with the southern passive/aggressive expression: "Well bless their heart."

Yeah, I kinda already knew that.

No airport with the title of "international" is ever going to give it up.

uncgso

Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:55 pm

FWIW there is a petition going around that seeks to stop the name change. Not that I think it will do any good...

http://www.wfmynews2.com/news/local/pet ... /502501276

atcsundevil

Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:23 pm

LovePrunesAnet wrote:

"International" just means they have FIS capability with 24 hours notice. It doesn't mean they're trying to pretend they've got commercial international flights just to be pretentious, but it's relevant for charter/non-commercial operators. RIC doesn't currently have any scheduled international ops, so should they just drop the name? Of course not. I frequently work international inbounds into RIC — biz jets, Medevacs, charters. Airports market themselves to more than just airlines and passengers, they market to corporate operators for their FBOs, too.

cledaybuck

Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:09 pm

atcsundevil wrote:
OzarkD9S wrote:
atcsundevil wrote:

I'm not referring to the way airlines refer to airports, because they often take some liberties, I'm referring to the way an airport brands itself, which is more relevant since that's how the public truly sees the airport. Most of the airlines call PHX "Phoenix/Scottdale", despite the fact that the airport has never branded it as having any connection or affiliation with Scottsdale. To my knowledge, PHF has only ever had Newport News, and more recently Williamsburg, as part of its official name.

In any event, airports should be required to provide a little truth in advertising when it comes to their name. "Central North Carolina" doesn't do much to describe the actual location of the airport. I realize High Point and Winston-Salem and the rest of the region might get a little bit gyped if it were just called "Greensboro", but at least that's where it is, and that's the major market it's serving.
I agree the name is a little clunky, but is it really any different than RSW?
As we celebrate mediocrity, all the boys upstairs want to see, how much you'll pay for what you used to get for free.

KUZAWU08

Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:01 am

A lot of locals refer to GSO and even try to arrange travel by the non existent identifier alias... "PTI." (short for Piedmont Triad International) What's funny to me is that the actual identifier will stay "GSO" and that probably will never change. Actually, that poses an interesting question... how often do ICAO or FAA identifiers change? On a different note, there is some interesting history in the area regarding GSO's location and the communities it serves... just to the west INT has supported commercial passenger service (still does support commercial A/C for MX) INT is in very close proximity to GSO. Piedmont Airlines had a lot of activity at INT and in GSO so the Speedbird is still highly regarded in the area! My understanding is there was some debate in the area in the early days of both airports for which would one would provide the dominant infrastructure for commercial service in the region. Currently, the idea is that GSO is in a central location for all of the region's communities. I can definitely vouch for the airport's convenience!

uncgso

Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:33 pm

It now looks as if the name change is on hold due to public backlash and the airport authority is seeking public input. Seems to me this should have been done before any kind of name change announcement...

http://www.journalnow.com/news/state_re ... dd626.html

afcjets

Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:32 pm

ctrabs0114 wrote:
OzarkD9S wrote:
Noise wrote:

The only reason I have heard of Portsmouth is from Piedmont timetables from the 1980s when they only flew into ORF. Here it is...

http://www.departedflights.com/PI091583p58.html

gsoflyer

Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:53 pm

The problem with this is that Greensboro and High Point (Guilford County) fronted most of the money for the airport for years because Winston-Salem piped their money into INT.

Technically the name is Greensboro/High Point with High Point still funding more.