alan3
Topic Author

Flair Airlines first aircraft in new livery, plans expansion as ULCC

Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:24 am

Flair Airlines has put into service their first aircraft painted in the new livery. Thoughts?

Aircraft (C-FLRS) one of 2 former Alaska Airlines 737-400's that were added to the Flair fleet this past October.

As per https://worldairlinenews.com/2017/12/26/flair-airlines-new-look-the-first-boeing-737-400-is-painted/

Here is the rather bland former livery Image

Also, they are apparently planning to add 2 more 734's in 2018 and another 4 in 2019 but the model type not announced I don't think.

(As per http://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/flair-airlines-set-to-paint-the-skies-in-new-colours-665300403.html)

wedgetail737

Re: Flair Airlines first aircraft in new livery, plans expansion as ULCC

Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:59 am

Will Flair attempt any service to the US?

alan3
Topic Author

Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:28 am

Possibly in the future but I would say their main goal at the moment is trying to get some sort of lasting hold onto the Canadian domestic air market, which is littered with a large graveyard of failed low-cost carriers.

We should note that none of the ULCC carriers in the US (Allegiant, Spirit, Frontier) fly to Canada either.

Canuck600

Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:38 am

Would have looked better if they had kept both Flair & Airlines on the same row, having them split by the windows is too jarring & disrupting but thats probably just me.

TWA302

Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:48 pm

Reminds me of Arik

dabpit

Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:03 pm

alan3 wrote:
We should note that none of the ULCC carriers in the US (Allegiant, Spirit, Frontier) fly to Canada either.

Not correct, starting May 31, 2018, Frontier will start flying DEN-YYC.
Carpe Diem

MartyMcFlyYYC

Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:56 pm

Canuck600 wrote:
Would have looked better if they had kept both Flair & Airlines on the same row, having them split by the windows is too jarring & disrupting but thats probably just me.

Agreed. Looks a bit weird to me too.

I hope it works out for Flair. More competition is always welcome. But it's going to be tough sledding for them. It's amazing to go onto Wikipedia and see how many Canadian airline startups have gone broke over the past 30 years.

STLflyer

Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:01 pm

That aircraft is missing it's minimum 15 pieces of flair.

TWA302

Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:28 pm

STLflyer wrote:

Well played.....

cledaybuck

Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:54 pm

STLflyer wrote:
I was going to say, does anyone not think of Office Space when they hear this airlines name?
As we celebrate mediocrity, all the boys upstairs want to see, how much you'll pay for what you used to get for free.

N766UA

Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:01 pm

TWA302 wrote:
Reminds me of Arik

Logo’s spot on, too

ACCS300

Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:31 pm

Font is horrible, livery is poorly thought-through and cheap looking. Lots of market confusion over this airline, launched as New Leaf with lots of press and hype and quietly changed to Flair ( it's parent ) after just a few months, doesn't instil a lot of confidence IMO, especially in a market where LCC's typically last mere months.

yegbey01

Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:34 pm

wedgetail737 wrote:

They had planned to serve Phoenix-Mesa airport last year. But WS introduced the service and Newleaf (which they were called at the time) decided to kill the service.

I think if they survive the next 12 months, I can see them offering Phoenix and potentially LAS in fall 2018.

SuperTwin

Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:25 pm

Keep in mind their LCC market pie is about to get split up a few more different ways.

Swoop and jetlines coming into the fray soon along with AC Rouge entering more domestic lanes.
SuperTwin

Dominion301

Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:39 pm

alan3 wrote:
Flair Airlines has put into service their first aircraft painted in the new livery. Thoughts?

Aircraft (C-FLRS) one of 2 former Alaska Airlines 737-400's that were added to the Flair fleet this past October.

As per https://worldairlinenews.com/2017/12/26/flair-airlines-new-look-the-first-boeing-737-400-is-painted/

Also, they are apparently planning to add 2 more 734's in 2018 and another 4 in 2019 but the model type not announced I don't think.

(As per http://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/flair-airlines-set-to-paint-the-skies-in-new-colours-665300403.html)

It says their next two aircraft will be 738s.

Now that YVR and YYZ are on the map at Flair, will they ever add the 2nd, 4th and 5th largest cities in Canada (I.e. YUL, YYC and YOW)?

yegbey01

Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:00 pm

^ In 2016, the YEG metro area overtook YOW's metro by almost 50,000 inhabitants. So technically, YOW is now number 6 in the country.

iseeyyc

Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:06 pm

Yeesh, one of those stock template designs again. How confident can they be in their new venture if they are only willing to use the $99 logo mill?

PatrickZ80

Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:21 pm

At least the new livery looks better than the old one (that one was really outdated), but that's all that can be said about it. And let's not forget that it's an LCC, so it shouldn't look too expensive. I think the rear section is actually rather nice, only the front could be done better.

northstardc4m

Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:26 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
At least the new livery looks better than the old one (that one was really outdated), but that's all that can be said about it. And let's not forget that it's an LCC, so it shouldn't look too expensive. I think the rear section is actually rather nice, only the front could be done better.

Well since the old one started as a quick design over the cheat line for Kelowna Flightcraft to match a one-off tail "Leaving on a Jet Plane" 727-200 before it became the first "Flair" plane... pretty much anything would be better!

Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

MikeKelly

Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:28 pm

N766UA wrote:
TWA302 wrote:
Reminds me of Arik

Logo’s spot on, too

tjcab

Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:40 pm

Canuck600 wrote:

Yes indeed, plus the whole thing makes the [large] 737 tail look tiny. I don't like it. Over-styled, IMO, of course.

jmt18325

Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:41 pm

ACCS300 wrote:
Font is horrible, livery is poorly thought-through and cheap looking. Lots of market confusion over this airline, launched as New Leaf with lots of press and hype and quietly changed to Flair ( it's parent ) after just a few months, doesn't instil a lot of confidence IMO, especially in a market where LCC's typically last mere months.

That's not quite what happened - NewLeaf was paying Flair to operate flights for them. They basically went bust, and Flair bought them, continuing the operations under their own banner.

Canuck600

Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:31 pm

Yes what jmt18325 posted is what happened..

BillyD

Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:52 pm

SuperTwin wrote:
Keep in mind their LCC market pie is about to get split up a few more different ways.

Swoop and jetlines coming into the fray soon along with AC Rouge entering more domestic lanes.

AC Rouge is not an LCC. Air Canada simply charges the same rates as their mainline service and try to pass it off as a 'bargain'.

alan3
Topic Author

Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:56 pm

BillyD wrote:
SuperTwin wrote:

AC Rouge is not an LCC. Air Canada simply charges the same rates as their mainline service and try to pass it off as a 'bargain'.

I guess some might classify Rouge as LCC due to things like: no business class, smaller seat pitch than mainline, no IFE, lower staffing costs (lower F/A salaries), etc.

AAvgeek744

Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:54 pm

wedgetail737 wrote:

Given the lack of success by other carriers trying to go up against AC and WS, they probably ought concentrate on making a legitimate, competitive option in Canada before venturing across the border.

robsaw

Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:28 am

alan3 wrote:
BillyD wrote:
SuperTwin wrote:

I guess some might classify Rouge as LCC due to things like: no business class, smaller seat pitch than mainline, no IFE, lower staffing costs (lower F/A salaries), etc.

Rouge is absolutely LCC (for AC) - not necessarily the same as Low Price Carrier (LPC). For AC this is also known as HPC (High Profitability Carrier).

Westjet still plays the same card (although in a more subtle way) that they are lower price than AC - I do expect that Swoop will be lest pricey than mainline Westjet (as long as passenger stays away from most ancillary charges).

Flair has an uphill battle to win sustainable market-share.

And, lastly, livery looks fine to me - for an LCC, why would they spend huge gobs of money on a design and painting costs - the multi-colours, shapes and stencils must already cost more than they'd typically like to pay - but if you have new aircraft needing a common paint-job anyway.

Dominion301

Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:15 am

yegbey01 wrote:
^ In 2016, the YEG metro area overtook YOW's metro by almost 50,000 inhabitants. So technically, YOW is now number 6 in the country.

Not according to 2016 census figures:
YEG: 1,321,426
YOW: 1,323,783

There’s a good chance Edmonton will surpass Ottawa by the 2021 census, but for now Edmonton is still #6...even if it’s only a difference of approx. 2,500.

jmt18325

Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:51 am

The census figures are actually less accurate than the Statscan population estimates because of under-counting and various other factors:

http://www.statcan.gc.ca/tables-tableau ... 5a-eng.htm

jimbo737

Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:02 pm

Three management changes in 18 months, operating one of the most inappropriate airframes I can think of for ULCC operations. It’s a match made in heaven.

https://raymondjames.bluematrix.com/sel ... ource=mail

jnev3289

Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:51 pm

jimbo737 wrote:
Three management changes in 18 months, operating one of the most inappropriate airframes I can think of for ULCC operations. It’s a match made in heaven.

https://raymondjames.bluematrix.com/sel ... ource=mail

You still have to give them credit for lasting this long. I thought they'd be long gone by now.

Metjetceo

Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:28 pm

One thing I would add. I used to fly Flair to/from the oil fields for work and they do a pretty good job. Assuming that O&G workers represent a decent portion of the market they are targeting(Particularly with expendable income) they already have brand awareness. I think anyone that use to go to work in the oil sands and other key oil assets have flown on Flair many times as they rotated on/off their rotations in the fields.

FA9295

Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:38 pm

wedgetail737 wrote:

I think awhile back, they filed for service from Calgary/Edmonton to Phoenix (can't remember whether or not it was AZA or PHX) but the service never happened... The service was to be operated by NewLeaf airlines.

flyb

Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:30 pm

Flair announced this morning their anticipated route expansion.

Schedule highlights (new directs):

Toronto to: Halifax;
Winnipeg to: Calgary, Vancouver;
Saskatoon to: Edmonton;
Calgary to: Vancouver, Winnipeg;
Edmonton to: Saskatoon, Prince George, Victoria;
Prince George to: Vancouver, Edmonton;
Vancouver to: Prince George; and
Victoria to: Edmonton
Additionally, the frequency on almost every route we currently serve has grown with this new schedule.

https://www.skiesmag.com/press-releases ... th-target/

WaywardMemphian

Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:46 pm

Do the flight attendants say WOOooo! On take off and landing?

jimbo737

Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:20 pm

They've learned absolutely nothing.

Antarius

Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:24 pm

I am disappointed they didn't just go with flAIR.

Flair airlines seems to redundant
2019: SIN HKG NRT DFW IAH HOU CLT LGA JFK SFO SJC EWR SNA EYW MIA BOG LAX ORD DTW OAK PVG BOS DCA IAD ATL LAS BIS CUN PHX OAK SYD CVG PHL MAD ORY CDG SLC SJU BQN MHT YYZ STS BIS DOH BLR MAA KTM

berari

Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:52 pm

TWA302 wrote:
Reminds me of Arik

That's it. I was scratching my head and bingo, that's what it is.

wedgetail737 wrote:

Let's see if they will attempt to stay afloat where they are now. It's a tough ride.

ACCS300 wrote:

Even 3rd world basic low cost airline FastJet has a funky and attractive livery. There's nothing attractive about this Flair livery. I have flown them once to Vancouver and the interior left so much more to be desired. A basic euro white livery with a nice font flair name would have done.

Notice how they have also painted the rims blue.

Dominion301

Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:40 pm

flyb wrote:

Additionally, the frequency on almost every route we currently serve has grown with this new schedule.

Nice to see (sarcasm) that Flair apparently have never heard of Ottawa and Montreal.

YULACYYZ

Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:44 pm

Dominion301 wrote:
flyb wrote:

Nice to see (sarcasm) that Flair apparently have never heard of Ottawa and Montreal.

Maybe they are short of bilingual staff!

YULACYYZ

Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:47 pm

BillyD wrote:
SuperTwin wrote:

That is simply not true! Rouge has a mixed of lower fare structure than the mainline. Air Canada just upgraded their fares level with a new basic enonomy to compete with the ULCC.

And best of luck to Flair!

Jamake1

Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:02 pm

ACCS300 wrote:

As a new Canadian start-up, I thought New Leaf was a clever name. The airline in its current form is uninspiring.
Come fly the sun.

spinkid

Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:28 pm

Also reminds me of Orient Thai. I hope they fair better than them.

VonRichtofen

Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:29 pm

I just tried a dummy booking on Flair's website. YYC-YVR in mid June. Without paying for any carry-on or checked baggage it can be had for as low as $160 with tax. Add in Carry-on bag and it goes to $190. This is roundtrip.

Does anybody know how Flair's cost structure is compared to others like WS and AC?

Skywatcher

Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:53 pm

How does Toronto-Halifax work? There are no other routings east of Winnipeg.

freakyrat

Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:25 pm

alan3 wrote:

They certainly have a flair for color and style.

jimbo737

Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:38 pm

VonRichtofen wrote:
I just tried a dummy booking on Flair's website. YYC-YVR in mid June. Without paying for any carry-on or checked baggage it can be had for as low as $160 with tax. Add in Carry-on bag and it goes to $190. This is roundtrip.

Does anybody know how Flair's cost structure is compared to others like WS and AC?

Let's put it this way.

If WJ thought they could operate with lower costs by acquiring 20 year old 737-400's with 156, (or even 189), seat configuration, don't you think they'd have already done it?

I wouldn't think of starting an LCC/ULCC with the 737-400. Forgetting about any economy of scale issues, Swoops CASM will be at least 10% lower than Flair's and about 23% below Rouge's A319 fleet.

Trying to operate reliably from coast to coast with that sort of small fleet size with that sort of aged jet? They haven't learned a thing.

A duck with a lawn chair strapped to its back makes money in Canada in the summer. It's a cliff after Labor Day.

It's never a good idea to build a church for Easter Sunday, especially when there's no cash in the bank to keep the sharks at bay.

8-)

yzfElite

Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:29 am

jimbo737 wrote:

Trying to operate reliably from coast to coast with that sort of small fleet size with that sort of aged jet? They haven't learned a thing.

8-)

I'd be shocked if they are around long-term, however one must remember that WS built themselves up flying 732s and a similar model. I think the market is far different now and it will be very hard for them to compete with the big 2, but not necessarily because of their choice of aircraft. 7F/5T/4N have had varying degrees of success with similar vintage, 4N in particular seems to do very well.

Jetsouth

Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:04 am

It is also interesting to note that Flair has not expanded out of Hamilton, which was supposed to be their major Ontario hub. In fact, last year they had a flight from Hamilton to Halifax, which now seems to have been replaced with a new flight from Toronto to Halifax. One may also recall that Westjet originally also had Hamilton as their major Ontario hub which they quickly abandoned for Toronto. Will Flair do the same? Is it really worthwhile to have expanded operations out of Hamilton? Seems to be that the higher costs of flying out of Toronto are offset by higher passenger loads?

CFWAD

Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:21 am

7F/5T/4N are a completely different breed of airline compared to what F8 is attempting to become. Their utilization is much less than what Flair is attempting, keeping their costs relatively low. All 4 also have charter work to help pad the finances.

I often tire of the teal-tinted verbiage of jimbo, but in this case he is absolutely correct. The cost structure alone is going to bury them post-labour day. Then you must add on their terrible reputation for OTP and customer service as a scheduled airline thus far. According to SkyTrax, both Flair and Air Koryo share the same "1 star airline" designation.

The only way Flair will survive the fall/winter/spring is if they have significant charter work to help offset the scheduled service. That may keep them afloat but is a terrible business plan for mid/long-term sustainability.

I do wish them the best, but man was there a MUCH better way to initiate this business plan. And, unlike JR, the new guy (owner - not Jim Scott) doesn't have the same relation/connection so when the tanks run dry, I am certain he will just cut his losses. I hope I'm wrong but I won't be surprised.
CaVOK
A300.310.319.320.321.332.333.343.B722.732.733.734.735.736.73G.738.739.742.74M.752.762.763.772.773.779.CR2.CR7.DC9.DC10.DH1.DH3.DH4.E135.E175. E195.MD83

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos