Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
F27500
Topic Author
Posts: 831
Joined: Sun May 07, 2017 12:52 am

TK .. Istanbul-Havana

Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:33 am

.. See this being a new route they're flying ..I just have to ask ... why ???

Turkey to Cuba ??
 
User avatar
LAXintl
Posts: 25266
Joined: Wed May 24, 2000 12:12 pm

Re: TK .. Istanbul-Havana

Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:03 am

Well its not exactly "new", it's been operating since 2016.

But answer as to why is because it's a popular and increasingly trendy vacation spot.

Turkish authorities only last week requested additional frequencies from Cuba beyond current 3x weekly including new authority to additional cities in Cuba as well.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California
 
User avatar
enilria
Posts: 10410
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:15 pm

Re: TK .. Istanbul-Havana

Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:13 am

LAXintl wrote:
Well its not exactly "new", it's been operating since 2016.

But answer as to why is because it's a popular and increasingly trendy vacation spot.

Turkish authorities only last week requested additional frequencies from Cuba beyond current 3x weekly including new authority to additional cities in Cuba as well.

I'm always impressed with your knowledge of the regulatory side of the industry.
 
[email protected]
Posts: 16616
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2001 6:29 pm

Re: TK .. Istanbul-Havana

Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:19 am

It routes IST-HAV-CCS-IST.

LAX, would you happen to know the key connecting markets?
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."
 
User avatar
chepos
Posts: 7279
Joined: Sat Dec 02, 2000 9:40 am

Re: TK .. Istanbul-Havana

Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:52 am

The only puzzling thing about this route is the CCS stop on the return to IST. Nonstop on the return would make this route even better. Can’t imagine CCS in the current environment adding too much.
Fly the Flag!!!!
 
User avatar
flyingclrs727
Posts: 2758
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:44 am

Re: TK .. Istanbul-Havana

Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:58 am

LAXintl wrote:
Well its not exactly "new", it's been operating since 2016.

But answer as to why is because it's a popular and increasingly trendy vacation spot.

Turkish authorities only last week requested additional frequencies from Cuba beyond current 3x weekly including new authority to additional cities in Cuba as well.


Why add additional cities in Cuba when HVN isn't even a stand alone route?
 
SCQ83
Posts: 5853
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:32 pm

Re: TK .. Istanbul-Havana

Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:31 am

I wonder which kind of traffic they get.

I have seen Havana featured in TK adds in the street in Central Europe.

That means that they are looking to compete with the likes of Eurowings flying VRA-DUS (or even IB/UX for HAV-MAD-DUS) versus HAV-CCS-IST-DUS. I smell cheap TATL in typical TK’s fashion.
 
usflyer msp
Posts: 4052
Joined: Tue May 23, 2000 11:50 am

Re: TK .. Istanbul-Havana

Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:41 pm

I always thought the main market on this route was Caracas. Havana was added primarily because getting enough fuel to fly to IST in CCS can be an major issue - filling up some of the empty seats with tourists and Russian/Chinese businesspeople is just an added plus.
 
a350lover
Posts: 953
Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:21 am

Re: TK .. Istanbul-Havana

Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:28 pm

AY also flies HAV-HEL seasonal 2x weekly. Another interesting connection, maybe moving leisure + traffic towards Asia.
 
TravelsUK
Posts: 143
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:07 pm

Re: TK .. Istanbul-Havana

Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:49 pm

But answer as to why is because it's a popular and increasingly trendy vacation spot.[/quote]

Scheduled flights and charters from Europe have been operating to Cuba since the late 80's, Cuba has been a very popular destination for sunseekers throughout the world for decades, it's just Americans that have a 'thing' about Cuba and have no understanding of the beauty of the country, the great hotels and the friendly people that live there.

If TK feel they can sell seats to HAV then good luck to them!
757 flights 1 378 350 km 34.4x around earth 2024 h 18 min 74.3 days 12.0 weeks
 
dcajet
Posts: 4868
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:31 am

Re: TK .. Istanbul-Havana

Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:55 pm

chepos wrote:
The only puzzling thing about this route is the CCS stop on the return to IST. Nonstop on the return would make this route even better. Can’t imagine CCS in the current environment adding too much.


Actually, with the right capacity and yield management in place, CCS can be a goldmine these days if the airline can stomach the walk on the wild side that operating in Venezuela these days is. Not for the faint of heart, for sure. Turkish operates in worse places than CCS, such as Mogadishu.

Keep in mind all sales happen outside of Venezuela, and even Venezuelans wishing to travel from CCS on any foreign airline must purchase the tickets abroad or on an OTA with a foreign issued credit/debit card.
Keep calm and wash your hands.
 
User avatar
mercure1
Posts: 5142
Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:13 am

Re: TK .. Istanbul-Havana

Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:02 pm

I have seen TK advertise its Cuba flights in France, so its certainly likely they receive customers from all around Europe.

Does not seem strange they service Havana to me. Really no different than their service offerings to other popular beach markets like Maldives, Seychelles, and Phuket.
mercure f-wtcc
 
User avatar
TK787
Posts: 4706
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2006 3:43 am

Re: TK .. Istanbul-Havana

Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:22 pm

From what I know:
-Sun and Culture. Turkish friends love spending time in Cuba, for many years. And now they can do it with TK. They love the culture, music and value. On the other hand, I never hear my friends travel to any other Caribbean destinations like PR, DR, USVI, Aruba, Martinique... always Cuba.
-Recently, I also hear friends traveling to Cuba for cancer treatment.
 
User avatar
LAXintl
Posts: 25266
Joined: Wed May 24, 2000 12:12 pm

Re: TK .. Istanbul-Havana

Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:56 pm

As mentioned by others, TK manages connection traffic from across Europe, CIS, Mid East and even the Far East to Cuba.

For Caracas, TK has smartly managed to backfill capacity as others have pulled out of Venezuela. Matter of fact in early December they requested authority to increase frequencies to 5x weekly starting Q1 2018 from current 3x to serve this demand.
http://globovision.com/article/venezuel ... s-estambul
https://iberoeconomia.es/internacional/ ... -estambul/
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California
 
User avatar
jfklganyc
Posts: 6311
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2004 2:31 pm

Re: TK .. Istanbul-Havana

Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:57 pm

TravelsUK wrote:
But answer as to why is because it's a popular and increasingly trendy vacation spot.


Scheduled flights and charters from Europe have been operating to Cuba since the late 80's, Cuba has been a very popular destination for sunseekers throughout the world for decades, it's just Americans that have a 'thing' about Cuba and have no understanding of the beauty of the country, the great hotels and the friendly people that live there.

If TK feel they can sell seats to HAV then good luck to them![/quote]


Americans dont have a thing.

Our countries had no relations until a few years ago because they had NUCLEAR warheads pointed at us 50 years ago. Kinda like Japanese going to visit North Korea now. The countries barely have relations now. American embassy staff were recently reduced due to an attack.

Finally, US credit cards do not work in Cuba.

All makes traveling to Cuba for Americans unpalitable at present.

I will gladly say I told you so to all of you guys who were predicting that Cuba route authorities would be great for US carriers.
 
gunnerman
Posts: 1193
Joined: Fri May 19, 2017 7:55 pm

Re: TK .. Istanbul-Havana

Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:30 pm

This circular routing is more commonly seen with charter airlines. Returning direct to IST from CCS saves times and money compared with returning via HAV, but passengers from HAV to IST have to endure a 16h 35m journey.
 
dcajet
Posts: 4868
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:31 am

Re: TK .. Istanbul-Havana

Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:24 pm

gunnerman wrote:
This circular routing is more commonly seen with charter airlines. Returning direct to IST from CCS saves times and money compared with returning via HAV, but passengers from HAV to IST have to endure a 16h 35m journey.


Well, HAV is not a particularly high yielding destination and CCS has been left with a capacity deficit since a good number of airlines left the market, so a triangular flight seems quite reasonable given the circumstances of both markets.
Keep calm and wash your hands.
 
luckyone
Posts: 3776
Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:50 pm

Re: TK .. Istanbul-Havana

Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:45 pm

jfklganyc wrote:
TravelsUK wrote:
But answer as to why is because it's a popular and increasingly trendy vacation spot.


Scheduled flights and charters from Europe have been operating to Cuba since the late 80's, Cuba has been a very popular destination for sunseekers throughout the world for decades, it's just Americans that have a 'thing' about Cuba and have no understanding of the beauty of the country, the great hotels and the friendly people that live there.

If TK feel they can sell seats to HAV then good luck to them!



Americans dont have a thing.

Our countries had no relations until a few years ago because they had NUCLEAR warheads pointed at us 50 years ago. Kinda like Japanese going to visit North Korea now. The countries barely have relations now. American embassy staff were recently reduced due to an attack.

Finally, US credit cards do not work in Cuba.

All makes traveling to Cuba for Americans unpalitable at present.

I will gladly say I told you so to all of you guys who were predicting that Cuba route authorities would be great for US carriers.[/quote]
I’ve always found the US attitude toward Cuba very odd when looked at solely in the context of the Cuban Missile Crisis, especially considering the same government didn’t place any restrictions on its citizens traveling to the Soviet Union, the people who put said nuclear warheads in Cuba. And my credit card worked just fine in Russia.

In reality it’s more political than factual. Cuba is a small government that ran afoul of some very monied US interests. And they weren’t big enough to avoid retaliation.
 
User avatar
TK787
Posts: 4706
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2006 3:43 am

Re: TK .. Istanbul-Havana

Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:59 pm

gunnerman wrote:
This circular routing is more commonly seen with charter airlines. Returning direct to IST from CCS saves times and money compared with returning via HAV, but passengers from HAV to IST have to endure a 16h 35m journey.

Historically, TK likes to test the waters with these circular routings. They have done it in the past, I remember JNB-CPT and EZE-GRU and few others. If it all works out, they usually separate the cities and try to make it work that way. If not, they try different combinations. It is not ideal, but this is what seems to work for TK.
 
User avatar
flyingclrs727
Posts: 2758
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:44 am

Re: TK .. Istanbul-Havana

Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:01 pm

usflyer msp wrote:
I always thought the main market on this route was Caracas. Havana was added primarily because getting enough fuel to fly to IST in CCS can be an major issue - filling up some of the empty seats with tourists and Russian/Chinese businesspeople is just an added plus.


Are you serious? IST-HAV is about 170 miles LONGER han IST-CCS. It's shorter than IST-IAH, IST-SFO, and IST-LAX.
 
usflyer msp
Posts: 4052
Joined: Tue May 23, 2000 11:50 am

Re: TK .. Istanbul-Havana

Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:25 pm

flyingclrs727 wrote:
usflyer msp wrote:
I always thought the main market on this route was Caracas. Havana was added primarily because getting enough fuel to fly to IST in CCS can be an major issue - filling up some of the empty seats with tourists and Russian/Chinese businesspeople is just an added plus.


Are you serious? IST-HAV is about 170 miles LONGER han IST-CCS. It's shorter than IST-IAH, IST-SFO, and IST-LAX.


Fuel in Istanbul is not the problem - fuel in Caracas is. The relative distance does not matter...
 
dcajet
Posts: 4868
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:31 am

Re: TK .. Istanbul-Havana

Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:59 pm

TK787 wrote:
Historically, TK likes to test the waters with these circular routings. They have done it in the past, I remember JNB-CPT and EZE-GRU and few others. If it all works out, they usually separate the cities and try to make it work that way. If not, they try different combinations. It is not ideal, but this is what seems to work for TK.


IST-GRU-EZE has never been a triangular routing.
Keep calm and wash your hands.
 
gunnerman
Posts: 1193
Joined: Fri May 19, 2017 7:55 pm

Re: TK .. Istanbul-Havana

Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:03 pm

usflyer msp wrote:
I always thought the main market on this route was Caracas. Havana was added primarily because getting enough fuel to fly to IST in CCS can be an major issue - filling up some of the empty seats with tourists and Russian/Chinese businesspeople is just an added plus.

My understanding is that the problem with fuel supplied at CCS is that it can be contaminated. Surely the solution is to tanker enough fuel to fly HAV-CCS-HAV without needing to refuel, and then do a the big refueling for HAV-IST.
 
dcajet
Posts: 4868
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:31 am

Re: TK .. Istanbul-Havana

Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:14 am

gunnerman wrote:
usflyer msp wrote:
I always thought the main market on this route was Caracas. Havana was added primarily because getting enough fuel to fly to IST in CCS can be an major issue - filling up some of the empty seats with tourists and Russian/Chinese businesspeople is just an added plus.

My understanding is that the problem with fuel supplied at CCS is that it can be contaminated. Surely the solution is to tanker enough fuel to fly HAV-CCS-HAV without needing to refuel, and then do a the big refueling for HAV-IST.


Fuel contamination @ CCS was one of the reasons (among others) both AR & AV listed for leaving CCS. Most European airlines that sill call at CCS do stop on the way to/from CCS to avoid crew layovers there so they might do some tankering too.
Keep calm and wash your hands.
 
WIederling
Posts: 9986
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2015 2:15 pm

Re: TK .. Istanbul-Havana

Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:06 pm

luckyone wrote:
In reality it’s more political than factual. Cuba is a small government that ran afoul of some very monied US interests. And they weren’t big enough to avoid retaliation.


Yup. Appended by (endless) retaliation for being instrumental to the US loosing that game.
Setting up missile sites on Cuba was the counter move
to stationing US missiles in Eastern Italy and Turkey that could reach Moscow.
Murphy is an optimist
 
NichCage
Posts: 916
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:43 pm

Re: TK .. Istanbul-Havana

Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:21 pm

I don't really understand why TK launched CCS, but it must be working.

While a little off topic, TK does serve a few war zone destinations. Mogadishu is one of the them for example. What kind of market is there in Mogadishu when the country is in an war? Who would even visit Somalia in the first place when it's dangerous?
 
Jetty
Posts: 1381
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:27 pm

Re: TK .. Istanbul-Havana

Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:33 pm

NichCage wrote:
What kind of market is there in Mogadishu when the country is in an war? Who would even visit Somalia in the first place when it's dangerous?

Many European Somali 'refugees' return to Somalia for vacation.
 
User avatar
chepos
Posts: 7279
Joined: Sat Dec 02, 2000 9:40 am

Re: TK .. Istanbul-Havana

Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:55 pm

TK787 wrote:
From what I know:
-Sun and Culture. Turkish friends love spending time in Cuba, for many years. And now they can do it with TK. They love the culture, music and value. On the other hand, I never hear my friends travel to any other Caribbean destinations like PR, DR, USVI, Aruba, Martinique... always Cuba.
-Recently, I also hear friends traveling to Cuba for cancer treatment.



Because it’s an extremely affordable beach vacation and you feel you have traveled 50 years back in time.
Fly the Flag!!!!
 
gunnerman
Posts: 1193
Joined: Fri May 19, 2017 7:55 pm

Re: TK .. Istanbul-Havana

Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:22 pm

TK787 wrote:
From what I know:
-Sun and Culture. Turkish friends love spending time in Cuba, for many years. And now they can do it with TK. They love the culture, music and value. On the other hand, I never hear my friends travel to any other Caribbean destinations like PR, DR, USVI, Aruba, Martinique... always Cuba.

As HAV is TK's sole Caribbean destination, so that is where Turks will go. It's additional hassle and expense to go anywhere else in the region.
 
[email protected]
Posts: 16616
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2001 6:29 pm

Re: TK .. Istanbul-Havana

Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:06 pm

Jetty wrote:
NichCage wrote:
What kind of market is there in Mogadishu when the country is in an war? Who would even visit Somalia in the first place when it's dangerous?

Many European Somali 'refugees' return to Somalia for vacation.


“Somalia is one of our most profitable destinations worldwide,” Mustafa Ozkahraman, Kenya country manager for Turkish Airlines, told Reuters in an interview.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-turk ... SKCN1BN1CZ
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."
 
gunnerman
Posts: 1193
Joined: Fri May 19, 2017 7:55 pm

Re: TK .. Istanbul-Havana

Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:22 pm

The Mogadishu flights are shared with Djibouti, and they are operated by the 738. It's a lot easier for TK to make African routes profitable with narrow bodies compared with, say, EK's 772s from DXB.
 
User avatar
LAXintl
Posts: 25266
Joined: Wed May 24, 2000 12:12 pm

Re: TK .. Istanbul-Havana

Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:24 pm

NichCage wrote:
I don't really understand why TK launched CCS, but it must be working.


Regardless of the news out of Venezuela, there are people still traveling.

NichCage wrote:
While a little off topic, TK does serve a few war zone destinations. Mogadishu is one of the them for example. What kind of market is there in Mogadishu when the country is in an war? Who would even visit Somalia in the first place when it's dangerous?


MGQ has been extremely successful for TK. Not only Somali ethnic flow from Europe and US, but tons of diplomatic, NGO, media traffic, etc.

Besides the commercial success, the route is also important politically as Turkey is one of the biggest foreign donors/investors in Somalia. Much of Somalia's recent infrastructure (roads/bridges/hospitals/schools) has been built by Turkish firms (including new airport in MGQ) and now there is even a Turkish military base there along with ongoing training of 10,000 Somalia soldiers and 5,000 police officers in Turkey

TK has been quite adept at making routes to troubled nations such as Afghanistan, Iraq, Libya and Somalia which most others avoid make work and generate some of the networks highest profits.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California
 
itchief
Posts: 247
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:15 pm

Re: TK .. Istanbul-Havana

Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:36 pm

luckyone wrote:
jfklganyc wrote:
TravelsUK wrote:
But answer as to why is because it's a popular and increasingly trendy vacation spot.


Scheduled flights and charters from Europe have been operating to Cuba since the late 80's, Cuba has been a very popular destination for sunseekers throughout the world for decades, it's just Americans that have a 'thing' about Cuba and have no understanding of the beauty of the country, the great hotels and the friendly people that live there.

If TK feel they can sell seats to HAV then good luck to them!



Americans dont have a thing.

Our countries had no relations until a few years ago because they had NUCLEAR warheads pointed at us 50 years ago. Kinda like Japanese going to visit North Korea now. The countries barely have relations now. American embassy staff were recently reduced due to an attack.

Finally, US credit cards do not work in Cuba.

All makes traveling to Cuba for Americans unpalitable at present.

I will gladly say I told you so to all of you guys who were predicting that Cuba route authorities would be great for US carriers.

I’ve always found the US attitude toward Cuba very odd when looked at solely in the context of the Cuban Missile Crisis, especially considering the same government didn’t place any restrictions on its citizens traveling to the Soviet Union, the people who put said nuclear warheads in Cuba. And my credit card worked just fine in Russia.

In reality it’s more political than factual. Cuba is a small government that ran afoul of some very monied US interests. And they weren’t big enough to avoid retaliation.[/quote]

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You do know that even with the Cuba route authorities that were issued to airlines Cuba was still not like traveling to Mexico. You had to have a reason for travel that was not tourism like "people-to-people trips". For almost all American citizens travel to Cuba for tourist activities was and still remains prohibited by statute.
 
User avatar
chepos
Posts: 7279
Joined: Sat Dec 02, 2000 9:40 am

Re: TK .. Istanbul-Havana

Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:50 pm

itchief wrote:
luckyone wrote:
jfklganyc wrote:

Scheduled flights and charters from Europe have been operating to Cuba since the late 80's, Cuba has been a very popular destination for sunseekers throughout the world for decades, it's just Americans that have a 'thing' about Cuba and have no understanding of the beauty of the country, the great hotels and the friendly people that live there.

If TK feel they can sell seats to HAV then good luck to them!



Americans dont have a thing.

Our countries had no relations until a few years ago because they had NUCLEAR warheads pointed at us 50 years ago. Kinda like Japanese going to visit North Korea now. The countries barely have relations now. American embassy staff were recently reduced due to an attack.

Finally, US credit cards do not work in Cuba.

All makes traveling to Cuba for Americans unpalitable at present.

I will gladly say I told you so to all of you guys who were predicting that Cuba route authorities would be great for US carriers.

I’ve always found the US attitude toward Cuba very odd when looked at solely in the context of the Cuban Missile Crisis, especially considering the same government didn’t place any restrictions on its citizens traveling to the Soviet Union, the people who put said nuclear warheads in Cuba. And my credit card worked just fine in Russia.

In reality it’s more political than factual. Cuba is a small government that ran afoul of some very monied US interests. And they weren’t big enough to avoid retaliation.


-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You do know that even with the Cuba route authorities that were issued to airlines Cuba was still not like traveling to Mexico. You had to have a reason for travel that was not tourism like "people-to-people trips". For almost all American citizens travel to Cuba for tourist activities was and still remains prohibited by statute.[/quote]

Add to that certain political factions in the US of A want to keep the large militant politically active Cuban American S Florida community happy. Hence why we constantly hear some politicians vilify and push the embargo agenda. Many Americans eat that all up.
Fly the Flag!!!!
 
itchief
Posts: 247
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:15 pm

Re: TK .. Istanbul-Havana

Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:56 am

chepos wrote:
itchief wrote:
luckyone wrote:


Americans dont have a thing.

Our countries had no relations until a few years ago because they had NUCLEAR warheads pointed at us 50 years ago. Kinda like Japanese going to visit North Korea now. The countries barely have relations now. American embassy staff were recently reduced due to an attack.

Finally, US credit cards do not work in Cuba.

All makes traveling to Cuba for Americans unpalitable at present.

I will gladly say I told you so to all of you guys who were predicting that Cuba route authorities would be great for US carriers.

I’ve always found the US attitude toward Cuba very odd when looked at solely in the context of the Cuban Missile Crisis, especially considering the same government didn’t place any restrictions on its citizens traveling to the Soviet Union, the people who put said nuclear warheads in Cuba. And my credit card worked just fine in Russia.

In reality it’s more political than factual. Cuba is a small government that ran afoul of some very monied US interests. And they weren’t big enough to avoid retaliation.


-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You do know that even with the Cuba route authorities that were issued to airlines Cuba was still not like traveling to Mexico. You had to have a reason for travel that was not tourism like "people-to-people trips". For almost all American citizens travel to Cuba for tourist activities was and still remains prohibited by statute.


Add to that certain political factions in the US of A want to keep the large militant politically active Cuban American S Florida community happy. Hence why we constantly hear some politicians vilify and push the embargo agenda. Many Americans eat that all up.[/quote]

I was not really looking for a political opinion. I was just trying to put out the reason why American citizens cannot travel to Cuba for tourism.
 
usflyer msp
Posts: 4052
Joined: Tue May 23, 2000 11:50 am

Re: TK .. Istanbul-Havana

Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:00 am

itchief wrote:
chepos wrote:
itchief wrote:
I’ve always found the US attitude toward Cuba very odd when looked at solely in the context of the Cuban Missile Crisis, especially considering the same government didn’t place any restrictions on its citizens traveling to the Soviet Union, the people who put said nuclear warheads in Cuba. And my credit card worked just fine in Russia.

In reality it’s more political than factual. Cuba is a small government that ran afoul of some very monied US interests. And they weren’t big enough to avoid retaliation.


-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You do know that even with the Cuba route authorities that were issued to airlines Cuba was still not like traveling to Mexico. You had to have a reason for travel that was not tourism like "people-to-people trips". For almost all American citizens travel to Cuba for tourist activities was and still remains prohibited by statute.


Add to that certain political factions in the US of A want to keep the large militant politically active Cuban American S Florida community happy. Hence why we constantly hear some politicians vilify and push the embargo agenda. Many Americans eat that all up.


I was not really looking for a political opinion. I was just trying to put out the reason why American citizens cannot travel to Cuba for tourism.[/quote]

The politics and the embargo cannot be separated - they are directly linked to one another...
 
LH658
Posts: 1279
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:35 am

Re: TK .. Istanbul-Havana

Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:08 am

Mogudishu flights are there cause Turkey has projects going on in Somalia. Air France still stays over night at CCS.
 
Cunard
Posts: 2510
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:45 pm

Re: TK .. Istanbul-Havana

Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:30 am

LH658 wrote:
Mogudishu flights are there cause Turkey has projects going on in Somalia. Air France still stays over night at CCS.


The information regarding the large projects in Somalia financed by Turkey was discussed in great detail by LAXintl a full three hours before your post.

I think that you have a habit of using 'cause' in all of your posts and forgetting that it actually has a 'be' at the front of the word!
94 Countries, 327 Destinations Worldwide, 32 Airlines, 29 Aircraft Types, 182 Airports, 335 Flights.
 
User avatar
jfklganyc
Posts: 6311
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2004 2:31 pm

Re: TK .. Istanbul-Havana

Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:24 pm

The problem with US travel to Cuba

Like much of Obama’s term, he did what he could do without actually addressing the issue with Congress.

Because Congress never lifted the embargo, trump can just undo much of what Obama has done.

United States system of government protects against autocratic rulers by needing an act of CongressTo get anything done.

George W Started the garbage of using executive orders with higher frequency, Obama took it to a whole new level… And now Trump is using executive orders to undo everything Obama did.

In the case of Cuba, It was opened up at the whim of the last president and it’s being tightened At the whim of this president. What has yet to be rectified is an official lifting of the embargo... This would require The united states congress to look the other way on past sins and current sins (which they do with many autocratic regimes)

The Cuba travel economy for Americans will not be a successful venture until that happens
 
Jetty
Posts: 1381
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:27 pm

Re: TK .. Istanbul-Havana

Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:51 pm

Cunard wrote:
LH658 wrote:
I think that you have a habit of using 'cause' in all of your posts and forgetting that it actually has a 'be' at the front of the word!

I think it's perfectly understandable. And you're wrong. Only the ' is missing. That's 'cause: https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/%27cause#English Used since the 15th century even!
 
guyanam
Posts: 3076
Joined: Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:21 pm

Re: TK .. Istanbul-Havana

Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:15 am

[quote=] n reality it’s more political than factual. Cuba is a small government that ran afoul of some very monied US interests. And they weren’t big enough to avoid retaliation.[/quote]


US moneyed interests are very interested in investing in Cuba. What I find interesting is that the same people who champion Cuba because of its "defiance" against US capitalism then whine because of the boycott. One would think that all who think that Cuba is this paradise and that the rest of the Caribbean are hellholes will be overjoyed that "evil US capitalists" cannot easily invest on that island.

In the meantime please understand that Cuba is a crony capitalist island with growing income inequality as "communist" party hacks and the military bed down with capitalists from Europe and elsewhere. And that ordinary Cubans are forced to use hospitals with no drugs and over flowing toilets while these new oligarchs enjoy some of the best healthcare available any where. The mere fact that Dominicans, Jamaicans, and Haitians don't flock to Cuba as they do elsewhere in the Caribbean must suggest that Cubans aren't living this fantastic life that some anti US types like to pontificate that they are.

One can think what ever one wishes to about the USA but is really disgraceful the degree to which many rush to defend a brutal dictatorship only because they hate the USA.
 
Flaps
Posts: 1702
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2000 1:11 pm

Re: TK .. Istanbul-Havana

Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:31 am

TravelsUK wrote:
But answer as to why is because it's a popular and increasingly trendy vacation spot.


Scheduled flights and charters from Europe have been operating to Cuba since the late 80's, Cuba has been a very popular destination for sunseekers throughout the world for decades, it's just Americans that have a 'thing' about Cuba and have no understanding of the beauty of the country, the great hotels and the friendly people that live there.

If TK feel they can sell seats to HAV then good luck to them![/quote]

Americans do not have a "thing" about Cuba and we are well aware of the country's beauty and its wonderful people. We aren't however ALLOWED to go there. You could say that the American Government has a "thing" about Cuba but "we the people" most certainly do not.
 
Cunard
Posts: 2510
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:45 pm

Re: TK .. Istanbul-Havana

Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:44 pm

Actually European charters to Cuba commenced in May 1981.

Cubatours used a Cubana IL-62 on a LGW to HAV flight that operated every other Saturday during the summers of 1981/82.
94 Countries, 327 Destinations Worldwide, 32 Airlines, 29 Aircraft Types, 182 Airports, 335 Flights.
 
richierich
Moderator
Posts: 3632
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2000 5:49 am

Re: TK .. Istanbul-Havana

Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:22 pm

jfklganyc wrote:
TravelsUK wrote:
But answer as to why is because it's a popular and increasingly trendy vacation spot.


Scheduled flights and charters from Europe have been operating to Cuba since the late 80's, Cuba has been a very popular destination for sunseekers throughout the world for decades, it's just Americans that have a 'thing' about Cuba and have no understanding of the beauty of the country, the great hotels and the friendly people that live there.

If TK feel they can sell seats to HAV then good luck to them!



Americans dont have a thing.

Our countries had no relations until a few years ago because they had NUCLEAR warheads pointed at us 50 years ago. Kinda like Japanese going to visit North Korea now. The countries barely have relations now. American embassy staff were recently reduced due to an attack.

Finally, US credit cards do not work in Cuba.

All makes traveling to Cuba for Americans unpalitable at present.

I will gladly say I told you so to all of you guys who were predicting that Cuba route authorities would be great for US carriers.[/quote]

I would have predicted a much stronger US-Cuba market than exists in the current climate but that was based on improved [and improving] political relations between the countries. Yes, the lack of credit cards is an issue and there are other hurdles, but they would have worked their way out eventually. However we have had a regression, and instead of being easier for Americans to visit Cuba, it is harder now than it was that just a year ago, so that certainly hasn't helped. The casual tourist is not very likely to consider Cuba given the challenges of getting there and getting around.

Sure there was an over-saturation of service at the beginning, but services have quickly right-sized (aka condensed) and there is probably more to come. I'm not discussing US-Cuba politics here, but from an aviation POV I hope we don't lose our US carriers' air connections to Cuba. However that would seem to be the way we are heading.
None shall pass!!!!
 
blink182
Posts: 5370
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 1999 3:09 am

Re: TK .. Istanbul-Havana

Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:41 pm

NichCage wrote:
I don't really understand why TK launched CCS, but it must be working.

While a little off topic, TK does serve a few war zone destinations. Mogadishu is one of the them for example. What kind of market is there in Mogadishu when the country is in an war? Who would even visit Somalia in the first place when it's dangerous?


Diplomats and private defense/infrastructure related contractors who are known to pay high fares and require premium class travel. Also that they are the only link to Europe. Without knowing what the yields are, TK, as evidenced by other postings on this thread, is doing very well. VFR traffic is added bonus to fill out the back; this is the same reasoning for why UA was able to sustain IAD-DOH, BAH, and KWI for as long as they did. That, and a single 738 is a line item in TK's capacity.
Give me a break, I created this username when I was a kid...

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos