Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

lightsaber

Re: Updated: Boeing Terminates Agreement to Establish Joint Ventures with Embraer

Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:30 am

TonyClifton wrote:
bkmbr wrote:
Maybe Embraer will be able to do something along the lines of the 175E1-SC (which eliminated 3,000 lbs on the 175E1 with minimal changes to the aircraft) on the 175E2 to comply with the scope it may be able to reduce the weight enough to reach these 1500 nm of the M100 as well with a viable aircraft for the market, but I think that Embraer will only focus on that after the 175E2 certification that is still ongoing and is scheduled to be finished next year.
They will probably try to do something that doesn’t need a new certification process, but if that is not possible I have no doubt that you can do something along the lines of what was proposed for the M100 if they really plan to carry out a new certification process if they have a customer willing to sign an order for 100 units like skywest (which did something similar with the M90) and still be able to deliver the certified plane before the M100 makes its first flight.

If you time it for the post-COVID replacement cycle, you’ll sell hundreds of scope compliant jets. The first round of CRJ-900s and ERJ-175s from the ~2007 scope expansion will be up for replacement.

This is the best plan. There are new materials (aluminum) that Embraer could use. I hope that would be sufficient. My back of the envelope math says they have to shrink back to the E1-175 body length on shorten the wings in addition to the material changes, but I would love to be proven wrong.

Lightsaber

ps, in my last post I noticed I forgot this link: https://leehamnews.com/2020/05/12/analy ... -to-covid/
Winter is coming.

Jungleneer

Re: Updated: Boeing Terminates Agreement to Establish Joint Ventures with Embraer

Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:46 am

Maybe the M100 is having a hard time beating the E175-E1 performance. When Embraer redesigned the E175 with the new wing tip and some aerodynamic enhancements, they built a killer aircraft. It is optimized to the limits of the current scope clauses.

VV

Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:11 am

lightsaber wrote:
I agree with the laws of physics being the same. What do you know Leeham doesn't?

I do not know.
I only know the E175-E2 is a mere derivative of the E175 (E1) with new optimized wing.

Basically I am saying that the E2 and SpaceJet get engines that are virtually identical, with very similar seating capacity and both need to have similar range.

Unless someone has an anti-gravitational device I just don't know how M100 can be much lighter than E175-E2.

In my opinion, the real reason of the M100 development pause is because they did not find any solution to make it compliant with the current limitation defined in the scope clause.

VV

Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:14 am

bigb wrote:
lightsaber wrote:
VV wrote:

Mitsubishi won't restart the SpaceJet M100 development unless they know for sure the status of US scope clause.
In addition there is no current generation engine that is light enough to allow the M100 to be inside the current scope clause with a decent range.

It is very likely they already did the preliminary overall aircraft design and concluded that they cannot build an M100 that complies with scope clause as it is defined today.
I think that's the real reason why they mothballed the M100 development.

We know the E1-175 worked well in scope. The 1.4m wingspan reduction should eliminate over a 1,000kg of weight. The shrinking of the body by 1.3m should eliminate a few hundred more kg. The M100 was also to use more optimal aluminum. I think it can be done.

Now, the poor business case to date of the MRJ/Spacejet is a different story. I see a business case delay, not a fundamental reason to stop.

I am with you on M100, I don’t see Mitsubishi not moving forward on the M100. I see them moving forward, after we get past this pandemic.

They are not going to proceed unless the scope clause is relaxed.

bigb

Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:31 am

VV wrote:
bigb wrote:
lightsaber wrote:
We know the E1-175 worked well in scope. The 1.4m wingspan reduction should eliminate over a 1,000kg of weight. The shrinking of the body by 1.3m should eliminate a few hundred more kg. The M100 was also to use more optimal aluminum. I think it can be done.

Now, the poor business case to date of the MRJ/Spacejet is a different story. I see a business case delay, not a fundamental reason to stop.

I am with you on M100, I don’t see Mitsubishi not moving forward on the M100. I see them moving forward, after we get past this pandemic.

We will see about that.

TonyClifton

Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:58 pm

VV wrote:
lightsaber wrote:
I agree with the laws of physics being the same. What do you know Leeham doesn't?

I do not know.
I only know the E175-E2 is a mere derivative of the E175 (E1) with new optimized wing.

Basically I am saying that the E2 and SpaceJet get engines that are virtually identical, with very similar seating capacity and both need to have similar range.

Unless someone has an anti-gravitational device I just don't know how M100 can be much lighter than E175-E2.

In my opinion, the real reason of the M100 development pause is because they did not find any solution to make it compliant with the current limitation defined in the scope clause.

It’s not impossible to think a newer design (MRJ v ERJ) has natural weight advantages. Even the larger M90 is lighter and with a narrower wingspan than the ERJ2. MRJ also features a smaller fuselage size. Cargo being in the back of the jet, rather than underneath the floor like on the ERJ. MRJ to me looks a far leaner and more optimized jet for regional routes, rather than a shrunk -190.

VV

Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:41 pm

bigb wrote:
VV wrote:
bigb wrote:

We will see about that.

Or perhaps we will not see about that.

bkmbr

Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:09 pm

Mitsubishi will only consider restarting the M100 after the M90 is certified and actually goes into operation. They simply don’t have a budget to run both projects at the same time right now, and I'm not even going to go into the question of how long it would take to get it done and at what cost. In my opinion the M100 is a dead project, it will have the same end as the MRJ70.

strfyr51

Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:33 pm

bigb wrote:
lightsaber wrote:
VV wrote:

Mitsubishi won't restart the SpaceJet M100 development unless they know for sure the status of US scope clause.
In addition there is no current generation engine that is light enough to allow the M100 to be inside the current scope clause with a decent range.

It is very likely they already did the preliminary overall aircraft design and concluded that they cannot build an M100 that complies with scope clause as it is defined today.
I think that's the real reason why they mothballed the M100 development.

I'm confused. The M100 is the M90 with a shorter body (less cargo too, in the tail) and the smaller wing to meet scope. I think they mothballed the design as it is obvious the scope market won't be buying for 5 years and Mitsubishi is cash short. If it is as theorized too heavy, that would be bad news. But they didn't cancel immediately. The cancelled during the current economic crisis.

If they need lighter materials in the body, they could. Now, the business case is a different discussion.

I'm in the camp that doesn't see scope changing. That is the design point.

On the CRJ CF-34-8 is 2,780 lb
https://www.flyradius.com/bombardier-cr ... cf34-8c5b1

The pw1200G is 3,800lb:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pratt_%26_Whitney_PW1000G

So each engine adds 1,020 lb to the aircraft, plus increased nacelle weight.

If you cannot meet performance with 1200kg or so of total added weight when over 1200kg less fuel is needed, something is wrong.

Why couldn't Mitsubishi make the criteria? Embraer could. We not talking multiple tons of weight, we are talking 1200 kg.

The M90 has a known empty weight of 26,000kg. The E1-175 is 21,890kg. So we're talking 4,110 kg to reduce.
So reduce wingspan from 29.2m to 27.8m. Hmm... Much less than E2-175 wingspan of 31m. Much closer to the 26m of the E1-175.
The length was reduced from 35.8m to 34.5m for the M100. So, now we start estimating the empty weight reduction.

Lightsaber

I'm confused, the CF34 series Meets the weight they need? And it's reliable? So what does it Lack that they need a heavier engine? is the Range bad for the Airplane's routes? Or? Was Embraer hoping to take over the operating Area that the 737-700 was operating in? And did they forget the A319?. Airbus is not keen on the A319 neo and I understand that. However? Is that where Embraer hoped to plant their flag?

strfyr51

Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:41 pm

battlegroup62 wrote:
TonyClifton wrote:
Back onto the E2... could never figure out why they stretched the 175 to essentially make it an E2-180. The 175 as it is was already a bit portly under scope. Compass had a few dozen that exceeded standard scope weight and flew them via a contractual stipulation. Curious, is there any feasible way to shrink the E2-175 to a 76 seater that also sheds enough fat to remain under 87k? Those GTFs are meaty to say the least.
[/quote]

I heard the reason was because with the extra weight of the new engines they didn't want people to see the aircraft as heavier than the original so they stretched it about 6 feet to hide the weight gain. That reasoning doesn't make sense to me but that is the best explanation I've heard. I've never heard of the 175 being over scope due to weight only the seat count so they made the 175 sc with 70 seats. Tell me about these Compass 175's, I've worked some never heard of them being overweight makes me curious. I don't see why they couldn't shrink the E275 the 175 had plugs removed to make it the 170 so why not do the same. It would be easier now that the E275 is full fly by wire just need to re-tune the flight controls for shorter fuselage and test fly it, probably take about a year like the 175 to 170.I think Embraer is working on cutting weight because from a 2017 data sheet the E275 had an MTOW of about 98767 I believe, but I went to their website the other day and it says MTOW of 91480 now so I would almost guarantee it could be made under scope with a fuselage the length of the original 175. Who knows perhaps if they only put 76 seats in it would be under 89k as is.[/quote]
Or? couldn't they Beer can the outer wing and limit the Max fuel to the E1 capacity? Since it's a Max Gross limit. rather than an Empty weight limit.

battlegroup62

Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:10 pm

VV wrote:

I do not know.

It may look similar to the E175 from the outside but that is where the similarity ends. As you said the wing is new but that is just the beginning.

The landing gear were replaced to be taller due to the larger engines.
The flight control surfaces and empenage have been made smaller due the the upgrade to full fly by wire system with all new actuators
Environmental Control system has been replaced.
The Cockpit displays have been upgraded to large screens.
The cabin interior has been modernized.
We have to keep planes airworthy. That doesn't mean they have to fly.

VV

Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:50 am

battlegroup62 wrote:
VV wrote:

I do not know.

It may look similar to the E175 from the outside but that is where the similarity ends. As you said the wing is new but that is just the beginning.

The landing gear were replaced to be taller due to the larger engines.
The flight control surfaces and empenage have been made smaller due the the upgrade to full fly by wire system with all new actuators
Environmental Control system has been replaced.
The Cockpit displays have been upgraded to large screens.
The cabin interior has been modernized.

It does not change the rationale when comparing it to the proposed M100.

Using the same engine, if Mitsubishi tries to match the payload-range capability of the E175-E2 then the M100 would not comply with the limits defined by the current US scope clause.

Sokes

Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:58 am

lightsaber wrote:
I just see no market before 2025 to 2027. With oil prices low, CR7/CR9/E170/E175 will be maintained. The oldest E175 I could find is still below 30,000 cycles and 45,000 flight hours (but just), so these planes have another 12 to 15 years of service. With the extension of the CR2/7/9 to 80,000 flight cycles and 120,000 flight hours, the market will limp along until demand grows again.

Lightsaber

That's something to think about. I assumed airlines didn't order E175-E2 because of scope.
CRJ 700/ 900 were delivered from 2001 onward. I assume by 2003 they started getting delivered in quantity.
E jets were delivered from 2004 onward. I assume by 2007 they started getting delivered in quantity.
CRJ700/ E175: around 32 m length
CRJ 900/ E190: around 36 m length
E195 E2: 41,5 m length

Is Embraer serious about selling E175-E2 at the moment? If somebody buys fifty and the engines make problems, when will P&W attend to it?
Why would airlines buy now? There is no urgent replacement for some years. Better to wait till certification is done. Moreover as of March 2020, there is a backlog for 163 E175 first generation. On the other side old E190/ E195 have maintenance trouble. They need replacement earlier. And then there is a gap at around 110 seats that need to be filled.

I assume the engines of E190-E2/ E195-E2 and A220 are more or less identical? An A220-300 has 69,9 t MTOW. The E190-E2 has 13,5 t / 19% less MTOW. The wing is only 4% shorter. The engine may be too strong for E190-E2. I assume it's better to directly go for E195-E2.

How is the E195-E2 versus A220-100?
Why can't the world be a little bit more autistic?

strfyr51

Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:10 am

Sokes wrote:
lightsaber wrote:
I just see no market before 2025 to 2027. With oil prices low, CR7/CR9/E170/E175 will be maintained. The oldest E175 I could find is still below 30,000 cycles and 45,000 flight hours (but just), so these planes have another 12 to 15 years of service. With the extension of the CR2/7/9 to 80,000 flight cycles and 120,000 flight hours, the market will limp along until demand grows again.

Lightsaber

That's something to think about. I assumed airlines didn't order E175-E2 because of scope.
CRJ 700/ 900 were delivered from 2001 onward. I assume by 2003 they started getting delivered in quantity.
E jets were delivered from 2004 onward. I assume by 2007 they started getting delivered in quantity.
CRJ700/ E175: around 32 m length
CRJ 900/ E190: around 36 m length
E195 E2: 41,5 m length

Is Embraer serious about selling E175-E2 at the moment? If somebody buys fifty and the engines make problems, when will P&W attend to it?
Why would airlines buy now? There is no urgent replacement for some years. Better to wait till certification is done. Moreover as of March 2020, there is a backlog for 163 E175 first generation. On the other side old E190/ E195 have maintenance trouble. They need replacement earlier. And then there is a gap at around 110 seats that need to be filled.

I assume the engines of E190-E2/ E195-E2 and A220 are more or less identical? An A220-300 has 69,9 t MTOW. The E190-E2 has 13,5 t / 19% less MTOW. The wing is only 4% shorter. The engine may be too strong for E190-E2. I assume it's better to directly go for E195-E2.

How is the E195-E2 versus A220-100?

I seriously doubt any airline would buy a model with 2 different Engines on it so they would have to find a way to accommodate the lighter airplane with a de-rated engine of the same model to offer commonality. Everything else is solveable with some Engineering. Unless? they choose to abandon the USA regional market..

bkmbr

Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:53 pm

Embraer begun the "re-reorganization" of the company after the failed joint venture. Embraer's press release:

Embraer announces Arjan Meijer as President and CEO of Commercial Aviation business

SÃO PAULO - June 15th, 2020 – Embraer started today its restructuring process with the reintegration of the commercial aviation business and announces Arjan Meijer as the new President and CEO of Embraer Commercial Aviation, succeeding John Slattery. Arjan will report directly to Embraer President and CEO Francisco Gomes Neto, and the move will be effective immediately.

Arjan, 47, has been Chief Commercial Officer of Embraer Commercial Aviation since January 2017. In his role as CCO at the company, he has been responsible for the global Marketing and Sales functions across six different regions, helping the company to achieve 35 airline deals. He joined the company in April 2016 as Vice President of Commercial Aviation for Europe, the Middle East, Africa, and Russia.

Prior to joining Embraer, Arjan spent 15 years in various executive roles at the KLM Group. His last two roles were Vice President of Technical Services and Fleet Development at KLM’s regional subsidiary KLM Cityhopper and Managing Director at KLM UK Engineering in Norwich. Arjan earned a Master’s in Aeronautical Engineering from Delft Technical University in the Netherlands and a Master’s in Business Administration from Purdue University in the United States.

“Arjan has done a fantastic job as the head of sales for Embraer Commercial Aviation. He has the energy, international experience, and skillset to lead our commercial aviation business at this unique moment,” said Francisco Gomes Neto.

John Slattery is leaving Embraer to take an opportunity with one of the company’s main partners in the industry. Since July 2016, he has been leading Embraer Commercial Aviation. Prior to that, he was the business unit´s Chief Commercial Officer since November 2012.

“John has played a central role at Embraer during a challenging time, and we thank him for his dedication and tireless service to the company, as well as its customers, employees, and partners,” said Alexandre Silva, Embraer Chairman of the Board. “Fortunately, the industry will keep counting on him as he will continue to work in the aviation sector.”

About Embraer

A global aerospace company headquartered in Brazil, Embraer celebrates its 50th anniversary with businesses in Commercial and Executive aviation, Defense & Security and Agricultural Aviation. The company designs, develops, manufactures and markets aircraft and systems, providing Services & Support to customers after-sales.

Since it was founded in 1969, Embraer has delivered more than 8,000 aircraft. On average, about every 10 seconds an aircraft manufactured by Embraer takes off somewhere in the world, transporting over 145 million passengers a year.

Embraer is the leading manufacturer of commercial jets up to 150 seats and the main exporter of high value-added goods in Brazil. The company maintains industrial units, offices, service and parts distribution centers, among other activities, across the Americas, Africa, Asia and Europe.

https://embraer.com/global/en/news?slug ... n-business

EMBSPBR

Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:13 pm

bkmbr wrote:
“John has played a central role at Embraer during a challenging time, and we thank him for his dedication and tireless service to the company, as well as its customers, employees, and partners,” said Alexandre Silva, Embraer Chairman of the Board. “Fortunately, the industry will keep counting on him as he will continue to work in the aviation sector.”

Money:
Embraer: enough;
JV: much better;
No JV: ouchhh;
GE: perfect !

Revelation

Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:15 pm

EMBSPBR wrote:
bkmbr wrote:

Money:
Embraer: enough;
JV: much better;
No JV: ouchhh;
GE: perfect !

Then there's that well known pipeline from GE Aviation to Boeing....

Just sayin'...
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

lightsaber

Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:24 pm

bkmbr wrote:
Embraer begun the "re-reorganization" of the company after the failed joint venture. Embraer's press release:

Embraer announces Arjan Meijer as President and CEO of Commercial Aviation business

--snip--

“Arjan has done a fantastic job as the head of sales for Embraer Commercial Aviation. He has the energy, international experience, and skillset to lead our commercial aviation business at this unique moment,” said Francisco Gomes Neto.

Errr.... Embraer wouldn't have tried to sell its commercial division if sales had been excellent.

Lightsaber
Winter is coming.

DLHAM

Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:58 pm

Boeing should have gone for the E2 ... They should have already bought the CSeries instead of fighting against Bombardier years back -- now they did the same mistake again.

Now Airbus owns the whole 125-160 seat market with the CSeries and also has a further advantage because they can offer bundles to Airlines reaching from 120 all the way to 240 seats in the narrowbody market.
Boeing ... The MAX7 is dead just like the A319 so their portfolio is just in the 189-230 seat range.
With the E2 they could offer 90-145 and 189-230 seats -- even covering more on the low end but with that Gap between 195E2 and MAX8. But I am sure most Airlines could live with this Gap.
My Instagram Account: Instagram

strfyr51

Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:32 am

bkmbr wrote:
strfyr51 wrote:
COMAC would be an "Also Ran" next to Boeing and Airbus Even Combined with Embraer. Since Embraer didn't bother to check their Market in the USA before launching the E2 series, when they KNEW good and well what the ALPA contracts looked like in the USA? I cannot help but question their Business acumen especially since they were selling E170's and E175's all over the place in the USA. Did they suddenly expect the majors to turn away from Boeing and Airbus to them?
So exactly Who followed USAIR with the E190/195 order for mainline service with their airplanes in is to themselveshe USA? Nobody I can recall. their E-170 and 175 appear to be doing well. But they seemed to ignore what they were doing in the E2 in making the weight beyond what the ALPA contract stated knowing good and Well the Pilot union was watching them and the US Majors like a hawk! United went all the way to China to find A319's to Not buy the E-195. Why? Because in buying the E-195? the UA-ALPA crews would have then extrapolated the E-195 down to the smaller models and then demanded to fly them ALL!
Delta had the right Idea with their A220's, It remains to be seen what their pilots might want from them. Embraer is in this fix because they did this to themselves!
they exceeded the weight limits and they miscalculated their overall impact on the US Market in light of US-ALPA's contract provisions. So?
they now have NO Choice but to .go "head up" with Boeing and Airbus. Can they? Surely. But what are they willing to Lose if they fail? OR?
What price are they willing to Risk in prompting an ALPA strike? Because that's what it will take for them to have their way.. Could be?
Embraer might want to match the A220 "stride for stride" with another Model and designation.

Embraer bet that the scope clause would be changed eventually and, let's be honest, there are still possibilities for it to be changed in the reorganization that the market will face after the Covid crisis. If they change the clauses the M100 dies before arriving and the 175E2 will be ready to be sold to anyone who wants to. The Boeing partnership would help a lot in the lobbying necessary to chance the scope clauses that have been altered before do increase the limits of the scope clause.

I say? Fat chance!! BOEING has no standing with ALPA! What could they offer the Pilots to relax the Scope Clause? None of the ALPA Pilots Work For Boeing!
you're not really talking Business here. And the Business you are trying to talk? Is NOT in Boeing's PURVIEW!! In Short? They don't have a "Dog in this Race" !Because you wish it to BE so? Won't and Can't make it FACT!

bkmbr

Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:42 am

Embraer announced this afternoon in Brazil that has just secured a US$ 600 million loan (half by BNDES and half bay private banks) in exchange the company will not lay off any employees for two months after receiving the loan.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-embr ... SKBN23M1QB

LegoAir

Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:04 am

bkmbr wrote:

SÃO PAULO - June 15th, 2020 – Embraer started today its restructuring process with the reintegration of the commercial aviation business and announces Arjan Meijer as the new President and CEO of Embraer Commercial Aviation, succeeding John Slattery. Arjan will report directly to Embraer President and CEO Francisco Gomes Neto, and the move will be effective immediately.

Arjan, 47, has been Chief Commercial Officer of Embraer Commercial Aviation since January 2017. In his role as CCO at the company, he has been responsible for the global Marketing and Sales functions across six different regions, helping the company to achieve 35 airline deals. He joined the company in April 2016 as Vice President of Commercial Aviation for Europe, the Middle East, Africa, and Russia.

Prior to joining Embraer, Arjan spent 15 years in various executive roles at the KLM Group. His last two roles were Vice President of Technical Services and Fleet Development at KLM’s regional subsidiary KLM Cityhopper and Managing Director at KLM UK Engineering in Norwich. Arjan earned a Master’s in Aeronautical Engineering from Delft Technical University in the Netherlands and a Master’s in Business Administration from Purdue University in the United States.

John Slattery is leaving Embraer to take an opportunity with one of the company’s main partners in the industry. Since July 2016, he has been leading Embraer Commercial Aviation. Prior to that, he was the business unit´s Chief Commercial Officer since November 2012.

About Embraer

A global aerospace company headquartered in Brazil, Embraer celebrates its 50th anniversary with businesses in Commercial and Executive aviation, Defense & Security and Agricultural Aviation. The company designs, develops, manufactures and markets aircraft and systems, providing Services & Support to customers after-sales.

Since it was founded in 1969, Embraer has delivered more than 8,000 aircraft. On average, about every 10 seconds an aircraft manufactured by Embraer takes off somewhere in the world, transporting over 145 million passengers a year.

Embraer is the leading manufacturer of commercial jets up to 150 seats and the main exporter of high value-added goods in Brazil. The company maintains industrial units, offices, service and parts distribution centers, among other activities, across the Americas, Africa, Asia and Europe.

https://embraer.com/global/en/news?slug ... n-business

Good news for Embraer, not so good for GE Aviation

John IsLate