Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
a350lover
Topic Author
Posts: 993
Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:21 am

Iberia first A350 destinations?

Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:36 pm

Iberia is ready to start its long-haul fleet renovation with the arrival of the brand-new A350. They have options for getting up to 16 of these big birds. However they haven't said much about which are the inaugural routes they will be using them for.

If you take a look at Iberia's network, you easily notice that its core business is South America. Some of their longest routes are SCL (7x weekly), EZE (up to 17x weekly next autumn 18) and MEX (14x weekly). These three I would say are the ones which historically have reported the best revenues for the airline, mainly when looking at business pax.

South America is though, one of the areas in the world with the least presence of the A350, with just about 7 units owned by LATAM Brasil (formerly TAM). These airplanes are mainly flying Asia-Europe-North America.

They would surely burn less fuel for the PVG and NRT services which Iberia has been flying for a bit over a year, though these markets are yet too weak for the Spanish airline.

Any bets?
 
marcoantona
Posts: 87
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:17 pm

Re: Iberia first A350 destinations?

Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:07 pm

During the announcement of IB's addiotional frequencies to EZE they said JFK and BOS would be the first routes.
For EZE and SCL they said they would wait for more frames to come in.
 
a350lover
Topic Author
Posts: 993
Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:21 am

Re: Iberia first A350 destinations?

Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:18 pm

Interesting... I read some of the news regarding the press meeting in BUE, but I couldn't find any reference to the BOS and JFK choice to be flown by the a350.

Both BOS and JFK are marketed in the website of the airline operated by A340 (one of the daily services to JFK) and A330 the rest.

Out of the well-established markets of the airline, the only one which won't have much of limitations in terms of flying time or height would be GRU.

Maybe the first in South America?
 
skipness1E
Posts: 5014
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:18 am

Re: Iberia first A350 destinations?

Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:38 pm

Heathrow. They’ll maybe replace the A346 for familiarity?
 
a350lover
Topic Author
Posts: 993
Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:21 am

Re: Iberia first A350 destinations?

Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:47 pm

skipness1E wrote:
Heathrow. They’ll maybe replace the A346 for familiarity?


LOL. For sure they'll need to put them on this route for crew training purposes.
 
dcajet
Posts: 5065
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:31 am

Re: Iberia first A350 destinations?

Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:34 am

a350lover wrote:
Interesting... I read some of the news regarding the press meeting in BUE, but I couldn't find any reference to the BOS and JFK choice to be flown by the a350.

Both BOS and JFK are marketed in the website of the airline operated by A340 (one of the daily services to JFK) and A330 the rest.

Out of the well-established markets of the airline, the only one which won't have much of limitations in terms of flying time or height would be GRU.

Maybe the first in South America?


Neither EZE nor SCL have any height issues. In fact the only airports in the region that have such issues are BOG and UIO. GRU, with just a daily A330 flight is not a key market for IB in the region, not in the same league as EZE or MEX. I believe that when IB introduces the A350 to Latin America, it will be to those two cities. That is where the yields are.

The issue with flying to EZE and MEX is that Iberia needs two frames to maintain daily service. Thus it is easier to introduce the A350 on flights to the US East Coat, where Iberia can maintain a daily rotation with one frame while familiarizing flight and ground crews with the new plane.
 
User avatar
NickolayAv
Posts: 453
Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:44 pm

Re: Iberia first A350 destinations?

Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:13 am

marcoantona wrote:
During the announcement of IB's addiotional frequencies to EZE they said JFK and BOS would be the first routes.
For EZE and SCL they said they would wait for more frames to come in.

Do you know if this will result in frequency being decreased because it is a larger aircraft?
 
RCS763AV
Posts: 3880
Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2004 1:22 am

Re: Iberia first A350 destinations?

Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:46 am

dcajet wrote:
a350lover wrote:
Interesting... I read some of the news regarding the press meeting in BUE, but I couldn't find any reference to the BOS and JFK choice to be flown by the a350.

Both BOS and JFK are marketed in the website of the airline operated by A340 (one of the daily services to JFK) and A330 the rest.

Out of the well-established markets of the airline, the only one which won't have much of limitations in terms of flying time or height would be GRU.

Maybe the first in South America?


Neither EZE nor SCL have any height issues. In fact the only airports in the region that have such issues are BOG and UIO. GRU, with just a daily A330 flight is not a key market for IB in the region, not in the same league as EZE or MEX. I believe that when IB introduces the A350 to Latin America, it will be to those two cities. That is where the yields are.

The issue with flying to EZE and MEX is that Iberia needs two frames to maintain daily service. Thus it is easier to introduce the A350 on flights to the US East Coat, where Iberia can maintain a daily rotation with one frame while familiarizing flight and ground crews with the new plane.


MEX also has height/temp issues, as it is barely lower than BOG and somewhat warmer.

I heard that BOG, currently served by the A340-600, was going to be the first A350 destination in Latin America. (They are upping frequencies form 7x o 10x weekly in the 2018 winter timetable, so maybe those three extra will get the A350?).
 
smi0006
Posts: 2642
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:45 am

Re: Iberia first A350 destinations?

Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:55 am

Will IB be introducing a new J product or will it remain the same? Maybe time for new uniforms too! Yeah
 
a350lover
Topic Author
Posts: 993
Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:21 am

Re: Iberia first A350 destinations?

Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:20 am

dcajet wrote:
The issue with flying to EZE and MEX is that Iberia needs two frames to maintain daily service. Thus it is easier to introduce the A350 on flights to the US East Coat, where Iberia can maintain a daily rotation with one frame while familiarizing flight and ground crews with the new plane.


This makes sense. Both Asian destinations could also be upgraded to A350 if they had the availability of aicrafts too. I am not sure how good are they performing in loads of the J pax. For sure the Y pax would appreciate the upgrading.
 
kelual
Posts: 59
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:18 am

Re: Iberia first A350 destinations?

Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:20 am

smi0006 wrote:
Will IB be introducing a new J product or will it remain the same? Maybe time for new uniforms too! Yeah


Not sure about a new J product but it will be revised as well as the livery. New uniforms will be introduced next year.
 
a350lover
Topic Author
Posts: 993
Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:21 am

Re: Iberia first A350 destinations?

Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:24 am

dcajet wrote:
Neither EZE nor SCL have any height issues. In fact the only airports in the region that have such issues are BOG and UIO. GRU, with just a daily A330 flight is not a key market for IB in the region, not in the same league as EZE or MEX. I believe that when IB introduces the A350 to Latin America, it will be to those two cities. That is where the yields are.


When we discuss about likely Iberia new routes, many agree that prior to that they need to rebuild capacity in some of their core markets. I would say GRU could potentially become 2x daily at some point. In fact, they are adding some extra weekly frequencies to GIG, while GRU has a lot of more potential in terms of J pax. Not sure how much freedom has Iberia because of the codeshare agreement with LATAM.

MEX became 3x daily some days the last S17. However, it looks like they won't be repeating the operation next S18. Maybe it didn't well?
 
n729pa
Posts: 1235
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:16 pm

Re: Iberia first A350 destinations?

Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:37 am

When are they due to start taking delivery of them?
I'm certainly hoping to see them on the LHR run sometime too.
 
a350lover
Topic Author
Posts: 993
Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:21 am

Re: Iberia first A350 destinations?

Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:42 am

n729pa wrote:
When are they due to start taking delivery of them?
I'm certainly hoping to see them on the LHR run sometime too.


They are due to be delivered this coming summer 18. Likely to start operating for them the second part of the summer, say... September 18 for sure.
 
User avatar
yochai
Posts: 287
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:19 pm

Re: Iberia first A350 destinations?

Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:55 am

From internal info we should be seeing A350 to TLV as well this year ( Just like the 333 when it was first delivered)
 
pabloeing
Posts: 594
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:00 pm

Re: Iberia first A350 destinations?

Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:06 am

In the A333 ....IB put the new planes to BOS and ORD.With the A350 maybe is the same.
 
User avatar
Jayafe
Posts: 1229
Joined: Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:12 pm

Re: Iberia first A350 destinations?

Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:19 am

kelual wrote:
Not sure about a new J product but it will be revised as well as the livery. New uniforms will be introduced next year.


Finally red nacelles?
 
a350lover
Topic Author
Posts: 993
Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:21 am

Re: Iberia first A350 destinations?

Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:30 am

yochai wrote:
From internal info we should be seeing A350 to TLV as well this year ( Just like the 333 when it was first delivered)


Makes sense. This route has been transferred to the A330 fleet anyway, right?
 
User avatar
TheLion
Posts: 691
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:14 am

Re: Iberia first A350 destinations?

Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:01 am

Jayafe wrote:
kelual wrote:
Not sure about a new J product but it will be revised as well as the livery. New uniforms will be introduced next year.


Finally red nacelles?


New IB livery did I hear you say...
 
Kadish
Posts: 378
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:36 am

Re: Iberia first A350 destinations?

Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:31 am

As far as I know they have 16 orders confirmed n 16 options more.
I seriously doubt the first destination is in South America due to rotations. Bos...I think it’s too much plane. I bet the first one will go either JFK or ORD.
 
User avatar
Jayafe
Posts: 1229
Joined: Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:12 pm

Re: Iberia first A350 destinations?

Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:55 am

TheLion wrote:
Jayafe wrote:
kelual wrote:
Not sure about a new J product but it will be revised as well as the livery. New uniforms will be introduced next year.


Finally red nacelles?


New IB livery did I hear you say...


A revised one would be nice. I seriously doubt they will drop the whole identity a few years after being introduced and when not even all the planes are already painted with it.
 
eamondzhang
Posts: 1943
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:23 am

Re: Iberia first A350 destinations?

Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:20 pm

NickolayAv wrote:
marcoantona wrote:
During the announcement of IB's addiotional frequencies to EZE they said JFK and BOS would be the first routes.
For EZE and SCL they said they would wait for more frames to come in.

Do you know if this will result in frequency being decreased because it is a larger aircraft?

MAD-JFK is served with A333 along with BOS so I don't think there would be much of a "larger aircraft" argument in the first place, especially since A359 is basically an A333-sized aircraft for long haul (replacing A343 in Airbus' catalogue).

Michael
 
User avatar
Jayafe
Posts: 1229
Joined: Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:12 pm

Re: Iberia first A350 destinations?

Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:34 pm

eamondzhang wrote:
NickolayAv wrote:
marcoantona wrote:
During the announcement of IB's addiotional frequencies to EZE they said JFK and BOS would be the first routes.
For EZE and SCL they said they would wait for more frames to come in.

Do you know if this will result in frequency being decreased because it is a larger aircraft?

MAD-JFK is served with A333 along with BOS so I don't think there would be much of a "larger aircraft" argument in the first place, especially since A359 is basically an A333-sized aircraft for long haul (replacing A343 in Airbus' catalogue).

Michael


You are wrong as you are ignoring seat distribution. IB will put 348 seats on its A350 (31J, 24Y+, 293Y) , I think that is not a "basically A333 sized aircraft" regarding capacity, as IB's have 291 (29J, 21Y+, 241Y). Unless for you a 20% growth in capacity means "same plane".
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Posts: 11936
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Iberia first A350 destinations?

Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:17 pm

Please keep to the topic and keep the personal comments towards one another out of the discussion otherwise the thread will be locked
 
kelual
Posts: 59
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:18 am

Re: Iberia first A350 destinations?

Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:20 pm

n729pa wrote:
When are they due to start taking delivery of them?
I'm certainly hoping to see them on the LHR run sometime too.

The 1st of june 2018 is the date chosen for IBs A350 first flight
Last edited by kelual on Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
jmmadrid
Posts: 381
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:00 pm

Re: Iberia first A350 destinations?

Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:29 pm

Back in the 70's and 80´s and maybe part of the 90's, when IBERIA was stated-owned, the cabin crews had a reputation of being unfriendly and in many cases bad tempered.

However, since IAG bought the company things have changed 180º. The new crews are very friendly and -surprisingly- many of them try to engage in small talk with passengers while serving them. I've had four very good flights with them in the last few months.

I believe the only area where they still need to improve is their English. I heard "some" of them answering to passengers' questions and it was a bit embarrassing. I want to clarify that it was only some of them, as others were perfectly fine.
 
eamondzhang
Posts: 1943
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:23 am

Re: Iberia first A350 destinations?

Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:46 pm

Jayafe wrote:
eamondzhang wrote:
NickolayAv wrote:
Do you know if this will result in frequency being decreased because it is a larger aircraft?

MAD-JFK is served with A333 along with BOS so I don't think there would be much of a "larger aircraft" argument in the first place, especially since A359 is basically an A333-sized aircraft for long haul (replacing A343 in Airbus' catalogue).

Michael


You are wrong as you are ignoring seat distribution. IB will put 348 seats on its A350 (31J, 24Y+, 293Y) , I think that is not a "basically A333 sized aircraft" regarding capacity, as IB's have 291 (29J, 21Y+, 241Y). Unless for you a 20% growth in capacity means "same plane".

If you pay close attention you'll find that the most growth on seat counts come from Y class' 3-3-3 arrangements instead of 2-4-2. This also applies to the majority of other A350 operators.

Michael
 
a350lover
Topic Author
Posts: 993
Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:21 am

Re: Iberia first A350 destinations?

Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:47 pm

kelual wrote:
The 1st of june 2018 is the date chosen for IBs A350 first flight


Is that on the news anywhere? Couldn't find it, and when you look at their routes on the website, they all seem to be operated still with the current long-haul fleet.

Surely Iberia has a strategy I don't know about, but I woulnd't put this ultimate model, truly cool, in a route like BOS, which IMO does not mean that much for its network. Unless they truly can't use it for anywhere else due to rotations/limitations until fully implemented to the fleet.

We'll see ...
 
User avatar
Jayafe
Posts: 1229
Joined: Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:12 pm

Re: Iberia first A350 destinations?

Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:55 pm

eamondzhang wrote:
If you pay close attention you'll find that the most growth on seat counts come from Y class' 3-3-3 arrangements instead of 2-4-2. This also applies to the majority of other A350 operators.

Michael


Which is still a 20% growth in the number of seats from one plane to the other, which might (or might not) affect to the frequencies offer as stated above.
 
dcajet
Posts: 5065
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:31 am

Re: Iberia first A350 destinations?

Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:00 pm

smi0006 wrote:
Will IB be introducing a new J product or will it remain the same? Maybe time for new uniforms too! Yeah


IB just rolled out a new business class, as well as a new premium Y. The new A350s are being delivered with that hardware fitted in. Highly doubt we will see new hardware until 3-5 years from now.

a350lover wrote:
I would say GRU could potentially become 2x daily at some point. In fact, they are adding some extra weekly frequencies to GIG, while GRU has a lot of more potential in terms of J pax. Not sure how much freedom has Iberia because of the codeshare agreement with LATAM.

MEX became 3x daily some days the last S17. However, it looks like they won't be repeating the operation next S18. Maybe it didn't well?


GRU used to be 2x daily on some days before the Brazilian crisis hit. I am sure at some point we will see IB get back to growth mode there. It is not so much lack of traffic - Sao Paulo generates enormous demand for travel, but, rather, that yields continue to be depressed since the crisis and it will take some time for them to return to pre-crisis levels.
 
User avatar
yochai
Posts: 287
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:19 pm

Re: Iberia first A350 destinations?

Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:03 pm

a350lover wrote:
yochai wrote:
From internal info we should be seeing A350 to TLV as well this year ( Just like the 333 when it was first delivered)


Makes sense. This route has been transferred to the A330 fleet anyway, right?


Yes.Operation moves to daily A332 from March 1st
 
migair54
Posts: 2492
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:24 am

Re: Iberia first A350 destinations?

Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:26 pm

dcajet wrote:
smi0006 wrote:
Will IB be introducing a new J product or will it remain the same? Maybe time for new uniforms too! Yeah


IB just rolled out a new business class, as well as a new premium Y. The new A350s are being delivered with that hardware fitted in. Highly doubt we will see new hardware until 3-5 years from now.

a350lover wrote:
I would say GRU could potentially become 2x daily at some point. In fact, they are adding some extra weekly frequencies to GIG, while GRU has a lot of more potential in terms of J pax. Not sure how much freedom has Iberia because of the codeshare agreement with LATAM.

MEX became 3x daily some days the last S17. However, it looks like they won't be repeating the operation next S18. Maybe it didn't well?


GRU used to be 2x daily on some days before the Brazilian crisis hit. I am sure at some point we will see IB get back to growth mode there. It is not so much lack of traffic - Sao Paulo generates enormous demand for travel, but, rather, that yields continue to be depressed since the crisis and it will take some time for them to return to pre-crisis levels.

I don't think we will see any of the previous Brazil flights back soon, but it's big market and IB has a great position to connect SA and Europa, and ifIB add more Asia flights then we might see more freqs in the future.

how does the ETOPS certification works when introducing the A350 in the case of IB??? Do they get the same ETOPS IB has currently for the A330??
I think for crew training the A350 will be doing some LHR and Canary Islands flights and doing the East Coast of the USA seem logical so they can do a daily rotation per plane.
 
EddieDude
Posts: 7048
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2003 10:19 am

Re: Iberia first A350 destinations?

Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:09 pm

marcoantona wrote:
During the announcement of IB's addiotional frequencies to EZE they said JFK and BOS would be the first routes.

Interesting. I would have imagined that the 2-class A333 was more than enough (in terms of seats) for IB's MAD-BOS. In any case, congrats to BOS for this new A359 route!

dcajet wrote:
The issue with flying to EZE and MEX is that Iberia needs two frames to maintain daily service. Thus it is easier to introduce the A350 on flights to the US East Coat, where Iberia can maintain a daily rotation with one frame while familiarizing flight and ground crews with the new plane.

Very good point. In any case, I think MEX will be one of the first IB Latin American routes to receive the A359. AM is now flying the 789 to MAD, which features full-flat 1-2-1 seating in J, so this should give IB the incentive to throw its newest product at MEX. AR's EZE-MAD on the other hand features 2-2-2 with angled-flat seats in J, so IB should not be as hard pressed to send a newer product to EZE.

a350lover wrote:
MEX became 3x daily some days the last S17. However, it looks like they won't be repeating the operation next S18. Maybe it didn't well?

Well, I am sure the demand is there. However, so many seats may have depressed yields. I guess it is wiser to limit the offer of seats a bit in order to maintain the profitability of two daily flights. In other words, maybe for IB it is more profitable to send two full A346s to MEX on a daily basis during the busiest times of the year, filled with pax who paid more expensive fares on average, than to send some days of the week three A346s (full or less than full) where many passengers paid cheap fares or are traveling on award seats.
 
clrd4t8koff
Posts: 1819
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2005 3:57 am

Re: Iberia first A350 destinations?

Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:59 am

a350lover wrote:
kelual wrote:
The 1st of june 2018 is the date chosen for IBs A350 first flight


Is that on the news anywhere? Couldn't find it, and when you look at their routes on the website, they all seem to be operated still with the current long-haul fleet.

Surely Iberia has a strategy I don't know about, but I woulnd't put this ultimate model, truly cool, in a route like BOS, which IMO does not mean that much for its network. Unless they truly can't use it for anywhere else due to rotations/limitations until fully implemented to the fleet.

We'll see ...


So a city that's one of the largest financial centers in the world, a huge medical and biotech hub, multiple world renowned universities and a huge tech hub does not mean much for IB's network?! Ha! What an ignorant comment.

BOS is a very important station not just for IB, but IAG as a whole. You clearly aren't aware of that.
 
User avatar
gatibosgru
Posts: 1794
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:48 pm

Re: Iberia first A350 destinations?

Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:33 am

MAD-BOS sounds like a prime candidate for the A350 along with MAD-GRU.
 
amadorE175
Posts: 199
Joined: Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:25 pm

Re: Iberia first A350 destinations?

Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:55 am

clrd4t8koff wrote:
a350lover wrote:
kelual wrote:
The 1st of june 2018 is the date chosen for IBs A350 first flight


Is that on the news anywhere? Couldn't find it, and when you look at their routes on the website, they all seem to be operated still with the current long-haul fleet.

Surely Iberia has a strategy I don't know about, but I woulnd't put this ultimate model, truly cool, in a route like BOS, which IMO does not mean that much for its network. Unless they truly can't use it for anywhere else due to rotations/limitations until fully implemented to the fleet.

We'll see ...


So a city that's one of the largest financial centers in the world, a huge medical and biotech hub, multiple world renowned universities and a huge tech hub does not mean much for IB's network?! Ha! What an ignorant comment.

BOS is a very important station not just for IB, but IAG as a whole. You clearly aren't aware of that.


Cool your jets. BOS is all of those things but still be a non-vital part of IB's network. BOS is still only a seasonal destination from MAD.
 
User avatar
N62NA
Posts: 4555
Joined: Sun Aug 10, 2003 1:05 am

Re: Iberia first A350 destinations?

Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:24 am

It's so obvious: MIA, the most important airport in the world!

Just kidding.

I agree with those who have listed some of the major South American destinations. I would think any flights like MAD-ORD/BOS would be short term just to get crews a bit of "short" long-haul training after the initial MAD-LHR-MAD flights.
 
BreezyIAH
Posts: 105
Joined: Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:45 pm

Re: Iberia first A350 destinations?

Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:26 am

SJO, SFO, LAX, PEK, NRT?
 
BreezyIAH
Posts: 105
Joined: Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:45 pm

Re: Iberia first A350 destinations?

Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:28 am

Will they ever do DFW?
 
LupineChemist
Posts: 842
Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:03 am

Re: Iberia first A350 destinations?

Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:19 am

BreezyIAH wrote:
Will they ever do DFW?


Considering it is already served via the JV with AA metal, doubtful anytime soon.
 
LH658
Posts: 1287
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:35 am

Re: Iberia first A350 destinations?

Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:37 am

Probably LAX, must be high maintenance cost for the A346.
 
a350lover
Topic Author
Posts: 993
Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:21 am

Re: Iberia first A350 destinations?

Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:45 am

UX is using its 787 to several of its long-haul routes. If I am right, mainly to MIA, EZE, BOG, LIM, HAV and SDQ, plus TLV often. Considering UX is todays' most direct IBE competitor on these routes, that leaves an idea of where should Iberia show off a bit more its new fleet.

PD. Of course, UX has already an established fleet of 787, which Iberia won't have with the A350 at first.
 
Kadish
Posts: 378
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:36 am

Re: Iberia first A350 destinations?

Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:00 pm

LH658 wrote:
Probably LAX, must be high maintenance cost for the A346.


They send the 332
 
User avatar
DarkSnowyNight
Posts: 2917
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:59 pm

Re: Iberia first A350 destinations?

Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:21 pm

Kadish wrote:
LH658 wrote:
Probably LAX, must be high maintenance cost for the A346.


They send the 332


And the 346 for much of the year. LA is pretty decent for yeilds for most carriers as well as being the world's largest O&D station. If you're any kind of serious airline, and within reasonable load range, LA is getting your flagship. You'd be crazy not to.
 
Kadish
Posts: 378
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:36 am

Re: Iberia first A350 destinations?

Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:30 pm

DarkSnowyNight wrote:
Kadish wrote:
LH658 wrote:
Probably LAX, must be high maintenance cost for the A346.


They send the 332


And the 346 for much of the year. LA is pretty decent for yeilds for most carriers as well as being the world's largest O&D station. If you're any kind of serious airline, and within reasonable load range, LA is getting your flagship. You'd be crazy not to.


I don’t think that being serious or not do not depend on serving LAX.
For instance LAX is not the primary hub of any of the biggest american Airlines.
 
User avatar
NeBaNi
Posts: 501
Joined: Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:45 am

Re: Iberia first A350 destinations?

Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:33 am

BreezyIAH wrote:
SJO, SFO, LAX, PEK, NRT?

LH658 wrote:
Probably LAX, must be high maintenance cost for the A346.

I would love to see IB's A350s at LAX, even if it means the loss of the beautiful A340s :cry2:
 
dcajet
Posts: 5065
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:31 am

Re: Iberia first A350 destinations?

Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:46 am

DarkSnowyNight wrote:
Kadish wrote:
LH658 wrote:
Probably LAX, must be high maintenance cost for the A346.


They send the 332

LA is pretty decent for yeilds for most carriers as well as being the world's largest O&D station.


I thought NYC was the world's largest O&D market...
 
User avatar
DarkSnowyNight
Posts: 2917
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:59 pm

Re: Iberia first A350 destinations?

Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:06 am

dcajet wrote:
DarkSnowyNight wrote:
Kadish wrote:

They send the 332

LA is pretty decent for yeilds for most carriers as well as being the world's largest O&D station.


I thought NYC was the world's largest O&D market...



That should have read LAX. NYC is marginally bigger, but it's also three airports.

In any case, the larger point is that if an airline can't send their biggest and best to the dozen or so alpha class markets out there (of which NYC is certainly one), not much reason to be an international player. Technical abilities notwithstanding...


NeBaNi wrote:
BreezyIAH wrote:
SJO, SFO, LAX, PEK, NRT?

LH658 wrote:
Probably LAX, must be high maintenance cost for the A346.

I would love to see IB's A350s at LAX, even if it means the loss of the beautiful A340s :cry2:


I do have a bad feeling it will be a trade. But hey, maybe they'll do what IAG do for BA. They send 380 and 744. IB still could alternate given capacity similarities between the 346 and 359.


Kadish wrote:
DarkSnowyNight wrote:
Kadish wrote:

They send the 332


And the 346 for much of the year. LA is pretty decent for yeilds for most carriers as well as being the world's largest O&D station. If you're any kind of serious airline, and within reasonable load range, LA is getting your flagship. You'd be crazy not to.


I don’t think that being serious or not do not depend on serving LAX.
For instance LAX is not the primary hub of any of the biggest american Airlines.


LAX isn't a "primary" hub for the US3 &WN because it can't be. There simply isn't the space for one to dominate until another abdicates. However, you need to remember that there are five major focus operations here, the three largest of which are the equivalents of most other hub operations out there. This is not duplicated elsewhere.

Between the sheer scale of our O&D market and the fact that every major alliance operate huge stations there, there's no marketing/branding reason not to send the best product you can. It's a very similar situation (although there are slight operational dissimilarities), to what you find in NYC, LON, etc.
 
pabloeing
Posts: 594
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:00 pm

Re: Iberia first A350 destinations?

Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:46 am

in a few days start the first IB A350 production.......maybe IB said the first destination.
 
himarhernandez
Posts: 103
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:03 pm

Re: Iberia first A350 destinations?

Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:11 pm

I remember reading Iberia's press release that Chicago ORD was going to be their first A350 destination. I tried to look for it and had no luck finding it.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos