Runway28L
Topic Author

How could BA continue a prestigious London-New York experience?

Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:08 pm

So now that BA appears to be reducing their LCY to JFK service in addition to floating rumors of the service being completely being axed, and the Concorde being long gone... how could BA retain some "prestige" from London to New York?

Is prestige even worth anything anymore since BA and others European legacies are facing pressure from LCCs and consumers seem more price-oriented nowadays rather than luxury?

So could BA do something such as... take a few 787s or a different aircraft type and created a special configuration dedicated for a London-New York service?

Or has the market evolved too much for BA to offer such service and profit adequately from it?

Thoughts?

9w748capt

Re: How could BA continue a prestigious London-New York experience?

Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:12 pm

How bout introducing an actual J product? That would be a good start.

TC957

Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:14 pm

Have a much-improved Club World on the 787-10's when they come and use them instead of the ageing 744's might be a good starting point.

continental004

Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:20 pm

Put the 380s on the route; if anyone complains about reduced frequency they can go deal

atcsundevil

Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:23 pm

Queue the "bring back Concorde" chorus!

To answer the question of, "Is it worth it?" I suppose it depends on who you ask, but it's undeniable that JFK-LHR is a hugely profitable and highly prestigious route — potentially the most prestigious, at least from a historical sense. The problem with the A318 route is that it's somewhat inconvenient running from LCY, and having a stopover going westbound. The flight takes just as long (or longer) than existing routes, and because F and J seats these days are usually suites, the "private jet" feel of the A318 is probably a little less relevant. Not to mention that timing is often the more important factor to people with money to spend, so they're generally more likely to fly F between JFK-LHR because of the higher frequency.

That said, I think that a high profile, unique service is the only way to bring back true prestige to the route. The A318 service is great and all, but it's a far cry from the luxury and uniqueness of Concorde. I don't think anything can truly match that experience until another supersonic airliner comes along, which is presumably quite a ways off. It's not simply about a luxurious experience, it's about the "I can get there faster than you can" mentality. There's nothing particularly special or unique about the A318 service, and it's not high profile enough to generate the kind of public awareness that Concorde did. That's why I think it'll take something truly as groundbreaking (and bonkers) as Concorde, but given the tremendous costs and often losses associated with Concorde, it will likely be quite a long time before another SST comes along.

AaronPGH

Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:27 pm

CS100 to replace the a318 out of LCY with all the stops pulled on the interior & service? Could go all the way with a special livery too.
Last edited by AaronPGH on Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

atcsundevil

Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:27 pm

continental004 wrote:
Put the 380s on the route; if anyone complains about reduced frequency they can go deal

JFK-London is all about frequency though. People who are buying full fare F/J are the types of people who want to fly when they want to fly. Reducing frequency to add an A380 with nothing more to offer than the 744, 772, or 788/789 wouldn't do anything to add more prestige to the route — not unless they brought back lounges and piano bars like the old days, but that's pretty unlikely given BA's cost cutting of late. Even then, I'm not sure it would make a heck of a lot of difference.

rnav2dlrey

Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:30 pm

all J seating Cseries LCY-JFK nonstop. i think the CS100 can do it?

it will probably never happen, but if PANYNJ ever relaxed/eliminated the LGA perimeter rule, LCY-LGA would be an obvious instant winner.

lhrsfosyd

Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:31 pm

They should retime existing frequencies to depart on the hour every hour between 8am and 8pm for LHR-JFK. This would be great PR and could be branded as New York Shuttle service. They should also introduce Fare Families on the route so that pax can switch to any flight on the day subject to space.

Adipocere

Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:46 pm

"Prestige" would have made sense in the 60s or 70s. Nowadays air travel is just a glorified bus in the sky. It would make sense for airlines to perform to that new reality.

VC10er

Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:00 pm

A dear friend who couldn’t care less about what we all love, but is wealthy and only flies paid business. He lives in Miami and was excited (relatively) to take the BA A380. He flew AA 777-300ER back.
He said he was shocked at how underwhelming BA was, so old and dowdy, even more shocked how much better AA was, all around.
I haven’t flown either BA or AA in years, but used to go almost monthly. Yes, it’s a slog for some who work for Anglo/American companies. But there is room for “some” prestige, at least on the longer LHR to JFK (east coast) when you are mostly awake and can enjoy it.
Ive had some truly lovely return flights to the USA.
To Most the Sky is The Limit, For me, the Sky is Home.

Jerry123

Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:07 pm

With Crossrail opening in 2019 i believe then there will really be no need for a dedicated LCY-JFK service. Newer First class and business suites on brand new 787 9s and 787 10s to replace the older 747s on the LHR-JFK route will fill the gap.

PatrickZ80

Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:31 pm

atcsundevil wrote:
JFK-London is all about frequency though. People who are buying full fare F/J are the types of people who want to fly when they want to fly.

This indeed. Maybe make it a 24/7 hourly service. According to Flighttime-Calculator it's a 7 hours flight. Add two hours turnaround times to that, that's 9 hours for a one-way flight or 18 hours for a return. In other words, you'd need 18 aircraft to keep up this schedule. That seems doable.

Adipocere wrote:
"Prestige" would have made sense in the 60s or 70s. Nowadays air travel is just a glorified bus in the sky. It would make sense for airlines to perform to that new reality.

Very true, and since prestige almost certain makes things more expensive and passengers today are a lot more price-sensitive than they were in the 60s and 70s maybe prestige isn't something to go after, or maybe only in the higher classes.

F100Flyer

Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:34 pm

Perhaps they should stop flying as a low cost carrier with sky-high fares.

a350lover

Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:42 pm

Like others said before, aviation today is about many things except one: "prestige"

What makes people choose an option for flying between these two gorgeous places of the planet are many different things (times, competitive air fares, ease to clear customs, etc.). There is so much traffic between London and New York, there is a bit of market for everyone.

However, legacy carries like BA, in my opinion, do need to think about their past. People board a Norwegian flight with some of the freshness that they talk about. On the other hand, people board BA planes having a bit of a different feeling, an old feeling. This is not a particular thing about BA, it affects all airlines with a bit of history, namely legacy airlines.

To start with, when you look at the Google searching tool for flights

By fare:

Norwegian is the winner with its 2x daily, pretty much every day. This makes me think of the need to open at least some frequencies to a no-penalty policy when booking just one way, which BA clearly does not apply.

By aircraft type:

BA proposal is a mix of 747 and 777. Talking about "that legacy feeling....". Don't get me wrong, these are superb planes. However, maybe not the ones that the business pax which in fact flies the most often, wants to see flight after flight. The second cheapest option to fly often (Air India to EWR) flies also using the 787. If we are after the exclusiveness you talked about, maybe the idea Aaron brings by using CS1000 could be an option. BA definitely needs to balance the "legacy" feeling with a bit of fresh air. The aircraft means a lot these days.

Then after all this there is a huge potential for making the route exclusive by other means, like dedicated areas in airports, add more freedom to change times, etc.

350Ops

Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:42 pm

I was at BA’s business class lounge at JFK a few days ago and I noticed they have a dedicated supper room which tells me that they’ve cut down on their inflight catering experience in lieu of the supper area at the lounge.

Perhaps a launching a new hard J product (it’s due) and making a debut on their LHR-JFK first may help make the route seem prestigious.

BestWestern

Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:21 pm

On 7-8 hour night flights it’s all about sleep onboard and dine in the lounge before travel.

The BA hard J product has fallen behind the competition of late, but is still quite good.

From a space productivity perspective, the BA seat is fantastic - hence the difficulty in replacing it with a CX style seat.

With AA/UA/DL, the seat changes brought additional yield - but I can’t see BA getting more yield with a seat improvement.
Greetings from Hong Kong.... a subsidiary of China Inc.

jfk777

Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:41 pm

BA will never likely have a special "JFK to LHR " fleet, though JFK is very likely to go along with their plans for the 86J 744. There are several markets where high business class demand means specially configured airplanes. When they release the seat map for their new A350-1000 the future will arrive,and lets hope the A380 and 787 get the news seat too.

Revelation

Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:41 pm

continental004 wrote:

As mentioned several times here, BA's terminal at JFK has no A380 capable gates, so that prestigious arrival and departure goal would not be met.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

LH658

Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:44 pm

Just fly AA, with a better product.

ACDC8

Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:48 pm

I'll just leave this here in regards to prestige ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzB5xtGGsTc
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

N62NA

Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:49 pm

9w748capt wrote:
How bout introducing an actual J product? That would be a good start.

I agree. Their J is just plain awful. I book J in AA when I fly JFK-LHR.

Cointrin330

Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:16 am

It wouldn't surprise anyone if BA were to axe the JFK-LCY route, eventually. The number of business travelers, specifically bankers, flying NYC to LON is likely to be down somewhat for a variety of reasons. BA's product generally has become sub-par. The Terminal 7 experience at JFK is simply awful. The 747-400's are aging but what BA has is frequency. I don't see the A380 being added on the JFK route. It isn't needed. BA could probably add some 777-300ERs or mix them up with the 772s and as others have said, the 787-10 eventually. It's amazing to think that in what is one of the busiest and largest international city pairs in the world, the choice of aircraft has become somewhat ho hum. AA flies 1 777-300ER an 2 772ERs, while DL is a mix of 767 and A330 (going to all A330), VS has the A340-600, the A330-300s (which are actually nice), and UA is all 767-300 and 1 -400. Rewind 10-15 years ago, and everyone but their best product in this market. Not so much anymore.

george77300

Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:18 am

To those mentioning the CS100 could do it without stopping, so could the A318 range wise in their light configuration. The reason it can’t is the A318 at MTOW needs more runway than LCY has and thus needs a fuel stop.

Newbiepilot

Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:26 am

atcsundevil wrote:
continental004 wrote:

JFK-London is all about frequency though. People who are buying full fare F/J are the types of people who want to fly when they want to fly. Reducing frequency to add an A380 with nothing more to offer than the 744, 772, or 788/789 wouldn't do anything to add more prestige to the route — not unless they brought back lounges and piano bars like the old days, but that's pretty unlikely given BA's cost cutting of late. Even then, I'm not sure it would make a heck of a lot of difference.

I thought the reason why there aren’t A380s to JFK is because they don’t fit at terminal 7.

F100Flyer

Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:15 am

BestWestern wrote:
On 7-8 hour night flights it’s all about sleep onboard and dine in the lounge before travel.

The BA hard J product has fallen behind the competition of late, but is still quite good.

From a space productivity perspective, the BA seat is fantastic - hence the difficulty in replacing it with a CX style seat.

With AA/UA/DL, the seat changes brought additional yield - but I can’t see BA getting more yield with a seat improvement.

Your standards must be very low seeing as the BA J seat is one of the worst in the sky. I prefer airlines that don't have their business class seat reminiscent of something found at a dentist practice.

zippyjet

Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:31 am

A lot may feel fancy blue ribbon service went the way of an honest politician. But, other carriers have brought back meal service so the art of luxury hasn't totally died.
Regarding BA? Expand the prestigious service to LHR-IAD, LHR-ORD, LHR-MIA, LHR-LAX to name a few locales. You could use the 380, 787, 747. Does BA fly the A 350? If so, use a 350. Take an idea from the Virgin playbook and have masseuses on board. If BA really wants to go all out copy the model of the now-defunct MGM Grand Air and the on paper only Royal Atlantic Airways. With airports such as LAX and MIA always expanding and remodeling build some luxurious facilities for BA. Such as fitness venues, spas etc. One could even cater to well-heeled passengers who have their beloved four-legged family members. For that matter beauty/grooming for both two and four-legged passengers. And BA could have one of the famous chefs create gourmet delights on these flights. Chef Gordon Ramsey anyone? If this has been covered before, I apologize in advance.
I'm Zippyjet & I approve of this message!

ThalesCoelho

Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:25 am

Change de A318 for a Gulf G650, what about?

EarlyLateORD

Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:43 am

Echo-ing some previous comments

Hourly service on 787-9 JFK-LHR.

Ability to do someday standby

Dedicated branding and onboard product.

Dedicated CBP lane at JFK T7 for JFK-LHR "Shuttle" pax.

AA seems to have taken a similar route at ORD as they have consolidated all LHR flights onto the 787-8.

Adam

Cunard

Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:39 am

PatrickZ80 wrote:
atcsundevil wrote:
JFK-London is all about frequency though. People who are buying full fare F/J are the types of people who want to fly when they want to fly.

This indeed. Maybe make it a 24/7 hourly service. According to Flighttime-Calculator it's a 7 hours flight. Add two hours turnaround times to that, that's 9 hours for a one-way flight or 18 hours for a return. In other words, you'd need 18 aircraft to keep up this schedule. That seems doable.

Adipocere wrote:

Very true, and since prestige almost certain makes things more expensive and passengers today are a lot more price-sensitive than they were in the 60s and 70s maybe prestige isn't something to go after, or maybe only in the higher classes.

As grand as it sounds it's not possible to operate an hourly shuttle service between LHR and JFK due to the nighttime aviation curfews at both airports and I seriously can't see that changing.

What is possible and something that both American and British Airways should be looking at is an hourly flight from LHR to JFK during the hours of 08.00 to 20.00.

Regarding LCY to JFK that will be gone within the next two years after Crossrail is opened and Brexit kicks in and the need for executives from Canary Wharf to use the route diminishes and with a possibility of an hourly shuttle from LHR between the hours of 08.00 and 21.00 there is no point in the LCY to JFK route.

I'm afraid that the writing was on the wall for LCY to JFK once British Airways went down to a single flight and disposing of one of the two A318's to
Titan Airways.
94 Countries, 327 Destinations Worldwide, 32 Airlines, 29 Aircraft Types, 182 Airports, 335 Flights.

StudiodeKadent

Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:18 am

Jerry123 wrote:
Newer First class and business suites on brand new 787 9s and 787 10s to replace the older 747s on the LHR-JFK route will fill the gap.

I agree there.

787-10s with the new 787 First cabins, and the Club World Mk3 cabin (the one apparently coming on the A350s and the 787-10s IIRC), finished out with BA's usual Premium and Economy offerings, will be perfectly acceptable and competitive on the route.

aemoreira1981

Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:29 am

Upgrade the J and W products. Put the B789 product on the B78Js and introduce those on LHR-JFK to replace the B744s. (EWR sees the B788 and B789 on selected dates.) The difference between the B772 (4-class, F14-J48-W40-Y122) and B789 (F8-J42-W39-Y127) isn't too big unless BA needs all of the F and J seats on JFK-LHR. I would put the B772 on EWR and a B789 on one of the JFK frequencies. Terminal 7 at JFK is why BA won't send the A380 to JFK. Debuting the B78J on JFK-LHR would be nice.

TWA772LR

Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:21 am

ThalesCoelho wrote:

I was thinking for a Boom B-1 or Aerion SB2. They combine the sheer convinenience of LCY and the Concorde level of prestige and speed.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

Cunard

Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:31 am

TWA772LR wrote:
ThalesCoelho wrote:

I was thinking for a Boom B-1 or Aerion SB2. They combine the sheer convinenience of LCY and the Concorde level of prestige and speed.

If either of those end up in commercial service and are able to use LCY I must admit that would be an absolute game changer and British Airways would definitely have the upper gain once more on the lucrative JFK to London route and it could just be the saviour that the LCY to JFK route needs and with the route already using the former iconic Concorde flight numbers combined with a new generation of super sonic aircraft British Airways would instantly have their prestigious flight back again.
94 Countries, 327 Destinations Worldwide, 32 Airlines, 29 Aircraft Types, 182 Airports, 335 Flights.

scotron11

Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:58 am

I agree that their J class seat is awful. Mind you, I last flew their J class in 2003 JFK-LHR, but seems in almost 15yrs it hasn't changed. Compared to other carriers it certainly needs an upgrade.

Im sure people who run BA are aware of the negative ratings given to BA by various surveys but as long as they have the the pax paying the big bucks, seems they don't really care.

BAorNoWay

Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:13 am

If it is announced that IAG are the airline that placed that undisclosed order for 31+30 C Series aircraft then I don’t see why atleast 1 aircraft wouldn’t be kept on for the LCY-JFK route. The CS100 can fly direct from LCY-JFK with approx 40 pax without the need to stop in Ireland, so in this sense it beats the performance currently offered by the existing A318.

The BA J product will be updated in the next two years but they will still keep the ying-yang style because it enables the airline to pack many more pax into the plane which is why BA’s profits are through the roof. They own the majority of the slots at Europe’s premier transatlantic hub, many of the passsengers flying these routes are on corporate accounts so it’s not the individuals that are paying for the seats, it’s their employers who book tickets through corporate agreements direct with BA.

BA have admitted that the product needs to be improved and have already taken steps to do so with improved catering etc. More changes will come but they don’t have to ofter flashy ME3 style products when they have such a large market share at LHR.

Plus for many British/Americans, there is still some sort of ‘prestige’ in being able to say that they are flying British Airways, which links to that historical context some previous posters have mentioned above.

Cunard

Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:51 am

I agree with your last comment entirely and can relate to that if you understand my username :-)

Although I don't agree with idea that British Airways being the undisclosed airline that ordered 31+31 C Series.

The Embraers are too young to replace and two second hand examples are joining the BACF fleet soon and I don't see any benefit the C Series would provide that the Embraers couldn't except for LCY to JFK but replace the entire fleet by the C Series just so that LCY to JFK can be non stop.

As much as the C Series is an excellent aircraft and it would be great for British Airways but I just can't see them as being the unnamed airline I would expect it to the Lufthansa Group to be honest.

dredgy

Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:02 am

They could codeshare on Virgin Atlantic.

BAorNoWay

Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:17 am

Cunard wrote:
I agree with your last comment entirely and can relate to that if you understand my username :-)

Although I don't agree with idea that British Airways being the undisclosed airline that ordered 31+31 C Series.

The Embraers are too young to replace and two second hand examples are joining the BACF fleet soon and I don't see any benefit the C Series would provide that the Embraers couldn't except for LCY to JFK but replace the entire fleet by the C Series just so that LCY to JFK can be non stop.

As much as the C Series is an excellent aircraft and it would be great for British Airways but I just can't see them as being the unnamed airline I would expect it to the Lufthansa Group to be honest.

As someone who has crossed the Atlantic a number of times on QM2/QE and also sailed on QV I think we are kindred spirits!

I understand where you’re coming from re the Embraers but I have a feeling the aircraft could be bought by IAG for use by BACF (extra regional flying, capacity upgrade for some LCY routes) plus also be used in the Aer Lingus, Vueling and Iberia Express fleets. It may never happen and Lufthansa Group seems a more obvious fit but I believe the original statement regarding the order said it was from a customer that doesn’t already have the aircraft in their fleet. It all depends on whether this includes a group like Lufthansa (thinking Swiss C-Series) or an individual airline.

flyingphil

Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:20 am

BA seemed to be sending mixed messages about BA1 & BA2 LCY - JFK
That they are persevering with it shows that there is still a demand for it.
For bankers in Canary Wharf and the City LCY is a great experience.
It takes about 30 minutes on the Docklands Railway to get there and you can be in the departure lounge in a couple of minutes and no long treks to gates.
The lounge is all set up for business too with stock market tickers and wi-fi.
Crossrail direct to LHR wont be operational for a few years. I doubt Brexit will make much difference as 75% of the business in the City is non-EU.

The C-Series could do LCY-JFK non-stop and take more passengers.. maybe it could work, although I think there is a lack of gates at LCY that may be an issue.
The start up airline Odessey was supposed to be entering this market but seems to have fizzled out ? http://www.flyody.com/

I would imagine BA will continue with the solitary A318 for a while.. will be interesting to see what happens ..

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/in ... ondon-city

Arion640

Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:20 am

The reason why BA don't upgrade the club cabin is because they can fill every single seat! They would of done a major upgrade otherwise.

I did LHR-JFK the other day in a 86J 747 and did not see a single spare seat.

I haven't ever flown BA's first but from videos/pictures the new 787 first is a great improvement. It's also a good way to get BA FF to burn their miles, it's J class where the money is made on BA.
No bumps. No bangs - Concorde

Lofty

Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:24 am

Remembering that LHR to JFK is a Joint Services Route the best way forward would be to have AA and BA to operate out of the same terminal at LHR and JFK. This would create a true Shuttle service maybe bring back the Super Shuttle brand!

ltbewr

Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:05 am

The JFK-LCY service may also be not as popular not only due the the need to stop westbound on many flights adding more time for the flight but also due to the increased use Skype and other video conference service. Teleconferencing is far cheaper that flying an employee, losing their presence for 2 days from other work and keeping them away from family just for a few hours of meetings.
What has also hurt the 'prestige' of the route is more direct or non-stop services to the Middle East, India and elsewhere that once had to go through LHR and on ME 3 airlines that offer far better service for price than BA and other NYC - London services can or will.

TheLion

Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:30 am

continental004 wrote:
F27500 wrote:
Is it really even a "prestigious" route anymore?

Let's face it .. today, its all about trash like Kardashians, rappers, Jay-Z & Beyoncé, etc flying and paying these silly fares .. so who cares? Why cater to them?

Excuse you...Beyoncé is the Queen and a living GODDESS.

The loathsome likes of the Kardashians are kinda trash, but it’s wholly unfair and a regressive stereotype to tar “rappers” with the same brush. And I’m sure Beyoncé & Jay-Z have plenty of class and would be rather offended by you lumping them in.

varsity

Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:13 pm

I don't know whether the A380 upgauge would be worth the infrastructure cost at JFK to implement it. These days, you only care about your own seat. The fact that it's a bigger plane doesn't matter the way it did when the 747 was new.

That said, if the BA/AA relationship is going to last long term, I agree that BA should move to T7, which should be built out as originally conceived to support the other OW carriers under one roof. If they did that it would only make sense to plan for the 380 and any other superjumbo ac that comes down the pike.
AB3, DC8, DC9, DH7, D10, E90, M80, M88, 320, 321, 330, 722, 737, 733, 734, 738, 747, 744, 757, 752, 753, 772
AA, AF, B6, CO, DL, EA, EI, FI, HP, KM, LX, MS, NW, OP, PA, TW, UA, US, VS, W9, WO, YX

RayChuang

Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:25 pm

I think one possibility is that the "younger" 777-200ER's could be extensively refurbished into planes with mostly--if not all--First and Club World seating specifically for the LHR-JFK flights. And they will offer extra amenities like free (First) and very low cost (Club World) limousine service to and from the airport on both sides of the Atlantic.

zrs70

Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:27 pm

Have the 318 come to LGA instead of JFK.
19 year airliners.net vet! 2000-2019

chrisnh

Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:37 pm

The number of people who want a 'prestige' experience is dwarfed by the number of folks who 'Just Want To Get There.'

Channex757

Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:43 pm

Unsubstantiated rumour (allegedly from within BA) is that the 78K and A35K will both get the new BA Business product, described as Qatar Airways "with a BA twist". The same would presumably apply to First.

One reason BA's LCY product has not done as well as hoped is that bankers don't fly business class. They want First! Why do you think Concorde managed so well until 9/11 killed a huge chunk of Concorde loyalists.

jetwet1

Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:04 pm

VC10er wrote:
A dear friend who couldn’t care less about what we all love, but is wealthy and only flies paid business. He lives in Miami and was excited (relatively) to take the BA A380. He flew AA 777-300ER back.
He said he was shocked at how underwhelming BA was, so old and dowdy, even more shocked how much better AA was, all around.
I haven’t flown either BA or AA in years, but used to go almost monthly. Yes, it’s a slog for some who work for Anglo/American companies. But there is room for “some” prestige, at least on the longer LHR to JFK (east coast) when you are mostly awake and can enjoy it.
Ive had some truly lovely return flights to the USA.

He is not the only one, a friend of mine who owns a finance company in London has switched over to AA and CX from BA, as he explained it to me, if his company is going o spend £50k a DAY with BA they need to step up their game......

Adipocere wrote:

Very true.

F100Flyer wrote:
Perhaps they should stop flying as a low cost carrier with sky-high fares.

Sky high not so much, but hey are not exactly a budget airline (by price) either.

zippyjet wrote:
[color=#80FFFF]Take an idea from the Virgin playbook and have masseuses on board.

VS hasn't offered an on board masseuses in years.

dredgy wrote:
They could codeshare on Virgin Atlantic.

Rarely do I ever say "that will never happen"..."But that will never happen"

Arion640 wrote:
The reason why BA don't upgrade the club cabin is because they can fill every single seat! They would of done a major upgrade otherwise.

True, but there does come a point where the people that control the Corp contracts get tired of the employees bitching at them about how much a product sucks.

Channex757 wrote:

One reason BA's LCY product has not done as well as hoped is that bankers don't fly business class. They want First! Why do you think Concorde managed so well until 9/11 killed a huge chunk of Concorde loyalists.

No, bankers fly in J, their bosses fly in F

RayChuang wrote:
I think one possibility is that the "younger" 777-200ER's could be extensively refurbished into planes with mostly--if not all--First and Club World seating specifically for the LHR-JFK flights. And they will offer extra amenities like free (First) and very low cost (Club World) limousine service to and from the airport on both sides of the Atlantic.

Not a bad idea, though I can't see BA going to the expense of the limo service.

Anyways, my take, BA needs to go all aisle access, the food from what I have seen in trip reports with the new menus looks good. But with a couple of exceptions, it's the seats that kill BA for those that care.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos