Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

744SPX

Re: Updated: Boeing Terminates Agreement to Establish Joint Ventures with Embraer

Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:29 am

Hopefully Embraer's next-gen turboprop will still see the light of day without Boeing financial assistance.

LockheedBBD

Re: Updated: Boeing Terminates Agreement to Establish Joint Ventures with Embraer

Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:59 am

txkf2010 wrote:
Maybe Lockheed will get back into the commercial arena!

One can dream. :cloudnine:

JayinKitsap

Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:04 am

The EU not approving the deal, with repeated delays of 3-4 months at a time, was not helping. The deal that was voted upon was made in Jan 19, things started shifting for Boeing. At the same time Embraer's did not pick up many orders.

Boeing probably owes the $100M breakup fee, but it will be difficult to get more from Boeing. Covid very much is a force majour issue, this deal went from excellent to out of the question over the last 18 months. Boeing has to spend this 4B on more important things.

scbriml

Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:32 am

JayinKitsap wrote:
The EU not approving the deal, with repeated delays of 3-4 months at a time, was not helping.

Looks like it saved Boeing's bacon!

If it was the only issue, Embraer and Boeing could have simply extended the deadline.

FlyingBlueKLM

Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:51 am

I’m really glad that the JV isn’t happening :)

WaywardMemphian

Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:54 am

Boeing couldmgave had the C Series.for pocket change and knowing them would have still killed it off to protect the Max.

Noshow

Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:11 am

Embraer should cooperate with Mitsubishi.

Not sure what this decision means for Boeing's commercial product development future? Embraer was supposed to provide cheaper engineering for what is to come after the MAX one day. Boeing needs some clear strategy now. Otherwise they risk their commercial airplanes business it seems. Hopefully not the same mistakes are happening again that put MDD out of this business like not investing enough in the future and product strategy.
In times of crisis market shares are redistributed.

astuteman

Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:18 am

scbriml wrote:
JayinKitsap wrote:
The EU not approving the deal, with repeated delays of 3-4 months at a time, was not helping.

If it was the only issue, Embraer and Boeing could have simply extended the deadline.

Feels to me like the EU just saved Boeing $4Bn in cash ……

Rgds

scbriml

Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:27 am

astuteman wrote:
scbriml wrote:
JayinKitsap wrote:

Rgds

:)

I think Boeing would have pulled the plug even if the EU had approved before the deadline.

leghorn

Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:31 am

They can't afford the purchase price and the planes Embraer would have sold will be competing with pre-owned planes that are now cheaper to buy and cheaper to run.

flee

Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:00 pm

scbriml wrote:
astuteman wrote:
scbriml wrote:

Rgds

I think Boeing would have pulled the plug even if the EU had approved before the deadline.

Boeing has too much on its plate now and management talent may be spread out a bit too thinly!

PW100

Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:04 pm

scbriml wrote:
astuteman wrote:
scbriml wrote:

Rgds

As it is, it appears that it will cost Boeing $100M to save that $4Bn in cash . . . .

sxf24

Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:29 pm

PW100 wrote:
scbriml wrote:
astuteman wrote:

Rgds

As it is, it appears that it will cost Boeing $100M to save that $4Bn in cash . . . .

I expect a major issue is that Boeing wanted to pay less than $4B and Embraer was unwilling to renegotiate the price!

glideslope

Re: Boeing has held takeover talks with Embraer: WSJ

Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:34 pm

SheikhDjibouti wrote:
wjcandee wrote:
I have to wonder whether the EMB move would be to give Boeing a competitive product, in order to support the tariffs. If they race to get the deal done before early January, we will know the answer.

Er, no.
Unless you want to consider a world where you can be prosecuted tomorrow, for a speed limit only brought in today, for a driving "offence" you committed last week.

Ex post facto laws are expressly forbidden by the United States Constitution.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ex_post_facto_law

I highly doubt given recent history there is much chance of Article 1 sections 9 & 10 being enforced in the US. SCOTUS would simply change the intension.

dtw2hyd

Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:48 pm

planecane wrote:
dtw2hyd wrote:
Current economic conditions aside, strategically it is a myopic move. Boeing needs to break away from 737 shackles. E2 was their jail free card and as always they blew it.

The E2 is smaller and less capable than the 737MAX. This JV wasn't going to help with the MAX situation. It probably would have been used for at least the smaller size end of the 737 replacement but that wasn't happening for several more years anyway.

The C-series would possibly have helped Boeing with the MAX situation but not the E2.

It is not about the size, it is about the technology. If Airbus thinks A320 family architecture is too old, it can switch to A220 architecture. Boeing forfeited that option.

sandyb123

Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:28 pm

MSPNWA wrote:
We'll see what the lawyers say, but now is not the time to spend billions on a company worth a fraction of that. Boeing is very fortunate that coronavirus hit before the deal was completed. Airbus wasn't so fortunate with their CSeries anchor. Coronavirus will reward the manufacturer that can shrink the fastest. Boeing is in that position if the law is in their favor.

Hopefully Embraer survives on their own and can revisit this if the bridges aren't too badly burned. I don't have a high hopes though, not with the E2 being too large for U.S. scope clauses and too small for competitiveness in a mainline usage. I don't blame them for fighting tooth and nail to keep the deal. They may not live without it.

The BBD & Airbus deal is a winner for both parties. I’m not going to make this an A vs B rant but the A220 sells well and in fact the biggest customer (Air Baltic) has just sped up their deliveries to offload older more expensive 737s.

It’s also clean sheet and efficient aircraft so it has longevity in the market. The E2 was an upgrade of old tech, something Boeing now knows the pitfalls of.

Hopefully Embraer pulls through, I like riding the E190 family with 2+2 seating and windows that you don’t need to crane your neck to look out of!

Sandyb123

Lewton

Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:35 pm

txkf2010 wrote:
Maybe Lockheed will get back into the commercial arena!

This is not a serious possibility, but would be an awesome development.

lightsaber

Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:41 pm

dtw2hyd wrote:
planecane wrote:
dtw2hyd wrote:
Current economic conditions aside, strategically it is a myopic move. Boeing needs to break away from 737 shackles. E2 was their jail free card and as always they blew it.

The E2 is smaller and less capable than the 737MAX. This JV wasn't going to help with the MAX situation. It probably would have been used for at least the smaller size end of the 737 replacement but that wasn't happening for several more years anyway.

The C-series would possibly have helped Boeing with the MAX situation but not the E2.

It is not about the size, it is about the technology. If Airbus thinks A320 family architecture is too old, it can switch to A220 architecture. Boeing forfeited that option.

I'm confused. Boeing has the NMA technology evolved off the 787. By this I mean:
Predictive maintenance
Folding wingtips
New avionics architecture
CFRP wings/wingbox
Electric subsystems

For the NSA, the volume will be so high everything will be custom.

Lightsaber

dtw2hyd

Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:10 pm

lightsaber wrote:
dtw2hyd wrote:
planecane wrote:

I'm confused. Boeing has the NMA technology evolved off the 787. By this I mean:
Predictive maintenance
Folding wingtips
CFRP wings/wingbox
Electric subsystems

Lightsaber

Both are still on paper. Boeing never seems to be interested in scaling up(to 777x) or scaling down(to NMA/NSA) 787 architecture.

MCAS raises doubts whether Boeing has experienced engineering staff to write specs, or mostly fresh grads leading large teams on innovation. Not unique to aviation, pre-COVID19, every Ross School of Business grad claims he/she got a 6-figure job to lead 200 member team.

With MAX fiasco, having different certification authority is not a bad thing, rather than counting on exclusive-FAA certificates.

frmrCapCadet

Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:51 pm

I don't think Boeing had any choice about this. They don't have any money (mostly). On the other hand I was expecting the two to announce some sort of continuation of negotiations and some support from Boeing on ensuring the commercial line for Es could compete.

planecane

Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:49 pm

dtw2hyd wrote:
lightsaber wrote:
dtw2hyd wrote:

Predictive maintenance
Folding wingtips
CFRP wings/wingbox
Electric subsystems

Lightsaber

Both are still on paper. Boeing never seems to be interested in scaling up(to 777x) or scaling down(to NMA/NSA) 787 architecture.

MCAS raises doubts whether Boeing has experienced engineering staff to write specs, or mostly fresh grads leading large teams on innovation. Not unique to aviation, pre-COVID19, every Ross School of Business grad claims he/she got a 6-figure job to lead 200 member team.

With MAX fiasco, having different certification authority is not a bad thing, rather than counting on exclusive-FAA certificates.

This doesn't make very much sense. They did use some 787 tech on the 777x. They were going to use it on the NMA and they will use it on whatever their next clean sheet is, no matter what it is. They weren't going to base the next clean sheet off of the E2. If they wanted to kill the max and launch the NSA tomorrow, it will be based off of the 787 architecture.

MCAS wasn't innovation. It was hacking a solution into an architecture that wasn't designed for that type of system.

LCDFlight

Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:50 pm

An an aviation fan, ex member of the industry, fan of the 777, 747, 727, 767, 787: I urge Boeing to dissolve and remove the stained, tainted name of Boeing from the world. Boeing’s corporate entity disgusts me. The 737 “keep it flying anyway” affair was just one of several unforgivable crimes the company has committed. It is time to end this. Great news for Embraer.

strfyr51

Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:59 pm

kaneporta1 wrote:
GEUltraFan9XGTF wrote:
If the word from DL is to be believed, it is also dog when it comes to maintenance. I don't think they are celebrating in Toulouse; that is just fanboi fantasy talk.

What Boeing has done is piss off both its north and south American neighbors. It has pissed off everyone. This could also be yet another step on its slide into oblivion.

Considering that Delta's entire A220 fleet is currently flying, that is a pretty good indication of what the company thinks of this aircraft.

And honestly, Toulouse must be celebrating right now. Their primary A220 competitors are a company without a certified aircraft (Boeing) or a company whose viability will surely be questioned by potential future customers (Embraer). Actually Embraer is now where Bombardier was 3-4 years ago. Good products, but too risky for potential customers.

Because Delta bought the A220 does not make it a success. What Delta does ? Does not necessarily make it gospel for the other US Airlines. . It will give the Model SOME credibility however. How Much? it remains to be seen,

morrisond

Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:04 pm

I think Boeing might have looked at it and as they may have decided to do a relatively light 6W SA to replace the MAX - no need to invest in EMB to build a 5W C series competitor.

When NMA/NSA was more likely 7W they needed that light 5W option to compete at smaller capacities on shorter routes. One tube to cover everything.

That and they didn't have the money and with the radical downsizing they look like they are going to do - no bandwidth/manpower to look after the JV.

strfyr51

Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:10 pm

LCDFlight wrote:
An an aviation fan, ex member of the industry, fan of the 777, 747, 727, 767, 787: I urge Boeing to dissolve and remove the stained, tainted name of Boeing from the world. Boeing’s corporate entity disgusts me. The 737 “keep it flying anyway” affair was just one of several unforgivable crimes the company has committed. It is time to end this. Great news for Embraer.

Boeing is getting as good as they gave with the 737Max. They let Arrogance override their business sense, they also Half Ass engineered the 737 Max upgrade putting a stain on the proud legacy of the 737 model line Their saving grace? They can do better. Maybe? They need to go back and take another look at the DC-9 MD-80 series engineering with today's systems and materials in mind. There ARE engines available that make sense for today's market that would give Boeing a good basis for a new model and they wouldn't need Embraer at all. Unless?? They just Want to outsource their airplanes in the future.

dtw2hyd

Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:24 pm

planecane wrote:
This doesn't make very much sense. They did use some 787 tech on the 777x. They were going to use it on the NMA and they will use it on whatever their next clean sheet is, no matter what it is. They weren't going to base the next clean sheet off of the E2. If they wanted to kill the max and launch the NSA tomorrow, it will be based off of the 787 architecture.

MCAS wasn't innovation. It was hacking a solution into an architecture that wasn't designed for that type of system.

That is like saying every twin engine planes share common architecture of two engines and most of the aviation hardware/software is made by a handful of suppliers.

n $Billions later no one sure about 777X's future.
n $Billions later no one know what MAX brings to the table
No one knows how many $Billions in MAX settlements.
No one knows how many $Billions needed to mitigate COVID-19 risks

A management with a clear vision would have been in a better position, rather than justifying bad decisions after the fact on internet.

Bambel

Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:52 pm

Given the numbers on one hand and Covid on the other, i think it makes sense to stop the merger. The way Boeing did so seems just representative of their way of doing business for many years now.

planecane wrote:

Imagine Boeing would have bought the C-series, tried really to sell it like Airbus does and based the 737 successor on the same general design and scale it where needed. Even if it would only be slightly better than the NEO, it would have been a nice family of families ;)

B.

WayexTDI

Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:40 pm

F9Animal wrote:
LockheedBBD wrote:
The question is, would Embraer be interested in a partnership with COMAC? I'm sure China is salivating at the opportunity as they were with the CSeries (before it was ultimately sold to Airbus).

What about Airbus? I find it difficult to think this could mean the end of Embraer. They have a solid product, and I just can't see them just bowing out. Yep, times are tough, but Embraer stands a solid chance of surviving this storm IMO.

Now if things are grim at Embraer, Airbus could easily swoop in and own the Regional market perhaps? As for Boeing? I don't feel the least bit sorry for them. What they did to the C-Series was absolutely disgusting. Boy did that come back to bite them. Karma is a mofo!

I doubt the EU or the US would allow that. It'd give Airbus pretty much the whole regional market (A220 + whatever-new-name-they'd-give-to-the-E2) with no viable competition (I have very little faith in the SpaceJet)

WayexTDI

Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:51 pm

9Patch wrote:
WayexTDI wrote:
I never understood that JV proposal, except as a "me too" knee-jerk reaction after the Airbus/BBD deal.
It the Boeing/Embraer deal was so solid in the first place, it would have happened already or been extended; maybe another blessing in disguise for Boeing.

When the JV was announced in 2019, the advantages for Boeing were:

Access to EMB engineers at a time when Boeing’s are aging and ready to retire.
Access to much lower cost base in Brazil.
KC-390 program.
Revenue from EMB Commercial services.
E2 program, though this is tangential.

The advantages for Embraer were:

Access to Boeing’s vast customer base, marketing power, balance sheet (again, pre-virus) and capital markets.
Access to work on new airplane programs: NMA (at the time), Future Small Airplanes (single aisle, either to compete with A220 or larger).
Work for its engineers.
A future beyond the struggling E2 and beyond the fanciful turboprop concept.
A future for Embraer Commercial Airplanes, which in LNA’s view was increasingly risky.

https://leehamnews.com/2020/04/25/analy ... t-venture/

Those are the "official" reasons. Reality is:
- Access to EMB engineers at a time when Boeing’s are aging and ready to retire: there's plenty of very good engineers available in the US, as well as other places where Boeing is already present (like Canada or Europe);
- Access to much lower cost base in Brazil: it remains to be seen the cost base is much lower in Brazil. Recent studies in cost comparison I had to do for an aerospace OEM put Brazil very close to Europe and the US, but much more difficult to work with; negating the cost advantage;
- KC-390 program: meh, 2 firm orders (Brazil and Portugal) for a total of 33 frames (28 & 5 respectively). Not a huge success. Also note the historical proximity between the 2 countries, one has to wonder why those 2 but no other countries ordered it;
- Revenue from EMB Commercial services: that might be the only viable and worthy piece of the deal, how much would it really bring though?
- E2 program, though this is tangential: tangential at best.

So, again, I understand the synergies merging 2 companies making similar products; but the only thing similar between between those 2 were that they are in the similar industry.
Not sure it was worth $4B...

JayinKitsap

Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:17 pm

WayexTDI wrote:
9Patch wrote:
WayexTDI wrote:
I never understood that JV proposal, except as a "me too" knee-jerk reaction after the Airbus/BBD deal.
It the Boeing/Embraer deal was so solid in the first place, it would have happened already or been extended; maybe another blessing in disguise for Boeing.

When the JV was announced in 2019, the advantages for Boeing were:

Access to EMB engineers at a time when Boeing’s are aging and ready to retire.
Access to much lower cost base in Brazil.
KC-390 program.
Revenue from EMB Commercial services.
E2 program, though this is tangential.

The advantages for Embraer were:

Access to Boeing’s vast customer base, marketing power, balance sheet (again, pre-virus) and capital markets.
Access to work on new airplane programs: NMA (at the time), Future Small Airplanes (single aisle, either to compete with A220 or larger).
Work for its engineers.
A future beyond the struggling E2 and beyond the fanciful turboprop concept.
A future for Embraer Commercial Airplanes, which in LNA’s view was increasingly risky.

https://leehamnews.com/2020/04/25/analy ... t-venture/

Those are the "official" reasons. Reality is:
- Access to EMB engineers at a time when Boeing’s are aging and ready to retire: there's plenty of very good engineers available in the US, as well as other places where Boeing is already present (like Canada or Europe);
- Access to much lower cost base in Brazil: it remains to be seen the cost base is much lower in Brazil. Recent studies in cost comparison I had to do for an aerospace OEM put Brazil very close to Europe and the US, but much more difficult to work with; negating the cost advantage;
- KC-390 program: meh, 2 firm orders (Brazil and Portugal) for a total of 33 frames (28 & 5 respectively). Not a huge success. Also note the historical proximity between the 2 countries, one has to wonder why those 2 but no other countries ordered it;
- Revenue from EMB Commercial services: that might be the only viable and worthy piece of the deal, how much would it really bring though?
- E2 program, though this is tangential: tangential at best.

So, again, I understand the synergies merging 2 companies making similar products; but the only thing similar between between those 2 were that they are in the similar industry.
Not sure it was worth $4B...

Back 2 years ago, Boeing was awash in cash, doing stock buy backs to the tune of a Billion per quarter, EMB looked like a good investment. Boeing was a bit jealous at EMB's ability to get models thru certification with little hiccup and far less spent compared to Boeing. Boeing was gearing up to do the NMA / NSA, as well as finishing up the 779, doing the 778 as well. Defense was rolling along finally and Dennis wanted to build unto its fortress.

Boeing had looked several times at BBD and the C series, had for a period an ownership position in DHC, Boeing saw a sea of red ink, too much risk to take up, saw it as competition to the 737 with the CS300 just below the 738 and Airbus at or above the 738. So a higher percent of orders would have cannibalized their other offerings, compared to Airbus getting customers for the CS series they would not have gotten.

embraer175e2

Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:17 pm

744SPX wrote:
Hopefully Embraer's next-gen turboprop will still see the light of day without Boeing financial assistance.

Are they going to make turboprops now?

Jungleneer

Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:38 pm

I think that with all this the TP idea is dead.

strfyr51

Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:01 pm

EMBSPBR wrote:
426Shadow wrote:
As far as I am concerned, the only good thing to come out of this is pretty much killing off any possibility of the KC-390 invading C-130J territory. Job security is king.

Which jobs ? Yours ?

He didn't need to even worry about that. the C-130 is a workhorse. A go anywhere, Do anything airplane. The KC-390?
Would have to "grow up" to become what the C130 is already .

bkmbr

Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:15 pm

744SPX wrote:

According to some Brazilian media sources, COMAC also seems interested in Embraer as well so I don't think that Boeing's financial assistance will be so relevant. Since the ARJ21 flopped, money was never really a problem to COMAC and Embraer is at bargain price of USD 1.4 billion (compared to the almost 3.7 billion that they were worth before the deal) would be a great deal to COMAC to acquire the company that complements his C-919 and C-929 lines and also receive as a gift a big number of potential clients already operating the Embraer jets as their customers. A supercharged Embraer with Chinese money could be what COMAC needs to establish itself in western markets IMHO, and on the side Embraer would be able to hit back on Boeing in the face in the American market with the virtually unlimited Chinese money helping to establish COMAC's airplanes in the USA just as the Airbus A300 deals with Eastern, Pan Am and American Airlines.

kaneporta1

Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:42 am

strfyr51 wrote:
Because Delta bought the A220 does not make it a success. What Delta does ? Does not necessarily make it gospel for the other US Airlines. . It will give the Model SOME credibility however. How Much? it remains to be seen,

Actually, Delta buying almost 100 of them does make it a success. But my comment had nothing to do with this. I was mentioning that the entire Delta A220 fleet is NOT currently grounded. And this says a lot about the economics of this aircraft and whether it's a "maintenance dog" as was claimed.

LCDFlight

Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:43 am

strfyr51 wrote:
LCDFlight wrote:

Boeing is getting as good as they gave with the 737Max. They let Arrogance override their business sense, they also Half Ass engineered the 737 Max upgrade putting a stain on the proud legacy of the 737 model line Their saving grace? They can do better. Maybe? They need to go back and take another look at the DC-9 MD-80 series engineering with today's systems and materials in mind. There ARE engines available that make sense for today's market that would give Boeing a good basis for a new model and they wouldn't need Embraer at all. Unless?? They just Want to outsource their airplanes in the future.

You know what, that’s not even that crazy an idea! A NEO 5Y DC-9 style airplane would compete well. It could probably beat the 737-Max8. Plus it would scale smaller more successfully. It could not replace the Max9 or 10. Realistically, there is nothing left from heritage DC-9 tooling. Probably. But it’s just about as modern as 737, and is superior in some ways. Not all

LCDFlight

Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:46 am

bkmbr wrote:
744SPX wrote:

According to some Brazilian media sources, COMAC also seems interested in Embraer as well so I don't think that Boeing's financial assistance will be so relevant. Since the ARJ21 flopped, money was never really a problem to COMAC and Embraer is at bargain price of USD 1.4 billion (compared to the almost 3.7 billion that they were worth before the deal) would be a great deal to COMAC to acquire the company that complements his C-919 and C-929 lines and also receive as a gift a big number of potential clients already operating the Embraer jets as their customers. A supercharged Embraer with Chinese money could be what COMAC needs to establish itself in western markets IMHO, and on the side Embraer would be able to hit back on Boeing in the face in the American market with the virtually unlimited Chinese money helping to establish COMAC's airplanes in the USA just as the Airbus A300 deals with Eastern, Pan Am and American Airlines.

Wow. Stunning ideas here. Bombardier’s expertise is presumably part of Airbus now, preserving that duopoly. But Embraer is also an accepted airliner maker at Western standards. China can buy it without a doubt.

FiscAutTecGarte

Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:32 am

EMBSPBR wrote:
Airlines with purchase intentions awaiting completion of the JV to obtain better purchase conditions ...

c'mon, even you don't believe that.......

Waterbomber2

Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:33 am

LCDFlight wrote:
bkmbr wrote:
744SPX wrote:

Wow. Stunning ideas here. Bombardier’s expertise is presumably part of Airbus now, preserving that duopoly. But Embraer is also an accepted airliner maker at Western standards. China can buy it without a doubt.

Trump would block export licenses on any type of U.S. content: engines, avionics, just as he did for the C919.

MrBren

Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:49 am

With the 737 MAX disaster, 787 problems, 77X orders cancellation, all related Covid 19 consequences and now the end of the Embraer deal, will Boeing survive?

Noshow

Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:56 am

Yes they will.
But both big manufacturers will seriously restructure. I see final assembly lines cutting their rates or closing and maybe even entire programs getting terminated now unfortunately. But it will be the same for other industries. Look at car manufacturing. The worst will happen to the suppliers that were set for growth and now have the investment but not the income.

Antaras

Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:06 am

MrBren wrote:
With the 737 MAX disaster, 787 problems, 77X orders cancellation, all related Covid 19 consequences and now the end of the Embraer deal, will Boeing survive?

Yes Of course, Boeing can survive.

strfyr51

Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:16 am

bkmbr wrote:
744SPX wrote:

Now that really says a LOT! Comac couldn't Buy Sell or Steal the needed technology to get their indigenous airplanes off the ground just as they use copies of Russian fighters and ships for their military. So? they'd sure as hell want Embraer to come along side them to even Certify an airplane for western markets. Especially since they can't do it themselves. The good thing? They have plenty of disposable cash to put on the project though I doubt they could manage the after Sale work and continuing support needed to even make a product viable for the US market. , Or many Western markets for that matter.

Noshow

Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:33 am

Not so sure how much money China still has available to spend elsewhere?
Would they want to buy it? Sure. Can they afford it now? Not sure.

scbriml

Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:53 am

Waterbomber2 wrote:
Trump would block export licenses on any type of U.S. content: engines, avionics, just as he did for the C919.

Trump threatened to block US exports for the C919, but didn't.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1441205

jfk777

Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:28 pm

EMBSPBR wrote:
jfk777 wrote:
Embraer would be better off making a deal to let Boeing market their planes than battle them and sue them. Embraer can't be blind the facts of Boeing's problems, even with they can taste the $ 4 billion dollars not coming anymore. A deal of short of merging would be in everyone's interest.

Boeing terminated the deal.
Not Embraer !!!

So Boeing terminated the deal, with their $$$ tided up in hundreds of undelivered MAX jets parked all over the American West where are they going to get Embraer's money. The Brazilian side was never going to terminate this deal, what did they have to lose ? Embraer can't be blind to the economic situation in the world.

par13del

Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:39 pm

astuteman wrote:
scbriml wrote:
JayinKitsap wrote:

Rgds

...or preserved the status quo of only Airbus covering the entire commercial sector from wide body to RJ, Boeing now has nothing to offer below the 737-MAX7 while the new darling the A220 goes unchallenged. Now is keeping Boeing on this track worth saving them 4 billion today versus market share and more billions into the future.......
Hopefully someone at Boeing drinks coffee and the smell is strong. The small jet market is up for a major restructure and Boeing and Embraer just went multiple steps backward.

bkmbr

Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:08 pm

scbriml wrote:
Waterbomber2 wrote:

Trump threatened to block US exports for the C919, but didn't.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1441205

If Trump did that I'm sure that Boeing, GE and many other companies could kiss goodbye the entire Chinese market for good, not a good prospect at this point in time.
I don't believe that Trump would be this destructive with his own industries. Boeing's fate as a civil aircraft manufacturer is directly linked with China and Boeing and the American government knows that really well.

yyztpa2

Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:09 pm

GEUltraFan9XGTF wrote:
If the word from DL is to be believed, it is also dog when it comes to maintenance.

Can you elaborate?

SA280

Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:37 pm

People are already trying to sell Embraer again. Now to the Chinese... It's not the correct time to sell those assets. And even though the COVID crisis, liquidity is not the problem within the next two years, already considering adjusted delivery schedules and without any announcement of additional long term loan by the Brazilian government.

I do believe that they not necessarily will turn into the next Bombardier or Fokker and certainly can survive on its own and wait for the correct timing for an eventual opportunistic deal in the future.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos